Google Data Studio Reviews

Google Data Studio

Interactive dashboard reporting and data visualization tool

4.5/5 (31 reviews)
Shruti S.

Google Data Studio: Pretty Awesome

Reviewed on 2019/07/24

This for me is a phenomenal product. Since I have found this, I've introduced it to multiple people at work. This has been very helpful in depicting data in a simple and easy way to variety of audiences. I wish they advertised it better.

Pros

1. It is free
2. It connects to your Google account
3. It can connect to a whole variety of data sources, I have been using several Google spreadsheets
4. The ease of inserting a table, a graph, scorecard, heatmap etc
5. It is visually pleasing
6. It can serve as a live dashboard with custom and malleable date ranges
7. It allows you to easily switch around different chart versions
8. You can embed a Google spreadsheet! and scroll through the live Data Studio file!
9. All sorts of sharing settings
10. Can also download as a static PDF file
11. They have a basic training online, and there is a world of articles and youtube videos to help you
12. You can create new fields, rename them etc

Cons

1. You have to link by tab for each spreadsheet, which is tedious. It would be nice to be able to link multiple tabs and spreadsheets at once.
2. There is no option for an automatic refresh if there is a change in the base file -- you have to go to View and hit refresh (not intuitive either).
3. The legend text often gets hidden and is not easy to resize and move around.
4. I couldn't find any option for inserting headers or page numbers automatically.

Andrew B.

A Great Free Alternative for Smaller Scale Data

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

Google Data Studio is great for what I use it for. I would not use it - nor recommend it - for large-scale data projects or projects that require large amounts of data processing. But, for basic dashboards and presentations, it works great.

Pros

Google Data Studio is an excellent (and free!) alternative to software like Power BI or Tableau when the datasets you are using are smaller in size and the analysis needed is more presentation-based than behind the scenes number crunching. It's a fast way to put together a visually appealing dashboard without a lot of the 'frills' of the bigger players like Power BI.

Cons

CSV import is limited to 100mb, which has been an issue in some of the datasets I have used (also why I noted Data Studio is for smaller datasets). This is a nit-picky one, but there is no word cloud functionality, which I really wish they would add.

Free BI Tool with a learning curve

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

It met me needs for a sales and marketing dashboard without having to spend hundreds of dollars.

Pros

It's free. It's Goolge so you know that it will evolve. It allows you to combined data sources for charts and graphs. One you understand how to use the tool it is fairly intuitive.

Cons

Lack of supporting materials or tutorials.

Perfect for a ad hoc analysis

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/08/21

Pros

It has built in integrations for every Google product, so when Data Studio came out it enabled us to deprecate another tool and helped us to keep it simple.

Cons

It's not so straightforward to do some specific analysis, setting filters for example. The tool is limited for more complex analysis.

Best free reporting tool

Reviewed on 2019/03/13

Pros

The best part of it is that I no longer have to spend hours on making reports for our clients. You just make a template, create a data source and it's done. It's one of the best tools Google came up with in the last years.

It's very easy to use and extremely intuitive.

Cons

Could use a couple more integration (Facebook for exemple) but hey it's FREE and it's very very good.

Nicolas V.

The Easy Dashboarding solution

Reviewed on 2019/10/10

Pros

Very easy to use and can collect data from a lot of sources with basic connectors.

Cons

No native connector to facebook, we need to extract data into Google Spreadsheet and then link the SS has a new data source

Zohaib A.

An Exceptional Tool To Create Reports Using Your Own Data Sources

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Loved having the ability to add our data sources to create intelligent and aesthetically pleasing charts. 10/10!

Pros

Great job to Google's team for making this wonderful tool! Data studio is an amazing platform that helps us in terms of creating data reports that are otherwise quite difficult to create on your own when you have multiple data sources at once, this solves that problem rather efficiently. Now we just assign the source for our tables or charts into the data studio and it makes professional reports for us on the go!

