SchoolAuction.net

Web-based software for volunteer-driven fundraising auctions

Monica M.

Clean, Updated Look to Event Software

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

For our annual fundraising event I decided to try a new software as our planning committee was looking for new ways to manage the event. We specifically loved the self check-in and out capabilities, the ease of entering catalog items and photos, and the ease of emailing guests. Another really nice aspect was the fact that we did not hire a cashiering service because it was easy to train volunteers to input sales at the event.

Pros

The software creates a clean, esthetically pleasing event website. The catalog looks fresh with updated design options compared to other auction softwares. It is pretty user friendly, easy to figure out. I loved the ease of sending out messages to attendees and I also loved the self check-in and self-check out components. There is no reason to hire a cashiering service for the night of the event because training volunteers to enter sales data is super easy. We loved that we could do this ourselves.

Cons

1. There is no way to enter attendees as couples. In other auction software, there are households in which two names can be entered. Each person within the household has a very succinct "profile" and then they are linked. This makes it easy to print name badges with the same bidder numbers etc. In my opinion, SchoolAuction really needs to address this issue.
2. I didn't like the look of the template of the receipts/thank you letter and it was super hard to manipulate to make it look decent. I would like it to look more like a regular letter with the receipt part in the body of the letter. It would be nice to have the ability to have more than one template.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Monica! As you get ready for next year, reach out to us to show you how to enter couples/households as attendees - it's a slightly different process than in some other systems.

Courtney W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Best Auction Software We've Used!

Reviewed on 2019/07/11

Overall we've had an amazing experience with SchoolAuction.net. We just renewed our subscription for the 3rd year and enjoy using it for not only our annual auction but for other fundraising events throughout the year. I would highly recommend this software over any other.

Pros

This software was created with the average computer user in mind but also gives the customization tools for a super user! It has a beautiful website for the bidding audience and a fully functional database with excellent reporting for the auction team. I would say the best thing about this software is its ease of use for everyone, our bidders, ticket buyers, donors, and especially our volunteer team. I don't have to spend a bunch of time training them how to use the software, it has a very detailed search system and walk through function so my staff can learn how to use it on their own.

Cons

There's a few minor things I have complaints about but I've brought them up to the customer service department and they are working on making changes to those areas of improvement.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Courtney! We really appreciate your feedback - stay tuned for announcements on the upgrades coming later this summer.

Robert B.

The best we've found - it does everything.

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

SchoolAuction.net has been an incredible upgrade from the software we used for a few years. It's a complete system that essentially provides everything you need in order to conduct an online and/or live auction, from selling tickets to selling items, assigning and printing bid sheets and bidder cards, as well as invoicing, tracking and receiving payments, and reconciliation. Essentially, it's a complete system. We compared many systems before converting to SchoolAuction.net 3 years ago, and once we chose this one, we havent looked back. Each year they have added new and exciting features (they even have mobile bidding and self-checkout with automated email reminders to pay), and their support is fast and clear. They also have very good tutorials and videos, which makes it easy for me to train new users each year (thank you for that, guys!).

As a system administrator for several small-to-medium sized clients, I have a great deal of experience with various types and scopes of business systems, including overall operational systems, online commerce, financial and more. I am impressed that this one system offers so many features and functions all in one program, including credit card transactions.

I give it an absolute "two-thumbs up"! I'm not impressed easily, but I'm definitely impressed with this program and their people.

Robert Brannan
Auction Admin and Online Auction Chair
2015, 2016, 2017 Auctions

Ben G.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

The software has helped us solve many of the pain points for performing accounting of our...

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

Pros

It is great to be able to use on the night of our auction. No more scrambling to crunch the numbers during our event and making guests wait while we do so before they need to pay at the end of the night. We have all our items and guests already input and some even have credit cards on file. Our silent auction and live auction items can all be assigned to guests within minutes of the close. Guests even have the option of providing a credit card in advance and we can push out invoices directly to their email. Guests can then confirm purchases and check out on their phones so they never even wait in line to pay at the end of the night.

Cons

We frequently input individual items received into the software and then later bundle them into baskets as part of a larger group. The software re-assigns the basket an item number and then re-uses the item number that was assigned to each individual item in the basket. This makes it difficult to track exactly which items are where and makes it tedious to search by name for an item within a basket. It also means that you can't confidently refer to an item by its number because chances are that it has changed later.

