Heroku

Ramon D.

For all applications

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/08/05

My API and database is in heroku, in free mode, and meets the requirements well. Fully integrated with git, after each commit + push the service is automatically restarted with updates.

Pros

It is highly scalable, starting with a free version and then scaling up as needed.
Deploying and Continuing Integration is very useful as well as being integrated with git, keeping your master up to date.

Cons

Sometimes I get confused about the real usefulness of each tab in web configurations, but it is something that is little used, does not disturb.

David B.
Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Most straight forward git push deployment around

Reviewed on 2020/09/26

Wonderful developer / DevOps experience. In ~6 years of using the service we've hardly seen any issues attributable to Heroku itself (rather to AWS which they buiding their service on top of).

Pros

Very simple to deploy and configure. Allows developers to manage deployments and serverside configuration without the need for a dedicated DevOps team.

Apart from just running applications their Heroku Postgres offering is rock-solid (and last I checked: the largest Postgres cloud deployment in the world).

Cons

- Support for 0 downtime deploys via "preboot" is too rudimentary. Preferably it would verify that the deployed code actually managed to boot before routing traffic. Also no built in support for canary deploys.
- Could use more dyno types (ie. instance types) to fit more use-cases. However introducing more options would also complicate the product and business model so understandable that it's kept simple.
- Somewhat overpriced.
- For security focused enterprise organisations the lack of fine grained security settings might be an issue.

Nat T.
Industry: Banking

Go Somewhere Else!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/08/24

Heroku has refused to dialogue despite us giving them several chances over the half of the decade. So they've blown it. So time to say our official good byes.

Pros

Not really anything that stood out too much.

Cons

We have a long list but will give the short story. We are never coming back to this company again for multiple reasons which we addressed to them several times for the past 4-5 years. Employees completely blew us off, and if they even did answer on some rare occassion, they woud send out derogatory and antagonistic communications. This group refused to use phone, so the limited accessbility was only with email, when they would always pickle us back and forth to differing departments, not finding any solutions for us. Although we continued to warn them that if they do not improve their prices, features, and attitude and professionalism, they still ignored us. So a promise is a promise: they are never getting a single email from me ever again, although they still send me antagonistic emails to us, rather than simply helping us- you know, the ones paything THEM for their salaries. They are so lucky to have their jobs still? They don't even deserve to be in the workforce!
And to this day, they still insist on sending harassing emails to us despite the fact that we have now officially blocked them TWICE.
And they wonder why they don't get respect from us. Treat us like your toilets, Heroku had better believe they will have to suffer the consequences and then some. Trust and respect are earned, not given. Good bye and best of luck to you. Go somewhere else. This group is full of harassers! And that's unethical behavior on their part.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Suman K.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Heroku is easiest option for deployment.

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

I'd give 9.5 out of 10 for Heroku. This is the easiest deployment service I have ever seen. Add ons and dyno scaling makes is very good tool. The have nice documentation too in overall.

Pros

It is the easiest option for deployment I have ever seen. And the option for addon is plenty. The option for dyno scaling is easy. Also Review app feature from Heroku is one of the most underrated features for them. We user review the app feature for all pull requests and all QA reviews.

Cons

It is a bit expensive for a starter and low traffic web application. Most of the time debugging is pretty easy with Rollbar and Papertrail logs but those only works when the app already started. If the app cannot start after deployment it gives H10 error which is very generic and does not tell anything about the error.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Heroku review for team use

Reviewed on 2020/02/23

Overall I could say that Heroku is very useful for small to mid size apps with in advantages and functionalities. It even provide free version for for very basic app where you can see simplicity of web app configuration which sometimes is headache for web developers when starting deployment. You can connect github with heroku and setup deployment on every commit to master branch.

Pros

Firstly it easy to setup for any web server software. I used to install Node.js blank and with feathers and ruby with Rails. Beside of easy install it has tons of addons you can install with you server, e.x log keeper, dns manager, database, scheduler for cron jobs and a lot of third party apps that usable nowadays web development teams for software. Additionally it has built in metrics and overview charts to see when you app crashed during 24 hours , errors, response latency and usage of ram cpu of your selected plan. Talking about plans I could say that it's easy to switch with in paid plans inside heroku.

