Localist

Events build communities, and communities drive growth.

Elizabeth L.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Generally gets the job done, however, a couple of backend tweak would make life easier

Reviewed on 2019/11/06

Overall, I've had a good experience and there are a couple little things that could be refined.

Pros

I like how quick and easy it is to add an event, especially with the fields that auto-populate, such as the location field, linking the content to a map.

Cons

As a lead administrator who is in charge of approving events in our campus's pending queue, there's no distinction for me to know which events were saved by other admins on campus who will publish the content themselves (once they're ready), and which events are for me and me team to approve and publish.

Response from Localist

Thanks for the feedback Elizabeth!

Lisa W.

Localist is great

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

The customer service is excellent.
The product is easy to use.
Makes my work life easier.

Pros

Ease of use. Departments on campus can enter their event information.
You can customize the fields.

Cons

Nothing to dislike. Everything is great.

Response from Localist

Thanks for the positive review Lisa!

Rick B.

Localist- review

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Pros

The ability to add widgets to various digital properties

Cons

Some of the admin UI in unintuitive. We also found an issue with users being able to create their own avatar, in some cases the avatar could be offensive and there is no way to easily "report" that to the calendar admins.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your positive and detailed review Rick!

Jac K.

Good student & faculty tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Pros

Quick and easy-to-use feature on our website.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to share hosting titles with different groups.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your review Jac!

Andrea P.

Localist

Reviewed on 2020/04/08

Overall, I enjoy using Localist for my department. We are able to advertise many events to a broader network because of this software.

Pros

Localist is very easy to use. I love that I can "tag" other departments so my event shows up on multiple pages and gains more traction.

Cons

The one thing I would improve is the way the widget looks when integrating it on my department's personal website.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your positive review Andrea!

Raymond R.

Ray's review of Localist

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

I'm very familiar with Localist after having used it for a few years so I'm reluctant to change to a different email merge system but I do find it to be user-friendly and easy to introduce people to.

Pros

It's very easy to get started and set up a basic email. Support is very helpful and great about determining what issues I'm having. The emails usually look pretty great and consistent.

Cons

After I've uploaded a new audience, the response time a for it to appear and become useable. This is very confusing and stressful when you need to send the campaign.

When I import an audience and add new field names, I wish I didn't have to eventually rename them from the default "MEREGE8" in the Audience fields page.

I wish it were easier to modify the template and styles without "hacking it" via CSS.

Response from Localist

Thanks Raymond! I passed your feedback on to our support team too.

Teresa N.

It's OK

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

It seems like we started the Localist product with little information. Very learn-by-doing. Over time, it got better, but still have a long way to go. The webinar on Channels was so confusing that it took me months to figure out what they were talking about. Again, lots of learn-by-doing.

Pros

The approval process is quick and easy.
The calendar looks good.

Cons

• Need to be able to submit event to MORE THAN ONE LOCATION for multiple dates of same event. We have voter registration booths around campus, so have to pick one location, then add the others in the room number slot.
• Option to HIDE DESCRIPTION from main page. Now that calendar is used a lot, want to make front-facing page look more streamline.
• Need INSTRUCTIONS FOR USER-FACING PAGES, emphasizing importance of choosing audience, etc. Separate instructions on photos, channels, groups. Written or Video. Needs to be simple.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Teresa! I've passed your comments onto our Support Team to see what they can do to improve the experience.

Andrea G.

Great UX - easy and quick to use

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

We have been using Localist for a while now, using it as a primary destination for our stakeholders to learn about our events. The integration with our event management system is great and the UX is really good. Super user-friendly and clear with labels, flexible to add your own tags/categories, etc. We have embedded it in our website and it's awesome not to have to worry about managing multiple calendars - using the same one for the whole university and our individual department.

Cons

Some limited visual features to style the feed with code.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your review Andrea!

Sean O.

Localist Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

Makes it easy to manage events and for events to feed throughout our website.

