Wire Reviews

Wire

The most secure collaboration platform.

4.7/5 (25 reviews)

Wire - secure messaging platform as well as audio/video comms is finally here!

Reviewed on 2018/09/18

As an early Wire (personal) adopter and a vocal supporter (I want to say Ambassador), I may be a bit biased. Still, I strongly believe everyone deserves a fully secure communication platform and there must be no compromise on that - Wire proves it's possible.
I have successfully converted more than a couple dozens users to Wire - and we never looked back.

Pros

First and most of all, Wire is all about security. Full E2E encryption for all the services it provides - messaging, voice, video. There are no compromises here and if security is a top priority, you don't have to look further.
As far as I know, they are already doing some post-quantum cryptography experimenting, which is really impressive.
Did I mention they are 100% Open Source? Did I say the voice quality is absolutely fantastic?

Cons

Not a lot of things I can say I don't like - basically for private usage the only issue is adoption, as the competition is very hard (not that I find any of the competitors good) and most people base the adoption on the number of people already on the platform.
For business usage, I would say that it has everything that most people would want - yeah, including gifs, but it's always hard to adopt a new tool/software for the team, especially a communication platform.

Manfred M.

Easy and secure to use communication solution for our business

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

We like Wire a lot because of the end-to-end encryption, we as a hotel deal a lot with sensitive data of clients to make them feel comfortable during the stay. In order to do this we use Wire across different platforms like on desktop in the reception and on mobile with all our staff. Wire makes it easy to communicate in a modern way via messenger by not needing to think about if the data is protected well enough.

Pros

Our main pros we like about Wire are the end-to-end encryption, the fact Wire offers apps for all platforms and gives us the opportunity to communicate across these. Audio quality is very good compared to other solutions or regular phone calls.

Cons

We noticed some bugs during our use but they also got resolved pretty fast by the team.

Bruno B.

Wire use in clinical research

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

I'm the Principal Investigator of an NIH funded research study using Wire to deliver group therapy via text and video-calls to people with a serious mental illness. So far, participants and staff have greatly enjoyed the interface, its innovative features, and the user experience in general. In particular, the group video-conferencing feature allows for smooth and high-quality group calls from mobile devices. In summary, the software has exceeded our expectations in terms of reliability and functionality.

Cons

If I were to pick one area that could be improved, it would probably be the option to easily download and securely archive existing text-based group conversations, which isn't currently available. However, it is my understanding that Wire has plans to develop this feature moving forward.

Natalie D.

Excellent Alternative to Slack

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

It has been a great product as something that is very similar to Slack without all of the weird publicity. Slack has seen some issues recently with identity and I think Wire has much more flexibility and integrity. I trust them.

Pros

I love that this software is always up to date and helps me reach my work team at all times of the day. You can set it up through an app on your phone and always be nearby for work emergencies. I also appreciate that it is an encrypted software that allows us to have conversations without fear of it being hacked in to or stolen.

Cons

I think that this software could have a wider selection of gifs and images for use in conversations. I know that seems a bit silly in a work environment but many of us express ourselves through gifs and memes.

Beautiful, Easy to use, Top notch security, Messaging as it should be

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Pros

Wire is a great example of well developed security messaging. The UI is beautiful and the security does not drag down the ease of use of the software. This is a prime example of engineers knowing how to balance usability and security.

Luka G.

Best encrypted collaboration platform

Reviewed on 2018/09/11

For a regulated crypto assets exchange data privacy is of utmost importance. Wire assures us fully encrypted communication and gives us and our clients top level security.
Luka Gubo, CEO

Pros

Ease of use, strong encryption, good call quality (audio and video)

Cons

Limited number of callers on encrypted video call

Response from Wire Swiss

Thank you, Luka! Increasing the number of participants in a video call is definitely something we plan to work on in the future.

Sharifah T.

Review from non-profit

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

Pros

The end to end encryption of the platform is great. The app is super easy to use, and adding new features is building on the capabilities for our remote team structure.

Cons

The app seems to take up a lot of space and can slow down other software when in use. We also would love a larger group video option as it currently only allows up to 4. If we can consolidate all of our comms needs into the one platform, that would be best, but we currently have to rely on other platforms for larger conversations.

Sam L.

Wire is an actually secure messenger

Reviewed on 2018/09/14

We use Wire at SiteSquad.com to chat and collaborate quickly and securely every day. It's become our go-to over email or SMS. I highly recommend it to any individual or company looking to take their communication to a higher level of security.

Pros

+Encrypted chat
+File sharing
+Screen sharing
+Multi-device support

Cons

-Somewhat steep learning curve
-Cannot screen-share with control

Response from Wire Swiss

Hi Sam, thanks for the review! Please email [email protected] if you need Pro-level support, we noticed you found the support experience lacking.

Leyniker R.

Great wire tool

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Pros

It works very well light, safe, calls that are not cut, minimalist and pleasant interface, does not need phone number and, of course, free

Cons

I would only ask for a way to backup the chats and then restore

Response from Wire Swiss

Hi Leyniker,

Thank you very much for the positive review. Regarding backups, this is very much possible!

For Desktop: https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000824805-How-can-I-backup-my-conversation-history-

For Mobile: https://support.wire.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000775549-How-can-I-backup-my-conversation-history-

More information on history backup is also available on our Blog: https://wire.com/en/blog/history-backup/

Why I love using Wire for Work

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

Pros

Wire is a great way to contact employees about a variety of tasks. It is great because it is encrypted so you can discuss work related matters in a more secure way.

Cons

Wire is pretty slow and sending photos in chats.

Roman L.

Awesome Service, very user friendly, can be a little techie at times. Needs more features.

Reviewed on 2018/03/26

Secured Chat System. Quickly and Easy communicate with business staff from anywhere!

