2 044 reviews

AutoCAD

2D & 3D design & drafting platform

4,6 /5 (2044 reviews) Write a Review!

2 044 reviews
Aditya M.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

If you can imagine it, AutoCAD can draw it!

Reviewed on 2021/04/22

I have been using AutoCAD for more than 8 years. I have used it for CAD modeling, drafting, building design and construction detailing. I and my company has always used this program for any construction-related work. We have been using it as step one for creating a base model to be used in the Building Information Modelling process. We use it to develop Revit Model. Use it in Civil 3D for civil design. AutoCAD has always supported our needs.

Pros

The freedom that AutoCAD gives you is one of the most important. If I can imagine any drawing/component/part in my head, then AutoCAD can draw it. There is no more easy explanation for it. AutoCAD is the most versatile and compatible software for any engineering problem. It works with Revit, it works with Bentley Suite, it works with Google package, it works with almost all software. AutoCAD is a basic building blocks for drafting, design and engineering analysis.

Cons

AutoCAD does not provide full Building Information Modelling compatibility. Its content has only Geometric properties. It does not provide full parametric modeling and add a material characteristic to the model. It is simply a program that draws stuff. No intelligent modeling.

Viviane M.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

AutoCAD the most used program inside the architecture and engineering

Reviewed on 2021/04/14

I had a great experience with AutoCAD in the past. Now I'm trying to implement BIM methodology. Besides that, if I weren't using Revit, I would be using AutoCAD, because both programs attend to architecture and engineering needs.

Pros

It's an easy program and most people are adapted to use it, so the work is very practical. It's easy to find any doubt on the internet as also as on the Autodesk website. It is one of the most complete programs for architecture and engineering.

Cons

Besides the biggest use, the drawings in AutoCAD are represented by lines, and nowadays architecture and engineering need more. It's needed a program that has parametric objects, that contains informations about the model, such as the BIM programs like Revit, seld by Autodesk too.

Huynh T.

I have used Autocad more than 6 years

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Pros

As a Cad Draftsman and 3d Designer, I have worked with Autocad in most of the time. It is useful for me to finish my deadline projects, save me a lot of time with the Sheet Set Manager function. When I didn't know about this function, I spent a lot of time to print the drawing files for my company, that's silly of me. I also love the Dynamic block, I really love it. If you didn't know about this Dynamic block function, let's try to discover it and you will see how it saved your life. But I think this function is not easy to use, I have to test it many times whenever I want to create Autocad items for my library.
The other function of Autocad that I love is purge function, I don't say about the normal purge function. I want to say about purge function for a large file, it's a big problem when you use the old versions. But if you use Autocad 2013-2014, you need to install AutoCAD_2013_2014_DGN_Hotfix into your computer. Thanks for God, Autocad company combined this function in the new version.

Cons

My biggest problem with Autocad is Dimension function in Layout. When I did dimension in layout, the value was often changed automatically, for example from 250mm to 250,000mm. I didn't know why? I tried to many times to find out the reason, but I didn't succeed. Many people have the same problem like me. We really got stuck. If someone knows how to solve it, please tell me, I really appreciate it.
The other problem is print in Model. When I need to print multi-drawing in Model I have to use a script, the Sheet Set Manager only works with Layout.

Andrew Z.

AutoCAD review

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Has revolutionized virtually every engineering field in existence, and even almost single-handedly created an entire new industry: the CAD draftsman. Every draftsman must spend significant time and training specifying a field, but computer drafting is now virtually a career unto itself, almost secondary to the industry it supports. It is and always will be an imperfect tool, but is incredibly powerful and indispensable. There are other worthy competitors... but AutoCAD is the most widespread, and the best.

Pros

It is the industry standard - that alone counts for a lot, even though that means we're all contributing to its unofficial monopoly. Extremely powerful, customizeable, available in several specialized versions. It takes a while to learn the extents of what it can do - but that's not a negative, just a byproduct of its complexity. Learning the basics is fairly quick and easy, thanks to its intuitive setup, which has improved over the years.

Cons

Well known to be prone to frequent or at least unexpected crashes. Any seasoned AutoCAD user is well-trained to save work constantly. One brilliant tool Autodesk employed to help combat this is to save data across several separate files for any one drawing/project - that way if one of them becomes corrupt, it can be diagnosed, excised, and hopefully recreated. But again, any experienced user is accustomed to the frustration of occasionally losing hours of work and spending hours more investigating, backtracking, and rebuilding. It is also extremely expensive, which really cannot be avoided considering the vast and complex programming that goes into it, and also due to the security and monitoring necessary in today's ease of electronic pirating; this is a shame, because while in earlier decades it was perhaps expensive but not always prohibitively so, a novice can no longer attain a home copy to use/learn at their leisure.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

AutoCAD: Jack of all trades, master of none

Reviewed on 2019/06/08

I briefly used AutoCAD before using Revit for all of my time at university. I then switched to AutoCAD when I started my internship, as they did not have Revit. It really just takes a lot more time to do the same things. For example, I was tasked with drawing up some interior elevations, which I could do in Revit by simply making a section.

