Heroku

Balveer
Balveer

Best & Friendly to use for begginers want to host Web Applications

Reviewed on 2022/04/30

Pros

I love the user friendlyness of this software, very easy to connect with github & deploy the application. View logs made it easy to debug the errors, where as in other cloud deployment platform need more technical knowledge.

Cons

Some time I found it little difficult to deploy some of my bigger projects which include databases & some other operations. And one more thing that I least like is to auto shutdown/restart my application, so that I can save my monthly dyno for letter use.

Microsoft Azure

Easy of use.

Easiest Way to Get Started

Reviewed on 2023/05/19

Despite the minor drawbacks, my overall experience with Heroku has been great. The platform's ease of use, coupled with its extensive plugin ecosystem, has made it a top choice for hosting and deploying my applications. It has significantly streamlined my development process and allowed me to focus on building quality software without getting bogged down in infrastructure complexities.

Pros

One of the standout features of Heroku is its user-friendly nature. The platform provides a seamless experience, even for those who are new to hosting applications. Additionally, the vast plugin ecosystem offers a wide range of options for extending the functionality of my applications, making it convenient to incorporate additional services and features without much hassle.

Cons

some of the core plugins, like Postgres, could benefit from more flexibility. Adjusting certain configurations or customizing the setup can be a bit limited, which may be a drawback for users with specific requirements.Another aspect I found less appealing is the recent involvement of Salesforce in the billing process. This shift towards an enterprise-focused approach may not be ideal for small businesses or startups looking for a more agile and flexible billing solution.

Wenmin

Account is blocked and customer support is not responsive

Reviewed on 2022/08/09

Cons

Because of a handover issue in the team, we lost access to the authentication app (it's with my previous business partner who dropped out abruptly.) I still have the account and password, but I cannot authenticate my login. That's when I learned that without being able to log in, I could not even contact Heroku support. They reject your email if you don't have an account associated with it.

It's still okay. I opened an account and submitted the issue. They ask me to provide a long list of very detailed information about the app name, commit hash, associated GitHub account and associated repos in that account, and invoice number and amount, etc. Which still make sense regarding account security.

The problem is that after I submitted all information, I didn't get any response for days and the charge for the subscription just kept counting. It makes me feel quite helpless. We are not even using this service anymore, it's hard to understand why it is so difficult to pause an account/subscription at least. I hope by posting my review I can get some more active responses from them.

I have the account and password, I can prove that I'm the owner of the associated GitHub repositories, and I'm even the person who they are billing to, with my personal address and name on the bill. It feels really horrible and I will recommend everyone to use other services regardless of how great the actual product is.

Andrew
  • Industry: Veterinary

My Experience With Heroku

Reviewed on 2023/11/27

Pros

I like the container security features
The software basically makes application development easy

Cons

It served us well. However, new users needs thorough training

Pawan
Pawan

Best web hosting platform

Reviewed on 2021/03/01

Overall, the experience with Heroku has been pretty good. I can deploy my projects on the go and view them live. I have been using it for my personal projects as it has less maintenance to do by myself and focus more on development and it saves my time.

Pros

I have been using it for 4 years to showcase my personal projects to others on GitHub. It's a great platform to deploy my projects and it supports all types of programming languages. I like the features of deployment of my GitHub repositories and also set up the webhook for automatic redeployment on changes on my GitHub repositories. It's easy to use and doesn't need to deal with a lot of infrastructures as it's a PaaS. Also, the startup can use this platform and focus more on development rather than setting up own servers and configuring it. Also i love feature of scaling the web apps/services starightforword, i just need to specify the number of dynos to scale it. It offers both the powerful dashboard and CLI so i can perform something on its dashboard or by using its CLI. I love when i can deploy a web app in no time so its fast and simple to deploy. It also provides free addons such as PostgreSQL, redis etc which i can use in my web apps.

Cons

Heroku Dynos are not cheap compared with the EC2 instances and the price may increase when we need scaling on the projects. The free tier can only create limited apps and also only a dyno is available with limited hours. Not all add-ons are available free of cost.

Londou Jacques
Londou Jacques

A pratical paaS to deploy, manage and scale applications

Reviewed on 2023/05/03

Heroku's support for multiple programming languages and its integration with popular tools such as Git and GitHub make it a flexible and convenient platform for us (developers)

Pros

One of the things I like most about Heroku is its simplicity and ease of use. With just a few clicks, developers can deploy their applications to the cloud without having to worry about server configuration or infrastructure management. Heroku's managed services also make it easy to add functionality like databases, caching, and background workers to applications.

Cons

One potential limitation is the lack of control over the underlying infrastructure. Like control over the servers and operating systems running the applications.

