Heroku

Balveer
Balveer

Best & Friendly to use for begginers want to host Web Applications

Reviewed on 2022/04/30

Pros

I love the user friendlyness of this software, very easy to connect with github & deploy the application. View logs made it easy to debug the errors, where as in other cloud deployment platform need more technical knowledge.

Cons

Some time I found it little difficult to deploy some of my bigger projects which include databases & some other operations. And one more thing that I least like is to auto shutdown/restart my application, so that I can save my monthly dyno for letter use.

Microsoft Azure

Easy of use.
Pawan
Pawan

Best web hosting platform

Reviewed on 2021/03/01

Overall, the experience with Heroku has been pretty good. I can deploy my projects on the go and view them live. I have been using it for my personal projects as it has less maintenance to do by myself and focus more on development and it saves my time.

Pros

I have been using it for 4 years to showcase my personal projects to others on GitHub. It's a great platform to deploy my projects and it supports all types of programming languages. I like the features of deployment of my GitHub repositories and also set up the webhook for automatic redeployment on changes on my GitHub repositories. It's easy to use and doesn't need to deal with a lot of infrastructures as it's a PaaS. Also, the startup can use this platform and focus more on development rather than setting up own servers and configuring it. Also i love feature of scaling the web apps/services starightforword, i just need to specify the number of dynos to scale it. It offers both the powerful dashboard and CLI so i can perform something on its dashboard or by using its CLI. I love when i can deploy a web app in no time so its fast and simple to deploy. It also provides free addons such as PostgreSQL, redis etc which i can use in my web apps.

Cons

Heroku Dynos are not cheap compared with the EC2 instances and the price may increase when we need scaling on the projects. The free tier can only create limited apps and also only a dyno is available with limited hours. Not all add-ons are available free of cost.

Wenmin

Account is blocked and customer support is not responsive

Reviewed on 2022/08/09

Cons

Because of a handover issue in the team, we lost access to the authentication app (it's with my previous business partner who dropped out abruptly.) I still have the account and password, but I cannot authenticate my login. That's when I learned that without being able to log in, I could not even contact Heroku support. They reject your email if you don't have an account associated with it.

It's still okay. I opened an account and submitted the issue. They ask me to provide a long list of very detailed information about the app name, commit hash, associated GitHub account and associated repos in that account, and invoice number and amount, etc. Which still make sense regarding account security.

The problem is that after I submitted all information, I didn't get any response for days and the charge for the subscription just kept counting. It makes me feel quite helpless. We are not even using this service anymore, it's hard to understand why it is so difficult to pause an account/subscription at least. I hope by posting my review I can get some more active responses from them.

I have the account and password, I can prove that I'm the owner of the associated GitHub repositories, and I'm even the person who they are billing to, with my personal address and name on the bill. It feels really horrible and I will recommend everyone to use other services regardless of how great the actual product is.

Olivier JM
Olivier JM

Deploy your code with less hustle

Reviewed on 2021/05/07

Deploying without having to hire an extra person for DevOps, Just do a git push and your app is deployed this helps businesses to deliver new features to users faster with less resources.

Pros

Heroku makes it easy to deploy applications, and you can do it in many ways. either using their cli or syncing with the repo whether on Github or Gitlab.
Another cool feature of Heroku is the ability to add any addons with a simple click, beyond this their documentation is well written and they have a free version that works well for small apps, another cool feature is the metrics and analytics on the traffic your site is getting.

Cons

There is no easy way of switching account, let's say you have a person account and a work account, also some errors are cryptic sometimes which makes it hard to debug what went wrong.

DigitalOcean

Reasons for Switching to Heroku

It was cheaper and easier to setup.
Bryan
Bryan
  • Industry: Design

The most elegant Platform as a Service

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Great for someone starting out and deploying their first webapp, and great as a service overall. I cannot immediately recommend it to larger organizations though without looking deeper into the potential cost first.