Cons

During 2 years of experience I faced a couple of disadvantages that I could mention for now. Firstly I met such an problem when I doing domain migration and my new and old domains has ssl certificates I had problems to setup redirection. The problem is that you cant install 2 ssl certificates in a single app but you can register as many coming domains as you want. Heroku provide one solution to use an extra paid addon which is not worthwhile, if i where using ngnix server instead I could give to this problem a single configuration solution. Another thing I faced it sometimes crashing staging pipeline app which should be restared manually later and I still don’t know the reason.

Danilo N.
Industry: Internet

Best platform for hobby and production apps

Reviewed on 2020/02/20

Best platform for hobby and production apps, great documentation and very easy for ruby/rails apps.

Pros

Heroku has a very intuitive and well-organized dashboard, it offers a simple vision of your apps' databases, with tools like backup & restore, access to a console inside the database instance, and simple statistics. The deploy is only a git push to a previously configured remote, and the output is shown just right in the terminal, which is very good because I don't need to open a browser to verify the deploy status.

Cons

Therefore the documentation is very complete and full of support links and articles, maybe it could be better suited for junior developers, because some things seems a little out of order, like, they don't say that you need to provision a database instance, but already give you the database setup commands.

Awesome container system

Reviewed on 2020/09/09

Hosting different kind of applications, releasing new application versions.

Pros

I like that whenever you choose Heroku platform for your software, you have so good overview of your deployed applications. Well scalable.

Cons

First the setup of the Heroku was quite hard - until i found my way to documentation. Still, you got to say - its quite hard at first but once you get a grasp of it, it will work out just fine. When you have applications deployed, then you see how cool the platform is.

Industry: Media Production
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Heroku makes it easy

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

Overall I recommend Heroku, especially for teams which don't have dedicated systems / SRE people.

Pros

I'm impressed how easy it is to deploy and manage apps in Heroku. There are so many plugins to do pretty much anything you can think of, from databases, to caching, to monitoring, to auto-scaling.

Cons

You don't always get the full control of apps that you would get in a true cloud env like AWS or GCP, and I'm sure you pay for the convenience that Heroku provides.

Dennis U.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Heroku Takes the Headache out of Hosting Web Apps

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

While not as fast to get an app off the ground as other solutions we've worked with, Heroku is extremely affordable and great for launching web apps.

Pros

We've used Heroku for about a year now to launch web applications using Node JS and React/Vue. It's amazing how many different items it handles for you on the backend so that we can create secure, scalable web applications.

Cons

Heroku does take some know-how to get everything implemented correctly. You must have experienced developers in order to use it.

Adrian C.
Industry: E-Learning

Great backend for your app

Reviewed on 2020/10/01

Overall my experience has been great. They are very reliable.

Pros

They offer a free tier for start-ups. You don't really have to pay until you app gains traction.

Cons

I wish they provided some free analytics for the free tier.

Gerson S.
Company size: Self Employed

A Nice Hosting Option

Reviewed on 2020/05/18

Heroku is a good option for those looking a potential hosting service for their apps, and not only are the base and free options well-fleshed out, and the pricing is not egregious. While one has to be sure to take the time to learn Heroku, not only their web app but also their CLI, that's expected, and they make sure they provide a lot of resources for newcomers. I continue to use Heroku and hope to test them in larger scale apps in the future,

Pros

Heroku is a good hosting option for one's own apps. Being able to support several different languages is also a big plus of not having to worry about moving different code bases and still being able to work with Heroku. Upon creation, adding a project to Heroku does take a bit of work but when it definitely gets going, it does feel good and pushing updates doesn't take long for them to get running with the Github integration, which is a massive QoL addition within Heroku. Within apps there a lot of options that one can work with, even with the free plan and give lots of information to be able to track how one's app performance along with being able to keep track of potential errors and faults. The Heroku CLI is also nice to work with and well developed, being able to manage directly from terminal is important. The different staging options are pretty going in being able to test one's own app before even releasing out to the public and having a lot of options in testing before release is a big plus. While learning, I do have to say that Heroku’s wiki is fleshed out and provides a lot of information for someone new to such software.

