Katana

Smart and Visual Manufacturing & Inventory Software for SMBs

Lisa C.

Met our needs at beginning, as needs grew Katana team listened and added features

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

We maintain about 1500-2000 SKUS and all assemblers work at home. Some do different steps, returning work weekly and then having it distributed to the next person. Giving every MO an actual number has kept every bag of parts and supplies organized. We can track who has it, where it's at in the manufacturing process, etc. Even though we have used Katana since January, it's the last 3 months that it's really proven it's value to us.

We do not use it for order fulfillment, just in-house manufacturing. But it's allowed us to prep for holiday season from July forward and stay completely organized and efficient. No more "where-did-it-go" or "how-many-have-we-prepped" frantic moments. We began the year knowing we needed a software that "fit" our company's size and our needs. Katana has proven invaluable for our company this year. We are currently doing our first complete inventory and we hope to add these numbers to Katana in 2020 and continue to improve our efficiency.

Pros

The ability to use Resources as a way to assign a specific person to each task so I can see who is working on what step of the manufacturing process and the allotted time they are provided for the task. This year we went from contract labor/paid-per-piece to employees/hourly-wage and Katana has made this a much smoother transition then it could have been. Having both "cost-per-piece" for assembly of items as well as "cost-per-minute" has given us the ability to compare former payment procedures with what to expect per hour from employees.

Cons

There are a variety of tasks that were unable to be done when we began using Katana in January 2019 but I am thrilled to say that most of them have been developed. The developers listen and are very attentive to requests, bug reports, and ideas and so despite the fact that some of the features were not available (exporting reports, importing recipes, bulk print MOs/pick lists, etc.) they have added these and the software continues to grow. The next feature I'd love to see is the ability to have a product photo attached to each product that prints out an image with the MO.

Also, we have some items "on hold" (not sent to distribution center yet) and we use Resources to specify ONHOLD-BIN221 etc. to know the status of any particular SKU completed. We'd prefer not to use different locations, but rather have the ability to add a couple more "status" options. Either a misc or a custom. For now, everything on hold gets marked BLOCKED status and then the Resource is used to say it's on hold in whatever bin.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for very thorough feedback! Love to have you growing with us!

Chris P.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Most affordable MRP system for small manufacturers

Reviewed on 2019/09/09

Katana has been extremely responsive with receiving feedback on the product and working in product improvements based on that feedback. There have already been multiple issues I had with the product early on that they have reacted to feedback on and implemented changes. Great customer service.

Pros

I love the value. We were stuck using excel to manage our inventory for a long time because there were no affordable options until Katana came along. I am able to maintain accurate stock levels much more easily now.

Cons

There are a few minor inconveniences that are small time wasters. One example is not being able to shift/ctrl click multiple items and drag them around as a group when reorganizing priority rank of manufacturing orders. Since we have multilevel subassemblies I spend more time dragging around manufacturing orders to organize the order I want them completed in and I could save some time if I could drag items around as a group.

Response from Katana MRP

Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

Callee A.
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great for small but growing handmade biz!

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

Pros

Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third party integrations, so we knew we’d have to manually input orders and Katana serves that purpose as our centralized dashboard to see what needs to go out, when, from which platform, if we have it in stock, when we can make it, etc. In two weeks, we’ve already seen an increase in production efficiency and decrease in wholesale turnaround times now that EVERYTHING is being tracked in one place. Highly recommend Katana if you’re a maker, it’s never too early to implement automated systems in your biz!

Cons

Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

Response from Katana MRP

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

Cecilia V.

Katana Make Production Visible

Reviewed on 2020/05/15

It has been a very positive experience, putting joy in my work.

Pros

I love this software because of the ease of use and the workflow methodology. The drill down ability for stock and manufactured items are great. We have managed to get a lot more information on staff productivity through exporting complete manufacture orders data and reporting. I also love it that support is real and that I now know some of the team personally. They answer queries fast and efficiently.

