Localist

4,4 (63)
Events build communities, and communities drive growth.

Nicky E.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Localist is the solution!

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We looked at many different event software solutions before deciding on Localist. It's a great product, and the customer service is unparalleled.

Pros

I really like how you can brand localist, customize the calendar offerings, and how it is a marketing platform in addition to a events platform.

Cons

I wish that the integration with Facebook still existed! I don't like double-creating everything - but using Localist and Facebook together = maximum visibility.

Response from Localist

Good feedback Nicky - Thanks!

Raymond R.

Ray's review of Localist

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

I'm very familiar with Localist after having used it for a few years so I'm reluctant to change to a different email merge system but I do find it to be user-friendly and easy to introduce people to.

Pros

It's very easy to get started and set up a basic email. Support is very helpful and great about determining what issues I'm having. The emails usually look pretty great and consistent.

Cons

After I've uploaded a new audience, the response time a for it to appear and become useable. This is very confusing and stressful when you need to send the campaign.

When I import an audience and add new field names, I wish I didn't have to eventually rename them from the default "MEREGE8" in the Audience fields page.

I wish it were easier to modify the template and styles without "hacking it" via CSS.

Constant Contact

Reasons for Switching to Localist

My program director vouched for it from her experience with it at her previous job.

Response from Localist

Thanks Raymond! I passed your feedback on to our support team too.

Stanley C.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Customer service is excellent, but the UI and functionality needs a revamp

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Overall I think the customer service is excellent. The UI and functionality needs to be improved. I've been using this software for 5 years and it has not changed much. It's time to improve on the current concept.

Pros

I like that I am able to segment my events into separate communities. I like the outstanding software support whenever I have questions.

The UI and functionality can be upgraded to better filter events and further improve usability.

Cons

I don't like that I can't give more control for approval of events. At my organization, we have one admin to approve the events. Events already submitted don't necessarily need to be reapproved by me if there are minor changes like dates. When someone does add/remove dates from an event, the event is no longer visible to the public and needs to be reapproved. Maybe the event shouldn't be pulled from the live feed and be amended by the changes when it's approved. Or there should be an option to automatically approve minor changes.

Another thing I don't like is the way you can filter down events. I think being able to see a calendar with the events listed on each day is a plus. (Kind of like seeing a physical calendar or using the Google calendar app.) People like to be able to see the events available on a week or monthly basis. I think this option would be most beneficial for the widget at least. I've been asked multiple times to have an alternative view to the list view we already have. The mini calendar for the widget is not functionally viable. It limits you to being only able to filter events on a day to day basis. If you ask me, I think it is rather cumbersome and not useful.

Response from Localist

Hey Stanley! Thanks for your review.

Our goal with this front-end release is to update the design of the customizable layout - without disturbing too much in the existing experience. Maintaining simplicity in the user's experience is critical. We have identified opportunities in key moments of interaction to improve user flows and optimize how content is consumed.

Looking forward to this release and would love to get some feedback from you after that release! If you have any questions and concerns hit us up at https://www.localist.com/contact/

Frankie R.
  • Industry: Government Relations

Beautiful, functional, and automated.

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

Our previous website calendar system consisted of our staff manually entering events when the public would email them to us. Even with copy/pasting each field, it would take up some time to process a lot of requests. Now, we can approve or deny events with the click of a button and the public takes the time to format the events themselves. This also allows for required fields so we don't receive events with missing information.

Pros

I really like the clean design of the calendar along with the functionality of event submissions. Having the public submit their own events automates our process so much more than it was before. All we have to do is click one button to approve or deny the events, and that makes our job much easier.

Cons

I think we could have a little more control over the customization of the design, but we still haven't hit too many roadblocks as it is now.

Response from Localist

Hey Frankie! Thanks for your feedback! We're catching up on responding to some Capterra reviews, and we wanted to check-in. I wanted to let you know that we are weeks away from launching an improved front-end on the Localist platform.

