SchoolAuction.net

4,7 (222)
Web-based software for volunteer-driven fundraising auctions

Molly S.

A shout out to SchoolAuction.net! Fabulous customer support~~timely, helpful and thorough....

Reviewed on 2017/12/06

Pros

We appreciate that SchoolAuction.net is forever improving itself. Supprt truly listens to feedback and then goes about making changes. We appreciate the easiness of the software to use for our Spring Gala and auction needs. We were especially pleased with showing off the catalog last year. Once our pics and descriptions were in and we published it to our families, we were really proud of how the catalog looked. It was very professional and gave our families a huge preview of what was to come at the event.

Doug S.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Answered our prayers

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

We had been using a different auction package for a few years. It had a dated, inefficient interface. It tripped us up in the middle of our event. We needed something more modern and responsive. We were investigating more expensive, top-tier packages when another volunteer saw SchoolAuction.net in an ad. We read up on it and found it had the features we wanted, but seemed like just a small startup (loved the story, but could they support us?). I called and had their founder on the phone in no time and he quickly put me at ease with their ability to meet our needs and support our events.

We decided to try it out and were not disappointed. The documentation was amazingly clear and very easy to follow. We got rapid support when we needed it. Including a few more calls to their founder who also helped us get connected with a payments gateway. We pulled off a great event and were even able to re-use the software for other events within the same year. ALL of our events yielded higher revenue than in past years as a result of their great tools and we saved money over the other packages we evaluated.

Pros

Easy to learn and use. Great documentation. Superb customer service. Comprehensive feature set and flexible enough to meet needs outside of our original auction intent. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Cons

Would have enjoyed a little more customization capability in the site look-and-feel, but the included templates were good enough to meet our needs.

Reasons for Choosing SchoolAuction.net

ReadySetAuction had a dated interface that was very slow to operate. Too much clicking and paging through long lists of guests, donors, or items. Forms would not load on a single page on a high-res screen. You were always having to scroll around to complete each item entry. Very inefficient. In addition, it was limited to a single event and had a very narrow auction-specific workflow. SchoolAuction.net is flexible enough to support multiple events and event types on our small budget.

Reasons for Switching to SchoolAuction.net

Had all the features we wanted at a better price. Great support. Very open trial process. Very transparent on business model and costs.
Kati O.

Easy Software!

Reviewed on 2022/05/09

Overall we are happy with schoolauction.net. They have been able to meet our needs every time- we have done paper silent auction bidding, mobile bidding, and live auction. During the pandemic, we hosted a virtual auction. All have been successful when it comes to using the software. I am excited to see that they are moving more types of events into the system. We might convert one of our other fundraisers into this system.

Pros

As a volunteer that has an FT job, it was my responsibility to select, implement and use a product for our school auction. The help videos are amazing, customer support is wonderful and overall it is a simple product for a complex need. We have been using this product for 4 years now and are so incredibly thankful we left our other highly rated platform.

Cons

We struggle with the mobile bidding vs the paper bidding but that is really not a problem with the software. It is more about knowing your audience.

Response from Northworld

Hi Kati,

Thanks so much for the high praise and for your continued support. We strive to provide prompt and helpful customer support, so I'm glad you experience that as well. If you need any help in the future converting one of your other fundraisers into our software, don't hesitate to reach out by emailing [email protected], or by using the Help widget that appears on the right edge of every page. Looking forward to helping you with your next event or fundraiser!

Rebecca H.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Good for School Auctions only

Reviewed on 2022/05/15

It worked fine for the year we used it. I was frustrated by having to figure out a lot of work arounds to get what I wanted to do. Not very customisable and very limited creatively.

Pros

What I was as able to create looked very good, but there was so much more I wanted to be able to do but couldn’t.

Cons

Not very customisable for different types of organisations. Really is created to run school auctions. Very little muted in what one could create using this software.

Reasons for Choosing SchoolAuction.net

Hired an event manager and she choose School Auctria. Not my choice. Cost more than Greater Giving and didn’t do as much.

