Clearstream Reviews

Clearstream

Online text messaging software for businesses & non-profits

4.8/5 (85 reviews)
Jon K.

Great software, however I would like to see some additional features.

Reviewed on 2019/06/26

The automation that Clearstream has allowed for texting and integration into PCO has been great. We have cut a ton of manual data entry from our process. Also the linking of PCO lists for texting groups has made centralization of our database so much easier.

Pros

Very simple, clean interface. Easy to integrate lists from PCO. Easy and concise keyword workflow. Being able to track opt-ins vs interactions with a link is great.

Cons

The administrative functions are lacking, it would be nice to have multiple admins that would have access to all subaccounts created, instead of creating a user and inviting the new user to each subaccount, then having to add that user to a subaccount as they are added. The owner account is great, but the ability to only have one makes distributed administration and security difficult. Also being able to see a general log of what is happening would be nice. IE which administrator added/deleted someone, who created subaccounts, etc.

It would be really nice to be able to see which user under a department created and sent a message. All that I know now is that someone inside the department created a message. I can then see who if someone follows up in the inbox thread, but there is no record of who started the text.

It would be nice to be able to see who has opted out from a subscriber list, even if they cant be re-added. Currently we have to compare a PCO list to the subscriber list to see who is missing.

Finally it would be AMAZING to have texting integration inside PCO. I imagine this is probably more of an issue with PCO than with you, but to have the texting integrated the same way that PCO has email integrated would be priceless.

Alan H.

Great Software, even better Team

Reviewed on 2019/07/09

Definitely helps with communicating to the congregation on a more personal level.

Pros

Love the simplicity of the software and real-time updates. The deliverability guarantee with long-codes is a big win.

Cons

I think the one con is you can't have scheduled integration/list updates. I'd love for a List to automatically refresh before a scheduled automated text is scheduled to go out.

Andy S.

Clearstream has provided NewSpring with effective mass texting functionality at a reasonable price

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

Clearstream helps our Church communicate with volunteers, group leaders, and people that are looking to get more involved at NewSpring. The keyword functionality paired with mass and individual messaging has been very helpful.

Pros

The ability for an entire team to utilize it from a central hub. Keyword functionality mixed with the ability to text individuals and groups is excellent. The pricing for this service is more reasonable than the mass texting service we were previously using. The integration with Planning Center is helpful as PCO is our database system. Overall, this has been a very effective tool for our church, and we are looking forward to seeing how the continued updates to the software will make communication and organization that much better.

Cons

The software has many pros for our organization. A few areas where we have struggled are that the inbox does not tie the response to the original message. Also, with multiple users on the same account, we would like to be able to filter messages and responses by who from our team sent them. A greater ability to filter or tag messages and responses would help us organize things more effectively. Lastly, when sending a message, you have the ability to shorten a URL, however, that feature is not available when responding to a text from the inbox. These are features that we hope are in the works

Trip O.

Great Product... looking forward to improvements

Reviewed on 2019/09/16

Customer service has always been great. I always feel very supported every time I reach out. The service is reliable.

Pros

- Planning Center integration
- Schedule messages
- Phone app
- Personal replies to mass texts in inbox
- Shorten URLs

Cons

- Lack of placeholder text in message creation "Hello <<name>>!" = "Hello Trip!"
- Easier way to auto refresh Planning Center list with out going through the Account Settings Page... I would love a button that is easy to get to that will refresh the lists

Ilona T.

Excellent Option for Churches

Reviewed on 2019/10/08

We wanted to explore an additional communication strategy for our church as well as provide a simpler way to run live text-in Q&A events. For the former, Clearstream has been an intuitive and helpful tool for promoting various events and easily getting new people connected with helpful information. For the latter, Clearstream has fully replaced our previous method of using Twilio to facilitate our Q&A sessions.

Pros

Love the easy integrations with our other management and communications software (in particular Planning Center and Slack), the ability to schedule texts (and even a series of texts) in advance, and simplicity/flexibility of creating new workflows for keywords via a short code for different purposes/events. We've also found it helpful to create subaccounts and use different long codes for different purposes, which has allowed us to differentiate the program to meet our needs.

Cons

The inbox can become hard to organize/manage when you get a flurry of incoming responses. Would also appreciate the ability to simply select existing subscribers from within Clearstream to make a List, rather than needing to import/sync a list.

Steve C.

First impressions

Reviewed on 2018/10/31

Great customer service. The overall software seems very stable. I like where u guys are going with this.

Pros

Integration with planning center. The ability to keep typing a message and u break it up vs having to get cut off after message one. Seems to work well from the recipients end. Everyone seems to get it quickly.

