dominKnow Reviews

dominKnow

eLearning authoring tools & publishing for teams

5/5 (15 reviews)
Peter H.

Cloud-based authoring for cloud skills training!

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

We are using dominKnow | ONE to create web-based training on a variety of cloud computing topics and skills. Since these topics are constantly changing, we need a tool that produces high quality output while being easy to learn and use, especially for engineers who won't make authoring their career. dominKnow | ONE hit the target for us.
The onboarding training we received from dominKnow made the ramping up process all the easier.

Pros

There is a lot to like with dominKnow | ONE. It is browser-based and keeps all files in the cloud, which is important as we often have student interns working on our eLearning projects. Review functionality is built in from the ground up; you don't have to be an author to provide comments, and it is easy to track how each comment is resolved. The Capture tool is fantastic, it allows eLearning developers to create software demoes without having to import/customize screen recordings made with another tool.
I like having the choice between Claro for fixed-pixel projects and Flow for responsive projects.
Finally, I found it very easy to customize the player with our corporate colours and branding.

Cons

dominKnow | ONE doesn't allow you to start text lines with spaces. This is a challenge as we deal in computer programming with very specific spacing requirements.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the great feedback and review Peter. For your con item, a couple options are to add a characters in place of "spaces" and apply a course style that changes the color of those specific characters to match the background. You could also try the padding feature which will move it over.

As always we greatly appreciate your business and feedback to help make dominKnow|ONE great.

Jacqueline H.

Great Tool for Moving Beyond Page Turner Course Development

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

My overall experience with DominKnow|One has been great. I'm excited to be able to offer a responsive course output, and a solution that makes it easy to integrate xAPI. These are the two biggest asks from my clients. I'm really looking forward to seeing where I take my next big mobile course project.

Pros

I've really been enjoying learning DominKnow|One. One of my most favourite things about this software is the team access and review functionality. Specifically, I love that content is visible all the time, and accessible to the team. When someone is away on vacation, or leaves for other opportunities, the course they were working on it right there, available for someone else to take over or update. Along these lines, the course is always the latest version, so you don't have to search through files and iterations - no more opening and working on an old file! This functionality alone is worth the switch for teams that have multiple IDs and Devs working on projects. But what really excited me was that this software really does help me create truly responsive output for mobile use, unlike the other products that are more mobile friend rather than fully responsive.

Cons

My background is in tools like Lectora and Storyline, so my biggest challenge was understanding that the development is more like a webpage and less like a rapidly developed course. This was the biggest learning curve I had - learning the language associated with this and connecting it to what I already knew from other products. Luckily, DominKnow provided a really great training resource that helps drive your learning and adoption of the new way of doing things. I felt like I had a mentor helping me as I learned.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the great feedback. Keep an eye out for the next release. We'll be adding even more built in widgets and another, even easier, authoring mode to get more folks with less experience involved in developing content. If you are interest in trying out the beta, ping us.

Melissa S.

An Excellent Fit for Our Team

Reviewed on 2019/08/21

Pros

As a completely virtual team of designers, Dominknow provides us with ability to create high quality customized e-learning while supporting developing Instructional Designers and ensuring effective stakeholder review. The shared media library allows us to re-use assets and the relatively easy integration of variables allow you to create resources that previously would have required programming knowledge.

Cons

There is a learning curve for new authors as they learn the tool. However, this seems to be a common experience with all professional e-learning development software.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the great partnership over the years Melissa. We love working with K12. You've probably already started to use the multiple authoring modes (to make it easier for SMEs and other non authors), but look for an even easier option than our Essentials mode later this year.

Kristine S.

Awesome Cloud Based Authoring tool!

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

I thoroughly enjoy working in Dominknow and it's been quite easy to pick up. It's a great solution to other larger platforms that do not offer the same customer service. I hope to continue to see them grow in their functionality.