Reasons for Switching to SchoolAuction.net

Not my choice. Event planner that was hired choose.

Response from Northworld

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I wanted to point out that actually quite a large number of our customers are not schools; most of our new customers over the last few years have been other non-profits; as such, we have tools and templates available to create all kinds of auctions and fundraisers, including jog/read-a-thons, targeted fundraising campaigns, voting contests, golf tournaments, etc. Many of our customers even use our software to sell event or concert tickets, have an online store, or as a year-round give/donate page. To find out how to set these up, please contact our support team at [email protected], or you can reach them by clicking the Help widget that appears on the far right edge of each page within our software. We'd love to help you take full advantage of your software plan, and help you raise even more money.

Eric N.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Easy To Use

Reviewed on 2022/03/24

Pros

I like that it's web based and allows us to give access to multiple people. The ease of use for entering and managing items is simple. Managing tickets is also easy.

Cons

A big missing feature is a more robust table management portion of the software. Our events have anywhere from 300-1,000 guests and while I can enter the table number on the ticket, the organization and management of all our tables has to be done outside of the software. We also had issues with linking bidders. When two bidders were linked, only one of their bidder numbers worked. Couples would use both numbers thinking that the accounts were linked together.

Response from Northworld

Hi Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. I'm passing your feedback regarding table management to the rest of the team, as most of the features we add or edit are in direct response to customer feedback. In terms of the linked bidders, the feature worked as intended - couples can be linked so that they can share a bidder number at check-in as opposed to each having their own number. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm glad that you find it easy to enter and manage items and tickets, and we look forward to helping you with your group's next event; we appreciate your support!

Trent G.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising
  • Used for 6-12 months

Easy to use during the event

Reviewed on 2019/07/21

Those of us tasked with entering items and organizing were done so far ahead of schedule compared to prior years, that we had to go back and correct issues that arose later. Next time, we’ll just be patient. A good problem.

Pros

Mobile/Tablet compatible, SaaS
Intuitive, very little training for volunteers.
Very easy to integrate credit card processing connection.
Help videos to show volunteers. Extensive text-based help database as well.
Multiple users at once; admin can set permissions.
Option for online auction.

Cons

Some signage/descriptions signage was only available in one export size/orientation and it wasn’t our desired size.
Can’t add new user while in the screen to add new item. Must switch menus.
Indicator for volunteer at check-out to pull certificate needs to be larger and/or a pop-up should be utilized.
Managing seats at gala tables; doesn’t indicate well when particular table hits capacity.
No option to suppress unavailable physical bidder paddle numbers (when using existing paddles).
Silent auction tab sheet doesn’t continue to a second page for more entries.
No place to include other expenses from event so we can build complete picture of our success.

Reasons for Choosing SchoolAuction.net

Load-speed of site, mobile-friendly, easier to export reports, reliance on volunteer who built homegrown system.

Reasons for Switching to SchoolAuction.net

We selected what would be easiest to use during the event.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Trent! We're delighted that your job was faster and easier - and that you are going to keep us on our toes by pushing for more improvements. We love the constructive, detailed feedback!

Mark F.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Very good software for running a fundraising auction

Reviewed on 2021/11/12

They are very easy to do business with. I highly recommend to use their studio for a live virtual event; they take care of all the technical details to make it look good.

Pros

Got lots of emails and support about what to do at each stage of preparation. Easy to add donors and photos of auction items. Like that there's one window for bidding and viewing the video. This software is much better for the auctioneer than the other software I have used.

Cons

The flowchart in the dashboard is somewhat useless; clicking on the steps only referenced help videos that I don't have time for; would be better to jump to the referenced setup menu. Missed sending out virtual event reminders on the day before; could have used a reminder (nowhere does it mention this). Sofware is geared to set up for a live auction event with bid sheets, etc. Have to manually change each item and ended up missing one.

Reasons for Choosing SchoolAuction.net

The auctioneer's recommendation. Turned out to be better and learning curve was not bad.