Cons

You can't bulk approve, disapprove pending events. Having to deal with spam comments and events can be frustrating. Not sufficient documentation for creating custom widgets for our website. Some of the widget options when creating custom widgets are somewhat limited.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your detailed feedback Sean. I've passed your feedback onto our support team as well.

Chris L.

Localist review

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

The support staff has been very helpful.

Pros

The submission of events makes it easy for people to submit their events to the college. I also like the concept of the channels to create focused event series.

Cons

I wish there was a way to force event submissions into a specific format. For example, some people leave the community unselected, so I have to manually add that in during approval. Also, I wish there were batch actions for pending events.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Chris. I've passed your comment to our support team too!

Monaco J.

Really love this product - easy to undersand

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Pros

Easy to understand.
Lots of features but doesn't feel overwhelming

Cons

Doesn't have a monthly view. I honestly don't care. I think it looks good now. But a lot of my visitors complain about this. They want to see a monthly overview without a very long scroll. We have at least 50 events per month so I understand their concerns.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Monaco!

Michael T.
  • Industry: Publishing

Calendar of Events

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

As a publisher of all that's happening in the Baltimore area, we needed an easy way to publish events. The Localist team helped us with the initial platform launch, and has supported us every step of the way. The software is elegant, and the people behind the software provide excellent customer service.

Pros

Allows for user generated content with our review and approval
Excellent user experience

Cons

There is nothing that we don't like about the software

Response from Localist

Thanks for such a glowing review Michael!

Katlyn M.

Delightfully Functional Tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Pros

Being able to house all departments and divisions of our University into this single calendar platform has been a great tool to be able to utilize across our campuses. I definitely enjoy seeing faculty, staff, students, prospective students and parents all being able to log-in to our Localist calendar to see everything our campus has to offer in one place.

Cons

Some of the widget customizers don't mesh well with our University's web platform, but that's more of an issue on our side than Localist.

Response from Localist

Thanks for such a detailed review Katlyn!

Giada M.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Worked well for my institution

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Pros

My university needed a streamlined way to hold all of our events and be able to share them out. This system allows us to do that, and every department uses it now.

Cons

I wish there was a way to view all of the events in a month on a calendar format, rather than a list.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback and positive review Giada!

Simple and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Pros

I like this product because it allowed us to customize it for our organization's intent.

Cons

Sometimes the cache takes a really long time to update so you can't see the difference you made to featured items automatically.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your review!

Joe K.

localist review

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Pros

Localist is easy to use and flows well.

Cons

Better tracking needed, so you can follow approval process.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your review Joe!

Mike W.

Localist for Higher Education

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

The website integration is awesome! Also love the community that it builds for our users.

Cons

That you can't set the image display size on an embed.

Response from Localist

Thanks Mike! I've passed your comment along to our support team as well.

Christopher C.

Thanks!

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Pros

The software was really easy to use and helpful!

Cons

The software is a little pricey for what it offers

Response from Localist

Thanks for your positive review, Christopher!

Brandi H.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to use and excellent customer service

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

We wanted a tool that would make it easier for our users to add and manage their own events to a calendar, thus adding to the number events on the calendar at any given time. Localist, with its easy to use interface, has solved that problem. People have found it very easy to use with little to no training necessary. The Localist support team has been wonderful about replying quickly to any questions or help I've needed.

Pros

This was the easiest third-party tool implementation I've ever been a part of. They didn't oversell and under-deliver. The calendar was exactly as promised and so easy to use for both admins and our end-users. The interface is user friendly and has made adding and managing events very easy.

Cons

There isn't much that I like least about the software. Localist is very responsive to customer suggestions so updates are usually driven by users. The minor things are not deal breakers for me.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback, Brandi! What a great review!

We're catching up on responding to some Capterra reviews, and we wanted to check-in. I wanted to let you know that we are weeks away from launching an improved front-end on the Localist platform.

