Heroku Reviews

Heroku

Container-based PaaS to build, deliver, monitor & scale apps

4.6/5 (125 reviews)
Jorge M.

Heroku, take control on your server side app deployment!

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

Heroku is a fast, easy, nice and very reliable place to host your server side apps, node.js and ruby on rails apps works like a charm. I use HEROKU to deploy my apps, it allows me to store logs, run commands on the server side, clone the entire app and create a new environment, add services to my apps such as Sendgrid, Postgres DB and many many other.

It also allows you to create pipelines and setup your environment variables in a very easy going manner over the web tools but also there is the CLI that allows you to do all the actions over the console.

The overal service experience is great, once you start working with HEROKU, git will be your best friend since it is the way to deploy your apps. It even provides you with many development environments for your app like Swift and any other that have some sort of package manager.

Last but not least you can manage your project collaborators and ownership over the web manager so you can create your app and add all the members on your development team in no time or you can create an app for your client and once its finished you can transfer the app ownership to your client.

This is by far one of the best services for apps development i'd found in years, it really reduces the development and deployment time, no setup for each app, just the joy of git push heroku master ..... Done

Pros

To get start with the services you just need to create the app in the web manager app, witch makes it super Easy to use, it is super FAST to deploy and run the apps.

It is highly scalable, you can start with a free dyno and scale it over the paid plans according to your needs with makes it ver cost efficient.

It might replace your git repository but also it is very easy to create several environments for your app in no time with exact clones of it even with environmental variables

Cons

The only one that i can mention right now is that i haven't found a really nice solution for push notifications (i'd like to find something easy going like send grid )

Like it so far!

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

I love working withHheroku, but I don't have to pay for it cause the company I work for pays for it. If I was working on a side project that didn't have a very big tech budget I would probably choose something else. If the company can afford it though Heroku would be my first pick

Pros

- Being able to roll back my app is HUGE!
- Easy to deploy from the command line (although my work has it setup so when I commit to master in github it deploys the latest version)
- Has a nice CLI to get info, restart the app, and such...
- Has add ons which easily integrates with the app.
- Easy to setup different environments of the same app.
- Easily see how the app is doing.

Cons

Heroku interface is really nice to work with, but some of the add-ons don't have the best interface. I know the code for those add-ons are not made by Heroku, but I wish Heroku had higher standards for their add-ons. There are some super useful add-ons that just have little things about them that are weird or confusing. Plus most of the add-ons I have used don't have a very pretty interface. If Heroku put a little pressure on them to clean up their user experience that would be helpful.

Bryan M.

The most elegant Platform as a Service

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Great for someone starting out and deploying their first webapp, and great as a service overall. I cannot immediately recommend it to larger organizations though without looking deeper into the potential cost first.

Pros

Heroku is really easy and out of your way as a developer. Setup and deployment is fast, and integrating add-ons is a breeze. I enjoy using Heroku more than any other similar platform as a service. If it were slightly cheaper, we would always use it.

Cons

Unfortunately we do not use Heroku for every project because it does have a high cost. While it is my favorite to use, sometimes it feels like the smarter decision to give up a little bit of the elegant design in exchange for a significant savings in cost. The introduction of Hobby dynos awhile back made Heroku a great starting point for fresh apps, but depending on how many users we plan on having, sometimes the cost of staying on Heroku will quickly eclipse other platform as a service options which while less elegant, still get the job done.

Heroku is a powerful PaaS with unmatched support

Reviewed on 2018/05/02

Heroku has allowed us to focus on our product and outsource the majority of our dev ops workload, which has been highly effective at our (small) size.

Pros

We've been using Heroku since our product launch for much of our backend infrastructure, and we remain absolutely smitten with the fantastic product and support we've gotten. Heroku strikes a great balance between the responsibilities of running everything on bare metal yourself and a more managed infrastructure, and we've been very happy with the trade-offs here. To top it off, their support is phenomenal, and, in the case of highly technical issues, consistently escalate support queries to the right technical person internally.

Cons

Heroku can definitely be pricier than running your own show directly on your own servers, or even in a virtualized environment like AWS that's definitely one critique we've seen from colleagues, however in our case that cost is more than justified for what we get in return for it.

Ryan S.

Great Platform as a Service Host

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

Pros

Heroku is my go-to when I need to deploy any application that's not just a static website. The pricing is very easy to understand, they have a great free tier, and the add-on system makes it easy to take on the services that I need to make things work the way I want. I really appreciate the recent addition of support for Docker containers as well. It makes things easier to use and deploy when I've got a containerized application.

