Denali FUND Reviews

Denali FUND

Nonprofit accounting software

4.1/5 (100 reviews)

Not as good as CMS Pro but heading in excellent direction

Reviewed on 2017/06/02

Pros

For the money, the features are excellent and I challenge you to find a better product in the price range. We have been using CMS since 1992. In fact, I still have one business doing in same revenue still using the DOS version. We also use Pro for some businesses and one business is now on Denali. The product is excellent. We didn't want to change from CMS PRO but had to. Denali is strong. Not yet better than PRO but most users won't know the difference. Bottom line: solid accounting foundation, well organized, more than capable for wholesale distributor. We are heavily customized which was not possible with Denali. Thankfully, they have partners that are very capable. I have always considered CMS one of the best business decisions I ever made.

Cons

Somewhat slower to use. Screens are not colored well so can be hard to use/ see what you're doing. I wish they would at least acknowledge the strengths of CMS Pro and work harder to identify and incorporate them into Denali. Oh, the new software programming doesn't allow you to easily move the data and run it from another location. That was a huge advantage when hard drives failed or we needed to move systems. It will be much harder now. These are not big issues but they are cons from my perspective. I'd still buy the product any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

David G.

Fund accounting and Cougar Mtn. customer service

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

The thing that frustrates me the most about your program with the issues it does have is not the program. It is the customer service as it pertains to how you justify your billing me. Recently I had an issue with the payroll module and sent information in to be reviewed. This turned into a 2-hour phone call that cost me. The instructions in your help and field names is misleading. So misleading that the rep and I couldn't figure out what was going on during that 2-hour phone call. I finally figured it out and sent a follow-up email to you guys. What I got was a wasted two hours and a bill on my training hours. Not happy at all as well when it cost me to point out errors when your system has errors in it, like the new drill down report in the Audit Trail, and I get billed for it. Do not only do I get billed for something that wasn't even clear to Kevin. I get billed for pointing out calculation problems with your program. Why should I get billed for bringing things up that are incorrect in the way your program works or process errors that your staff can't point out? I am not happy with the end result of your customer service! Those who help me are great in the eagerness to help, but those who make the real customer service calls on the billing I am very disappointed in their decisions. So much so... I would warn any prospective client of yours to beware. You do not seem to be able to take ownership of your issues. You pass them on to your customers.

Pros

I like how it allocates. But I hate it that once in the system, the system treats every transaction in the allocation as a separate transaction instead of an allocation.

Cons

The accounting program has to be accurate and data usable. I have found problems in your program and was told it that it was not meant to be used as an auditing tool. My response is it should be accurate! It is an accounting program. On the data useful side, it is not as useful as your sales staff made it out to be for FUND accounting. To get our billing out last month I had to sort through 40 pages of transactions and do hand calculations to meet the requirements of our fund managers. I get to do that again this month. Makes me wonder how this is supposed to be a program that is for FUND accounting. Yes, your company is aware of my frustration here and the kind of reporting is needed.

2.0/10
Mark B.

Many features not right. My CPA hates the software.

Reviewed on 2017/09/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Anything that is wrong with the software, they make you feel it's your fault, or they designed it that way.
Customer service feels like it's run by a your worst nightmare of a Cable Company.

Pros

History. I love history for my customer's past purchase. Multi Level Pricing for inventory. 2 Must haves for my business.

Cons

Software is more suited for a simple Cash drawer.
Forget a mixed environment, card swipe and online terminals for Credit card processing. Even Cougar Mountain does not use integrated Card Processing themselves.

Credit Cards processed though Sales do not show in Bank Reconciliation, yet Card Payments in AR do show in Bank Reconciliation.
Ask why, Because you might not make the deposit from the Sale. Just a example of odd answers from Management.

Many things just don't work the way they should. Warnings that an invoice is not printed before posting also include any on hold order not printed.

Ship To address files have crossed variables. A Ship To Company Name is NOT used anywhere but in the UI for entering. Contact name becomes the Ship to Company name. This was "designed" this way.

eDelivery for Invoices/Statements still limited to 75 pages per run after software has been around for a year. Their solution, just select less than 75.
eDelivery Software then tosses out system level errors. Solution, Reboot your computer as Windows 10 Pro is at fault. Even a computer from Cougar, setup just for their software.

1.0/10
Lezah S.

Denali Fund Accounting is accurate

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Denali Fund Accounting is very accurate. I rarely have a software issue. I have been using this product over 20 years. I have used other Fund accounting programs and have come back to Denali. It is straight forward and easy to use. It does not have tons of bells and whistles, but it is reliable and accurate. The program works. I use GL, AP, BR and Payroll modules. They integrate well together. You can have custom reports built for your specific use. I like their CD service for upgrades.

