TaxJar

Sales tax calculation, reporting & filing automation

4,6
4,6
Tracy H.

Calculating taxes for several states and countless municipalities is daunting, TaxJar made it easy.

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Taxes can be complicated and we did have some questions along the way. TaxJar always got back to us.

Pros

It handled all aspects of our sales tax needs. We used it to manage real-time calculations so we collected the correct amounts. Then we used the TaxJar service that also files the taxes with each state. When we did have questions, they had answers. This allowed us to focus on the more important aspects of our business.

Daven S.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Excellent product for most online sellers battling with interstate sales tax nexus

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Overall experience has been great. It took some time to get set up because we have back sales we needed to import. But once everything was operational it saved us time each and every month.

Pros

If you are on online seller with nexus in multiple states, this software will save you time.
For marketplaces like eEbay and Amazon, sales are imported automatically and you are able to set up auto-file for the states which you have Nexus and need to file.

Cons

If you sell items through an online marketplace which is a qualified "marketplace facilitator" you will currently not be able to upload items in a straightforward way with the basic account. At this point in time, they make you upgrade to the plus version before you have the features to upload items via CSV to have them report as a marketplace facilitator.

Abdullah M.
Industry: Retail

Please do not Waste your money in this company

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/30

Horrible!! Now I am looking for an alternative. If someone ever pays me a million dollars, I will never sign up with these guys.

Pros

I signed up with this company since the start of my business back in 2014. After signing up installation was pretty easy as all I had to do is install the plugin and few clicks it was all set. So, I never needed a human interaction. December 2018 I updated my software, since then this plugin isn't working. What that means is, this software did not collect a single tax from customer. I file my taxes quarterly. In January i logged in to get the report, that's when I discovered that tax jar is not collecting any taxes. Due to my busy schedule I couldn't contact them right away. Then when I finally did contact them by sending them an email, I did not get a response from these guys for over a month. Then I sent a follow up email beginning of this month. I am still waiting on the resolution. What is the issue you may ask? When I try to connect my store (magento 1), it gives an 301 redirects. They told me it has something to do with my server side. Hosting company saying they don't see anything wrong with my site or the server.

They do not provide any phone service. So, all these communication is going on via email. Wanna hear the response time? First email sent on May 6th, didn't hear anything back from them until 2 days later. Sometimes I am going 2/3 without any response.

Cons

- No Phone Support
- Email support takes 2/3 days to a week, sometimes no response
- Basically no support

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Industry: Computer Software

Super-simple API integration to add tax handling to a web application

Reviewed on 2017/12/13

Easy addition of tax handling to our web application.

Pros

TaxJar was very easy for us to implement, didn't require hoops and red tape to get setup, and has been foolproof for us so far. The error messages (when our input is incorrect, for example) have been clean and easy to correct. It's a great comfort knowing we don't have to worry about the tax implications of transactions -- we just submit the data to TaxJar and they tell us how much to charge. Awesome!

Cons

The API does not yet have a way to automate creation of new accounts (if you are building a framework using TaxJar for multiple clients this does add the additional step of having to require the client to create their own account).

Tilmann G.
Industry: Cosmetics

This is one of those `invisble helpers you cannot live without.

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

I peace of mind! All I can say.

Pros

Best support to handle sales taxes with omni channel business. Our omni channel sale tax collection is on auto pilot. It integrates flawlessly with amazon and Shopify and we haven't had any issue at all. TaxJar just does the job.

We've been using TaxJar for almost 2 years and couldn't be happier with the outstanding value

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

extremely easy to implement, use and service levels are outstanding. The product is extremely accurate - love the the automated state filings which saves tremendous time critical for a small organization.

Nice for State Taxes

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

I like all of it, got the 30 day free trial. It's great to use Taxjar if you're selling online, makes managing state sales taxes for shipments easy. State sales tax is a huge pain for most businesses just because taxes are so different across states, but Taxjar makes it simple.

Pros

It integrates with Walmart, Amazon, Shopify, and most other major online sellers, makes taxes for selling multichannel very easy. The integration is fast and sends data automatically.

Cons

They could always add more channels, but Taxjar has the big channels covered.

Carmen R.

Taxjar is very easy to use taxes can be complicated but it is easy with this application

Reviewed on 2018/04/07

I like this application because it is easy for our clients to make sales tax payments and to integrate accounting software, it is easy and convenient

Pros

Cons

It can be a bit expensive if you are a business with thousands of transactions per month. It may be more profitable to hire someone to do it for you at that time.

