Wire Reviews

Wire

The most secure collaboration platform.

4.7/5 (39 reviews)

Wire - secure messaging platform as well as audio/video comms is finally here!

Reviewed on 2018/09/18

As an early Wire (personal) adopter and a vocal supporter (I want to say Ambassador), I may be a bit biased. Still, I strongly believe everyone deserves a fully secure communication platform and there must be no compromise on that - Wire proves it's possible.
I have successfully converted more than a couple dozens users to Wire - and we never looked back.

Pros

First and most of all, Wire is all about security. Full E2E encryption for all the services it provides - messaging, voice, video. There are no compromises here and if security is a top priority, you don't have to look further.
As far as I know, they are already doing some post-quantum cryptography experimenting, which is really impressive.
Did I mention they are 100% Open Source? Did I say the voice quality is absolutely fantastic?

Cons

Not a lot of things I can say I don't like - basically for private usage the only issue is adoption, as the competition is very hard (not that I find any of the competitors good) and most people base the adoption on the number of people already on the platform.
For business usage, I would say that it has everything that most people would want - yeah, including gifs, but it's always hard to adopt a new tool/software for the team, especially a communication platform.

Samer A.

The best we've found, but leaves a lot to be desired

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Not loving it, sometimes really frustrated by it, but it works just well enough to keep around. I don't know of any secure messaging alternatives that work any better...

Pros

Our organization works with vulnerable communities and needs to be able to communicate securely so we've been looking for an encrypted alternative to Slack for some time now. Wire seemed like the closest fit in terms of the features we wanted: custom "channels" the ability to include some people outside of the org, silo'ed information, and secure group calling. It hasn't been spectacular at any of those things, but it hasn't been terrible either.

Cons

Wire is a pretty new product and it shows. The calls frequently drop, or some people's audio won't connect, etc. etc. Calls generally have to be limited to just a 3-4 people or the quality degrades even further. Our plan to use it as a communication tool with communities has been shelved indefinitely while we wait for some upgrades. In the meantime, our team mostly uses it text each other, which has been a significant improvement over email, but not quite as functional or intuitive as Slack channels. Nevertheless, it seems to be the best thing we've got so we're sticking with it for the time being.

6.0/10
Amin A.

Security and Privacy

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

For now, it is a great app as it is highly recommended by a not for profit organisation that cares for personal privacy and security.

Pros

Security and Privacy and ease of use. Also, the options to sign up either by phone number or an email.

Cons

Unsure of making bots to prevent sharing suspicious links or prohibiting calls to unknown users.

Manfred M.

Easy and secure to use communication solution for our business

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

We like Wire a lot because of the end-to-end encryption, we as a hotel deal a lot with sensitive data of clients to make them feel comfortable during the stay. In order to do this we use Wire across different platforms like on desktop in the reception and on mobile with all our staff. Wire makes it easy to communicate in a modern way via messenger by not needing to think about if the data is protected well enough.

Pros

Our main pros we like about Wire are the end-to-end encryption, the fact Wire offers apps for all platforms and gives us the opportunity to communicate across these. Audio quality is very good compared to other solutions or regular phone calls.

Cons

We noticed some bugs during our use but they also got resolved pretty fast by the team.

Bruno B.

Wire use in clinical research

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

I'm the Principal Investigator of an NIH funded research study using Wire to deliver group therapy via text and video-calls to people with a serious mental illness. So far, participants and staff have greatly enjoyed the interface, its innovative features, and the user experience in general. In particular, the group video-conferencing feature allows for smooth and high-quality group calls from mobile devices. In summary, the software has exceeded our expectations in terms of reliability and functionality.

Cons

If I were to pick one area that could be improved, it would probably be the option to easily download and securely archive existing text-based group conversations, which isn't currently available. However, it is my understanding that Wire has plans to develop this feature moving forward.

Jörg E.

Increase our productivity

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Pros

We´re now faster in internal communication. We like most, that we are able to have different streams and can send layouts and easily assess ist.

