ContentKing Reviews

4.9/5 (48 reviews)
Brandon Z.

Website SEO (and general health) monitoring made easy

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

Content King has made it possible for me to continuously keep a finger on the pulse of my client's websites. This is a big step up from intermittent diagnostic scans.

Pros

1) Website Overview: With Content King I can see the whole picture of a website: How the URLs are laid out, the health score of each page, and any problems/issues they may have (including broken links or pages that can't be indexed).

2) Track Changes: What truly sets Content King apart from any other scanning tool I've used is: Content King tracks changes. It's not a one-off scan, or merely a recurring scan. Content King keeps a running list of the changes for each page. If you're in the businesses of monitoring client websites and providing maintenance, this is a game changer.

Example: Content King notified me that several pages had gone "missing" on one of my client's sites. Turns out, they were consolidating several pages into one new page. However, they hadn't setup any 301 redirects to let Google know they weren't merely removed. Thanks to Content King, I was aware of the change and was able to advise my client accordingly.

3) Easy to Use: Content King has a wonderfully designed user interface. Feels fresh and new.

4) Website Migration: I haven't had the opportunity to use Content King to monitor the success of a website migration yet, but I'm looking forward to that.

5) Notifications and Reports: Content King notifies me of any major issues that pop up on a website, and they also send a weekly summary/graph so I can see an overview of what's going on with each of the websites I monitor.

6) Support: Very helpful and responsive support.

Cons

1) False Positives: Occasionally there are false positives where Content King reports a page as missing when the page is there. Luckily, when you view a page in Content King, it immediately re-scans/checks that URL, which can clear up any false positives right away.

2) Weekly Report Links: When reviewing the weekly report email, clicking the change in health and issues metrics goes to the website's dashboard rather than a view of specific changes that happened over the last week. I'd like to see that improved.

Response from ContentKing

Hi Brandon, thanks so much for your review!

Regarding your suggestions for improvement: we've resolved the problem with the occasional false positive and are currently working on displaying changed issues straight from the email report. Thanks again for your feedback!

Koen V.

ContentKing is a great analytical tool that has given us greater insight into our clients' websites.

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

ContentKing has allowed us to keep better track of our clients' websites, discover new opportunities for optimization, pinpoint content management risks and focus our efforts to educate our clients.

Pros

Our clients rely on us to optimize their websites and boost traffic and conversion. Our work is never finished, which means we need tools that never stop looking. One of the biggest advantages of ContentKing is that it supports us in every step of our process. New clients often think they need a complete rebuild of their website. ContentKing helps us determine whether that is actually necessary and, if so, why it is necessary. And once we've built the new website, it keeps track of a wide range of important on-site metrics that might slip through the cracks otherwise.

Cons

ContentKing requires users to specify an allotment of pages for each website they want to track. While this certainly helps keep the total number of tracked pages within the bounds of our plan, it is often difficult to determine exactly how many pages a given website has in advance. It would be helpful if ContentKing gave some insight into this number, allowing us to more accurately adjust the tracking budget.

Marc T.

Very easy to use and it keeps me up to date about the status of many websites.

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

The tool gives me live updates about changes on a website which is very helpful when you work with many clients at an agency.

When you work with big websites (10.000 plus pages) it's very helpful you don't have to crawl a websites yourself but you just have to log in to access your websites data.

Cons

Exporting data to Excel can be done eassier, I have to add the domain of a website to the URL myself. Also when I check the hreflang tag I want to see which countries are linked in a overview. Now I only can see there is a tag, which is already very helpful but seeing which countries and languages are used would be easier.

Response from ContentKing

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your review!

Regarding your comment on exports: we've added the "Full URL" column which contains both the protocol (HTTP or HTTPS) and the domain name, so that's solved. Thanks for your input!

William J.

An affordable solution that solves the issue of ongoing SEO performance monitoring

Reviewed on 2018/06/19

Proactive monitoring of client websites' SEO to identify important issues before they have a performance impact.

