Showing 108 reviews of 107

DiscoverText

Collaborative text analytics for academics, companies & govt

Showing 108 reviews of 107
Katarina A.

Great for analyzing social media data- just not offline documents.

Reviewed on 2018/04/07

Pros

If you need to analyze data from social media and survey monkey- it's a great tool. You can search for content by keywords and the data drops in per the chosen frequency. It breaks down keywords and phrases to a list in order of use- where you can drill into each word or phrase to see where it's used and also toggle between different ways of displaying the results.

Cons

I got the trial version to see if it would suit my purpose; I required a tool to analyze and cluster data from articles and other sources but just couldn't get it to work. If the trial period had been longer than 3 days ( I thought I signed up for 30- it's not very clear) I might have had time to figure it out. Better instructions would have helped. The instructions tell you what the features are, not why you need to use them which is not helpful for novice users.

Response from Texifter

Katarina,

Sorry for the confusion about the length of the free trial. It was 30-days for many years and we changed it to 3 only recently. Please send a request to [email protected] and I will send you a 6-month license.

For details about the features, we suggest you review some of the support materials:

As to why use the tools, perhaps review the tutorials:

You might also find some answers as to why use the tools here, in the 200+ academic citations of the tools:

Finally, I am available for 1-1 web trainings:

So, I think you may not have fully tried to use all the customer support options. We work very hard to make sure newcomers get comfortable quickly.

Stu

Easy and intuitive research tool, great for qualitative research that involves social media...

Reviewed on 2018/06/12

Quick way to collect and analyse data, also very mobile phones and tablets friendly.

Pros

Well again, DiscoverText is really intuitive to use, I did read and look at some videos before using it but it wasn't necessary. I have used other qualitative analysis software and although they were a little different, I would say that DiscoverText is the easiest to get familiar with, just set up your themes, categories and start coding. Also something to consider in my opinion is the ease to navigate through the website, not overly complicated, nice blue/gray theme that won't feel heavy after hours spent on the PC.

Cons

Only one maybe, if there are a few coders coding at the same time the same project the software can become a little slower.

Response from Texifter

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for this delightful take on the interface. Reading reviews, it is often the case that users underestimate what it might take to overhaul the front end. We would like to, but a bigger company tried in 2013, spent $1M, then gave up, so for now we tinker at the edges to make the experience usable.

I think you are absolutely on target about our goal not to overcomplicate coding (labeling, tagging, or annotation to some). Out first open source tool was devoted to recording observations about text with minimal interaction with a mouse (hence the keystroke coding).

Since then, many layers of functionality have emerged, but at teh core, it is the interface for displaying text/Tweets, the auto-loading of items to be coded, and the project management/measurement features, that are the kernel of our success.

Spencer G.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Useful software, very helpful team

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

I used DiscoverText after hearing about them on the Association of Internet Researchers mailing list. Stu and his team helped me put together a Twitter dataset that I'd been trying to put together through other methods—never without any success. This is a huge step forward for some of the research that I'm trying to do; I'm already getting some interest in the data and my analysis of it, and I couldn't have done it without DiscoverText!

Pros

DiscoverText worked exactly as hoped, but the most impressive thing is how helpful and personal the DiscoverText team was with helping me with the particular request that I had.

Cons

Figuring out how to download the raw data took a little bit of time. I can't blame DiscoverText for wanting me to stick with their interface and their tools, but it was still a little annoying that it took a while to get to what I needed.

Response from Texifter

Professor Greenhalgh,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It really helps us out.

I feel it is important to clarify that the frustration you express is with a policy set by Twitter that we built into DiscoverText to stay compliant with the Twitter Terms of Service. You are not alone wanting more direct access to raw data, but the issue was and remains that Twitter does not allow us to provide that direct raw data download access without:

a) some transformation of the data, and
b) a daily export limit of 50,000 items.

We did not make the rule; we simply obeyed it.

For the record, our platform's live connection to the Twitter display, and our ability to suppress deleted Tweets, are two of the many reasons why you are better off keeping data in DiscoverText. For inter-operability with Gephi or NodeXL, we still have the graphml export option.

At the very least, using our tools to create clean, legal, focused, exports is an option.

Demirdis S.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Twitter and text analysis

Reviewed on 2019/04/21

Pros

Discovertext provides huge number of filtering options. I am doing a research about Twitter users and my data size is very large. Firstly, Discovertext help me to clean my data by using duplicate and near duplicate functions. Secondly, Coding is very easy by using Discovertext, It is really time saver. I should classify key influencers and most retweeted tweets etc., It has easily done by provided filters. Finally, Discovertext automatically create reports related to results.

