Square Payments Reviews

Square Payments

Online payment processing for merchants & vendors

4.7/5 (727 reviews)
Cornelia V.

The best in the town ( market )

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Very easy and have access to lots of account futures and perks. We have dedicated Android device that work perfect. Very happy with Square POS.

Pros

We are using this software probably 4 years now, without any any problem.
During the time we use different devices and works 100%, without any glitch.
Square support was helping us few times to make the tings right and we are very happy in their professionalism and security of all the system.

Ohh, yea on this days the security is very important in any business when you work with Credit Cards and money. They are on the top of the game.

We try few times other merchants to reduce the fees, but get back to Square for the great service and support.

Cons

Not real any, If the swap fees would be little lower than 2.75% probably will be great. But hay! prefer service and security first. Very important for our clients and us.

Adeoye A.

Easy on the go Processor

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/09/03

I really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.

Pros

I really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.

Cons

The only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software

Hank P.

Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Overall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.

Pros

Square is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients.

I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.

Cons

There are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine.

The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I believe that Square will do their part to make the updates in time.

The final thing, and this is something that may not impact many people, but I use my headphones a lot. I have to be sure to remember to unplug/disconnect them before opening the Square app. If not, it thinks my headphones are the card reader and hits me with a very loud, old school fax machine connection type sound. A painful experience!

Shannon H.

Grow your business quickly

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Square eliminated the need for costly card readers from a bank. The invoice feature allowed you to add clients and track when/if an invoice was paid. Overall, Square is an amazing product that is very versatile and a small business hero.

Pros

Square allows you to take secure payments anywhere. No start-up cost and low processing fees. They also offer a desktop ‘register’ that doesn’t require any software to be installed. Square gave us a professional way to take sales in the field because it eliminates the need for cash payments and gives your customers ease-of-mind when dealing with a start-up. It also provides analytics so that you can track the amount of money you have made and compare that to sales during another time-period. The invoice to email feature was also a time-saver.

Cons

The pre-determined processing term for funds to be released. You could utilize the paid-for early processing feature but, as a start-up, this was often out of reach. We used this service to take deposits to order client-specific materials so this additional processing time made it difficult to plan projects on occasion.

Jay W.

Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Super easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.

Pros

We have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.

Cons

For our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.

Definitely Reccomend

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Unlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.

Pros

Square is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).

Cons

Customer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp.
Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.

Lillian N.

Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient, solid!

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

I believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds to my local bank account. Customers are able to review my company after the purchase! Square has become an accepted payment processing solution with my customers who are very comfortable using it. If they've purchased from other retailers who use Square, their send receipt info is automatic. The moment you press the button to conclude the sale, those customers automatically get receipts. Square goes one step further for those of us who do wholesale as well as retail. I take Square on my phone with me into my wholesale stores. I am able to fill shelves as needed and invoice accordingly on my square payment processing app under the invoicing option. I can select terms and send the invoice to the store owner immediately as an email. No more having to worry about doing invoices after the fact. You can create invoices on the fly with Square Payments Processing! Are you a small businessperson looking for a great payment processing solution? Square made my sales a lot easier. No fumbling around to wait on the software in front of a customer. Easy, fast, reliable!

Pros

Square is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually enter an amount. Tax is configured on a separate screen prior to usage. When entering in an amount to charge, the square app calculates the tax automatically. I really like the square payment processing wireless chip reader that allows me to accept credit cards that are chip enabled. Customers sign for their purchase and then indicate if they want to have a receipt sent to their email or their phone, an eco-friendly solution and a way my business cuts down on costs. I don't have to purchase receipt books! At the end of market, I push a button and the funds I charged are in my bank account within seconds!

Cons

Nothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!

Debbie F.

I’m a Piano Teacher, Not an Accountant

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/09

I’ve been with Square for several years, since I started teaching piano as more of a full-time profession instead of a side hobby, and overall, I’m VERY happy with them! I’m not an accountant, nor do I want to spend lots of time on the admin/financial side of my business; Square has just enough customization options and report capabilities to keep this Creative happy. I know there are cheaper payment processors out there, but I really enjoy the ease of use that Square provides along with the brand recognizability.

Pros

Recurring billing and automatic reminders, all the way!! Saves me so much time & energy in sending out invoices each month to my 30+ piano families. I’m not sure why I used to dread sending out invoices each month, as it means I’ll get paid. But I very much dreaded it, and would drag my feet in sending invoices. With automatic recurring billing, I set it up once (very simple to do) and I don’t have to think about it again, until I get the email confirmation that all the invoices have gone out. Then I think about it again when I’m notified that the invoices have been paid (the best!;).