Pros

Dominknow makes it easy to work across teams and share progress on a project. It's cloud based platform makes saving easy and secure. I appreciate that since it's cloud based you always have the latest version versus accidentally opening an old version of a training on a desktop application. The responsiveness is incredible and unlike any other authoring tool.

Cons

Some of the functionality and tools was a bigger learning curve. The training provided is comprehensive, but I wish it was more interactive to allow you to practice these skills in a simulation.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for your feedback Kristine. Please drop me a line with more details about your suggestions for improving our training materials. You might also check out our community where we've begun to add even more helpful information https://community.dominknow.com

Jeff F.

Dominknow Flow -- a great tool!

Reviewed on 2017/03/16

I was blown away by Dominknow Flow when I participated in a webinar to check it out. The automatic responsiveness and what seems like an infinite amount of customization options really are what convinced me. Our organization is always looking to improve the user-experience for different learning opportunities, and with Flow, users can feel like they are immersed more in a web site rather than a standard elearning course with "next" and "previous" buttons.

The templates that are provided are GREAT resources that allow you to start ahead of the game, and can give you ideas to build upon.

It took some time for me to get used to the differences between Flow and other authoring tools I had used, as there is a bit of a learning curve. Like anything else, if you approach it with an open mind, after a while things just started to click. I'm looking forward to more updates to Flow and Claro to see what else these guys have in store!

Pros

The automatic responsiveness for mobile; the templates; customer support

Cons

n/a

Response from dominKnow

Thanks much for your review Jeff, your feedback and suggestions have been invaluable to our team. Learning to think "different" and "responsive" is a switch from the traditional e-learning approach, but it sure does pay off! We look forward to keep adding more features and templates for you in the future!

Francesco P.

Features, flexibility and ease of use in one solution

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

After working with dominKnow for several years, across multiple releases of its different authoring modalities (Claro, Flow, Capture) I have to admit that this solution, especially in its current integrated "dominKnow One" platform, is the best combination of advanced features, flexibility of configuration and ease of use.

Pros

dominKnow One is the most comprehensive eLearning authoring solution available on the market, which also includes robust collaborative features.

Cons

The security model does not allow creating hierarchical domains and security roles cannot be customised.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the feedback on dominKnow|ONE. We've appreciated your business over the years and your great feedback as a customer has enabled us to continue to improve our solution.

Melvin N.

dominKnow Review

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/08/19

One thing that saved us is when we needed to create a website page and we had a tight deadline. dominKnow got everything that we need in order to create the website.

Pros

This software is a great tool that helps us build eLearning content or website based pages with less time. The functionalities within the software are a good fit on what we need and it greatly boost our production time. It is easy to use and to understand if you're a beginner since there are a lot of helpful tips that you can get in their KnowledgeBase and online.

Cons

Can't say anything about a thing that I like least about. It's just that I think it needs to have more improvement when it comes loading the page. Overall it is a really good software.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the great feedback Melvin. In terms of page load time, I know we've made some big improvements to that, but do ping me and let's see if we can't look to get even better!

Louis M.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Very happy with dominKnow and most especially happy with the support from the dominKnow team. If at any time me or my team has questions they are always willing to help.

Pros

I am not a training developer and I have not having experience working with an authoring tool. It was easy to just jump in and learn the product and be able to create some learning modules. Not having to have multiple licenses for reviewers has made it easy to add different people to review the material designed and love that it is xAPI ready.

Cons

Would love to see the search feature be more robust in the Knowledge Base template. Just simply does a full text search of all articles.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the great feedback and partnership Louis. In terms of the search feature, I'm not sure you knew this, but search ALSO searches keyword and descriptions as well as full text. The next release also has some look and feel improvements too I would be happy to show you. If there is something else you are looking for, please let me know, we really appreciate your partnership and business.

Mohan D.

E-learning power with dominKnow ONE

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Excellent e-learning tool which has the potential to be the number one, and I said above I explored many interactions related and using different technologies on the tool which made me amazed at the intuitive way that has been developed and supporting all the necessary technical needs.

