Buildxact

4,6 (97)
Online construction management for builders & remodelers.

Stephen W.

builder use

Reviewed on 2019/03/30

We absolutely love Build xact, it's not perfect for my individual desires but it sure does capture my needs in a massive way, we can't imagine operating without it now.

there is nothing like being certain on your pricing when negotiating with clients and subbies, it puts you in such a more powerful position and takes away a lot of the stress

Pros

I love the take off tools and the ease of generating a quotation, it allows me to get ontop of pricing and take offs and the ability to calculate variations based off of subcontractors m2 rates without waiting for my subbies to get back to me is invaluable.

also when entering the line items I love that it can allow me to add in a picture into the specifications so that my client knows exactly what products are included in my quote and it also gives me to option to nominate items as provisional costs or provisional sums at the click of a button further more, I can select if the item is a task in the schedule so I have the ease of generating a gannt chart as i go with little to no down time so when I submit my quote I know exactly how long I need to build.

Cons

overall they have captured everything well and the only items I dont like are some of the little bugs that come with developing such a great software such as:

1. I would like a little more functionality in the plan scaling section.
2. The RFQ's tie themselves to line items and can't be adjusted without deleting the RFQ's or overriding them manually
3. All RFQ's have to be tied to a Job, you can't send off rfq's once the project becomes a Job for further item shopping for savings nor can you issue the rfq to subbies without having to mess around with your Quotes and categories.
4. the project cost analysis only seems to work off of purchase orders and work orders, you can't just tally up numbers under line items such as fixings which may require 10=15 receipts so you need to create a purchase order to tally it up. also, you can only issue invoices in the cost plus projects for expenses worn and not preempt expenses which makes it impossible to issue invoices in a pro active manner to get the client paying the bill.
6. The gannt chart lacks the flexibility and function that I am used to from such programs as smart sheet (another great software that we use)
5. It would be great to have it as an app and in the future look at expanding the software to a fully integrated project management software similar to plan grid

Harold O.

My Buildxact review

Reviewed on 2022/01/04

Estimate writing is much easier, and more reliable than previously done. I just tried another software package for 6 weeks. Had thought of making the change on based on monthly Pricing. What I have here may be a bit more per month, but the overall savings on time, reliability, presentation organization, is worth much more.

Pros

The ease of Authoring the Quote. Being able to create and add Categories and line items keeps the quotes organized and easy to review. I like my quotes to be presented chronologically as the work will be progressed. The ability to Move categories, and or individual items is great. And simple as this sounds, being able to insert a line where ever I want, is priceless.

Cons

I have only used this software for the writing of quotes. After 1.5 years of use, the only shortfall I have is to be able to total out individual items throughout the quote such as labor, materials, equipment.

Reasons for Choosing Buildxact

The formatting and functionality of writing quotes.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

The ability to organize the quote so that it presents better to the customer.
Luke P.

Abroenet Constructions - BX review

Reviewed on 2022/06/24

It has been a great addition to my business with its integration to xero and deputy.

Pros

I love the estimating, the take off tool within the estimating section. Its easy to convert a quote to a project.
It links to my suppliers pricing which means i should always have the most up to date pricing avaialble

Cons

Dont like that you pay per user, not just per account. Or have a residential package to suit up to 5 users say.
The timeline scheduling, unless I'm not using correctly is difficult to edit and frustrating so i dont use it like i probably should.
Love that it links to xero and Deputy

Buildertrend

Reasons for Choosing Buildxact

It didnt recognise our GST structure and it was really difficult to adjust. It also did have actual v budget option and the timezone meant any assistance for help calls or training sessions were at 6am or 10pm.

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

Its linked to Dahlsen's, my main materials and hardware supplier
Andre R.

Buildxact experience from an Architectural inner city builder.

Reviewed on 2022/06/20

Pros

Take offs and simple estimating is fine. Just use the simple template the rest are painful. Use it only for fixed price/lump some. If you have forman then there is no decesent app for them. So small simple builder only.

Cons

The cost plus accounting system is not practical or logical and considering most luxury or highly complicated residential builds are built with this type of contract in NSW, its useless. They are melbourne based and victoria doesn't have much cost plus contracting. Purchase orders have to be made in a 10 minute work around. That is a pain for xero integration so i ended up just putting lines into to account. We ended up using a spreadsheet to account for the project actuals. We had to manually enter the line items as they encrypt from their so called exported xls or csv files. so you can't copy the text you entered in the first place. So annoying and silly as it is your data in the first place.
The worst thing is the coding and server speed, since they have branched out into the states it is now half the speed it use to be in the evenings. A huge template we created over months that calculated materials quantities from our suppliers and our own formulas was corrupted and we were told we would have to rebuild it.

The response time for customers on critical matters is shocking too. You have to deal with an annoying bot that comes up everytime. We spent many months rebuilding a spreadsheet from the formulas as well has juggling the running projects and the normal pressures of covid and material prices. Not one phone call for a 3 + years customer, who created 3-5 customers for them over the years. A total nightmare I’ll never forgive, only learn from.

Jamie K.