Reasons for Switching to SchoolAuction.net

People liked that they only had to use one screen, one device to both bid and see the video.

Response from Northworld

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your detailed review! We're glad that you appreciate the single-screen efficiency of our Virtual Live Auction feature, and that your auctioneer found the Auctioneer View easy to use. In response to the items you listed under Cons, I'll certainly share them with the rest of the team; the majority of the software features we add or change are a direct result of customer feedback. I did want to touch on one specific thing you mentioned; you DO have the ability to edit items in bulk vs. one-by-one. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you'd like our support article on how to do that. I'm happy to share anything that will help your organization with their next event!

Renata S.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Used for 6-12 months

Worth the learning curve! Switched from software we had been using for the past 20+.

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

We really enjoyed using schoolauction.net and will continue to do so for our school gala/auction event. In fact, we were so pleased that we are looking at how we might be able to use it for other events as well. There was a learning curve, especially for those team members who aren't especially tech-savvy , but the majority found it very easy to use and were thrilled that we made the switch!

Pros

Easy to import info from previous software.
Intuitive and generally very user-friendly.
Good for those who can self-educate - lots of video tutorials and a comprehensive help center.
Very quick customer service response through email.

Cons

Some team members struggled with the lack of phone support.

We had an issue specific to our gala-style event, and thus I would not recommend this software for an organization whose priority is finding a seamless way to handle guests with regards to tickets, tables, table captains, and comped tickets. We were able to find workarounds but it got a bit confusing and we weren't able to use the reports and analytics that would have otherwise been very helpful.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Renata! We appreciate the feedback, and... we're working on it!

Nicole W.
  • Used for 1+ year

Easy to use auction software

Reviewed on 2020/09/10

The software makes it possible to get every fundraising dollar and clearly organize guests for the event.

Pros

Excellent help features on every page. Easy to contact support team if needs arise. I also appreciate the helpful bidding sheets that print directly from the software.

Cons

The software requires the administrator to process credit cards individually after the auction has closed, which takes quite a lot of time.

MaestroAuction and Greater Giving

Reasons for Switching to SchoolAuction.net

Online database as opposed to Maestro's computer-specific software. Schoolauction.net is also very reasonably priced!
Carabeth R.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

School Auction Review

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

We solved our school auction with this software, I loved it because we mostly use volunteers to staff the event and it was very easy to have people with no previous experience with the software use it that evening with ease.

Pros

School Auction is a great platform! We started using it for our annual auction and it was a game-changer for our school. It's super easy to use and set up.

Cons

I feel like the website that you can create for your event could be a little more robust. You can change the colors but the layout options are limited.

Amy T.

Great product at a great price!

Reviewed on 2021/11/05

We have used SchoolAuction since 2016 with great success! Over the years, many new features have been added. The design team is wonderful to work with an is responsive to customer requests. This program is a wonderful value! We use it twice a year for a gala/auction and a golf tournament. The customer service is amazing! They and quick to answer emails, set up conference calls, and alert us when they see problems with our set ups. I frequently review other systems, but have continued to stay with this system as it is a great product at a great price.

Pros

I love that this product is very user friendly and that the customer support is amazing! This company is my favorite to work with. They find problems with event set ups often before I notice them. They are quick to respond to emails and set up conference calls as needed. I always feel supported throughout the process. Their west coast hours really work amazingly well with volunteers that are often doing work on the system in the evening hours here.

Cons

1. I wish when people placed bids, they could put in a different amount that the next bid or max bid. Sometimes, they just want to overbid for an item as a donation to the school.
2. I wish at the online checkout that it asked if you wanted to add a donation. I may have only spent $100, but I planned to spend $500 that night and no one has asked if I would like to add a donation to my final fill or to round up from $80 to $100.
3. Sometimes the buttons are different things are really hidden, but customer service is so wonderful that I generally just email and get my answer.
4. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE is crowdsourcing was added. Even if it was something to post to social media. Our race software does that. Once you register, it asks if you want to set up a fundraising page and then asks if you want to share that to social media.
5. Our events would go so much quicker for check out if scanning bar codes was an option. Typing takes time and volunteers are manning the computers so there are lots of opportunity for slowness and mistakes when typing. Most attendees would prefer to go to the registration to check out so that they could add a donation easily to their order, but that is not the case. We leave lots of money on the table because the checkout table is too slow and online does not ask for donations.