Pros

Heroku is really easy and out of your way as a developer. Setup and deployment is fast, and integrating add-ons is a breeze. I enjoy using Heroku more than any other similar platform as a service. If it were slightly cheaper, we would always use it.

Cons

Unfortunately we do not use Heroku for every project because it does have a high cost. While it is my favorite to use, sometimes it feels like the smarter decision to give up a little bit of the elegant design in exchange for a significant savings in cost. The introduction of Hobby dynos awhile back made Heroku a great starting point for fresh apps, but depending on how many users we plan on having, sometimes the cost of staying on Heroku will quickly eclipse other platform as a service options which while less elegant, still get the job done.

Gonzalo
Gonzalo
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great Paas making deployment a breeze

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

An easy way to deploy and get your app out there.

An easy way to deploy and get your app out there.

Pros

When I need to get a product out there in an MVP-like case I go for Heroku, a few clicks and you are ready to go. Heroku UI is beautifully crafted and they support many languages through their buildpacks, making almost any app compatible.

Their CLI and integration with Github makes deployment a breeze, I love to deploy by simply doing a git push. Their CLI is easy to use and the documentation is clear enough for most cases. Thanks to Heroku I was able to deploy a few web apps easily, their pipelines and integration make them ideal for small-scale projects and prototypes removing a great deal of low-level and hosting issues. Most of the heavy lifting is done for you.

Is amazing that the downtime is non-existent, the old dyno keeps serving until the new one is ready, then they're switched and the user doesn't experience downtime.

For small-scale apps and prototypes, Heroku is super affordable, even I hosted many of my apps in free plans.

Cons

I found it difficult to deploy apps client-based, for instance, I made an Angular app but since there's no buildpack for a fully static app I had to wrap on the app on PHP in order to be deployed.

Prices can go up quickly if your app starts using more resources, in many cases, it would be wiser to migrate to a different platform once the things start to escalate.

As Heroku does it really easy to set up the application for you it's often hard to tweak or change advanced features, you don't really have full server control. Also, I would like to see more integrations with other .git providers like Bitbucket and Gitlab.

Jose F.
Jose F.

Ideal companion of a Rails developer

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

It's a joy to work with with a simple workflow and not needing to rely on a dedicated devops team to maintain a server infrastructure can make features flow faster to production instances and thus happier customers.

Pros

One of the best features introduced by Heroku to me, was the ability to deploy with a 'git push'. Also, it's very constrained, but that's for a good reason: it helps me develop an 'optimize-first' mentality where I don't just push any code to it, but rather force myself to implement an optimal solution. When deployed to Heroku, I know that it will scale well and that when it doesn't then I surely need to take a look at how to do my code better.

Cons

It can get very expensive very quickly, especially when inexperienced developers start adding add-ons, that may not be required.

dishant
dishant

Offers great service for server side app deployment

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

I am using this software to deploy ruby based web apps for our clients. It offers an easy to use and easy to manage web app facility. If the cost of the service is reduced a little bit, I would love to give them full stars. Some business and developers must use this at least once.

Pros

Heroku offers one of the best services to deploy server-side apps. It is a fast, reliable and straightforward way to use apps. I found it very easy and efficient to create different environments for your app. It allows focussing more on the app rather than deploying it. I found it very easy to connect the web app further with the databases. One can easily test or scale any app with the tools provided. It is an excellent alternative of the git since; it gives the ability of version control from the same system.

Cons

When you have to scale up your application, pricing of the service will get pain for you. One limitation which I had noticed is the inability to have direct access to the services. This results in decidedly fewer customisation options for a developer. Some add-ons have an inferior user interface.

Christian
Christian

Great Platform as a Service Offering

Reviewed on 2022/06/18

I use Heroku to deploy and host several web applications I’ve built for clients. Some are PHP & Laravel and some are Python & Django. I make use of the Postgres add on for all of them as well as the Cloudinary add on for a few.

Pros

Push to deploy or build out a full development lifecycle pipeline - Heroku provides all the features you need to make it all easy no matter your processes.