Cons

The app. Everyone moves to texting because it is easier. So most messages being sent are done on the go with our phone. It is crazy to me that I cannot see group responses from the app. 100% of my work is done from the app. Now I have to go find a computer and log in to see who replied to my text. In a church where multiple messages are going out asking for a response, there is no way to sift through who is answering me vs who is answering a separate message from the app. I now have learned how to see it from the computer, which is helpful. But that should be the very first feature on the app. 3 things is all I need for the app which should be at the core:. 1. Opt people in to specific lists easily, 2. Send a message, 3. See group responses.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding our iOS/Android app, as you probably already know, you can view/respond to all incoming messages from within the app. That said, we'll be launching a few updates to the app over the new couple months, specifically for Inbox functionality. Being able to filter by the actual message your team sent is one functionality we'll likely include.

Thanks again for the feedback!

7.0/10
Jeff R.

Does exactly what I need it to do in a simple, very fast way.

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

Instant communication and increased sales.

Pros

Running a coffee truck I need to bypass HR and speak straight to potential buyers in office buildings and areas we visit. Social media is great but has very little organic reach, so, I set up customized keywords for places I visit often, letting my customers opt into places they want to be notified about and it's as simple as sending a text straight to their cell phone. Clearstream is fast, robust, and I do everything from my cell phone with their mobile app. Their support is almost instant so if I ever hit any roadblocks it's immediately taken care of. Seriously consider them for mass communication needs, I think you'll be very happy.

Natalie N.

Great product, quick and accessible support!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/09/11

Pros

It's easy to use, support is easy to find and the team is quick to respond. We feel like our business is valued. Even though it's not always convenient, we deeply respect the guardrails on best practices and the highly ethical position Clearstream has on mass texting.

Cons

Some numbers (not many) won't import from Planning Center. I suspect it's a mobile carrier issue. It would be nice to know more about what the problem is with a certain number. I'm not sure diagnostics like that are even possible, but it would be cool. The mobile app is good, but wish it could do a little more.

Emilio C.

Great product and customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/08/21

Overall I am pleased with the product and will continue to use it. I would recommend this to others as well. The keywords, analytics, and other tools available are just so helpful.

Pros

The user friendly software both on pc and mobile platforms. Also the customer service is unmatched!! Every question or issue that would come up was either answered immediately or Jimmy and His team did everything they could in a timely manner.

Cons

The cost of sending images. I was using text mojo before and it was a cost of 2 credits per image and clearstream is 3 credits per message. Now its just one more but when i am sending to almost 100 people per week it can really cut into the credits. Also I understand there is no option to role over credits but it would be incredibly helpful especially for a youth group on a youth group budget. One month might be very slow and uneventful but now with school, Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, and new year's the credits i didn't use during the summer could have really come in handy.

Danielle S.

Clearstream was the answer!

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/10/09

We have not had any issues with them. Really enjoy working with them. They were able to build us a custom plan that works with exactly what we need!

Pros

We love the fact that it directly integrates with our people data software so we're not having to double enter information. Our congregants have utilized it significantly as it's easier to send a text than to search on a website for something.

Cons

They have an app, but you can't access everything through the app such as keywords. To access those, you can login from your mobile browser, but there isn't a "login" button on the home page of the mobile webpage, so you have to select sign up first, then click on login. Not a big deal, but can cause a little confusion.

Benjamin B.

Excellent way to increase engagement and freedom for church members

Reviewed on 2019/06/12

Clearstream has really addressed a lot of our issues with prior texting services that had limited features. We really feel like we're using a professional level software that helps us better and more effectively communicate. The support team is also super helpful and responsive. Thanks clearstream team for making such and awesome product!!!

Pros

- Opt-in and opt-out
- Using keywords really opens up so many doors
- Integration with planning center
- Import features
- Professional nature that really helps us to communicate effectively with our people

Cons

- some of the account menu functionalities are a little confusing
- wish we had more keywords for the price lol, those things are awesome
- the interface style could use maybe a little updating? removing gradients and boxed layout (make it fullwidth and fully responsive). Really not bad! Just a couple thoughts

Cari R.

Impeccable.... nothing like it!

Reviewed on 2019/06/06

It is our main communication tool between the church office and our congregation :)

Pros

Very easy to set up and understand! Their customer service is impeccable and should be modeled by other companies. Extremely prompt when asking a question and will send video responses on how to accomplish what you need to.

Cons

I have not found anything yet that is a TRUE Con.... I do wish we had more keywords to the basic account but that is a wish not a con.

Lisa G.

Have uses Clearstream for years; extremely useful

Reviewed on 2017/10/09

Pros

Very user friendly, serves multiple purposes, easy for our congregation to submit texts and respond.

Mark C.

Powerful features and lightning quick customer service

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

Aside from the software, Clearstream has amazing amazingly fast customer service. I never ever worry about not getting in touch with someone. I go to their live chat and someone is on with me in like 1 minute or less.

Pros

They don't charge you for incoming text messages. I could literally stop there! Hahaha! They also allow for sub-accounts to keep things organized and they don't massively overcharge on keywords. The user interface is clean, sleek, and easy to use. I love that they have a phone right there to visually display your message. I also love love love that they are a monthly charge and that they allow you to build fully customized accounts to fit your exact needs WHEN you need it.

Cons

Honestly, I've not found anything I don't like so far.

John H.