Cons

Navigating through their website could use improvement, and while I have gotten used to Heroku and generally have a good idea of where their content is, I do feel like in the beginning I was constantly wondering where some options where and felt like information could definitely be better displayed along with general navigation. I also which there was a way to change up the appearance of the desktop app.

Jorge M.
Industry: Computer Software

Heroku, take control on your server side app deployment!

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

Heroku is a fast, easy, nice and very reliable place to host your server side apps, node.js and ruby on rails apps works like a charm. I use HEROKU to deploy my apps, it allows me to store logs, run commands on the server side, clone the entire app and create a new environment, add services to my apps such as Sendgrid, Postgres DB and many many other.

It also allows you to create pipelines and setup your environment variables in a very easy going manner over the web tools but also there is the CLI that allows you to do all the actions over the console.

The overal service experience is great, once you start working with HEROKU, git will be your best friend since it is the way to deploy your apps. It even provides you with many development environments for your app like Swift and any other that have some sort of package manager.

Last but not least you can manage your project collaborators and ownership over the web manager so you can create your app and add all the members on your development team in no time or you can create an app for your client and once its finished you can transfer the app ownership to your client.

This is by far one of the best services for apps development i'd found in years, it really reduces the development and deployment time, no setup for each app, just the joy of git push heroku master ..... Done

Pros

To get start with the services you just need to create the app in the web manager app, witch makes it super Easy to use, it is super FAST to deploy and run the apps.

It is highly scalable, you can start with a free dyno and scale it over the paid plans according to your needs with makes it ver cost efficient.

It might replace your git repository but also it is very easy to create several environments for your app in no time with exact clones of it even with environmental variables

Cons

The only one that i can mention right now is that i haven't found a really nice solution for push notifications (i'd like to find something easy going like send grid )

Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Like it so far!

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

I love working withHheroku, but I don't have to pay for it cause the company I work for pays for it. If I was working on a side project that didn't have a very big tech budget I would probably choose something else. If the company can afford it though Heroku would be my first pick

Pros

- Being able to roll back my app is HUGE!
- Easy to deploy from the command line (although my work has it setup so when I commit to master in github it deploys the latest version)
- Has a nice CLI to get info, restart the app, and such...
- Has add ons which easily integrates with the app.
- Easy to setup different environments of the same app.
- Easily see how the app is doing.

Cons

Heroku interface is really nice to work with, but some of the add-ons don't have the best interface. I know the code for those add-ons are not made by Heroku, but I wish Heroku had higher standards for their add-ons. There are some super useful add-ons that just have little things about them that are weird or confusing. Plus most of the add-ons I have used don't have a very pretty interface. If Heroku put a little pressure on them to clean up their user experience that would be helpful.

Heroku is a powerful PaaS with unmatched support

Reviewed on 2018/05/02

Heroku has allowed us to focus on our product and outsource the majority of our dev ops workload, which has been highly effective at our (small) size.

Pros

We've been using Heroku since our product launch for much of our backend infrastructure, and we remain absolutely smitten with the fantastic product and support we've gotten. Heroku strikes a great balance between the responsibilities of running everything on bare metal yourself and a more managed infrastructure, and we've been very happy with the trade-offs here. To top it off, their support is phenomenal, and, in the case of highly technical issues, consistently escalate support queries to the right technical person internally.

Cons

Heroku can definitely be pricier than running your own show directly on your own servers, or even in a virtualized environment like AWS that's definitely one critique we've seen from colleagues, however in our case that cost is more than justified for what we get in return for it.

Bryan M.
Industry: Design

The most elegant Platform as a Service

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Great for someone starting out and deploying their first webapp, and great as a service overall. I cannot immediately recommend it to larger organizations though without looking deeper into the potential cost first.

Pros

Heroku is really easy and out of your way as a developer. Setup and deployment is fast, and integrating add-ons is a breeze. I enjoy using Heroku more than any other similar platform as a service. If it were slightly cheaper, we would always use it.

Cons

Unfortunately we do not use Heroku for every project because it does have a high cost. While it is my favorite to use, sometimes it feels like the smarter decision to give up a little bit of the elegant design in exchange for a significant savings in cost. The introduction of Hobby dynos awhile back made Heroku a great starting point for fresh apps, but depending on how many users we plan on having, sometimes the cost of staying on Heroku will quickly eclipse other platform as a service options which while less elegant, still get the job done.

