Top Hat Reviews

Top Hat

Top Hat is the end-to-end higher education teaching platform

3.6/5 (22 reviews)
Sb S.

Easy to use and helpful features

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

Overall I am pretty happy with Top Hat. It would definitely fall in the upper end of programs I have used. The students also seem to enjoy it as well.

Pros

I was able to log into Top Hat and immediately start using it without any training. It’s a pretty intuitive site. Seeing the grades and attendance is straightforward and has been easier to edit than other programs that I have used.

Cons

When students are submitting their quizzes or comments there is major lag time and I am not sure if that is because of the software or internet connectivity. I am never entirely sure if I know how many people have turned in their questions. Until about 3 minutes after the questions is over. Also, I wish there was a way to edit slides when they are posted into Top Hat because when I upload sometimes the slides become distorted and I need to make the text smaller or rearrange it so that it fits on the screen and can be read. Also, sometimes the link to videos do not work.

It works, but isn't the most cost effective solution

Reviewed on 2019/08/18

Pros

Students answer questions in real time and the percentages of what answers were chosen can then be displayed.

Cons

As a student who had to use the software, the cost can be annoying. You have to pay based on how long you think you'll need the software, which you won't always know if you're not sure whether future classes will use the software. For example, you might decide to pay for 1 years use because it's "cheaper" over time, but you only ended up having a class use it for 3 months. So you wasted money paying for the rest of the subscription and the company gets more money from struggling college students. And of course, the opposite could happen where you pay for 1 quarter, then another classes uses it and you'd have to pay for it again.

Before Top Hat came along, iClicker was the more commonly used tech and does the same job. With iClicker, you only had to pay one time for the remote and then you could sell the remote to another student, which was much more cost effective for students.

5.0/10

Oh the frustration

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Pros

Maybe it's because it was a 12pm physics lecture and no one wanted to be there, including the technology, but Top Hat was a hit-or-miss most of the semester. I cannot speak for the professor in this case, but this was my experience as a student. We used Top Hat for attendance, poll questions, and short quizzes between slides. Attendance tracking utilizes location to some extent, but if you have the code and time, you can check into class without being there. Our professor caught people checking in remotely; but we also found out that there were dead spots where people in the very room could not check in. That led to tons of handwritten attendance sheets. Also quizzes within the slides often glitched out and had to be restarted or they randomly deleted the annotations. The lecture hall was 200~220 people.

Cons

Glitchy with large amount of people; Attendance not always accurate

6.0/10
Shaylynn W.

Top Hat Student Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

It has helped me so much with this class. It has given me a new way to go about grasping the material and I would highly suggest it to other people.

Pros

I used it in my economics class, and we had embedded questions within our chapters. It really makes you slow down to understand and grasp the concepts.

Cons

We had problems with being able to go back and view which questions were answered correctly or incorrectly. I also wish there were more functions like notes and bookmarks along with the highlighting.

Cassandra T.

Very good for large classes to increase participation

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

It allows you to take attendance with a unique code so only the people present get credit. It very efficiently collects answers to questions and gives the lecturer immediate feedback on whether the class understands the material.

Cons

It was complicated to use which has given a few people some trouble

Jonathan R.

Use a different platform if you can

Reviewed on 2019/08/25

Pros

Similar in functions and features as other learning platforms once you can figure it out. I personally don’t have any other pros for this product.

Cons

I wouldn’t recommend Top Hat I feel like there are other learning platforms that are easier to use for both the instructor and student. I had top hat as a learning platform in a few of my university courses and I never got the hang of using it.

3.0/10

Easy to Use Learning Tool

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Top Hat is a wonderful asset to have, and I'm glad my professors have been utilizing it. It has increased the regularity and clarity of communication between myself and my professors.

Pros

When it comes to student/professor education software, I have found, as a student, that my favorite software programs are ones that professors are able to access and utilize with ease. The reason for this is that when professors utilize the functions available on education software, my life gets easier. Instead of dealing with streams of AOL emails, I get succinct and clean information and communication through a user-friendly platform. My professors who use Top Hat are VERY comfortable with it and seem to maximize its potential.
Top Hat is easy for me to use, and it's evidently really easy for my professors to use. It's clean, sleek, and really user-friendly.
Also, I like how Top Hat is device-friendly; their mobile app is great.

Cons

I've been using it for a few months and have not yet run into anything that I have a problem with.
Everything's been great so far.

Easy way to participate in class

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

I wish it were easier to view past questions or that there were some way to access the information presented with tophat at a later date, but overall is has been a very useful tool.

Pros

I like the fact that this software allows you to answer anonymously in class, so I am not worried about getting an answer wrong and I am more likely to participate. The app itself is also very user friendly.

Cons

I have noticed a few glitches with using this software, but nothing to keep me from not using it.

Used as an Assistant to the Professor

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Pros

I like that it is an easy and accessible way to share books, assignments and other content with the class. It's much easier then trying to share everything via email or printout.

Cons

My only issue that I've had is that when the professor is doing a presentation I am unable to go in and do anything else on the class page even though she is presenting from a separate computer.

Response from Top Hat

Thanks for the Top Hat review, I will pass this on to the team.

Landon F.

