Square Payments Reviews

Square Payments

Online payment processing for merchants & vendors

4.7/5 (434 reviews)
Lillian N.

Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient, solid!

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

I believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds to my local bank account. Customers are able to review my company after the purchase! Square has become an accepted payment processing solution with my customers who are very comfortable using it. If they've purchased from other retailers who use Square, their send receipt info is automatic. The moment you press the button to conclude the sale, those customers automatically get receipts. Square goes one step further for those of us who do wholesale as well as retail. I take Square on my phone with me into my wholesale stores. I am able to fill shelves as needed and invoice accordingly on my square payment processing app under the invoicing option. I can select terms and send the invoice to the store owner immediately as an email. No more having to worry about doing invoices after the fact. You can create invoices on the fly with Square Payments Processing! Are you a small businessperson looking for a great payment processing solution? Square made my sales a lot easier. No fumbling around to wait on the software in front of a customer. Easy, fast, reliable!

Pros

Square is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually enter an amount. Tax is configured on a separate screen prior to usage. When entering in an amount to charge, the square app calculates the tax automatically. I really like the square payment processing wireless chip reader that allows me to accept credit cards that are chip enabled. Customers sign for their purchase and then indicate if they want to have a receipt sent to their email or their phone, an eco-friendly solution and a way my business cuts down on costs. I don't have to purchase receipt books! At the end of market, I push a button and the funds I charged are in my bank account within seconds!

Cons

Nothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!

Crystal R.

Accept Payments Online or In Person

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

I have been using Square since 2015. I like that I have a card reader I can plug into my phone or tablet using the phone jack. This enables me to take in person payments at craft shows that we occasionally do in the spring and summer months. In addition, I was able to set up Square to accept card payments on our website. In fact, I learned about the e-commerce platform that we utilize through a promotion from Square. I may not have learned about the platform without Square and that platform has exceeded our expectations. When I log into my account to view sales transactions on Square, I am greeted by a screen displaying a bunch of boxes. Each box contains different information I may need. Because of this, I can easily find and access the data I need. The interface is user friendly on both a desktop and mobile device. My only complaint with Square is that the inventory tracking feature seems to be faulty and has not properly integrated with my website. This results in multiple email alerts that my inventory is extremely low when in actuality it is not.

Pros

I am able to use this software to accept credit and debit card payments on our website. I am also able to use this software to accept payments in person at craft shows. When logging in to my account to view sales transactions, I am able to find what I am looking for quickly due to the level of user friendliness.

Cons

I was able to add the inventory information for the items we sell in our online store. However, every day I receive a message telling me that my inventory is a negative amount for each item. In spite, multiple times to correct this, the inventory levels still do not match what is actually available and listed on our website. I have tried deleting the inventory from Square to start over, however, the only option appears to be deleting each item individually. We have a couple thousand items, so this is not practical.

Dawn J.

I absolutely LOVE Square

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Overall Square gets the job done in a timely manner and is a great software for processing credit card payments.

Pros

Since we have technicians in 30 different city and states who perform road service on the side of the road we do not see our customers and our technicians do not deal with payments. Square has a machine where you can swipe customers credit cards, but for businesses in our predicament Square lets you go online and run a customers credit card by typing it in manually. We have the option to transfer it straight to our account right away or wait until it batches out at the end of the day. You will ned a zip code and CVC code for each transaction. You can send receipts to customers via email or straight to their cell phone as soon as you run their card. If you have a dispute with a company the process is pretty smooth. Allowing you to enter in information on your behalf of the work that was performed and adding pictures of credit card authorization forms, or pictures of the job being done as proof. It is pretty cool.

Cons

I do not have any cons on this software as of yet...

Susan B.

Payment Processing for the Next Generation

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Love it.

Pros

After years of struggling with the frustration of dated 2008 virtual payment processing services, I finally made the switch to Square two years ago. I haven't looked back since. I don't have a brick and mortar store, nor do I have an online store, but for working with my clients I use Square for invoicing. My clients absolutely love it! So much so, that many of them have left the older payment granddaddy for the new kid on the block.

Set-up your business information and you're all set. It has the usual deposit features (daily, instant, etc), and you can allow the system to automatically send reminders to your clients for overdue/unpaid invoices. Daily summary reports are available and sent to you via email as well. Integrate this with the Square Appointments system and you have an administrative system on the fly.

Cons

It's not quite as advanced as the granddaddy system, but they are quickly catching up - for example, Square recently added the ability to request a deposit on an invoice (a great feature for long term projects, design work, etc). And other new features seem to be rolling out regularly.

Jessica T.

Easy+Quick Payment Processor

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/03/21

The all in one solution for small businesses, it has everything you need to start and manage any type of payments in/out of your business.

