Altaro VM Backup

Virtual machine backup and replication for Hyper-V & VMware

Posh G.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Easy to use and it works

Reviewed on 2020/01/16

We are very happy with Altaro as our backup solution. We have been using Altaro over 2 years on all our hosts. Pricing is far better compared to other similar backup solutions in the market.

Pros

We are a medium-size organization with Altaro installed on 6 hyper-v hosts. Experience has been great with Altaro when it comes to backups of all our VMs and restoring data/files. Very easy setup and administration even a nontechie can get this set up in less than 15 minutes. GUI is very intuitive and gives you all the information required. Cloud management console makes it easier to manage and receive alerts from anywhere. Support is great and always very helpful in resolving issues promptly. 5 stars!!

Cons

Little sensitive to storage device errors. However, nothing to concern about as it usually gives you plenty of information to troubleshoot the issue. Support is great from Altaro in resolving them quickly and efficiently.

Andy C.
  • Industry: Textiles

Simple to Implement and Use

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

Luckily, we've not had any major incidents and haven't had to perform a bare metal restore for real, but we've never had a failure on our 3 monthly practice runs, regardless of whether we've used local or offsite backups, so as far as I'm concerned it's the best backup software I've every used in the last 30 years.

Pros

The software is simple to install, configure and use. Possibly more importantly it's really easy to test the backups as you can restore them in a sandbox environment.

Cons

The user interface can be a bit slow and unresponsive at times especially when using the file granular restore. I know a 2 or 3 second wait for a list of files isn't bad, it's just that I've no patience.

Other than that my biggest gripe is that you can no longer buy the software or SMA's direct from Altaro in the UK.

Pim P.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Easy to use backup software!

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

We solved a lot of issues regarding to serers being down. We mount the VM in another Hyper-V environment and the customer is ready to work again in minutes. While we restore the complete work-environment from the cloud.

Pros

- File granular restore
- Restore from mounted VM
- Offsite copies external device
- Offsite copies in the cloud
- Replication

Cons

Sometimes the UI speed is somewhat slow. When restoring on file level, the selection of the disks goes somewhat slow.

Stefan E.

Fantastic Piece of Software

Reviewed on 2020/11/19

We are using altaro on every customer site with different storages (QNAP, Synology, Windows Servers) and never had any serious problems. Offsite directly to Azure works like a charm! The guys and girls from the support team are lightning fast with response and can help you in minutes. We love it!

Pros

Super easy to setup! super easy to use! rock solid software with outstanding support. This is by far one of the best backup&recovery products since years.

Cons

I tried my best to find something to dislike but we've never had any serious problems or flaws with the software.

Steve C.

Solid product for backing up Hyper-V VMs

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

The software is constantly being updated, which is good to see. It is solid and robust. I have had several events where I needed to restore individual files or emails, and it has worked perfectly. I also had one server that hard-crashed during a Microsoft update. Restoring the system was fairly quick.

Pros

The software can be setup and automated in a set-and-forget method. I have it email me status reports so I know if there's an issue. It just works.

Cons

When you first open the UI, there is a slight delay while it checks for your license status. If you try to do certain functions prior to the software confirming you are licensed, you will be notified you're running an unlicensed version - minor heart-attack the first time that happened! Now I just wait a few seconds.

Blue P.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

No better software for the money

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

From day one I found this so easy to use compared to other products. Right out of the gate it worked and did its job with no issues. When the time came to need it to save me it did not fail. You will not find a better product for such a good price point.

Pros

From day one this software just gets better and more features added for a great price point. It is easy to use and reliable. When an issue does happen support is a great help and it too just gets better over time as this software and company have evolved.

Cons

I have none this does everything I need it to and more.

Fabian W.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Affordable Business Class Backup Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

Pros

Functional Backup is set up in no time, there is basically no learning curve at all. All functions are pretty much self explanatory. It can be used by people without any IT background at all, therefore it is a great solution to implement at customer sites that have no own IT management.

Cons

Backup locations are limited, one main location, one offsite location, that's it. You sacrifice some options for ease of use.

Response from Altaro Software

Many thanks for your feedback. We will add your vote to this feature request!

Dylan S.

Great service and performance

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

Altaro makes it easy for us to get backups up and running and gives us piece of mind that they'll be reliable.
Their support is top notch, there's never a long wait on the live chat and their technicians are knowledgeable and quick to resolve issues.

