EpicCare

• Industry: Hospitality
  • Used for 6-12 months

EpicCare EMR

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

I am a Patient who relies on quick and effective uses of technology to navigate my health concerns via my team of physicians who have taken on EpicCare EMR to facilitate patient health and communication needs. I have learned my side of the patient portal by trial and error like those in my Doctor's office.

Pros

This has become the new integrated software to combine my health care providers through a creative, detailed and fast network of patient portal communication. Two of my Health Care Providers and Companies have taken to Epic to ensure they never miss a beat with a patient such as myself. Well put together.

Cons

It launched with one of my Care Teams and was a little bit of a disaster getting off the ground smoothly ensuring there were no glitches. It has since worked itself out and my users are very comfortable with the system.

The industry leader for reliable Electronic Medical Record

Reviewed on 2021/06/30

Electronic Medical Record is the core of a health care system. Epic is the cream of the crop. It is *not* just another application. It can displace/replace many of your other applications, so we saw dozens of IT people move away from applications and systems that were replaced and into Epic roles. If your organization devotes the time and resources to it, you are nearly guaranteed success. At a price $$$, of course. From an end-user perspective, it takes a while for clinicians to get used to it. For example, in Epic there may be many more steps for a given procedure as compared to another EMR, but those steps are there to make sure that the application is bullet-proof, and users get used to it and appreciate it after a short time.

Pros

Epic, the company, makes sure that your implementation succeeds, stays stable and reliable, and performs fast. They (Epic) constantly monitor performance, DR/BC availability, and uptime and tell you *exactly* how you should configure your environment. Your are absolutely not on your own with Epic.

Cons

The flip side to the Epic company being so involved in your setup and operation is that it takes a lot of internal employees to make it happen Epic's prescribed way, and there is a lot of internal employee involvement in setup, testing, and ongoing maintenance. In other words, Epic requires a lot of TLC, but it is extremely stable and reliable.

Elizabeth

Tons’o’clicks

Reviewed on 2023/10/05

Pros

That I have access to other EMR’s through Epic. That Epic automatically capitalizes the first word of a sentence.

Cons

Minor complaint- the .HM phrases for some things pull in the date it was resulted instead of the date it was done.Major complaint- When I came back from my lunch break at 1:00 after seeing patients all morning, Epic had disabled my user account. I had received a warning that my password was going to expire in 1 day when I logged in this morning but did not get the usual pop up you get from other sites prompting you to enter your old password, etc. After 2 phone calls with no resolution, someone calls me back an hour later while I’m in the middle of an annual exam using a printed note and the guy tells me that my Epic account expired years ago. I started using Epic 3/2019 and it worked fine until lunch. Expired? Huh? I handed my cellphone to my office manager. I think she was on the phone for over an hour. The account of an active physician should NEVER be disabled on a whim or a random expiration date that one of Epic’s forms asks for.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

All patient info in one place!

Reviewed on 2021/04/08

Epic has been a lovely product to use and makes my day-to-day job much easier than if I had to go through paper records. It is an efficient product and helps me get the patient info I need quickly and securely.

Pros

Epic is a secure way to access information from a patient's chart, whether that patient is currently admitted at the hospital or has previously been treated at your facility. The search within a specific patient's chart is robust and smart, populating results that may be related to the keyword you searched. Epic also allows you to access documents related to a patient from an outside hospital/institution. Epic's security features protect patient privacy from all ends.

Cons

Running Epic requires some setup, namely downloading a receiver to access the application. This additional step is not particularly difficult but does slow down the process of getting to Epic. I wish there was a desktop option for easy access to Epic.

EpicCare EMR

Reviewed on 2021/02/14

I have had an overall good experience with this software. I am looking forward to how it evolves with AI built into the EMR.

Pros

I have been using this software for about 3 years. The software is very intuitive to use most of the time. The menus are clean and fairly easy to navigate. The ability to have the whole patient history right in front of your fingertips is a big plus in 2021. The software is one of best on the market for EMR in 2021.There are no major glitches or bugs that I have encountered using this product over the past three years.