I also appreciate how easy it is to transfer an application between my personal account and a work account. That means I can easily experiment with something in the free tier, then transfer it to the work account for billing purposes once something is up and running.

Cons

I really wish there was built-in support for docker-compose. I use that to manage my applications, but when I deploy I need to switch over to using the add-ons. Not a dealbreaker, but a bit annoying.

Jose f. G.

Ideal companion of a Rails developer

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

It's a joy to work with with a simple workflow and not needing to rely on a dedicated devops team to maintain a server infrastructure can make features flow faster to production instances and thus happier customers.

Pros

One of the best features introduced by Heroku to me, was the ability to deploy with a 'git push'. Also, it's very constrained, but that's for a good reason: it helps me develop an 'optimize-first' mentality where I don't just push any code to it, but rather force myself to implement an optimal solution. When deployed to Heroku, I know that it will scale well and that when it doesn't then I surely need to take a look at how to do my code better.

Cons

It can get very expensive very quickly, especially when inexperienced developers start adding add-ons, that may not be required.

Dishant S.

Offers great service for server side app deployment

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

I am using this software to deploy ruby based web apps for our clients. It offers an easy to use and easy to manage web app facility. If the cost of the service is reduced a little bit, I would love to give them full stars. Some business and developers must use this at least once.

Pros

Heroku offers one of the best services to deploy server-side apps. It is a fast, reliable and straightforward way to use apps. I found it very easy and efficient to create different environments for your app. It allows focussing more on the app rather than deploying it. I found it very easy to connect the web app further with the databases. One can easily test or scale any app with the tools provided. It is an excellent alternative of the git since; it gives the ability of version control from the same system.

Cons

When you have to scale up your application, pricing of the service will get pain for you. One limitation which I had noticed is the inability to have direct access to the services. This results in decidedly fewer customisation options for a developer. Some add-ons have an inferior user interface.

Jeff L.

I used to love Heroku a lot, and I transferred all of my projects to Heroku, but now I rarely use it

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Pros

I love it's simplicity, and it was very cheap for small projects, and easy to integrate a lot of different 3rd party services.

Cons

Heroku was my go to place if I wanted to host a prototype or hobby project. Right now, everything is getting very expensive, and the service is basically the same as 4 years ago. There are basically no new features for individual developers. There are a lot of new features like teams and pipelines for larger projects for companies. It's more revenue driven now but I don't blame them, it makes sense.
One thing I think it would be nice to have is, there can be cheaper servers (maybe a separate dyno hours) for front end only apps (just like S3 hosting for static sites).

The best replacement to a devops engineer for startups

Reviewed on 2018/06/13

The best solution to deploy small applications or MVP-like products

Pros

Heroku makes it very easy to deploy applications and to add resources to it. It's also easy to perform basic actions, via the user-friendly interface or the CLI which is quite comprehensive.

Cons

Becomes very expensive as the server needs grow. Not easy to fine-tune the capacity of each server.
Their business development team is super lazy: they contacted me to upsell their solutions because I'm becoming a large client, but when I said I was in Asia they suddenly stopped the conversation because it was too much effort to take a call in a different timezone than theirs!

The fastest way to start quality and low maintanence webapps

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

The learning curve is insanely low. Pipelines, auto deployment, addons, and support for major languages allows you to get started coding almost immediately. They've fast tracked development an incredible amount for a low (mostly nonexistent) price point.

Cons

The whole "teams" situation isn't very good. It makes seeing your apps in one glance impossible and it requires paid apps. The payment model for personal apps is great; when you need to scale anything up, you pay (more dynos, more databases, etc). Only allowing teams, which just helps with organization, to have paid apps discourages from bothering with them at all.

Alvaro I.

Great PaaS for your application

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Pros

Heroku is a great Platform as a Service product. You can set up a server and deploy it in a few minutes (at least a ruby on rails application). Integration with git is awesome!. You can scale your app with only a couple of clicks and is as transparent as it should be. If you don't want to spend money with a dev ops and managing server this is the solution for you.

Cons

They only con I will say is the pricing, even though you will save a lot of money in your initial stage, since you won't need someone to manage the infrastructure of your application, when you app start to grow, also will your invoices.

James S.

Amazing way to bootstrap your online service.

Reviewed on 2017/09/11

Getting my startup up and going without having to have a IT/OPS co-founder. Amazing way to get your product out to search the market space.