Pros

Ease of use and security (Top Priority) ... User friendly and conveniently accessible across all platforms makes it a must have! Customer service has been top notch and completely transparent when it comes to service patches and more!

Cons

Business aspects are pretty limited with Teams currently. There are several key features that need to be created for this to be a complete business chat system.

Response from Wire Swiss

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad to hear that Wire's security and convenience is to your satisfaction. We are continuously adding features to improve Wire to make it a must-have business collaboration tool. We are all ears to hear what features you would like to see in the future.

Victor I.

Excellent

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/10/24

Pros

I'm delighted with this messenger - it's robust, minimalist, extremely functional and devoid of meaningless features (stickers, games and other nonsense), and recently I found that @wire offers substantial reductions for educational institutions - a special thanks for that.

Cons

None. Everything is great. It is the first messenger I can recommend and which fully satisfies my requirements. It's just as well done for both Mac and Windows

Tyrell F.

I'm Wire'd!

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Have been using Wire for both personal and business use - and it's been great from the start! Communicating with work colleagues is, not only fast, but easy to track and to send important information. And knowing that it is fully-encrypted is a huge confidence builder!

Pros

The layout and ease of use! The business/ enterprise edition has features that great for communicating with co-workers and even customers. It's like having messaging (private and public), webcasts, document sharing, and "FaceTime" all together! Oh and the best-in-class security features!

Cons

The "homepage" - needs to have an initial start page to see an overview of everything at first.

Christian R.

Ideal for companies

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

Wire is a good and secure Messenger so it is perfect for companies. The surface is easy to understand, it doesnt need that much time to start chats with your colleagues.

Pros

Easy of use, user friendly, very good encryption, good call quality

Mark M.

Great Communication App

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

We're solving communication issues by using Wire. Before we started using Wire the communication between each other was a big issue, but now that we're using this app - we have seen those problems diminish a lot.

Pros

We use this app to communicate throughout the business. Being able to create different groups and add everyone from the business has been a great help in being able to contact each other.

Cons

We really don't have anything negative to say about this app.

Sofie O.

Good for work, however, can function slow

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

This is a good, safe software. Can use on both phone and desktop. It also has an attractive design and layout.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a long time to log in on desktop, like 10-15 minutes. Also, in the past it has logged itself out.

Response from Wire Swiss

Thank you! The slow loading times have been reported by some users and our team is actively working on ways to speed this up significantly. Hopefully the experience is blazing fast on mobile!

Ashley M.

Improved Communication

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Overall - communicating with our company and a company we're partnered with has been great. We're able to create groups for certain people/actions which has helped streamline all communication.

Pros

The communication has improved immensely within our company. It also helps that there are read receipts so people are held accountable.

Cons

As of right now I don't have an cons to say about this software.

Even M.

Well done! Now: Go ahead!

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

Internal and external communication, screensharing for conferences, seeing our team from time to time :D

Pros

Security, customer service, look and feel, everything here we needed (almost everything, see below).

Cons

No dedicated server, no dedicated URL, screensharing not yet perfect.
We would have preferred to run on our own server (like we did with hipchat so far).

Danny I.

Loving this new mssg platfrom

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Side gigs with small tech companies, they prefer this type of platform

Pros

Love the HD video chat and the fact that is relatively new - compare to the others.

Cons

the other side of the coin of not being too popular I have to pitch it heavy to friends - sounding like I have stock in the company :)

Mika B.

Try It!!

Reviewed on 2019/06/18

Overall makes massaging easy and fast , happy to be one of the users. And it’s secure.

Pros

Using is easy, starting to use is more difficult, but you’ll learn. Even I did!!

Cons

Seems guite unflexible somehow. Needs more possibilities to tailormake by users.. Maybe later..

Jacqueline K.

Highly recommend Wire

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

It's been pretty amazing and we love our rep :)

Pros

The privacy settings and ability to manage groups.

Cons

There could be more features added that are similar to slack in regards to organization and functions to make it a bit more convinient.

As secure communication tool can get, it far exceeds expectations. Fantastic product with a great UI

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

Pros

End to end encryption is a fantastic feature, a must for any communication software. UI looks pretty sharp as well.

Cons

Loading times to log on can be a bit of a pain. Other than that nothing wrong to point out so far at this point

Response from Wire Swiss

We are glad to hear that Wire has exceeded your expectations!

Regarding long loading times we have recently released an update for desktop which sped up loading times, as well as sending and receiving message, significantly. We hope that you too will see an improvement.

In case you have any additional questions or comments, our support team is always happy to help.

Othmar W.

good - evolve

Reviewed on 2019/06/18

Apart from the question of history, I'm really happy.
The support is not accessible enough for me. Sometimes I would be glad to receive a tip over the phone. If I do not understand the written instructions on the website correctly, I also do not understand the same wording by mail.

Pros

The security, the possibilities, the team possibilities.

Cons

The missing history. When new group members are added, they can not see the history so far. If someone logs on to a new device later, they do not have the entire chat history. This is a big disadvantage for communication in a training group.

Linos S.

Slick looks, powerful under the hood

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/13

Pros

Wire surely has the best design and usability on mobile devices, and an interesting desktop GUI. Offers maximum security as well. They also went full open-source, server-side, recently.

Cons

Some past security controversies might have lead people away. I understand this, and why Wire does not have the big community of other messaging apps.

Yasseen T.

A good idea that needs further development

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/02/22

Pros

The idea of secure communication between users.

Cons

The implementation of the idea is good, but while trying to use the application I found it very hard to reach and communicate with others. On top of that, when I call someone, unless they open the application they won't know that I'm calling. So I should notify them before calling on another application, deeming the application useless.

4.0/10