Cons

All the current issues I have are in development.
For example:
1. Adding landing costs to purchase order items
2. Multi Currency
3. Back Order information

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Justin B.
  • Industry: Automotive

Easy to use and helpful

Reviewed on 2021/03/22

Pros

It takes some time to set up and deploy, but once it's running, its super helpful! Its very easy to generate POs, update stock levels, and track sales and make orders. All the function without the bloated junk that expensive and advanced MRP systems have.

Cons

I wish there was a way to have a negative stock variant (a single product that represents a product subtraction rather than having to make a full copy of a product recipe minus that one single item).
I wish there was a way to group materials without having to create a separate product for them. Each product will generate a separate make order, but sometimes Its not actually something that can be made individually, it just represents all the parts that make up an assembly. There is currently no way to make a group of materials that does not become its own product that the system thinks needs to be made as its own inventory item.

Erik J.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

MKUltra Corporation

Reviewed on 2020/05/27

Invaluable to the maker+vendor. No more guessing, no more surprises when material stock runs out or inventory levels are low - Katana is the second set of eyes I didn't know I needed. Worth every minute of setup, this app has not only saved my business money and time - it has saved my business, period.

Pros

Integrates flawlessly with my Shopify store and makes managing materials and stock levels incredibly easy once everything is setup. The ability to prioritize jobs based on different criteria and rearrange them on the fly if necessary is critical for my business and Katana handles this with ease.

Cons

Setup was a chore BUT that is really more of a good thing, because there is a LOT of data that people might not take into account when initially considering software like this. If you want to use it properly, each and every little detail needs to be accounted for and when you have hundreds of SKUs like me, it can seem like a mountain. Climb it, you'll be glad you did.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your feedback!

Zach D.

Great Value for Small Manufacturing Businesses

Reviewed on 2020/01/21

The overall experience has been a positive one. It does well what is promised, and the support team is helpful while also listening to feedback for future improvements.

Pros

The price makes Katana most attractive. It is also intuitive to set up and use. Katana also provided helpful onboarding assistance.

Cons

The software is a bit limited with respect to features for or customization of PO's.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for reviewing Katana!

Ike P.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Katana is great for inventory and stock adjustments!

Reviewed on 2020/12/20

Overall the pros definitely out weigh the cons (at least for our business) so we're very pleased.

Pros

I really like that I'm able to save my product's SOPs and can easily find them when I need to make more! It is very handy to have that feature. I also enjoy that after I have made the product, I can add the inventory through a stock adjustment. It's a very simple process that is not convoluted. Big fan!

Cons

The only thing that I don't love is when I am doing a stock adjustment I have to do the math on each item to get it to the correct total. For example: If I start the week with 35 of a specific item and throughout the week, say, 17 get purchased, when I do inventory and account for that, I have to use the calculator to figure out 35 -17 = correct total. And I have to do that math for each individual item.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your kind words!

Inês N.

Transformational for our business!!!

Reviewed on 2021/03/28

It has been transformational for our business and looking forward to keep growing powered by Katana!

Pros

Simple to use, comprehensive functionalities and above all highly flexible to fit our DTC and made to order workflow.

Cons

Inventory reporting can be improved with standard analytics

Joel S.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Very easy to use and ideal for production and sales

Reviewed on 2020/05/25

great to remove manual tracking of sales order / SKU

Pros

Great integration with Shopify and Xero
Ability to track everything in one place from sales to invoices to production.
Work easily with creating customers and invoices through to xero.

Cons

No batch tracking (yet)
A little complicated to set up when you have multiple price points for the same SKU and need to input the product card to reflect this as discounts of one set price isnt ideal to flow into xero

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Todd D.
  • Industry: Machinery

Machine Shop Inventory COntrol

Reviewed on 2020/05/15

Pros

I own a small, specialized machine shop and previously we have not had any inventory control or planning systems. When a customer called for a part, we went to the inventory and look at how many we had, if it was short we quickly ordered material and rushed there manufacturing to meet the order. Katana has given us visibility into our inventory supply as well as provided invaluable insight into our planning and work scheduling. Additionally it has helped identify areas for improvement in our workflow. Katana is an excellent app for managing inventory and processes.

