Kiddom

3,4
3,4
4,4
Kelli C.

Great experience, extremely useful.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Allows me to personalize instruction fairly easily.

Pros

The flexibility of assigning different tasks to different students, as well as the deep resource pool. It's a great way to personalize learning in a fairly simple manner. Works great for projects, as well.

Cons

Can be a bit buggy when logging students in (sometimes the app freezes). There are also some linked resources (primarily from CK-12) that don't work well. Could use a way to integrate questions/responses, grading, and link embedding directly into assignments.

Jordan M.
Industry: Education Management

Helping us through a difficult Fall

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

Hi, I am a 4th grade teacher who started using Kiddom this fall in full distance learning. It has been an great decision overall (although I do not really know about how much it costs).
Here are the things that make it strong:
1. It is a good mix of versatile vs easy to use for kids- meaning, I can largely change it for what I want, but it functions pretty easily for student.
2. Grading is really easy- you can input MC and have them graded for you, or put grading notes for other teachers.

Cons

1. My school bought Kiddom to use for its partnership with EL (a Lit curriculum). Although we do use Kiddom successfully for Lit, the EL resources are difficult to navigate. Honestly, this is probably more of a problem with EL than it is with Kiddom.
2. Creating your own activities/lessons is time consuming. It takes a while to input each question individually and does not have a copy/past feature. This would be really helpful as many of the questions that I ask follow a similar format, and I need to input them manually each time.
3. My students largely are all on Chromebooks (and therefore the same type of device), but the interface on their screens occasionally looks different (due to sizing, etc). this has caused some confusion with kids.
4. We tried to write an essay on Kiddom this week and it was a struggle. Navigating between different assignments is not really possible for many of our kids and navigating within an assignment is fairly awkward as the questions can stretch or shrink if you click on them. We are opting to using Googledocs for any larger writing assignments, but still love Kiddom for daily work.

Madison D.
Industry: Education Management

From a Biology teacher: good in a pinch but room for improvement

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Overall, Kiddom has proved to be a very useful resource during this challenging year. I think there could be a few simple fixes that would make a WORLD of difference for teacher-usefulness.

Pros

I think the basic idea of Kiddom is great! It has definitely been useful this year as a relatively simple way to relay lessons and assignments to students. As a type-A personality teacher, the organization of Kiddom is fantastic (classes, units, then lesson plans). That part of Kiddom was obviously well-thought out with teacher-friendliness in mind.

Cons

Limitations to certain features frustrate me and cost me precious time. 1st) If I need to edit an assignment I have already assigned to my classes, I have to edit it, then delete it from every individual class (that is especially frustrating), then re-assign it to every individual class. Maybe I have misunderstood how to assign lessons to my kids, but it seems like there should be something more time-effective than editing, deleting, then re-assigning to every individual period. 2nd) There should be a more teacher-friendly way for students to submit assignments. I tried making a submit button for their assignments, but found it to be, again, not a time-effective process so I eventually got frustrated and gave up. My distance learners use Microsoft Teams to turn in my assignments (which is also a lot of clicks but it was more teacher-friendly than Kiddom, so I rolled with it). 3rd) There needs to be a way to assign lessons to every section of my class with only one click. I get frustrated with dragging an assignment over to every single class when the assignment is the same for each class. Microsoft Teams lets you create one assignment then choose which classes you'd like to assign it to. 4th) I would really appreciate being able to share lessons that I've created on Kiddom with the other teachers in my department and them be able to push these lessons directly out to their students (without having to copy/paste my lessons into their curriculum or create questions I made).

Allison J.

New and Happy

Reviewed on 2020/11/21

The customer service is top notch!

Pros

It is an easy way to share the curriculum with my distance learners.

Cons

Some parts are cumbersome. Some things aren’t easy to share with families, use.

Maria A.
Industry: Education Management

A middle school math review

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

I have had a general good experience with Kiddom, but I have to say that at the beginning when I was just learning the system as well as my students, we needed a lot of support from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] to be able to really get to know it. The system is not friendly by itself at the very beginning. I think for online learning it works, but I am not sure if we would use it if we had the physical books in the classroom. Hopefully more automatic graded practice could be included to extend its benefits.