Ryan S.
Industry: Higher Education

Great Platform as a Service Host

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

Pros

Heroku is my go-to when I need to deploy any application that's not just a static website. The pricing is very easy to understand, they have a great free tier, and the add-on system makes it easy to take on the services that I need to make things work the way I want. I really appreciate the recent addition of support for Docker containers as well. It makes things easier to use and deploy when I've got a containerized application.

I also appreciate how easy it is to transfer an application between my personal account and a work account. That means I can easily experiment with something in the free tier, then transfer it to the work account for billing purposes once something is up and running.

Cons

I really wish there was built-in support for docker-compose. I use that to manage my applications, but when I deploy I need to switch over to using the add-ons. Not a dealbreaker, but a bit annoying.

Gonzalo B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great Paas making deployment a breeze

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/17

An easy way to deploy and get your app out there.

Pros

When I need to get a product out there in an MVP-like case I go for Heroku, a few clicks and you are ready to go. Heroku UI is beautifully crafted and they support many languages through their buildpacks, making almost any app compatible.

Their CLI and integration with Github makes deployment a breeze, I love to deploy by simply doing a git push. Their CLI is easy to use and the documentation is clear enough for most cases. Thanks to Heroku I was able to deploy a few web apps easily, their pipelines and integration make them ideal for small-scale projects and prototypes removing a great deal of low-level and hosting issues. Most of the heavy lifting is done for you.

Is amazing that the downtime is non-existent, the old dyno keeps serving until the new one is ready, then they're switched and the user doesn't experience downtime.

For small-scale apps and prototypes, Heroku is super affordable, even I hosted many of my apps in free plans.

Cons

I found it difficult to deploy apps client-based, for instance, I made an Angular app but since there's no buildpack for a fully static app I had to wrap on the app on PHP in order to be deployed.

Prices can go up quickly if your app starts using more resources, in many cases, it would be wiser to migrate to a different platform once the things start to escalate.

As Heroku does it really easy to set up the application for you it's often hard to tweak or change advanced features, you don't really have full server control. Also, I would like to see more integrations with other .git providers like Bitbucket and Gitlab.

Jose f. G.
Industry: Internet

Ideal companion of a Rails developer

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

It's a joy to work with with a simple workflow and not needing to rely on a dedicated devops team to maintain a server infrastructure can make features flow faster to production instances and thus happier customers.

Pros

One of the best features introduced by Heroku to me, was the ability to deploy with a 'git push'. Also, it's very constrained, but that's for a good reason: it helps me develop an 'optimize-first' mentality where I don't just push any code to it, but rather force myself to implement an optimal solution. When deployed to Heroku, I know that it will scale well and that when it doesn't then I surely need to take a look at how to do my code better.

Cons

It can get very expensive very quickly, especially when inexperienced developers start adding add-ons, that may not be required.

Dishant S.
Industry: Computer Software

Offers great service for server side app deployment

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

I am using this software to deploy ruby based web apps for our clients. It offers an easy to use and easy to manage web app facility. If the cost of the service is reduced a little bit, I would love to give them full stars. Some business and developers must use this at least once.

Pros

Heroku offers one of the best services to deploy server-side apps. It is a fast, reliable and straightforward way to use apps. I found it very easy and efficient to create different environments for your app. It allows focussing more on the app rather than deploying it. I found it very easy to connect the web app further with the databases. One can easily test or scale any app with the tools provided. It is an excellent alternative of the git since; it gives the ability of version control from the same system.

Cons

When you have to scale up your application, pricing of the service will get pain for you. One limitation which I had noticed is the inability to have direct access to the services. This results in decidedly fewer customisation options for a developer. Some add-ons have an inferior user interface.

Manjunath G.
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Heroku - PaaS platform acquired by Salesforce

Reviewed on 2019/12/27

Heroku does wonder to add arsenal to deverlopers time as we get easy to build boilerplate codes for Nodejs or other javascript scripting. We use it for the backend hosting to cloud, when applications arent too complex or the footprint of users arent too heavy. Its easier to demo an application on Heroku than AWS simply due to the accelerators in place.