Pros

Reliability, backups almost never fail and even when they do, support is always quick to resolve the issue

Cons

Not much, it works well for us, i would say perhaps the interface could be modernised but that's being picky

• Industry: Media Production

It's so simple

Reviewed on 2019/03/11

The entire package is simple and awesome, simply awesome, especially considering the price point.

Pros

sandbox restores, great backup options, multiple backup destinations, great restore options especially with MS Exchange, low overhead, great use of storage space, a product that's been maturing very well over the past few years.

Cons

Wish it would work on non server OS like Windows 10 Pro.

Marko P.

My review

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

Quick backups, disaster recovery. File level restore. Deduplication and compression needs less space.

Pros

A lot of features for good price.

Cons

Nothing to report.
Everything works ok, support is great.

Denham M.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Real simple and easy Backup

Reviewed on 2019/03/11

Solid easy to use backups!

Pros

Pretty much everything is super easy to setup and it just runs. Ran into some very minor setup problems but that was mostly hyper v server. Simple management and scheduling for all normal backup tasks.

Cons

It's not an issue with normal usage but I'd like an easier way to drill down into backups and move backup sets to a new host. Maybe an optional back up schedule for when a vm is moved to another host.

Serdar S.

Best VM Backup Software Available

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

I've done several granular and VM restores using Altaro and it's very user friendly. When offering HyperV services to a customer, Altaro is usually our go-to backup solution.

Pros

Very easy to setup and begin taking backups, both on free version and paid.

Cons

Price point for paid versions is fairly high, especially if just needed for standalone VMs not in a cluster.

Not having granular file restore on free version is unfortunate.

György V.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

A really good software in a Windows based environment

Reviewed on 2020/11/18

Pros

The software is really easy to setup and use.

Cons

File level data recovery not working on unix based environments.

Matt M.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Excellent VM backup software

Reviewed on 2019/12/06

Altaro makes me feel like I have control over the backups of my environment, and I feel encouraged that I can continue to trust this software.

Pros

I'm really impressed by how easy it was to get up and going with Altaro. Setup was very straightforward and it was simple to get all the pieces in place and get going.

Cons

I haven't really run into any issues while using this software, so as of writing this review, I have no cons to contribute.

Aaron E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great software, very easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

I purchased Altaro to get rid of Veeam which was installed by an MSP that I replaced. Altaro ticked almost all of my requirement boxes, coming from an MSP myself where we used Datto BDR for backups.

Pros

I love the boot-from-backup capability. It's crucial in a Disaster Recover scenario. We tested this last year in our DR test.

Cons

I wish that had the ability to function like a proper BDR device without hurdles and hoops to jump through.

Noah H.

Altaro review by mints

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Pros

- Easy to use (installation, configuration, backup & restore)
- very stabile
- backup solution for hyper-v and vmware

Cons

- not for linux derivates
- vmware backups are not as stable as hyper-v

Anthony S.
  • Industry: Investment Management

Easy to use and gets the job done

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Pros

Great Price
Easy to setup and to use
Great Support Team
Local and Cloud Backups are both great and easy to configure
Keeps backup sizes to a minimum

Cons

Would like to have possibility to have a backup of a physical server

Response from Altaro Software

Many thanks for your review! We greatly appreciate it.

We will soon be providing backup of physical machines -- we will notify our customers and followers about this. Stay tuned!

Si T.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

It really does what it says on the Tin!

Reviewed on 2020/01/22

The whole experience wrapped up is just - Good!! We had a situation causing us to move away from another backup vendor due to issues (not being able to depend on a backup to simply do its job causes sleepless nights after a while). We installed Altaro VM Backup, configured it - all in 15 minutes, including set-up of the email alerts and left it for the evening. Next day - Emails are usually our first encounter as to what occurred overnight - They were all Green! Seriously - a big wow from us! 7 Virtual Machines all backed up successfully and in a time window that seriously made me look twice. The compression and the speed of backups - wow!

Pros

I have a few things I like - but the most nicest thing: The user interface on Altaro product always seems so simple, and logical. Being in IT support, I dread those times when it takes 20 minutes to work out the GUI or interface to try and restore a file or check a backup log.

Cons

OK - Not being funny - I'll have to come back to this question, because I struggle to think of something I really don't like right now.