Pros

I liked how Kiddom helped me and my students turn in and grade work during the pandemia online learning. What I like the most is that the Open up resources are directly assigned to the students and sometimes apps like Geogebra are inserted to help students learn. I also like the fact that teachers can give comments to their students and how to improve their work. Even though I have not used much the data reviews, I think they are valuable resources to see how the students are growing.

Cons

I don't like that I have to assign as many times as classes I have the same work with different dates to my different class periods. This really consumes time. I don't like that in order to assign work I have to scroll down up the present unit I am which consumes time. I also don't like that I have to grade the assignments to be able to get data from the data. I wish some automatic features were there to provide with automatic data without me having to grade every single assignment my students take. I don't like that sometimes when students change device the system does not allow them to enter until they remove cookies in their devices. I also don't like that if I change something that change is reflected also to my colleague when we are sharing the same curriculum. Finally, I wish that when students did something in the apps, Kiddom could keep their work because if students do not take screenshots, their work is not saved. Uploading images takes a lot of time from them.

Amy B.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Kiddom in the Elementary Classroom

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Overall, Kiddom was very stressful at first! haha BUT I do feel that once you got into it and learned the software, it was very easy to use and actually offers a lot of features! I know this is true with most software and digital things as I know they are forever evolving and changing and updating. I truly appreciate Kiddom and the staff for all they have done to keep us engaged with our students during this crazy time and also keeping Kiddom updated so that we can continue to do so.

I will admit, we were very overwhelmed and frustrated at first, but all things considered, I think Kiddom has made our hybrid model of Distance Learning flow more smoothly than had our district chosen Google Classroom or another feature.

Thank you so much for all you guys (and gals) have done to keep us in the loop and up to date with the technology!

Pros

Being able to assign things to students is obviously beneficial. I like that we can reassign something to an individual kid too. I enjoy being able to communicate with them through the site as well. I also appreciate the updates as we requested them to make it run more smoothly overall. The way it links to our Clever accounts is also a great feature that saved us a lot of time in the midst of all the pandemic madness.

Cons

I wish we would have received training on this prior to when we did. We were thrown into it blindly and honestly, it was not easy to follow or understand at first. Having a training feature like new apps have would have been helpful that walks you through where everything is. It also took longer than we hoped for "multi-select" to be an option. It is now which is awesome though! At my school, we created "PLC classes" so that we could collaborate and share documents and assignments we had made with our grade level instead of each person doing that individually. Having a collaboration option would have been helpful.

Laura B.

Elementary ESL use

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

We're all learning during this school year, so I want to extend some grace and flexibility to the team at Kiddom. However, training to use the software was minimal to nonexistent and the software was not very intuitive. I think Kiddom would benefit from adding educational experts to their team as well as data security experts.

Pros

User interface functions on all browsers and all devices. Ability to embed video.

Cons

- Unable or very difficult to share activities or units with other teachers in my building
- Creating an activity that asks students to record themselves, they are unable to see/read the prompt as they make the recording because the recording function blocks view of the window.
- Unable to schedule assignments to push out to students on certain days of the week - all assignments can be completed as soon as they are loaded, even if students are not ready for them or have not completed other assignments.
- Unable to copy/paste activities from one curriculum to another
- Unable for students to physically / visually manipulate activities within kiddom (for example, drag and drop features available to students on google slides via google classroom)
- Submitting a photo of work is listed as an "open ended" response and can be problematic for students
- Adding students must be done from student end and cannot be done from teacher end
- All assignments look identical on timeline, no thumbnail options for pre-literate students
- Chat box is very annoying always blocking access to curriculum that I want to add to timeline
- Classroom page is visible on web browser but not on app

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Gina michelle G.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Kiddom's Pro's and Con's

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Lessons are mostly ready and available for every OUR unit and lesson. However, I have had to edit every lesson to add Desmos slides so students could work interactively plus Google Forms to grade each skill and standard with more accuracy.

Pros

Lessons are ready to use. There is an attempt to collect data about students' standard proficiency . However, the data turns out inaccurate when students do not complete the assigned work.

Cons

The software is not very user friendly in the sense of having to assign the lessons to each group individually instead of offering the option of assigning to all groups at once. To find lessons, user has to scroll all the way down to units and then lessons instead of having a search window to find lessons right away. Parents cannot be invited to be part of the platform. There are no options to have interactive lessons or the option for teachers to see what students are doing in real time at a glance during remote learning. To bridge this deficiency, I have added Desmos lessons to the Kiddom activities.