Sue C.

SchoolAuction.net has it all

Reviewed on 2015/02/12

I work for myself as a nonprofit event production manager in Northern California and in the two years since discovering SchoolAuction.net I have happily introduced it to three separate clients and been involved with three other organizations who also enjoy using this product. The team at SchoolAuction/TofinoAuctions have virtually thought of everything, and packed a ton of power into their user-friendly, intuitive program. Top that off with an affordable annual subscription fee, and ZERO transaction fees -- ! I hope to work with this organization again and again!

Aside from the product itself there is the dynamo known as Roger Devine. I cannot say enough about Roger -- his friendly manner, consistent professionalism, commitment to improving his product and his customer's experience with it. On the rare occasion that he does not pick up the phone on the first or second ring, he either calls right back or emails me with a detailed answer to whatever question I left on his voicemail. Rest assured SchoolAuction.net is not your average internet seller, where you suddenly find you are no longer able to reach the company after they have your deposit in hand. Roger and his team are dedicated to ensuring your success - period.

Roger was also instrumental in introducing several local organizations and from that introduction we have built an experienced pool of users who now swap volunteers at our annual fundraising events. It has made our check-in and check-out processes smoother and faster, and greatly reduced the need for training. All of our organizations learn more about the powerful options and shortcuts built into the program. This is critical for me in particular as I produce or support annual fundraisers for different clients whose management needs vary greatly in terms of which aspects of their events raise the most money, and where they need the most support. Brilliant!

Carabeth R.

Great Software!

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

Overall the program was great and I plan to keep using it. I've already recommended it to a few other people.

Pros

I loved this software, its easy to set up, and easy to manage all aspects of your auction. It was great to be able to have everything related to the event in one place.

Cons

The only issue we had was on the night of the auction when we were entering bids, it seemed like it was not working, but then we realized you could not use the tab button. It was a few minutes of total stress that the program wasn't working in the most important moment, but we called the support and it got figured out fast and we were back on track

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks for the referrals and the review! We are delighted you found it so helpful.

Amy F.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Makes Auction Life Easier

Reviewed on 2017/01/19

I can't imagine running a PTSA/School auction without this software. Its helped us organize and streamline the whole process. We use it to organize our items, lay out the auction tables, sell tickets and add ons, check people in and out, and sell remaining items online. We've seen them add features over time to improve the system. Last year we started using mobile check in and check out and that really made things easier for our team and our guests. It could be slightly more intuitive to use, but there is plenty of help text and videos if you take the time. The ability to copy data from one year to the next has been great too - easier to delete extra data than rekey it in.

Pros

Good end to end coverage, check in options

Cons

I bit complicated to learn the first time

Dena B.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

SchoolAuction.net has been a great event software for our nonprofit's needs!

Reviewed on 2016/11/16

SchoolAuction.net has been a great event software for our nonprofit's needs! We use the software for ticket sales and silent auction logistics, as well as running reports after the events. The backend of the site is very user friendly and the available support on event night has come in handy on several occasions. We would highly recommend this service to other nonprofits in need!

Pros

Ability to migrate date from a past event to a new event saves us time and gives us a great baseline for Auction Donors and previous guests

Cons

We have had to tweak some of the site features to meet the specific needs of our events, but the software techs have been very helpful in figuring out how best to make it still work for our needs

Gina L.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

SchoolAuction.net is good software, for a price

Reviewed on 2018/03/02

Great for auctions that have not used software in the past or for auctions that are bringing in loads of money and need many options. Overall a great product that is easy to use and I would recommend!

Pros

If you run a charity auction, software is A MUST. This software is easy to use and train others to use. It offers many options for selling items including live, silent and online. Charity auction has an easy to create customizable website. There are charts in this software that help with flow of event from getting started to pulling your final reports.

Cons

While not the most expensive auction software,the cost is considerably more than some competitors. You do have an opportunity to pass on credit card fees to people using credit cards at your event. Also, we had a hard time setting up our credit card vendor and linking our bank account for payment. (We did eventually get this figured out and our auction ran smoothly)

Niki R.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

School Auction/Event

Reviewed on 2016/06/16

This is our second year to use school auctions website. This year we used the mobile bidding and it was GREAT! for the price of the software it can not be beat!

