Showing 83 reviews of 68

Argos Reporting Software

Enterprise-level reporting tools for colleges & universities

Showing 83 reviews of 68
Stephen F.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Argos replaced Crystal for most our customers on campus. Evisions is an outstanding company.

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Argos allows us to create reports from different databases on campus.

Pros

The customer service is the best in the business at Evisions. There are a ton of training videos that help in the transition and ongoing use. There a 2 options for creating data blocks with one being for visual users with drag and drop and the other being for more technical users with entering SQL. A lot of our previous Crystal reports could be transferred quickly to Argos with minimal additional work.

Cons

Although most of our reports could be transferred quickly, some could not. This led to an entire department staying with Crystal. Their reports were too complicated to move in an efficient manner. There are some limitations to what you can do in the reports, but Evisions does listen to their customers, so updates are done frequently.

Beverly D.

I am the sole report writer for the school I work for.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

The benefit of having datablocks to store dashboards, reports, charts and olap cubes all in one place.

Pros

I like the way it is designed where you can create datablocks to hold multiple reports, charts and olaps

Cons

I have used several other report writer tools and I find Argos to not be as intuitive as it can be.

Jennifer R.
  • Industry: Higher Education

The software is very easy to use, especially for non-technical staff

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Easy access to data. For me, personally, I don't have to ask the developers for data - I can write the report myself.

Pros

Affordable, yet powerful, especially for a small institution. I love the Evisions team - they are incredibly supportive and customer focused.

Cons

Some things will work in Toad, but not Argos.
Also, there are sometimes funky things that happen with date fields .

Mark D.

Powerful reporting tool

Reviewed on 2018/08/16

I am not a report writer so I've found that if I'm able to communicate my reporting needs effectively, I'm able to get the report I need. Our IT team manages the software and as they've grown in experience, their ability to write more complex queries has increased.

Pros

Insights into our Oracle Student Information System (SIS). Ability to report on multiple forms in SIS. Can schedule reports or set them up to be run whenever the user requires the report to be run. Can provide access to Argos and data without providing access to the entire database.

Cons

Doesn't join with other systems, like Salesforce. The sales reps overpromised the integration to Salesforce during our presentation and to this point, it has made reporting more difficult in some ways.

Greg K.

Quick, powerful and intuitive software for database reports

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

User interface is incredibly intuitive while also providing great power and flexibility. Even users with no SQL experience can create complex queries using the visual designer. For experienced SQL developers, the text editor is available.

Outputs can be in the form of interactive dashboards with charts, graphs, indicators and multi column lists, or CSV files, xml data extracts, and PDF files.

The clever application developer can even turn this reporting tool into a data input application for maintenance data in your database delivering a user-friendly front end for end users.

One of the most outstanding features of Argos is the company behind it. Evisions is by far the best company to work with that a customer could ever find. Their tech support is exceptional: highly responsive, incredibly knowledgeable, never hesitating to offer a webex session and really dig in to find a solution. Software updates are very solid and dependable, saving us many hours of testing because of their track record of reliability.

Cons

The banded report editor is the weakest part of the software. It is the least intuitive and least flexible, only offering output in an often poorly rendered PDF file format. It lacks output options such as a Word file format, and forces you to construct your report output into bands of data, instead of a more flexible page layout format.

Nadeem H.

Argos is an excellent tool. We are starting to implement this reporting tool.

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

I like the ease of use. A nontechnical user can go in and use a datablock and build reports and dashboards. Other institutions are able to share there schema and our report devolpers can easily configure and use this to build reports. The new graphics pie charts, bar charts, email bursts would be a useful feature for my institution. Evisions is investing time and effort for n making this tool better. I am excited to see the roadmap in the near future.

Cons

Would like to start to see integration in Banner.
I would like to see more canned reports
I would like to see more BI to be on dashboard, There may be some available on the coop
I would like to see feature like email, drill down options (may be delivered already)
Customer support and training available on web
Security based on banner roles or departments

Kevin B.
  • Industry: Higher Education

I use Argos to write reports and send email blasts

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

the ability to use argos to transition our office to have more information in front of each counselor immediately has significantly reduced the time it takes to package.

Pros

I like the versatility. There are several processes that this software has helped automate. I was able to grow with my SQL abilities to go from visual design to a free type user.

Cons

"testing" is difficult. There is quite a few hoops to jump through to test it without it doing the real thing.

Skyler C.

It's a fairly robust reporting tool. It isn't perfect but it is quite useful.

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Pros

I would have to say that I like that has a lot of useful features. I feel like creating reports is easier than using SSRS. I like the ease of setting up automatic emails as well.

Cons

I feel like the statistical charts and graphs are clunkier than tableau. I would like to see better analytics overall.

Tara K.

Awesome!

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

It has made pulling information from Banner easier and has helped us to improve/automate many of our processes!

Cons

There isn't really anything that I dislike about the software itself...just wish I had more time to get datablocks designed by IT that I need to make things work more efficiently in my office.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Reports

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

Pros

I enjoy the functionality of finding information when researching to complete projects

Cons

Lots of reports which are great but can be overwhelming to view at times.

Chandilyan A.

Went to Evisions conference 2018, really amazed by Argos, looking forward to using Argos.

Enterprise Reporting
Graphic Data Visualization
Task Scheduling.

