ScaleGrid

James D.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

ScaleGrid for Startups

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

As the CTO of an Ad Tech startup which is currently disrupting the broadcast and broadband marketing industry, I truly appreciate how ScaleGrid is helping us rapidly grow and scale our cutting edge platform (advocado.media). ScaleGrid streamlines the MongoDB dev ops and allows us to focus on building out the business critical features that are driving the growth of our platform.

Pros

The ease of use was fantastic! The dev ops that goes into setting up scalable and redundant MongoDB clusters in Microsoft Azure is fairly daunting, but ScaleGrid automates 95% of that! They also make it very easy to switch from Azure to AWS, an initiative of ours which is currently underway. We are also currently implementing a sharding solution for improved horizontal scalability and ScaleGrid has made that process much easier to manage as well.

Cons

There is not much to not like about ScaleGrid. My biggest complaint is the lack of multi user account with groups and access controls, this forces us to use a single login to manage our ScaleGrid instances, which is not ideal. I think the monitoring metrics are in a pretty good place now but could be improved to be more on par with what you get from a more mature platform like AWS RDS for example.

Aaron F.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: Self Employed

Just works!

Reviewed on 2020/09/17

Exceptional product and exceptional customer service.

Pros

Although I could have spun up yet another database in Azure or AWS, I found during the proof of concept stage that even though it is an Azure or AWS solution that ScaleGrid is managing, the throughput and reliability is much higher.
In fact, it is because ScaleGrid effectively manage the instance for us that I decided to let them take the hassle.

Cons

It is slightly more expensive than going direct but the value add of being fully managed and pre-configured was worth the additional spend.

Dylan C.

Moditar 2020 Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/13

Being able to have dedicated setups is great for us. We are a technology company, focused on software, with minimal skills, time and resources around networking and hardware setups. We also really enjoy the no hidden costs approach, with no "unknown" fees. this helps dramatically when budgeting.

Pros

The dashboard is great for tracking, and although the functionality around accessing the db via the console is limited, it does the job we need it to. Alerts definitely help. Customer service is my best part, the team is great, always responds to our messages and queries and sometimes are already investigating issues they picked up before us. great job!

Cons

Console often gets stuck loading, i need to reboot and then everything is fine. when building a DB, it would be fantastic to be able to choose an IOPS level with the package. The team has been very helpful with us, helping us upscale our drives to allow for more IOPS when we do not need any more storage space.

Dylan M.

Untitled Review

Reviewed on 2020/09/17

Pros

We previously used mlab for our hosted MongoDB needs, but they shut down. Out of all competitors ScaleGrid stood out to us because of their fair pricing and simple setup.

Cons

We would have liked to have our test/staging environment on a different cluster. This would double our costs though. Mlab offered free environments for testing. They had very small data allowance, but it was perfect for us. We now had to opt into having our test database live on the same cluster. It's okay, but that could be improved. Accessing backups is also cumbersome. Often I just need to look up something that for instance got deleted by accident. These are small issues and definitely not a deal breaker.

Adrian C.
Industry: Online Media
Company size: Self Employed

A bit expensive for start-ups

Reviewed on 2020/09/17

Pros

It was easy to deploy, doesn't force me to upgrade other dependent environments.

Cons

It's more than double the price for small start-ups then what mLab offered. There was a comparable shared cluster subscription, but it seems like they stopped offering it as soon as mLab users were forced to move elsewhere due to an acquisition from MangoDB (Atlas).

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Derek M.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Easy to setup no issues yet

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

So far no issues.=

Pros

Setup a production Mongo database in less than a few hours. I had a few questions for the support team and they were quick to respond.

Cons

It wasn't clear to me about which nodes I should setup the replica set. Support helped me with this.

Jonathan S.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

The fastest / easiest way to stand up cloud PostgreSQL, whether for dev or enterprise production

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

Excellent. From fast setup to extremely fast support via email and chat. No lengthy conversations, but very responsive and knowledgeable help. The database service has been 100% rock solid and fast. Data communication is superb (no doubt DreamHost is one a couple of major Internet backbones). Very very pleased with the experience to date. As we move into production, I'd really like to see how we can add some of the more advanced features such as geographical load balancing, horizontal scaling, etc. but, if possible, stay with ScaleGrid as our "front end", as our experience has been so positive, and taken a significant burden off our own team.

