Showing 181 reviews of 170

CardBoard

Web-based collaborative user story and journey mapping tool

Showing 181 reviews of 170
Veselin M.

The easy way to Story Mapping

Reviewed on 2018/08/02

It's a useful tool which gets the job done. You sign up, and create a board without even thinking about the functions. It's that easy. Especially after they updated the interface.

Keep in mind the tool is more in the freeform category - you can place anything anywhere in a grid - it won't require you to put specific things in specific slots. The drawback of it is that while it is comfortable, it can't fully integrate with task/issue tracking tools.

Pros

While working with paper and stickies is the most quick tool to adopt, sometimes a digital one is required, as it provides certain benefits (quick editing; sharing; remote collaboration).

I liked that it required zero learning for the basics. I just did the storymaps without a hitch, no wondering how I can do this or that. Of course, it provides some advanced functionality, but for the pure, basic, stickies-on-the-wall, experience, you there isn't a learning curve. Just plug and do.

Cons

The free version is said to work like the GitHub model - all boards are public. Everyone can see them and browse them. So far so good. However, unlike GitHub where you can use one of several ways to get your repository to other people (sharing a link, inviting them, telling them the name of the repo...) I didn't find any of it here. I could not share the free board to my colleagues (even for viewing). There is a workaround with exporting, which can get the job done.

I understand this is their business model, but then the site should not describe it working as GitHub's public repos, as it, in practice, differs as an end result.

Mark L.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Good but with some hiccups

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

I found the software quite useful for basic storyboarding and brainstorming new projects. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the JIRA integration and the nature of the work I'm doing, it just wasn't useful for anything other than large/complicated projects that need a fair amount of planning and it could only be used in the initial stages. Once I had the list of story "slugs" it was better to manually migrate the list over to JIRA and cease using Cardboard.

Pros

I quite liked the intuitive interface and ease of storyboarding things.

Cons

The JIRA integration left something to be desired. The software did not do a good job of informing me of what it would do when I synced the two. It was also not clear to me that this was not a constant sync. Changes in one product were not automatically migrated over to the other. This was especially problematic because later syncs of the stories and epics caused duplicates of the previously synchronized items to appear because the system did not identify previously sync'd stories.

Abdel S.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

An Easy to Use Product

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

I didn't such software existed until I got to the agile world and someone invited me to CardBoard. My first impression was that it allowed teams to collaborate globally with ease. The cardboards are easily adjustable and organizable to however you want.

Cons

In the beginning I was a bit confused on how the product worked given that I was invited or part of many different boards so it was a tidy difficult to access or find the board I needed to see.

Whitney R.

Cardboard Roadmaps

Reviewed on 2020/06/09

Great for presenting road maps for the future for people in all levels of companies.

Pros

I liked that there was a free trial for the product. When it comes to project planning, mapping, solutions, and tracking, it's hard to find a program with ALL the bells and whistles so the free trial is helpful. The product can be deployed on mac, windows, apple, and android which is important due to employees having different devices.

Cons

It didn't include a lot of the features that we needed when it comes to project solutions. Also need to make sure you have enough licensing.

Very nice tool for Story Mapping

Reviewed on 2018/12/23

I've become interested in product management and read about User Story Mapping technique. Then I googled for a story mapping software and that's how I got to CardBoard. I tried it for a few of my own projects and it worked nice! I was able to create a visual backlog of things I had to do, and track my progress against the backlog. Everything was very transparent and easy to understand, so I highly recommend learning Story Mapping and trying Cardboard to everybody.

Pros

* Very easy to start using it. After you get yourself familiar with the Story Map Concept and sign up for CardBoard, you can start doing the mapping exercise in no-time.
* Simple, yet powerful interface. There aren't too many features in the interface (and I'm not saying they are needed), and that makes the UI nice and clean. You won't get lost in tons of unnecessary or rarely used features, everything is at hand and useful.