Pros

Enterprise Reporting Capabilities
Task scheduling
Graphical Visualizations
Higher Education Support.

Cons

I can't thing anything, a lot of higher education institutions use their software, and the customers recommended about the dedicated customer service, its really impressive.

Reginald l. B.

Glad We Switches

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Use this for course scheduling, pulling the semester Schedules in a breeze. We also use this for locating our majors and their emails in order to develop and update our undergraduate lietserv

Pros

This is a much better product than Crystal Reports which we used before. It’s quite easy to use! What I like most is that when you print out a data sheet/report on the last page it leaves a trail of how you got to that report. I also like that you can save the reports in various formats to ensure the data prints out accurately.

Cons

Our program is ALWAYS down so not sure if that is something related to Argos or the campus system/servers. But, we get emails almost daily that reporting is on hold until an issue is fixed.

Wendy R.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Overall Argos is a great reporting tool. It has many features to meet different needs.

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Being able to distribute to many users more user friendly reports, more flexibility in report distribution options and robust functionality.

Pros

I love the easy bursting to send reports and the option to ftp the reports. The flexibility of the extract reports to format exactly how you need in different sections is great. I like being able to develop the SQL code into another tool and drop it into Argos to make it look pretty and add further functionality with the data sets. The library of objects saves a lot of time for elements that needs to be used in multiple dashboards. I love that they just keep making the product better all the time and are responsive to enhancement requests from users.

Cons

I wish it had an output to Excel format where some formatting could be included. I'm also looking forward to them being compatible with SAML log in capability.

Gohreen A.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Powerful tool.

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

One click reports for my department.

Pros

I can have reports available for functional users of me department with one click. Different charts can be created. Olap cube is very helpful. We do our admission letters with this product. Recently created probation and warning letters.

Cons

When our central IT has problem in nightly ODS update.

Anthony H.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

I was using Argos for more than 10 years, I am happy with it, it is a good report tools

Good and easy to use

Pros

Argos is very simple to use and easy to learn, it has very rich of features that meet the requirement of my school. I like the free type of SQL statement most, because I am a programmer and had very strong skill of SQL scripts, therefore I can just write up the requirement by SQL and then paste into the SQL free type screen. The result return from the report is exactly what I need.
To develop a report a very easy, just a few click and it also has a lot of Graphic features available, that makes the report has with the highest vision effect.
Argos has a very good customer support and it can solve my problem in a very quick time.

Cons

My school is still cannot use single sign on to the Argo server, it may be something missing from the set up in my school. It is not easy and clear to relate the items in the variables to the form design screen.
When I use Argos to update Banner table, the DML set up is not clear, whenever user were in more than one groups, the lower privilege over written the highest one. We run Argos report in Oracle AppEx system, but whenever we change the Argos report, it is not simple, something like we need to re-compile the report and generate a new link.

Eddie B.

Overall, I'm very happy with Argos. Its ease of use is its strongest point.

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

I like its ease of use the most. It's intuitive so once the SQL is developed, everything else falls into place.

Cons

As a technical person, I don't care for the visual developer. Everyone seems to really prefer free SQL. The trade off for its ease of use if that it sometimes is restricting. For example, the tabs are very small and there's no way to make them larger.

Syrine J.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Great for Student Data

Reviewed on 2018/12/09

Pros

Argos is great at populating student data as well as faculty data for reporting of accreditation, etc. It does the job!

Cons

It can be a tad bit cumbersome to use at times. However, once you get the hang of it - it is a piece of cake to use!

Sandra B.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

The potential is great.

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Pros

I was very happy to find how knowledgeable technical support is. There wasn't a question that was'st ansnwered until it was clear.

Cons

I can only select one type of output at a time per report. Our users expect to have at least two types, a txt/pdf and an excel file.

Megan K.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Argos makes it simple to create queries and reports for review.

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

Pros

Fairly easy to use for a functional user who has technical aptitude. Joins are explained in a simple way. The Co-op is essential and has saved time and energy.

Cons

Some navigation is not always intuitive, like creating the actual report. Additional prompts would be helpful when creating the a report from the datablock.

Shawn R.

Good, but can be clunky

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

It's a bit clunky at times, but as we've figured it out Argos can be pretty good at putting together reports and dashboards.

Pros

Argos makes it fairly easy to access the information you want. It can quickly access tables, give you previews, and set up a basic form very quickly. For simple stuff, it is really good.

Cons

Where Argos is lacking is it's polish and ease of use. It can be difficult and finnicky to set up complicated reports. The charting functionality isn't great. There are also differences between the client and web viewer versions of the products, which makes access different from some users.

Excellent Higher Education Enterprise Reporting

Reviewed on 2019/11/26

We use Argos to report out of Ellucian's Banner for end users. The software, for these needs, is reliable and straight forward to use.

Pros

The ability to have reports scheduled to run and be run on demand is vital for my team. I value that you are able to access the reporting platform via the web or an application. The application/desktop version is more robust and is my preferred option. Exporting reports to .csv's is a good option with data manipulation needs to occur. Dashboards in Argos are helpful for viewing records and other items without having to export data.

Cons

The inability to view the SQL logic behind the reports/queries is frustrating as an end user. I understand from a security perspective why this is not allowed. The web interface tends to time out on larger/more complex queries.