Top Hat Reviews

Top Hat

Top Hat is the active learning platform built for eductators

3.9/5 (14 reviews)
Sb S.

Easy to use and helpful features

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

Overall I am pretty happy with Top Hat. It would definitely fall in the upper end of programs I have used. The students also seem to enjoy it as well.

Pros

I was able to log into Top Hat and immediately start using it without any training. It’s a pretty intuitive site. Seeing the grades and attendance is straightforward and has been easier to edit than other programs that I have used.

Cons

When students are submitting their quizzes or comments there is major lag time and I am not sure if that is because of the software or internet connectivity. I am never entirely sure if I know how many people have turned in their questions. Until about 3 minutes after the questions is over. Also, I wish there was a way to edit slides when they are posted into Top Hat because when I upload sometimes the slides become distorted and I need to make the text smaller or rearrange it so that it fits on the screen and can be read. Also, sometimes the link to videos do not work.

Shaylynn W.

Top Hat Student Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

It has helped me so much with this class. It has given me a new way to go about grasping the material and I would highly suggest it to other people.

Pros

I used it in my economics class, and we had embedded questions within our chapters. It really makes you slow down to understand and grasp the concepts.

Cons

We had problems with being able to go back and view which questions were answered correctly or incorrectly. I also wish there were more functions like notes and bookmarks along with the highlighting.

Easy way to participate in class

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

I wish it were easier to view past questions or that there were some way to access the information presented with tophat at a later date, but overall is has been a very useful tool.

Pros

I like the fact that this software allows you to answer anonymously in class, so I am not worried about getting an answer wrong and I am more likely to participate. The app itself is also very user friendly.

Cons

I have noticed a few glitches with using this software, but nothing to keep me from not using it.

Used as an Assistant to the Professor

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Pros

I like that it is an easy and accessible way to share books, assignments and other content with the class. It's much easier then trying to share everything via email or printout.

Cons

My only issue that I've had is that when the professor is doing a presentation I am unable to go in and do anything else on the class page even though she is presenting from a separate computer.

Response from Top Hat

Thanks for the Top Hat review, I will pass this on to the team.

7.0/10
Landon F.

Top Hat Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

Overall, I liked using this program to take the quiz's I needed to take for Veterinary School.

Pros

I liked that it made it so I can pass my class with added quiz points. I also liked the format and layout of the program. It laid it out for each class so it was easy to find the questions and answers.

Cons

Honestly, there wasn't anything I disliked about this software.

Top Hat for students

Reviewed on 2019/04/21

Overall I really like the ease of top hat.

Pros

I liked that it was easy to use and was accessible to all without the need for a laptop or computer.

Cons

The thing I liked least about this is that the slide would change according to the teacher changing their own slide, it made it difficult to catch up if there was ever a need to do so.

A great medium

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/04/27

Pros

Top Hat is easy to use for both professors and students. During lectures, one can connect with other students; and professors can evaluate students’ knowledge on the topics discussed. This is great as it happens in real time and is easy to use. Top Hat app is accessible through multiple devices, which enables everyone to utilize it using a variety of mediums. I personally use it on my iPad.

Cons

Not much to dislike about Top Hat, however, the hardware options could be cheaper.

7.0/10
Nadia M.

Very Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

Pros

Before starting my new job almost a month ago, I had never even heard of Top Hat, much less knew what it was. On my first week, I was given the assignment of transferring grades from Top Hat to Blackboard. After a quick hands on tutorial, I pretty much had it down with zero issues. It was so easy for me to navigate to each class, download the grades, and go from there. I've been using Top Hat for almost a month now, with zero issues.

Cons

As of to date, I haven't experienced any issues with this software.

Dylan S.

Absolute mess of a service

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Awful service, awful and sassy customer service, overall just disappointed. Sad I had to pay for this through my wallet and my GPA.

Pros

Nothing. I guess you could say it costs less than others.

Cons

It's broken all the time. It's not intuitive. It leaves students no clear way to access the service, let alone study materials or even tests and assignments. There's nothing this service can do that free services like Socrative can't do.

0.0/10

Participate in college class course

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

I am just a student who used this in two of my classes. I fairly enjoyed the tool. It reacted to the in class quizzes very quickly. Upon initial setup there were some technical difficulties, but technical support was very promptful in solving the issue.

Cons

This is more of a tool for tracking attendance. I don't see the purpose of using this tool over an iClicker, unless it tracks the location of the user and IP address. I was just a student though. From my perspective, it was very annoying to have another expense added to my schooling.

Angie E.

badly flawed and expensive

Reviewed on 2018/10/19

Top Hat breaks or disconnects all the time. We all hate this thing. It's really expensive.

Pros

Ability to use phones
can use my laptop in class

Cons

Interface is buggy
my grades don't show up in blackboard and canvas. I have to complain to the professor every week to get my grades corrected. my friend dropped the class because of this program.
students who don't show up to lecture are still answering quiz questions -- so what's the point?
really expensive. why am I paying for software when the university already has a program that does this stuff?

0.0/10
Patrick Z.

Great for School

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

I like it but there is better software to use for its purpose.

Pros

It is very easy to use and reliable. I used this for class and it was easy to set up a question and for students to answer it.

Cons

You can answer it from any location where there is wifi. If you are trying to post a question in a given location, that is not possible when your registered for the class.

Sarah H.

Review Title

Reviewed on 2018/10/15

Pretty impressed so far but would like to see some small changes in the future

Pros

It’s easy to use. Support is there when you need it.

Cons

The cost. They should lower the cost for this software

John S.

Needs a lot of work.

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Pros

Good for polling large classes. Phone app is decent.

Cons

Questions do not automatically pop up on your display, you have to go down to the bottom and manually open each one. Also if you click a question answer and time runs out before you go to the bottom and click submit, you do not receive credit for the answer. The website is unimpressive.

4.0/10