LogDNA Reviews

LogDNA

Cloud-based log management with search, alerts and graphing

4.8/5 (35 reviews)
Per C.

Great, except for repeated issues with log ingestion (remote syslog)

Reviewed on 2018/03/27

Pros

User interface is top notch. So much better than most competitors I've evaluated (which is quite a few actually).

Saved views, quick searches and view context functions makes this a joy to use.

Cons

Two things are blocking our expanded usage of LogDNA for our much bigger product & team:

1. Reliability. The repeated issues with the remote syslog log ingestion is just not acceptable. I've contacted support about it before, but I won't bother again until it seriously improves. We have to restart at least one logspout container each 1-2 weeks. And there ARE NO ALERTS that things aren't ingesting properly.

Basically I don't trust that all log data is there anymore.

2. Pricing. The pricing is great for small log volumes and short durations (as for the product we've migrated to LogDNA). But for slightly larger volumes (say 50 GB) or longer storage (14-30 days), the pricing is too high compared to competitive offerings (from e.g. Logentries).

Fewer plans (3 + free) with clear separation by features would be clearer. Costs should increase linearly with storage volume AND retention length (multiplied). This would make pricing clear and logical, instead of using "minimum charges" which is just annoying and stops us from increasing our usage until we reach that threshold.

I completely understand the need to raise prices for more value delivered, but it should be structured so that customers clearly perceive the added value. For instance, you should probably add advanced alerts to an "Enterprise" plan, and possibly limit graph usage for "Starter" plans, etc.

Allan S.

Best tool I've ever used for logging. It just makes sense!

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

Pros

We've used a few other logging tools before, and still struggled with debugging our webapp on multiple servers. Then we found LogDNA, and decided to give it a try. Wow! It's so simple to install, we were up and running within a few minutes. The user interface is clean and intuitive. It's really easy to search keywords (even excluding terms), and jump to timeframes in your own local timezone. You can even type in 10 hours ago and it just works by jumping to the log line with a highlighted marker. It's saved us so much time when diagnosing a problem, tuning our app/server performance, and even when reviewing the logs to predict trends.

I also love the alerts and integration with email, Slack, PagerDuty, and even your own Webhook. With a couple of clicks, you can set up the notification rules to trigger an alert. With LogDNA, we always know what's going on at every level throughout the stack.

Cons

You can't customize the colors for log levels. Although they have a few preset themes to choose from, you can't fully customize it. For example, it's easy to see the Error level highlighted in red, but for the remaining log levels such as Info, Notice, Warning, Fatal, etc., the colors are the same so you can't quickly skim the logs without reading it.

Shubham D.

Best product for logging in market

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

I would recommend logdna to everyone. It's pricing, feature parity and support are best.

Pros

We have tried many logging solutions out there in the market, but logdna was the cheapest, simple and best solution out there for logging. It has good support for different platforms like cloud, kubernetes and hosted machines. The setup is very simple for even a beginner and UI is very intuitive. It has all the required features for logging. The search and tags functionality has reduced a lot of pain of debugging.

The support channel is very active. I have got the solution to all my problems quickly.

The alerting feature is very useful in case our service goes down or misbehaves. It supports mails, slack and webhook which we use to automatically restart our server.

Cons

We can't set per service based logging limit. There are not many colour options for different logs.

Alexander L.

LogDNA is a must have for any tech company

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

LogDNA has been helping us managing logs since early days (when our company was just 5 people). It helps us pro-actively identify bugs/crashes before our customers even had a chance to log support ticket.

Pros

- LogDNA is very easy to integrate - takes 5min to setup

- LogDNA saves disk space - you dont need to store logs in your server anymore

- LogDNA views makes it easy to organize logs based on environment, service, filter, etc

- LogDNA alerts enable us to pro-actively identify bugs/crashes before our customers even had a chance to log support ticket

- LogDNA makes it easier to expose logs to everyone in the team without having to give them access to the production servers

Cons

There is nothing i like least about this product. Maybe the fact that it gets more expensive as your system and users grows, but thats fair and expected

LogDNA makes logging fun and easy!

Reviewed on 2018/11/26

Pros

After struggling for years with tail-ing the logfiles of our servers, some genius told me that I should have a look at LogDNA. With their low pricing, I could hardly imagine that they offered quality software. But they do! Once setup at the server, it's easy to create filters (based on server, process, tag or level) to create custom views. So, for example, you can set a view to show all log entries from an error level for a certain process. On top of that, you can also create alarms for views to receive notifications at a certain treshold.

Cons

For 99% it does what I expect it to do. The only downside over the past years was that occasionally it was a bit slowish with realtime live updates. But most of the time it's pretty fast.

DNA of your product!