Pros

It is accurate. Easy to use. I trust the software . My reports are accurate.

Cons

Sometimes you cannot print in a module by using "Ctrl P

Mary P.

Support is Wonderful

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

Reporting is always a big problem. With Denali FUND we are able to export into files that import easily into Excel and then we can produce reports that make sense for our municipality.

Pros

The support has been fantastic. From implementation to ongoing use, all we have to do is call for help. We almost always get an answer within an hour.

Cons

Payroll setup felt cumbersome but in the long run, the setup was worth it. We now get reports with each payroll that split taxes between departments.

Wendy J.

The staff are very helpful.

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

I like that it intrgrates with the other modules or that you can use each module individually. I am interested in how the payment process will work with our desk top in the sales module.

Cons

It is a bit more costly then our other software was I do not like that I cannot take a debit payment and have it integrate directly with Denali. We use Moneris and I do not know what we could use that would do that.

Kim T.

Denali Fund Cost Effective for Small Municipalities

Reviewed on 2018/10/15

We have used Cougar Mountain for many years and Denali FUND since its inception. Cougar Mountain is very open to feedback and suggested improvements. Their customer support is terrific!

Pros

We get full functionality for our small town government office at a cost we can afford.

Cons

Lack of regional training. Thankfully, it is very user friendly and the HELP features are effective.

Amanda J.

Cougar Mountain Inventory

Reviewed on 2016/12/16

The customer support system is wonderful; however, some of the features such as the copy inventory to multi-location feature have been giving me a real problem.. Especially when I'm adding new items into multiple locations.

Pros

Its easy to use.

Cons

I wish that I could pull inventory reports by date specific, also the copy new inventory gives me some trouble

5.0/10
Georgina R.

Review of Denali

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

Denali is a good software. The transition from another software to Denali was smooth. I believe the software could improve in few ways.
the first thing we noticed is that to back up our organization increased from 5 minutes to 20-25 minutes. My Staff backs up our organization twice a day. this process cuts our productivity by an hour each day.

Pros

it is easy to use.

Cons

the backup process is too long.

Heather A.

Very User Friendly, Needs Almost No Training

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

Ease of use, multiple reports with different parameters, shortcut keys. Customer service is excellent. Reps are super friendly and take time to explain how-tos and/or how they are fixing problems.

Cons

I have found absolutely no cons for this software.

Sandy H.

We learn something new everyday, their customer service is exceptional

Reviewed on 2016/03/31
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The integration of all of the packages and the easy customization to your needs.
I like that you can get as much detail or as little detail as you require on your reports. The financial statements, trial balances, and audit trails work to assist you in finding any posting errors.

Cons

The payroll package. I do not like the payroll reports. I am used to easier payroll reports for my payroll taxes and I do not like that I have to use an outside Payroll company to be able to easily see what I owe. Yes I can figure it out but without the use of the outside Payroll company but with it, it is 1000 times faster. But for the extra cost of the outside company, I doubt my employer would even consider it. The customer service of Cougar Mountain is exceptional. No complaints here.

Angie W.

Denali Review

Reviewed on 2016/12/09

Denali Fund Software is relatively easy to use. A good value for the money. Customer Service has always been helpful.

Pros

Most of the software is easy to use. Has some good report options. I like the ability to copy accounts and funds.

Cons

I do not like the posting process. I do not like that errors cannot be corrected after posting. I would like to see a better GL option. The GL audit report is hard to read - needs a better format.

Cate E.

Director of Finance

Reviewed on 2016/12/16

Initial set up training was problematic and the integration between MS Suite and Crystal Reports is lacking. Customer support is very responsive and I like the simple interface over a very functional system. Cloud-based upgrades very professional and speedy.

Pros

Simple interface with lots of functionality.

Cons

Not fully integrated with MS Suite

David S.

Best value in accounting software I have ever seen.

Reviewed on 2015/11/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It can be tailored to fit nearly any need. With CMS I can get the Custom Modifications I need for some of my special needs. Right out of the box it has so many customizable options you can not imagine what all it can do. If you can not fid a way, just call CMS. They can and will find a way to fit everything you need.

Cons

It is not a pop-the-top and pour software. It can be a little complex for the beginner. But with time and use you can usually make it perform however you need.

Natalie H.

CMS - Denali

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

The software has functions that protect the company from fraud. It is very detailed and the history is easy to look back.

Cons

The price of tech support for just asking a simple question.

John J.

Denali POS Review by Wine Rack

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

Pros

Integration of POS Sales, INV & Account modules, along with stellar customer support.

Cons

Sales screen (Order Entry) could be easier to read with larger font, & less wasted white space.

