datapine

Business Intelligence & Dashboards for KPI-Driven Companies

Moritz H.

Easy to use advanced analytics and visualizations

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

datapine is a tool that will certainly help data analysts as well as business users who need to build complex analytical procedures and deliver fast results to various stakeholders. Their customer service is very approachable, every time I needed help, they would always go the extra mile and I have to appreciate that. Fast performance, ease of use, and advanced features both in analysis and visualizations made my experience positive and productive.

Pros

The data analysis features are impressive. I could easily connect through their data connectors option, and immediately start building my analysis. The 2 modes, a visual and SQL interface enabled me to easily switch if I want to build the queries on my own or drag and drop values into the analyzer. The simplicity of creating complex analysis and visualizing through dashboards that have many interactive options like drill-downs, widget linking, and hierarchical filters have really stood out for me, but also advanced analysis such as predictive analytics. I can also add my own calculated fields, build formulas, and save them for future use.

Cons

At the moment they don’t offer many AI / Machine Learning features. I hope this will change in the future.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics

All-in-one BI software for the entire company

Reviewed on 2019/12/17

Pros

I am a BI manager in a medium-sized retail business. We struggled a long time to get all our retail data (online and offline) into one central analytics platform, from where we can share our analysis results easily within the company with different departments (sales, marketing, customer service, procurement, etc.). We tried different solutions on the market and finally decided for datapine because they offer a powerful analytics solution, where most of the features are also easy-to-use. For non-technical business users, the intuitive drag and drop interface makes it easy to visualize data on their own. But also the dashboard interface is great, which offers viewers quite a lot of features to take a closer look at the data to answer concrete business questions ad-hoc. For analysts like me, there is also a “SQL mode”, where I can write database queries on my own or simply copy & paste existing ones.
Furthermore, datapine offers quite modern features such as predictive analytics and intelligent data alerts. Even these advanced features are quite easy to set-up with a few clicks and you don’t need to build your own data models as you can take advantage of their intelligent algorithms that are based on machine learning or neural networks. For us, their forecasts and automated data alerts were quite accurate. This helped us to automate a lot of analysis/monitoring processes, which were done manually before.

Cons

You cannot test a (customized) on-premise versions for free. Their standard 14-day free trial refers only to their SaaS solution.

Powerful & easy-to-use BI solution with great customer support

Reviewed on 2020/09/04

All in all, we are super satisfied with datapine. It enabled even non-technical employees within our company to take advantage of business intelligence and get more data driven.

Pros

I like most their smart user-interface, that's really intuitive. Especially within their Analyzer section you have a bunch of powerful self-service analytics features such as conditional formatting, comparisons vs last periods, predictions, drilldowns etc. The dashboard section leaves nothing to be desired with great interactive dashboard functions.

Cons

I think datapine really keeps up with the time, as they add new features on a regular basis. Some features like their "SQL mode" needs SQL knowledge. However, until know, most of my queries I was able to build by drag & drop and didn't need the manual SQL mode.

Modern business dashboards at your fingertips

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

Pros

I’m just a “viewer” in datapine. That means that my colleague added me on his account and I got
access to various dashboards covering different business development topics such as marketing and
sales. I didn’t do the analysis or created the dashboards on my own, but simply used the final
dashboards. What I like is the visual interface which is quite simple but powerful, the possibility to
access dashboards from anywhere no matter the device (I use it on my tablet a lot), no matter
where I’m located – at the office, at home or in meetings. My favorite dashboard options are the
filters and drill-downs: I can easily filter all the data I’m interested in and drill into pieces of
information to answer all the specific questions I might have and take a closer look at what
happened at some point in time. The access to these dashboards made my day-to-day work way
more effective.

Cons

As I didn’t set up the dashboard and I’m currently just a viewer, I’m not sure how complicated the
set up was. I can only say that working with the final dashboard is quite convenient and saves me a
lot of time.

• Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great for monitoring and tracking financial KPIs

Reviewed on 2020/11/18

Overall, my experience with datapine has been very constructive. After I have explained my use case, they were more than helpful to help me with the setup and assist me in getting familiar with the product and its features.

Pros

I like the interface, a healthy chart library, interactive possibilities and the overall results I have achieved: great dashboards and reports. The software makes complex tasks much easier and I can even incorporate alarms that will send me a notification if a value is exceeding a target or is too much below. I have all my financial numbers in a single place, and I don’t need to look for other solutions to incorporate into my existing financial management processes.