Response from Northworld

Hi Amy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. I'm going to pass your suggestions on to the rest of the team as we take all customer feedback into consideration when adding new features or editing current ones.

I'm so glad that enjoy working with our customer support team - we pride ourselves on having prompt, friendly support.

Lastly, I did want to let you know that you can utilize our software for your crowdfunding campaigns as well as your 5K and Fun Run. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you'd like more information on how to do that.

Richard W.

SchoolAuction.net Review

Reviewed on 2021/04/25

We went with SchoolAuction.net because we needed to have an online event to accommodate covid concerns. Our desire was to have the people decide whether they would attend and bid on their phones or bid from home. Unfortunately, we had an outbreak in our organization and had to go totally online. Because of the design of the software, that was a seamless transition. We originally went with SchoolAuction.net as a one time use because of covid. The program convinced us to stick with it regardless of what next year brings.

Pros

This software was obviously designed by someone who has done auctions extensively. Every time I had a specific need, I found that they had already thought of that. Often times, to make a program work for your situation, you need to come up with some workarounds. That was never necessary with SchoolAuction.net. They had already anticipated the need. Support is within an hour at the most. They gave me a phone number to use the night of the auction, but we never needed it. It worked better than expected.

Cons

The ONLY thing that would have made the night easier has to do with proxy bidding. We had some people who don't use email or do anything on the internet. They have always been good supporters, so we wanted to provide them a way to participate. It was easy to print a catalog for them. Proxy bidding was easy to use. What I would like considered is to provide a way to sign them up so an assistant could bid from the catalog for them rather than the proxy method. It's so much easier to see your bids in the catalog. Also with proxy bidding the screen keeps resetting so you have to keep going back into their account. I know an issue is that the credit card companies want a valid email, but these people pay with check anyways so that wouldn't be a problem.

Monica M.

Clean, Updated Look to Event Software

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

For our annual fundraising event I decided to try a new software as our planning committee was looking for new ways to manage the event. We specifically loved the self check-in and out capabilities, the ease of entering catalog items and photos, and the ease of emailing guests. Another really nice aspect was the fact that we did not hire a cashiering service because it was easy to train volunteers to input sales at the event.

Pros

The software creates a clean, esthetically pleasing event website. The catalog looks fresh with updated design options compared to other auction softwares. It is pretty user friendly, easy to figure out. I loved the ease of sending out messages to attendees and I also loved the self check-in and self-check out components. There is no reason to hire a cashiering service for the night of the event because training volunteers to enter sales data is super easy. We loved that we could do this ourselves.

Cons

1. There is no way to enter attendees as couples. In other auction software, there are households in which two names can be entered. Each person within the household has a very succinct "profile" and then they are linked. This makes it easy to print name badges with the same bidder numbers etc. In my opinion, SchoolAuction really needs to address this issue.
2. I didn't like the look of the template of the receipts/thank you letter and it was super hard to manipulate to make it look decent. I would like it to look more like a regular letter with the receipt part in the body of the letter. It would be nice to have the ability to have more than one template.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Monica! As you get ready for next year, reach out to us to show you how to enter couples/households as attendees - it's a slightly different process than in some other systems.

Trish K.

Simplified my life tremendously!

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

My overall experience has been very positive. Everything the software does to make life easier is fantastic. It was created by people who have worked in the trenches of the hellish auction so they totally understand. The rep is also awesome about making himself available to help with event logistics. We've had moments where we were having a hard time figuring out how to transition to a database-run event and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] would spend time on the phone giving us pointers.