Pros

I've been a fan of PostgreSQL for many years, and when we determined that it was an excellent choice for our start up in healthcare informatics, pharmacovigilance and drug safety, we next had to choose a cloud hosting platform to get it up and running ASAP. We started by looking into the major DaaS cloud hosts and could certainly have gone directly with AWS, GCP or Azure (among others), but all of these required an "expert" to spec, price and implement correctly - and were, frankly, overkill for getting us out of the gate. ScaleGrid was (and is) dramatically different: they have a limited offering -- a few different DBMS's and a standard set of server / instance specs to choose from when getting started. In short -- with a credit card, I was able to select a PostgreSQL configuration and place my order within about 5 minutes. A note popped up telling me that my instance was being prepared -- and then about 5 minutes later I had the instance up and running. This was stunningly simple, including my choice of back end host services (e.g., AWS, Azure, DreamHost -- we went with DreamHost). So -- with about 10 or 15 minutes setup, I had a fully functional PostgreSQL 12.x server up and running, with 300GB capacity, no hidden traffic fees, and total costs just a couple of hundred dollars a month.

Cons

The management console is OK. Nothing terrible, but some richer controls would be nice, bringing in, perhaps, the functionality that's available in tools like PGAdmin, and making it easier to see / administer all the user roles and their permissions from the console. Many years ago, I was spoiled by the GUI admin tools that MS SQL Server provides -- I'd love to see that built in for PostgreSQL, but it simply doesn't exist. If a host like ScaleGrid could add this in as their own management layer, it would be compelling. But the lack of this really isn't an issue, and not a big downside for me.

Shikhir A.
Industry: Computer Software

A good overall solution, especially if you bring your own credits

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Fast and attentive customer service, absolutely no complaints there. Discounts for start-ups and bringing your own credits are unique features, and ScaleGrid pushes this option - which is good if you have credits and plan to use a cloud like AWS: certainly worth using, as you still retain full control over your instance. In our use case we really needed Postgres, so still waiting for that, but overall we are pleased with the customer service and general product that ScaleGrid offers!

Pros

The "Bring your Own Cloud" is pretty intuitive and the very strong (90%+) start-up discounts make it a no-brainer if you go that route; the interface makes it easier to manage deployments when they're supported. Fast and friendly customer service - well above average for sure!

Cons

- Not so much a con, but Postgres (which we were told was to be in beta a while ago) still doesn't seem to be an option yet. This was something we hoped to use ScaleGrid for.
- Again, less of a con and more of a remark: Bring your Cloud is great (if you have the credits and plan to rely on that cloud), but - as is usually the case with these things - it could use faster versioning (though this is often tied to the upstream cloud though, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it).

Stan V.
Industry: Computer Games

Happy customer and good pricing

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

Pros

Instant setup, fast scale ups, Redis sentinel single endpoint, high uptime (haven't experienced any down time since I started using Scalegrid). The pricing is most important to me, I'm really happy.

Cons

Not accepting PayPal or iDeal as payment method, just anything besides credit card.
Not possible to scale down Redis deployments, for example the RAM.

Guilherme S.
Industry: Internet

Great service with great support!

Reviewed on 2020/09/21

I am very pleased.

Pros

I love that it does many of the management that I had to do manually in a competitor and with a very great support.

Cons

The price is a little bit high for my country, but it i worth.

Andrew R.

ScaleGrid makes running a resilient MongoDB cluster easy

Reviewed on 2018/05/18

Easy to implement and run database operations.

Pros

ScaleGrid is easy to use and helps take the complexity out of running and maintaining a resilient MongoDB cluster. We like the ability to Bring [Y]Our Own Cloud because we want to keep as much control over our data as possible such as in which jurisdiction it is stored, and how it is secured. The fact that we can use our own cloud account and private subnets in multiple Availability Zones increases the security and resilience of our database operations.