Pros

The one thing I love most is Square's interface. They have big, beautiful buttons to click on that make the entire process seem effortless for you and your customer making the transaction. Another thing I love about Square is how fast your payments are processed, you'll wait a max of 2 days, and most of the time deposits are available within one day. When you first sign up with the app, they have a simple and quick checklist to help get you set up, this was great because it was an easy process that leads you to success. The app itself offers so many reports, and ways to track customers, appointments, employees, transactions, invoices, and so much more like loyalty, and marketing. There are so many things you can do with this simple but action packed Square payment processor. The best thing about Square is the ability to have a virtual terminal, meaning you can swipe cards from any computer and the ability to manually take payments. I also love the mini walk-through tutorial you can experience when first using the app, that way you're prepared to take your first payment. You can also scan barcodes with Square, which makes the checkout process very easy.

Cons

Square is perfect for small and medium businesses, but eventually if your business gets larger it will outgrow Square.

Peter G.

The Best Mobile Credit Card Machine

Reviewed on 2019/03/16

I have been able to not have to resort to someone sitting in front of a credit card processing machine in order to feed card numbers in and I am able to do this right on site which reduces my payroll significantly.

Pros

Who wouldn't like the ease of mobile payment processing on the go? Square payments processing allows me to take control of payments out in the field from customers which allows more privacy for the customer to be able to process a payment onsite as opposed to asking for credit card numbers over the phone which puts the customer at great risk of identity theft. I also enjoy taking advantage of the fixed processing fees that square offers. They do not try and take a higher percentage for larger amounts rather charge a fixed 2.75% for swiped transactions which most of my business is. I would be lost without Square and that freedom that it offers my business.

Cons

The only thing I do not like about this software is that it does charge .15 for each keyed in transaction. Sometimes when a customer's card is worn and the only option is to manually enter a transaction.

Scott F.

My Favorite Processing Platform

Reviewed on 2019/04/28

Square has an entire suite of merchant processing utilities that have taken a lot of hassle out of my everyday routine, and I am quite happy for it. Especially given that this all comes with NO monthly fee - only per transaction charges.

Pros

The new instant deposit feature is really, really nice for personal and small business users who need rapid access to their funds. Their overall system is easy to use, navigate and setup from the start and they continue to roll out new features that make doing business easier and easier. I love have everything I need to process payments, even invoicing and POS, right in one location.

Cons

Charging an extra percentage point for using an instant deposit feature is a bit crappy, but hey, that is business I suppose. I would also like to see it a bit easier to use their API system to hook into other eCommerce platforms as their existing API is a bit tricky to say the least.

Jamie J.

Thankful for Square

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

I am able to process payments without monthly fees, my funds are delivered next day, and the chargeback protection is amazing. I have not found a credit card processing company willing to help business in the chargeback situations. The banks side with their customers every time and there is a lot of fraud because of it. Square offers protection if you provide valid evidence, I haven't found another processing company that does that. I also like that they take their processing percentage right away, rather than at the end of the month. This way I do not have to worry about payments due. I use invoices a lot, and I like that they are offering lines of credit now in case I need to make big purchases. The payments are made back by my transactions, that was nice to be able to purchase supplies without using high percentage interest rated cc's

Cons

I hate that apple phones no longer have a headjack so now for my square reader I have to have an extension, which is quite awkward.

Nice Options for Having Pre-Set Service Costs, but Higher Cost for Stored Cards

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/10/05

I now only use Square for occasional one-off payments if I do not wish to store a client's card on file, because the rates are competitive for this type of payment. I am now able to securely store my clients' cards on file with a different software, and can process payments easily at the end of my day all at once, all for the same rate that Square charges for a swiped card (plus, text messages to clients do not include my practice name). Unfortunately, Square is no longer my go-to payment software for my therapy practice.

Pros

I appreciated how fast and easy it was to set up a Square account, have a card reader shipped to me, and start accepting CC payments (which I could before I even received the card reader, for the additional cost of charging a manually-entered card number). I also liked that it is easy, once various service options are set up in the app, to simply click a button to charge pre-set payment options.

Cons

I am a psychotherapist, and I eventually ended up switching to another credit card processor for several reasons: I didn't like swiping a card at the end of every client session, or paying higher rates to store my clients' cards on file. The receipt emails/texts that Square sent to clients were also less confidential, as they included my business name in the message.

6.0/10
Skyler G.

Quick, easy and convenient.

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Square payments processing has been a fantastic addition to my office. I use it daily and have to problems. It is easy to get receipts to customers and quick to take their payments. Their fees are fair and their software is rich with customization options.