Brandi H.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to use and excellent customer service

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

We wanted a tool that would make it easier for our users to add and manage their own events to a calendar, thus adding to the number events on the calendar at any given time. Localist, with its easy to use interface, has solved that problem. People have found it very easy to use with little to no training necessary. The Localist support team has been wonderful about replying quickly to any questions or help I've needed.

Pros

This was the easiest third-party tool implementation I've ever been a part of. They didn't oversell and under-deliver. The calendar was exactly as promised and so easy to use for both admins and our end-users. The interface is user friendly and has made adding and managing events very easy.

Cons

There isn't much that I like least about the software. Localist is very responsive to customer suggestions so updates are usually driven by users. The minor things are not deal breakers for me.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback, Brandi! What a great review!

Jeff F.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Excellent robust hosted event calendar solution

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We've used the platform for many years, replacing a very old and broken open source solution. Engagement with the calendar more than doubled, and sustained at double or sometimes triple the traffic. Pretty satisfied with it, though there's always room for improvement. Team is responsive and helpful.

Pros

The system is very focused on how users actually use event calendars, instead of being stuffed full of all the random features some folks might imagine people want. It's very user focused, very customizable, and a great solution for Higher Ed where so many different parts of the org have slightly different needs that can be accommodated. Embedding feeds in a very flexible and customizable way into each department's website was a life saver.

Cons

Some of the customizability can get a little clunky, wish there were a few more very nice built-in options and default templates. The default is nice, and the ability to get it perfectly on-brand are great, but several super polished default templates for the calendar and the widgets would go a long way. (Not a concern for shops with talented designers, but would be helpful for the smaller organizations.)

Response from Localist

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. We're looking forward to our latest release which will include some new templates we hope you will enjoy!

Jason C.

Localist calendar manages our 1,000+ events/year

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

The customer service at Localist is excellent. They are proactive by checking in regularly and when we have an issue or question they address it right away.

Pros

Localist is very easy to setup and administer and is a very powerful calendar platform to help manage and promote our many events on campus. We've been able to shed our many rogue calendars and have everyone bought in on using Localist because it has many great features.

Cons

When we first bought Localist, we had to use advanced custom CSS to skin the site match our regular website. However, since then, they now offer a great theme tool that allows you to adjust the styles of your calendar without any coding, etc. We are now using the theme editor and love the fresh look of our calendar.

Response from Localist

Thanks for such a detailed review Jason!

Teresa N.

It's OK

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

It seems like we started the Localist product with little information. Very learn-by-doing. Over time, it got better, but still have a long way to go. The webinar on Channels was so confusing that it took me months to figure out what they were talking about. Again, lots of learn-by-doing.

Pros

The approval process is quick and easy.
The calendar looks good.

Cons

• Need to be able to submit event to MORE THAN ONE LOCATION for multiple dates of same event. We have voter registration booths around campus, so have to pick one location, then add the others in the room number slot.
• Option to HIDE DESCRIPTION from main page. Now that calendar is used a lot, want to make front-facing page look more streamline.
• Need INSTRUCTIONS FOR USER-FACING PAGES, emphasizing importance of choosing audience, etc. Separate instructions on photos, channels, groups. Written or Video. Needs to be simple.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Teresa! I've passed your comments onto our Support Team to see what they can do to improve the experience.

Jennifer R.

Lehigh review

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Overall experience has been very positive. Wish we had more standing communication with the Localist team to discuss product enhancements and issues.

Pros

It is a robust system to handle all our event communication management.

Cons

Occasional outages - recently we have seen many small outages (2-3 minutes) with the calendar.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Jennifer - good comments that I've passed along to our support team.

• Used for 2+ years

Flexible Calendar Solution That Can Centralize Your Events

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We have successfully used the Localist solution to centralize and consolidate our various calendars and event posts. What was previously done via many entry points can now be done through one. The vendor assisted us throughout but most of the work had to be done internally for obvious reasons.

