Whereby Reviews

Whereby

Easy video meetings. No downloads, no logins.

4.6/5 (63 reviews)
Yann I.

A reliable and easy-to-use solution to host video calls

Reviewed on 2019/10/02

Whereby has been a solid solution to easily organize and host consulting calls and "virtual coffees". Its ease of use, and the fact that can be used both on computer, as well as on tablet and smartphone, make it a no-brainer and a tool that should be in every digital business owner's toolkit.

Pros

I had been using a wide variety of video conferencing tools before I started using Whereby and the things I found have made a difference are:

— the array of features: you can create customized and branded "virtual rooms" where to host calls, you can have one-on-one and group calls and you can do so both through the web-based version and the smartphone version of Whereby

— ease of use for both the conference call host and participants: it's incredibly easy to organize your first video conferencing call and have people join it, especially because there's no download nor installation required for them to use the web version of Whereby

— web and apps: some video conferencing tools are available only through their web version, while Whereby lets you have calls with your computer, as well as with your smartphone or tablet through the mobile device app

Cons

The one thing I don't think is ideal about Whereby is the fact that Call Recording is an add-on feature.

I wouldn't have an issue with it being an add-on feature available for the Whereby Pro Plan. However, even if one purchases the Pro Plan, he/she needs to purchase Call Recording as a separate add-on (which cannot be bought as a standalone feature).

So you'd end up paying for two separate things: for the Pro Plan and for the Call Recording feature.

Claudio P.

The best in

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

BEFORE:
"Hey, what's your account?" "I don't find you" "Witch one of these 3 old Skype accounts is the new one?"
*THREE HOURS LATER*
"Hey, here we are"

NOW:
"Click on this link" "Hey nice, it took like 3 seconds and I'm not frustrated"

Pros

YOUR INTERLOCUTORS DON'T NEED AN ACCOUNT. Or software. Or your nickname.

You simply have to send them a short link like appear.in/**yourname** and that's it.

Cons

None. It's a super simple and easy to use solution.
Maybe, the fact that not everyone is using it, so sometimes you're forced in use other bad conference solutions.

Simple, Solid, Effective Product.

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Facilitating really solid communication via a remote needs. We were on Zoom for a while but realized its just too complicated for what it offers.

Pros

The ease of use of Whereby is the best part of it. No downloading software, no adding extensions, no asking people to install anything. Everyone can join in really simple. It really helps connecting with clients quickly and efficiently.

Cons

There's not much to dislike, the simplicity of it makes it that easy. Sometimes the connections are spotty.

hasn't changed in the last 24 months - but still great

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

It's a great product for power users but some more conveniences as mentioned would make it irreplaceable. Don't focus on embedding software - screensharing can show any software, it doesn't need to have native support.
Ambient noise is a problem for new users so 'mute' training is something I have to administer to the 20+ people who have adopted on my recommendation.

Pros

Single click start and better video experience than skype. Re-instating YouTube 'play together' is a highlight

Cons

simple fixes/changes as suggested 24 months ago haven't occurred:
- 'v' key to toggle video feed like the 'm' key
- a sound indicator on someones window to show they are broadcasting sound (will help detect/identify ambient sound)

Simple, always handy

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Love it, simple, efficient, never had an issue.

Pros

Never had a call fail with Appear.in. It is also very simple to invite business partners using (free) custom links.

Honestly, it's simplicity makes it a no brainer for us

Cons

If the URL is taken, rooms should not be available if the admin is not present. It happens we used someone else's URL for months.Therefore, when we upgraded to a paid membership, we were advised our long time link was taken and couldn't be used with Pro features.

Aasim S.

Whereby works where others don't

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/09/28

Pros

Whereby helps me talk to people who don't have access to a desktop client like what Zoom has. It also helps me start meetings more fluidly.

Cons

It lacks a lot of features products like Zoom have such as selective sharing and audio sharing.

Josué L.

Terrific tool

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/24

It's been a great ride so far.