Pros

Without AutoCAD, many essential industries in today's world would crumble. It has become such a useful and essential tool in pretty much all design fields. Even when it is not the preferred tool, it works well and can be used effectively.

Cons

Too many people learned this software, and are afraid to switch to much better tools that would save time and money in the longrun. The construction and architecture industry, for example, have Autodesk Revit, which does pretty much everything AutoCAD does and more. AutoCAD is fine, but Revit is just better for this industry.

Jose B.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

It is a software that we use for the design of our products, with which we draw our solutions.

Reviewed on 2018/03/30

It has allowed us to deliver high quality products to our customers in a short time. He has made our professions, very competitive people and has energized our work.

Pros

I like the almost unlimited options you have to draw. I like the numerous menus of options that it has, as well as its automatic adaptation for each case. The use of a command line to manage the software makes it easier to use and therefore its use. Easily integrates with resources and files from other applications. Its integration with other programs of the autodesk suite, makes its use in the design of engineering projects almost indispensable. Its precision is remarkable. The integration for the use of this software for the handling of the plotters and equipment of exit helps notably in the operation of production.

Cons

I do not like that it has limitations to handle more than 600 thousand points. When we have needed to manage several .dwg files of different versions, the software can be fragile, it hangs up or it just comes out. The availability of help on errors is not so good. The network licensing system, for the moment of its activation must be easier to activate in the work stations. The management of vectorized images is not as powerful as it can fail faster if this number of images are larger when they are in the same plane and that is a problem. External references can be more versatile and easier to handle and even for different network locations and protocols.

Vaughan G.

Still the best contender

Reviewed on 2020/08/18

It is a fantastic piece of software that is unfortunately lead by a corporation that is too big for itself and the small matters don't get attended to.

It still remains one of the best pieces of software on the market due to the amount of features it has and the ability to interact with other software.

There are cheaper, faster alternatives out there that do work very well and try to mimick AutoCAD. However AutoCAD is very much ingrained in the industry and it will be hard to remove!

Pros

The sheer amount of customization and integrated features makes AutoCAD worthwhile. The ability to use LISP routines and get the software to do what you want.

AutoCAD is a basic CAD platform, so you can't go about generating Surface models and the like, but it does do normal drafting very well.

Cons

Autodesk has the habit of not addressing old issues from within the software.

For instance there are certain bugs that they have known about for over 5 years and done nothing about. This as well as the "new features" which, while great also tend to come at a cost - being slow and clunky.

Anamta F.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Sketch Your Dream On AutoCAD

Reviewed on 2021/04/16

I enjoy my experience and its features make me very happy when they cause ease in drawing difficult shapes very easily.

Pros

When I started using this software day by day I could unleash its amazing features. There can be other softwares present for drawing but AutoCAD is very much user-friendly, It allows us to draw in 2d as well as 3D space. It is so easy to draw any kind of long buildings or any other project on it. Also, it allows us to do wirings on it so that the complete layout of home, hospital, mall, etc can be drawn and also we can do electrical wiring with the insertion of even external electrical equipment in it so that each and everything from the length of cable to the placement of furniture can be model on AutoCAD. Its feature like mirror effect, dimensions, different arcs, etc allows you to draw complex shapes easily with proper dimensions as of original. Also, you can easily convert it into pdf so that print those documents out and can carry them to any place as a paper drawing. These all things were so difficult with hand and require particular skills whereas one can easily learn and work on AutoCAD very quickly so it is the best solution of drawing anything either 3d or 2d for any domain in the world. I will highly recommend this software to everyone. Actually, a one-time investment will open the door to longtime solution to the architectural problems.

Cons

This software has so many features for this reason to learn it completely you might need a little bit longer time and because of high features, it requires high-level computer hardware to make this software working properly.

Harshil K.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Other for 2+ years

It Creates Base roots to learn (n) Number of Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/23

Good, learning, Designing, satisfying and definitely a helpful tool for future engineers.

