Sapling Reviews

Sapling

Onboarding and HRIS platform for mid-sized companies

4.7/5 (208 reviews)
Kybrinna W.

Sapling competition

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

It has been good. It is a solid software and has a very knowledgeable staff. While there is always room for improvement, being progressive with review offerings will make the technology community buzz.

Pros

User interface is awesome:
With todays fast pace demand for more intuitive interfacing technoligies and data recovery, Sapling does a great job in addressing the everyday technical issues from recruiting to onboarding completion and document storage issues. While automization can result in cumbersom changes to workflows and clunky tasking, Saplings User interface is Simple, Clean and visually organized in it's step process.

Cons

Feed creation and implementation process:
There are some setup quirks in site formating, email notifications to New Hires, and communications configurations between softwares. As a Client I know that not all are technologically gifted in the architect of development and operational implementation. It would be beneficial if Sapling's implementation team had some one on one forcast requirements of the Client and the HRIS Software Support team. I was looped in after the 3rd implementation attempt had crashed. Reporting and file creators along with Software team's communications feed and Market place implementation staff been in on this - one on one confrencing, a robust "sandboxing," and a slower sectioned rollout occured. I think this would have gone A-LOT smoother.
Technical support:
A week? Seriously? No other offerings or work arounds? Especially for mutistate companies.
Verbage visibility:
Soft gray is very hard on the eyes. Backlit screens and overhead florescents make it difficult - even with a difuser. Wish you could use your purple or a medium blue color that would differentiate between titles etc. and information entered.

Terlya H.

- Clear responsibilities/ownership
- Org structure/ mapping capabilities
- Greater accountability
- easier planning/mapping

Pros

My favourite thing about Sapling is the ability to create customized onboarding journeys. Onboarding is so important to a company and Sapling enables you to create unforgettable experiences by automating the admin heavy side so that you can focus on creating a seamless/customised experiences.

Cons

It's reporting, storage and analytics capabilities have a long way to go. As we scale, I question wether we will outgrow it as a HRIS due to these things mentioned.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to write a such a detailed review. It's great to hear what you like best about Sapling and how Sapling has provided a way for you to create customized onboarding for new hires. At Sapling, no onboarding is the same and we love when teams like yours go above and beyond to make their onboarding experience special.

Reporting and analytics have been a big focus for the Sapling team in 2018 and we can't wait to share what we have been creating to help as your team grows!

Jonathan W.

Have amplified employee onboarding with Sapling

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/02/14

Pros

Having a platform for employees to learn about the culture and history of our organization, as well as get to know their colleagues ahead of starting, has greatly improved the onboarding process. We really enjoy the buddy feature, as it has taken our employee buddy program to a new level and increases engagement. Instead of having to use paper forms and checklists for onboarding, and sending back and forth emails, tasks are easily delegated to the appropriate people in my office and there's more transparency in the process.

Cons

Sapling has released a plethora of new features in the year that I've been on the platform, many from customer feedback. I'd like to see an Office 365 integration, as there currently is one with G Suite.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thanks for your kind words. The team here at Sapling is dedicated to helping new hires feel right at home and get to know their colleagues even before their first day. It's great to hear that UCSF has found success using the buddy feature. Buddy programs are a great way to kick-start the process of connecting with your new hire and making them feel welcomed.

Please keep the feedback coming and we're excited about the partnership we've created to help you do your best work!

Renee H.

A Modern application with a simple concept

Reviewed on 2018/09/24

Getting my hands on this new software has been a great experience I can access all the things I need and it keeps me updated on everything I need to know that is going on with not only my self but my team memeber I would highly recommend this software to anyone who wants a software that gets the job done all in one place

Pros

The innovative technology that allows you to not only have easy access to your profile and your team memebers, but other leaders and team members in different locations to all be able to communicate and help one another. Also it’s as if your at a one stop shop from easy accessible tabs to keep track of your daily tasks to making keeping track of all of your information safer and quicker than ever.

Cons

This software is awesome if your using it from a pc if your using a mobile device and could be a little frustrating to access certain things. Which could easily be solved by flipping your phone into the horizontally direction a lot of the tabs you wouldn’t previously have see will now appear making everything to slot smoother.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thanks so much for this insightful feedback. We truly appreciate your thorough feedback and use case scenarios. We are glad that Sapling is contributing to your success as a new hire.

We are sorry to hear about your mobile experience. But great news, we had a recent release to Sapling's mobile experience, which has optimized the overall mobile experience.

Jamie G.

Fantastic! The Sapling team is so helpful and responsive.

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

User friendly, easy to navigate for HR onboarding and offboarding. One of the rep is great about checking in to help and also updating our team on any changes or improvements that are coming up.

