Rebekah P.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Had to make a video for a presentation and loved using powtoon

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

All in all it was a very positive experience and I hope to use the platform again

Pros

I had to create a interactive video for a presentation and someone on the design team suggested using powtoon. I am so glad I did it was a free trial but offered so many features and was so easy to use!

Cons

In general making videos is difficult and requires a lot of time. The site was easy to use but still took me a very long time to create what I needed to make

Randy Y.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great Features and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

Overall, I am satisfied with this tool. It has some minor issues, but none of those issues are deal breakers for me.

Pros

Easy to Start: It only takes me ~20 min to gain basic proficiency and ~60 min to gain advanced proficiency.
Time-Saving Templates: It has several templates ready to be used, which saves time.
Beautiful built-in assets: Animated avatars, objects, short videos, graphics, audios, etc. Basically anything you could possibly want in a multimedia product--PowToon has it already built-in.
Ease of Future Maintenance/Update: The way Powtoon's interface is designed allows for ease of future edits. You can easily swap in/out vectors/audio/texts if your video ever needs an update in the future.

Cons

Minor Glitch: Sometimes, objects (vectors, geometric shapes) would move to the wrong place by mouse drags. This is more of a minor nuisance than a real problem.
Lack of Audio Editing Feature: It has very little audio-editing capability. Because it has a built-in voice-over recording feature, this feature would be more useful if audio editing ability can be available.

• Used Other for Free Trial

Quick and dirty explainer in an afternoon

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Pros

My assistant was able to make some pretty cool videos very quickly, despite limited technical experience with video creation. The tool presents a variety of diverse characters with stock animations for different moods or actions (e.g., explaining, gesturing angrily, looking bored). The audio recording tool allows you to retry if you're unhappy with a take, and was reasonably painless to use. The animations were simple to string together but more visually interesting than what you can produce in PowerPoint.

We created a lesson plan for instructors to use where the learners responded using PowToon projects, and these were a hit. It gives them an alternative way to communicate their ideas and again, is quite easy to use.

Cons

We were not using the pro version of the tool, so we were limited in access to characters, scenes and icons. That said, the free version provided a very smooth experience. If you do not upgrade, there will be a PowToon logo and music appended to your video, and some animations will have limited customizability (e.g., a character animation may loop ad nauseum).

It is also easy for a junior designer to get caught up in the capabilities of the tool and lose focus on the quality and structure of the content. It's easy to add too much irrelevant on-screen animation and so detract from your message.

Linda B.

I've been using Powtoon since it was in BETA. I use for both my business and the classroom

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Powtoon gave me the ability to create engaging content for my students. I've used it to create lessons in both a brick and mortar classroom as well as for online curriculum. I also use it for content on my Youtube channel.

Pros

A variety of pre-built templates to use or edit. The business version has the most options for characters. It's very easy to do voiceover and export the final product.

Cons

The collaboration function doesn't work properly. This feature is still in BETA, but I'd like to use it like you can collaborate on a Google Slides. Sometimes updates don't save. I'd be sure to click SAVE every time you make a major change, or at least each slide you create.

Response from PowToon

Linda, thank you for the great review,
We are making strides towards upgrading the collaboration feature into something very similar to google docs. In fact we are working on a whole new way to work in teams, share brand assets and powtoons, and work together on the same Powtoon. Stay tuned

Reshma A.

FANTASTIC!

Reviewed on 2018/02/23

We are able to better communicate about our change process with our teams throughout the world, and that in turn has helped us move forward!

Pros

Everything! I love all the features and have used it extensively for work. Other parts of our global organization are starting to use it too. I started the trend - and now even our Headquarters in Atlanta are using it!

Cons

Would love more culturally appropriate characters - and also the hands that are featured in the 'whiteboard' piece - can we have options to make them not only Caucasian?

Response from PowToon

Thank you Reshma for your kind review.
We have put a lot of emphasis in the last couple of months on character diversity, and in fact in the next few weeks you will see a great improvement on that front with dozens of new characters added.

Dr. arnie D.
  • Industry: Animation

Lots of Pow in Powtoon

Reviewed on 2020/07/15

I had had nothing but positive experiences from Powtoon. The software is amazing, the support is amazing and so are the people - some of whom I've met in person.

