Bonterra Development + Digital (formerly EveryAction) Reviews

Bonterra Development + Digital (formerly EveryAction)

Powerful tools and workflows for nonprofit fundraising pros

Adrian
Adrian

EA is the best CRM, online infrastructure and campaign management tool, period

Reviewed on 2021/09/16

I never take the time to write reviews, but here I am, 3 days away from the launch of a major fundraising event and capital campaign, taking precious time to fawn over the greatness that is Every Action. It's that good.

Pros

As someone who grew up using VAN for political campaigns, Every Action is the perfect continuation of that skill set. Everything is exactly where you expect it to be, and the Online Actions and Targeted Email modules are welcome additions that offer the full suite of features that I've come to expect from industry standard CRMs, with hardly any of the headaches that come with a software that allow you to write your own code.

Cons

Every Action's feature set is SO robust it can be overwhelming at first, especially for new users.

NationBuilder

Reasons for Choosing Bonterra Development + Digital (formerly EveryAction)

It was an overly expensive list creator, with a so-so CRM that I always found myself yelling at because it couldn't do the basic things that I had grown accustomed to with VAN.

Reasons for Switching to Bonterra Development + Digital (formerly EveryAction)

Voter Activation Network
Ralph

Intuitive UX makes this CRM one of the best

Reviewed on 2021/03/11

Pros

EveryAction has put a lot of thought into the layout and making it easy for users to do everything from creating emails to producing reports. The new drag and drop email feature is a game changer.

Cons

The committee structure which allows organization to create subaccounts can be a little clunky and integrations with Salesforce has gotten better but was not easy to implement.

ActBlue and Blackbaud eTapestry

Reasons for Choosing Bonterra Development + Digital (formerly EveryAction)

One of the best business decisions we've made was moving to EveryAction. The UX makes easy to jump in and find what you need to complete the task at hand.

Salsa CRM

Reasons for Switching to Bonterra Development + Digital (formerly EveryAction)

Dedication to continual improvement to the User Experience.
Tracy
  • Used for 6-12 months

Product is limited and customer service is the worst

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

Over the past two years, we have helped on partner migrate to EA and two partners leave the EA platform. The functionality of the system is limiting, to say the least. In doing so, we engaged with customer service for a variety of reasons. In the case of onboarding a new client, it was mostly crickets, our questions often went ignored or it was a "whatever" kind of answer.

Then just recently we helped a partner migrate from EA to Salesforce because EA was never going to be able to provide the layers and levels of functionality that this customer needed. Our experience was TERRIBLE!! The EA team held the org's data hostage, prolonged the process of migration, and made the customer pay for extra months that they didn't need because of EA's delay. Their responses to our questions were ambiguous, unhelpful and mostly petty.

If I could, I would blast how horrible EA is to everyone I know. I promise, as a consultant and a long-time nonprofit professional, I will NEVER recommend this product or this team to any of my clients or colleagues and if I run across people who are on EA, I will do my best to get those orgs to leave EA as soon as possible.

Pros

There was nothing that I liked about the software.

Cons

- Reporting is limited
- "Lists" are difficult to query and use
- Mass editing is impossible
- No forward-thinking functions like actions or reminders
- Record pages aren't laid out in any usable fashion
- "Help Articles" don't help at all
- Editing individual data is difficult
- Account model is limited = orgs vs. people vs. businesses
- Campaign and event hierarchy and construct is confusing

Susan

IndivisibleHoCoMD use of EveryAction

Reviewed on 2023/12/02

I find the overall use of this product positive. We have been able to put our many emails both weekly, bi weekly and monthly. Overall, our users like the emails and generally respond.

Pros

We are able to segment publications to specific voting areas. This helps keep our responses positive and limits communicating with others. I think it has directly helped our reader response rate.

Sign up forms had a direct impact on our meeting planning.

The drag and drop editor along with the email source is easy to use once you have tried it a few times. It is easy to understand the new features, as well. I find the color options and organization tools very effective for reader response to our emails.

Cons

When you need to find a tool, sometimes it is cumbersome since the product offers so much that it is almost impossible to find the item. I have spent a lot of time scrolling through the Help from EveryAction to find answers.

When adding photos to the emails, it is timely to scroll through all the other photos and find the one you added. It would help to be able to delete or archive some of the earlier pictures. I have to preface this comment as we are delegated the package from Indivisible.org. And have found some tools were not in that packaging.