Pros

Square offers a great service for business owners that accept credit/debit cards as payment. I really like that square works with a variety of tablets and phones. Square has a lot of options for you to customize your products and makes it easy and quick to charge and take payments. I appreciate how they have made their software simple but with many options to make it work with your business.

Cons

At the time of this review, I do not have any complaints with Square. I have rarely run into any trouble and if I do, it's usually the hardware on my end.

Grace C.

Great for bands, large events, small businesses

Reviewed on 2018/12/30

Excellent concept, service, and idea. It is great for small spaces and travel.

Pros

We use square quite frequently. I often help musicians with their shows and bookings, and this is what we use for merchandise sales, and the system is simpler to set up than large POS machines. I also use this in my own business for people to pay via credit cards, and we have even used it at our personal yard sales in order to allow debit and credit transactions for large purchases. Favorite features: no extra fees, everything is straightforward, and it accepts Apple Pay.

Cons

Occasionally, the smartphone plug in will become disconnected and have trouble connecting, but it's relatively easy to fix, and they have helped send us a new one if it's broken. Customer service is excellent.

Sean D.

Great for my small business

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

This was a great tool for my small business while we were selling tea products at local farmers markets. I would often also use this tool to charge our retail clients and larger coffee shop accounts. The flexibility this program offers its users was the real draw for my business.

Pros

Low startup cost
Great for monitoring cash flow for tax time
If you have good service card are run in a very timely manner
The option to switch over to a flat fee once you hit a certain cash flow volume
Good for accepting payments at any time

Cons

In the past when there was no service available it was not possible to process payments leading to a lot of customers becoming upset that I was unable to ring them out immediately.
If the percentage per transaction could be lowered more customers would use this software for a longer period of time.

Jeffrey D.

Outstanding Payment Portal

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Pros

Rather than getting gouged each month by some of the bigger payment gateway services, Square allows you to send invoices, including scheduled/recurring invoices; set up reminders for invoices; swipe cards through its free magnetic strip reader; set up payroll, and a whole lot more. I consider Square to be a much more flexible payment provider than PayPal and there support is fabulous... A couple of years ago, I mentioned the option of adding invoice reminders and received what I initially thought was just a quick, kind response from a woman indicating that she would be forwarding my recommendation to the development team. A couple of months later, however, I was stunned to receive a follow-up email from the woman inviting me to review the beta version of the invoice reminder system that was kicked off after receiving my recommendation. My feedback was also ultimately implemented within the final invoice reminder rollout. Now THAT'S customer service.

Cons

In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing at all NOT to like about Square.

Amanda S.

I wouldn't have my small business without Square Payments Processing!

Reviewed on 2018/05/21

Pros

I love the ease and reliability of using Square, I didn't experience any sort of learning curve when I began using it for my photography studio. I appreciate that the customer isn't burdened with the processing fee, and I (and my customers!) trust the security of the credit card processing. The staple features for me are the invoicing system and the sales reports. I think the processing fee is perfectly reasonable for the ease of use, multiple features, and peace of mind I get from using Square.

Cons

I would really love more flexibility in selecting specific dates for scheduling future invoices. I sometimes have to go in and schedule separate invoices for the same client because I can't schedule on, say, the 20th of the month with payment due on the 30th. I also wish cancelled invoices would stay listed on the main invoice screen, but that's a very minor detail.

Adelyn C.

Very convenient - not quite sure how it works

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

After I go to a store that uses Square, I get an email receipt, which in my opinion is way better than getting a paper receipt that I'll probably toss anyways. It keeps us from wasting paper. Also, the system moves quite quickly and is extremely self-explanatory. I also remember a while ago there were Square card readers that could be plugged into phones through the headphone jack (back when headphone jacks were a thing) which I thought was extremely interesting.

Cons

There's not much there is to dislike about Square - I'm not sure how well it works with Apple or Android Pay (or any other kind of virtual wallet), so it might not be as optimal for people to that end.

Nonprofit Events

Reviewed on 2018/11/06

One of a kind. This is a solid system with many reporting and set up options. If you sell things then this is the number 1 system for you!

Pros

There is a big reason why square is so popular! It is a one of a kind payment processing system. It is safe, secure, and easy to use. We use our for a thrift store and nonprofit events. We have two accounts which makes distinguishing funds easy and they are both set up to different bank accounts. You can list items for sale so you know the cost and don't have to type it in. Square even gives you your first card ready for free when you sign up. This is one of those tools that is always handy to have in your bag as the director of a nonprofit.

Cons

After some time card readers to loose their ability to read cards or sometimes cards can be old and difficult to read. If a few failed swipe attempts don't work there is not need to worry. Just go in and type the card number. This option makes everything less stressful.

