WebSelfStorage

Web-based, fully integrated management software

Tambi E.

User friendly.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Pros

I loved the convenience of learning the product, and also being able to give feedback on ways to change/update the software.

Cons

Some of the features only worked on some of the Windows versions, therefore compatibility was an issue for some of our users.

Jay W.

Great Improvement from Old Version

Reviewed on 2019/12/31

Excellent, simple and easy. Great support staff, well trained and well lead.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Easy to Train new users. Very mobile functional even for Admin functions. Very cost-effective payment merchant options. Lots of automated functions. New [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has totally turned it around and now improvements are getting made very quickly. Software is easily one of best out there! VERY cost effective and simple to use with one or multiple stores. New customers can be looked in the uhaul db on a national basis for contact information that automatically comes in.

Cons

Needs the revenue management brought into the new version. More reliable centralized mailing reporting. Better reporting for Mobile Digital Walk Around (inventory). API is nearly worthless at this point. Digital signatures on contracts is still pretty basic. Needs an API link with a full function eSign software or integrated eSign functions that are connected to a kiosk app or a website link. Customer portal is still branded like Uhaul and can't be modified for company designs or just trimmed down to be unbranded.

Margaret W.
Industry: Warehousing

Top Notch Technical support.

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

We have already had several customer move in because of Web Self Storage. We are not paying 1 1/2 the first months rent to a foreign company to rent our units. Finally we can answer our own phone calls without going through a third party. It is more economical and are dealing with friendly people.

Pros

I was intimidated by the program at first : however, with the help of rep they have made it seem easy. I am 73 years old and learn easier by hands on. The guidance that me and my team has received has helped immensely. Of course with any new program it is going to be a learning curve, I am thankful to have caring help on the other end..

Cons

It takes longer to take an application. I am sure with time, it will go faster. This is only our first week to be dealing with a new program.
If you are moving over to WebSelfStorage do so after the 10th of the month it makes it much easier.

Response from U-Haul

It is so nice to hear your feedback Margaret! Thank you for being a part of the U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliate Network. If you or anyone on your team ever needs assistance specific to your facility, please utilize our WebSelfStorage Admin team at 866-693-6683 option 1. We are happy to help!

Janis T.

Web Self Storage success

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

Very happy we use Web Self Storage

Pros

We have used the program for 3 years. At first there were a few bugs they were working out. Now it seems most of the bugs have been solved.
We have very good support from Web Self Storage. They are very pleasant to work with and are always ready to assist us in any way possible.
Posting a move-in of a customer is fantastic, the forms are printed at the end of the completion of the entry.
The reports are fantastic to let you know who did what, the management reports of what your rents and sales have been. Comparison reports. All reports are so helpful in running your self-storage business.
The ease of finding your customers, making payments, entering the contract is so helpful.
The company keeps records of the letters and statements sent to you customers.
Help is readily available for all questions you have.

The program provides templates for contract, letters, late notices and on. To change the written statement is sometimes a little challenging, but with the customer support you can work all challenges out.

Recently they provide online webinars which are so very informative. We usually pick up time saving information and new features.

I would recommend this program highly.

Cons

It takes a little time to change the letters templates in getting the spacing right.

Daniel W.

Great option for Self-Storage Software

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

Pros

As someone who likes to stay ahead of the curve, I was very interested in managing a location remotely. Once I found out that WSS offered this solution I jumped at the opportunity. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at the contact center has been incredibly helpful in setting up the Remote Move In process and I do believe this is the way the Self-Storage industry is heading. I really appreciate the quality of the reports associated with WSS; the reports are easy to read and full of useful information. The software has a nice, modern look to it that is very user-friendly. Customer service is typically very responsive and able to assist with any issues we are having.

Cons

The remote move in process is still very new so there are obviously issues we run into along the way. Mainly being that the staff at the contact center is new as well and are not fully familiar with the remote move in process. This has lost us sales in the past from customers who were ready to move in, but the contact center was unable to complete the task. Thus, bringing more customers to our competition in the surrounding area. I understand this is a relatively new process so I am understanding of the transition, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been very helpful in communicating with me and helping smooth out the process.

Armand D.

5 star customer service

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

Five stars to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] for her in-depth knowledge and patience with a 1 hour and 11 minute Q&A review of system features. She had the answer to every question, which was pretty amazing. Thanks to her excellent service we are able to better serve our customers!
Kudos to the WebSelfStorage team as well for constantly excellent service!

Pros

Customer service; technical and administrative support.

Cons

We are still learning the new walk around report.

Eric T.