Vercel
Olivier JM
Olivier JM

Deploy your code with less hustle

Reviewed on 2021/05/07

Deploying without having to hire an extra person for DevOps, Just do a git push and your app is deployed this helps businesses to deliver new features to users faster with less resources.

Pros

Heroku makes it easy to deploy applications, and you can do it in many ways. either using their cli or syncing with the repo whether on Github or Gitlab.
Another cool feature of Heroku is the ability to add any addons with a simple click, beyond this their documentation is well written and they have a free version that works well for small apps, another cool feature is the metrics and analytics on the traffic your site is getting.

Cons

There is no easy way of switching account, let's say you have a person account and a work account, also some errors are cryptic sometimes which makes it hard to debug what went wrong.

DigitalOcean

Reasons for Switching to Heroku

It was cheaper and easier to setup.
Bryan
Bryan
  • Industry: Design

The most elegant Platform as a Service

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Great for someone starting out and deploying their first webapp, and great as a service overall. I cannot immediately recommend it to larger organizations though without looking deeper into the potential cost first.

Pros

Heroku is really easy and out of your way as a developer. Setup and deployment is fast, and integrating add-ons is a breeze. I enjoy using Heroku more than any other similar platform as a service. If it were slightly cheaper, we would always use it.

Cons

Unfortunately we do not use Heroku for every project because it does have a high cost. While it is my favorite to use, sometimes it feels like the smarter decision to give up a little bit of the elegant design in exchange for a significant savings in cost. The introduction of Hobby dynos awhile back made Heroku a great starting point for fresh apps, but depending on how many users we plan on having, sometimes the cost of staying on Heroku will quickly eclipse other platform as a service options which while less elegant, still get the job done.

Gonzalo
Gonzalo
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great Paas making deployment a breeze

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

An easy way to deploy and get your app out there.

An easy way to deploy and get your app out there.

Pros

When I need to get a product out there in an MVP-like case I go for Heroku, a few clicks and you are ready to go. Heroku UI is beautifully crafted and they support many languages through their buildpacks, making almost any app compatible.

Their CLI and integration with Github makes deployment a breeze, I love to deploy by simply doing a git push. Their CLI is easy to use and the documentation is clear enough for most cases. Thanks to Heroku I was able to deploy a few web apps easily, their pipelines and integration make them ideal for small-scale projects and prototypes removing a great deal of low-level and hosting issues. Most of the heavy lifting is done for you.

Is amazing that the downtime is non-existent, the old dyno keeps serving until the new one is ready, then they're switched and the user doesn't experience downtime.

For small-scale apps and prototypes, Heroku is super affordable, even I hosted many of my apps in free plans.

Cons

I found it difficult to deploy apps client-based, for instance, I made an Angular app but since there's no buildpack for a fully static app I had to wrap on the app on PHP in order to be deployed.

Prices can go up quickly if your app starts using more resources, in many cases, it would be wiser to migrate to a different platform once the things start to escalate.

As Heroku does it really easy to set up the application for you it's often hard to tweak or change advanced features, you don't really have full server control. Also, I would like to see more integrations with other .git providers like Bitbucket and Gitlab.

Stephen

Great PaaS solution for early stage startups

Reviewed on 2023/11/01

Pros

It's really easy to get things up and running on Heroku. It is no frills, but also very straightforward. It just works.

Cons

I would love if it had native support for cron jobs. They have apps you can add to support cron jobs, but they are expensive.

Parth
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Best free app hosting service

Reviewed on 2023/02/06

I've launched several applications using Heroku because it's free. Dinos are a boon since they let me execute basic apps at absolutely no expense. Heroku has been connected with a number of apps and platforms. I have a free Bot deployed on Heroku that tweets a Mars picture every hour. Previously, I considered various options, but nothing beats Heroku.

Pros

Heroku provides solutions that make it easier and less complicated to deploy our application. The nicest part about Heroku is that you don't have to deal with the headache of setting up a server, hiring a URL, maintaining proxies, authentication, and so on. Because all connectors use event-bus connectivity, Heroku apps may produce events on our Salesforce platform. Furthermore, it is simple to add additional services and set up numerous settings for testing and development. Pipelines are an excellent tool that significantly enhances new integrations.

Cons

I expected the price would fall over time, but that does not appear to have happened. We must have prior expertise choosing which connection to utilise to map our Salesforce object fields to the table and how to monitor its activity. We utilise it to host third-party API integrations with our ERP. If there is no user engagement for an extended period of time, applications can fall to sleep. Setting up environment setup is also a little more difficult than with simpler options.

Heroku is a powerful PaaS with unmatched support

Reviewed on 2018/05/02

Heroku has allowed us to focus on our product and outsource the majority of our dev ops workload, which has been highly effective at our (small) size.