Pros

The ability to pick and choose services and scale that fit your budget is amazing on this stack. One is able to get a product out the door *FREE* and then scale and grow as necessary, and with some good guidance as one finds their market.

Cons

The black box nature of the solution is a pro and a con. I find sometimes wanting to know more about what is going on in the fabric of the solution to track down why something isn't working. However, this is small in comparison to the benefit it provides.

Adithya U.

Heroku - Best PaaS tool to try out new projects quickly

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/10/29

Pros

* Heroku is one of the best PaaS(Platform as a Service) tool to quickly build the POC(Proof of Concept) or MVP (Minimal Viable Product).
* Reduces lots of service setup/configuration time and server charges.
* Supports many programming language and server stack.
* Deploying code to the heroku platform can be performed by very few command line statements.
* Can set up the server to auto scale based on the server load ; This enables our application to handle any spike in traffic.
* The support documentation and help guide is very detailed. Most of the problems can be resolved by going through the documentation.
* Supports pipeline for continuous code integration and delivery.
* Can attach any DB to the container and the DB can be shared across many containers as well.

Cons

* Pricing : It can get really expensive as the traffic grows. At one point, it will make economical sense to move out of Heroku and go to the traditional server setup which will be less expensive.
* There will be use case where we need to install additional software apart from the standard stack or run a specialized service in the server. This cannot be achieved using Heroku as it does not offer a direct access to the server. Very limited customization can be performed for the container.

An excellent and simple to use web-based development and prototyping platform

Reviewed on 2018/06/18

Heroki is a world-class web-based development platform

Pros

We used Heroku to prototype a ruby on rails based shopify app and were able to get started using Heroku quickly. There are many guides, add-ons, tools, and features available via the Heroku platform which allowed us to set up an app with webhooks, OAuth, and Resque Redis active queues with db backups. The Github integration was also simple to set up and use. The Heroku dashboard and website was simple to use and options and features are well explained and displayed. Uptime was always reliable and server lag minimal even with our free feature set.

Cons

We did not find simple solutions to be able to run a Heroku based development version of our app locally on a workstation. With our complex setup for a rails app including Oath and Webhooks, it was not going to be simple to run a development version locally on a workstation due to IPs, URLS, etc. So we ended up running everything as qa/prod on a heroku server for rapid development. As a result any rails codebase change needed to be committed and the rails app redeployed to the heroku instance, which was just a 3 line command. However this commit/deploy process did add to the turnaround and overhead for our app development.

Jordan V.

Great for new apps

Reviewed on 2019/02/23

Pros

Heroku is a fantastic place to host your applications. I personally host my own RoR projects on Heroku's hobby tier with PG. Their database as a service offering of PG is fantastic and very speedy. It's super handy to have them support containers so it makes your whole CI and production pipeline smooth and easy.

Cons

The containerization on heroku can be a little awkward to get going at first depending on the method you are using. The documentation feels rather lacking and could be better, but once you're up and running Heroku is a solid platform.

Marcelo B.

Stress-free bootstrapping support for your software company

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

Pros

Extremely easy to bootstrap and have a project running using buildpacks. Auto-scalable, very cost-efficient (during the initial phase of a company). Easy to hook up everything you need, logging, databases, newrelic...
Imposes that the setup of your project must be done over environment variables, which is a nice pattern. And so on! I strongly recommend this stress free hosting solution!

Cons

They could have more support for open-source platforms, lesser limitations, or be more clear about them. Also, sometimes the account-integration with other

Simple way to keep your web apps up

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

I use Heroku for all of my consultancy work. It makes it easier to manage resources for non-technical clients.

Pros

Zero downtime during deployment is the best feature. Unlike traditional hosts, you do not have to take the whole server down to make the deployment. The deployments are made to another dyno while the old dyno keeps serving. As deployment is completed, dynos are switched and your visitors do not notice a downtime.

Cons

Heroku is good for small to medium web applications. Their cost grows rapidly as the website demands more resources.

Ariel G.

Easiest & priciest way to deploy to an app server

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Pros

Heroku makes deploying to an app server easier than any other possible method, especially if you design your stack in advance with the desire to deploy onto Heroku. Being able to deploy and redeploy your application with a simple git push and have everything handled like magic means that you can spend all of your time engineering and none of it on the deployment and upkeep side. Their platform provides support for almost all popular stacks, which means that most web applications could hypothetically be compatible with Heroku. The metrics and statistics provided by Heroku are also very helpful and provide insights into app performance.