Centralizes and Aggregates a Ton of Information

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Pros

Tax Jar helps me take 10,000 orders and pulls information like zipcodes so that I can figure out exactly how much tax is owed in each individual municipality. It centralizes policy, and knows if I have a nexus in each state and how much I owe in each locality. It knows things like if shipping and giftwrapping are taxable in states. I can't imagine running my small business without it.

Cons

The interface stinks - I frequently have to have 6 or 7 tabs open at once just to fill out one state's tax return. But, I'll take function over fashion on this one.

Tomer D.
Industry: Animation

save me ton of time

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Pros

this is life saver, do the whole amazon/ebay orders sales tax process smooth!

Cons

not sure if they offer submission service and filing sales tax that would be great

Anne Z.
Company size: Self Employed

TaxJar is the ONLY way to collect state sales tax for eCommerce!

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

One of my lifeline go to products to run my eCommerce Internet sales business. It pulls in info from Amazon, eBay and PayPal to calculate which states I owe sales tax too. I was a life saver when I went compliant regarding my FBA sales tax. Thanks TaxJar!

Pros

TaxJar has an ease of use that once you are set up, you are good to go. They make registering for states you have nexus in a breeze. I started with my home state of CA and worked with it for over a year before becoming compliant with other states that I had nexus in for Amazon FBA. As an eCommerce seller I was able to easily link to my eBay and PayPal accounts. They pull in the info needed and on a monthly basis I can see which states I have to make payment to. I easily log into the states websites and submit everything online. Such a time saver I can't even tell you. They give you step by step instructions for everything having to so with EACH and every state in the USA. Simply the best! As a solopreneur, I am my own book-keeper and accountant. I have all the info in TaxJar to make my business run regarding sales tax.

Cons

While I haven't yet used autopay, where they would do my filing, I hesitate because my sales are not great. I wish the fee was based on how much or how little one sold. I would use in a New York minute if that were the case.

Geri C.

Takes the pain out of paying my salestax

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

Worry free tax filing and tracking.

Pros

The best thing about TaxJar is the ability to connect it to my Amazon store and it monitors all of the sales tax that needs to be submitted and filed. I also use the added service of letting TaxJar actually submit my tax return. Saves me time and frees me to do things that will help me grow my business.

Cons

I rarely even visit my TaxJar account because it is automated and there's really nothing for me to do. I do check in once in a while to make sure it's tracking everything correctly. There is no real con for me so far.

Jamie S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Tax Jar has solved our sales tax problems. This is the perfect solution for ecommerce companies.

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

It saves us so much time by filing returns or manually tracking sales tax rates. Their website also has so much beneficial information on sales tax issues.

Pros

This was the easiest plug in that our IT has integrated with our Magento Website. I love that it can collect and auto-file in every state. Customer support always answers our questions quickly and accurately. The interface is user friendly.

Cons

The updates this year have solved any lacking areas we saw when we first started using Tax Jar. There are a couple of times Tax Jar has charged tax when it should have not, but the percent this has happened is less than 0.001% and the number of transactions we have seen this on has decreased each month.

Tyneisha S.

Takes The Headache Out Of Sales Tax Collection

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/24

What I really liked about Taxjar was the fact that it made an intimidating subject a lot easier for me. Having to collect and remit sales tax can be a challenge for a beginning business owner, but this software takes some of the pressure off.

Pros

I signed up for TaxJar as an effort to simplify my online business when it came to taxes. I needed help not only determining which states I had nexus in, but also with automatic tracking of sales tax collection. Taxjar helped me with both, and when it came time to file, TaxJar gave me notifications so I would not be late. Even better, there is an option to auto file, so I barely had to worry about it at all. They also have a great blog and newsletter to keep you up to date with the latest tax news and tips.

Cons

There were some times when I first started my business that my sales were low, but there is no flexible pricing option for those times. Depending on how you are doing you may not be making enough to justify the cost. It really depends on each person's business however.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Michael O.
Industry: Retail

I am so grateful for this service!

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Pros

I love just about everything about Taxjar - the interface takes a little getting used to but they have tutorials for everything; the reports are spot-on and they have APIs for everything that I need for my business. Customer service is always clear, concise and professional.

Cons

I think that the auto-filing fees are a bit high. I wish the pricing for this feature could be changed based on how may filings you have per month, maybe?

Tim M.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Saves our business time and money

Reviewed on 2018/10/11

TaxJar is a great alternative to Avalara in terms of price and functionality. The service leaves something to be wanted at the lower end of the pricing scheme. Overall, it does what we need it to do.

Pros

TaxJar is a fully featured taxation product for our e-commerce business. I'm amazed that something so fully featured is available at such a low price. It integrates with our e-commerce plugin WooCommerce.

Cons

The service at the low price point is very poor. It feels like they do this intentionally to get you to upgrade.