Pros

I have been using this software for 5 years to produce high quality, professional looking animated explainer videos. There are a lot of different character styles and assets style like 2D, whiteboard, infographic, live to choose from. They provide the too and it's open to your imagination. New features added constantly that make this software very versatile.

Cons

Some features need to be added - better timeline, ability to encase videos, camera motion for example.

Mindy K.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

A fun way to get students engaged

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

I have had my students use PowToons to create a visual representation of text. I have also had them use it as a visual aid for a speech. In both situations, it was very entertaining. The students were engaged completing the assignment and their classmates were engaged when watching their peers present.

Pros

I love anything that will grab my students' attention. I especially love it when it's something I can have them use to capture the attention of their classmates. I really like that this is flashy and doesn't require coding or graphic design knowledge to make a fun and professional presentation.

Cons

It's hard to explain to students that they can't use everything they can see. I completely understand that a company would want people to see what they could have for a price, but it's frustrating for students to see all of these really cool features and not be able to touch them.

Cindy R.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

A Different Way to Present Information

Reviewed on 2019/12/06

Great Tool! It's a great alternative to a typical presentation-style project for students.

Pros

I like that I can present information to students in a different way than a slide-presentation. I also like that it's easy for students to use to create a presentation as well.

Cons

I wish more parts of it were free to anyone. I shouldn't complain, though, because it's truly worth the price.

Wendy N.

Creative, fun for kids

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Let's kids Imagination run wild, be creative.

Pros

I love letting my students use Powtoon for projects. The students can use their imagination and be creative when making presentations or Public Service Announcements. I just let them learn through play. Sometimes the student that struggles with PowerPoint becomes inspired with Powtoon. I'm always amazed at how quickly they learn to manipulate the animations and transitions without my assistance.

Cons

There is a learning curve with this, some students adapt quickly others may struggle. When using free version have students use only free materials otherwise they cannot publish it properly

Lydia D.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

I learnt this software in Marketing course. It's great tool.

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Created a lovely presentation, which can be uploaded to YouTube for everybody to see.

Pros

I like those ready to use automation figures, and time adjustment feature. It is easy to upload to YouTube as well.

Cons

I remember I spent some time to learn all the available features. I have to pay some nice ready-to-use figures.

• Industry: Government Relations
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Edit with Powtoon

Reviewed on 2018/12/09

Pros

Powtoon is a very great software if you want to create videos and presentations and its free. You can make videos using live action or you can make an animated video. It offers a lot of animated cartoons which is very helpful in showing your intention and objective in the video you are making. It is also easy to use.

Cons

What I like least about powtoon is that you cannot download the video output if you are only using free trial. Nonetheless, it is fine because you can access it through youtube.

Jayla A.
  • Industry: Animation

Website Is Amazing For Pitching!

Reviewed on 2020/03/25

No compliants at all, easy, quick, straight forward, all you do is click click click, choose image and text! You got your self a fine looking presentation to show your work, your teacher or even your business! A true life and time saver if you ask me!!!

Pros

I love how you just choose the time that you have its great for practing and getting to know what information to pitch! It helps you prepare big time! Great for if you have an animation Idea or only sort of creative idea! Who know you could be the next biggest inventor with this app! I can't express enough how helpful this app is! Its a dream come true! Also did I mention, ITS FREE to sign up?!?!?! What are you waiting for???

Cons

Could use more templates in the webside, app. The themes can often be limited depending on what you invitation your presentation to be!

Krupali M.

One such platform to create Animated Videos & GIFs

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Powtoon has a bit congested dashboard while creating videos but it's a great platform to create animated as well as professional videos.

Pros

I have used Powtoon several times in creating animated videos for educational purpose. It is a great platform with amazing templates and clip arts which are really cute and lets me make a pure educational video for kids. Also I can post the video directly on my YouTube Channel through Powtoon.

Cons

Yes, it's Paid version is better. You got to pay or use watermarked videos.

Chrisopher A.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Creative Alternative

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Pros

Powtoon is a creative alternative to the normal presentation mold. They can be somewhat comical with their cartoon nature, but there are ways to make them seem a lot more professional. You are able to add your own images into the creation of a PowToon, which is a huge plus in my book.