Cons

Teams requires paid tier applications and could be free to make collaboration a little easier. It would also be nice to see a GitLab integration added.

DigitalOcean

Reasons for Switching to Heroku

Free tier until I need things paid
Ibrahim
Ibrahim
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Heroku Review

Reviewed on 2023/10/08

Pros

Heroku facilitates rapid integration with modern technologies like NodeJS, MongoDB, and Git, providing a user-friendly experience. Simply follow the provided guidelines to upload your code effortlessly. The platform boasts thorough documentation, ensuring a straightforward and accessible experience for all users.

Cons

The pricing is a little high relative to some competitors.

Jorge

Heroku, take control on your server side app deployment!

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

Heroku is a fast, easy, nice and very reliable place to host your server side apps, node.js and ruby on rails apps works like a charm. I use HEROKU to deploy my apps, it allows me to store logs, run commands on the server side, clone the entire app and create a new environment, add services to my apps such as Sendgrid, Postgres DB and many many other.

It also allows you to create pipelines and setup your environment variables in a very easy going manner over the web tools but also there is the CLI that allows you to do all the actions over the console.

The overal service experience is great, once you start working with HEROKU, git will be your best friend since it is the way to deploy your apps. It even provides you with many development environments for your app like Swift and any other that have some sort of package manager.

Last but not least you can manage your project collaborators and ownership over the web manager so you can create your app and add all the members on your development team in no time or you can create an app for your client and once its finished you can transfer the app ownership to your client.

This is by far one of the best services for apps development i'd found in years, it really reduces the development and deployment time, no setup for each app, just the joy of git push heroku master ..... Done

Pros

To get start with the services you just need to create the app in the web manager app, witch makes it super Easy to use, it is super FAST to deploy and run the apps.

It is highly scalable, you can start with a free dyno and scale it over the paid plans according to your needs with makes it ver cost efficient.

It might replace your git repository but also it is very easy to create several environments for your app in no time with exact clones of it even with environmental variables

Cons

The only one that i can mention right now is that i haven't found a really nice solution for push notifications (i'd like to find something easy going like send grid )

Londou Jacques
Londou Jacques

A pratical paaS to deploy, manage and scale applications

Reviewed on 2023/05/03

Heroku's support for multiple programming languages and its integration with popular tools such as Git and GitHub make it a flexible and convenient platform for us (developers)

Pros

One of the things I like most about Heroku is its simplicity and ease of use. With just a few clicks, developers can deploy their applications to the cloud without having to worry about server configuration or infrastructure management. Heroku's managed services also make it easy to add functionality like databases, caching, and background workers to applications.

Cons

One potential limitation is the lack of control over the underlying infrastructure. Like control over the servers and operating systems running the applications.

Vercel
Ryan
Ryan
  • Industry: Higher Education

Great Platform as a Service Host

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

Pros

Heroku is my go-to when I need to deploy any application that's not just a static website. The pricing is very easy to understand, they have a great free tier, and the add-on system makes it easy to take on the services that I need to make things work the way I want. I really appreciate the recent addition of support for Docker containers as well. It makes things easier to use and deploy when I've got a containerized application.

I also appreciate how easy it is to transfer an application between my personal account and a work account. That means I can easily experiment with something in the free tier, then transfer it to the work account for billing purposes once something is up and running.

Cons

I really wish there was built-in support for docker-compose. I use that to manage my applications, but when I deploy I need to switch over to using the add-ons. Not a dealbreaker, but a bit annoying.

Manjunath
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Heroku - PaaS platform acquired by Salesforce

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

Heroku does wonder to add arsenal to deverlopers time as we get easy to build boilerplate codes for Nodejs or other javascript scripting. We use it for the backend hosting to cloud, when applications arent too complex or the footprint of users arent too heavy. Its easier to demo an application on Heroku than AWS simply due to the accelerators in place.