Pros

1. Its API's first world is hugely helpful in developing applications
2. Documentation and customer support is top notch
3. Heroku Add on works great for most of the use cases
4. Intuitive UI, supports many programming languages
5. Heroku forms a crucial backbone for Salesforce when dealing with big data. The external objects feature from Salesforce is due to Heroku. Takes off most of the complexity in bulk processing on Salesforce as it can be off loaded to Heroku
5. With Salesforce Canvas integration, it forms a perfect ally to Heroku.

Cons

1. It can have a steep learning curve
2. Tends to be pricey for a large application when compared to AWS, Azure
3. Auditing can be improved
4. Quality of add on's can also be improved
5. Buildpack documentation needs to be improved as well

Marcelo R.
Industry: Internet

Heroku is great for creating dataclips to pull specific datasets from your databases

Reviewed on 2019/12/10

I use Heroku every week to pull data that support my decisions, such as understanding our user behaviour, and our supply coverage. With it, I'm able to create a strategy based on numbers, having a higher chance of success. I definitely recommend Heroku to business managers that are looking to easily pulling numbers on the business performance to create dashboards and deeper analysis.

Pros

Heroku allows you to create dataclips based on a specific criteria to pull what you're looking for on your databases. It requires a basic knowledge of SQL language and on database data analysis, but it's something that can be learned otherwise. Heroku dataclips have several interesting functions, such as exporting it to a .csv file or directly to Google Sheets, and creating an instant chart. Also, you can access Heroku through your Internet browser, dismissing the need of downloading and installing an application. I've worked previously with other SQL tools such as Postico and SQL Pro, and I can tell that Heroku is very powerful and easier to use.

Cons

Heroku exporting tool for Google Sheets has a limited capacity of 10,000 fields. So if you're working with a large database, it won't allow you to export it directly to Google Sheets. In any case, you can always download it as a .csv file. Also, sometimes the tool is very heavy and take a long time to run larger queries (more than the other two tools mentioned above).

Jeff L.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

I used to love Heroku a lot, and I transferred all of my projects to Heroku, but now I rarely use it

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

I love it's simplicity, and it was very cheap for small projects, and easy to integrate a lot of different 3rd party services.

Cons

Heroku was my go to place if I wanted to host a prototype or hobby project. Right now, everything is getting very expensive, and the service is basically the same as 4 years ago. There are basically no new features for individual developers. There are a lot of new features like teams and pipelines for larger projects for companies. It's more revenue driven now but I don't blame them, it makes sense.
One thing I think it would be nice to have is, there can be cheaper servers (maybe a separate dyno hours) for front end only apps (just like S3 hosting for static sites).

My take on Heroku

Reviewed on 2019/10/30

I've been happy with the tools Heroku has offered me. However, for a user that knows her way around cloud providers these might provide a more fine grained control over their application's availability.

Pros

A decent free to use offer, and a overwhelmingly well thought paid plan. Integration with Git and other Control Version systems is mature and well thought, allowing the team to make sure the application is always up and running.

Cons

The interface is not always as responsive as one would wish for, also the CLI version is not yet as intuitive as I would expect. Migrating your application from Heroku to another provider could also be easier.

Danilo N.

Best PaaS to publish apps

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Super easy to set up and use, with a lot of plugins, but a little expensive if you grow to much on it

Pros

Super easy to set up and use (with a git-like terminal client), a lot of plugins that enable you to add databases, cache, and some useful stuff to your app just by pointing-and-clicking. You can test any app idea that you have with a real URL in a matter of minutes (if you already have the app, of course...)

Cons

Maybe if your app grows, the prices aren't so low to maintain a big infrastructure, but if money is not your problem than Heroku is the way to go!

Industry: Internet

The best replacement to a devops engineer for startups

Reviewed on 2018/06/13

The best solution to deploy small applications or MVP-like products

Pros

Heroku makes it very easy to deploy applications and to add resources to it. It's also easy to perform basic actions, via the user-friendly interface or the CLI which is quite comprehensive.

Cons

Becomes very expensive as the server needs grow. Not easy to fine-tune the capacity of each server.
Their business development team is super lazy: they contacted me to upsell their solutions because I'm becoming a large client, but when I said I was in Asia they suddenly stopped the conversation because it was too much effort to take a call in a different timezone than theirs!