Cons

In order to use the Heroku stack properly, your stack should be in line with Heroku's opinionated design patterns. These include using a 12-factor style application and using PostgreSQL as your database (Heroku also provides add-ons from other services providing other types of databases such as MongoDB, but PostgreSQL is their clearly preferred database that they offer alongside each service. These choices may not be bad, but it could create difficulties when moving to Heroku or when needing specialized types of deployment. Heroku is also very expensive.

7.0/10
Vidit G.

I used Heroku to publish my AI chatbot plus a couple of websites.

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

I was able to test out all my apps with ease!

Pros

I really admire how this product achieves abstraction by using "dynos" on the cloud. I created a NodeJS AI chatbot as a part of my 3rd-year project, the ease of deployment using Heroku-CLI is one of the best things this platform has to offer. I got it hosted using a "hobby" dyno in no time. The continuous integration and deployment with GitHub helped me a lot in testing out my app.
I also used this product to host a landing page for an app I made during a hackathon. The whole process took me no more than 15 minutes, which is really great!

Cons

I think the price for the "hobby" dyno is a little bit steep.
Apart from that, Heroku puts your "free" dynos to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity which leads to slower response time from the server when the app is woken up again.

Heroku for Small Hosting Needs

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

For hosting needs for a website, we found Heroku to be easy to understand upfront, with clear info on pricing and costs and how it is structured and can be deployed for use on your site.

Pros

The official website of Heroku is extremely professional, which also shows in your own Heroku account if you do end up using it. Since I chose Heroku to host my website for my company needs, I have never had any escalated issues or major flaws or problems that caused it to make me want to switch. It is easy and has good navigation tools.

Cons

I think it would be a bit more helpful for the knowledge base and customer support tools to be more easily navigable. While rich and deep with resources, soetimes finding the right article or help forum/topic issue can be a bit challenging, however, the overall set-up of Heroku is pretty smooth and doesn't cause problems.

John H.

Perfect for Prototyping and Development

Reviewed on 2018/09/30

Heroku is a game-changer for me in that it handles all of the back-end server setup that can get in the way at the beginning of a project. I can use it to quickly prototype my Node Express server projects with Heroku way easier than I could with any other platform.

Pros

I start a lot of my projects out on Heroku because its very easy to deploy code through their CLI and get up and running. For Node projects, I don't think there is an easier platform to get started with. The Heroku Add-On's are very easy to use, so you acquire additional databases or services with just a few button clicks.

Cons

I personally don't use it for production deployments because I think the cost is too high compared to other services. However, the platform is great for small to mid-size projects to develop and grow on until they're ready for something bigger.

Kong seng C.

Heroku review

Reviewed on 2018/04/28

The platform is a bit expensive but has great benefits because it provides a complete infrastructure for the development you need.

Pros

has a PaaS that provides a variety of useful tools for your developments besides offering an administrative part and placing it a cloud so you can freely develop your applications

Cons

the services and stores offered by this Paas have a high cost, in addition to limiting yourself to working only with the languages offered by this platform.

Heroku is a great experience. Makes deployment and dev ops simple.

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

Hosts all our software. It's made dev ops and deployment as easy as it can possibly be.

Pros

Ease of use. Coming from AWS, it does a great job of abstracting away a lot of tedious low-level details. As a small startup, the less we have to do the better.

Cons

Price - it can be a bit pricey, especially some of the add-ons like Redis or Postgres. We've also had a couple bugs that have been difficult to resolve because of lack of access to underlying hardware.

Orlando M.

Perfect for Developers

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

Pros

Moving from Amazon Web Services to Heroku saved me tons of time as a developer. I was able to focus on development instead of server configuration as Heroku does all of that for me. All I need to do is commit to a specified branch for deployment. Also has a good assortment of add-ons to choose from.

Cons

Still looking for something not to like about it.

João S.

Deploy tools in one click

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

Pros

Do you want to attach a database to your program? Search for the database you want and then simply click "Attach" and there you have a new database available to be used.
Want to store your logs in your favorite platform? They probably have already an integration for it, so search and attach.
With Heroku setting up your app is really fast and easy. If you thought that it lacks in scalability due to the ease it is to setup everything, then you couldn't be more wrong. It has dynamic scaling to handle the demand.
On top of that, they also have a desktop tool that allows you to manage your deployed applications.

Cons

Honestly, I haven't found anything that I don't like in this software.