Cons

The Mac Version (Desktop) need some updates in design und functionality.

Danna I.

WIRE has been a game changer for our Program

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Pros

I love WIRE because it allows our team to communicate easily and securely. We are a new team and decentralized across a lot of different countries so we needed something to replicate an 'office space' - somewhere to have quick conversations with the right people; somewhere to share files and sometimes jokes; and somewhere to share documents with easy encryption. WIRE did all of these things for us and ore.

Cons

Because our IT system is pretty locked down we have issues with automatic updates running smoothly in our system - resulting in a pretty much dysfunctional app. Instead we need to use the browser version.

Natalie D.

Excellent Alternative to Slack

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

It has been a great product as something that is very similar to Slack without all of the weird publicity. Slack has seen some issues recently with identity and I think Wire has much more flexibility and integrity. I trust them.

Pros

I love that this software is always up to date and helps me reach my work team at all times of the day. You can set it up through an app on your phone and always be nearby for work emergencies. I also appreciate that it is an encrypted software that allows us to have conversations without fear of it being hacked in to or stolen.

Cons

I think that this software could have a wider selection of gifs and images for use in conversations. I know that seems a bit silly in a work environment but many of us express ourselves through gifs and memes.

Felix B.

Wire Teams

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

We are organizing a distributed Team with high expactiations to security and usability especially with regards to group text chat. These expectations were completely satisfied.

Pros

- Great call and video quality
- Highly Secure Architecture

Cons

- UI is a bit messy, especially with lots of contacts
- Calls a are somethimes Buggy to establish, especially with multi-device usage

Jan W.

Best Messenger

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

For me it is ideal for brief contacts with my patients improving their satisfaction

Pros

End-to-end encryption, independency of SIM-Card, cross-platform usability, Synchronization of messages, all-in-one-backups => safety and transfer to other devices is easy, multiple accounts in one app, lack of advertisements

Cons

Compared to other messengers, there were no disadvantages

Kehkeshan A.

Excellent

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/08/20

I had really good experience and never faced any issue. The only suggestion is if some working can be done on its price as its a bit pricey.

Pros

Very easy and user friendly and easy to communicate on individual and group basis as both facilities are available.

Cons

A bit costly as compared to the work requirement

Beautiful, Easy to use, Top notch security, Messaging as it should be

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Pros

Wire is a great example of well developed security messaging. The UI is beautiful and the security does not drag down the ease of use of the software. This is a prime example of engineers knowing how to balance usability and security.

Veronica F.

Great system

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Well I can easily contact my partners and it is clear in display.

Pros

Time efficient easy to set-up and use. Very simple

Cons

I don't really recall anything that I am not happy with just yet.

Luka G.

Best encrypted collaboration platform

Reviewed on 2018/09/11

For a regulated crypto assets exchange data privacy is of utmost importance. Wire assures us fully encrypted communication and gives us and our clients top level security.
Luka Gubo, CEO

Pros

Ease of use, strong encryption, good call quality (audio and video)

Cons

Limited number of callers on encrypted video call

Response from Wire Swiss

Thank you, Luka! Increasing the number of participants in a video call is definitely something we plan to work on in the future.

Sharifah T.

Review from non-profit

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

Pros

The end to end encryption of the platform is great. The app is super easy to use, and adding new features is building on the capabilities for our remote team structure.

Cons

The app seems to take up a lot of space and can slow down other software when in use. We also would love a larger group video option as it currently only allows up to 4. If we can consolidate all of our comms needs into the one platform, that would be best, but we currently have to rely on other platforms for larger conversations.

Sam L.

Wire is an actually secure messenger

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

We use Wire at SiteSquad.com to chat and collaborate quickly and securely every day. It's become our go-to over email or SMS. I highly recommend it to any individual or company looking to take their communication to a higher level of security.

Pros

+Encrypted chat
+File sharing
+Screen sharing
+Multi-device support

Cons

-Somewhat steep learning curve
-Cannot screen-share with control

Response from Wire Swiss

Hi Sam, thanks for the review! Please email [email protected] if you need Pro-level support, we noticed you found the support experience lacking.