Cons

I SO wish I could set up and send invoices in bulk...just create a template, enter a list of email addresses, and hit send. It’s not at all difficult to create and send invoices, just a little time consuming on the front end when each one has to be set up individually.

Hannah D.

Square will likely become the universal POS app

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

I really love square! I would recommend this to any business owner who wants to track their sales better and make improvements based upon those results.

Pros

I LOVE square! I have been I user of this software for 3 or 4 years now at two different jobs and it has so many capabilities. I used this at a paddleboard shop and it did the trick but had way more capabilities than the business really needed. However, at the restaurant I worked at, this was everything we needed. It accepts all forms of payment (apple pay, google pay, android pay, tap-to-pay credit cards, all credit card brands if you choose, cash). The system for rining customers up takes a little while to get but after you do it is a breeze. This software is also very customizable. You can show products in a list, group them, add pictures to them, organize them how you want etc. By far the MOST thing in this system is the analytics/data piece. You can see how many of each product were sold in any particular time period, how that compares to other days/weeks, the best selling items...possibilities are endless.

Cons

I really don't have much to complain about with this. I've had problems with the chip reader connecting in many cases, and you also have to make sure to have very reliable wifi or else the product will not process payments.

Crystal R.

Accept Payments Online or In Person

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

I have been using Square since 2015. I like that I have a card reader I can plug into my phone or tablet using the phone jack. This enables me to take in person payments at craft shows that we occasionally do in the spring and summer months. In addition, I was able to set up Square to accept card payments on our website. In fact, I learned about the e-commerce platform that we utilize through a promotion from Square. I may not have learned about the platform without Square and that platform has exceeded our expectations. When I log into my account to view sales transactions on Square, I am greeted by a screen displaying a bunch of boxes. Each box contains different information I may need. Because of this, I can easily find and access the data I need. The interface is user friendly on both a desktop and mobile device. My only complaint with Square is that the inventory tracking feature seems to be faulty and has not properly integrated with my website. This results in multiple email alerts that my inventory is extremely low when in actuality it is not.

Pros

I am able to use this software to accept credit and debit card payments on our website. I am also able to use this software to accept payments in person at craft shows. When logging in to my account to view sales transactions, I am able to find what I am looking for quickly due to the level of user friendliness.

Cons

I was able to add the inventory information for the items we sell in our online store. However, every day I receive a message telling me that my inventory is a negative amount for each item. In spite, multiple times to correct this, the inventory levels still do not match what is actually available and listed on our website. I have tried deleting the inventory from Square to start over, however, the only option appears to be deleting each item individually. We have a couple thousand items, so this is not practical.

Dawn J.

I absolutely LOVE Square

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Overall Square gets the job done in a timely manner and is a great software for processing credit card payments.

Pros

Since we have technicians in 30 different city and states who perform road service on the side of the road we do not see our customers and our technicians do not deal with payments. Square has a machine where you can swipe customers credit cards, but for businesses in our predicament Square lets you go online and run a customers credit card by typing it in manually. We have the option to transfer it straight to our account right away or wait until it batches out at the end of the day. You will ned a zip code and CVC code for each transaction. You can send receipts to customers via email or straight to their cell phone as soon as you run their card. If you have a dispute with a company the process is pretty smooth. Allowing you to enter in information on your behalf of the work that was performed and adding pictures of credit card authorization forms, or pictures of the job being done as proof. It is pretty cool.

Cons

I do not have any cons on this software as of yet...

Mj N.

Must-have tool for my handmade business

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

I use the Square swiper to process sales at my local farmer's market AND for online sales via my online WooCommerce shop. I choose Square for the lower processing fees and because the point of sale app is so easy to use. The integration with WooCommerce generally works well with only a few glitches here and there. I definitely prefer my customers use Square versus PayPal. Much nice tracking and reporting with Square.

Pros

I use the Square swiper to process sales at my local farmer's market -- always works. Very reliable! I also have Square integrated into my shop website (WooCommerce) to process purchases. Fairly easy to set up. Also like that the processing fee has remained low.

Cons

The WooCommerce-Square integration can be somewhat finicky at times. Probably about a 95% uptime rate -- but once in a while a transaction will not go through. Usually a quick reconnect but can be frustrating. Not sure if the issue is with Square or WooCommerce, though -- they blame each other. ;)

Lindsey A.

Convenient & Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

Onsite payment. We have multiple employees using the system and I (the admin) can see the transactions immediately. It's been a great tool for us and has actually increased our revenue.