Pros

We run a SEO, PPC and Analytics agency and we rely on ContentKing to monitor our client websites and alert us to performance issues. Before ContentKing we would manually check websites periodically and often miss errors introduced by client developers that would cause a direct impact on a clients bottom line. ContentKing has been invaluable here and is at a price point that is affordable for an agency to absorb as a direct cost. I highly recommend it.

Cons

The API functionality is currently in an early form, I know that ContentKing is working on this and it'll be interesting to see what comes of the API but at the moment this is one of the few things we'd like to see changed.

One of a kind tool

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Content changes and alerts are the biggest selling points.

Pros

There's nothing like it on the market today. Depending on how you want to use it it's either a great tool to detect errors (e.g. sudden 301 changes) or to track content changes historically on the website. We use it for all of our clients larger clients to keep track of sudden content changes.

Cons

UX is great but could definitely use some improvement. It's changing every week so they're definitely active in updating the tool.

Response from ContentKing

Thank you for your review! UX is actually one of our focus points, so if there's anything in particular that we could improve please let us know through our live chat :) User input drives 90% of our development roadmap, so we're always eager to get feedback.

Oombawka design R.

Straightforward and Easy To Use SEO Tool

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

This software is helping me to take control of my site and the seo issues I didn't even realize it had. It is also allowing me to fix these issues quickly and track all the changes I've made. It audits my site regularly to make sure everything is as it should be and notifies me when something changes.

Pros

Ease of use. It is very straightforward and this makes it super easy to use for regular website and blog owners. You don't need to be an SEO Guru to be able to manage and improve your SEO on your site. Audits are run on your sites and you are notified of all possible SEO issues and you are able to sort them by priority as well as ignore those that you do not need to focus on or fix. Each suggestion is clickable and you can go right to the page or post on your site to fix what you need to fix.

I test-drove more than 5 other SEO Tools this spring and Content King is by far the most user friendly and it does everything I want it to do. It also has the best customer service I've come across out of the tools I've tried.

Cons

The cost is a little bit steep for a blogger (small business). It is definitely worth it though and it is priced very competitively with the other SEO Tools I have test-driven.

Oli L.

It's time to automate those time consuming, manual technical checks!

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

+ An innovative platform that proactively monitors all your sites 24/7, ContentKing turns hours of analysis into minutes, as well as alerting you within minutes of changes occurring on the site.

+ The tracked changes feature highlights exactly what's different, allowing you to quickly prevent an over-enthusiastic client or developer from undermining your SEO efforts.

+ Also one of the only services on the market with scalable pricing based on your exact usage (in pages), rather than having to fit your requirements into a predefined package, as is the case with most SaaS providers.

Cons

No real concerns for us using ContentKing, it's a developing platform with new features being added regularly and a fantastic support team to clear up any issues and listen to new feature requests.

One of the most impressive SEO automation tools I've used

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

It really boils down to the fact that it automates a number of previously-manual, boring processes quite effectively. It greatly reduces the stress of managing a website when you know all of the technicalities are being monitored for issues 24/7.

Pros

+ Incredibly easy initial set up
+ "Set and forget"
+ Caught a number of site issues I quite honestly never would have diagnosed otherwise
+ Takes care of some of the most boring parts of my job
+ Pricing is better than that of other similar products

Cons

- Feature set could be built out a bit more - not worried here, as they release new features often and seem to have spot-on priorities.
- Mobile app could be cool, not entirely necessary though.

Remco V.

Great tool for monitoring your website quality, on general webmanagement and SEO detaild level

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

- Quality control on technical and SEO level on multiple domains / thousands of pages.
- This tool makes it possible to decide on which element optimization has the most impact.
- Opening eyes of colleagues that the technical condition (fundament) of your website is crucial to be successful online. And that most technical subjects are not so difficult to understand (change or implement) after all.

Pros

- Easy to use and all elements are explained in simple wordings
- Fast customer service and helpful expert feedback
- Alert system which keeps it manageable to react on issues and bugs on detail level
- Tracked changed on page level can be checked at all times

Cons

- In the overall dashboards, the website health history is displayed on day or weekly basis. Maybe it is more interesting to see the trend over a longer period (month / year)

Stanimir M.