Pros

The solution is very flexible to our needs and the branding capabilities are impressive. We also liked that we can have both internal and external, public-facing calendar views. The final implementation is seamless to the end users and appears to them as though it was custom, in-house work.

Cons

The actual setup of the solution was laborious. Our goal was to consolidate many separate calendars in use around our organization. Setting up each integration feed and forming appropriate categories to fit each of the various events was the most challenging part. It required several discussions with our stakeholder group.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your detailed review!

Kathleen C.

Can't say enoughh about Localist

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

The entire team at Localist is great to work with; speedy replies to email inquiries; a Slack channel for discussion. Truly a great company.

Pros

Localist has made event promotion so much more effective! Having a single place to list events, and the ability to display those events in multiple ways via multiple channels is time-saving and helps spread promote all our events. Since everyone on campus can submit an event, there's a built-in sense of community! The interface is clear and easy for all level of users! The social aspects of the calendar are the best facet: users can leave reviews, post photos and share with friends. Simply can't think of a better calendar platform for any college.

Cons

Customizing the CSS takes a higher understanding of programming than I possess...but our IT folks find it simple!

Response from Localist

Thanks for your detailed review Kathleen!

Pam M.

Localist is a GREAT calendar app

Reviewed on 2019/01/05

An attractive, easy to use calendar appears on our website. It's easy to link people to events and there is plenty of room to promote our volunteer and recreational opportunities.

Pros

Installation and use of Localist is a breeze. Because our state agency partner also uses it, duplication of events and effort (for me at least) has been cut way down.

Cons

Like all technology, it can be intimidating and not all of our chapters have been convinced to install a widget on their own websites. It's early days though and I am hopeful.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Pam!

Emily K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Powerful tool that is simple to use

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Pros

Localists offers many features and displays beautifully. From administrators to calendar users, the platform is intuitive to use and offers truly useful features. Our users love the ease of expressing interest in an event and notifications in their inbox. Administrators love the ease of setup, reporting and the configuration flexibility. Our events site is attractive and easy to use for the public and we have more units using the calendar platform and the embed widget so they may display their events on their website as well.

Cons

We have a system that works for us but it would be nice to have a more options in setting up user permissions.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Emily!

Jill S.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great solution for promoting events

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

Localist has put a lot of thought into designing a system that simply makes sense to users, and they offer great advice on how to organize filters and user functions so that they remain intuitive. We've had nothing but happy comments from users and providers.

Pros

It's extremely intuitive and easy for both end users and event providers to dive right in. Also, I love their support team. They are enthusiastic, have a solid technical understanding of the software, respond quickly with solutions that work and creative ideas.

Cons

Moderating/reviewing events can be a bit awkward if you have a lot of reviewers. It isn't difficult, but requires some planning and coordination.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback, Jill! We're catching up on responding to some Capterra reviews, and we wanted to check-in. I wanted to let you know that we are weeks away from launching an improved front-end on the Localist platform.

Terry G.

Love this calendar!

Reviewed on 2019/01/02

Localist has been a dream with which to work. They helped integrate their calendar with the SquareSpace and their support team is always ready to help. Great product and excellent support.

Pros

The ease of use and flexibility for event entry.

Cons

That it does not work well with the Squarespace platform.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Terry!

Andrea G.

Great UX - easy and quick to use

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

We have been using Localist for a while now, using it as a primary destination for our stakeholders to learn about our events. The integration with our event management system is great and the UX is really good. Super user-friendly and clear with labels, flexible to add your own tags/categories, etc. We have embedded it in our website and it's awesome not to have to worry about managing multiple calendars - using the same one for the whole university and our individual department.

Cons

Some limited visual features to style the feed with code.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your review Andrea!

Elizabeth L.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Generally gets the job done, however, a couple of backend tweak would make life easier

Reviewed on 2019/11/06

Overall, I've had a good experience and there are a couple little things that could be refined.

Pros

I like how quick and easy it is to add an event, especially with the fields that auto-populate, such as the location field, linking the content to a map.