Pros

We've been using Heroku since our product launch for much of our backend infrastructure, and we remain absolutely smitten with the fantastic product and support we've gotten. Heroku strikes a great balance between the responsibilities of running everything on bare metal yourself and a more managed infrastructure, and we've been very happy with the trade-offs here. To top it off, their support is phenomenal, and, in the case of highly technical issues, consistently escalate support queries to the right technical person internally.

Cons

Heroku can definitely be pricier than running your own show directly on your own servers, or even in a virtualized environment like AWS that's definitely one critique we've seen from colleagues, however in our case that cost is more than justified for what we get in return for it.

Matthew
Matthew

Perfect for scaling your startup business

Reviewed on 2022/05/09

Heroku was the best choice of platform for scaling our very small startup or quickly testing a proof of concept without paying any money for a hobbyist box.

Pros

This system works VERY well with Node js based applications and allows for quick scaling of the services.

Cons

With the simplistic management of your systems comes less functionality like other platforms like AWS and Azure

Amazon EC2

price!
Manjunath
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Heroku - PaaS platform acquired by Salesforce

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

Heroku does wonder to add arsenal to deverlopers time as we get easy to build boilerplate codes for Nodejs or other javascript scripting. We use it for the backend hosting to cloud, when applications arent too complex or the footprint of users arent too heavy. Its easier to demo an application on Heroku than AWS simply due to the accelerators in place.

Pros

1. Its API's first world is hugely helpful in developing applications
2. Documentation and customer support is top notch
3. Heroku Add on works great for most of the use cases
4. Intuitive UI, supports many programming languages
5. Heroku forms a crucial backbone for Salesforce when dealing with big data. The external objects feature from Salesforce is due to Heroku. Takes off most of the complexity in bulk processing on Salesforce as it can be off loaded to Heroku
5. With Salesforce Canvas integration, it forms a perfect ally to Heroku.

Cons

1. It can have a steep learning curve
2. Tends to be pricey for a large application when compared to AWS, Azure
3. Auditing can be improved
4. Quality of add on's can also be improved
5. Buildpack documentation needs to be improved as well

Nicholas

Support is non existent

Reviewed on 2019/10/26

5+ years. As long as you have no support needs you will have an overpriced, workable solution.

Pros

Attracted to the software for simplicity of deployment and alleged production grade 3rd party app ecosystem

Cons

1. Support is literally non existent. good luck solving your problems because they will not assist you.
2. Support is literally non existent. good luck solving your problems because they will not assist you.
3. Support is literally non existent. good luck solving your problems because they will not assist you.
4. Support is literally non existent. good luck solving your problems because they will not assist you.
5. Expensive
6. Go with an all in solution with Amazon and save your natural hair color

My take on Heroku

Reviewed on 2019/10/30

I've been happy with the tools Heroku has offered me. However, for a user that knows her way around cloud providers these might provide a more fine grained control over their application's availability.

Pros

A decent free to use offer, and a overwhelmingly well thought paid plan. Integration with Git and other Control Version systems is mature and well thought, allowing the team to make sure the application is always up and running.

Cons

The interface is not always as responsive as one would wish for, also the CLI version is not yet as intuitive as I would expect. Migrating your application from Heroku to another provider could also be easier.

• Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

New to cloud development? Heroku is a great place to start with low startup cost to scale up

Reviewed on 2023/07/22

Mostly positive. Before steering folks towards Azure/AWS, I would refer them to try out Heroku first to wet their feet.

Pros

I was up and running in about an hour. I didn't understand very much about cloud ops, or deployments in the cloud and they made it simple enough to use--even interesting. I love the company behind Heroku; their vision is leading the CI/CD industry with affordable and scalable web development.

Cons

Dynamos were just plain confusing. Coming as someone from a pure client/server architecture background who'd never worked in the cloud, it seemed a little scary. Heroku (at the time ) didn't offer a lot of training or documentation on how their pay-to-play model worked. Thankfully, they had a free tier, but I'm not sure it's around anymore :(

Chris

Hard to beat platform for application deployment

Reviewed on 2022/11/02

Overall, I love using Heroku and will keep using it as my preference for application deployment. The integration with Terraform and GitHub actions leave me more time to spend writing code.

Pros

Heroku's platform is very intuitive and easy to learn as a developer. The APIs available make it possible to automate lots of the CI/CD pipeline which cuts back on tedious tasks and lets developers have more time for developing. It's also possible to integrate with Terraform for easy and consistent setup between various applications.

Cons

The removal of the free tier is my least favorite aspect. Free tiers are great for proof of concepts and low mileage/hobby applications. It's a great way to get toes in the door, which leads to whole accounts being set up.