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

Pros

1. json log ingestion. We were logging our application logs in json formats and when we were looking for the application it fit into it.
2. S3 back up. Sometime we need to search for the older logs and it helps to get it from there.
3. Search. The advanced search really help us to get what we exactly want it. And we go the context quickly(using switch to context) and it really a cool and handy feature to use.
4. Dashboard. Some time out applications misbehaves and flood the logs. It is super easy to find the service using the dashboard by seeing the log ingestion rate. And we use 50s of services.

Cons

In the recent release, there is some problem with the search it seems. Getting irrelevant logs

Arkadiusz K.

Great software, helps to keep an eye on business, simple, beautiful interface, fits all needs

Reviewed on 2018/02/26

"One Ring to rule them all" - helps with monitoring cloud environment with many nodes - alerts helps fix a problems.

Pros

Simple interface, great user experience.
Feature-rich: it fits all my needs regarding log monitoring.
Multiple integrations support many OS, using dedicated agent makes integration easy.
Dynamic development brings new features.
Reasonable price.

Cons

Sometimes there are lags in log processing also I've spotted some missing logs (migrate from syslog to agent integration doesn't fix a problem).

Linux agent consume to much memory - it's an issue on cloud VMs with small amount of memory, where overhead on monitoring/logs should be as small as possible.

Graphs looks pretty - but should have more interaction with logs filter - eg. filter could map on graph - changing filter conditions change graph conditions as well.

Emma J.

Easy Logging

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Being able to see key activity on the site has really helped with support - as we can identify the actions a user has taken and any errors for bug fixes. Sure, you get this with any logging software, but LogDNA had easy set up, a good free plan, and just seemed really clear compared to the others we tried. I am really happy customer and plan to use LogDNA when I launch more online services.

Pros

I love how easy LogDNA was to set up on my NodeJS server, and the web-based display of my logs. It makes tracking user actions and errors really simple, and I have been able to quickly identify problems and fix bugs.

Cons

For a logging service, this ticked all the boxes for me. When there has been an issue (I was getting duplicate logs) - support quickly fixed it.

Easy log management for Kubernetes

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Pros

- Very fast search over terabytes of data

- Easy to integrate with Slack and other tools

- Easy to get up and running overall, especially on Kubernetes. Only two lines of code to implement and start seeing it on the LogDNA dashboard

- Lets you control what is being stored, and filtering on ingest means you don’t get charged for filtered data, even if you’re still sending it in for tailing. Pretty fair way of doing pricing.

- The overall developer experience is good, and quite intuitive to build graphs and dashboards.

Cons

- Takes a while to dig in and figure out all of the features

- Alerting is nice, but could use more customization

Cristiano D.

A great product with a great team

Reviewed on 2018/03/30

Pros

I like the fact that is super easy to use, easy to apply filters and configure. Better yet, I like the fact that the development team will listen to us customers in regards new features or specific troubles.

Cons

The box for entering the filter queries could be slightly bigger. Some of my filters are extremely big because I have a need to see specialized errors and throw alerts when they happen. Often I have to copy the filters to a text editor so I can paste them back.

Eli A.

LogDNA is the perfect tool for someone who just needs to aggregate all of their logs into one place

Reviewed on 2018/02/23

Pros

Not only is LogDNA incredibly simple to setup and use, but it doesn't overwhelm you with features. It does one thing really well: logging. Also, LogDNA is very affordable compared to the alternatives (most of which have lots of features I don't want). LogDNA is a simple product, but it fills a niche that no one else does as simply or elegantly.

Cons

Nothing! LogDNA is exactly what I want it to be. The only thing that's slightly annoying is that their search doesn't do partial string matching very well, but it's really not that hard to type out the whole search string :)

Jacob C.

This is really a fantastic service.

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

We use LogDNA to send meaningful logs from our many microservices. It gave us the ability to look through historical error events and check the status of the workers. For critical services, we are able to receive notifications when errors occur. It's really superb.

Pros

It's very fast, always working and the feature-set makes it so great to find bugs and see status. The meta search and time filters are superb.

Cons

We have many microservices and it's hard to manage more than a few saved views. The ability to organise and create collections of saved views would really be the final polish for our use-case.

good product

Reviewed on 2018/10/22

very good. already moved lots of our product to LogDNA

Pros

- i like the S3 archiving
- the search is fast

Cons

- sometimes, the search part is not powerful enough.
- it will be great if can have a local parser for reading archived data.\

Miroslav K.

We define our overal app overview as pre-LogDNA and post-LogDNA

Reviewed on 2018/02/24

Pros

It keeps me well informed of what is really happening in my software products. I can very easily search and get notified of any problems that are important to me. LogDNA is very simple to integrate and use with a great pricing options.