Cons

Sometimes, I do not understand some filtering options and could not find a information about them but helps always provided by customer support quickly.

Response from Texifter

Demirdis,

Thanks for sharing the feedback and we are always happy to sort out anything that might be a challenge.

Good luck with your work!
Thank-you,

Egor S.

Our goal was to get a historical tweets and do an linguistic analysis.

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Pros

- teamwork friendly
- support different types of file extraction
- directly support of Gnip Feed Management
- parallel possibility to work on different project
- support of: Facebooks, LinkedLn

Cons

- just 15 exports could be saved parallel in the system at any given time (so sometimes you need more files to extract parallel)
- exports have just 1 week time of expiration (it is tooooo small)
- don't have command line API

Response from Texifter

Egor,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It contains some good ideas, some of which we might be able to act on, but others are beyond our control.

The regulation of Twitter exports, for example, is set by the Terms of Service of Twitter. We are specifically barred, as are all vendors, from setting up a command line API to facilitate the process. The save as CSV is a very strict guideline and engineering what you want would result in Texifter losing access to Twitter data. So, it is a "con" of working with Twitter data, not DiscoverText.

I'd like to hear more about why you need to store links to more than 15 exports simultaneously. Since you can only create 1/day of 50,000 Tweets, and the purpose is to export it, not store the CSV link in a list inside DiscoverText, why would you need a list of more than 15 links to files? Presumably you have already exported. I have the same question with the duration. Once the data is downloaded, why must the link endure?

Adiman A.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Online data mining tool

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

Great software for those who want to gain insights from social media platforms.

Pros

I use the software to do analysis of historical data from Twitter. The software provides various features to extract insights from Twitter metadata. Customised customer support.

Cons

As with other online analytic software, you have to pay additional fee to use advance features. The standard features is good enough for analytics (using this for masters dissertation).

Response from Texifter

Hi Adiman,

Good to hear that you are discovering insights from Twitter metadata. Fortunately there are ways to manage the cost, such as obtaining price estimates via Sifter or obtaining a representative sample (a certain percentage) of the data.

You might find the following helpful in this regard:

We really appreciate your thoughtful review. Best regards,

Shawn W.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Excellent tool for group coding, text cleaning, deduplication, and training ML models

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

I use DiscoverText as a way to introduce my students to qualitative coding at the unit level, data cleaning, and training an ML model. It's a great tool for students without programming experience to work with data.

In my own work, I use it to clean, deduplicate, and code social media datasets. The data cleaning and search functions are very powerful. The ML training features are also quite powerful.

Pros

The deduplication tools are amazing. Group coding is a snap. So is creating and testing training datasets.

Cons

The interface can take a little while to get the hang of -- some of the options are a little hidden, but the support is VERY responsive and the tutorials are helpful. This is not software that you can just click your way through without reading a little of the documentation -- but what would you expect with a powerful tool?

Response from Texifter

Dear Shawn,

I like to say those who know it best use it best. As user #4 out of thousands, we can safely pronounce you as "one who knows it best."

Warmest regards,

• Used Other for 2+ years

Great tool for analyzing media content

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

We have been using it for several years in different research projects (politics and media) and even when we performed tasks the tool is not originally designed to perform, DT performed really well (and DT was very supportive!)

Pros

Very adaptable to our research aims
Very user-friendly
Coder monitoring/adjudication feature made it possible to coordinate a team of researchers sitting in different countries
Excellent customer support

Cons

The visualization of the coding results is a bit dull in terms of design but one can always export results in another programme that creates more impressive visualizations

Matt R.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

DiscoverText Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

Pros

The software is easy to use and navigate. Access to Twitter and Facebook is useful, but I found the ability to capture RSS feeds to be especially unique to the research I do.

Cons

The main problem I run into, especially with Twitter data, is the number of units I can store. Upgrading to the top tier account is cost prohibitive, so I am left to work within the parameters of the software. That means when capturing Twitter data I can easily reach the cap in an hour or two. I'm always on the lookout for a software that can allow me to capture more data affordably.

Response from Texifter

Matt,

You can keep your subscription at the Professional level (with the 50% discount for being faculty) and just upgrade the amount of storage.