Pros

easy to use (with support help on some things), the reports that are already setup are great, we can sell ANYTHING on the software - its a one stop shop for our needs.

Melissa S.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

We have used this software for our last two auctions we had and it is really great!

Reviewed on 2017/05/03

This software is really great for running your auction! You can sell tickets to your event, easily upload auction items, check in your guests on the night of the event, checkout is a breeze and they have every report you need to see where you're at with your auction.

Pros

We can sell tickets to our event on this site, track who purchased which auction item, the checkout process is easy, we can print bidding cards with guests names on them, it's easy to add auction items into the software...it's just a pretty user friendly site.

Cons

The only thing we've found we are not able to do with this software that we were able to do with our previous auction software was to print our auction booklet.

Andrea L.

SchoolAuction.net - Amazing Tool for Auctions!

Reviewed on 2011/02/11

I highly recommend SchoolAuction.net as a cost effective, easy to use auction management tool! Best wishes for a successful event...

Pros

Having used SchoolAuction.net two times over the past 3 years (our auction is every other year) I can't say enough positive things about the system and the support available. The registration and auction set up is very easy to create and manage, the timelines and email reminders are essential to staying on track and the online auction feature helped us raise even more more $$ after the actual auction date. We had multiple users entering data into the system (many who were very new to this type of tool and they were up and running with 20 minutes of training!) If you are planning an auction and have not considered using an online auction management tool, I urge you to think again and definitely look at using SchoolAuction.net.

Cons

At first, the system may seem overwhelming because it is so powerful and able to do so many things but don't let that stop you. You don't have to use ALL of the features the first time...just the ones that make the most sense for your event.

Celeste U.

This software was referred to our non-profit for our annual fund-raising auction.

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

Pros

This software is very user friendly and has great help sites and customer service. Set up is fairly straight forward and if you use it multiple years it allows for migrating data which greatly reduces set up time in consecutive years. We love the self-check in and check out options as it greatly reduces lines at the event. The online auction option is a nice tool and is very easy to navigate. Running credit cards and making transactions is very easy as is returning items and making changes to a transaction. It has been a great addition to our auction experience.

Cons

It has a mail merge option but is hard to customize and prints as one long document. Hard to eliminate duplicates or unwanted merges. The software allows for many reporting options, however, there are not enough customize options so you end up printing multiple reports.

Danni M.

So superior to Auction Pay, in every way...

Reviewed on 2011/03/10

Buy it now. You can try it out for free and so can your decision making team.... See how it works, it is so easy to use, everyone will be hooked. Procurement team, sales team, accounting team, chair.... There are goodies for everyone. It is a screaming deal.

Pros

superior product, it does everything you can think of, and some things you haven't. The online auction feature allows you to sell odds and ends, and it raises enough to more than pay for the software itself. It generates reports, receipts, thank you letters... You name it. It is cheaper than other products and the customer service is incredible. If I sound like a fan, it is bc I have labored for 20 years as an auction chair with terrible databases that frustrated me at every turn. This is the answer to that. No contract, so love it or leave it.... Quite nice, everyone I know is either using this or suffering thru the last year on their contract with AP.

Cons

Really none. They are brilliant, pleasant people who have the luxury brand in auction/ event software. You can't believe all the things it can do for you.

Leslie F.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Couldn't do an auction without SchoolAuction.net

Reviewed on 2017/01/11

This software does it all - tickets, entering/tracking donations, and running the complete auction night. I don't see how you could put on an auction without it!

Some ramp up, to begin with, but once you have the basic setup done, everything else is easy. Migrating from one year to the next means you only have to do the setup once.

Customer Service is excellent.

Pros

Does everything you need for an auction

Cons

Some ramp up, especially for auction chairs - you do need to have modern computer skills.

Lori M.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Love School Auction.net!

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

We have worked out all the issues when we first started and all good once we tweaked everything that needed to be done

Pros

Easy to use and work in. Able to contact the support people to help us if we have issues.

Cons

Nothing we are very happy with the software

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Lori. Working with schools like yours makes us really happy.

Evangeline P.

User Friendly for First-Timers

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Pros

Check-in and check-out process was clean and easy to train volunteers on. Worked both on computers and iPads providing options for our team.

Cons

There are times where the system isn't intuitive and finding the needed route of action was a bit buried.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Evangeline! We appreciate the feedback!