Cons

There are a couple of integrations that could be helpful if added such as Slack notifications. Would like for the org chart to be easier to use - sometimes has issues zooming in and out.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for this feedback Jamie!!! We agree that having additional integrations for the tools you already use would be ideal.

In our roadmap, we are working on a few other integrations, and one of them is with Slack. Please learn more here- https://help.saplingapp.io/hr-and-admins/setting-up-saplings-slack-integration.

Kristy W.

Sapling has taken our onboarding process to the next level both internally and externally.

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Pros

Long gone are the days of Google spreadsheets and assorted Google docs. Sapling has saved us so much time and hassle by having all of the tasks in one assigned spot. Additionally, we pride ourselves on our onboarding experience and all of our new hires have commented on how welcome they felt even before they started. Sapling delivers a personalized experiences meant to educate the new hire about the company and ensure that they're able to hit the ground running on day one. Additionally, the customer support is phenomenal.

Cons

Sapling is a startup and still developing their technology so naturally has the occasional bug. The customer support is always great to help resolve any problems and I have no doubt that these will go away as they continue to grow

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for feedback Kristy!

We agree, long gone are the days of Google spreadsheets.

Sapling's goal is to ensure that your processes are automated to provide a streamlined onboarding and employee experience. We hear you, we have a long way to go, but we are constantly working on improving our platform and adding new functionalities to ensure that you continue being successful.

Asif M.

Onboarding experience

Reviewed on 2019/06/10

Pros

Usability and look and feel is quite nice. App is responsive and clear.

Cons

Mostly around the People/Team members section.

* I would appreciate if i can click on the team member profile and open it in a separate tab.
* No clean way to come back to list of team members (except clicking on the browser back).
* Persist the filtering/page size: If i apply a filter or change pagesize, then click on a team member profile and come back to list, the previous filters/pagesize is lost and i have to reapply.

Also i noticed while filling personal details, in Gender dropdown there is no field for LGBT, it would be nice to have that option for people who identify differently.

Jenn L.

Quality Pre-Boarding for Future Employees

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Our experience with Sapling was amazing from selection to going live. Estefany was our point of contact through the implementation process and she was incredibly organized, thorough and helpful. It was really an amazing experience.

Pros

I love that the tool integrates seamlessly with Greenhouse and WorkforceNow, that it's easy to use, that it's visually appealing and customizable.

Cons

It works great, unfortunately I need to enter 40 characters in this box.

Emily B.

Very clear and concise interface.

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

Automated all HR information tracking which has saved a huge amount of time from an admin perspective. Extremely beneficial when onboarding a new team member.

Pros

Very clear and concise interface.
Varying levels of admin functions allow for complete control over editing company profile while also protecting conditional information.
Support during the sale, contract and implementation have been fantastic. All questions answers and plan put in place to make sure we launch when planned.

Cons

There is sometimes a delay when clicking in to edit tasks in workflows but it's not something that would stop me from using the software

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for sharing your insightful feedback with us. Sapling strives to be an automated all HR platform and it's great to hear that you see us this way. We hope that Sapling continues providing you and your organizing value by ensuring an automated, streamlined process.

In addition, our team highly enjoyed working with you throughout the sales, contract, and implementation stages and look forward to continue working with you to ensure Grow is successful.

Katrina G.

Saves so much time, but needs improvement

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Pros

I appreciate the fact that I didn't have to physically walk into the office to sign paperwork and fill out forms before my first day. I also like that the interface was extremely simple and easy to use, especially for a non-tech-y person like me.

Cons

I think the software can improve by adding a "save changes" button. I had to ask HR a question regarding a form that was listed under the "your information (?)" section, and when I returned to it the next day, all the info I had input the night before was gone – not a totally huge inconvenience, but still a nuisance.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Congrats on the new role Katrina and we appreciate your candid feedback.

We are happy to hear that you found the onboarding process streamlined and saw the befits of it. Team Sapling hopes to create a unique and engaging experience for new hires like yourself-even before they start.

We are sorry to hear that you experienced that nuisance, but we are always looking for feedback to improve our platform. So we thank you for sharing this with us.

So far it's good for the on-boarding process. Especially getting them started before they join.

Reviewed on 2018/06/25

Getting information out the candidate before they begin and being able to give tasks to employees for new hires.

Pros

I can pass on tasks to other employees in the company and getting information to the employee before they begin.

Cons

Still some bugs they need to get through. I'd like to be able to customize a little more, but overall a good program.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience with us. While we are happy to hear that Sapling has being a great asset for your onboarding flow, we also want to ensure that you are successful with your employee experience.

We'd love to learn more about what additional customization you hoped for.

Nancy K.

At InVision, we rely heavily on Sapling to help us stay on track while we scale.