Pros

It's been really easy to set up an interview between our clients (hiring managers) and the candidates, you don't have to ask for Skype users and go back and forward with emails sharing that information, you only have to set up a "conference room" and share that link, that's it!

Cons

It's almost perfect, I just wish there's some chrome extension or email/calendar client plug-in to make it even easier.

Rafael F.

Nice, easy to use (still some work pending)

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

We are very plased with this tool, the only concern is that they are charging a lot now for every new functionality.

Pros

Is really easy to use, for us it was the key to migrate to appear.in

Cons

Has come troubles with new camera configurations, and when I have 2 o more webcam connected.
The same with heaphones. I have my laptop connected with Bosse Quitecomfort Bluethoot, another Bluethoot speakers and plgged headphones and thats causing troubles.

Isabel S.

amazing tool

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

I am a Psychologist and Career Consultant. I work with individual sessions, attending people across the country and this makes my life better because when I depended exclusively on Skype I was having trouble providing smooth call with no sound and internet problems, sometimes we used to lost productivity due to performance connection problems.

Pros

The things I like most are: appear is hands-on, simply and online. Doesn't need login or download to new participants. I work remotely and its really make difference on my productivity.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is the fact I can not integrate with Calendly .

Jarred P.

Great Meeting Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

We utilize this software for remote working employees and it has made a huge difference in the ability to save travel time to the office.

Pros

No downloads and works first try in your browser. We use it internally on a daily basis. We also have special rooms that we use for customer meetings.

Cons

There is no option to pay for call in support. Internally we don't require this, but some customers don't have computers with microphones that work etc., and it would be useful for them to be able to login to the meeting to see our screens but call in for voice.

Appear.in Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

As it is simple to use my experience with it is great.

Pros

This application has helped me to stay connected to my family in different country. I was so pissed with other applications and it came to my rescue. The video and audio quality is unmatchable. It is super simple to form a meeting group, my parents who are not that well versed with technology use it with great ease.

Cons

At time the connectivity becomes an issue. Otherwise, it is good. It can also add multiple features.

Douglas I.

Making my life easy

Reviewed on 2019/02/20

I use it multiple times per day. Our entire team has become accustomed to using Apprear.in as our central meeting location. We were using Hangouts prior and this has become much more efficient. My connection quality is as expected 99% of the time & outside users gain access without hindrances. As you can see I am a big fan.

Pros

Ease of use, simple for low tech users, fast for our team, centralization, no user accounts or logins

Cons

I have to search for items, no real cons. Switching between small and large rooms can confuse some users.

Uroš Z.

As easy as it can be

Reviewed on 2019/07/31

Pros

The key selling point of appear.in is surely its one-click magic. You just have to click on the link and that's it - you are in and have already started video conferencing. This is the most important thing when you want to interview lots of users for your product research, and don't want to bother them installing third party software.

Cons

It can be buggy sometimes, sound will not work properly on occasion, but nothing too serious.

Catherine B.

Makes meeting online easy!

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Pros

Love appear.in and using it with Fit Armadillo clients. In the past other technologies kept people from engaging in our services due to the complexities of having to log in. Appear.in has been wonderful for our clients and staff and made things easy!

Cons

There can be many different types of technology and settings and sometimes the basic tips don’t help all users. Not really appear.in’s fault though!

Great Alternative Video Conferencing App

Reviewed on 2019/09/13

My experience with whereby has been good to date

Pros

The seamless no download and no sign-in (unless you are hosting) features are one of my favorites form the Whereby App

Cons

Integration with outlook or google calendar would be great add-on at the moment ones rehires to hop on difference interfaces/software tools to get this done

Natasha A.

Reliable video conference meetings

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Great free solution for speaking either clients

Pros

Reliable video quality and easy to use screen share feature. Use this on the majority of my client calls as my go to video conference

Cons

Clients get confused/ frustrated when they can’t click on the share screen button due to them not installing the chrome ad on. Slows down the meeting explaining to them what to do

Bryan M.