Pros

We use this to process payments from customers at their homes when we do home repairs, lawn care and maintenance. The best part of this system is that it allows us to upsell and offer a convenient solution for payments when homeowners dont have cash or dont want to write a check. It's easy to keeps track of sales and they are intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

No major problems is over 2 years of use.

Still the easiest, most transparent Merchant Services platform out there for invoice-driven business

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

We got started using Square Inc. back in 2010 after we heard advertisement offers for free card readers. As a new business, it was important to us to appear legitimate, and to never give clients an excuse to not be able to pay us. In the time since, we've secured over $100,000 in capital from Square, processes nearly a million dollars in payments, and deployed Lord-knows how many invoices. I really can't fathom switching. Square rocks!

Pros

Where to begin? Competitive rates; workflows that are easy to understand and train on; over time, receiving capital offers which, if accepted, enable business growth; pretty good reporting system and very easy to templatize and automate the invoicing process.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about Square per say. I will suggest that for recurring invoices I'd really like to see a way to filter by invoices that deploy at specific time increments e.g. monthly, weekly, quarterly, annually. For our business especially, certain service lines are invoiced for annually, while others are monthly and semi-monthly, so it'd be easier come A/R time if we could only view what's applicable.

Susan B.

Payment Processing for the Next Generation

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Love it.

Pros

After years of struggling with the frustration of dated 2008 virtual payment processing services, I finally made the switch to Square two years ago. I haven't looked back since. I don't have a brick and mortar store, nor do I have an online store, but for working with my clients I use Square for invoicing. My clients absolutely love it! So much so, that many of them have left the older payment granddaddy for the new kid on the block.

Set-up your business information and you're all set. It has the usual deposit features (daily, instant, etc), and you can allow the system to automatically send reminders to your clients for overdue/unpaid invoices. Daily summary reports are available and sent to you via email as well. Integrate this with the Square Appointments system and you have an administrative system on the fly.

Cons

It's not quite as advanced as the granddaddy system, but they are quickly catching up - for example, Square recently added the ability to request a deposit on an invoice (a great feature for long term projects, design work, etc). And other new features seem to be rolling out regularly.

Jessica T.

Easy+Quick Payment Processor

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/03/21

The all in one solution for small businesses, it has everything you need to start and manage any type of payments in/out of your business.

Pros

The one thing I love most is Square's interface. They have big, beautiful buttons to click on that make the entire process seem effortless for you and your customer making the transaction. Another thing I love about Square is how fast your payments are processed, you'll wait a max of 2 days, and most of the time deposits are available within one day. When you first sign up with the app, they have a simple and quick checklist to help get you set up, this was great because it was an easy process that leads you to success. The app itself offers so many reports, and ways to track customers, appointments, employees, transactions, invoices, and so much more like loyalty, and marketing. There are so many things you can do with this simple but action packed Square payment processor. The best thing about Square is the ability to have a virtual terminal, meaning you can swipe cards from any computer and the ability to manually take payments. I also love the mini walk-through tutorial you can experience when first using the app, that way you're prepared to take your first payment. You can also scan barcodes with Square, which makes the checkout process very easy.

Cons

Square is perfect for small and medium businesses, but eventually if your business gets larger it will outgrow Square.

Peter G.

The Best Mobile Credit Card Machine

Reviewed on 2019/03/16

I have been able to not have to resort to someone sitting in front of a credit card processing machine in order to feed card numbers in and I am able to do this right on site which reduces my payroll significantly.

Pros

Who wouldn't like the ease of mobile payment processing on the go? Square payments processing allows me to take control of payments out in the field from customers which allows more privacy for the customer to be able to process a payment onsite as opposed to asking for credit card numbers over the phone which puts the customer at great risk of identity theft. I also enjoy taking advantage of the fixed processing fees that square offers. They do not try and take a higher percentage for larger amounts rather charge a fixed 2.75% for swiped transactions which most of my business is. I would be lost without Square and that freedom that it offers my business.

Cons

The only thing I do not like about this software is that it does charge .15 for each keyed in transaction. Sometimes when a customer's card is worn and the only option is to manually enter a transaction.

Lucy L.

Love this product

Reviewed on 2019/10/03

We have multiple users in our practice, each with their own account, so funds are easily kept separate. I cannot remember the last time i had to contact tech support but I have never had a problem with their customer service. All the information you need is on the mobile app and the dashboard online. I have used this product since 2010 and would never use another credit card system.