Response from Bonterra

Thank you very much, Susan, for the review, providing detailed information using various aspects of Bonterra's Development + Digital.

We will definitely forward your comments to the appropriate Bonterra team about needing easier access to the Help section and additional ways to improve the tool.

Donaldson DC

EveryAction, a catalyst to advocacy and organising campaign for non-profit.

Reviewed on 2022/03/01

My organisation have been able solve the following existential problems within the non-profit sector using EveryAction.
1. Out reach to mass audience, we have expanded our reach a quadruple times than how we started over ten years ago.
2. Donation management, we can fundraise and manage those funds almost seamlessly.
3. Time management, with our virtual space events, time has been swiftly managed and by extension, we have saved money.

My overall experience with this tool has been very excellent.

Pros

The following features are golden pots of EA,
1. Reporting and Data Analysis
This section of the tool is one of the excellent thing that has been done so far. My team do not require so much complex data science skills to understand the dynamics behind the datasets in EveryAction. The graphs are punchy and easy to understand. Their presentation formats render them very useful to various stakeholders within my organisation.

2. The Administrative menu
This section is encompassing especially for the kind of jobs we have on our plate. Our organising team have been gratefully harnessing its simplicity and ease of use.

Cons

The integration part of this tool has not been great from our end. We are yet to harness it full potentials. We actually looking at ways of integrating our financial solution within our finance unit to this tool.

Secondly, the text messaging aspect has not being actively working as expected.

Sara
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

A great digital solution for non-profits! Price point is affordable!

Reviewed on 2023/11/21

Good experience overall. We have doubled our online giving revenue and grown our email file by a third in a year and a half!

Pros

Price is reasonable for the level we chose and the features available. Still many capabilities we can implement as we become more proficient with the platform, especially in automations and moves management.

Cons

Would like more flexibility with memberships and a bulk delete option.

Tasha
  • Industry: Political Organization

None Of the questions have any thing to do with my work

Reviewed on 2023/12/07

My overall experience with Everyaction has been great.

My overall experience with Everyaction has been great.

Pros

I like that I can set up events , sign volunteers up for events, set up one on one meetings, and keep track of my volunteers.

Cons

I don't really have any cons about this website.

Response from Bonterra

Hello Tasha, thanks for your positive review! We're thrilled to hear that setting up events, managing volunteers, and organizing meetings is working well for you. It's great that you're having a great experience. We appreciate your support!

Khelil

Excellent CRM

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

Overall, the CRM is a joy to work with. Most of the time, everything works seamlessly. The ability to create emails and form is very easy to learn and excel at.

Pros

EveryAction is an incredibly user-friendly CRM with excellent email and form building, great source code building, great segmentation tools, and very useful reporting-making tools. The ability to track community engagement, the ease-of-use and the attractive interface make EveryAction (which I use daily) incredibly helpful in my content creation and reporting.

Cons

EA reports are very good with one exception: I'd like a state-by-state breakdown of emails sent to recipients. Right now, I cannot easily find out how many emails the average person in California received from us. EveryAction should allow for local/state email counting.

Emily
Emily

EveryAction - powerful, and can be difficult to use

Reviewed on 2021/05/19

As an integrated solution for organizing, fundraising, and outreach, it's really hard to beat EveryAction. I have not used the other products. I am in accounting, so mainly use the donation tools for recognizing and managing income. I have done some troubleshooting with the wider team, however, and would use EveryAction again if i moved to a different organization.

Pros

EveryAction is a large and complex database system that can be highly customized. As flexible as it is, it can be difficult to know which parameters affect which queries. EveryAction is the gold standard, and it's great when there is already a power user on the team. Without an EveryAction power user on the team, some amount of skilling up is necessary.

Cons

It's a complex database and as mentioned in "pros" it can be difficult to know which parameters affect which fields. There is a lot of help documentation--but that too can be a con, getting to the correct article can be difficult. EveryAction help is very good--the help team did some one:one trainings for our team and they were fantastic.

Kris
  • Industry: Government Relations

LIUNA Minnesota recommends Bonterra

Reviewed on 2023/12/07

Bonterra is user-friendly and easy to use. We use Bonterra to target member communications and track member engagement. Using Bonterra has helped us clean up our membership data, resulting in less than 1% bad data

Pros

We use Bonterra for member communications and to track member engagement. Bonterra helps us target member communications and is user-friendly.