Brian N.

The Easiest Way to Accept Payment

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

This is the best possible way to get setup with accepting credit card payments. Once you create your account, which only takes a few minutes, they'll send you a free card reader. But you can also accept payments by manually entering the card numbers. It works equally well on a desktop computer (via website) or using the mobile app.

One of the best features is that if you have $25 or more to deposit you can instantly deposit the money. I usually get it in my bank account within seconds of depositing.

Plus, now they have new features like invoicing, capital loans, and POS solutions.

Pros

Simple setup.
Easy to use.
Free card reader.
Instant deposit.

Cons

The processing fee isn't the cheapest, but it's not unreasonable.

Jaran N.

Great Payment Processor

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

I use Square as a payment processor for my small business. It has helped to streamline the taking of payments. The tools they provide with chip machines or swipers has also made being mobile much easier and lighter.

Pros

Square makes it so easy to take payments as a small business. The website and app are easy to navigate and easy to add items or services for purchase.

Cons

When I need an answer to a question, the first solution provided by Square is to go through a series of FAQs or read articles about the the issue. Sometimes I just need to send an email or make a phone call so that I can get back to work.

Renee C.

Economical and Flexible Payment Processing

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

Pros

Fees/percentages are lower than most other payment processors. Equipment is minimal and inexpensive. No need to buy expensive processing equipment. Equipment is mobile, and works right with your smart phone or tablet, and with multiple devices. Payment is in my account the next day. Website has a variety of helpful reports to help you manage your income, and a store front feature with items and you can paste the link right on your website.

Cons

Nothing really. I like this software, and I've been using it for about 3 years.

Neal I.

Simple to use and Transparent pricing .

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Pros

Flat 2.75% pricing on credit card processing. Our biggest pain point with other merchant processors was an extremely opaque process. At the end of the month, we would get a statement that was a dozen pages long and impossible to decipher. No matter what, we always ended up paying more than 2.75%. So, we save a lot of money and headache with square

Cons

The register system that accompanies square is not the most robust. It's great for basic restaurant/cafe use. Software can be a little slow at times. but overall, simple to use.

Rebekah M.

Square payments processing

Reviewed on 2018/12/24

If you need to access your money faster you have that option. And sometimes you need to rush situations. But overall wonderful sustem. And will continue to use.

Pros

I love how simple it tis software is to use. You can easily have this set up and ready to except. For the security square offers is priceless. They don't play , Out if years working with this system. They have done nothing but improve this entire process.

Cons

Only thing I can say is I purchased a card chip reader and never received it. However I know they will.correct the issue

Gary B.

Reliable payment processing with many options

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Excellent payment processing system that also offers invoicing and various reports. Highly useful for a mobile or internet-based business.

Pros

This is a reliable, flexible and constantly evolving payment processing platform. It was really one of the first to offer a simple priced credit card processing for mobile and internet-based business, and well remains a leader in the field.

Cons

The charges for manually entering credit cards are higher than those for physical card reading; at this day and age, there should be no difference.

Grant G.

Great POS, definitely take a look

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Pros

Square did an amazing job in creating a POS system that is easy to use internally as well as for customers. Their UX is simple and clean. They allow you to customize the views that clients can see and do a good job on allowing data out of their system to be consumed by the executive team.

Cons

The only problem I have is not about how much data they release to me, but how it is formatted. It is messy and difficult to sort through. I need a third party software to visualize the data for me.

7.0/10
George G.

It's been much-copied, but Square holds up well.

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

A great solution for a small company, a trade-show seller, or anybody with difficulty getting a merchant account.

Pros

I was an early adopter and my use case was a little different. I was selling expensive software from a foreign country and we didn't have a Merchant Account because the owner lived abroad and I didn't want to underwrite the operation. Bingo! Square to the rescue! With their model of holding a portion of the revenue until the transaction cleared it eases their risk and makes my life a LOT easier. Instead of 30-60 days' delay for PO's, etc. I could sell immediately and have about 80% of the cash next day... and the rest far sooner than the PO route anyway. Game changer for people in my situation.

Cons

A little limited in problem solving. Whenever a transaction was rejected it was difficult to find out why or troubleshoot things.

Accept Payment Safely

Reviewed on 2018/10/31

Pros

My wife and I have been using Square for quite a while now to process credit and debit card payments for our online crafts shop, and so far it's been a fairly smooth experience. Payments always go through Square's fraud detection department to make sure everything is legit and running. This allows us to ship our products without headache about fraud. The overall design and layout of both the Android and desktop apps are smooth and easy to use.

Cons

We've experienced some rough moments with their customer support regarding some issues we had with installation initially, but it was resolved over the phone. Been great since.