Cons

Like it is with most business software, you need to get used to it at the begginning. As far as I can remember, there was not a lot onboarding information available. But maybe, they changed this already.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy integration, great support & powerful features

Reviewed on 2020/02/10

Pros

The initial integration of our data sources was way easier than expected. We use their
(optional) data warehouse, that increased our querying and analyzing speed a lot. In general, their
product is stable and reliable. We never had any critical issue in 1.5 years. From the users / viewers
within our company I just received positive feedback, especially about their interactive dashboards.

Cons

They develop quite many new features or extend the functioning of existing ones. However,
the announcement of these updates is not always in a timely manner.

Thomas M.

Best KPI Tool in the market

Reviewed on 2015/02/17

If you want to revolutionize your business practices, then datapine is the tool to do it. Use the insights you get the most out of your BI setup. It'll keep you on top of your work and even makes data visualization fun.

Matt F.

A great way to gather and monitor data

Reviewed on 2015/04/26

Great data visualization tool that makes it easy to gather a business's most important data and keep tabs on it.

• Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great marketing BI solution for busy marketeers

Reviewed on 2020/11/18

The overall experience with datapine is quite positive and productive. They helped us with the setup,
explained the basics, provided resources, and enabled us to perform analysis on our own. Every
question was answered in a timely manner, and their support has been great!

Pros

I really like the possibility to create multiple KPI dashboards and link to each other for different marketing
channels and campaigns. The interface is easy to use and I can simply drag and drop my variables to
create specific KPIs. On the dashboards you have many helpful interactive features, such as
drilldowns and in-dept filter options. And let’s not forget about reports: I can automate the recurring
reports (daily, weekly, monthly) and save a lot of time and resources.

Cons

Some features are not that easy-to-use. For example, for the offered SQL mode, you need to know
SQL. Luckily, I was able to build all needed KPIs in the drag and drop interface.

Korbinian H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great for our technical requirements and seamless connection

Reviewed on 2020/08/06

Generally speaking, our experience with datapine is more than positive. They provide us a product that meets all of our technical requirements and a smooth transition to the cloud environment. Data sources are easily connected, and on the management level, the analysis of the data is easy once you get used to it, and all the innovative dashboard features are quite impressive.

Pros

Actually, the agility it provides. As a CTO and founder, I have to keep a close eye on numerous technical and business processes that will enable me to scale my business and keep the pace on the market. This software managed to consolidate all of our data sources, and afterwards, we could scale the product based on our specific requirements. We connected our database(s), CRM, ERP, and the complete process was quite seamless. They provide flexibility and performance speed that we’re really satisfied with, and I have to say the software delivered more than we expected.

Cons

If I have to specify, my team would like to have more dashboard templates specific to the hotel industry. They do provide a healthy number of built-in templates, but it would certainly help us if we would have multiple ones that would suit our industry better than the already suggested within the tool.

• Industry: Security & Investigations

Perfect if you want fast results!

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

I was able to set everything on a single screen, and everyone could interact with charts and graphs, directly ask questions, and stop thinking about report creation since datapine did it all automatically! This automation saved me at least 20h per week and we could focus on what matters the most - the data in front of us.

Pros

datapine exceeded my expectations in many ways. I was able to send weekly automated reports directly to my partner and managers, and each report had the information they needed, there was no overlapping data nor the confusion as with standard spreadsheets filled with numerous rows and columns. I had to select my KPIs, drag and drop them onto the dashboard, and select the interval of automatic reporting process (I choose weekly for our meetings).

Cons

It took me a while to get around all the features, but their customer service was very helpful to answer all my questions. I don't need (or use) SQL, but if I hire an analyst in the future, it's useful to know they also cover some advanced analytical features.

Awesome interactive features and options

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

The overall experience has been great. From the onboarding process to answering questions from
our analysts and team members (both beginners and advanced users) they helped us and patiently
led us through the tool, its features ,and what it can do for our business. As a CEO, it was important
for me to find software that will act as our partner, and datapine’s team is one of the best we have
ever worked with!

Pros

We were definitely impressed by the interactive features such as drill-downs, chart zooms, widget
linking, filter features, tooltips, etc. There are so many options and possibilities that we don’t need
any other data analysis and visualization tool.

Cons

I would prefer more options in the mobile version but the team stated they continuously develop
new features so we will definitely follow-up.

• Industry: Market Research

Powerful Self-Service Analytics and Dashboard Reports

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

In general, it made my reporting practices way more efficient and interactive, and I got really good feedback (internally and externally).

Pros

It's a great solution to build interactive dashboards that can be used for your (automated) reporting. I really like their drag & drop interface in the ‘Analyzer’, because it is intuitive to use. I had no real experience with BI tools before but most of the features I was able to explore on my own and otherwise, their support was always really helpful (as well as the tutorials). The dashboards itself have all the features I needed, and I saved a lot of time for my ongoing reports.