Cons

Members' school districts should be included in the base price.

Response from Bonterra

Hi Kris, we're thrilled to hear about your achievement of less than 1% bad data with Bonterra - what an incredible feat! Your success in effectively targeting member communications and tracking engagement is exactly what we strive for. A big thank you to the consultant who recommended us to you. Your feedback on including member school districts in the base price is noted and valued, and will be shared with the appropriate teams. Cheers to your continued success!

Kristy

User Review

Reviewed on 2022/01/27

It makes compiling lists for acknowledgment and tracking easy

It makes compiling lists for acknowledgment and tracking easy

Pros

Tracking of donations and management of contact information for acknowledgement

Cons

Site map can be a bit confusing regarding where to edit or update information

Gail
Gail

Opinions of a new user

Reviewed on 2022/06/22

Pros

It will alleviate other processes used in the past and provide all our records and information in one centralized location

Cons

The process and time it took for our old database and CRM platforms to be converted into EveryAction's lingo and platform

Averi
  • Industry: Political Organization

Good tool for sending targeted emails

Reviewed on 2023/12/04

Pros

The software works in partnership with other platforms like zoom and mobilize which makes setting up events and publicizing them seamless. We use Bonterra Dev for mass emails with weekly calls to action for our membership. The emails look professional and allow us to add photos and other content when communicating with our groups. We can also create specific lists to focus communications when emailing from the database.

Cons

The text generated portion of targeted emails is very clumsy and requires a lot of time and effort since the formatting puts one word on a line and runs down the page. I have to delete, cut and paste a lot to format it well.

The emails won’t send with tracking links but the software doesn’t identify which link is the culprit. I have to manually check every link to find the one preventing the email from sending. Would love for the software to take me to the link that needs editing.

Response from Bonterra

Thank you for the review, Averi. It is great to know that Bonterra's Development works so well with other software you're using so that your events are streamlined.

Your feedback about the email tracking links is appreciated and we'll send this useful information to the proper teams. Thank you!

Dani
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Great User Experience for Admins and Constituents

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Overall, it is a very clean and user-friendly database for both the admins and constituents. The only downside is that it was built for political organizations who canvass or phone bank, but they are working on making it more friendly and easier for non-profit organizations who do not fit that category.

Pros

Very easy to use and figure out system for the administrators and for the outside constituents. They have a robust reporting and infographics feature that helps you keep up on top of your goals and progress monetarily or with responses to forms/emails. The forms are very easy to build and use, with a clean look. The software has a lot of built in features which are great if your organization is politically active: makes lots of phone calls, uses a lot of volunteers, does a lot of canvassing. Additionally, the platform would be beneficial for a non-profit who wants to track their donations/fundraising and emailing easily in a system. The price is good for us since it is based on the number of contacts in your database, not the number of users.

Cons

As a membership organization who hosts a lot of events for our members, the systems are somewhat in place to meet our needs, but we need to do a lot of manual labor or pay extra fees to get the systems to work to fit all our needs. That being said, as the platform is seeking a broader audience of non-profits, they are starting to embed and automate the tasks we are currently doing manually or paying extra for.

Peterson

Our web developer recommended EveryAction to us. We are a patient advocacy organization.

Reviewed on 2018/05/03

Quite a few, but off the top of my head:
Modernized, nice looking communications.
Increased...

Quite a few, but off the top of my head:
Modernized, nice looking communications.
Increased engagement with volunteers.
Superior analytics.

Pros

EveryAction has modernized our communications in many ways. The most important improvement for us a nationwide advocacy organization has been the uniquely easy way that EAction helps us track and analyze our volunteer engagement. We are most excited about the event management and recruitment potential of EveryAction, and the possibility of unifying and bringing most of our digital communications under one tool.

Cons

Depending on your working and learning style,, you will either like the fact that EAction seems to constantly evaluate and/or add new/improved features, or you will probably feel unsettled by the changes. Either way, you will want to spend more time upfront watching the video tutorials or at least have a plan to ask for more training in order to understand the basic features, which remain largely unchanged. You may also want to be more proactive with seeking tech support.

Catherine

Powerful Platform

Reviewed on 2021/04/22

They are always quick to resolve any issues. And, they are constantly hosting trainings and finding ways for you to make use of your software. Not like other companies where the reps disappear.