Pros

1. Its API's first world is hugely helpful in developing applications
2. Documentation and customer support is top notch
3. Heroku Add on works great for most of the use cases
4. Intuitive UI, supports many programming languages
5. Heroku forms a crucial backbone for Salesforce when dealing with big data. The external objects feature from Salesforce is due to Heroku. Takes off most of the complexity in bulk processing on Salesforce as it can be off loaded to Heroku
5. With Salesforce Canvas integration, it forms a perfect ally to Heroku.

Cons

1. It can have a steep learning curve
2. Tends to be pricey for a large application when compared to AWS, Azure
3. Auditing can be improved
4. Quality of add on's can also be improved
5. Buildpack documentation needs to be improved as well

Dimitri
Dimitri

Save time, save money

Reviewed on 2023/06/08

Heroku is a time and money saver for every startup that needs to deploy fast without having a team for it. We saved invaluable resources just knowing that in one click, everything would keep up to date.

Pros

Heroku lets us avoid the hassle of setting our own servers, configure and update them. It saves a lot of time and enforces good practices.

Cons

The PaaS paradigm can give less flexibility. There are workarounds, but you better rethink how you send mails, store local files or program a CRON.

Jeff

I used to love Heroku a lot, and I transferred all of my projects to Heroku, but now I rarely...

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

I love it's simplicity, and it was very cheap for small projects, and easy to integrate a lot of different 3rd party services.

Cons

Heroku was my go to place if I wanted to host a prototype or hobby project. Right now, everything is getting very expensive, and the service is basically the same as 4 years ago. There are basically no new features for individual developers. There are a lot of new features like teams and pipelines for larger projects for companies. It's more revenue driven now but I don't blame them, it makes sense.
One thing I think it would be nice to have is, there can be cheaper servers (maybe a separate dyno hours) for front end only apps (just like S3 hosting for static sites).

A good plattform for your services

Reviewed on 2022/09/08

Pros

Heroku's GitHub integration and pipelines make it easy to organize and automatically deploy multiple services and and move them through their stages of development. The fact that you can "promote" a service from staging to production without building/compiling is a game changer for me. Not to mention the large catalog of third party integrations that can be deployed and integrated with services in just a few clicks.

Cons

There are quite significant gaps between the pricings of dynos. If a certain tier isn't enough for you, the next tier may cost more than double.

Danilo
Danilo
  • Used for 2+ years

Best PaaS to publish apps

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Super easy to set up and use, with a lot of plugins, but a little expensive if you grow to much on...

Super easy to set up and use, with a lot of plugins, but a little expensive if you grow to much on it

Pros

Super easy to set up and use (with a git-like terminal client), a lot of plugins that enable you to add databases, cache, and some useful stuff to your app just by pointing-and-clicking. You can test any app idea that you have with a real URL in a matter of minutes (if you already have the app, of course...)

Cons

Maybe if your app grows, the prices aren't so low to maintain a big infrastructure, but if money is not your problem than Heroku is the way to go!

Netlify

The fastest way to start quality and low maintanence webapps

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

The learning curve is insanely low. Pipelines, auto deployment, addons, and support for major languages allows you to get started coding almost immediately. They've fast tracked development an incredible amount for a low (mostly nonexistent) price point.

Cons

The whole "teams" situation isn't very good. It makes seeing your apps in one glance impossible and it requires paid apps. The payment model for personal apps is great; when you need to scale anything up, you pay (more dynos, more databases, etc). Only allowing teams, which just helps with organization, to have paid apps discourages from bothering with them at all.

Surjesh

Depending on the volume of traffic, the platform enables developers to scale their apps up or...

Reviewed on 2023/02/27

In conclusion, Heroku is a fantastic option for developers searching for a quick and easy solution to manage and deploy their web apps. Many levels of developers favour it because of its scalability, usability, and extensive toolkit. Its pricing and customization restrictions, meanwhile, might not be perfect for many use cases.

Pros

Heroku's simplicity is one of its main benefits. With only a few clicks, developers can quickly launch their applications without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure. Several programming languages, including Node.js, Ruby, Python, and Java, are supported by the platform. This makes it simple for developers to select the language in which they feel the most at ease.