Reviewed on 2018/02/19

Pros

I love how customizable this platform is. It has evolved very quickly and the support team is super responsive. Each feature release provides new and improved ways for InVision to enrich our new hire experience.

Cons

With so many releases being launched sometimes the platform slows down quite a but which can be a bit tough. Mainly because I relay on this platform so much so when it slows down, my workflow is interrupted.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for you feeback and time - we have taken action to changes as needed.

We've changed our release cycle so there should be no impact on application performance.

Natasha D.

Simple yet powerful

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/06/18

Pros

Sapling's end user interface is super intuitive and friendly to our end users. It's easy to understand and I love that everything is paperless! It has saved our HR team countless hours shuffling and filing paperwork.

Cons

It will be great for Sapling to continue to build out their API integrations with our HR software service providers in the future. So far the integration with ADP works fairly well.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Hi Natasha! We truly appreciate your insights.

We are happy to hear that Sapling has been intuitive and user friendly not only for yourself, but the broader team. But most importantly we are happy to hear that Sapling has been saving you time on manual work since that time can now be used to refocus from people admin to people strategy.

We are also always looking to improve our product and have released Sapling's API.

Mallory M.

Life Changing!

Reviewed on 2018/02/05

Pros

This has changed and made our onboarding process so much more efficient. No more google docs! Syncs with Greenhouse, Namely and more.

Cons

Can't wait for waterfall tasks, and more integrations.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! Other than helping companies like yours get off spreadsheets, we are also focused on creating efficiency through our integrations.

We're looking forward to bringing you and the rest of the team more value soon!

Sapling is a great HRIS

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

Sapling really seems like a great fit for a company at our stage of growth. It seems to have everything we need.

Pros

The interface feels modern and simple; it strives to look and behave like the best apps that you use every day. It makes simple tasks as simple as they should be, and complex tasks easier to accomplish.
I like how Sapling encourages profile creation for a more social experience. Most HRIS software is cold and treats you like a peon. Sapling takes a warmer approach and makes it feel like you're connecting better with your coworkers.

Cons

The interface needs some more polish and performance improvements. Sapling also faces the same issue that other employee experience apps have where some parts of the interface can feel empty depending on how many features are in your company's license, and to what extent your company is utilizing those features. The layout (information architecture) seems too flat - It doesn't tell me what's most important.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for your insightful feedback and time. This feedback has been shared with the broader team. We have taken action to changes as needed. We've changed our release cycles to ensure there is no impact on application performance.

Moving forward, we hope Sapling continues to provide you with a platform that allows you better connect with your organization.

Seanmichael R.

Simple, easy to use tool that allowed me to virtually meet my coworkers before day one.

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

quickly and easily signed onboarding documents before my start day so I could focus on building relationships when I arrived at my new job instead of paperwork. Provided an easy to tackle to-do list for my first week.

Pros

I loved being able to check out the profiles of my future coworkers and see the organization mapped out by team.

Cons

I wish I could have advanced past the "upload a photo" page to finish signing docs and inputting other text info and come back once I had a photo ready. I didn't have a photo on hand so I it paused my process and i had to walk away and come back to it days later.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Congrats again on the new role and thank you for your time!

We appreciate the honesty in your feedback. In regards to the profile photo, we completely understand how this could be a pain point. The good news is that this could be a field that is not required, but this is based on company settings. To ensure that others users do not experience this, we've informed our program leads about your feedback.

Rebecca G.

First impression

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Pros

Clean, easy to use and navigate. The prompts were clear. This is my first time using the software, I was using it to get onboarded and to learn about my new team.

Cons

The People area didn't give me the views I needed all the time. For instance, when I clicked into one person from a specific department that I filtered, I saw the rest of the team on the side in circular icon form, but I had to role over to see their names, and I had no way of seeing their position, organizational structure. I also (when I hit the back button after that) it brought me back to the whole company and I had to filter all over again. I wish I was also able to see the team structure visually on someone's profile, including my own. And, be able to just click (XYZ team) on the side by profile pics to bring me directly back to the team I filtered.

Brittany G.

Review of Sapling

Reviewed on 2018/10/06

Pros

I liked that i was able to use sapling not only on my computer but on my phone as well. It helps being in the field and still able to check in with each different team in different channels

Cons

One complaint I have, and i also just signed up for the service so i could be doing something wrong, but one complaint would be the notifications, once i click onto the messages that i received the notification from, the number don't always go away

Response from Sapling Technologies

Congrats on the new role and we truly appreciate your feedback. We are always looking to improve our product.

In regards to tasks, once you complete them, they should be marked as completed immediately. We looked into this and as soon as the assignee completes the task, Sapling removes it from either the pending or overdue states and moves it over to the complete state. If you encounter this again, please reach out to us at [email protected]

Ariell C.