Chara W.

Review for Kiddom from and Educator

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

*The way it looks
*It is easy to embed videos or other interactive programs such as Padlet, Nearpod, or Microsoft forms
*It is easy to create assignments and activities
*There is a new color coding feature for the assignments which I think is meant to indicate when new assignments have been submitted. But I do not know what the colors mean, it was never clearly explained (which is a con).

Cons

*It is not easy to upload pictures. They have to be saved and uploaded, instead of copy and pasted.
*You cannot assign the lessons to multiple classes at once. The assignments must be assigned one class at a time, which is time consuming.
*Typing quiz questions in is tedious. It would be easier if the questions could be copied and pasted in, and then autogenerated. A good example of this is on Plickers.com.
*Assignments cannot be removed or ended (one of the most frustrating features).

Kelli D.

Classroom Teacher review of Kiddom for distance learning

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

This software was thrust upon us with very little time or training, so I feel I wasn't introduced to it in the best way and given time to really learn. That being said I've done most of the learning about the software on my own. It is fairly easy for teachers, not easy at all for students in terms of understanding how to do a complete assignment. I was disappointed it lets students "Submit" work without doing any work. I would also like to see students be able to write directly on attached documents and submit for a grade.

Pros

I like the look of the software and website, and the fact that it integrates with our student attendance/information system. I like that you can list lessons by days and title them appropriately.

Cons

It does not allow for students to write on attached documents and then save.
It does not allow you to look at a whole class' work on one assignment simultaneously.
The option to "Submit" or "Mark as Done" without having to do any work is the worst. Students shouldn't be able to click "Submit" or "Mark as Done" if an attachment is required or questions are to be answered.
It is not seamless in allowing you to go back and forth from class to class.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Nicole P.

Free planner and gradebook that helps me track standards easily

Reviewed on 2018/06/19

It makes my whole workflow as it should be: in one place. If only it can grade essays! ;) It has made tracking student progress really easy. I can understand how students are doing on individual standards in real time and it has been a good way to go back to student evidence.

Pros

I used Google really briefly because I wanted my middle school students to be able to view assignments online, but I didn't like it. I'm loving Kiddom because I can plan directly in the web app, drag the assignment to assign, and share it with students. So much better for my workflow and the design is intuitive.

1. STANDARDS /GRADEBOOK: You can attach and TRACK standards right there in the app: it automatically generates reports, which students can see too. Saves me time generating progress reports.

2. PLANNER: I can plan and assign in one view: plan on the left and then drag it into "Timeline" to assign it.

3. DIFFERENTIATION: I can make a personalized list of assignments for a student; assign them something from the library as an extension or remediation, or flip the classroom by giving them a video as a lesson.

4. COLLABORATION: You can share the assignments with other teachers to keep on the same page and collaborate on modifying some assignments.

Kiddom is really simple and intuitive for students to use on a laptop or app, too. Their support is really responsive and super helpful. I only got started this year, but already looking forward to using it next year, too!

Cons

If anything, I would love to have a discussion tool and quiz maker that can put the grade directly into my grade book.

Brenda W.
Industry: Education Management

Good product, with anticipation of continued improvements

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

It has been pretty good so far, but I am still learning. I have created content, but as I learn more, I want to reorganize things, but that isn’t possible yet. I would love to be able to drag a lesson or activity into a different unit, or just duplicate a lesson/activity within a unit that is very similar to a previous one. I would also love to be able to “mass grade” an assignment, then just go back and change a few grades manually.

Pros

I’m still learning, but I like the concept of having the courses, then units, and lessons, and activities. I also like that I can just link other lessons or activities (Forms, videos, etc.) into the lessons. I like that it is linked to our roster of student so that new students are automatically added to the class and I don’t have to annually add them.

I like it enough that I have not given up on it, knowing that development is still happening.

Cons

- inability to organize lessons/activities after they are created (rearrange a lesson as you are working on it, i.e. re-order questions, insert a question that you forgot...)
- inability to print a lesson activity for someone who needs a hard copy (limited or no internet)
- inability to duplicate a lesson, then tweak it for a different unit.