Top Hat Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

Overall, I liked using this program to take the quiz's I needed to take for Veterinary School.

Pros

I liked that it made it so I can pass my class with added quiz points. I also liked the format and layout of the program. It laid it out for each class so it was easy to find the questions and answers.

Cons

Honestly, there wasn't anything I disliked about this software.

Top Hat for students

Reviewed on 2019/04/21

Overall I really like the ease of top hat.

Pros

I liked that it was easy to use and was accessible to all without the need for a laptop or computer.

Cons

The thing I liked least about this is that the slide would change according to the teacher changing their own slide, it made it difficult to catch up if there was ever a need to do so.

A great medium

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/04/27

Pros

Top Hat is easy to use for both professors and students. During lectures, one can connect with other students; and professors can evaluate students’ knowledge on the topics discussed. This is great as it happens in real time and is easy to use. Top Hat app is accessible through multiple devices, which enables everyone to utilize it using a variety of mediums. I personally use it on my iPad.

Cons

Not much to dislike about Top Hat, however, the hardware options could be cheaper.

Tess S.

Not good

Reviewed on 2019/09/08

The software itself is a very good idea. Cannot get over the fact that it does not explain things in-depth very well, and the amount of blatant errors is astounding.

Pros

Easy to use in class, and the overall accessibility is good.

Cons

SO MANY TYPOS AND GRAMMATICAL ERRORS. "Loose" instead of "lose"? "Wenn" instead of "when"? "Less" instead of "fewer"?? Incomplete sentences, and many many many more issues ranging from awkward phrasing, to homophone misuse, to use of "words" that are not even a part of the English language (such as my earlier example, "wenn" was literally in this published educational textbook. I expect literally the bare minimum (correct English grammar and spelling) from an expensive, high level, educational publication, and I couldn't even get that.

2.0/10
Jim C.

When free options are available on the market, it is a shame that this company swindles instructors

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/17

The customer service, in my limited experience, has been great. However, I really hate that I had to pay for something like this when it was in no ways innovative and when so many free competitors exist.

Pros

Simplistic design that is easy to navigate

Cons

The cost is insane for something that is essentially an iClicker. The location-dependent attendance code input has consistently been terrible. This company swindles instructors into forcing their students to buy the product, by making it a required component of the course marks.

3.0/10
Nadia M.

Very Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

Pros

Before starting my new job almost a month ago, I had never even heard of Top Hat, much less knew what it was. On my first week, I was given the assignment of transferring grades from Top Hat to Blackboard. After a quick hands on tutorial, I pretty much had it down with zero issues. It was so easy for me to navigate to each class, download the grades, and go from there. I've been using Top Hat for almost a month now, with zero issues.

Cons

As of to date, I haven't experienced any issues with this software.

Dylan S.

Absolute mess of a service

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Awful service, awful and sassy customer service, overall just disappointed. Sad I had to pay for this through my wallet and my GPA.

Pros

Nothing. I guess you could say it costs less than others.

Cons

It's broken all the time. It's not intuitive. It leaves students no clear way to access the service, let alone study materials or even tests and assignments. There's nothing this service can do that free services like Socrative can't do.

0.0/10

Participate in college class course

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

I am just a student who used this in two of my classes. I fairly enjoyed the tool. It reacted to the in class quizzes very quickly. Upon initial setup there were some technical difficulties, but technical support was very promptful in solving the issue.

Cons

This is more of a tool for tracking attendance. I don't see the purpose of using this tool over an iClicker, unless it tracks the location of the user and IP address. I was just a student though. From my perspective, it was very annoying to have another expense added to my schooling.

Angie E.

badly flawed and expensive

Reviewed on 2018/10/19

Top Hat breaks or disconnects all the time. We all hate this thing. It's really expensive.

Pros

Ability to use phones
can use my laptop in class

Cons

Interface is buggy
my grades don't show up in blackboard and canvas. I have to complain to the professor every week to get my grades corrected. my friend dropped the class because of this program.
students who don't show up to lecture are still answering quiz questions -- so what's the point?
really expensive. why am I paying for software when the university already has a program that does this stuff?

0.0/10
Lily T.

Great attendance software

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

Pros

I like the efficiency of Top Hat because it saves class time because classes held in big lecture halls. This software allows students to sign into class via their phone or their computers with a code, thus eliminating the need for professors to waste class time by calling out names one by one

Cons

I don’t like how it can be a little difficult to navigate as a new user

Patrick Z.

Great for School

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

I like it but there is better software to use for its purpose.

Pros

It is very easy to use and reliable. I used this for class and it was easy to set up a question and for students to answer it.

Cons

You can answer it from any location where there is wifi. If you are trying to post a question in a given location, that is not possible when your registered for the class.

Sarah H.

Review Title

Reviewed on 2018/10/15

Pretty impressed so far but would like to see some small changes in the future

Pros

It’s easy to use. Support is there when you need it.

Cons

The cost. They should lower the cost for this software

John S.

Needs a lot of work.

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Pros

Good for polling large classes. Phone app is decent.

Cons

Questions do not automatically pop up on your display, you have to go down to the bottom and manually open each one. Also if you click a question answer and time runs out before you go to the bottom and click submit, you do not receive credit for the answer. The website is unimpressive.

4.0/10