Pros

We started using this software in 2017. Before signing on, we used an email marketing program for registrations and did everything else manually. It was a nightmare and the event was always stressful and left me feeling drained. After shopping around I settled on School Auction. I work with an animal rescue, not a school, so the platform I use is called Tofino. Same great product but a different name for non-schools.

I love everything the software does for us. It keeps track of registrants and lets you add pre-sale items and different price levels, it assigns bidder numbers and can link bidders together to share one number. It keeps track of auction items, numbers them, lets you bundle them together in lots, creates display signs and bid sheets. It's all online so anyone on your team can access and enter data.

A couple features that really made life so much easier are the self check-in and self check-out. Guests can check themselves in, vault a credit card, make all their purchases with their bidder number and then at the end of the night you send them an email with their invoice and they can pay securely on their phone! Not having the end-of-the-event nightmare lines out the door is one of the best things.

They also have a series of reports that you can run post-event. Everything is broken down so you can see how much the auction made or how much each item sold for, how much merchandise was sold, how many glasses of wine were purchased, etc.

Cons

The software is set up so people can teach themselves how to use it. All the videos and help articles are great. But, I gotta say, it would be nice to be able to talk to customer service now and then. For the basic package all customer support is done via email. Now that we're in our third year, that's not such a big deal but year #1 was a bit frustrating at times trying to figure things out with back and forth emails. I will say, though, that they answer the emails quickly so you can usually get resolution in a timely manner. Also, on event night they give you a phone number to reach an on-call support person in case any problems arise. So it's a huge relief having that option on hand.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Trish! We appreciate the feedback and the continued opportunity to help you!

Jennifer H.

Good school gala software

Reviewed on 2016/11/29

We used this software last year for our school fundraising Gala. we have opted to renew and use again this year. It's fairly easy to jump in and get started. There are video tutorials to help you get started. If you organize yourself well, the reporting at the end is great. If you don't categorize as intended, it will affect you at the end. Make sure everyone entering information and creating sellable items, tickets, free, retail, tax info, etc. understands the reason for certain categories because this software can do a lot for you. There were some live features during gala that I would have liked to see -- like a full list of each current bid - it scrolled through and took forever for people to see the current bid on the item they wanted. This may be a feature, but I couldn't find it that night. Make sure to set the settings for live bids to allow your guests to put in their max bid. This was something we did not do, but wish we did. For our first year, I feel that we didn't fully understand the power of the software, and are learning it better prior to the event this year. I am looking at last year as a trail run for us and am hoping from what I've learned in closing out the event that this year will be much more smoother now that I see things we should have done when setting up the event. Overall, last year it was a 4 without much planning into how to use the software. I am hoping with better planning on our end, we can use the software to its full potential. The important things to consider when creating event are: Roles assigned to Users, Settings for your Guests software experience, and categorizing each sellable item, auction item, ticket, sponsorships, etc. If set up properly, the reporting within this software is great at the end and live during the event. If it's wrong, you can always fix during the reporting phase at the wrap up, but the information won't be accurate leading up to and at the event. There is a lot of great tools in this software, but take the time to use it at its full potential.

Pros

Reporting, organizing, invoicing, collection of money, database creation

Cons

live online bidding wasn't as smooth as we had hoped due to not understanding how to show current bids of a large number of items easily for guests.

Daniel L.

User Friendly, Easy to Engage Volunteers With!

Reviewed on 2016/11/28

Our organization has used School Auction for over 4 years for our major gala event. We are committed to creating an enjoyable event, and School Auction has been our key assist to making the event run smooth.

The tool is useful because it automates so many core functions at a gala fundraiser: Pre-planning, the tool is easy to use for helping to sort and ID guests. It's a great repository for our Gala Auction items to keep track of items, and can be used to print out the descriptions of silent auction items for the event. During the night of, we're able to collect the credit card information of our donors at check-in (no messy exits), and are able to update all information night of real time. We organize a training for our volunteers a few days before the event, which helps to familiarize the team with the tool. It is a good idea to have one or two "Go To" leads for the night of to assist with questions.