Do NOT purchase into WSS at least for the remainder of 2018

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

WSS 2.7 is only serving to hinder our business and lose us money.

Pros

It looks cleaner than the original WSS, and it automatically saves now. That's about it.

I don't know what else to say.

Cons

I've been using WSS for about 5 years. I'm an Admin, I'm our trainer, I'm our new facility integrator; The original WSS was very rough around the edges. It looked like it was originally programmed and the UI sculpted the day the internet came out, BUT it worked and had a ton of functionality.

When they "updated" they removed a lot of key features. I'm talking KEY features, like managing your rent raises. Features they know are important because every time I ask "Where is XYZ located now" the answer is always "our developers are working on that, but I cannot provide you with an ETA".

This updated was forced. It's extremely buggy. It is a complete headache at times trying to properly record your facility's financial data, from a gross overview to simply taking a payment for an individual account and seeing the ledger properly update.

Its like they didn't beta test or were forced by the TOP executives to push out an incomplete product.

I will NEVER trade functionality for an updated look. You took a perfectly good product and ruined it for the sake of looking trendy.

Not to mention that one of the best things about WSS was its chat support and affiliate network support... where you could quickly get help locating a function or resolving an issue; but their support systems are completely over-loaded at this point. I'm talking about 4-8 hour wait times minimum, and this is a month after the update.

This is a broken product as of right now, stay away.

Bobbi J.

Horrible. This whole upgrade" from the old version has been an absolute nightmare.

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Clients can autopay or pay online

Pros

The old software was great. We have been happy with it and have been using it for years. Wish we had the option to not "upgrade" to the new version, or at the very least go back to the old version. We were not offered an option. We are now stuck with this nightmare of a product until we have enough time to research and find a different product to switch to. Not enough time for researching other products right now since there are so many bugs with WebSelfStorage. We have so many day-to-day tasks and our customers who keep us hopping even when there are no bugs in a system. We do plan to switch. **There have been issues with gate security, privacy security, letters not printing correctly, no email history, ledgers incorrect, and accounts with credits that were not transferring correctly. Just to name a few... They should have tested their product much more extensively prior to releasing it. They have essentially forced their customers to be their "beta testers" and to suffer the effects of a substandard product. This was not a very nice thing to do to their customers. The real "Pro" of this product is that we have an option to go elsewhere.

Cons

There are security issues that cannot be mentioned here, for fear of them being exploited by not-so-ethical entities. We are currently working on a "fix" or "work-around" at this point for those other security issues. However, there is one security issue that should be noted before ever allowing WSS/UHAUL access to a client list and gate codes. This issue has been fixed on our end and in our situation (but only after we were forced to hire a digigate expert and paid money for help in fixing issues that were caused by the "upgrade" to the new WSS.) WSS technical employees had left us hanging and waiting for a supervisor to call or email. No supervisor ever attempted to help us. This main issue that had to be fixed was 300+ renters (who were not ours & unknown to us) AND their gate codes were loaded by WebSelfStorage into OUR digigate system. WE HAD ACCESS TO ANOTHER facilities gate codes and the names of their renters (all strangers to us)!!!! Even after we would clear them out of our digigate system, WSS still kept loading them back into our gate. Our digigate expert successfully cleared them out & fixed issues that were caused by WSS, then contacted the WSS tech employees to help them fix the problem on their end. So far they no longer load to our system. We do wonder though, if our gate codes could have been given to another facility as well. Although there are many reasons why this product should not be utilized, the biggest "Con"cern for us was this issue.

Nik B.

STAY AWAY!!!!

Reviewed on 2018/09/05

We are canceled our account after only 2 weeks due to a several reasons. To start our bad experience starting off when all of our tenants we getting switched over and logged into the WebSelfStorage program was less than stellar. The tech did not communicate anything very well and seemed rather put out that she had to do anything or answer any of my questions. we generally don't like the fact we had to be limped along on the "old" version and didn't get to start off the bat on the latest version and wouldn't be updated for 30 days. It really didn't live up to our expectations when we applied it to our business. Not to mention the demo we got to navigate was the newest latest version. We really don't like how nowhere on the tenants account can you view how many days late they are. It only says Delinquent or in Lien. You have to go to a separate report to find the days late. We need to be able to have multiple gate codes for a few of our tenants and your program does NOT allow for that. We would have to make a separate account for each gate code. And lastly, We didn't get set up with the right account number. We are a Uhaul dealer and should have been set up with the same dealer number in order to get the discount. Then when we canceled they said it would be 30 days before they could shut our account down. So since we did not use the system any more it was still sending out late payments to all of our tenants via email with no way to change it other than deleting the accts

Pros

There is very little to like about this software. The only advantages I found with it was the price and Uhaul will mail out your letters for the cost of a stamp. There are a few nice reports it can generate and its fairly easy to make a site map of your facility and that's about it.