Pros

As I'm working on the claro standard version and the flow version, ONE is the beautiful blend of both, which improves performance and ease of access to the creative content, the main part is the adaptability of the content throughout various devices, so that anyone can access the content anywhere and on any device. The tool provides lot of interactive actions which is in my opinion added to the creativity and ease, so that we can port the content to people in a very creative way. And again there is no limit in the tool for integrating other technologies like HTML, CSS, Javascript and Jquery, which is again a great add-on for the dynamism of the tool. I believe Developers really enjoy using the tool and explore more regarding the same.

Cons

NOT REALLY I Don't have any CONS

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the review Mohan. We've enjoyed having your company as a customer for the past 6+ years. Your organization continues to provide invaluable feedback that has helped us to create the solution we offer today!

Praveen R.

My observation about DK One

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

Highly intuitive, Excelent learner engagement tools, Great translation features.

Cons

Assessment functionality can be improvised

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for your feedback and continued partnership!

Niyoka M.

Dominknow One

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

We are building competency-based modules and Dominknow One allows us to be creative with our projects and in the way that we present our content.

Pros

It is very easy to use. As a new user and a newbie to instructional design, it really helped ease my fear of working with this designing software.

Cons

There is nothing that I do not like. While I am still learning, the possibilities seem endless.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much Niyoka for the review. It has been a great pleasure for dominKnow to partner with K12 over the years!

dominKnow ONE Review

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/08/13

dominKnow ONE is the full meal deal & your imagination is your only limit. It addresses mobile responsive access, compliance issues, interactive video etc. and it's fund to use.

Pros

It's flexibility. The only limit to what you can do is your imagination. Luv the responsive aspect & the ability to preview things as you go along. It's also nice that there is support for Section 508, WCAG 2.0 Level AA, and WAI-ARIA compliance. The online help is great plus the ability to access their community portal to access information and ask questions. Interactive video - say no more :)

Cons

Flow design is a change but a great one. Nevertheless, those that do not handle change well might have a bit of a conceptual learning curve. Then again, if they do, they can create courses using Claro.

Christian paul N.

A great authoring software

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Pros

Clean and Professional looking, support is very responsive.

Cons

Flexibility of the objects and assets that you'll import.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much Christian. Its been a real pleasure having you as a customer. Keep up the great feedback!

Jonathan R.

Effortless xAPI, interactivity at speed.

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/08/19

For responsive courses, the speed at which you can include advanced interactivity is amazing. You can quickly build something that looks very professional. There is a mental adjustment to the way it works, though. PowerPoint skills will not translate directly and you'll have to get out of the habit of right clicking for a menu. If you are interested in using xAPI there is nothing on the market that makes it as easy as dominKnow.

Pros

I love how dominKnow ONE has built-in xAPI support. Getting other rapid elearning software to issue xAPI statements to an LRS usually requires JavaScript in the tool, then you have to publish, then you have to add files and write code to the published files to get it to work. With dominKnow ONE all you need to do is tick the boxes and publish!

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve with developing in the tool. I had to unlearn some workflow assumptions.

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for the feedback Jonathan! We're especially glad to hear you are enjoying our xAPI support. Do let us know more about how you are taking advantage of it. We'll be out at iFest next week and love to share how customers are utilizing the capabilities.

Amanda P.

Best option for collaborative elearning

Reviewed on 2017/03/16

We collaborate with SMEs and stakeholders all across the country on our elearning - most of whom are volunteers. An easy-to-use platform is critical to our success and Claro is just that. Robust features for development and simple sharing and review tools more than make up for the quirks here and there (mostly due to cross-browser compatibility). And the Domiknow customer support is tops in terms of helping customers overcome the inevitable bugs. Try getting that kind of help from Adobe!

Response from dominKnow

Thanks so much for your feedback Amanda. We've definitely appreciated your business over the years and helping Boat U.S. Foundation to achieve their goals