Bob B.

Great for small to mid-size buisenes

Reviewed on 2018/03/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Modular based product that allows businesses to choose from the suite not forcing businesses to purchase modules that are not needed. The modular base allowed us to purchased what we needed when we were ready.

Cons

The interface is a bit out dated and could use some revamping. The functionality is great just could used an update to the UI.

Marie P.

Great Customer Service, efficent software program

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Pros

Customer service is always friendly and knowledgeable. Denali offers many options to add on based on your needs as a business.

Cons

Not a big fan of the general ledger function

Deb R.

Compliment

Reviewed on 2018/11/26

Pros

Your support team is awesome, so knowledgeable and friendly.

Cons

I would like to be able to customize reports without having to purchase Crystal software, or any other software.

5.0/10
Tom G.

Great for the price, Mostly got it right...

Reviewed on 2016/08/31
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

From an audit standpoint, batch processing, locked transactions and audit trail, easy G/L, full module integration. From an ease of use, straight forward accounting product.

Cons

From an ease of use, graphics and click area make for some clunky functionality. Payroll reporting should provide more detail to make sure quarterly reports can be completed in case Aatrix is unavailable.

Wendy J.

Denali Fund accounting

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

We have been using Denali for two years. It has helped us to keep our records organized and up to date. !!

Pros

I really like the bank rec option.

Cons

I think the point of sale module could be more user-friendly.

Sharon S.

I am currently using the Denali software, having transitioned over from Cougar Mt Pro

Reviewed on 2016/02/15

I am 66 years old, and do not possess all the technical skills of todays youth. Having said that, I learned Cougar Mt Software 25+ years ago. (when DOS based was the norm)! Cougar Mt Pro was easy to learn and work with. The Program writers did a great job with the transitioning into Denali. The Software is easy to access, understand and maneuver though..The Modules were well thought out and set up. It gives me what I need for our Accountant and more so. I'm an extremely cautious person that doesn't go outside the box of what is comfortable for me. For that reason, I "always" purchase and rely on the Support Contract package offered. Its worth every penny! From the girls that take your Support Request, to the Installers of new Updates, the specialist dealing with customized report needs and I can not forget or say enough good about the Technical personnel! With 25 years of working with Cougar Mt., I can honestly say the Customer Service Representatives are outstanding! Everyone is courteous, knowledgeable and focused. In the fast pace world we are in and everyone needing help "now", the turn around time from call to help is minimal. Everyone at Cougar Mt is so dedicated to helping you solve your issue! I am ever so grateful for their support team!

Very early in conversion process...

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Once our actual conversion is complete, hopefully by the end of the calendar year, I believe our reporting to our funders will be much easier. We are hoping to do away with all or at least most of our supplemental Excel workbook processing and letting Denali Fund do its magic

Pros

The ability to track grant funds - multiple levels in accounts, reporting etc - 30,000 foot view or in the weeds! Our organization has federal grants, private grants, corporate sponsorships, etc., all with different reporting requirements and budgets. We also have 7 locations and Denali Fund is able to track by the funding sources and locations. We are very early in our use of the software - still converting in the middle of our fiscal year. I'm sure we will only be using a small percentage of the software's capability in the beginning but as our organization grows, we will appreciate all of the funtionality.

Cons

The conversion process is a bit tedious. We are going from Quickbooks Online to Denali fund and converting data is timely and a bit inefficient unless we could afford the additional support level that would be required for getting Quickbooks records into Denali.

Don G.

20+ Years Of Use, Sorely Disappointed

Reviewed on 2015/10/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The only good thing I can say about it is the searches and reports using crystal reports versus report writer is lightning fast.

Cons

Our company purchased our first Cougar software in the early 90’s, and have updated to every new version along the way.
In July 2015 we bought the Denali version, and it has been terrible. Don’t touch it with a ten foot pole.
Hardly a day goes by that we don’t find new errors in the software. Spent a lot of dollars to get everything converted and our rep, while trying to be helpful, gets the run around from support. When I talk to support they tell me our support dollars have been used and they can’t report the problem to fix, even though it’s obviously a program error. We can’t generate purchase orders, because the system ignores items on back order. We can’t do a general ledger month to month comparison. I pointed out this problem in July and they said it may be fixed by year end. Many of our month end statements have to be changed because of wrong amounts, and the payroll has bugs. I feel that we are a Beta test sight and paying them to learn of all the errors.

1.0/10
Anna F.

Denali is a great product

Reviewed on 2015/11/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Security (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems.

Cons

Time zones. They are in MST and we're in EST. Even though they do have CSR available by 9 am our time to solve most of our problems, they are not usually fully staffed until later in the morning.