Cons

I feel the help menu does need some improving at this time. When the software updates things are changed and moved around alot on the menus. I feel there room for improvement on the help menus.I wish there was a live chat feature embedded in the software with customer support.

Heather
Heather

Epic

Reviewed on 2019/08/03

Pros

There are a ton of different functions within Epic. One of the things I like the most is that there are multiple ways to do almost everything, so each person can find the way that works best for them and their job function. Some parts are customizable, such as which tabs/buttons you have along the top of your screen. I like that you can take away what you don't use.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve to Epic. It can be very overwhelming with all of the different functions and figuring out which ones you need and which ones you don't. I feel that the workflow isn't the smoothest, and there are entirely too many clicks for what should be simple, quick tasks.

Scott
Scott

The Best EMR Option Right Now

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

EPIC is not an easy piece of software to use, learn, or train on but once you get into it and use it you will find it does everything you need. In just a few hours most end users will be up and running with minimal issues with normal day to day use.

Cons

This software is expensive and requires a knowledgeable IT staff and powerful infrastructure hardware. If you are a smaller facility you may want to look for another option, but EPIC is a fantastic solution for almost every healthcare provider out there.

Danilo
Danilo
  • Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

I enjoy using this product for my nursing staff and management team. The user ability is endless and it makes charting and patient care very much easier than all and it allows us to merge records quickly as well.

Cons

The cost and the training on the soft ware is a bit out of bounda

Kayla
Kayla

Overall, wonderful. Some improvements to be made but they are constantly improving for the...

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

The ease of navigation between functions and the multiple ways to perform functions which allow for us to determine the best way for you

Cons

no true complaints that are devastating or frustrating with the software. minor complaints that could maybe be considered petty

Kirsten
Kirsten
  • Industry: Performing Arts

As a patient, Epic is the best thing that has happened to medical care communication.

Reviewed on 2021/01/28

Epic/MyChart organizes my family's medical documents all in one place. its great.

Pros

I can ask questions of my doctors. I can look up my data and dates. I can review old visits. I can make appointments. I can request refills or review prescriptions. It's the medical documents I SHOULD be hanging on to, but all organized for me.

Cons

It's really well done. If pressed, I would like the ability to message doctors with whom I've not visited in over two years. Perhaps that is a limitation set up by my provider but that's annoying that I can't message a doctor from several years ago.

The Gold Standard of EMR

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

It makes clinical care and documentation so much easier, the billers/coders love it, and I can access outside patient records from other institutions that use Epic, so I know I'm not missing anything. Every hospital in the country needs to implement Epic.

Pros

The ease of use is perhaps number one for Epic. Having used some of the older EMRs, I am well aware of how an EMR can make or break your day. Epic is the best EMR I have used, and perhaps the best one out there. Its ease of use is second to none, and it's extremely intuitive (so even without a training course, which you're likely get anyway, you can pick up how to use this EMR in perhaps a few hours). The shortcuts that are already built in are great, and you can personalize this EMR to best suit your tastes. I know from a billing standpoint, Epic makes it a breeze, but as a daily user of this software I can guarantee you that the physician staff will appreciate Epic as well. Simply stated, this is the EMR of the future (and present), and the CareEverywhere feature makes continuity of care amazing, and the ability to access outside records makes clinical care a breeze. Epic is the known gold standard for a reason.

Cons

Compared to other EMRS, I can't think of anything negative to say.

Stephanie

Reviewed on 2019/09/29

Pros

I've been using Epic Care EMR for 8 years at my place of employment. We were given serious notice in advance when we were transferring from paper charts to electronic charts. Growing up in the technology age, transferring to electronic charts was not a huge change for me. I was able to chart what I needed for my patients very easily. I was able to teach others how to do so as well. I moved to a doctor's office 4 months ago who had just started using this system in their office so I was well aware of the software so I didn't need ask any questions. I had just kept moving forward with working with the system.

Cons

Downtime to updating the software was always on the night shift and I felt bad for nurses because if the downtime was for 4 hours, it would be difficult for the nurses to chart after the downtime was done before passing medications for the morning. It was always a inconvenient time but I think that was the IT department's choice, not the actual software's choice; for this review anyways.