All professional accounts come with storage up to 10,000 units. You can purchase more storage units for $20 a month per 100,000 up to 1,000,000 units. If you need more than 1,000,000 units, contact us.

Items imported via the Twitter Premium PowerTrack do not count against your general storage limit.

We do need to meter usage of cloud computing resources. If you store and process more data, it costs us more money.

Antonio A.

Useful for data handling

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

We were interested in having access to historical data from twitter, but DiscoverText allowed us to perform some cool analyses on the spot. Thanks!

Pros

The ability to create datasets / buckets is fairly useful, particularly when you work with thousands of records at the same time.
Datasets are conveniently partitioned into 50,000 records, which is also very useful when downloading.

Cons

It takes a few minutes to familiarize with the interface, but it's fairly intuitive afterwards.

Response from Texifter

Hi Antonio,

Yes, as you¿ve discovered, DiscoverText (https://discovertext.com/) users are mostly not Sifter users, rather, they collect real-time data, or they upload their own data. However, some DiscoverText users get their historical Twitter data access through Sifter (https://sifter.texifter.com/).

Unlike some of the market research dashboards, we offer a set of text analytics tools for creating unique samples, collaborative annotation schemes, and unique data science measurements related to human and machine learning.

To learn more about the distinction between buckets and datasets, read:

We have worked hard to document the features of the system, with both a knowledge base and video tutorials:

• Industry: Human Resources

Best Single Theme Qualitative Research Analysis

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

We used DiscoverText to analyze a dissertation on qualitative research results. As a business, we use it to analyze social media sentiments for clients

Pros

The swift and simple single theme coding capability for social media limited digit data. The annotation feature allows for a workaround the single theme

Cons

The workaround for multi-theme text coding

Response from Texifter

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for the positive comments. Multi-theme text coding was a core feature in 2007 when we first built the free, open source Coding Analysis Toolkit. It is core in DiscoverText as well. If you contact [email protected] we would like to know why it seems like a work around for you. Most of all, we appreciate that you took the time to share a review.

Many thanks,

Marcelo S.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Excellent cost-benefit, prompt support and live interface

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Did some research and was able to perform a series of tests and applications for my PHD research and for other projects

Pros

The ability to review, code, manage data with the rich online environment of Twitter allows for good mixed methods research: at the same time balancing quantitative aspects and looking in-depth for the unique or groups of messages with certain characteristics is very enriching for a researcher on Social Media -in my case, Twitter. Also, its connection with Twitter's Firehose allows for the direct import from Twitter to DiscoverText platform.

Cons

I couldn't figure out many of the functionalities without the support of the team, and/or a few hours of video classes. A better UX would probably diminish those learning curves

Response from Texifter

Hi,

I'm glad you are deriving value from our tools to analyze data from the Twitter Firehose. Thanks for your feedback on the interface. It would be a large undertaking to overhaul the front end. We would like to, but a bigger company tried in 2013, spent $1M, and then gave up, so for now we tinker at the edges to make the experience usable.

Best regards,

Fabio G.

An extremely reliable and affordable tool to gather and analyze data from social media

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

Extremely and affordable partnership with GNIP for Twitter data. Useful quick quantitative analysis. Great support for collaborative content analysis.

Sejin L.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

the best app constantly evolving

Reviewed on 2018/12/03

I was sad after knowing that Twitter actually wants money from the company in retrieving data that should not be charged I think..

Pros

I am quite satisfied the fact that I eventually found the right app in analysing textual data in twitter!!
This should be widely marketized among researchers who are interested in discourse analysis

Cons

It would be nicer if you are popular among academics and if we have a course to learn how to use the programme

Response from Texifter

Hello Sejin,

We appreciate the very generous review and especially the awesome title :-)

We agree that academics have found many applications for tools, especially Twitter and survey data:

Good luck with your work!

Thank-you,

Regina T.

It is the best software so far for analyzing social media data.

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Teaching research methods in social media and doing research with my graduate students.

Pros

This software allows researcher to group data allowing for more fine tuned analysis. really like deduplication of data.

Cons

The deduplication function is only available with the more expensive subscription and yet it is such an integral part of data cleaning.

Response from Texifter

Thanks very much for the review Regina. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Ann P.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Discovertext is an awesome product with exceptional support.

Reviewed on 2017/12/15

A very powerful research tool for social media research!

Pros

the ability to import data from social media and use machine learning to code this data really sets Discovertext apart from competing products.