Cons

The app itself is great, the following points are not criticism, rather ways of further improvement:
* Story mapping is not a wide know concept, so some tutorial(s) about story mapping would be great. For example, the competitors storiesonboard offers a "User Story Mapping for beginners" guide. Something like this would be helpful for CardBoard users as well.
* UI could benefit from some additions, e.g. to allow to increase the card titles font.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for the review and suggestions for future improvements.

• Industry: Investment Management

Easy to use tool

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

I've built out hundreds of mappings using this tool and never run into an issue.

Pros

I love that this is very simplistic. Story mapping shouldn't be complicated. This software is exactly what you need to map out your next project. It allows for easy collaboration with your team. You can leave notes on tickets. You can easily change the color, had swim lanes, add sections for V1, V2, ect. If you're looking for an easy tool to easily digitize your next story map, this is a great choice.

Cons

There are a couple funny UX things that you'll realize really quickly and figure out how to accomplish that task. Specifically around moving cards and making mass changes.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for your review! Simplicity in use is what we strive for every day when we make design decisions.

Wayne H.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

The best tool for online story mapping

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

I used CarboardIT to map out the product a team was developing for a Hackathon. We had lots of ideas that needed to be agressive lying prioritized and then recorded for possible future development. The tool allowed remote members to get a view of what the team was up to and could have collaborated in real time if we needed.

Pros

CardboardIT is extremely easy to set up and get going with. I had my first board running and doing real work with in minutes. There were many examples of other boards to get ideas from but this is so easy to use you really don't need much.
I also loved the free trial. It is fully functional but requires that your board remain publicly visible. That was perfect for the 1 week hackathon project we used it for. If I were to continue then I would definitely pay the small fee to keep the board going.

Cons

There's not much not to like. It's straight forward and easy so I never had to call tech support or even consult the help file.
I suppose an integration with other tools like Jira might require a bit more thought but there's no need if you're using it as a stand alone product.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you Wayne, I"m glad you enjoy using CardBoard!

Brandon W.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Awesome, Focused solution, but pricey

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

It was a great trial experience, and I loved playing with the tool. Just wish it wasn't so expensive. Specifically, I only need a couple of permanent licenses, but when I run workshops, I need between 5 and 50 people to be able to edit all at once, but only for a few hours. Sometimes, I need temporary licenses for temporary team members who'll only need to edit for a few days or weeks. Nobody has really cracked this pricing structure yet.

Pros

I loved how well it accomplished its core feature set. It was as close to the perfect solution to the kind of tool I was looking for for the specific tasks I was doing at the time.

Cons

Unfortunately the price-point made it competitive with products like Mural and RealTime Board, both of which have a VAST array of features that CardBoard does not. If CardBoard offered feature-based pricing it'd win a lot of the time, but it simply can't compete with those other tools. So, if you're going to spend that much money, may as well get all those other features should you need them for other projects in the future.

Animesh P.

Story map layout !

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Cardboardit was my favourite online post it notes but then I found Mural :) . It gave me much more than cardboardit. But that said , cardboardit was there when Mural wasn’t and pioneered the way !

Pros

The one thing I really love is the fact that I could map out anything I want ! Any flow and which way. The multiple colours definitely help In segregating . I’ve used it as a Kanban board , for story mapping and even for roadmapping to an extent . Multi talented

Cons

Lack of templates is something that bugs me at times. With a tool like cardboardit people could cod what not and use it for what not . I think it’s capable of much more.

Evan W.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Easy to use and powerful

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

I liked how easy the product was to use. Keyboard shortcuts made it a breeze to transfer my board to digital.

Cons

I wanted to integrate with Microsoft products, specifically VSTS.

• Industry: Higher Education

Trial evaluation

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

I used a CardBoard trial for capturing retrospective content in a visual way. I tripped over manipulating the content onscreen and the Excel export brought over content that I didn't need (maybe that can be tailored--not sure). Overall, I couldn't justify the subscription fee when I can use something like Trello for free.