Ecstatic New User

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Overall Clearstream is a great application for the money. If you use planning center to organize volunteers, group gatherings and events, you need Clearstream. Planning Center doesn't have it's own texting platform, and doesn't look to get into that arena. Clearstream is a quick, simple add on with amazing benefits.

Pros

seamless integration with with Planning Center account. User friendly experience. Free Keyword. Easy to use dashboard. Incredible customer support.

Cons

So, far I don't have any cons. I've only been using Clearstream for 1 month. Everything has gone great and I'm looking forward to finding new applications for the service.

Ryan H.

Increasing our reach through text messaging

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

For a while, our church has struggled with an effective communication strategy that includes text messaging. Clearstream has solved that problem for us. We have been able to automate much of our workflows and increase our overall engagement rate by incorporating text messaging into our on-boarding process for newcomers.

Pros

Clearstream is simple to use, their customer service has been fantastic, and for our church, the way Clearstream integrates with Planning Center Online has been a game-changer.

Cons

Some of the pricing tiers don't line up exactly with our needs. For example, in order to get more keywords or subaccounts, we also have to pay for more text messages, which we don't necessarily need. It would be nice to be able to have a bit more selection over which features we pay for.

Ashley H.

How did we do things without Clearstream?!?

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

We have used this for broad, immediate communication such as event reminders and this week to notify everyone that we were closed (due to the polar vortex that hit Chicago).

Pros

The four things I've appreciated most are 1) ease of use, 2) excellent mobile app, 3) Planning Center integration, and 4) the incredible customer service!

Cons

That we didn't know about it sooner! My only issue so far has been from an administration and integration perspective with Planning Center - there are some limitations we've found that we're having to work around with multiple users. Would also like to see people who opted out for a specific message (rather than all messages, makes it harder to see new opt outs).

Response from Clearstream

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your review! Concerning being able to view who opted out of each specific message, this is actually being included in a major update that we'll be releasing in a few months. :)

Also, we updated part of our PCO integration last month, letting you always see the user who has enabled the integration. Go to Account Settings > Integrations > PCO to check yours.

Let us know if you have any other feedback/questions.

Dean D.

Just Downloaded the App

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Pros

I like being able to reply directly to texts when I want to.

Cons

Brand new user of the app. Looking forward to maximizing it's usage.

Becky L.

Easy & Convenient!

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

I love the ease of use! Clearstream is very user-friendly and the best way to effectively message a large group of people. I also love that you're able to customize the header of a message, and have the option of sending a longer message as well - even if it takes an additional credit to do so. Also, the ability to receive messages in return is a huge benefit! Finally, I love that I have the ability to search within different groups of subscribers. Clearstream does it all!

Cons

When there a multiple messages in the inbox, it's hard to decipher which subscriber list they're a part of and who they're replying to.

Brennan W.

Been very easy to learn and use

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

We use it's integration with planning center online--it is relatively easy to use and pull up unique lists of recipients.

Cons

Reply notifications go to every user in the system, rather than just to the original sender. Could also really use an Android app for some push notifications!

Response from Clearstream

Hi Brennan, thanks for your feedback. Addressing some of your comments: we're currently developing some new functionalities for the Inbox, including only getting incoming message notifications for the groups (Lists) you manage.

Also, we're just a couple weeks away from launching our Android app (finally!).

Thanks again for the input.

Jennifer G.

Amazing addition to our church!

Reviewed on 2019/06/14

Clearstream has been an amazing addition to our communications platform here at our church. We've been using it to send event reminders, prayer chain requests, & more. It's so easy to keep everyone updated. Our congregation has had nothing but great things to say about it!

Pros

The software is very easy to use! It didn't take us long to figure out how to use it.

Cons

So far we haven't encountered anything that we don't like. Everything has been great.

Galeon A.

Mass communication made easy!

Reviewed on 2019/06/20

Staff is so helpful! Every time I txt in, they get right on it. They have even made time for phone calls and video conferencing to help set up and implement!

Pros

The ease of use, the engagement from the communication, the customer service.

Cons

Subaccount list not synced, but working around it is fine.

Brennan W.

Simple, good integrations

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Pros

We use this software because it integrates with our church management software, Planning Center Online. It is proficiently easy to use with our database, especially with communication to recurring lists of people.

Cons

Cost is high, but not necessarily higher than similar companies. Some aspects of the integration could be simplified from a user experience.

7.0/10
Paul B.

Easy to use & the service is A++

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Been super easy and fast to respond to our moments of HELLLLPP lol Thank You!

Pros

Integrations from church center. Easy to set up key words.

Cons

Wish we could enter a phone number to text without adding to church center people first. Would like to just enter the number and send the text. No list.

Tony S.

Clearly the Best!

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/10/07

It has provided a valuable mass communication tool that truly helps get the message out.

Pros

Clearstream is a great communication tool. It is very easy to use and the integrations with other programs is seamless. Best texting application we have worked with thus far!

Cons

Would like the option of sending graphics or image banners (logos, created event art etc.)