Cons

Nothing to dislike as this has only helped in creating reports that are rather time consuming if you were to create them manually in excel or word

Dee O.

Great for integrating with Google Analytics for client reporting!

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

Would definitely recommend for agencies! There's a lot more that Google Data Studio can do - we haven't scratched the surface yet!

Pros

Ability to create custom reports from Google Analytics data.
Ability to style/format reports as you wish - fonts/colours/graphics etc.

Cons

Can be tricky to pull in the right data at a first glance.

Tanishq A.

Great Software for your Data Visualization Needs

Reviewed on 2019/09/14

I was using this software to track the daily sales conversion data and it always provided a comprehensive picture. This was my first experience with any data reporting and visualization software and I found it easy to use right from the very first day.

Pros

1. Easy sharing options across a vast umber of users.
2. Easy to understand reports and dashboards.

Cons

1. Reports and dashboards take a certain amount of time to get refreshed and updated.

7.0/10
Nik F.

The best free BI dashboarding tool

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

GDS is free and that is its greatest strength. It connects easily to Google services, and supports a smattering of other data sources. It is easy to use and has some power under the hood that isn't obvious at first blush, especially with recent updates that permit better data aggregation and transformation.

Cons

It is very good for relatively simple dashboards, but if you are looking for larger scale "enterprise" tools or want more flexibility in data management, it's probably not a good fit. Maintenance of dashboards is highly manual and it is nearly impossible to create template reports or duplicate them for other similar data sources.

Michael W.

Data Studio Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

Overall, it's great. I'm newer to the program, but I'm in it each month. It's not very user-friendly to those who are looking to learn more about data reporting, but those who have that knowledge are able to navigate it easily.

Pros

It is great once you get the hang of it. There are issues (see below), but it is great for those using an analytical approach to their job and any who have a reporting aspect. It makes for a beautiful product when complete.

Cons

The inability to leave comments is a bummer. Every other Google product you can leave comments and tag people. Why not this one? The X and Y axis are also frustrating when trying to edit them. The bottom one isn't able to be edited for percentages, which is a lot of what I work with.

Maria Q.

My favorite Report Platform

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/08/25

Is my favorite platform to create reports. I just love it, it really changes the Analytics works not only for me and my team but also for my clients.

Pros

It helps me to manage, control and understand data. It´s really useful and saves me a lot of time. I can create entire campaign reports in a few hours, adding dynamic charts, text, maps and a lot of graphic elements that make my reports more attractive and easy to understand.

Cons

It took me a little bit of time understanding how it works; but once I learned everything was easier for me.

Makes Our Reports Look Professional

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Pros

I LOVE Data Studio because it makes all our clients' reports look professional and easy to read. You can combine multiple data sources on a single dashboard, you can have multiple pages, and puts it into one dashboard that I can customize. We use supermetrics and the data pulls in from Facebook, Google Ads, Bing, LinkedIn, and Twitter with ease. Our clients LOVE their dashboards.

Cons

The data sources sometimes break and you have to go in and re-create another data source. Also, their customer support is non-existent.

Brian K.

Great value for a free tool

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Pros

Considering GDS is free, it's a great value. The platform has come a long way since it's inception, and in my time using it, has continued to evolve in the right direction.

Cons

There are still a number of functions which can be done in GA which are difficult or impossible in GDS. Make sure you map out your reporting before setting out.

Alessio R.

Not a Tableau alternative, but it’s getting there

Reviewed on 2019/08/10

Pros

Pricing (it’s free)
Native integration with Google Ads and Analytics
New features are being added very frequently
Good UX

Cons

Quite complicated to create your own functions
Weak templating
Can’t move files to Team Drives
Separation between data and visualization is confusing

Joost K.

Great tool! I hope more integrations follow soon

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/07/29

I'm using Google Data studio to keep track of international SEO performance. It helps us keep overview of the most important metrics. It goes beyond what you can get out of Analytics in this way.

