Spanning

Kim P.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Backups made easy

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

If you discard it’s faults, it’s a good service and works as it should for what you need.

Pros

They offer a free trial. You get unlimited backups which makes it ideal for businesses with tons of data. It supports all file types, which is pretty rare to find in a backup service.

Cons

Doesn’t have a mobile app. Very few scheduling options. Any issues and you have to wait on customer support to contact you back.

Aaron K.
Industry: Education Management

Spanning Backup for G Suite makes backup and recovery simple.

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

Spanning is easy to use and staff have access to the tool (if allowed) to recover their data without needing IT Support. It allows them to feel like they are empowered and in control and not to be embarrassed by having to ask.

Being cloud based means the manual tasks of physical backups is gone freeing up time and effort to be spent in other areas.

Secure
Dependable
Price
Cloud Based
Self Service for staff

Cons

Deleted staff backup recovery is not obvious.
Weekly reporting can be a bit cryptic.

Steve G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Solid, works well, but locked in to the provider

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/12/22

It did the job while I used it. However, I ultimately decided to replace it with CubeBackup in order to regain control of my stored backups.

Pros

Solid and reliable. Does what it says on the tin.

Cons

Locked in to the provider for backup storage.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Rik T.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Unitrends Spanning Backup

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

The ability to restore One drive files from deleted users is MUCH easier than the same process through powershell.

Pros

Once you get set up it's pretty much independent. No further tweaking needed. No schedules, no worries.

Cons

GUI was a little difficult to set up for a lot of users. Needed to get into powershell to license for a large group.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Vedran Š.

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Great experience so far with backing up all G Suite accounts (emails, docs...)

Pros

Ease of overall usage, does what it has to do.
Flexible licensing, great support.

Cons

Nothing in particular.
Sometimes errors appear in backup, but mostly the problem is on Google's side and is resolved in a day or two.

Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Reliable and easy-to-use

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2020/01/03

This software is very useful when I go offline and lose my connection to the cloud.

Pros

If you want to back your Google cloud services (e-mail, drive, calendars etc) up, this software seems to be the easiest tool for you. Here we have an unlimited storage opportunity and a free trial period, it is enough to feel comfort of it.

Cons

If you don't have enough space at your Google account, then you should empty some..

Paul M.
Industry: Computer Software

Great company until it was taken over by Kaseya

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Pros

Simple to use cloud-based and reasonably priced

Cons

The customer service and billing process. After Kaseya took over the company when the billing renewal occurred there was no simple way to pay for the services. They requested us to use some weird helpdesk form to put our credit card in for billing which seemed unusual and suspicious. Then they did not bill us for more than a month once we followed this even though we followed their instructions. Got angry and told us we need to pay even when they did not bill us, we then decided to cancel the service cancelled our services with them, and advised them. Their response was to put our debt with a debt collection. Hopeless!

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Kevin H.
Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Beware Bait and Switch!

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

We tried their backup for GSuite and although it initially took a long time to index everything it seemed to work as expected. We then bought a couple licenses, but when reviewing the settings found that the team drive backup disappeared and it said to email support. We emailed support and they said "To have Team Drive Backup enabled for your domain, we ask that you have at least 90 percent of your users licensed with Spanning." which doesn't make sense for our business since most of our users are very light email-only users. Nowhere is this requirement documented in their terms, quotes, faq, master service agreement, service level agreement, "definitive guide to backup for gsuite" or administrator's guide.

Pros

Software can do what it says, and setup is fairly straight forward, but beware you are likely to get caught without backups when you need them most!

Cons

Google Team Drive Backup is enabled during the trial but after you purchase they disable it on you without warning.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

William F.
Industry: Photography
Company size: Self Employed

Peace of mind.

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

Pros

So our team kept losing emails. Not sure if they were accidentally being deleted or if it was a network problem but we lost many many emails and documents in google drive. So this is where spanning came in. Wonderful to have the peace of mind and I cant tell you have many times its saved my butt.

Cons

I wish it were a bit cheaper, or it would backup an entire team under one domain. like a entire google apps acount.

Jp G.
Industry: Investment Management

Excellent Salesforce Backup Utility

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Backing up both Salesforce records and metadata was critical to our organization, as we've invested dozens of hours into creating a Salesforce framework and populating data. Spanning's backup solution seamlessly integrates with Salesforce and allows us to track the status of our backups and restore selected information with ease. The price was exceptionally reasonable for a small and cost-conscious organization such as ours.

Pros

Spanning is easy to use, effective, and has great customer support. One of Spanning's most valuable features is that it functions withing Salesforce, integrating very well and eliminating the need to visit another website or use a different application to check the status of and access backups.

Cons

While initial sales and setup support can be conducted via phone, ongoing support is primarily conducted via email.

Richard T.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

SaaS needs protection -- and Spanning just works!

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/10/03

I've been using Spanning Backup to backup our company Google Apps since we first migrated to that platform.

Even though Google provides their own backup service, it is not intuitive and so Spanning makes it very easy for me to see when my data has been backed up, and easily restore any individual emails, files or files directly.

It's very simple to set up and use, and I've found the support to be excellent.

What more could you want?

Pros

The peace of mind it gives me that my Google Apps data is backed up and easily restored when I need it.

The fact that Spanning integrates directly into Google Apps.

The great customer service I've received whenever I have a question.

Cons

The interface might do with an overhaul -- but it's certainly very useable as is.

Bill W.
Industry: Information Services

Spanning

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Overall positive, recovery capabilities and interface is excellent

Pros

Very advanced functionality. Ease of setup and recovery.

Cons

Integration with VSA could be more featured

Mayank W.

Spanning Backup savior

Reviewed on 2018/12/08

The overall experience has been great

Pros

The only software used by me for backup has been spanning backup this is the best back up everyday Salesforce gsuite or Outlook

Cons

No nothing has been disappointing for me till now

Industry: Music

Spanning offers the best SaaS Backup!

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

Pros

Spanning was recommended to me by an associate, because I was looking for something that would work with Salesforce. I've been pleased ever since. They protect us from malware, hackers, accidental deletion, and there's no storage limitations.

Cons

Spanning has yet to let me down. Their point-in-time restore has come in handy more often than not.

Marya C.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Great In-App UI

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/10/04

Pros

It's easy to navigate the User Interface. I love that the User Interface is built within Salesforce.

Cons

I've only reached out to support once and it took a bit of going back and forth to get the answer I needed.

Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Robust Backup Solution

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

We needed a way to backup our Google domain. Initially this was to just backup emails, but once we migrated to Google Drive, then all files needed to be backed up. This allowed us to eliminate aging on-premise hardware and expensive, clunky SSD backup drives.

Pros

Ease of use. Ease of Administration. Single Sign-On. Perpetual backups of emails and files. Easy and quick restore process. User emulation. No hardware or physical media to maintain.

Cons

Cost per account is a bit expensive relative to other solutions. Single threaded restore queue means that one restore has to complete before another can begin which is analogous to old-school media, but seems there could be a different way for this to work in a web-based solution.