Allie M.

Don't Put On An Auction Without It

Reviewed on 2015/03/06

We hold an auction every fall for approximately 175 people and I wouldn't dream of taking this task on without SchoolAuction.net. The software is very user-friendly and intuitive, allowing us to train new volunteers with ease every year. The admin tools streamline all our processes and keep us organized and I can't speak highly enough of the customer support. The SchoolAuction.net customer service excels at professional, friendly and timely responsiveness. The support staff actually monitors the progress of your auction from behind the scenes to anticipate any potential snags before they happen, eliminating any possible problems on the big night. The team and software are so good that we were actually able to successfully hold an auction through a power-outage without missing a step. We will be customers for as long as we put on auctions and know that our fundraising success is completely tied to the brilliance of the SchoolAuction.net team.

Cherstin A.

User-Friendly Website Allows for Smoothly Run Event

Reviewed on 2015/03/18

I started my planning having no auction experience, other than attending the one our school did last year. As one of the chairs of this year's event, I was naive to all that goes into putting on the show. This website provided valuable timelines, to-do lists, and simple, straight-forward instructions (that made complete sense) which guided my step-by-step to the finish line. The video tutorials were super helpful, the list of help topics was accessed easily when needed, and being able to look up my own questions proved extremely valuable. I found this site to be simple to navigate and set up with many helpful reminders along the way. The only area in which I felt it was lacking was in personalizing the site. Colors were nice to play around with, but to add an image/background was difficult as I don't know that "language". Also, to not be able to adjust fonts didn't allow for the custom feel I would have liked.

Beth P.

Great for fundraising

Reviewed on 2019/07/12

Pros

Functionality; online fundraising capabilities, reports

Cons

Setting up banners, backgrounds and look/feel of online site

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Beth! We're introducing some new online layout options/tools this fall; be sure to check with us for the details.

Danielle H.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

SchoolAuction.net Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Our PTL was looking for a more automated and online system to run our annual auction. In prior years it had been done very manually. My team and I loved the software and the efficiencies it introduced. It was a unanimous decision to continue to use it!

Pros

It is very intuitive and easy to learn and use. It made our school auction much more efficient and streamlined. It was great to be able to access the data throughout the school year.

Cons

The event links could be a lot shorter and intuitive.

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Danielle!

Jamie D.

One stop shop for Auctions

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

Pros

Easy for donors to input and then simply have me "approve" the donation. Look is easy for parents and your service staff is prompt with replies.

Cons

Receipting - which there was more customizing options. Donors/Users - wish they could be the same vs two separate "accounts"

Response from SchoolAuction.net

Thanks, Jamie!

Danni M.

Makes every single part of the process SO easy

Reviewed on 2015/02/01

Okay, so if you've done a lot of auctions, you used to have to 'create' a lot of paperwork. This software does it all, and it lets you customize fields, which makes almost anything possible. It saves so much time, and does the work for you, including thanks, tax letters, old receipts when people inevitably lose theirs. Usually, they already have one in their inbox somewhere. Anyway- also great, the portal for ticket sales, reminders to guests about the who/what/where etc. I've had a few times I couldn't find some feature, and when I emailed the tech support, had a solution same day. Have used other softwares for auction, this one is far and away the best. I've chaired probably 25 auctions in the last 20 years, so seen quite a few approaches. This one is the best.

Maria W.

Harvest Sale

Reviewed on 2011/02/14

SchoolAuction.net is a great program with a staff that is second to none with tech support. They will bend over backwards to help you fine tune their product to meet your needs and then continue that same service with excellent customer support! I would recommend them to any fundraising group. The reports generated from the SchoolAuction.net/Garris Chapel site for our annual fundraiser will help us make it even more successful in 2011. Thanks again.

Pros

The input is calculated in realtime.
The reports are very detailed.
Is user friendly.
Existing data was transferred seamlessly by company.
Customer support is superb.

Cons

Just a few minor issues that will be resolved before we use the program in 2011

Kristen E.

Very easy to use

Reviewed on 2016/06/24

I used this product for the first time this year (although others at our school used previously; we've renewed our subscription a few times now) and found it helpful and easy to use. The check-out process was particularly user friendly and fairly intuitive. In the run-up to our event I used the online help feature and was very happy with the response time and assistance provided.