Alvaro
Alvaro

Great PaaS for your application

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Pros

Heroku is a great Platform as a Service product. You can set up a server and deploy it in a few minutes (at least a ruby on rails application). Integration with git is awesome!. You can scale your app with only a couple of clicks and is as transparent as it should be. If you don't want to spend money with a dev ops and managing server this is the solution for you.

Cons

They only con I will say is the pricing, even though you will save a lot of money in your initial stage, since you won't need someone to manage the infrastructure of your application, when you app start to grow, also will your invoices.

Surjesh

Depending on the volume of traffic, the platform enables developers to scale their apps up or...

Reviewed on 2023/02/27

In conclusion, Heroku is a fantastic option for developers searching for a quick and easy solution to manage and deploy their web apps. Many levels of developers favour it because of its scalability, usability, and extensive toolkit. Its pricing and customization restrictions, meanwhile, might not be perfect for many use cases.

Pros

Heroku's simplicity is one of its main benefits. With only a few clicks, developers can quickly launch their applications without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure. Several programming languages, including Node.js, Ruby, Python, and Java, are supported by the platform. This makes it simple for developers to select the language in which they feel the most at ease.

Cons

Heroku does have a free tier, but for larger applications or when additional resources are required, it can get pricey.Heroku is a proprietary platform, therefore users can experience vendor lock-in. This implies that switching to a different platform or service in the future would be challenging or expensive.While Heroku can support a variety of applications, there are performance restrictions.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

An excellent and simple to use web-based development and prototyping platform

Reviewed on 2018/06/18

Heroki is a world-class web-based development platform

Heroki is a world-class web-based development platform

Pros

We used Heroku to prototype a ruby on rails based shopify app and were able to get started using Heroku quickly. There are many guides, add-ons, tools, and features available via the Heroku platform which allowed us to set up an app with webhooks, OAuth, and Resque Redis active queues with db backups. The Github integration was also simple to set up and use. The Heroku dashboard and website was simple to use and options and features are well explained and displayed. Uptime was always reliable and server lag minimal even with our free feature set.

Cons

We did not find simple solutions to be able to run a Heroku based development version of our app locally on a workstation. With our complex setup for a rails app including Oath and Webhooks, it was not going to be simple to run a development version locally on a workstation due to IPs, URLS, etc. So we ended up running everything as qa/prod on a heroku server for rapid development. As a result any rails codebase change needed to be committed and the rails app redeployed to the heroku instance, which was just a 3 line command. However this commit/deploy process did add to the turnaround and overhead for our app development.

Simple way to keep your web apps up

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

I use Heroku for all of my consultancy work. It makes it easier to manage resources for non-technical clients.

Pros

Zero downtime during deployment is the best feature. Unlike traditional hosts, you do not have to take the whole server down to make the deployment. The deployments are made to another dyno while the old dyno keeps serving. As deployment is completed, dynos are switched and your visitors do not notice a downtime.

Cons

Heroku is good for small to medium web applications. Their cost grows rapidly as the website demands more resources.

• Industry: Consumer Services

Heroku for Small Hosting Needs

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

For hosting needs for a website, we found Heroku to be easy to understand upfront, with clear info on pricing and costs and how it is structured and can be deployed for use on your site.

Pros

The official website of Heroku is extremely professional, which also shows in your own Heroku account if you do end up using it. Since I chose Heroku to host my website for my company needs, I have never had any escalated issues or major flaws or problems that caused it to make me want to switch. It is easy and has good navigation tools.

Cons

I think it would be a bit more helpful for the knowledge base and customer support tools to be more easily navigable. While rich and deep with resources, soetimes finding the right article or help forum/topic issue can be a bit challenging, however, the overall set-up of Heroku is pretty smooth and doesn't cause problems.

Axel
Axel

A platform to grow with

Reviewed on 2022/07/10

Pros

How easy it has been to get started and upgrade the capacity instantly as we have grown our SaaS business.

Cons

Have had some trouble signing in to the account from a Chrome browser for a time. So had to open a browser I normally dont use to get in. However my colleagues did not seem to experience it.

John
John

Perfect for Prototyping and Development

Reviewed on 2018/09/30

Heroku is a game-changer for me in that it handles all of the back-end server setup that can get in the way at the beginning of a project. I can use it to quickly prototype my Node Express server projects with Heroku way easier than I could with any other platform.

Pros

I start a lot of my projects out on Heroku because its very easy to deploy code through their CLI and get up and running. For Node projects, I don't think there is an easier platform to get started with. The Heroku Add-On's are very easy to use, so you acquire additional databases or services with just a few button clicks.

Cons

I personally don't use it for production deployments because I think the cost is too high compared to other services. However, the platform is great for small to mid-size projects to develop and grow on until they're ready for something bigger.