Cons

First off you can only have ONE gate code per customer. so if you have a business that is storing with you and they want to have separate gate codes for each employee you can't or you have to make separate ghost units for every extra gate access code.

Nowhere on the tenants account can you view how many days late they are. It only says Delinquent or in Lien.

Uhaul should just stick to truck and trailer rental!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shanin M.
Industry: Real Estate

Upgrade?? They mean downgrade !!

Reviewed on 2018/12/08

You know the old saying "If it aint broke, Don't fix it" ? Well uhaul should have taken that literally!!!

Pros

The old webselfstorage version was very user friendly, I loved it! I was excited for the upgrade and new features… that was a bust. The best thing about it was the message board.

Cons

Customer service does not exist. If you do get a hold of someone wether through live chat or on the phone they have no idea how to help and just tell you they are working on it. I feel sorry for the techs because they get all of our complaints and can't even fix them. they should have tested this software with some small facilities before forcing the bigger ones into it. Now we have to deal with all the nonsense of nothing working. I can't even move a customer out anymore, it took a 28 days for them to help me get a tenant moved out. We lost all cc info on files, the invoices are so messed up tenants are called daily to find out why they are in auction status when they just paid. My lock outs have me lock someone out for 1 day late when I have it set to 6 days. Sometimes my summary reports don't even show half my cash intakes for that day. I could go on and on about how bad this upgrade is but I think everyone else has already covered it.

David S.

Product Is Great!!

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

Overall it is user friendly. Payments are easy. We have a call center service that we pay $215.00 a month for. This allows me to be on the property helping my customer, while someone else helps another customer over the phone! I would say consider this product, It is cost effective, and I personally LOVE the support I get from Uhaul Affiliate support network when it comes to any and all issues.

Pros

1) What I love the most about Web Self Storage is the mobile walk around feature. I walk my property every day when performing a lock action report, and if i find a unit that needs cleaning from a over night move out, or a unit that has a rusted door handle, broken latch you name it, I CAN TAKE A PHOTO AND ATTACH IT to the customers Storage unit Digitally :). When I am done with the walk around and I am in the office, I can log into the same website, and access those photos attached to the units, documenting history of my units! It is nice not to have to email myself a photo, create a folder on my computer to document important things like this.

2) Also, Check out the Call center. Yes, it is a monthly Expense. BUT I get 3 move ins a month on average on my storage facility Because some is always picking up the phone. They also will make U-Haul reservations for your store if you have a U-Haul Dealership, and notes for customer storage units and more! I save money on payroll by having this product.

3) $45.00 a month to do all of this stuff I listed and more! Thats 1 of my 5x5 Customers monthly rent and then its paid for.

Cons

1) Currently, I am frustrated with how quickly the ledger updates with reversals, and how it reports/ Displays itself. For the most part, 20 minutes of staring at the screen will help you learn it, like any program you are not familiar with.
2) The walk around list display. It does not have a option that will allow you to display your room numbers from numerical order. I spent 5 hours editing 436 rooms individually to create a walk around report that would make my property walk around easier.

Bentley A.
Industry: Warehousing

Solid. Setbacks and mistakes happen but their customer support really is second to none.

Reviewed on 2019/12/30

Ups and downs but they have always been the most affordable software.

Pros

The customer support. Their team is really trying to create better software for us and it shows.

Cons

It used to be their lack of access to real support but this last year has seen a solid 180.

Colin S.

Shalimar Self Storage Converts to WSS from Sitelink

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

I've had a great experience with WebSelfStorage. While some competitors may have similar features, I found the functionality and cost of WSS to be unmatchable.

Pros

“I had worked for U-Haul Moving and Storage as a Customer Service Rep, Assistant Manager, General Manager, and Area Field Manager for several years, so I knew the value of the program and was much more familiar with that operating system. Not to mention, our location was already a U-Haul Dealer, so the change to become a self-storage affiliate as well was a no brainer.”

“This platform is far cheaper than what Sitelink was charging us monthly for, in my opinion, an inferior product. We do pay extra for the call center, but this has helped us to answer any questions our tenants may have after office hours, as well as making payments, and receiving reservations for our empty units. Centralized mailing may have had the largest impact for us as a company so far. Under prior management, days were spent trying to type up rate increase letters and auction notices. Not to mention, half of them were never even mailed. Now with WebSelfStorage, we are provided with a letter template for various actions common among the storage industry. We then can have them mailed directly to our customers at standard postage costs. It's beautiful when the whole system ties together, it makes for much less hassle.”

