TaxJar

Sales tax calculation, reporting & filing automation

Daven S.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Excellent product for most online sellers battling with interstate sales tax nexus

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Overall experience has been great. It took some time to get set up because we have back sales we needed to import. But once everything was operational it saved us time each and every month.

Pros

If you are on online seller with nexus in multiple states, this software will save you time.
For marketplaces like eEbay and Amazon, sales are imported automatically and you are able to set up auto-file for the states which you have Nexus and need to file.

Cons

If you sell items through an online marketplace which is a qualified "marketplace facilitator" you will currently not be able to upload items in a straightforward way with the basic account. At this point in time, they make you upgrade to the plus version before you have the features to upload items via CSV to have them report as a marketplace facilitator.

Abdullah M.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Please do not Waste your money in this company

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

Horrible!! Now I am looking for an alternative. If someone ever pays me a million dollars, I will never sign up with these guys.

Pros

I signed up with this company since the start of my business back in 2014. After signing up installation was pretty easy as all I had to do is install the plugin and few clicks it was all set. So, I never needed a human interaction. December 2018 I updated my software, since then this plugin isn't working. What that means is, this software did not collect a single tax from customer. I file my taxes quarterly. In January i logged in to get the report, that's when I discovered that tax jar is not collecting any taxes. Due to my busy schedule I couldn't contact them right away. Then when I finally did contact them by sending them an email, I did not get a response from these guys for over a month. Then I sent a follow up email beginning of this month. I am still waiting on the resolution. What is the issue you may ask? When I try to connect my store (magento 1), it gives an 301 redirects. They told me it has something to do with my server side. Hosting company saying they don't see anything wrong with my site or the server.

They do not provide any phone service. So, all these communication is going on via email. Wanna hear the response time? First email sent on May 6th, didn't hear anything back from them until 2 days later. Sometimes I am going 2/3 without any response.

Cons

- No Phone Support
- Email support takes 2/3 days to a week, sometimes no response
- Basically no support

Carmen R.

Taxjar is very easy to use taxes can be complicated but it is easy with this application

Reviewed on 2018/04/07

I like this application because it is easy for our clients to make sales tax payments and to integrate accounting software, it is easy and convenient

Pros

Cons

It can be a bit expensive if you are a business with thousands of transactions per month. It may be more profitable to hire someone to do it for you at that time.

Tyneisha S.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Takes The Headache Out Of Sales Tax Collection

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

What I really liked about Taxjar was the fact that it made an intimidating subject a lot easier for me. Having to collect and remit sales tax can be a challenge for a beginning business owner, but this software takes some of the pressure off.

Pros

I signed up for TaxJar as an effort to simplify my online business when it came to taxes. I needed help not only determining which states I had nexus in, but also with automatic tracking of sales tax collection. Taxjar helped me with both, and when it came time to file, TaxJar gave me notifications so I would not be late. Even better, there is an option to auto file, so I barely had to worry about it at all. They also have a great blog and newsletter to keep you up to date with the latest tax news and tips.

Cons

There were some times when I first started my business that my sales were low, but there is no flexible pricing option for those times. Depending on how you are doing you may not be making enough to justify the cost. It really depends on each person's business however.

Greg B.

Great customer service and execution

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

They are making calculating sales simple and efficient for my website - whereas this could be a nightmare to do manually and not a good use of my time. Their customer service has been outstanding.

Cons

I've had no issues to date with the software - we launched in August and I have had not had any challenges to report.

Elieser G.

Super Easy to use, and the most important part is the accuracy.

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

time, accuracy, projected cash flow of my business

Pros

Time saver, We have full confidence and trust this product, Can have reports that shows how much we pay to each state and we can plan our cash flow based on the calculation in advance.

Cons

I don't have anything to say on this one, since we start using it we notice the value in it.
MAybe the can be integrated with a accounting software and will be a lot better.

Invaluable Tool for Amazon Sellers

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

I love TaxJar. It is an invaluable tool that saves many hours and makes it possible to confidently files sales tax reports.