David
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Great EMR

Reviewed on 2023/03/09

Pros

It’s it’s the standard of electronic medical records. It’s super user friendly and very easy to navigate and makes your work life much more efficient.

Cons

That it is a little on the pricey side when it comes to private practice.

Wayne
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

A robust, non-intuitive system that requires a big learning curve

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

It would be nice if EPIC had more simplified workflows and cleaned up the appearance of the screens. It would also be nice if EPIC could allow the user to customize the screen appearanc (currently, there is a feature that allows only very limited customization of the screen layout.

Pros

Depending on the features that are activated, it can be a robust EHR system. It can handle workflows of many types, including outpatient visits, procedures, and hospital workflows.

Cons

It can be difficult to use, even with many years of experience using it. The screen is way too busy with buttons, tabs, active links and data all over the place. There are too many hidden features to remember, and the workflow is often very clunky, requiring multiple mouse clicks and jumps to multiple screens (with delays between loaded screens). The screen includes a multitude of features and buttons/tabs that I never use (are to be used by other disciplines such as discharge planners), making it seem like a one-size-fits-all screen.

Megan
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

once you learn all the shortcuts, life couldn't be easier

Reviewed on 2020/05/30

a much more advanced EMR than many of the others out there and has so much potential to make the day to day easier.

Pros

EPIC is a complex EMR with lots of functionality and as annoying as that can be sometimes, it also makes it very helpful. I love the aesthetics of the program becasue that adds to the ease of use, I love the ability to personalize and filter to make aspects of what is impotant to you more easily accessible, and I love that it tends to translate better between hospital systems than other EMRs I've worked with.

Cons

there's a lot to this program so it takes a while to parse through and figure out what's important and what's superfluous. there's also no easy handbook for all the shortcuts and tips and tricks so a lot of what makes this program easy comes from word of mouth or programming settings that others figured out and have been passed down.

Epic Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Overall, I like Epic and think that it makes ordering and charting things easy when you make them into pre-programmed lists.

Pros

I like that you are easily able to chart on patients, you can make preset templates for charting and can preset order sets, and you are able to do everything electronically, including connecting to the PACs system and requesting documentation from other companies. You are also able to switch between inpatient and outpatient settings easily. Dragon is very compatible with this system.

Cons

I dislike that the EPIC system can vary depending on different healthcare setups, and can cost a lot. Epic can also take a while to catch on to, depending on how well you know computers. Finally, it can sometimes be hard to find different patients and patient lists on the inpatient systems if your healthcare system is large.

Kevin
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Excellent and Gets the Job Done

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

Overall Epic is great and provides a full suite of tools for a healthcare organization.

Pros

I like how Epic has a full suite of good software for healthcare organizations. I would say most Epic tools are good and are not too complicated. Billing and coding can be done easily compared to other systems. The defer feature is a great feature that is missing in other rival software. This is especially useful for a biller who needs to ask providers questions before taking action.

Cons

Some of the biggest issues I have with Epic is that the interface looks a bit dated. There is also a lot of variation between how different users interact with Epic. I often had to talk to doctors and nurses in order to help them out. Unfortunately we were never able to help each other out because Epic worked completely differently for different users.

Lisa

Epic Review

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

we are using epic to do referrals for the local hospital and to pull orders. and we use epic exact science to order our cologuards. but epic is just a messy emr!

Pros

We use Epic here for our Exact Lab orders, and we use the Epic software to login to local hospitals for referrals or records. We don't own this product, we are just users of this product. There is not really anything I like Most about this software

Cons

The least thing that is not likable about this software is how it ties everything into continuation. For instance is you need to print an xray report you have to print literally the entire record as it seems to always pick up where you left off, if you are seen on one day and come back in two weeks they just pick up where they left off so the notes are just confusing, what visit went with what. I don't like that at all about Epic

Ashley

Everyday user

Reviewed on 2022/10/31

I use it daily for my job duties. It's great that we are moving away from paper to everything being electronic and all in one place. So many providers use EPIC so it's a place that you can get more information on a patient and collaborate to make sure your patient's health care needs are being met.