My Experience with Sapling

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

I would say that Sapling has helped to bridge the gap within our company - a gap formed due to us being so far spread and unable to talk and get to know one another. To be able to read each other's bios, see each other's photos, and know each other's birthdays really helps bring us closer together!

Pros

I think it is an awesome idea! What a great, modern way to connect with coworkers and get to know each other better - especially considering the employees from my company are spread all over the country. I think the calendar with everyone's birthday is amazing! Of course, the time off and tasks are just added bonuses in my opinion!

Cons

My only critique is that I can't see how much PTO I have available. I can only see scheduled paid days off that are coming up. That may be due to my company though, I'm not sure.

Super easy to receive and complete tasks. I don't like how often I get signed out though.

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

I know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing any any given time during our work week. Particularly helpful when onboarding to a new company.

Pros

Everything is simply labeled and easy to find. Menus are minimal in length so I can find stuff, the colors are not garish, the work flows are intuitive.

Cons

I get logged out after some minuscule amount of time. Sometimes I get massive amounts of lag in between screens, which is frustrating and I over-click

Response from Sapling Technologies

We value your feedback and thank you for taking the time. We are glad to hear that Sapling has provided you with a source of truth to ensure you are successful with your day to day flow.

In regards to the logout issue, we had a release that allows for this setting to be updated on the company level. Previously, after being idle for a few minutes the system would log you out for security purposes. But this should no longer be an issue.

Yasmin M.

My on boarding process is a lot quicker and much more organized!

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

Pros

I love the many features that Sapling has to offer. My onboarding process has become so much faster and much more organized. I'd say my favorite part about this software would be how everything is generated automatically. I can schedule the welcome email to be sent out on an exact day and time and have team members sign documents all at once.
Also my Sapling representative has been super helpful and patient every step of the way, can't thank him and his team enough!

Response from Sapling Technologies

Hi Yasmin! We are thrilled to hear that Sapling has provided you with the tools necessary to automate your onboarding process. Our team focuses on ensuring that all the companies we have a partnership with are successful and it sounds like that is the case here. Thank you again for this feedback.

Jason H.

Sapling has been a great bridge between our ATS (Lever) and our payroll HRIS system (Namely).

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Pros

Set-up, integration and maintenance is very simple and intuitive. The support team is very responsive.

Cons

I wish they integrated with Gmail to route messages through your actual email inbox as some other software does (Lever, for instance). I also wish they utilized DocuSign rather than EchoSign for the eSignature feature. It's a bit more robust and easy to use.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for these insights Jason. We are happy to hear that this partnership has been successful in ensuring that all your programs speak to one another to combine all the moving pieces.

Currently, we use Sapling¿s e-signaturing iFrame through HelloSign. We had a release a few months back that allows you to customize and automate your documents by adding custom tokens. We'd love to hear what other functionalities you are looking for to explore them.

Super Easy On-Boarding Experience

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/11/15

My overall experience was positive! First day on boarding can be a lot of new information to work through but this was very approachable and seamless.

Pros

I liked how easy it was to navigate Sapling, I used it to start my on boarding at a new job. The interface and functionality was super easy to understand, I found it easy to go through each task and complete them.

Cons

This is minor, but when exploring to find my team I constantly had to click "see more team members" to load more people, maybe a scroll or some other type of way to load this info might be helpful? I found myself clicking this button 4-5+ times and eventually moved on.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to write a such a detailed review.

It's great to hear what you like best about Sapling and how Sapling has provided you with the tools necessary to ensure a that you are first day.

We truly appreciate you also proving us with suggestions based on your user experience. This type of feedback is essential to ensure we we can improve our platform.

Alice L.

easy to use, smooth clean interface

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Pros

It seems pretty flexible. My HR organized the info needed into logical sections. The documents I needed to review were obvious. Progress was obvious and visible. I like that on the dashboard, the # of tasks I still need to complete is prominent.

Cons

Wish I could save the work in an incomplete section, so that even if I didn't fill out required fields, I can come back later and continue where I left off.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I know this can be time consuming and frustrating and can see why this would add big value to the preboarding experience.

Our design team is working hard to make the necessary changes to ensure the process is as smooth as possible. Having information automatically saved, is one of their end goals.

Wendy Q.

The support is extremely helpful as they genuinely strive to provide quality experience and solution

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

Streamlined and reduced manual work through automation and integration.

Pros

The software streamlined our processes and reduced manual work through integrations and automation. The org chart also met our needs through the printable PDF feature for the leaders of the company.

Cons

When we started using Sapling, we ran into bugs and problematic nuances like any new technology; however, the software has transformed and grown significantly as Sapling always seek ways to improve.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that Sapling has been essential to ensuring that your processes are streamlined.

You are correct, in the last few months, we have made multiple changes to ensure that we are constantly improving our platform.

7.0/10