Pros

Dealing with sales tax is probably the biggest annoyance of selling on Amazon (or other marketplaces). Amazon's reporting is not really sufficient, but thankfully, TaxJar fills in the blanks. Their autofile service is also extremely useful and saves a lot of time and headaches.

Cons

If you autofile in a lot of states, the cost can add up quickly. It may not be an issue for bigger sellers, but small sellers may find it difficult to justify the price.

Patrick L.

TaxJar Makes doing business online very easy with Shopify

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

It's simple to install and does work for me that would take a lot of time to complete.

Pros

Taxjar installed in shopify very quickly. After setting up the account on their website and configuring it is ready to go. It will collect all the tax information by state and calculate the deductions and any nexus required. The reports are easy to use and have made this task very simple. The alternative would be very manual and time consuming.

Cons

It's great, I have no complaints. I am not a chartered accountant so I can't see any detailed extras it doesn't do.

Robert D.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Taxjar saves us so much time!

Reviewed on 2019/12/08

We love using TaxJar and we would highly recommend it.

Pros

I love how much time we save each month with TaxJar. Filing sales tax in North Carolina is a bear of a chore. TaxJar shaves off ~2 hours each month for us.

Cons

Unfortunately, TaxJar has a hard time calculating the 2% food tax special rate in North Carolina. Not a deal breaker.

Heather O.

TaxJar addresses a major pain point in my business and does it well.

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

For the amount of data that is available, the layout doesn't feel overwhelming. There are helpful tip icons for certain items that make the software easier to learn.

Cons

I think the cost for autofiling is a bit high, especially in the states which I file monthly. Perhaps a tiered pricing model?

Carlton H.
  • Industry: Research

Great way to overpay your taxes

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

We did custom API work to get our order system integrated such that we could get all our data into it, only to find out that it was going to totally fall flat on its face. Signing up for TaxJar has been the most disappointing experience our business has had in at least the past 3 years.

Pros

What they made it seem like it was. They really sold it well. If only it lived up to that.

Cons

What it actually was. Not only did TaxJar almost always calculated higher rates than Shopify, but it is unable to handle certain types of very legitimate tax exemptions (like partial R&D exemptions), thereby leaving you with the choice of filing manually (in which case TaxJar is COMPLETELY USELESS), or overpaying.

Noam B.

Super easy to use - saves us a lot of time

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

Pros

Easy to setup
Automatic Tax fillings - less headache for me
Connects to our eCommerce platform
Great support

Cons

While we haven't got to the next pricing tier - this could get a bit pricey, depending on your monthly transactions

Maggie M.

Super Useful, But Overpriced

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

It streamlines tax collection and puts all the information in one place, which makes it really easy for me to collect sales tax accurately in my new, small business. It helps me stay in compliance, which I was previously struggling to keep up with.

Cons

It is without a doubt overpriced. All it does is put readily available information in one place. So it saves time, but it's not really providing anything grand and exclusive. If I had to do it once a year, I'd do it without TaxJar - but since I have to do it every 30 days, it helps to have the data in one place in spite of the cost.

Chelsea C.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Awesome solution for online businesses

Reviewed on 2019/11/11

Pros

This software was very easy to implement for our online sales and helps ensure we are collecting the appropriate taxes from customers and I no longer have to think about it.
They also provide the option to have your taxes prepared at the end of each month to submit to your state!

Cons

Honestly I do not have any, easy to implement, good price, helpful customer service

Brandon L.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Tax Jar helps my Amazon business track quarterly sales tax.

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Makes it very easy to stay on top of our state sales tax reports.

Pros

Easy to use. Works with every state. You are able to automate, so it doesn't take long to use. It's everything you could need.

Cons

I really don't have a negative thing to say about the software. No one likes paying taxes, and TaxJar makes the process painless

Erik P.

No problems!

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

Easy to use, self-explanatory, and concise. The cost is easy to swallow for comfort and peace of mind.

Steve S.

Great product for collecting and reporting sales tax for any ecommerce site.

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

Easy to setup. Easy to use. Straight forward pricing plans. The signup process is simple and fast. Ready connections to popular shopping carts, CMS and accounting systems. Automated tax filing available.

