Clearstream Reviews

Clearstream

Online text messaging software for businesses & non-profits

4.8/5 (64 reviews)
Andy S.

Clearstream has provided NewSpring with effective mass texting functionality at a reasonable price

Reviewed on 2018/03/29

Clearstream helps our Church communicate with volunteers, group leaders, and people that are looking to get more involved at NewSpring. The keyword functionality paired with mass and individual messaging has been very helpful.

Pros

The ability for an entire team to utilize it from a central hub. Keyword functionality mixed with the ability to text individuals and groups is excellent. The pricing for this service is more reasonable than the mass texting service we were previously using. The integration with Planning Center is helpful as PCO is our database system. Overall, this has been a very effective tool for our church, and we are looking forward to seeing how the continued updates to the software will make communication and organization that much better.

Cons

The software has many pros for our organization. A few areas where we have struggled are that the inbox does not tie the response to the original message. Also, with multiple users on the same account, we would like to be able to filter messages and responses by who from our team sent them. A greater ability to filter or tag messages and responses would help us organize things more effectively. Lastly, when sending a message, you have the ability to shorten a URL, however, that feature is not available when responding to a text from the inbox. These are features that we hope are in the works

Steve C.

First impressions

Reviewed on 2018/10/31

Great customer service. The overall software seems very stable. I like where u guys are going with this.

Pros

Integration with planning center. The ability to keep typing a message and u break it up vs having to get cut off after message one. Seems to work well from the recipients end. Everyone seems to get it quickly.

Cons

The app. Everyone moves to texting because it is easier. So most messages being sent are done on the go with our phone. It is crazy to me that I cannot see group responses from the app. 100% of my work is done from the app. Now I have to go find a computer and log in to see who replied to my text. In a church where multiple messages are going out asking for a response, there is no way to sift through who is answering me vs who is answering a separate message from the app. I now have learned how to see it from the computer, which is helpful. But that should be the very first feature on the app. 3 things is all I need for the app which should be at the core:. 1. Opt people in to specific lists easily, 2. Send a message, 3. See group responses.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding our iOS/Android app, as you probably already know, you can view/respond to all incoming messages from within the app. That said, we'll be launching a few updates to the app over the new couple months, specifically for Inbox functionality. Being able to filter by the actual message your team sent is one functionality we'll likely include.

Thanks again for the feedback!

7.0/10
Jeff R.

Does exactly what I need it to do in a simple, very fast way.

Reviewed on 2017/10/12

Instant communication and increased sales.

Pros

Running a coffee truck I need to bypass HR and speak straight to potential buyers in office buildings and areas we visit. Social media is great but has very little organic reach, so, I set up customized keywords for places I visit often, letting my customers opt into places they want to be notified about and it's as simple as sending a text straight to their cell phone. Clearstream is fast, robust, and I do everything from my cell phone with their mobile app. Their support is almost instant so if I ever hit any roadblocks it's immediately taken care of. Seriously consider them for mass communication needs, I think you'll be very happy.

Benjamin B.

Excellent way to increase engagement and freedom for church members

Reviewed on 2019/06/12

Clearstream has really addressed a lot of our issues with prior texting services that had limited features. We really feel like we're using a professional level software that helps us better and more effectively communicate. The support team is also super helpful and responsive. Thanks clearstream team for making such and awesome product!!!

Pros

- Opt-in and opt-out
- Using keywords really opens up so many doors
- Integration with planning center
- Import features
- Professional nature that really helps us to communicate effectively with our people

Cons

- some of the account menu functionalities are a little confusing
- wish we had more keywords for the price lol, those things are awesome
- the interface style could use maybe a little updating? removing gradients and boxed layout (make it fullwidth and fully responsive). Really not bad! Just a couple thoughts

Lisa G.

Have uses Clearstream for years; extremely useful

Reviewed on 2017/10/09

Pros

Very user friendly, serves multiple purposes, easy for our congregation to submit texts and respond.

Mark C.

Powerful features and lightning quick customer service

Reviewed on 2019/05/23

Aside from the software, Clearstream has amazing amazingly fast customer service. I never ever worry about not getting in touch with someone. I go to their live chat and someone is on with me in like 1 minute or less.

Pros

They don't charge you for incoming text messages. I could literally stop there! Hahaha! They also allow for sub-accounts to keep things organized and they don't massively overcharge on keywords. The user interface is clean, sleek, and easy to use. I love that they have a phone right there to visually display your message. I also love love love that they are a monthly charge and that they allow you to build fully customized accounts to fit your exact needs WHEN you need it.