Pros

This software is very straight-forward and easy to use. There are no hidden costs or surprises in billing. Funds are direct-deposited within 24 hours of sales. All transactions are easy and seamless including refunds and invoicing. All types of credit, debit and HSA cards are accepted for the same fees.

Cons

Because it's so easy to use, most clients now pay with credit cards so the fees add up. There are no other problems that i am aware of.

Chris G.

Awesome for small bussiness

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

I use this often with customers who want to pay by credit card. I can send invoices by email and they can pay online too. I get my money quickly form Square and have never had an issue since I have been using them. I signed up almost as soon as they opened their doors.

Pros

I love that I can take any type of credit card without the need for monthly fees or contracts.

Cons

I don't like the fees but they are unavoidable. The fees Square charges are fair.

Donna B.

Square makes life easier....

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

Square is becoming my all in one stop for my business, I'll be adding the web store soon too.

Pros

I love using Square. I use the chip readers for sales on the go, never any issues. I like the features of reports, item library, customer tracking, makes my reporting a breeze!

Cons

I honestly have no complaints, or have had any issues.

Scott F.

My Favorite Processing Platform

Reviewed on 2019/04/28

Square has an entire suite of merchant processing utilities that have taken a lot of hassle out of my everyday routine, and I am quite happy for it. Especially given that this all comes with NO monthly fee - only per transaction charges.

Pros

The new instant deposit feature is really, really nice for personal and small business users who need rapid access to their funds. Their overall system is easy to use, navigate and setup from the start and they continue to roll out new features that make doing business easier and easier. I love have everything I need to process payments, even invoicing and POS, right in one location.

Cons

Charging an extra percentage point for using an instant deposit feature is a bit crappy, but hey, that is business I suppose. I would also like to see it a bit easier to use their API system to hook into other eCommerce platforms as their existing API is a bit tricky to say the least.

Jamie J.

Thankful for Square

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

I am able to process payments without monthly fees, my funds are delivered next day, and the chargeback protection is amazing. I have not found a credit card processing company willing to help business in the chargeback situations. The banks side with their customers every time and there is a lot of fraud because of it. Square offers protection if you provide valid evidence, I haven't found another processing company that does that. I also like that they take their processing percentage right away, rather than at the end of the month. This way I do not have to worry about payments due. I use invoices a lot, and I like that they are offering lines of credit now in case I need to make big purchases. The payments are made back by my transactions, that was nice to be able to purchase supplies without using high percentage interest rated cc's

Cons

I hate that apple phones no longer have a headjack so now for my square reader I have to have an extension, which is quite awkward.

Anissa C.

Square is so convenient and user friendly.

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

I find it very easy to use and set up. The app is very good for reporting as well.

Pros

I have been using Square for at least 2 years now. One of my favorite features is the Square Card and the ability to have instant access to my money.

Cons

I do not like that it doesn't accept Netspend as a bank account. I have to set up my debit card for instant transfers instead which adds an additional fee.

Nice Options for Having Pre-Set Service Costs, but Higher Cost for Stored Cards

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/10/05

I now only use Square for occasional one-off payments if I do not wish to store a client's card on file, because the rates are competitive for this type of payment. I am now able to securely store my clients' cards on file with a different software, and can process payments easily at the end of my day all at once, all for the same rate that Square charges for a swiped card (plus, text messages to clients do not include my practice name). Unfortunately, Square is no longer my go-to payment software for my therapy practice.

Pros

I appreciated how fast and easy it was to set up a Square account, have a card reader shipped to me, and start accepting CC payments (which I could before I even received the card reader, for the additional cost of charging a manually-entered card number). I also liked that it is easy, once various service options are set up in the app, to simply click a button to charge pre-set payment options.

Cons

I am a psychotherapist, and I eventually ended up switching to another credit card processor for several reasons: I didn't like swiping a card at the end of every client session, or paying higher rates to store my clients' cards on file. The receipt emails/texts that Square sent to clients were also less confidential, as they included my business name in the message.

6.0/10
Skyler G.

Quick, easy and convenient.

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Square payments processing has been a fantastic addition to my office. I use it daily and have to problems. It is easy to get receipts to customers and quick to take their payments. Their fees are fair and their software is rich with customization options.

Pros

Square offers a great service for business owners that accept credit/debit cards as payment. I really like that square works with a variety of tablets and phones. Square has a lot of options for you to customize your products and makes it easy and quick to charge and take payments. I appreciate how they have made their software simple but with many options to make it work with your business.

Cons

At the time of this review, I do not have any complaints with Square. I have rarely run into any trouble and if I do, it's usually the hardware on my end.