The newest version is much more user friendly than the past.”

“The most impressive aspect of WebSelfStorage since signing up in June is the support. I know in the past extended support would cost the location if they wanted phone contact with a representative outside of their setup windo

Cons

Over the phone customer support was once charged to the customer, now with the new version of WSS, it is much easier to get any questions you have answered. Sometimes you will have to wait if they are busy, but once you speak to a representative, they make it very easy for you to access them when needed.

Response from U-Haul

Thanks for your feedback Colin! We always look forward to hearing from our Affiliates!

Bob C.
Industry: Real Estate

Best self storage managemetn software for the money!

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Pros

we have used web self storage at multiple facilities over the years and have always found it to be easy to use, manager and customer friendly and easy for our accounting folks to use. For the price, we have an easy to use management software, very low credit card processing fees, a built in tenant insurance program and a listing on Uhaul.com. we cannot get all of those benefits in one place and especially for the price.

while setting up our most recent self storage facility acquisition on webs self storage, the tech staff could not have been more helpful, our other vendors such as our call center agents have complimented web self storage's staff on how easy they have been to work with.

we highly recommend this software for the independent self storage owner and operator.

Cons

still need to work out bugs for fully functioning online rentals

Response from U-Haul

Thanks for your feedback Bob! We are always happy to hear from our Affiliates! If you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out!

Toni Colasso
U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliate Network
866-693-6683

David F.

WebSelfStorage

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

We have used WebSelfStorage for the past 5 - 6 years and have grown with the product including several iterations of the software and several minor (and one major) upgrade. We have found that the support to be great and very helpful.
Overall our experience has been a good one.

Pros

The software is the backbone of how we run our storage & retail point of sale operation.
It is intuitive and helps us operate our entire operation.
I like the ease of use, the reporting for storage and the mapping features.

Cons

At times it does go down.
The retail functionality could be more intuitive regarding the sale of retail merchandise. I feel the retail point of sale functionality and reports tools are very limiting.

Response from U-Haul

Thank you David! We always appreciate hearing from our Affiliates. Please feel free to contact us directly with any feedback, we are happy to hear from you. Out toll free # is 1-866-693-6683 option 1.

Danny V.
Industry: Retail

Webstorage review

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

Pros

Site map, customers access to U-Haul storage payment and call center options

Cons

Charges for reservations and computer not opening when website is having problems.

Response from U-Haul

It is so nice to hear your feedback Danny! Thank you for being a part of the U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliate Network. If you or anyone on your team ever needs assistance specific to your facility, please utilize our WebSelfStorage Admin team at 866-693-6683 option 1. We are happy to help!

Pat M.
Company size: Self Employed

Great software at an excellent value.

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

With the new design and update, all processes are clearer and easier to handle.

Pros

Since the recent major update, the software is easier to use, integrated with security gate, communicates with customers either automatically or individualized. The help chat staff is knowledgeable and efficient, and the wait is usually only a few minutes. Easy to print leases from tenant information. For the price it can’t be beat!

Cons

Photo id’s are not integrated on the lease, although there are prompts to make copies.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Karen A.

Kudos to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/02/06

I needed some extensive history files on a client, as she was taking us to small claims court and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] went above and beyond in digging up the old file and sending me all that I requested. Kudos to her as it was very much appreciated!!!! Karen Apple

Pros

Some areas of the new WSS software is better. Like the fact that you have the option to delete a credit card charge, before saving, if say you accidentally did not put in the correct amount to charge.

Cons

Tech support took away the message box on the "letters" feature. This leaves me no way to correspond with client concerning a letter unless I generate ANOTHER email to client which has been reported " this is very annoying to receive 2 emails." Tech support gave me a reason (afraid clients would think it was spam mail & not open) but that doesn't seem like a valid reason. I would really like to see the message box added back onto the letters feature. I was told my name would be added to the complaint list about this. If there is a "LIST" shouldn't that tell you other WSS users want it back? Please return this feature as soon as possible. Also cannot retrieve past clients. I'm in a college town & have A LOT of returning clients. Being able to retrieve their past info would be very beneficial and time-saving for me.

Michael C.

Transcending Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

I have used many Software Programs over the past 30+ years in the storage industry. My first software experience was with DOS based systems. I have used other Web based programs and have felt the pain of there costs and desired a more cost effective management software. I don't require a great deal of interaction between the provider but occasionally need some help. WebSelfStorage, is always been there when we needed help.