Cons

Honestly, I've not found anything I don't like so far.

Dan G.

Great texting solution

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

Clearstream is a great solution for text-back communication and sending an ongoing message to any group who signs up.

Pros

The software was pretty simple to setup and get going. We are using it to text back to our whole church and it was fairly automated to get messages to everyone immediately and then to schedule some follow ups.

Cons

The design could use some work. More specifically, the UX wasn’t the best and some of the features weren’t clear until I tested them out. For example, if I schedule a message to go to a group tomorrow, and then someone signs up to join that group today, will they get the scheduled text tomorrow, or will it only go to the people who were in the group when I scheduled the message?

Ashley H.

How did we do things without Clearstream?!?

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

We have used this for broad, immediate communication such as event reminders and this week to notify everyone that we were closed (due to the polar vortex that hit Chicago).

Pros

The four things I've appreciated most are 1) ease of use, 2) excellent mobile app, 3) Planning Center integration, and 4) the incredible customer service!

Cons

That we didn't know about it sooner! My only issue so far has been from an administration and integration perspective with Planning Center - there are some limitations we've found that we're having to work around with multiple users. Would also like to see people who opted out for a specific message (rather than all messages, makes it harder to see new opt outs).

Response from Clearstream

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your review! Concerning being able to view who opted out of each specific message, this is actually being included in a major update that we'll be releasing in a few months. :)

Also, we updated part of our PCO integration last month, letting you always see the user who has enabled the integration. Go to Account Settings > Integrations > PCO to check yours.

Let us know if you have any other feedback/questions.

Dean D.

Just Downloaded the App

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Pros

I like being able to reply directly to texts when I want to.

Cons

Brand new user of the app. Looking forward to maximizing it's usage.

Brennan W.

Been very easy to learn and use

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

We use it's integration with planning center online--it is relatively easy to use and pull up unique lists of recipients.

Cons

Reply notifications go to every user in the system, rather than just to the original sender. Could also really use an Android app for some push notifications!

Response from Clearstream

Hi Brennan, thanks for your feedback. Addressing some of your comments: we're currently developing some new functionalities for the Inbox, including only getting incoming message notifications for the groups (Lists) you manage.

Also, we're just a couple weeks away from launching our Android app (finally!).

Thanks again for the input.

Brennan W.

Simple, good integrations

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Pros

We use this software because it integrates with our church management software, Planning Center Online. It is proficiently easy to use with our database, especially with communication to recurring lists of people.

Cons

Cost is high, but not necessarily higher than similar companies. Some aspects of the integration could be simplified from a user experience.

7.0/10
Adam S.

Super easy to use and has great reporting.

Reviewed on 2017/05/18

Pros

The ease of use of the software. It works very well and it is very easy for myself and all of my team members to use. I highly recommend this product

John N.

Great for mass communication

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

We use Clearstream daily and weekly. Clearstream allows us to communicate to mass groups and smaller groups

Pros

Clearstream makes mass texting and group texting simple and effective. The ease of use is great.

Cons

The cost is rather significant per text. If you use the platform on a weekly basis the cost is significant.

Mark G.

Review of clearstream vs. other planning center text options

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/01/23

They were pleasant and helpful.

Pros

This text option allows us to pay as we want to text thus keeping our costs low. We didn't want a monthly option as we will primarily use system to notify church members of church cancellations. Paying for it each month is a waste of money. That's the primary reason why we went with clearstream and not text-in-church.
The service works well and we used it just recently for a New England snow storm.

Cons

There are some features that are not as intuitive to find. But fortunately their help (chat or email) is great, the people are very responsive. For example, I couldn't find how to determine who 'stop' their txt messages. I could see the number of people but how do I find out who those people are. They have a solution it just wasn't intuitive. You have to export the list, but it would be much easier if they number of stopped people was highlighted as a link then bam, click the link and get the info.

Also, when trying to resynch data between planning center and clearstream. Again, their support helped me but it's just not intuitive on where to find the answer. Once you know, you know.

Josh S.

Great tool to engage our church members. Powerful features. Crazy value for the price.

Reviewed on 2017/05/18

Pros

I love how easy it is to set up and send messages through the desktop or the app. Also, their customer service is very responsive.

Jennifer G.

Amazing addition to our church!

Reviewed on 2019/06/14

Clearstream has been an amazing addition to our communications platform here at our church. We've been using it to send event reminders, prayer chain requests, & more. It's so easy to keep everyone updated. Our congregation has had nothing but great things to say about it!