John j. S.

If I could rate TaxJar 10 star, I would

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

Customer service is excellent. We find the software a critical part of our monthly and quarterly sales and use tax process. We allow TaxJar to auto file for our large volume states, saving us hours of work. We manually file our other states and TaxJar’s organization makes its incredibly easy and, in our view, a critical part of our financial work.

Pros

The depth of organization and ease of data acces.

Cons

There is nothing I can think of - TaxJar even highlights states where I might have nexus

Greg B.

Great customer service and execution

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

They are making calculating sales simple and efficient for my website - whereas this could be a nightmare to do manually and not a good use of my time. Their customer service has been outstanding.

Cons

I've had no issues to date with the software - we launched in August and I have had not had any challenges to report.

Emma J.

I am not familiar with state sales taxes at all, and TaxJar made it so much easier!

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

Pros

I can have all my states in one place and see all the statuses. I love that customer service is quick to respond and helpful to people who know nothing about state taxes such as myself.

Cons

It is difficult to navigate when you don't know much about taxes. Specifically when I try to autofile and don't owe any taxes, I have to create mock files. This is almost impossible to figure out on the platform without customer support being involved to explain.

Sean W.
Industry: Accounting

Relieves the stress of sale tax

Reviewed on 2018/03/17

Pros

I refer this software to my clients that pay sales tax in multiple states. It helps them calculate and remit their sales tax in a timely and accurate manner. I have multiple clients that use this software for sales tax and lodging tax and they love it!

Cons

Can become a bit pricey if you are a business with thousands of transactions per month. It may be more cost effective to hire someone to do it for you at that point.

Cherri N.
Industry: Retail

Solves multi-state tax collection issues with clear and easy to understand soltuion.

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/01/18

Pros

Best is there is NO Contract! You can use them without the fear of being locked in for a long term. Their solution is easy to use, no real accounting background needed. Integrates with most shopping carts or marketplaces. Easy to reach support team. Takes the fear out of sales tax reporting.

Cons

No issues yet. The dashboard is clear and easy to use.

Maxwell L.
Industry: Retail

Great if you distribute taxes to multiple states

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Pros

I had the free trial of this for my Amazon business. They recently decided that Amazon sellers need to pay tax in every state (which is crazy). So Amazon does not give you a total amount of taxes you owe every state, you would have to manually add it from the spreadsheets they provide. This is where TaxJar comes in, and it was a godsend to Amazon sellers. This was super simple to use and it showed me exactly what I owed in each state. For me, it wasn't worth having a monthly subscription because I paid state sales tax annually.

Cons

The only con of this software was the membership pricing. I wish they had a one-time use fee for people who pay sales tax annually rather than having month to month or annual fees.

Ryan R.

Not user friendly

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/02/28

It was not a great experience using tax jar. I wouldn't recommend it.

Pros

Tax Jar is a one stop place for all your business tax needs. I did like the promise of taking care of my business sales taxes for me.

Cons

I did not think tax jar was very user friendly. It was hard to understand how to make things work for my business. whenever I tried to set it up, I just became more frustrated. I finally gave up and cancelled my subscription.

Response from TaxJar

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for TaxJar! We're sorry you found it challenging to figure out how to make TaxJar work for your business. We pride ourselves on our Truly Human customer support - it's one of the reasons so many e-commerce businesses choose TaxJar over other sales tax management options. In addition to our support team, we have thorough documentation regarding how to setup your account on our Support website: https://support.taxjar.com/.

We would love the opportunity to hear more about why you didn't find the product to be user-friendly. If you'd be open to discuss this more, please reach out to [email protected]

Sincerely,
TaxJar

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Art S.

Extremely Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Extreme time savings. Could not conduct sales tax without this software.

Pros

Saves me days of time by automating everything that has to do with sales tax. Customer support is fast and friendly.

Cons

I would love to see more educational tips and suggestions around the individual states and difficulty levels around filing manually. There are some states where it is almost impossible to do it yourself.

Hyunjoo H.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Your ultimate destination for sales tax management!

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/09/19

I love it!

Pros

First of all, it is super easy to enroll and use. It automatically transfers the sales tax information from my amazon.com seller central and put them on my account of TaxJar. It is easy to understand and they not only display my state's sales tax but other states too.

Second, it offers a lot of sales tax related articles and videos that you could read or watch and learn from. I like the video that tells me how to file and remit taxes and it is so easy. It saves tens of hours. I can't imagine filing it without TaxJar and what a headache it might be.

Third, the software and its site is beautifully designed and very user-friendly. They are good at it and I see this company will be more successful in future as we are having a new sales tax wave.

Cons

I wish they offer better (Cheaper) pricing.