The mobile app version, so far, is useless. I was originally only able to *see* what was there, then recently found the ability to *grade* from the app. However, when I went into my desktop, none of the grades were “submitted” - I still had to go through each student and actually click “Submit.”

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Amy W.

Working with Kiddom

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Very good, friendly and helpful. Tech support is usually quick to respond.

Pros

Very user friendly for students and helps to deliver quality content much more easily than other online platforms

Cons

There are some functions I want to have available such as duplicating/copying assignments.

Melody T.

Kiddom from a Teacher POV

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Overall, I am not super happy with Kiddom. I listed many of our issues above in the cons. I can't say I would recommend it to any teacher peers.

Pros

I like how things are broken into subjects, so students are able to easily access the content.

Cons

I do not like that you can't click on a child's name and see what has been completed by him/her. You have to click the assignment, and then click the child's name to see what was entered.

I do not like that if a child forgets to hit submit, it looks as if they did not complete it at all. There should be an in progress area. Or their name should switch colors. Or honestly, anything.

I do not like how time consuming it is to enter multiple choice items in. You have to click to add another letter, and half the time it randomly disappears. Click the letter for each item, and it is always delayed. It takes a considerable amount of time to enter even five questions for a quick exit ticket. The letter choices of ABCD should automatically come up, and then people have the option to choose less if necessary.

I hate how to have to click a subject, and then assignment, and then scroll through to see who turned things in. My team and I talk often about how amazing it would be to be able to login and get an actual overview of what had been done that day.

Anthony L.

Pleasant and usable

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

We were looking for a good way to get students and classes grouped for Flipped Learning and this was a great solution that worked well across two schools. Overall, I'm very happy.

Pros

It's cross-platform availability, the fact that students can install it on their smartphones; especially now it's available on either iOS or Android as well as desktop. The ease of creating a class and how students can add themselves without a big fuss.

Cons

I cannot duplicate planned curriculums across classes, I have to add it all again manually which is a massive pain when I work across two different schools but am teaching more or less the same level and curriculum.

Heaven D.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Kiddom makes setting up lessons for distance AND in person students so EASY!

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

The best part of this software is that I can upload my curriculum once and assign it or re-assign it as needed to students. I can use it to in place of sub plans and students aren't missing out on high quality instructions. It is easy to access and understand. Plus, I can quickly assess their mastery of standards.

Cons

Integration was difficult at first because as adults, we don't often like change. However, Kiddom has worked to meet the needs of teachers across the district. I do wish the texts for announcements were able to be edited, like change colors, sizes, and /or bolded because students tend to miss important dates and things.

Julie V.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Kiddom still a work in progress with great potential

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Kiddom has potential but I believe was released and used by teachers without being fully vetted. There are so many needs that are unmet and several features available at the start that are entirely not useful. The emphasis on testing and grading within the system are not very useful when it does not integrate with grade management outside of the kiddom platform. The inability to backup or retain files (work) outside of kiddom makes establishment of curriculum less attractive.

Pros

The customer service is extremely responsive. Features are being constantly upgraded in response to needs. It has great potential with the better features being added.

Cons

The rolling out of new features leads to surprises when accessing the platform. Changes are happening weekly and mostly result in improvement to user interface however its difficult to mediate student use as a teacher when the interface changes.
Material created in Kiddom has no use outside of the platform. As teachers develop material, creating in a proprietary platform, in which nothing can be used outside Kiddom is incredibly unattractive.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kristine M.

Reflection of a 7th grade math teacher

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

During covid, we have had to go paperless, and teach blended classes (online and in person). Have the OUR readily available to all students, with common naming has been HUGE. The support for learning and developing our classes has been great, Ross is exceptional and accommodates our time difference, and everyone helps find solutions or provides instruction to meet our needs.

Cons

Since I am a first time user, and we are in the middle of the all the Covid Drama, I have not had adequate time to really embrace this, and making do as best I can. I also have found that many of the additional materials are "examples" that to use we need to join and pay a fee. I would rather not wasting my time looking at activites only to find out they are not available.

Haylee E.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Using Kiddom to teach distance learning studnets

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Overall, Kiddom has been great to use this past few months moving to distance learning. My students had an easy time figuring out how to use it. I love that they are continuing to update Kiddom, and make it better for us.