Pros

The software is very easy to use! It didn't take us long to figure out how to use it.

Cons

So far we haven't encountered anything that we don't like. Everything has been great.

Peter G.

Clearstream has helped us communicate better with our church in far simpler ways.

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

I love the simplicity and ease of use. Everything feels intuitive, there is no need to dig deeply into an instruction manual. Just get out and do what you came to do... communicate with your people.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Peter, thanks for the input.

"there is no need to dig deeply into an instruction manual" is one of the best reviews we could ask for. Though we do offer extensive tutorials, our goal is for you to never have to reference them.

Rachel W.

Love being able to communicate with our people!

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Pros

I love that we can use PCO People to have different lists of people to communicate with!

Cons

I am not a fan at all that every admin gets all of the responses, regardless of if they sent the message or not.

Steve B.

New to ClearStream

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

Understanding how often our guest come to church.

Pros

The customer service is pretty instantaneous. It's easy to add subscribers. The workflows are very easy.

Cons

No integration with the ROCK.
The tablet is funky. On the browser format you click on the magenta button to login. You should make that the same on the tablet. It's confusing how to get to the login screen

Gregory D.

A Solid Set-up that Integrates with Planning Center Online

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/02/22

It allows us to communicate quickly and effectively with our congregation in a manner that they are likely to see right away.

Pros

I love that it integrates with Planning Center Online and that the system is easy to use. The inbox is helpful for catching people that respond to our messages.

Cons

I don't like that you can't see who unsubscribes or what numbers bounce. This would be helpful information for us to strengthen our communication strategies.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Gregory! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. Very helpful.

To address your issue with viewing opt-outs, you can do so by going to Subscribers > Export > select "Opted-out". This will give you an Excel file of all opt-outs/unsubscribes.

Let us know if you have any questions on it ([email protected]). We're here to help.

Thanks!

Kellie Q.

theChapel Clearstream Account

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Pros

I like the ability to organize our lists into groups. Also, when we're wanting to add contacts, it is a quick process for those contacts to be approved.

Cons

The support chat has taken hours for a response when the response time says a few minutes. I also wish we were able to run reports of contacts who texted certain keywords.

Daniel R.

Great system and easy to use. This is the best texting service I have used for our church

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

I switched to Clearstream because it integrated with planning center which made my life a lot easier. The price is also the best I have seen for the amount of messages I can send out per month. I also enjoy the fact that I have more characters per message and don't have to keep rewording things to get under the limit. I have enjoyed it.

Cons

The mobile app needs a little work I think. I am not able to select individual people to send a message to like I am on the online version. Other than that, I can't complain.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Daniel, thanks for the review. And helpful input with the app. Being able to send messages to individual subscribers like you can with the desktop version would be a good improvement. Noted.

Zac C.

Clearstream was the texting service that I had been looking for.

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

It's an easy-to-use product. Great website and accompanying app. Any time I've had a question, I've received a quick, detailed response. It's integrations for PCO have been extremely helpful as well.

Cons

It's a little more expensive than other options, but you get what you pay for. Other than that, there's not much to fault.

Michael S.

Very easy to use! Integration with Planning Center is what sold me!

Reviewed on 2018/02/22

Pros

I like how it integrates with Planning Center. It makes keeping up with church members and students very easy.

Cons

Not being able to take individual people off of lists. When sending texts and reminders to students, it is difficult if you need to take one student off the list for various reasons.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Michael, thanks for the input! To address your issue: you can remove someone from a List by going to the List and selecting the person, then clicking "Delete" in the dropdown. But we could do a better job of making this more clear.

And as you know, if someone replies with any opt-out keyword (Stop, Cancel, Quit, End, Remove, etc) they are automatically unsubscribed as well.

Let us know if you have any other feedback. We're here to help!

Paula G.

Awesome collaboration with Planning Center!

Reviewed on 2017/11/13

Pros

I can use lists I have already created with information I have already collected! Before we had 12 people responsible for sending out 15+ messages a week. Now with a few clicks we can do it much faster with more time to connect. We are praying this increases our communication.

Cons

I've had to do a lot of trial and error. When someone opts out of my list I have to re-import the full list from Planning Center into Clearstream.

Response from Clearstream

Hi Paula, thanks for the feedback!

Our Planning Center integration automatically syncs every day. If someone opts-out, they of course won't be including in the sync going forward until they opt back in.

Let us know if you have any other feedback or questions. :)