Pros

There are so many features built into EPIC that are very helpful for everyday use as a Social Worker. I use multiple features in EPIC such as charting notes, secure chats with providers, assessments, LPOC, chart review, appointment reminders and so much more. It's great that you can kind of built your layout how you want it by switching the toolbar to display mostly used items.

Cons

It's always updating and changing which can get a little frustrating when you are a newer user.

Long time user/adminstrator

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

Pros

Epic offers endless features for end users. The system is excellent in preventing medical errors, ease of documentation, and overall efficient patient care.

Cons

Frequent, sometimes unnecessary, updates to the software. Difficult to elicit information from the organization sometimes

Kyoko
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

I am looking forward to having improved Epic version

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Please see above

Please see above

Pros

Its connected to the medical records/test results done in other places through care everywhere and crisp.
It's EMR-much much better and safer than hand written medical records.

Cons

It is not connected to JH ambra images and report.
Too many icons/tabs on the page, and it is difficult to navigate.
Call center messages under In-Basket messages; very difficult to see who is writing what in a chronological order. I rather would like the option deleted.
I can't review the patients' charts with Haiku.
Once "documentation" is open by mistake, I have to type in "opened by error" or something similar (which gets recorded permanently unnecessarily), otherwise, it remains under my In basket messages as incomplete chart for good.

Epic for medical use

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

I use this system everyday at work in a medical clinic. I work in the lab so I have my own sub category within the system, but I can still view the other schedules which makes my job a lot easier; rather than run around trying to find information, I can access it from my computer. I have a tab to see what labs a patient has had and I can look up their previous encounters (even telephone ones) to see what they were told to have drawn if their labs weren't ordered.

Pros

It's easy to use and as I learn more about it, it becomes even easier. For instance, there are multiple ways to access the same things, I find the redundancy makes for quick shortcut access. I also like that I can message people within the system which comes in handy.

Cons

Well I hadn't given it much thought until now, but maybe just the parts I don't have access to. Because I like the system and learning about it, it's a bummer when I can't access bits of a chart, but I know it's for security and confidentially, which is totally necessary. In reality, parts I can't access I don't need and I understand that. I don't have any real complaints about the system.

The best EMR, bar none

Reviewed on 2020/06/13

I've been using EPIC for several years now as a medical scribe. It is, by far, the best EMR software of any that I've used. If cost is not an issue, I would highly recommend it.

Pros

EPIC is extremely powerful from a clinician's standpoint. Notewriting is quick and easy, orders are easy to place, and there are shortcuts for everything, cutting down the time it takes to write notes considerably. In addition, EPIC links to other organizations that use EPIC, making it much easier to acquire outside records.

Cons

It's completely dependent on a working internet connection. If your internet connection goes down while you're using EPIC, you'll have issues with doing anything.

Tim

The Title Says It All: EPIC

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

I love the layout, the cost is astronomical, but the payoff for simplicity is even higher!

Pros

The EHR system Epic is not only one of the most diverse, but also among the most comprehensive EMR systems I've worked with to date. As an analyst, I help to build this system to custom fit for my health network, which is very easy, and made easier by the support we get from the Epic system itself!

Cons

Price point is always a touchy subject with Epic. You really need to be able to afford it while getting the accommodations to meets your systems' requirements. The biggest con is that Epic relies on you going to their standard format, meaning less customization.

Elizabeth

Comprehensive healthcare record

Reviewed on 2021/04/12

It has been good. Like any software there is a learning curve, but once you are comfortable with it the features make day to day activities very simple.

Pros

Epic is very comprehensive and provides everyone at the hospital with all the necessary tools and features to perform their job. They are also always trying to find ways to upgrade the program and make processes more streamlined.

Cons

Every time the system gets upgraded, it seems that there are features that no longer work. After notifying IT it takes a few days for the features to get back up and running, but it is inconvenient to have to find work arounds for the time.