Security features such as access controls, data at rest encryption and data in transit encryption are easy to enable. Operational duties like backup are easy to setup and tailor to suit. We also expect that leveraging ScaleGrid will help manage the performance, maintenance and growth/scaling of our database operations into the future.

Cons

We'd like ScaleGrid to think about making its management system available in [Y]Our Own Cloud so that the agents don't have a need to connect and report externally. We don't need it now, but we expect we may need in the future.

Cliff D.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Setup and run several MongoDBs using the service. Setup is simple and support is very helpful.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Saved us time and money. It never went down. It always worked !

Pros

I've been using this service for over 3 years and never had any issue with it. The service is super solid and has saved me a lot of time when managing and setting up Mongo databases. I originally started using this services for dev work but I quickly made the transition to also run my production workload.

The services makes it super simple to get up and running in a few minutes. They abstract out a lot of the pain points when managing a Mongo DB. The services handles my backups so I dont' have to ever think about it. Also, you can see the machines and get root access to them in case you need to really get under the hood.

Support is great I love the chat feature. They will go beyond their scope and help you with unique situations. They really helped my clone a bunch of databases and saved me a lot of time.

Cons

Very little is not to like. At times features can be a little buried in the software. However, I was on the service since the start and they have always made things better with time.

ScaleGrid makes it easy to run secure, managed, and scalable Mongo infrastructure.

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

We were able to significantly reduce our time to market by using ScaleGrid. Once we did launch we reduced our need for a dedicated Mongo DBA which effectively paid for the cost of the service.

Pros

Easy to use web console. Flexible security options. Responsive support team. That combination of pros really made it easy to roll out the product in our test, stage, and production environments. Once it was rolled out, on-going administration with just as easy.

Cons

Web console is limited to a single user account. We have been told multiple accounts is in the development schedule.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Silke J.

Customer for many years, excellent service and customer support

Reviewed on 2018/04/25

Pros

Software delivers what I need, and the support is prompt and professional. The service runs very stable, and whenever there was an issue or I needed support, I was promptly given it.

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about the product. I can only recommend it and we are absolutely happy with all aspects of the service.

Industry: Computer Software

I have to come to rely on the stability and support that Scalegrid have provided

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Pros

Scalegrid has always been there to support any needs we have and the software just works. We have several collections with millions of records and there is never an issue.

Cons

There is nothing I would change about this product. It is great. The UI/UX is done well and the site is always performant.

Quentin M.

Easy to set up, is always up and available. ScaleGrid has been great for our company.

Reviewed on 2018/04/28

Pros

Very easy to set up and SSL was simple to add. We have had no unexpected outages with ScaleGrid and the price point is perfect for our company.

Cons

ScaleGrid satisfies everything that we currently require from a MongoDB host. I have not come across anything that I dislike yet.

Ernest C.
Industry: Computer Software

Ease of management and monitoring for start up

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Having been using Scalegrid for a few weeks, I am quite satisfied with the overall experience.

Pros

As a startup, we use Redis, Mongodb and Mysql extensively in our projects but we do not have dedicated resources for database administration. Scalegrid allows us to focus on developing features that align with our business priorities, rather than the mundane system admin work. We can centrally monitor all our databases in one console and better yet, have all of them hosted on our own AWS account.

Cons

Companies like ours outsource to a managed solution because we don't have the necessary resources and skills to manage these databases professionally. It would be help to add more expert advise and best practice and knowledge sharing throughout the console to guide us to the best practice management. For example, what should we be worried about, key metrics and why is that important. An AI bot in the console would be nice.

Truong T.
Industry: Retail

Great, hassle free solution for our MongoDB need

Reviewed on 2018/04/25

Pros

Ease of use, hassle free. The support team is also very responsive with questions from our engineering team.

Cons

Nothing to be complained about at the moment, it's a fully hosted solution so we don't have to worry about anything.

Shankar S.