Cons

Heroku does have a free tier, but for larger applications or when additional resources are required, it can get pricey.Heroku is a proprietary platform, therefore users can experience vendor lock-in. This implies that switching to a different platform or service in the future would be challenging or expensive.While Heroku can support a variety of applications, there are performance restrictions.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

An excellent and simple to use web-based development and prototyping platform

Reviewed on 2018/06/18

Heroki is a world-class web-based development platform

Heroki is a world-class web-based development platform

Pros

We used Heroku to prototype a ruby on rails based shopify app and were able to get started using Heroku quickly. There are many guides, add-ons, tools, and features available via the Heroku platform which allowed us to set up an app with webhooks, OAuth, and Resque Redis active queues with db backups. The Github integration was also simple to set up and use. The Heroku dashboard and website was simple to use and options and features are well explained and displayed. Uptime was always reliable and server lag minimal even with our free feature set.

Cons

We did not find simple solutions to be able to run a Heroku based development version of our app locally on a workstation. With our complex setup for a rails app including Oath and Webhooks, it was not going to be simple to run a development version locally on a workstation due to IPs, URLS, etc. So we ended up running everything as qa/prod on a heroku server for rapid development. As a result any rails codebase change needed to be committed and the rails app redeployed to the heroku instance, which was just a 3 line command. However this commit/deploy process did add to the turnaround and overhead for our app development.

Marcelo

Stress-free bootstrapping support for your software company

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

Pros

Extremely easy to bootstrap and have a project running using buildpacks. Auto-scalable, very cost-efficient (during the initial phase of a company). Easy to hook up everything you need, logging, databases, newrelic...
Imposes that the setup of your project must be done over environment variables, which is a nice pattern. And so on! I strongly recommend this stress free hosting solution!

Cons

They could have more support for open-source platforms, lesser limitations, or be more clear about them. Also, sometimes the account-integration with other

Vidit
Vidit

I used Heroku to publish my AI chatbot plus a couple of websites.

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

I was able to test out all my apps with ease!

I was able to test out all my apps with ease!

Pros

I really admire how this product achieves abstraction by using "dynos" on the cloud. I created a NodeJS AI chatbot as a part of my 3rd-year project, the ease of deployment using Heroku-CLI is one of the best things this platform has to offer. I got it hosted using a "hobby" dyno in no time. The continuous integration and deployment with GitHub helped me a lot in testing out my app.
I also used this product to host a landing page for an app I made during a hackathon. The whole process took me no more than 15 minutes, which is really great!

Cons

I think the price for the "hobby" dyno is a little bit steep.
Apart from that, Heroku puts your "free" dynos to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity which leads to slower response time from the server when the app is woken up again.

Tigran

Heroku for startups and small businesses

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

Overall this host is best for new product and for students, everyone can try free trial it's very convenient for starting any idea, and implement it here.

Pros

This host is most likely for small businesses and for startups, Its very easy to configure and deploy any project, I've use with Ruby and with Node.js and it works very smoothly. You can add any configuration or dynos by one click and connect everything to each other.It has all monitoring services you want as you product is small or mid size as growing.

Cons

As I mentioned above this is for small products, one of cons I faced in these years that you cant do a lot of advanced configuration of your dns or ssl settings, you should either use their paid addons or you should move to AWS or somewhere else. And if you use heroku stack you should update it frequently cos it will stop supporting one day.

Jose

Good option for software as a service hosting

Reviewed on 2021/10/07

Pros

It's one of the cheapest platforms for software hostings. Really easy to use and simple. You can release Node JS, Python, Java, PHP, etc. The catalogue is big. To deploy your app you only need to link your repo account (like Github, Gitlab, Bitbucket, etc) and that's it, your app it's on the cloud.

Cons

The only think I don't like it's that I can't deploy C# applications and web scrapers, so for do that I have to pick other platforms...

Google Cloud and DigitalOcean

Reasons for Switching to Heroku

It's cheaper and easier to use.