Pros

Being a student in my diploma and bachelor studies I used to have a subjects which are actually having some works in Autocad. I think it was a time of 2011 when I firstly use this Software. But after that I use a number of other softwares but the main fundamentals and base is learned through Autocad. Autocad 2D and 3D are far advanced and good Softwares to learn and to analyze a engineering drawing objects as well as a design. Autocad is not even limited to a single engineering field but almost every single engineering course later on their time deals with a design Software and Autocad used to be the first choice as it is easily available and inexpensive especially for the institutes and universities. The coordinates understanding and structure of Autocad is pretty easy to understand. I also believe that a person who has a very good command over Autocad can operate (n) number of design Softwares.

Cons

A lot of updates were required as per time for e.g the offerings of the other competive softwares are sometimes far better and good then Autocad which crates a huge difference in actual use. Market research and regular improvements were highly recommended for Autocad.

Thomas W.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Software Review - AutoCAD

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Overall, it has been a great experience with the amount of time I've using it. I've used this software for about a year, and while 3D product design/drafting is not my main focus as a career, I'd consider use this software again if given the chance, seeing as I had already had some experience and knowledge about the program.

Pros

The aspects I liked most about this software include the fact that, to me, it was one of the most straightforward 3D design programs out there. The tools were easy to navigate. Once I have been using this software for about two weeks, I had known the basics of the fundamentals of 3D modeling in regards to product design, etc. My opinion might be a little biased as I have had experience with design software in the past, but I still think it is one of the best for product/3D design. The ease of the cutting/separation tool made it easier to formulate my ideas in a more streamlined workflow.

Cons

With the amount of experience I had with this product, I hadn't really found anything I didn't like about this software. One thing that was a bit annoying at times was not being able to directly navigate to a really small object that wasn't part of the intended design, even though that might be more related to my own personal experience.

Sharon C.

The Industry standard AutoCad...from beginners to advance

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

I started using this program in 2005 when you had to type every live curve, duplicate to draw. Like line, 6’5 feet. I mean the whole thing. Now you hit the icon put in 6’5 it draws it. You can set the scale for each drawing whether its commercial 1/8 or residential 1/4 and remains that way. Layers are a breeze. Setting up your pages with borders and logo is easier. You can create your own furniture and save it, but you have to make its in the right scale. No designer or architect should be without this program. Love the integration that pairs nicely with revit and even sketch up. Learn it.

Pros

The new interface is much easier to use. I love the tutorials and you can bounce back from 2D and 3D now. The auto save feature is awesome so you son’t Have to remember to back up. I love how you can interact and create the sheets. You never have to leave the drawing if you are creating different layers. The integration with sketchup and even revit is much easier. Every thing is so much easier. Its on every platform and even on tablets and you now can use the Apple Pencil with the program.

Cons

You have to be careful in creating and saving your sheets and not losing them. I would copy another drawing and and save it in case a client needed changes. Despite the upgrades and changes, each version takes a while to learn. Make sure you have the latest adobe and sketch up. Back up everything.

José luis P.
  • Industry: Building Materials

The BEST and MOST well known CAD software in the market

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

I used AUTOCAD to model roofing tiles for the construction company Iused to work with, this made us able to present our products in a more professional way to our customers, and helped to control the measures on our production lines.

I was able to convert 2D images to 3D, and vice versa, helping us to save time and make the desing task a lot easier.

Pros

AUTOCAD is from my point of view, the most friendly, versatile and intuitive CAD software in the market. There are LOTS of information in the internet which provide an extra help for beginners and intermediate users.

Being backed up by AUTODEKS is a HUGE plus, since they are the most experienced developers on this area.

I also liked the fact, that I was able to load the designs on my tablet, and present them to upper management easily.

Cons

The cost per license is a bit high, and
some of the modeling capabilities might not be the best choice for 3D modelling and advance designers.

Jon G.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great Design Software

Reviewed on 2021/03/08

Overall, very happy with this product. As mentioned it has a ton of features and capabilities. It is extremely helpful with the offline option, meaning I don't require a connection to complete my work as I travel and am constantly on the move. Highly recommend for anyone doing design work or sales.

Pros

This software is packed with features. It allows me to do realtime mock ups on designs we use for our clients. The 3D models help me to visualize and sell products and placements. It allows me to automate some of the processes and customize with many available add-ons.

Cons

This is a program where training is extremely beneficial. It is complicated and powerful, so to get the most out of it, it is best approached with some assistance if possible. if not, then expect a learning curve.

Mario G.

The best drafting software

Reviewed on 2018/01/19

Endless benefits

Pros

The capabilities of the software are just endless. Starting with the possibility of being able to draw with accurate measurements, and then scale it as much as you want with annotative scales, up to being able to create 3D Models. This software is almost essential for every architect or industrial designer because there are just a few similar softwares out there in the market, and non of them do what AutoCAD does, you can change layering, apply text, dimensions, surfaces, solids, meshs, you can do xrefs, etc etc.