JAK Build

Reviewed on 2022/04/23

Great after sales services , and follow you up. Always looking to improve and up grade, asking for our thoughts and also testing some new ideas.

Pros

The integration with email, suppliers and other products is great. The client Portal is another good add on, you can also make suggestion for up grades

Cons

Some better training for the the more experienced users, look a t the schedule side of the program. Some subbies and rated the request quote side of things.

Tristan I.

Great software for any size building firm

Reviewed on 2022/05/29

job cost tracking, Material ordering and job scheduling

Pros

Ease of use and a great way to keep track of jobs/Quotes from start to finish

Cons

I feel a dedicated app that could be used onsite would be great although the web browser is ok on mobile

Jeff G.

Will be back

Reviewed on 2022/06/04

Purchase and training was easy.
Cancelling

Pros

That it allows you to carry out everything management and administrative for construction.

Cons

Alot of setup required to tailor to your suppliers, trades etc.
As with all software it’s not perfect and still a little clunky but still easier than a manual system

Ryan W.

Buildexact

Reviewed on 2022/06/16

My experience with Buildexact so far has been extremely helpful integration with suppliers is fantastic making quoting a lot more streamlined

Pros

I find the takeoff with Buildexact to be extremely helpful in cutting down my overall estimating time

Cons

The only con would be the time in setting up the software with all materials and fixtures, fittings and so forth.

Sharon L.

A Must For Quoting

Reviewed on 2022/05/16

They are always there for help if required and they are always looking for better ways to improve.
Great software to have for quoting, time saving.

Pros

Takes a while to set up the way you want it but once this is done quoting is quick and easy

Cons

The cost - unless you are on the top package which is expensive you can't get the feeds

Daniel M.

Estimating made easy

Reviewed on 2022/05/03

Assist with providing professional tenders

Pros

I like the seamless integration between Xero and buildxact

Cons

Pricing is substantial but well worth it if saving time and winning jobs

George S.

Continually Evolving

Reviewed on 2021/11/10

It has been a great product to help our company grow and is continually evolving and improving, the customer support is excellent.
It was a little learning curve at the being but is definitely a case of short term pain for long term gain

Pros

It has systemised our quoting process, which speeds up our quote time, which leaves more time for project management and sales.
We can produce extremely professional quotes now which include all the products we have allowed for so the clients and my team know exactly what they are getting

Cons

Integration with building suppliers in NZ isn't available yet but I believe this will come in due time.
The client portal is quite cumbersome and I don't like the fact that we don't have control over this once it's set up.
Manual inputting of supplier invoices can take some time
The scheduling tool can be a bit of a pain to use and doesn't look very nice, an upgrade to this would be great

Procore

Reasons for Choosing Buildxact

very limited functionality and not user freindly

WorkflowMax

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

Based in Australia it was more suited to us in NZ also, other products were too USA focused The estimating software was a step above their competitors

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the feedback George.

Craig J.

Buildxact Review

Reviewed on 2021/10/29

Two thumbs up! It has significantly increased my productivity through decreasing the estimation and job management process. I spend less time in the office and more time on the tools and having a clod beer after a hard day!

Pros

Buildxact is a simple but powerful estimating and job management tool. It has basic CRM functionality that enables the management of leads within the program.
The ease take off tool is simple and when combined with the recipes makes the complex quite easy. Building recipes is easy to do and the supplied videos quide you through the process.
The other huge time saver is the integration of the software with supplier catalogues. I don't spend anywhere near as much time manually entering items and prices and they are now always up to date.

Cons

There is nothing really diffcult withe the program. If they could improve one thing it is the ability to truly customise the quote cover in a simple manner. The advanced editing feature is a little too complex and even with the help of one of the trainers we couldn't get it to jump through the hoops we wanted. The cover still looks a million bucks - I would just like to tweak it a little more than the system allows.

Buildertrend

Reasons for Choosing Buildxact

The estimating capability in CoConstruct is a tarted up spreadsheet and it costs twice as much. Now that Buildxact has a client portal to manage communications and jobs there was no reason not to switch.

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

Cost, ease of use and the fact that it follows the building process. Well done guys its a cracking piece of software!

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the review Craig.

Bruce G.

Buildxact - Estimating Game Changer

Reviewed on 2022/01/31

Estimates are so much quicker. I have been an estimator for over 20years and this system makes my job so much easier and faster.

Pros

The digital take-off is by far the best part of this software in my opinion. When linked to Recipes I can complete a full estimate far quicker then I ever have using other systems. Very easy to use and set up.

Cons

It woud be great if you could have a report while still in estimating stage of all Cost Centres with Recipes allocated, not being able to add more than one item at a time is a pain.

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for such great feedback Bruce!

Geoff C.

Product Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

I can now keep up with all quotes & take offs, time is saved massively! Not too mention I can attach all my contracts and save all my templates from all my suppliers, I love it!!