Pros

Easy to get started, pleasant color palette

Cons

Could have been user error but I experienced an issue with spacing. I couldn't easily manipulate full columns of tiles and experienced added space between columns that I didn't know how it happened or how to remove the space quickly.

George T.

CardBoard feedback

Reviewed on 2018/08/02

Pros

Easy to use and light weight. Can mimic the experience of collaborating with teammates using post-its on a white board. Best of all it can be accessed and easily manipulated.

Cons

no complaints. it does what it's supposed to do.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for your review! New updates coming soon!

• Industry: Design

Works as expected!

Reviewed on 2018/08/10

Pros

Simple and intuitive - there was close to no learning curve and there were no excess features that made it confusing to use, just the basic necessities.

Cons

Basic is best, but it could be a little more aesthetically appealling - it looks a bit like outdated Windows software, but not in a cool retro way.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for your review! Keep an eye out in the upcoming weeks for a new update!

Alain G.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

User friendly, efficient and easy to work with

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

Drag and drop, intuitivity, user interface, collaborative

Cons

There could be more functionnalities. You should be able to define your own annotations.

Love using Cardbord for User Story Mapping

Building User Story Maps with remote teammates

Pros

How easy it is to quickly get a nice looking User Story map thrown together. It is also very easy to collaborate with remote people.

Cons

So far we have liked everything about it for User Story Mapping but we only do this exercise every couple of months so we are not power users

Tshering D.

Easy collaboration tool

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

I will use it again in the future

Pros

Easy to use and the ability to add connotations is great.

Cons

Navigation bar doesn’t function properly. Need more color option for cards.

Response from CardBoard

Hi Tshering, We have fixed the issue with the navigation bar! Looking forward to you coming back in the future!

• Industry: Biotechnology

Great for creating user story maps and journeys

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

I really enjoyed using Cardboard while I had access to it. I tried to explain to my organization how valuable it was over Visio and they just didn't get it! I still dream of a day I can come back to Cardboard!

Pros

I loved how easy it was to create the maps and share them with others across multiple teams. the color coding and ability to put notes on the back is something that I enjoyed over using Visio

Cons

I think I'd like more color options for the cards but honestly, that's just nit picking

Mieke N.

Review CB

Reviewed on 2018/08/02

Pros

Easy to use, quick to start, free, good for scratches

Cons

Little editing-tools for items like postits and lines - no opportunity to edit textsize individually and so on

Response from CardBoard

We believe our new update will be of great benefit to you! Thank you for your review!

Alexandria J.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Good enough

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

Easy to learn the program. Simple and clean

Cons

Unable to copy/paste content - makes it frustrating

Alicia M.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Free trial version good for most basic functionality

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Free trial version creates a visual presentation that could be, although not as readily, replicated without the software. It did help presentees synthesize information readily.

Pros

Ease of use. Ability to try free version.

Cons

Free trial version offers only most basic functionality.

Herbert A.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Great for movie script plotting

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

Easy to use and perfect for planning scenes to write for a script. My life is much easier with cardboard.

Cons

It is difficult to get the size right to easily use on my phone.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Easy to use; digital post-its

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

CardBoard has been incredibly easy to use - which is why I keep using it. It allows me to get a digital feature map produced in a short amount of time. I love the collaboration feature and the drag and drop interface.

Pros

The simplicity: dragging and dropping cards. It's like 'digital post-it notes'.

Cons

When I want to add more details (on the back of the cards), there's no formatting options. Also, if I want to add a column or row in the middle, I need to shift out every individual card.

Eric A.

Great Tool!

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

Ease of use to put ideas on the board when working with people outside of office.

Cons

Some options are hidden and not found naturally, you need to know it.

Jordan P.

Great for Scrum Story Mapping

Reviewed on 2018/08/02

Pros

Allows remote team members to participate in story mapping sessions

Cons

Some minor interface improvements would go a long way: deleting a column of notes should slide over existing ones.

Response from CardBoard

Thank you for your review!

Harrison B.

Very good software

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

Pros

Ease of use & simplicity, does all it needs to

Cons

Limited features, limited visual customization