Cons

The only cons that I have experienced, is that this is not a BIM software, and now architectural firms are using BIM more and more. So, you're not going to be able to get everything done just by modeling your project. However, Revit from AutoDESK (the same company that created AutoCAD) is BIM and actually is pretty awesome to work with.

Alonso M.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

make your plans with profession

Reviewed on 2019/10/31

My team and I have carried out very large processes and things since Autocad is very accessible and things are very relevant for the importance that it gives as the final result and establishes in your work area as the final result.

Pros

Extensive variety of administrative tools that help you to be able to perform and determine more things within your plane that you are working on, Autocad is cataloged by good software and its handling is difficult for a person who has no experience but to be fair you do not have to determine and dialogue as generally the greatest power and tool that can help you if you are from a person in an administration area or perform any mechatronics action to be able to use and perform with more comfort and different capacities

Cons

its handling is very exclusive and it has to be used in very few machines that can withstand this software since it is very demanding to work correctly and is not very reliable to work on more than one available computer, its licenses are very small and for smaller teams of use

Gizelle antoinette D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

AutoCAD Experience as a MEPFS Field Engineer

Reviewed on 2019/07/28

Pros

AutoCAD has been very useful for my former role as MEFPS Field Engineer in a construction company here in the Philippines. It helps me and the team visualise the outcome of the project in Land development. Specific measurements for design such as lengths for construction of streetlights were analysed, design of manholes, and floor plans were created using this software. Through this, I was able to estimate the materials needed such as wire lengths, number of manholes and the like. This is highly recommended especially for the construction industry since it is user-friendly, reliable, and a helpful tool to be able to complete projects in a certain period of time.

Aside from this, what I truly wanted with this program are the commands like pressing "L" for Line. It makes the process of creating lines easier which would shorten the amount of time in creating your project using this software.

Cons

If you have just downloaded AutoCAD software in your laptop, you cannot just learn it by your own in a short period of time. You have to watch some tutorials to be able to cope up on how to use it or ask somebody to teach the basics.

Asmar S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

The best Software for Drawing Plans and Detailing

Reviewed on 2021/02/28

In the Industry I work in, we use this AutoCAD a lot to showcase stage and event locations, and present them to our clients. This is mandatory for stage construction. We are ver satisfied with this software as it made our office day to day lives easier. I don't think there is a better program in the marketplace.

Pros

The best features of AutoCAD are the ease of use once you get the hang of the functions and codes.
Installation is pretty easy but on some old pc's it can take some time.
You can create 3D models efficiently in a rapid manner after having completed the 2D plans.

Cons

The rendering is option is a bit basic. To be more specific, the colors, textures.. are a bit outdated.
Experiencing some minor bugs, like sudden crash of the app that happens very rarely, and I think it happens in every other software, as long as you have the auto-save feature.

Maciej S.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

It's my daily drafting desk.

Reviewed on 2017/10/13

I've created a lot of big to small scale successful projects.

Pros

As far as the drafting tool is concerned, it is unmatched and definitely most popular one. Fast, reliable and precise. In the architectural work it's great for making quick underlays for further 3D processing in BIM software. The 3D modeling is quite complex with all the coordinate system setup but AutoCAD is very good to create precise 3D models from technical documentation.
It keeps compatibility between different versions. The integration with other Autodesk software is very good.

Cons

The next new versions follow very quickly so yours gets outdated quite fast. There are some very good ideas from other CAD software vendors, and I'd love to have them implemented in next versions of AutoCAD. Better research and listening to the requests of users would be desired.

Karenny P.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Software that has evolved Computer-Aided Drawing

Reviewed on 2018/02/25

Pros

As an architecture student, I need to take my projects to the digital projection and AutoCad allows me to link with other programs to better visualize and present it. In addition, its functions are totally useful for those of us who are in this profession. It allows to include text, delimit, make cuts and others. Like all programs, it requires knowing the commands and thus be able to obtain better results when drawing.

Cons

Sometimes for having so much information and including more and more layers in the drawing makes it a bit slow to load, but also due to the capacity of the computer (Laptop or desktop) where this program is installed, the rest is great help and with the right license, correct handling is the best that can be possessed to design and design the design in dimensional and three-dimensional form.