Pros

I really like that they have very deep records you can keep on a donor. I also love that they are constantly adding features and working to improve their software.

Cons

I don't love the email - I wish there was more customization and reporting available. More similar to a constant contact.

Great membership/donation management product

Reviewed on 2021/04/12

We've had a good experience using EveryAction. We don't use it to its fullest, and there are some add-ons that we've not purchased/ used that could help us further. They continue to add and update features to make the product easier to use.

Pros

Integration was easy and the product is generally not difficult to use. Especially now that they've added drag -and-drop functionality for the emails. So much easier. Great way to keep track of who is donating and target our emails appropriately.

Cons

Some things are really clunky to use and the help info isn't always current or comprehensive. However, the emails to support are always answered quickly and usually resolved simply.

Sarah

I have used several CRMs and EveryAction is the most powerful and easiest to use, by far.

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

There are so many features of EveryAction that are exceptional. My favorite feature is the list builder. You can easily create a list of constituents and then run a report to access whatever data you need, all in seconds. Next, EveryAction has so many available fields - it is extremely flexible and easily accommodates your needs. Third, the support at EveryAction is fantastic - they are constantly improving the product and adding features my team suggests. Finally, I have never used a CRM that so easily allows for import and export of data.

Cons

There is a learning curve when it comes to direct mail plans and reports. However, there are very helpful tutorials on the EveryAction website to facilitate this.

nancy

This software has been great for us...much better than the program we were using before.

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Pros

flexibility of reports, ease of entry of data, identifying donor information good. household info good...

Cons

ability to use certain fields, frustrations with tech support, line is busy frequently would like to be able to schedule an appointment for help. Upgrade was very difficult and information from support not as helpful as it should have been.

Hannah

Best eCRM for nonprofits

Reviewed on 2022/07/07

It's the best eCRM option for nonprofits.

It's the best eCRM option for nonprofits.

Pros

Easy to use automation features, the best email wysywg i've ever used. Good looking donation pages.

Cons

The query builder could be simplified and easier to understand.

Craig
Craig
  • Industry: Political Organization

This software is powerful but easy to use. Great customer support as well.

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Tracking contributions, compliance.

Tracking contributions, compliance.

Pros

I like how intuitive it is to use. It is fast, easy to navigate, stores tons of important data, and makes my job a lot easier!

Cons

I would love if it was a little easier to customize, but overall a great product and highly recommended.

Stephanie

Adaptable CRM

Reviewed on 2021/12/17

Pros

EveryAction is very easy to use and adaptable software. Last year, we only used the software to track contributions and donors, but now we are able to help create plans for individual donors and foundations!

Cons

I would like the software to find a way to stop duplicate profiles from occurring or at least make it easier to find duplicates and merge them together.

Jackie
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

EA review

Reviewed on 2019/11/14

Pros

It houses our donor management/stewardship and our digital needs in one CRM.
Changes are being made to reflect the needs of the client.
Workshops and robust help docs
Relatively easy to use

Cons

Some of the donor management/stewardship functionality is lacking but many of the issues are being resolved through updates.

Loree
  • Used for 1+ year

Not the best CRM option for Nonprofits

Reviewed on 2019/11/28

Generally, I would not recommend this product, as there are many other options in the nonprofit space that also offer affordable "out of the box" solutions for CRM, online processor, and e-marketing that have smoother functionality and come with better customer service and support.

Pros

The email functionality of this software is good -- it can create nice-looking emails that are mobile responsive.

Cons

The hierarchy of how to organize, label and tag data is clunky and does not make for easy reporting on all elements desired. We have also found the customer service and support to be lacking. We find these to both be critical functions of an "out of the box" CRM for a nonprofit and these elements are far stronger in other systems.

Does everything but nothing well

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

EveryAction is convenient for non-profits because it's an out-of-the-box CRM solution with most of the features a non-profit or advocacy organization would want. EveryAction is provided by the same company (NGP) that creates the VoteBuilder and NGP tech products for Democratic campaigns, and is essentially the same SAAS repackaged for non-partisan groups.

Cons

The online actions product is buggy. Unfortunately, there's no simple solution to feed data into EveryAction's ecosystem without significant investment in building an app using their API when they could easily allow WebHooks or Zapier integration. They make documentation for the API and third-party integrations very hard to find so you'll use their native products which, unfortunately, are not very good.