Our solution for getting quick video calls started with new contacts

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Whereby isn't a tool we use everyday, because with many frequent contacts we are communicating in something else like zoom, skype, discord or slack. Every so often though we have contacts who don't frequently use those programs, or use them at all, and we find that the easiest way to get a meeting started is to simply email them our Whereby URL. The fact that it provides a no hassle experience in that type of situation is exactly what we need.

Pros

We like that joining a video call doesn't require participants to download software, they simply visit our customized meeting room URL and they are a part of the meeting. Whereby has the easiest experience for joining meetings that we've found.

Cons

Right now Whereby is a tool we use for a very specific case along with other meeting tools. We'd like to be able to either use Whereby in more situations, or be able to use less tools overall. For this reason I am not sure if Whereby is a solution we can recommend to anyone.

Bob B.

Lots claim- intuitive - appear.in delivers

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Its cool and works really well and we can see how that will only improve ..

Pros

Easy of use and robust stable delivery

Cons

Inbuilt CMS and automated appointment text and email notifier

Sheena M.

Decent quality

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

I really like appear.in. I use it every day for work and can have up to 12 users at a time on it. Sometimes it can go down for no known reason and it takes a while to come back up, but that doesn't happen very often . Overall it's a great product!

Pros

EASE OF USE
ACCESSIBILITY
CAPACITY
Screen record
Share screens

Cons

SOMETIMES IT'S NOT DEPENDABLE
quality of video

Geoff C.

Great Free Video Chat

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/03/06

I use it to meet with remote contractors often and have never had a speed or quality issue. It is lighter weight than google meetings and requires no registration. This is my go to meeting software for small teams.

Pros

I like that it runs on linux. I like that it is free, and creating a free room actually gives you a static url. I have been using the same url for various meetings for over a year. I recognizes my camera and usb headset no problems in chrome, and the screen sharing extension works out of the box. The Eula isn't crazy and there are not ads.

Cons

There is a four user limit for the free tier, but I have never hit it. I really haven't seen a downside to this software in over a year.

Tobias K.

can be hard to get clients in

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Pros

Its simple, nothing needs to be downloaded or installed, when you're meeting with a lot of different people frequently this is important

Cons

it could be simpler. my biggest issue is that I meet with many people who are not tech savy, and have trouble joining my meeting, I would ideally like a big "join meeting now" button on your main websites home screen when users without accounts can simply click and type in the name of the meeting theyre joining

Mitch B.

Video meetings have never been easier

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

Very happy with Appear and will continue to use it in my businesses and personal life.

Pros

Appear is extremely easy to use, and 99% of the time it just works without a hitch.

Cons

The new pricing plans are a bit of a downgrade from what we were previously experiencing as pro users, but it's still tremendous value.

Online video conferencing is now simple.

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

For a small and midsize team, it is a perfect solution. Register and get a room link and with your room link, anyone can join your meetings. I like the simplicity of the app and the minimalistic design.
The chat function helps when sharing links or documents within the meetings.

Pros

After registering I got a link for my room and that's it. I shared a link with my partners and it took all of us to a 4 windows video conferencing window. I am using a 3g link, and the video quality is good. The lag for video transmission is less than 2 seconds which is equal to any pro alternative.
The free plan supports 4 users at a time and one room which is just enough for me. Good quality and minimal lag make meetings more productive and less confusing.

Cons

The sound sometimes gives a static unbearable sound when using a USB microphone.

Nathan R.

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Pros

It's so easy to load - it's like an actual virtual conference room. People can come in and out as they please. The connection is great

Cons

Sometimes you have to restart when you get to larger sizes of people/rooms but it's rare.

Jose M.

Great tool for distributed work

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

We use it every day for daily meetings - a distributed team - and frequent room meetings on demand.

Pros

Very easy to use, and with some options when bandwidth is not good (suppress camera, Pro rooms)

Cons

Lack of a Windows app as an optional feature