Our goal with this front-end release is to update the design of the customizable layout - without disturbing too much in the existing experience. Maintaining simplicity in the user's experience is critical. We have identified opportunities in key moments of interaction to improve user flows and optimize how content is consumed.

Looking forward to this release and would love to get some feedback from you after that release! If you have any questions and concerns hit us up at https://www.localist.com/contact/

Jeff F.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Excellent robust hosted event calendar solution

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We've used the platform for many years, replacing a very old and broken open source solution. Engagement with the calendar more than doubled, and sustained at double or sometimes triple the traffic. Pretty satisfied with it, though there's always room for improvement. Team is responsive and helpful.

Pros

The system is very focused on how users actually use event calendars, instead of being stuffed full of all the random features some folks might imagine people want. It's very user focused, very customizable, and a great solution for Higher Ed where so many different parts of the org have slightly different needs that can be accommodated. Embedding feeds in a very flexible and customizable way into each department's website was a life saver.

Cons

Some of the customizability can get a little clunky, wish there were a few more very nice built-in options and default templates. The default is nice, and the ability to get it perfectly on-brand are great, but several super polished default templates for the calendar and the widgets would go a long way. (Not a concern for shops with talented designers, but would be helpful for the smaller organizations.)

Response from Localist

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. We're looking forward to our latest release which will include some new templates we hope you will enjoy!

Jennifer R.

Lehigh review

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Overall experience has been very positive. Wish we had more standing communication with the Localist team to discuss product enhancements and issues.

Pros

It is a robust system to handle all our event communication management.

Cons

Occasional outages - recently we have seen many small outages (2-3 minutes) with the calendar.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Jennifer - good comments that I've passed along to our support team.

Kathleen C.

Can't say enoughh about Localist

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

The entire team at Localist is great to work with; speedy replies to email inquiries; a Slack channel for discussion. Truly a great company.

Pros

Localist has made event promotion so much more effective! Having a single place to list events, and the ability to display those events in multiple ways via multiple channels is time-saving and helps spread promote all our events. Since everyone on campus can submit an event, there's a built-in sense of community! The interface is clear and easy for all level of users! The social aspects of the calendar are the best facet: users can leave reviews, post photos and share with friends. Simply can't think of a better calendar platform for any college.

Cons

Customizing the CSS takes a higher understanding of programming than I possess...but our IT folks find it simple!

Response from Localist

Thanks for your detailed review Kathleen!

Emily K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Powerful tool that is simple to use

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Pros

Localists offers many features and displays beautifully. From administrators to calendar users, the platform is intuitive to use and offers truly useful features. Our users love the ease of expressing interest in an event and notifications in their inbox. Administrators love the ease of setup, reporting and the configuration flexibility. Our events site is attractive and easy to use for the public and we have more units using the calendar platform and the embed widget so they may display their events on their website as well.

Cons

We have a system that works for us but it would be nice to have a more options in setting up user permissions.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Emily!

Ellen H.

An excellent product and service

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We needed a calendar that was easy to use for multiple parties in order to pull together the calendar of events for multiple arts groups. It's been an effective tool.

Pros

Localist met the need for a calendar with a lot of features, satisfying our community need for a robust calendar. Wish the newsletter feature were simpler. Support has been fabulous.

Cons

Older newsletter feature was too limited and difficult, and the newer newsletter feature seems complicated still. A lot of software changes have been difficult to keep up with changes and features.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Ellen! I've passed your comment onto our support team as well.

Craig T.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Developer rarely gets involved.

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Fantastic. Great product, great support.

Pros

My favorite aspect of our Localist implementation is that, as our institution's sole developer, I don't have to worry about it. We skinned it, connected it to a few services, and it just runs. On occasion I need to update a style or template element, or generate a new widget, but otherwise I just stay out of it and our office manager handles the rest!

Cons

The only aspect I didn't like (pre-theme builder days) was the effort required to skin it ... but they totally overhauled that years ago, so it's a non-issue!

Response from Localist

Thanks for your positive review Craig!