Leyniker R.

Great wire tool

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Pros

It works very well light, safe, calls that are not cut, minimalist and pleasant interface, does not need phone number and, of course, free

Cons

I would only ask for a way to backup the chats and then restore

Response from Wire Swiss

Hi Leyniker,

Thank you very much for the positive review. Regarding backups, this is very much possible!

For Desktop: https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000824805-How-can-I-backup-my-conversation-history-

For Mobile: https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000775549-How-can-I-backup-my-conversation-history-

More information on history backup is also available on our Blog: https://wire.com/en/blog/history-backup/

Why I love using Wire for Work

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

Pros

Wire is a great way to contact employees about a variety of tasks. It is great because it is encrypted so you can discuss work related matters in a more secure way.

Cons

Wire is pretty slow and sending photos in chats.

Roman L.

Awesome Service, very user friendly, can be a little techie at times. Needs more features.

Reviewed on 2018/03/26

Secured Chat System. Quickly and Easy communicate with business staff from anywhere!

Pros

Ease of use and security (Top Priority) ... User friendly and conveniently accessible across all platforms makes it a must have! Customer service has been top notch and completely transparent when it comes to service patches and more!

Cons

Business aspects are pretty limited with Teams currently. There are several key features that need to be created for this to be a complete business chat system.

Response from Wire Swiss

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad to hear that Wire's security and convenience is to your satisfaction. We are continuously adding features to improve Wire to make it a must-have business collaboration tool. We are all ears to hear what features you would like to see in the future.

Victor I.

Excellent

Reviewed on 2018/10/24

Pros

I'm delighted with this messenger - it's robust, minimalist, extremely functional and devoid of meaningless features (stickers, games and other nonsense), and recently I found that @wire offers substantial reductions for educational institutions - a special thanks for that.

Cons

None. Everything is great. It is the first messenger I can recommend and which fully satisfies my requirements. It's just as well done for both Mac and Windows

Robert V.

Wire App

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

My overall experience with the app is that you can share privately and conduct business without a hassle and the most important feature is that you can not screenshot anyone's messages.

Pros

The most that I love about this app is that is private and also great for business and speaking with family members. I literally have everyone that is in my immediate circle using wire and look forward to staying on the app as long as the quality stays the same.

Cons

There isn't anything least that I personally don't like as of now. I just hope the video quality keeps improving.

Tyrell F.

I'm Wire'd!

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Have been using Wire for both personal and business use - and it's been great from the start! Communicating with work colleagues is, not only fast, but easy to track and to send important information. And knowing that it is fully-encrypted is a huge confidence builder!

Pros

The layout and ease of use! The business/ enterprise edition has features that great for communicating with co-workers and even customers. It's like having messaging (private and public), webcasts, document sharing, and "FaceTime" all together! Oh and the best-in-class security features!

Cons

The "homepage" - needs to have an initial start page to see an overview of everything at first.

Christian R.

Ideal for companies

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

Wire is a good and secure Messenger so it is perfect for companies. The surface is easy to understand, it doesnt need that much time to start chats with your colleagues.

Pros

Easy of use, user friendly, very good encryption, good call quality

Mark M.

Great Communication App

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

We're solving communication issues by using Wire. Before we started using Wire the communication between each other was a big issue, but now that we're using this app - we have seen those problems diminish a lot.

Pros

We use this app to communicate throughout the business. Being able to create different groups and add everyone from the business has been a great help in being able to contact each other.

Cons

We really don't have anything negative to say about this app.

Sofie O.

Good for work, however, can function slow

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

This is a good, safe software. Can use on both phone and desktop. It also has an attractive design and layout.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a long time to log in on desktop, like 10-15 minutes. Also, in the past it has logged itself out.

Response from Wire Swiss

Thank you! The slow loading times have been reported by some users and our team is actively working on ways to speed this up significantly. Hopefully the experience is blazing fast on mobile!