Pros

I like that on Kiddom I am able to make my assignments under the curriculum in advance, and then not assign them until the day I need them. I also like that my colleagues are able to share assignments we have made on Kiddom to help with the work load.

Cons

What I do not like about Kiddom is that if you make a chart as an answer choice, you have to make it in the answer in order for students to write their answers in. My students accidently hit the back space all the time and then their whole chart is deleted from the assignment and they do not know what their question is.

Jeff P.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great idea for a product, but company still needs time to develop.

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Not great. Our school system committed to this product over others due to the price of the software. Students have consistently been able to access the software through many of their devices, however, Kiddom has not provided a consistent platform for work submission from students. This is problematic because teaching is all about feedback to promote learning. If students can't consistently submit their work, there is no way for them to get feedback.

Pros

The main purpose I was able to use Kiddom for was work submission. The assignments in Kiddom are well organized in the software and easy for students to access.

Cons

Kiddom is obviously a beta company. They have a lot of issues to work through before become a viable product. There are issues ranging from image submission to assessment design. For example, Kiddom is still working through their "randomization" code for multiple choice answers. Currently this functionality is offered, but doesn't work.

The idea behind the product is solid and well needed in schools. It will take time, however, for Kiddom to work through all their issues.

Natasha V.

Kiddom in the Age of Covid

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Overall, my experience has been decent. It hasn't been the best, but there was huge learning curve at the start. However, I do not feel like we were given proper or enough training by our admin before we were to start using it.

However, customer service and tech-support have been wonderful!!! They are extremely helpful in troubleshooting whatever issue I was having.

Pros

I like the ease of having one place to put all announcements and assignments for my students. It is easy to upload attachments, or videos, or anything that I need to.

Cons

At first, it was extremely hard to figure out where exactly the submitted work was. I also do not like that you can't reply back to a message directly.

Jessica G.
Company size: Self Employed

Kindergarten Teacher review

Reviewed on 2020/11/21

Pros

I love the different options teachers can use to create a variety of questions on each assignment or quiz. As a kindergarten teacher, I love that they can upload pictures of their work. I also love that you can attached standards to each assignment and grades can automatically hook up to our grading system on skyward. (I don't use this feature as a k teacher, but I think it's amazing for other grade levels to use!)

Cons

As a teacher, I wish when my student's upload a photo of their work, that the photo would automatically show when I am checking their work. Having to click on each individual photo take a lot of time when grading. (I teach kindergarten, so they upload pictures of all their work.)

Mike W.
Industry: E-Learning

Kiddom works well for me.

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Kiddom is help me to teach my students who are distance learning. Without it, my job would be much more difficult.

Pros

Once I learned how to use Kiddom, it because an ease tool to use. I like the way I can organize my lessons and assignments. Also, having the app available for students makes it more accessible to them.

Cons

The one thing that I do not like about Kiddom is the "submit" button. Too many of my students think that by clicking this button, it turns their assignment in to me. Most of the time the assignment they are to turn in is identified within the assignment. I'm afraid for our distance learners, they think all they have to do is click submit and their assignment is completed, when it is not.

Sarah M.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Kiddom- solid start but cumbersome

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

It’s certainly a start for a blended learning package but it needs to work out some kinks in order to be on par with its collegial rivals such as D2L or blackboard.

Pros

I like the ability to create units and curriculum for each of my classes. This feature allows for multiple lessons and activities to be created and organized for teacher deployment to student.

Cons

It is really difficulty to navigate the notifications. Sometimes I have students submit work late and the only way for me to dig out who submitted what and when is either go back to the original assignment or sift through the notifications. This is so time consuming that I have resorted to students emailing me completed work rather than uploading to kiddom.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Timothy J.

View from a teacher

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

Pros

The best features are the ability to embed and the online support. Embed options for video and Nearpods are a great tool. The online chat has always been responsive and will email you back every time. The support has been fantastic.

Cons

The worst feature is how you can't control the order of your activity. For example, "Text" is grouped together, "questions" are grouped together, etc. I want to be able to organize the order to my needs. Also, the interface can be difficult to learn and is not visually appealing. It needs to be easier to tell when a student submits assignments. It is especially difficult to know when students turn in late assignments.