Cons

There is a short learning curve to fully understand the power of this software but once you get the hang of it you can really see the power.

Eunji K.

Lots of functions but difficult to use

Reviewed on 2018/01/30

Pros

The function to visualize and filter my Twitter data. The manual for the software is convenient to use.

Cons

Even though the data has a limited time for use, the expiration date of the data is not explicit in the software. The UI of the software is not user-friendly. It is difficult to export data.

Response from Texifter

Dear Eunji,

I'm sorry to hear you had some issues with the interface. We would be happy to do a free web training, extend your license on a gratis basis, and work with you to ensure you get full value out of the data and our tools. I am confident that a 30-45 minute web meeting would allow you to experience the full power of DiscoverText.

Please email [email protected] if you are interested in this offer of extended support.

Janelle J.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Easy to use for all individuals, good interface

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Pros

User-friendly interface without much time needed to learn how to use this program. I have been using it for a while now and I love it.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any cons to this software. It's been a breeze for all individuals.

Response from Texifter

Janelle,

Glad to hear it and thanks for the review. We appreciate your support and you can always ask if anything comes up.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Does the work of a team of people in less time

Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

Saves time and energy collecting and analyses survey data automatically, saves manpower poring over documents for details.

Cons

You need to set aside some time to learn how to use it before you start your first project. Definite learning curve

Response from Texifter

Hello Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. We invite every new user to take a 30-minute web meeting with the founder. This usually gets people going on a good path. We would be happy to schedule one if needed. Just email [email protected] or visit https://calendly.com/discovertext to schedule a session.

David S.

Great tools, great service! Use this for study assignments all the time.

Reviewed on 2018/01/29

Pros

DiscoverText is super useful when it comes to analyzing and categorizing large datasets. It has all the components one might need for the training of algorithms, made easy for use by a very clear interface.

Cons

Without basic knowledge of data analysis and the handling and organizing of large datasets, the programme might not feel intuitive at first. However, it just takes time to get used to all features.

Response from Texifter

David,

Much appreciated for the nice review. We use the analogy of learning a spreadsheet. At first, there are a few basic things you can do without having to take a class, watch a tutorial, or worst of all, read the manual. If you want to build the most advanced spreadsheets, it probably will not happen on Day 1.

The same with DiscoverText. Once you dig in, there is a lot there. If all else fails, send us an email ([email protected]) and request a web demo.

Best regards and let us know if we can help,

Jessica J.

Sift Social Text Quickly After Learning Curve

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Tweet content aggregation, organization, and analysis for marketing.

Pros

This application makes light work of text content aggregation, cleaning, and organization, which is especially valuable to social media analysts in their social listening efforts.

Cons

There is a substantial learning curve to using this program. Aligning the feeds is not user-friendly for first timers, and I think this could be streamlined a bit more.

Verity T.

Useful research tool

Reviewed on 2018/09/08

Pros

I particularly like how well discover text handles large data sets and how the data can be smoothly integrated into other services. It provides a unique way of analysing social media and offers access to data that enables research in a range of fields. Really, really valuable!

Cons

Sometimes I get lost in the platform because there are so many modes to work with.

Songhui Y.

I used DiscoverText in a research project to deal with twitter data corpus.

Reviewed on 2017/12/26

Pros

1) Project or data corpus sharing can be very easy. Peers collaboration can be convenient.
2) Options for applying various algorithms.
3) Advanced searching options help me a lot.
4) Detailed meta data representation.

Cons

The software can become a little bit slow during daytime. It can be caused by more usage from users during work time.

Jared m. W.
  • Industry: Higher Education

One of the best interfaces I've worked with, but not without some glitches

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

It made coding tweets much easier than any other platform I've ever seen.

Pros

I used it for coding large datasets of tweets. It was great in the way it visually displayed the full tweets along with all of the metadata. It made coding very simple and fast.

Cons

There were a couple of times when I could not access the datasets. The tweets were supposed to be coded by everyone in our group, but it seemed it would not allow me to code tweets that had already been coded by someone else. Also, it is not always clear which tweets were retweets from others versus original content. I had to look very closely in the metadata to try to identify some retweets.

Sam N.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Ease of use and value for money

Reviewed on 2018/09/10

I'm using it for my academic research into misinformation on Twitter.

Pros

I liked how it was quite easy for a beginner like me to get to grips with this software. I've used it as part of my academic research and find it invaluable.

Cons

Nothing in particular, it was as expected.