Cons

Sometimes, it is hard to navigate with lots of defined views without the option to group them if I don't remember their titles.

Will P.

Easy installation. Great Support. Infinite Usefulness.

Reviewed on 2018/02/13

Pros

The ease of getting started with LogDNA is fantastic. In Kubernetes, just run a single command and LogDNA will install as a daemonset and send your logs in. Giving my developers easy access to real-time logs was game changing.

Cons

Looking to do more with summarizing and analyzing data, and they've been adding these features at a rapid pace.

Ravi D.

Easy to Install, One place for all your logs, Easy debugging

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

Pros

Best features I always use are saving the frequent searches, drilling down to pod level logs ( in k8s ), being able to tag and search against a time frame.

Cons

There has not been much of cons for our use case but once I did feel there has been an issue with log ingestion where we missed some logs. It just happened once.

LogDNA made life much easier for us!

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

Pros

We use LogDNA almost like a remote terminal. When we deploy to our development servers, we run QA tests and check LogDNA to see if the tests worked or not.

Cons

It was a little difficult for us to set it up on elasticbeanstalk initially. We've also had instances where LogDNA didn't update, but that was resolved by support.

Tai y Y.

Customer support was very fast and accurate for what was requested.

Reviewed on 2018/03/23

Detailed insight to specific log items.

Pros

I like that you can filter quickly and get to the specific pod, time, filter, app. I also like the statistics and is integrated well w/ python logger library w/ the filters. I like that I can access the logs from anywhere.

Cons

Limit of 30days history for our account. Timestamps need to be converted and not as user friendly. I would like to more visibility on all it's capabilities like ContextFilter was interesting and discovered recently.

Jorgen P.

Good JSON logging and searching tool

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

LogDNA does lots right. JSON log ingestion, powerful and fast searching, live tailing, and log analytics. It also archives to an S3 bucket, and has a great slack integration

Cons

Some reliability concerns a while back, but it looks like they have since been resolved. They need to be mindful about pushing out changes that could affect someone else's logs. Be weary and keep another copy of your logs just incase things go awry.

7.0/10
Euwyn P.

Hands down the best logging tool I've used.

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

Love the "view in context" feature, incredibly helpful for our team to quickly diagnose issues and troubleshoot.

Cons

Lacks alerts for the time-being. Some of the user interface components need a bit of tweaking, but everything is being improved rapidly.

Nevin J.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

It was great. The team is easy to work with and they have a great product.

Pros

Extremely easy to use and does everything you need from a product like this

Cons

Honestly there was not much. For our use case, we really didn't have anything that we needed it to do.

Dan M.

Best cloud logging system I've used

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

Pros

Easy to set up. Both the Python and Kubernetes drivers are simple, lean, and efficient. The web UI is beautiful and fast. Much more useful out of the box than a standard ELK stack. Can get a lot of benefit even in the inexpensive usage plan.

Cons

Feature development seems to prioritize mainly around enterprise customers, so small quality-of-life updates are taking a while.

Katherine R.

Didn't Think I Would Ever *Love* a Logging Tool

Reviewed on 2018/12/10

Pros

I didn't think I would ever rave about a logging tool, but after sitting through a power-user webinar and using LogDNA, I cannot say enough good things about it. We have beautiful logging views so I can instantly research transactions and events in seconds at a detailed or high-level view. There are things that I anticipate taking a long time or being a headache that turn into a few simple clicks since all the data is accessible in LogDNA.

Cons

Our team hasn't been consistent in our logging strategy which LogDNA reveals when sifting through different transactions. I also did not know about a lot of the things I could do with the tool until sitting through the 30 - 40 minute webinar.

Francis D.

Amazingly simple tool to help quickly diagnose issues across many docker containers

Reviewed on 2018/02/14

Quick diagnosis of issues across multiple services in a docker/kubernetes infrastructure. Copying query to other team members to help diagnosis issues.

Pros

Simple setup, works in bare metal and docker environment. Simple but powerful query interface allowing pinpointing issues and tracing backwards a breeze across our multiple services.

Adrian M.

LogDNA is a grat simple product

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

We're trying to ensure that we can watch logs across multiple clusters and multiple machines. This allows any of our developers to watch for errors from a single interface, rather than having so SSH into each machine.

We're also not at the scale to run a system like this ourselves, so it's easier to use an existing product, like LogDNA.

Pros

I love the simplicity of LogDNA. It works well for our small environment and seems to have the ability to scale up.

The pricing structure makes sense and suits our needs.

It's also super easy to install and set up on our servers. I've managed to add it to the provisioning system that we use.

Cons

Nothing, at the moment it suits our needs perfectly.