Cons

We would like to be able to set stock up to quantities so that once the minimum stock is reached the software advises how many to make/purchase.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Kristjan V.

Easy to use manufacturing software

Reviewed on 2020/05/18

Pros

Once you understand the structure of the software and the solutions it offers, it gives you simple, but useful overview of your production process. It is easy to use as a team as well.

Cons

Since the software is made for a very wide range of products manufacturing, there were not as many options we would specifically needed for our prefab timber house production process, but after a period of time, there has been many updates and additional options added to the software.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Danny N.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

Katana helped me to move my team from using Excel-based planning to a web-based platform. It is easy to use and was easily adopted by my team. Team Katana has been helpful in proving some work-around for some features not available in Katana.

Pros

Katana is an easy to use platform that suits most of my needs for planning and scheduling.

Cons

Allow partial delivery for a Sales Order

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review and we will work on developing the software in the suggested direction!

Austin C.

Simple, Straightforward Manufacturing Integration

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

Pros

Fast, powerful, easy to learn, with a clean and consistent connection to QuickBooks Online. Great user interface and robust support materials.

Cons

It can be a bit pricey, starting at about $100 for the first user, but it’s been worth it. I’d like to see native, integrated barcoding support.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback! We're working to develop the software in the suggested way.

Irah V.
  • Industry: Food Production

Excellent

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

Pros

Katana is a game changer for small manufacturers that must track batch id's and other inputs. Really wish we had this when we started our business.

Cons

Batch tracking for ingredients will be a huge improvement. Apparently it's coming Q1 2021, so that will be nice.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the positive feedback! Batch tracking is indeed in the works and will be available soon.

Orion B.

Great Materials Management Tool

Reviewed on 2020/05/17

Pros

Lots of inventory apps out there but none are as solid on the materials management side as Katana. Its definitely added value from day one with materials management, out of stocks, and building flexible bill of materials. I can see my costs with real time averages and finally take tangible benefit on my balance sheet for finding cost efficiencies month over month.

Cons

It struggles to integrate with Shopify as efficiently as we need and the features tend to be a bit oversold by the team. We've found gaps in functionality each month that we've had to build process around.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Scott C.
  • Industry: Furniture

Brilliant System

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

Frees up time. Accurate stock levels. Easily see where in the manufacturing process a job is

Pros

Brilliant. Katana has transformed how we managed stock and control manufacturing. The best part is it is simple without unwanted extras that take as much time to maintain as a manual system. Katana is efficient and fast. Integrates well with Xero and Shopify. Highly recommended.

Cons

AMobile App would be brilliant but not essential

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the review and happy to be growing with you!

Joshua P.
  • Industry: Warehousing

The best for small manufacturing

Reviewed on 2020/05/19

Pros

KatanaMRP has really helped me know what to order, and when to order it, as well as plan what comes next in manufacturing. It even lets me add time to tasks in production so I can monetarily make sure employees are being efficient enough for my company to remain profitable.

Definitely recommend. I wish I would have found them sooner.

Cons

Sometimes the app logs me out and I have to put the information in twice.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Danny D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great alternative MRP to its expensive competitors

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

Katana has completely solved our supply line issues and it is an amazing tool that enables you to visualize production issues and bottlenecks.

Pros

I love graphical representation and its ease of use. It took less than a week to get my company up and running. Katana has been a fantastic MRP that has been able to grow with us. They have added some important updates that have made its daily operation even easier. All things considered Katana was a great choice for my company!

Cons

Sometimes it slows in operation which is mildly annoying. This could probably be fixed with some more servers in our geographic region.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Jeff H.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Katana has made a huge improvement to our business process!

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

I was extremely happy to find this app after months of struggling to keep track (using a spreadsheet) of current quantity for

1.) In stock blank shirts (various colors and sizes)
2.) Ordered blanks (various colors, sizes, and suppliers)
3.) Sales of finish products (various styles, colors, sizes, and designs.)