Pros

This tool makes it very easy to connect and display data from multiple sources. Some of the main benefits of this very powerful software:
1. It's easy to setup dashboards, you don't need any experience.
2. You can connect data from multiple points - for example Google Analytics and Google Search console.
3. Styling your dashboards is easy and you have a lot of options in it.
4. There are many many options to visualize the data in your preferred way.

Cons

The only downside for me was that it does not integrate with many other projects yet. I would like it to combine with my CRM system.

John H.

The best reporting platform

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

I love Google Data Studio!

Pros

Google Data Studio makes it so easy to generate dynamic reports for yourself or clients. You can easily pull data from Google properties, and others with support, to create customized reports to observe any and all metrics that guide your organization.

Cons

There are limited features when incorporating data from non-Google sources, which require a third party tool to access easily.

James B.

All the info in one place

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

went from manually tracking stats across different places to having it all in one centralised location.

Pros

Love being able to use different connectors to bring all of our data into one place - it makes monthly reporting a whole lot easier than it ever used to be

Cons

Finding the right connector can sometimes take time, as well as the ever-changing landscape of how different services report info, but patience is rewarded

Romario G.

Excellent Free-to-Use tool for BI

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Despite that it's not the best functional BI tool, it really solves a lot of data needs.

Pros

What I most liked about this tool is that it makes so easy and secure to share reports with people in my organization (we have G-Suite accounts). Also, this tool have a perfect integration for reading data from Google Sheets.

Cons

As I said, the Free-to-Use comes at a cost: it lacks a wide variety of functionalities. For example: is not possible to connect to SQL Server databases, lacks support for a wide variety of charts (gauge) and is not possible to modify chart labels.

Godwin E.

Best for creating Report

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

It has helped us create good monthly reports for our organisation and stakeholders. To better show what we have done and how far we can go.

Pros

I like the feature that I can directly get my data from my Google Bigquery and create a good report for them. It has made it easier organise reports using the charts and tables.

Cons

It requires some level of expertise to be able to use. It is not beginner-friendly

Milena O.

Easy to use program

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/08/06

Pros

GDS is no longer beta!! Google Data Studio has the ability to create your own visualization Community Visualization and ready-made reports can later be used as templates.

Cons

Сonvenient interface. Data Studio is free and does not require the installation of additional software, which can be considered its most powerful advantages.

Stuart W.

Reporting made easy

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Pros

Obviously there's lots more you can do with Data Studio other than just reporting, but for digital marketing this has made life so much easier creating reports as often as needed, and even have them emailed on a schedule via PDF.

Cons

Sometimes filters don't allow you to get as granular as you would like.

Thaddaeus H.

Not easy to visualize my data

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

It does the job but I would prefer that it included the speedometer graph. That is what I really wanted.

Pros

I like the way that I can take my data, visualize it and share it with my team members who seem to only be able to understand by looking at graphs. Plus it is included in my Google Suite.

Cons

I found it very hard to begin building my first data presentation. The format is not intuitive and the documentation is hard to find.

I am visualizing OT data and I wanted to build a pie graph but I still cannot figure out how to do it. Every time I try it only shows one selection out of three. I also wanted to include a speedometer (red/yellow/green) but that graph is not included.

6.0/10
Saksham K.

Very powerful yet very complicated

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Pros

Pros:
Lot of options to bring in your data
You can apply custom SQL queries and manage different sources based on that
Ability to customize your view as per your preference

Cons

Cons:
Very complicated interface once you start to bring in your data
Applying SQL queries is good but again very difficult & complicated

SATISFIED

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/07/30

PRIVATE

Pros

ORGANIZED FUNCTIONALITY, AND THE MANNER IT RESOLVES VARIOUS KINDS OF BARRIERS.

Cons

ORGANIZED A LOT OF SECTIONS OF CORPORATE AREAS I AM WORK IN.