A must-have for any business

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

visibility and continuous control over our content
peace of mind
increased organic search traffic

Pros

It gives me the information I need out of the box. It gives me visibility on the SEO and overall health of our website. It provides immediate actionable insights. It gives me a peace of mind that our growing website is monitored with the deep expertise from ContentKing.
I love the interface!
And I like that the ContentKing team keeps introducing new valuable features all the time. I love the new Google Analytics integration - very useful!

Cons

It is hard to point anything out because ContentKing does provide the value it promises. You can tell that there was a lot of thought put into it.

Neil A.

Fantastic for avoiding any SEO disasters!

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

We can ensure that our development and search visibility teams are now fully aligned, and any SEO disasters are quickly averted thanks to the real time change tracking.

Pros

Love the real time change tracking. It makes it so easy to ensure that our development team don't have any inadvertent adverse impact on our search visibility. UX is fantastic too - shout out to whoever is responsible for that!

The support team are also excellent and respond quickly, very impressed.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of anything I really dislike. Perhaps the per-page pricing can be a little awkward at first (wasn't entirely sure how many pages we had) but that's a very very minor point in what is overall an excellent product.

Jan-willem D.

Great user friendly SEO tool with actionable insights

Reviewed on 2018/06/25

Pros

Real-time monitoring of the website and keeping track of historical changes. The to do list is very easy to use and actionable. A big advantage compared to other SEO tools. The support is great, ContentKing listen to their users, for example new features

Cons

It is not yet a complete tool. Insights into rankings, a number of additional technical issues are still welcome. In addition, there are occasionally some errors in the monitoring and it is not always 100% current

Jacky C.

Great tool that replaces industry leading software

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Great version control as well as quality assurance.

Pros

My favorite aspect of Content King is the customer service and user experience. You can tell they really invested in these two pillars.

Cons

Pricing can get high once you add a couple larger sites to their tool. Luckily clients are more than happy to pay for it!

Petr S.

ContentKing gives us confidence that we have content under control

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

Better SEO results - organic traffic is the #1 channel for us.

Pros

That we can see the most important things at glance. We have lots of user-generated content as on our site, so there are lots of parts that could break. The email summary and robot.txt check is also very nice - in just a few seconds we know that we can sleep well

Cons

It can be quite complicated to get your head around segment feature and would be nice to have iPhone companion app.

Response from ContentKing

Hi Petr, thank you very much for your kind words! Although we don't have an iPhone app yet, the web app is fully built with usage from mobile devices in mind, so go ahead and give ContentKing a try from your phone.

Evan R.

ContentKing Routinely Saves the Day

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Reliability, change tracking, accountability.

Pros

Love ContentKing and the fact that I know it is always up to date. I don't have to schedule crawls or reports, I just log in and get the latest issues and action items and go on my way. With the record keeping/change tracking, it provides a level of clarity that others tools can not.

Cons

There isn't much to dislike about CK. I really haven't found anything that has been a hinderance to me.

Dennis S.

This is what you absolutely need as an SEO!

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

Pros

This tool has the ability to find SEO problems before they actually become a problem. It monitors complete websites for changes that have a potential to break it SEO wise. Its a must have tool!

Cons

That they weren't there when I needed them a couple of years ago. Honestly, no complaints about it. They have a great support team, if you have anything you don't like or miss, they think about a solution or fill up the developers backlog.

Laurent P.

With ContentKing I can easily resolve SEO issues and work together with clients.

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Pros

This software provides quick access to important SEO data of a website, especially regarding on-page indexability issues. Its user experience is a major asset, as it allows you to work very easily with a client or a web agency. Finally, the historical change tracking information is very useful.

Cons

Some link overviews are not yet exportable in Excel format. But at the pace of how the software evolves, it won't be long!

Steve M.

Works out of the box, efficient, clean.

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

It saves me so much time, enabling me to get generally more efficient at my job. Further to that it protects my websites by ensuring I am informed with any major changes.

Cons

You have to wait until a page is re-crawled before the changes appear in CK. They do provide tools to mitage this though, plus if you look at any page in CK, it will re-crawl it, so it's really not that big of a deal, plus I don't see a way to solve that.

Ruben V.

Proactive tool with actionable insights and real time monitoring.