Pros

Keeping up with all our take offs, sending invoices/quotes etc

Cons

No iPhone app, so we can access all costings and other areas that you can from a PC, I have bookmarked the site so I have easy access to some areas of Builxact from my iPhone, that’s the only improvement I can see what will make this software

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

We use t sheets to keep track off all our employees but t sheets does not talk as well with Buildxact as we hoped for, the only app that does we trailed and didn’t match our criteria off keeping track of our profit and loss on each job,
Peter B.

Buildxact Review

Reviewed on 2021/08/26

Better platform than previous systems used, however is lacking in some areas

Pros

Cloud based system, modern system with a lot of potential to improve functionality. Really easy to measure and take off from plans

Cons

Communication regarding feedback on features to improve the system is lacking. It appears the easy features may be addressed while the harder ones are ignored. Cutting lists are not a current feature. Cannot put in future prices rises effective on a certain date

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for sharing your Buildxact feedback.

Leigh N.

Highly recommend

Reviewed on 2021/11/04

We can easily keep on-top of all variations, invoicing, and schedules - also keeping a track of job costs via purchase orders has been really beneficial.

Pros

Being able to upload all types of plans and the ease of measuring up complex projects.

Cons

The Variation forms would be much better if you could list/add 'Actual Cost' items after the variation has been made up. (if something was accidentally missed)

Being unable to export screen shots to show trades certain areas of what we have allowed etc.

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for using Buildxact Leigh!

Luke V.

BuildXact Estimating

Reviewed on 2021/09/07

Excellent isnt a better package out there to suit my needs

Pros

Estimating ease of use, graphical takeoff, template creation

Cons

actual calculation functions to assist with cutting lists

Procore, Buildertrend and Databuild

Reasons for Choosing Buildxact

Needed a simpler easier to use product

Databuild

ease of use

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the great feedback.

Scott D.

Making Life easier

Reviewed on 2021/09/07

Could not be happier with BuildXact and get really good feed back from clients and our accountant team

Pros

From tracking quotes, to take offs and organizing your quote in a professional way, to sending purchase orders and tracking your project to the cent, BuildXact is by far the best value for money estimating/project management software on the market.

Cons

The scheduling is a bit clunky in comparison to MS Project

Procore

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

one stop shop, Procore uses an external estimating software

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for your great feedback.

Joshua D.

Construction management made easy

Reviewed on 2021/08/26

Pros

I love that i never have to worry "did i send that order or book that tradie?" It is so easy to issue price requests, purchase orders, work orders and program my jobs/subbies and if i ever need to check that a task has been done i have the reassurance that the systems are in place to control all that communication.

Cons

The invoicing when completing cost plus projects could have more options and be more customisable.

iTWO costX and Buildertrend

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the great feedback and for using Buildxact.

Richard D.

Build Exact user

Reviewed on 2021/08/26

Tracking of variations has been extremely useful especially as linked to the invoicing

Pros

All the features are useful and relevent

Cons

Clearer tracking of progress invoices from contractors and suppliers for part claims

Response from Buildxact

Hi, thank you for the great feedback and for using Buildxact.

Andrew W.

Great allrounder that keeps getting better

Reviewed on 2021/08/26

We are able to generate accurate reports + track the jobs a lot better

Pros

Buildxact has all the features we need to run and manage multiple building projects.

Cons

Take off function takes a while to get used to

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the great review!

Min H.

Overall good

Reviewed on 2021/11/03

Very good, would recommend to anyone that in this industry

Pros

Software - easy and useful.
Service - 5 star services, solves all the issues we have ever.

Cons

Sometimes bugs still come out, most them have been resolved, but some we still have to pay attention too.

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the great feedback.

Barry T.

Buildxact Experience

Reviewed on 2021/11/03

My overall experience with Buildxact is great.Estimates are Professional and build confidence in your clients. This program will help you win Quotes.

Pros

The product was easy to use. Uploading your company logo for branding was easy. This program is backed up by fantastic support which I accessed .

Cons

Could have smoother transition between estimate and invoice. Should be in same drop down box. Ex convert current estimate to invoice.

Reasons for Choosing Buildxact

Buildxact was superior in functionality and ease of use. You cannot upload a print in CoConstruct and do take offs.

Reasons for Switching to Buildxact

It took me very little time with some articles and bit of conversation to start putting out professional looking estimates, in total time a couple days and your up and running providing detailed Quotes

Response from Buildxact

Great to hear you're enjoying the software so much Barry.

Grant S.

Buildxact

Reviewed on 2021/08/26

The main benefit is that we can have processes in place to assist us with quoting clients homes

Pros

Great software and they are continually improving their service offering. Easy to do take offs and manipulate the software to your individual requirements. The support teams are great, always ready to help you and assist you in getting the most out of the software. They continually run sessions on their updates to ensure you are across them. All of their support are based in Melbourne and Australian owned company which is great for local business.

Cons

Their quoting system wasn't ideal at the start however they have just released a newer version and it's great.

Response from Buildxact

Thanks for the great feedback Grant. Thank you for using Buildxact.

Glenn B.

Great work tool

Reviewed on 2021/12/15

Pros

Keeping my jobs costed and follow profit to each job

Cons

Nothing to mention, everything works as I need

Response from Buildxact

Glad you're enjoying the software Glenn!