Making a Purchase Order list took way to long to complete each day. With Katana, tracking what we have and what we needed got so much easier and I was able to focus on more important business decisions. Before Katana I was over and under ordering ingredients.

I would recommend this app to anyone who uses Shopify and wants to make managing inventory of raw materials, ingredients, and sales orders easier.

Pros

Improved our ability to track shared ingredients for the products we sell.
Easy to know what quantity of ingredients to buy and who to buy it from.
Connects to Shopify and updates automatically.
Amazing customer support.

Cons

It took some time to learn the software and create ingredients for each product - but is worth while.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you!

Elton W.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Katana has made my life easier

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

My inventory issues are now a thing of the past. Katana has made it so easy to now sync to Woocommerce, it is so easy to see exactly where my inventory issues are.

Pros

This product is so easy to us. Once it is set up, it tracks your inventory very well, and the integrations with Woocommerce and Xero are excellent add ons as well. I would recommend to anybody

Cons

The pricing is a bit on the expensive side. As it is invoiced in $US, I don't have a fixed price each month, as it is subject to currency fluctuations, because I do not live in the US.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for your review! Glad to see you have solved your inventory tracking issues with Katana. Excited for your growth!

Matt F.

Katana Review

Reviewed on 2020/05/31

Just the app I needed for my small business to mange the complexities of inventory and materials management. It is a no brainer for anyone looking to manage their direct to consumer manufacturing and will be my key managing fast growth. The sync between Xero, Shopify and Katana is exactly what I was after. Great support from the team too!

Pros

I was looking for software that could manage both my purchased and manufactured products with both BOM and raw material management. Katana does a great job of this with the bonus of syncing with Xero and Shopify. It is not a complex system and simple for my small business.

Cons

Katana is quite basic with what you can record for your products and materials. It would be great if there was more ability to add custom fields ( supplier SKUs, Drawing number references etc). Also some ability to customize purchase order and sales order format would be a good improvement. To be able to add a suppliers sku to a PO would be very valuable.

Response from Katana MRP

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Ryan B.
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Amazing Software!

Reviewed on 2021/04/07

Pros

I love how easy it is to keep track of our inventory, and easily order more materials. It is easy to navigate and very user-friendly. You can easily see how much material you have in stock, and Katana warns you when stock is running low. Never again will I run out of what I need! Customer service is very outstanding as well, I have asked them multiple questions and they always get back quickly with a well detailed response. Love it!

Cons

Honestly cannot think of any cons about this software, I have not had any problems out of it.

Winston D.

Katana

Reviewed on 2020/01/23

Katana have changed how we look at our stock management as well as our manufacturing.
A lot of the small important things were neglected in the past like wastage management. We can know give the subcontractor near accurate qty's and amounts of what was wasted on a batch.
Overall visibillity of the stock as well as the manufacturing process have improved.
We are very happy with the overall functionality of Katana.

Pros

The fact that Katana is always available and so easy to navigate with saves time.
Our requests for new features like back order handling, serial number tracking and multi currency and warehousing some of them already implemented and some coming soon.
The fact that we response fairly quickly on questions that we have submitted.

Cons

It was probably moving over from a well known package like Pastel Evolution to something not familiar to me; but the transition was seamless.

Response from Katana MRP

Happy to hear your feedback and that the transition has gone well!

Bradley G.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Love this platform!

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

I was having issues accounting for bundled products as well as tracking labor costs in real time. I have enjoyed that Katana has these capabilities. I no longer have to count thousands of products each week!

Pros

I appreciate how much this software has helped me fix my inventory issues! I also love that when I have an issue that I do not know how to resolve, I can schedule a call and get live support. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is awesome and extremely relatable!

Cons

I think there could be a little more development with the integration process. It would also be nice to have an onboarding specialist because it is difficult to explain the unique quirks of your business and specific issues you need help with, to a different person each time. I also think the shop floor app could use a little more functionality but I am hopeful they will be adding more features eventually.