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

This proactive monitoring tool gives me confidence about a good quality of our websites and saves me a lot of time.

Pros

This tool helps to improve the website SEO and finds issues before they become a problem. It monitors real time our complete website for changes that have a potential to hurt it SEO wise. Some of the errors Contentking found also affected the visitors of our website, so it also helped to give an improved visitor experience. Another pro is the great support team. So, a must have tool!

Cons

Honestly, no complaints. The support team cleared up any issues and listed new feature requests.

Nick P.

Perfect for tracking and troubleshooting on-page issues.

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

I don't have to make manual report of site changes, I get alerts when developer forgets redirects or changes content. I have easy overview of all pages and can segment them. ...

Pros

It saves me so much time. It also alerts me when issues appear, so we can make sure to fix everything before we see ranking drops. The ContentKing team is also updating this tool on a regular basis, making it better every time.

Cons

There used to be no integration with Google Search Console. But they recently added this feature. Thanks for listening to the community, ContentKing team!

ContentKing has taken away hours of manual monitoring and checks when making development changes.

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

Email alerts have taken away the need for any SEO and development worries. If something changes, ContentKing makes sure I know about it.

Cons

There are some specific features I'd like for my situation which aren't yet developed for the app, however I've contacted support and they actually followed up to take a lot of notes and are considering pushing the features out.

Wouter W.

Innovative SEO tool for monitoring your content.

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Quick alerts of technical and content issues on websites of my clients. Explore pages of my clients in one overview with alle SEO-content elements.

Pros

I really like the alerts you get. For many clients in my portfolio I get alerts of SEO issues; broken links, problems with robots.txt files or sitemap problems. ContentKing helps me to alert my clients quicker than ever. And it's saves me time!

Cons

It would be nice in the future if it would also monitor your rankings on certain pages. Because it saves me times using other SEO tools.

Patrick K.

Reviewed on 2018/05/02

Great insight in the websites of our clients

Pros

ContentKing is a great SEO tool, which is easy to use, realiable and great support. Also your client can get access to work together and you get daily monitoring. In all a great tool for a good price.

Cons

Still in development with regular updates. There is nothing that I have not liked about this software.

Charlotte M.

Content King gives a very clear insight of what's going on on my website at any time !

Reviewed on 2018/05/02

Pros

Its reports are very complete and you can customize them to better fit your needs by ignoring some issues (which are not truly important). Also, every time I had the slightest issue and I had contacted the customer support, there were very patient and nice to help me understand what was going on or how could I achieve what I wanted to do.
From a UX point of view, the interface is very user-friendly and nice to use. You have a general overview of your website's situation and then you can dig deeper into what matters to you.
What I also like is that they keep a history of what has happened on the pages so that you can go back in time and assess the improvements made on a specific page or understand when and why a page started to derail.

Cons

I don't feel really concerned by this section since the team was always willing to help me master Content King and was always very interested in having feedbacks to keep improving the software. Lately, for instance, they released a new function giving you the opportunity to connect your Content King account to your Search Console account to always have a better insight of what's going on with your website.

Joshua J.

At First I Was Like What? Then I Was Like "OH!"

Reviewed on 2018/05/03

Gave me insights on sites in almost real times as well as a list of page changes that I made in a given month to make it easier to report back to clients.

Pros

+ The service. When I first started, the chat box actually had a human that was operating it and they didn't just point me to their not-so-helpful support page (like everyone else).

+ Seeing Updated Pages - As an agency I thought, ok so it crawls the pages more than once a month, big deal. Then I realized it gave me an opportunity to show clients changes by tracking those especially for moments when the CMS doesn't show the changes you made.

+ Pretty awesome they just integrated with GSC.

Cons

- It's not immediately easy to see what you could use it for if your not too technical. When I first started using it, I just thought, "what?" why would you need to crawl a site that often, then it dawned on me.

- It has the same issues that most of these tools have. There's no actionable intel that it gives you directly. You have to derive it for yourself.

Response from ContentKing

Hi Joshua, thanks for your review!

Regarding your point about actionable intel: that's actually what we solve :) Could you share some specific examples of this, so I can look into it and resolve your problems?