Pros

Cost, Functionality, and ease of use! aa

Cons

I not being paid to use it. aaaaaaaaaaaa

Response from U-Haul

It is so nice to hear your feedback Curtis! Thank you for being a part of the U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliate Network. If you or anyone on your team ever needs assistance specific to your facility, please utilize our WebSelfStorage Admin team at 866-693-6683 option 1. We are happy to help!

Jeanie E.

If you need help be prepared to wait a looooooong time

Reviewed on 2016/11/08

We have been using Web Self Storage for the better part of 7 years. The program has remained the same. What has changed is the service. You can call and ask for help and sit on hold for an hour or more and be charged a dollar a minute, or you can use the on line chat and start out with 20 people in front of you and an hour later be 12th in line. They have outgrown themselves. Until they put on more people that can answer questions, I would not suggest that new users buy into it. It was not like this in years past. If you want to grow a business you must also grow your support staff and Emove missed that memo.

Pros

most reports

Cons

Support staff is grossly under staffed. 1+ hours to have an online chat answered is ridiculous!Staff for the business that you have not what you had.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Sue B.

My WebSelfStorage Experience

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

I highly recommend the WebSelfStorage software and the support personnel to help your facility run very efficiently

Pros

Being new to the self-storage industry, we have achieved a relative amount of success from the support we get from the WebSelfStoragestaff and the software system that helps our facilities run very smoothly.

Every time I call and have an issue, it is literally resolved in a matter of minutes.

Everyone is professional courteous and so nice to work with.

Cons

I don't have any cons regarding the program at this time.

Response from U-Haul

Thank you Sue for your feedback! We always appreciate hearing from our Affiliates. Thank you for being a part of the U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliate Network!

Cache B.
Industry: Real Estate

Best choice I made for my new storage facility!

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Exactly what I was hoping for in terms of a functional program that was easy to use and show employees. Makes the move in process for customers extremely easy.

Pros

I am still very new to WebSelfStorage, but am quickly realizing its capabilities. The Sitemap is such a great tool that not only helps customers find the unit for them, but also speeds up the move-in process for the facility.

I can’t say enough good things about [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team’s guidance has been absolutely crucial. This is my first storage facility and I would feel lost without their help. I have had so many questions, and they offer timely, patient and thorough explanations. Even better - this team is not only extremely helpful, but also very easy to get a hold of. WebSelfStorage can seem intimidating, but the team has graciously walked me through all the steps and quickly helped me get my first customers in the door. Thanks for the support! I would happily recommend them to anyone.

Cons

I do not have any cons for using this program.

Response from U-Haul

Thank you Cache for your feedback! We always appreciate hearing from our Affiliates. I am happy to hear Tommy was so helpful! Thank you for being a part of the U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliate Network.

Shelby P.
Industry: Warehousing

Perhaps I'm a little too picky

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Pros

Being able to use either the room number or client name makes it easy to find the appropriate account. It's nice to be able to save the payment type: that makes processing payments easier for us and less time consuming for our client. Auto pay is great - I wish every client would utilize that option!

Cons

I like to use my mouse as little as possible: it would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts to perform functions. When processing a payment, it would be nice to be able to tab out of the amount being paid to the payment type.

Response from U-Haul

We always appreciate hearing from our Affiliates, thank you for your feedback!

Laura F.
Industry: Warehousing

Solid Tool to Manage your customer base!

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

What I like most is.... if I EVER get stuck, I can call Customer Support. They answer the phone quickly, and solve my issues. It saves me SO much time, and I've trained my staff - "Just call if you don't know how to do something!"

Pros

It's functionality. History, Letters/Notes, Notices/Mailings, Auto Billing. Very comprehensive. Reports are a big help too!

Cons

The Message Center. It's clumsy. But they are working on it.

Response from U-Haul

Thank you Laura! We always appreciate hearing from our Affiliates. Please feel free to contact us directly with any feedback, we are happy to hear from you. Out toll free # is 1-866-693-6683 option 1.

James M.
Industry: Consumer Services

Exit 1 storage

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

Overall so far it’s been a good experience and everyone has been very helpful along the way.

Pros

Like the ability to call someone or online chat with them to help me with issues when they arise and they are always very helpful

Cons

Not being able to have full control over how rooms are listed and termed. I would like for my units to be described as temperature controlled rooms instead of climate controlled rooms and that is something that can’t be fixed. I would like to see the site map more user friendly like site links. When you move mouse over top of unit I wish the screen on the right would auto populate the customers info