Cons

The automated filing is great but I think it will have to be based on volume and not flat fee. When there are no transactions to report to any nexus state it seems a little bit costly.

Darlene M.

Fast and Personalized Service!

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

The most important thing about this software and TaxJar as a company was the fast customer service. Everyone was always very helpful to me with my questions and software navigation. Im so happy I joined TaxJar as my state tax service

Pros

I am not a computer wiz but this software was easy to understand and navigate through.

Cons

I did not find any area of this software that was difficult to understand or navigate through.

Samuel H.

TaxJar is great. It really made sales taxes easier and manageable.

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

It's easy to get set up and easy to use. The auto file feature is awesome for the headache States. They also offer a lot of helpful info on their blog.

Cons

I wish it had better instructions on how to navigate the states websites. They are all a maze and every one is different, making it really challenging just to register to pay them sales tax.

Christian H.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Nice Software But Not A Good Fit For Me

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Pros

Seemed like a very useful piece of software for my Shopify Store, however I just didn't integrate very well with my particular website, so we had to uninstall it.

Cons

Our online store and tax type didn't work well with the software.

Tracy H.

Calculating taxes for several states and countless municipalities is daunting, TaxJar made it...

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Taxes can be complicated and we did have some questions along the way. TaxJar always got back to us.

Pros

It handled all aspects of our sales tax needs. We used it to manage real-time calculations so we collected the correct amounts. Then we used the TaxJar service that also files the taxes with each state. When we did have questions, they had answers. This allowed us to focus on the more important aspects of our business.

Sandy G.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

TaxJar helps compile sales tax info

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

Overall, my experience has been positive. This software serves a very useful purpose of collecting sales tax data from multiple places and compiling it in one place. I would definitley recommend it to anyone who is selling online in multiple states.

Pros

I love the fact that it pulls all the sales tax info from shopping carts and gives a dashboard of sales tax by State.

Cons

The detail reporting doesn't readily give all the info needed. For instance, if you are trying to fiugre out if you have nexus in a specific state by needed to know the number of transactions per year, it is really hard to find that info in here.

Super-simple API integration to add tax handling to a web application

Reviewed on 2017/12/13

Easy addition of tax handling to our web application.

Pros

TaxJar was very easy for us to implement, didn't require hoops and red tape to get setup, and has been foolproof for us so far. The error messages (when our input is incorrect, for example) have been clean and easy to correct. It's a great comfort knowing we don't have to worry about the tax implications of transactions -- we just submit the data to TaxJar and they tell us how much to charge. Awesome!

Cons

The API does not yet have a way to automate creation of new accounts (if you are building a framework using TaxJar for multiple clients this does add the additional step of having to require the client to create their own account).

Tomer D.
  • Industry: Animation
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

save me ton of time

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Pros

this is life saver, do the whole amazon/ebay orders sales tax process smooth!

Cons

not sure if they offer submission service and filing sales tax that would be great

Anne Z.

TaxJar is the ONLY way to collect state sales tax for eCommerce!

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

One of my lifeline go to products to run my eCommerce Internet sales business. It pulls in info from Amazon, eBay and PayPal to calculate which states I owe sales tax too. I was a life saver when I went compliant regarding my FBA sales tax. Thanks TaxJar!

Pros

TaxJar has an ease of use that once you are set up, you are good to go. They make registering for states you have nexus in a breeze. I started with my home state of CA and worked with it for over a year before becoming compliant with other states that I had nexus in for Amazon FBA. As an eCommerce seller I was able to easily link to my eBay and PayPal accounts. They pull in the info needed and on a monthly basis I can see which states I have to make payment to. I easily log into the states websites and submit everything online. Such a time saver I can't even tell you. They give you step by step instructions for everything having to so with EACH and every state in the USA. Simply the best! As a solopreneur, I am my own book-keeper and accountant. I have all the info in TaxJar to make my business run regarding sales tax.

Cons

While I haven't yet used autopay, where they would do my filing, I hesitate because my sales are not great. I wish the fee was based on how much or how little one sold. I would use in a New York minute if that were the case.