Worth for Money, Quick response from support

Reviewed on 2018/04/25

Pros

BYOC, easy accessible GUI, Reports to filter out slow and un-indexed queries.
Built in alert rules are more than enough to notify any issues. quick response from support.

Cons

Weekly digest email of performance hits, improvements and how we can remediate would be much useful for production databases. can reduce the cost.

Eli S.
Industry: Entertainment

Scalegrid is a great MongoDB hosting solution

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

We chose Scalegrid because it allowed us to deploy MongoDB clusters in our own AWS cloud, letting us use our AWS credits towards our instances. Importing our existing data was painless, and Scalegrid's console makes it very easy for us to manage and monitor our clusters. Their support team has also been very helpful and quick to respond whenever we've had any questions.

Pros

Scalegrid is one of the few hosting providers we found that allowed us to deploy MongoDB instances in our own AWS cloud. The Scalegrid console provides many useful tools that help to simplify our database management, including scheduled backups and slow query analysis. Deploying a new MongoDB cluster is easy and their support team is quick to respond to issues.

Cons

Certain tasks, such as scaling down a cluster, cannot be performed from the Scalegrid console and must be done by contacting their support team.

ScaleGrid fills a lack of AWS and offers an easy way to manage our cluster mongo

Reviewed on 2018/04/28

Pros

1/ Deployment on our own AWS account
2/ On-demand scaling (already tested twice on production)
3/ Automatic backup

Cons

- High costs
- Missing backup feature: I would like to automatically push backup on AWS S3
- Missing backup policy customisation: I would like to keep backup from 2w, 3w, 1m, 6m

Dan S.

Easy way to start a server without having to configure much

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

Pros

Point and click, start up server using own infrastructure. Easy enough to configure, insightful analytics.

Cons

Costs are extremely high for using own infrastructure; essentially we're paying 2x purchasing price on AWS and Scalegrid; whereas scalegrid isn't anything but a control panel for AWS.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

John M.
Industry: Public Safety

ScaleGrid quickly simplified our infrastructure, helping us focus on the problems that matter.

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Stability and simplicity

Pros

The Redis service was provisioned quickly and worked great out-of-the-box. Removing Redis from our own app deployment has eliminated some complexity and helps keep us lean and stable.

Cons

Our understanding is that ScaleGrid engineers have full access to all of the data we are storing in the service. This presents a data security issue to our corporate clients, especially in light of new GDPR laws in the EU. For this reason we could not move our Mongo database to ScaleGrid, only our Redis DB which does not hold sensitive data. It would be ideal if ScaleGrid did not access the instance data once provisioning is complete.

Response from ScaleGrid

Thanks for your feedback! The ScaleGrid SaaS application (https://scalegrid.io) provides a "fully managed" Database-as-a-Service solution. While it's not possible to provide a fully managed solution without access to the data, we do provide another "Private deployments" model where you can use our software and automation, but our support team does not have access to the data. This model might be better for your application, and if you drop a note to our support team, we are happy to set up a time to discuss.

ScaleGrid is also fully GDPR compliant and provides a Data Protection Addendum here: https://scalegrid.io/dpa.html

Misha I.

Great customer service but could be cheaper

Reviewed on 2018/04/25

Pros

customer support when I had questions about my MongoDB collection size -- they got back to me very quickly and resolved my concern

Cons

Cost is a bit too high - I really do not think that hosting one MongoDB should cost more

Rodrigo de castro R.
Industry: Internet

Best hosted MongoDB I've found so far. Great support and easy to use interface.

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Pros

After trying different MongoDB hosted solutions I've found ScaleGrid and gave it a try. Their support team is awesome and they helped me migrate my 2.x mongodb version to a new instance with 3.4 version. I've migrated my dev and prod environments in a matter of hours.
Big pros:
- You can use your own AWS account (BYOC)
- If you have credits you can use them towards your VMs on your cloud provider
- Support team (100%!)
- Slow queries report (this is great to fine tune our queries)
- Easy to use dashboard interface

Cons

So far i'm very satisfied with the service and can't think of anything I disliked. I can update this review once I have something.