Best of all, if you have questions or concerns the night of the event, School Auction will answer your questions! I've found the team to be very helpful and response to email communications and assistance. One of my favorite parts of School Auction is the data analysis we are capable of - it helps easily ID through charts and graphs what amount of our revenue came from particular items, and using the same software year over year makes for easy comparison. Very useful and I would recommend!

Pros

Very user friendly. The data for after event comparison is very helpful in designing and planning what is most effective.

Corinne N.

Escuela Key Auction March 25, 2017

Reviewed on 2017/03/28

Generally very good experience. 3 Major Problems that I would like to discuss with someone for next year. (1) When guests with a shared bidder number checked in, the guest whose email was secondary in the account got an error message that they needed to create a password and vault a credit card. That made no sense because the first guest had already done so. We don't know if we were doing something wrong at check in or what but it frustrated our guests and slowed them from getting to room to start bidding. (2) Despite being told in advance of the auction that we could go to Auction Night/Will Call to see what had been sold/won periodically through the night (so that we could collate the items to the winning bidders' folders), I could not get Will Call to show the winning items during the auction. It showed only the pre-auction sales. This was a major problem and slowed down our process for getting items into the hands of winning bidders' folders for check out. After the auction, I see that Will Call does list all the winning bids. We will need clarification on this for next year. (3) With shared tickets, the second guess did not always get outbid text notifications. How can we fix this for next year?
Also, less of a major problem: We were selling some items for a fixed price. We were doing mobile bidding. When we selected "buy now" for "price to display", the mobile catalog properly shows the "buy now price." But our printed description sheet listed "cost" with the FMV. This was confusing and I could not figure out a way for the printed sheet to show the buy now price.
Is there a way for me to talk to/email directly to SchoolAuction.net to get clarification on these things for next year. We can't have the check-in problem and Will Call problem again.

Pros

Easy to load the catalog and to enter data. Easy to bid. Easy to check out. Easy to close out orders. Easy to do returns. Generally, really great to use this software. Would definitely use again next year.

Cons

After editing an item in the catalog and hitting save, you bounce back to the top of the catalog. The whole situation with raffle items is confusing. It was never clear to me whether the items being raffled should have been categorized as "raffle" or what.
Major problems checking in second guest on shared bidder number.
Major problems with Will Call report during the auction.
Sellable items -- "cost" (ie FMV) displayed on the printed description sheet. Should display the "Buy Now" price.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thank you, Corinne! We appreciate the feedback, and will reach out to you directly to discuss the issues you saw.

Courtney W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Best Auction Software We've Used!

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

Overall we've had an amazing experience with SchoolAuction.net. We just renewed our subscription for the 3rd year and enjoy using it for not only our annual auction but for other fundraising events throughout the year. I would highly recommend this software over any other.

Pros

This software was created with the average computer user in mind but also gives the customization tools for a super user! It has a beautiful website for the bidding audience and a fully functional database with excellent reporting for the auction team. I would say the best thing about this software is its ease of use for everyone, our bidders, ticket buyers, donors, and especially our volunteer team. I don't have to spend a bunch of time training them how to use the software, it has a very detailed search system and walk through function so my staff can learn how to use it on their own.

Cons

There's a few minor things I have complaints about but I've brought them up to the customer service department and they are working on making changes to those areas of improvement.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Courtney! We really appreciate your feedback - stay tuned for announcements on the upgrades coming later this summer.

Robert B.

The best we've found - it does everything.

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

SchoolAuction.net has been an incredible upgrade from the software we used for a few years. It's a complete system that essentially provides everything you need in order to conduct an online and/or live auction, from selling tickets to selling items, assigning and printing bid sheets and bidder cards, as well as invoicing, tracking and receiving payments, and reconciliation. Essentially, it's a complete system. We compared many systems before converting to SchoolAuction.net 3 years ago, and once we chose this one, we havent looked back. Each year they have added new and exciting features (they even have mobile bidding and self-checkout with automated email reminders to pay), and their support is fast and clear. They also have very good tutorials and videos, which makes it easy for me to train new users each year (thank you for that, guys!).