Cons

There are a lot of features associated with PowToon. Since there are so many features you may be looking around a bit to find what you are actually looking for. In the end though when you are an expert with PowToon you can create some pretty amazing presentations.

Valentina G.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great tool for creating videos!

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

Pros

It is an excellent tool for creating videos and presentations for non designers or experts on video production. It has lots of templates and icons to make very professional videos, and you can use your own images also.

Cons

The learning curve is a little big but there are a lot of tutorials online. I do not love the Powtoon watermark on all your videos.

Jojo A.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Powtoon is perfect for you... if you're willing to pay.

Reviewed on 2016/11/04

I used to be sooo excited about Powtoon. It was way cooler than the boring Powerpoints used by everyone. You could even publish your presentations as cartoon videos! However, there's always a catch. Using the free version, the only way to publish is to publish on Youtube... with a watermark... and low resolution.

Pros

It looks great! It's way less boring than your average Powerpoint slides!

Cons

The free version is not all that good.

Shawn M.

So fun and easy. My 10 year old loves creating videos

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

Cannot say enough good things about this software. Super fun to create videos, it is not the norm, hold clients' attention. They give great advice and techniques to help you make the best PowToon. Templates are awesome.

Pros

Love that when I have a question, I can email them and they respond very quickly. They go above and beyond. It is easy to teach yourself, but the tutorials are also great. My daughter has created a few of them herself, and she is 10 years old. You can customize to anything you need it to be. Love the option to do voice over or music. Incredibly user friendly. Cannot say enough awesome things about this program.

Cons

NOTHING

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Pros

Powtoon is the perfect tool if you want to make very cool presentation animations on your videos without having any editing skills.

Cons

Nothing to say, maybe more animations templates on the free version or make the animation tools more easy to use for rookies

Lory L.

My Slides Keep Disappearing!!!

Reviewed on 2019/01/16

Pros

I really, really wanted to be able to stay with this product. It's so easy to use, I just loved working with it. But, and this is a BIG but...

Cons

My slides keep just disappearing into thin air. I save constantly, but when I go back in, one or two slides are missing, I recreated them, and I go back in and a different one is missing. And this just wasn't a one time thing. It's happened many times, and I've contacted supported and they tell me things like "clear your browser cache". No way! This is a bug, and I have better uses for my time!!!

Jared E.

Great platform for DIY Presentations

Reviewed on 2016/12/13

I've used powtoon to make website videos, digital advertisements, story-lines, and other presentations. The platform makes it very easy to create animated videos with a large selection of objects and people, but also allows you to upload your own artwork, giving you a lot of flexibility to create a video around your style. I wish they had features to allow you to change the timing of transitions, but they constantly roll out upgrades to their service, so I'm optimistic they will improve the features as time goes on.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Powtoon Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Pros

What I liked most about this software was how easy it was to navigate around the site. It is colorful and stands out from their competitors. It was a different layout than most layout presentation sites which I liked. As a college student, I would use this again if I had a business proposal or class to make a presentation for.

Cons

There are limited free functions and layouts throughout the site and some of the features like inserting slides and text would always glitch.

Claire G.
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Great tool for making videos!

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

Loved it! Will come back again in the future.

Pros

Super easy to use, fast, lots of features and content

Cons

A little bit pricey. If you only need one or two videos then it's hard to justify the expense.

Madeleine S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Decent but not Exceptional

Reviewed on 2020/08/11

I used at my past association for marketing videos for roughly 1-year.

Pros

This offers many options for customizing at a relatively low price. There are many templates to choose and help someone with little video-making experience get started.

Cons

This is not user friendly, intuitive or easy to use. There are many options, but is timely to try and navigate the program.

Johan A.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Fun and Easy to make

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

Pros

This product is very easy to use and is very fun because it creates animated videos to teach people about certain subjects

Cons

I feel like some parts would be easier to do with a different interface, and sometimes the watermark is kind of annoying.

Kasandra F.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

super easy

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

Pros

I'm an art student and I've been spending a lot of time looking for software for visual media design. This product is super easy to use and a nice step up from powerpoints.

Cons

No major cons on this product. It would be cool if you could have the option to edit your work offline in the future.