Cons

As a lead administrator who is in charge of approving events in our campus's pending queue, there's no distinction for me to know which events were saved by other admins on campus who will publish the content themselves (once they're ready), and which events are for me and me team to approve and publish.

Response from Localist

Thanks for the feedback Elizabeth!

Megan P.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Easy to use, wish it was more customizable

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

I do not communicate with customer support directly, but it seems like it often takes a long time for us to get responses when we do.

Pros

Very easy to use. We have many event admins across our campus, and people seem to pick it up pretty quickly regardless of level of experience.

Cons

I wish it was more customizable for our needs. With such a large campus, we end up with many events in our pending queue, both from non-admins and admins who accidentally submit events for approval instead of just adding to the calendar. We have asked to have facets added to the main queue so that we can filter by different fields.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Megan!

Melissa F.

Great for web widgets

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

I love the functionality, and the customizable widgets are a lifesaver.

Pros

I love the fact that I can customize widgets for our existing websites, and link to our registration software easily.

Cons

I do wish that when people post notifications or questions on the event listing that it would notify administrators that there was a post. This could help us weed out the spam postings and also answer questions for those that actually needed the help.

Response from Localist

Thanks for the great feedback and a positive review Melissa!

Heather P.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Schedule Buy Tickete Button

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

Easy to use, very user friendly and I enjoy how customizable the feeds are.

Cons

Please add the ability to schedule the buy ticket button. We want to get our events out there asap to give people the opportunity to select their events for season packages. We have to go in later to set up buy ticket buttons for individual tickets. Season package holders get preference on their seats first.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Heather! I've passed it along to our support team as well.

Ellen H.

An excellent product and service

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We needed a calendar that was easy to use for multiple parties in order to pull together the calendar of events for multiple arts groups. It's been an effective tool.

Pros

Localist met the need for a calendar with a lot of features, satisfying our community need for a robust calendar. Wish the newsletter feature were simpler. Support has been fabulous.

Cons

Older newsletter feature was too limited and difficult, and the newer newsletter feature seems complicated still. A lot of software changes have been difficult to keep up with changes and features.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Ellen! I've passed your comment onto our support team as well.

Sean O.

Localist Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

Makes it easy to manage events and for events to feed throughout our website.

Cons

You can't bulk approve, disapprove pending events. Having to deal with spam comments and events can be frustrating. Not sufficient documentation for creating custom widgets for our website. Some of the widget options when creating custom widgets are somewhat limited.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your detailed feedback Sean. I've passed your feedback onto our support team as well.

Terri A.

Event marketing

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Customer service is quick to respond. If Localist would give suggestions for ways to get users engaged, it would be helpful. While we in put all the data, we aren't seeing the return in marketing and attendance.

Pros

posts are clean and fairly user friendly

Cons

signing up for events...too many steps to review
search engine can be clunky
text messaging feature would be nice

Response from Localist

Thanks Terri! I've passed your review to our support team and they'll be following up with those suggestions.

Craig T.
  • Used for 2+ years

Developer rarely gets involved.

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Fantastic. Great product, great support.

Pros

My favorite aspect of our Localist implementation is that, as our institution's sole developer, I don't have to worry about it. We skinned it, connected it to a few services, and it just runs. On occasion I need to update a style or template element, or generate a new widget, but otherwise I just stay out of it and our office manager handles the rest!

Cons

The only aspect I didn't like (pre-theme builder days) was the effort required to skin it ... but they totally overhauled that years ago, so it's a non-issue!

Response from Localist

Thanks for your positive review Craig!

Chris L.

Localist review

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

The support staff has been very helpful.

Pros

The submission of events makes it easy for people to submit their events to the college. I also like the concept of the channels to create focused event series.

Cons

I wish there was a way to force event submissions into a specific format. For example, some people leave the community unselected, so I have to manually add that in during approval. Also, I wish there were batch actions for pending events.

Response from Localist

Thanks for your feedback Chris. I've passed your comment to our support team too!