As a system administrator for several small-to-medium sized clients, I have a great deal of experience with various types and scopes of business systems, including overall operational systems, online commerce, financial and more. I am impressed that this one system offers so many features and functions all in one program, including credit card transactions.

I give it an absolute "two-thumbs up"! I'm not impressed easily, but I'm definitely impressed with this program and their people.

Robert Brannan
Auction Admin and Online Auction Chair
2015, 2016, 2017 Auctions

Isaac K.
  • Industry: Executive Office

Excellent All-In-One School Auction Software!

Reviewed on 2017/01/17

I have been using this software for the past two years and it is excellent and very user friendly! I have run the entire auction event from start to finish with this site and I have no complaints about it at all. The customer support is second to none. They have addressed every single ticket I have submitted in under 30 minutes and have always addressed my concerns. The front end is great and easily customized to meet your needs. The backend is straightforward to navigate for anyone with even a little technical ability. They allow you to migrate data between sites in order to preserve donor and item information which makes follow-on years very easy to implement. I have researched other products and I sincerely believe this is the best product for a mid to large size event. You will not be disappointed by this product or their customer service!

Pros

Easy to use, end-to-end management of auction event. No need to use any other product for any other portion of the event. Easy to convert items from silent to online auction. POS is very professional and just as good as anything you would find in a retail store.

Cons

It is a little more expensive than some of the cheaper auction software out there, but I know this is because it contains much more functionality. If you have a very small event then it might not be worth the price, but for anything mid to large size this is the best product.

Kate F.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

You'd be silly to attempt an auction without it!

Reviewed on 2017/01/19

When I came on-board at my non-profit, they had been using just Excel sheets and word docs for all of their auction needs. That gave me nightmares! When we finally started using School Auction, it was a game-changer. As we began last year, the committee asked "Are we using the auction software again?" I stopped them dead in their tracks when my reply was, "I refuse to participate if we DON'T." That's the power of School Auction.Net! :)

Better yet, their leadership team provides personalized attention and support around the clock. That's something that is hard to find in a software company--but they want you to be successful, and so they are committed to answering any questions and addressing any issues you may have.

I can't say enough!

Pros

Ease of use. Everything is pretty self-explanatory and it provides everything from donor information to the actual gift certificates/vouchers you can print in the absence of a tangible item. Personalized, reliable support is amazingly helpful too!

Cons

It'd be great to run off complete lists of items that sold, who purchased them and how much they paid. Also, selling single items, like raffle tickets was a bit difficult last year, from what I can remember.

Tony C.

Non-Profit Preschool with yearly Gala & Silent Auction fundraiser

Reviewed on 2015/09/14

I was referred by another local Austin non-profit to the SchoolAuction platform while researching online event and silent auction software in 2014. After conducting product reviews with the sales staff for two other vendors I was very pleasantly surprised when I called and spoke to Roger.

One of the questions that Open Door was wrestling with was whether or not to implement mobile bidding. Keep in mind that this would be our first year using any event software. Our event had been growing in size and complexity and we wanted a tool that could give us competitive experiences with top tier non-profit events. Of course we wanted mobile bidding. Everyone was doing it. When I spoke to the other two auction software vendors they explained that mobile bidding would add between $1500 and $2500 to our annual licensing expense. Worse it was a scaling expense based on the amount of auction sales we had.

While discussing our needs with Roger he offered up that mobile bidding wasn't the silver bullet that event organizers sometimes thought it could be. It required more thought on infrastructure (how good would wifi / cell coverage be at the event) as well as creating an limitation on who would participate in the auction (would everyone feel comfortable bidding through their phones or could we staff auction volunteers with mobile devices to facilitate bidding). Our event, while growing, is still more intimate than commercial and we receive the majority of our ticket sales and donations via mail & check rather than online sales because that's how our donors prefer to interact with us. Would pushing the silent auction to a mobile-only bidding solution really help us? Now so much. At least not now.