Freddy A.
  • Industry: Design

The Most Standard "Language" for any Industrial Designer

Reviewed on 2020/07/27

AutoCAD has been my first love at first sight of CAD softwares, is really powerful when it comes to complex drawing projects where you need the best visualization, but at least for me, that's where it ends, you're probably gonna need another software for 3D.

Pros

AutoCAD is probably the easiest to use and the most forgiving software for any Industrial Designer, you can use it as a Student and as a Professional.
The logic behind the drawing tools is pretty intuitive, even for a first time user, I bet you can do a pretty good drawing in just minutes.

Cons

3D workspace looks a bit wonky, tried once, but I just chose to move to a dedicated 3D CAD program instead.
And probably my biggest gripe is how complex and messy the printing of documents is, you always end up breaking something and saving a cropped pdf.

Renier A.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

AutoCAD Benefits

Reviewed on 2020/08/12

The business problems we are solving in using AutoCAd is the advance and future planning we are able to visualize the layout and optimize every space and see which is the best also accurately measure the dimesnsion of every parts or materials. Also very good to send to suppliers for quotation purpose and very universal and widely use across the globe.

Pros

The most I like to AutoCAD is that it is very user friendly easy to use and offer a tips tutorial.
Also very common files for DWG and making 2d and 3d plans and layout. Which is very good in planning.

Cons

The least about this software is that it is a little bit expensive the license. There is so much option for you to enable other works like mechanical, electrical they are in different AutoCAD category or class so need to purchase other license to get other features.

Julio a R.

the software allows to show design criteria of civil engineering of projects construction

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

My job it's based on this software because I'm a civil engineer and I'm a project manager for my own engineering firm. It's a very large software and every day I'm learning from it. I'm not use every command in the list of the software but I keep searching the best way to achieve the drawings and complete my goals on every project.

Pros

There' re three thing I like about the software, the built in database of electric installations, architecture standards and pre elaborated blocks, the ease of adapting more personalized formats and the possibility of generating views in three dimensions (3D) with their rendering finished of a project

Cons

Sometimes I hate the failure of the measurement system, that is not always keep the format as I like and the failure of memory that close suddenly the software, even if I don't have anything else open

Carlos david M.

Im an Architecture student, so i use frequently to represent technical plans in my projects.

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

I used autocad during all my academic preparation, and it is essential for any architecture company.

Pros

AutoCad Is a program that allows you to represent all types of projects with accuracy, it is perfect for calculating spatial measurements in three dimensions. I can be used for any type of desing projects.
Also, the interface configuration allows me to handle colors that affect visual exposure less.

Cons

In general:
I use commands to do any modeling operation, so I think the interface of the buttons is a bit useless, hiding it and showing it only for special cases. It is a bit annoying

In particular:
The divide operation (DIV) does not have the same logical sequence of other operations. It should work with the same logic, such as Trick (TR) or Extender (EX)

Maria alejandra L.

For me was a perfect way to show my projects and my work, incredibly, useful and powerful

Reviewed on 2018/06/07

i started to use Autocad when i was doing an internship about mining engineering, and need to create a flowchart about a mineral processing plant, so i start to create everything since cero. Thanks to that, i begin to develop habilities with the diferent tool that autodesk offer and got important jobs for me and my experience career.
with hard work i can create topographies plans, flowcharts, develop of a mining front of production or development, also structures for the office or mining processing plants, all that habilities and a lot more make me stand out for my name and my career.

Pros

What i like the most about this software is that it base his sistem on the basic of the desing so, all you need is to have a bit of spacial habilities and start create. Also this tool can be used for engineering (in all his fields), architecture, earth ciencs, and show visualy what do you want to create. You have many propieties about starting a desing, that you can play with you options until you can adapt him to you proyect.
You can change your platform for working, and put the background in a color you prefer, and put the pointer bigger or smaller, depends on what you want.

Cons

may be what i don't like about autocad, is when you start to using the program if that if you don't have a small notion of how the program work you couldn't start even to make a line. you could know the basic with a quicker tutorial when you install the program, but you only have all the codes and comands and new buttons, that can be tricky to use at the very begining.

Mohammed umar farooq P.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Best Detailing Software for Structures

Reviewed on 2019/12/31

We use it for detailing of civil engineering structures to our students and it is the best way to reduce the time to design with great precision and accuracy.

Pros

It is the best detailing software for any Civil Engineering structures available in the market. It's user interface is awesome and very easy to use. 3D is just great. Exporting option in any type of file is a great way to use it.
Very large projects can be handled with precise measures. Can be used in cloud as well.
There so many features in AutoCAD which we can make use to design the products. It can save time with 100% accuracy.

Cons

Rendering takes more time and can be improved. Need training to use the software to understand all the features.