Cons

Actually, I was satisfied since day 1 of the trial and continued to use the tool on an ongoing basis. If you want to find something ‘bad’, there are some advanced analytics features where you need to know SQL. But I guess that’s the case for other BI tools as well.

A true self service analytics solution

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

Pros

As part of my training, I spent a few weeks in the controlling department. There I was in
contact with BI tools for the first time. One of our analysts gave me a short demo and afterwards I
started with my own analyses. Of course, they were quite simple, but I really like the user interface
of datapine’s software. Even without any analytics knowledge I was able to visualize data and create
dashboards after a few hours.

Cons

Since I still have no further experience in the BI area, I can compare the software badly with
others.

Thomas M.

Far better Money for Value than the Big Guys

Reviewed on 2016/08/03

We are using datapine for live manamgent reporting directly from our various databases.
Once setup it saves a lot of manual reporting work and keeps everyone on the same level.

Robert U.

Outstanding KPI Tool

Reviewed on 2015/03/17

It blows me away every time. Quality BI tool, easy to pick up, highly secure and crunches data like a boss. I heartily recommended!

Dan E.

Far exceeded by any competitor

Reviewed on 2018/09/10

Pros

data importing system. Once upon a time they had a product that worked.

Cons

Their product at one point was competitive but little has changed over the years except for their ever-increasing pricing. Tableau and Power BI is far more powerful, cheaper and easier to use. Be wary, they require 4 months notice just to cancel their contract. Give them anything less and they will renew you automatically for another two years. (unheard of)

Response from datapine

Thanks for your review! We're very sorry if you encountered difficulties while using our software since we want to make sure each customer receives the best possible service and experience. We're constantly improving our UX, also by listening to our customers' feedback which is extremely important in the current and future development of our product. We're dedicated to offer a truly self-service tool, and regularly develop new features, such as our recent self-service predictive analytics, somehow unique within the market. Our software has changed in the last years, but the focus on our customers is always one of our priorities, therefore it's quite a misfortune that you didn't reach out to us before your cancellation.

We also try to deliver our contracts with clear termination time and we advise each customer to contact us if there are any doubts. In your specific case, the longer cancellation time was because of a 2-year contract, that included pricing discounts as well.

Fabian L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great Dashboard Reporting Options

Reviewed on 2020/06/23

Well-structured tabs and simple access to different options made my experience with datapine effective right from the start. I could also find advanced features and coding possibilities, but I was satisfied with the visual builder and made my visualizations from there. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the product and the overall experience. I will continue using datapine as it brought numerous benefits to my presentations.

Pros

Dashboards and reports are remarkable. I can easily choose from one of their templates or create my own, and then schedule the delivery through a password protected URL each week. The data is updated automatically so I don’t need to think about creating a report manually ever again.

Cons

I don’t have enough educational materials from them to write my own SQL queries so I would like to see more interactive tutorials. But to be honest, until now I was able to build all needed queries with the drag & drop interface.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Modern BI Dashboard Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/01

Pros

With datapine, the amount of manual work for KPI-monitoring and reporting is reduced to
a minimum. I’m able to automize the complete data analytics process very easily. I really trust
the generated data and insights and have no doubts there. In my opinion, the biggest strengths
of datapine are their interactive dashboards as well as the intuitive user interface, that can be
easily handled by business users like me, too.

Cons

At the moment, datapine offers a 14-day free trial. In my opinion it would be better to
have more time to test the product and all its features in detail, especially if you take a look at
other tools, too. But actually, other tools also don’t have longer trial periods. Obviously, it’s a
standard that needs to change.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Actionable Insights for HR

Reviewed on 2019/12/16

Pros

Working in HR means using various channels to support internal employees and hiring the best possible candidates. We needed a powerful tool that is able to put all of our data under a single roof and provide us with up to date, most valuable information. We set up 2 core processes: creating live dashboards and automated reports. I’m not an analyst but the ease of use made me believe that I actually am! Creating for example a recruiting dashboard is a simple and fast process if you know which KPIs to implement, and the reporting schedule takes just a few clicks. Each person in the department increased their productivity and our meetings are now filled with real-time data with an instant look in the past just by clicking on one of their dashboard options. Not to mention how much time we saved. I fully recommend datapine.

Cons

If you want to look at the dashboard on your mobile, you need to adjust the view in the desktop version.

Clemens D.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Great product!

Reviewed on 2017/11/21

In the beginning the tool website was quite slow, but the steadily improved the service. Right now i'm super happy.

Pros

I like the usability of the product. The UI and UX is amazing, customer support is good and they are launching new features quite often.