I can't tell you how refreshing it was to know that the vendor I was talking to wasn't all that interested in up-selling me. It was really a conversation about right-sizing their features to our event. What's more SchoolAuction's pricing reflects that strategy. They offer flat fees rather than a small up front fee with scaling embedded costs. They don't force you to use their own payment processor with hidden fees.

Last thing, as a software developer myself I'm pleasantly surprised by the usability of the School Auction tools. The help is very informative and easy to navigate. The User Interface is straight-forward and logical. I'm able to on-board new event volunteers and staff with minimal explanation and training. Nice work.

Carol R.

Great option for Development Directors

Reviewed on 2016/07/12

This software was exactly what we were needing to make our processing faster and easier. Our parents loved the phone check-out system and it put less pressure on our check-out team and alleviated lines at the end. The credit card set-up was a bit confusing but in the end it worked great.

Pros

speed of system and ability for all my team members to access and edit the parts they are responsible for - and everything doesn't have to go thru my hands to get done!

Cons

It is very hard for the pick up team to know when the calling team has secured a donation. The pickup team has to keep checking thru all the potential donors every day since there isn't a mechanism to see updates and notes on who to ask for etc. because it all goes into the donors regular info instead of a place to put info just pertaining to that year. It was hard for most team members to understand that you have to go between the donors and the items.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thank you, Carol! This is excellent feedback!

Matt J.

3 Year Returning Customer

Reviewed on 2017/01/11

We have been a customer for 3 years, going on 4. To start with, the system had all of the base functionality that we needed to run our auction as is. Each year, we have used some of the new features (online check in/out, online bidding pre/post auction, etc) to improve our auction for our school community.

The support, both the online help features and the ability to call/email, has been the best part of using SchoolAuction.net. Each year we have new volunteers running the system, so having the tutorials really helps.

SchoolAuction.net has helped us to improve our auction each year.

Pros

Cons

The first 2 years we did not understand the difference between the Tacking and Item Numbers and how to change the Item Number using the Tables feature, which caused some headaches for tracking our physical items. Now that we know the difference, that issue is behind us.

Valerie W.

The best tool for optimizing your fundraiser

Reviewed on 2015/02/04

I initially looked into online and mobile bidding tools for our company's silent auction due to new logistic challenges. Specifically, the event was growing and with limited opportunities to maximize our event space, we needed a solution to improve flow and reduce lines at the silent auction tables and check-out station.

After conducting some research, SchoolAuction.net/TofinoAuctions.com clearly stood out as the best option. They offered all of the functionality we needed at a price that permitted us to maximize our fundraising and still provided exceptional customer service. Roger Devine gave us a thorough overview to ensure the software would meet our needs and that it would be a mutually beneficial relationship.

While the interface is very intuitive and easy to use, their staff walked me through the entire process -- from setting up the event page in the beginning, to adding auction items and establishing communication templates. They ensured I was set up for success. They scheduled meetings a week and even day prior to touch base and verify that I had all the tools and information I needed.

Their 24/7 support makes them an extension of your auction night team. I had a few last minutes questions and called into their support team, and my primary contact, Kris, was readily available to help with anything I needed. She was so gracious and patient even while I dealt with background noise and poor cell reception on my end.

We primarily used this service for the mobile bidding tool, so that our guests could place bids from the convenience of their seats. Our event staff walked around with iPads to assist those who had trouble placing bids on their own, but the vast majority of our guests were extremely comfortable bidding on their own. The convenience of this service allowed us to raise more funds than the previous year, despite a lower FMV (fair market value) total from our donated items. Close to two-thirds of our guests used the self check-out, minimizing the check-out line and permitting our guests to leave quickly when the event concluded.

Regardless of your experience with auctions or comfort level with technology, I would recommend this product. Roger, Kris, and the rest of the School Auction team will set you and your event up for success and optimize your fundraising potential.