Antonio L.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

VERY HAPPY WITH THIS BUY

Reviewed on 2021/02/03

We are using it in a offsite backup system recommended by our it supplier NEWLIME CONCULTING

Pros

It's very reliable and easy to deploy and use.

Cons

I cant remember any downturn to this cool backup software.

Shlomo F.

Why we moved from a competing software to Altaro backup software.

Reviewed on 2019/08/09

While we are a smallish company, we have a pretty large virtual environment, mostly for development and testing purposes. We currently house about 80 VMs and have at our disposal about 60 TB of disk space. We were unhappy with our current backup software and started looking for alternatives. Altaro was chosen as the replacement software primarily due to their exemplary support services, fair pricing structure and a rich set of features and functions. As a software company ourselves, we are very aware and sensitive to the level of support that comes with purchasing a software. Altaro offer 24/7 technical support, and they are very good at resolving issues and answering questions.

Pros

Extremely easy to install, configure and get running. Within 15 minutes, all the Hyper-V hosts and the VMs were recognized and ready for backup. A non-experienced junior employee can get the product up and running.

User GUI is very clean, clear and intuitive. We managed to perform all the tasks without reading any instructions.

Altaro is fast, very fast. The first time we performed a full backup, there was concern that it completed too soon, and that the backups were not usable. But we restored to a test drive and they all checked out.
The incremental backups with deduplication are even faster, taking only a minute or so per VM.

The Deduplication compression is very good. We are currently looking at over 80% savings of space.

The price is right. They have a very fair pricing structure for both licenses and support services and offer discounts and incentives when needed.

Offsite backup feature easy to implement. Using their offsite server setup file, any computer within the intranet/internet can become an offsite backup location.

Consistently improving their offerings. With every new release of the software, clients are introduced to new features and functions, many of which have come from the clients themselves. They listen to the client’s feedback.

Exemplary support services. One of the few companies that offer 24/7 support staffed with senior technical resources. We have always been able to receive support and assistance almost instantly.

Cons

Too sensitive with error codes from storage devices. In cases that other products complete the backup and restore, Altaro fails due to minor errors reported from storage devices. I wish they would complete the backup and just add a warning that there was an error code reported. Using a new storage device resolved the issues in our case.

No support for defining many backup JOBS. You can only define one primary and one offsite backup source, and each VM can only belong to these 2 sources. It would be nice to be able to backup a VM multiple times, to multiple primary sources, each source with different location and retention policy. This can be achieved only by a many to many relationship between VMS and Primary/Offsite sources. I was told this may be coming out in the next release.

Response from Altaro Software

Thanks for reviewing Altaro VM Backup - we really appreciate it. We confirm that the support you require for backup jobs will become available in v8.5 of the solution, scheduled to be released later this year.

Petr Š.

Best backup tool for that amount of money

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

I use altaro backup for few years now, started with the free licenses for 2VM environments and with every new version there is bunch of new features (like CDP, replication for example).

Pros

The biggest reason for use of Altaro VM Backup is the price. For reasonable money you can get full package of virtual machine backup tools. Now it is even cheaper (for small environment with 2-3 virtual machines) with Altaro MSP program, for like 5 bucks a month per VM you get unlimited plus license - such a great deal!

Cons

The only cons in some cases is no option for Hyper-V host backup. I know, it is necessary in like 3% of cases, but still, if you are part of the 3%, you have no chance with Altaro and you have to use another app for host backup.

I was a bit disappointed with new limitations of free license - no retention policy available, no immediate backup notification to email in V8. But anyway - you can now always jump to MSP program for really small money.

Response from Altaro Software

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup.
We actually do have plans to release a backup solution for physical servers, which will give the option to restore that physical server to a VM.
That said, it will not handle hypervisors, the Hyper-V Host should not have anything aside from VMs running on it, so normally a one-off or periodic backup using Windows Server Backup should be enough to cover your needs, as the data that is changing is inside the VMs themselves, which Altaro VM Backup is backing up regularly.
We have a more detailed blog article about this here if you're interested in further reading:

Dirk B.

Altaro Backup - The Only Way to Go

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

We are a small IT services company and we use it to backup all of our clients servers. It has come to the rescue on several occasions. From a "borked" Windows server upgrade to an partially encrypted server we have been able to restore the clients server/data with little or no loss of data. It makes us look like heroes. We have tried other solutions and none give us the all the features that Altaro has at a reasonable cost.

Pros

- the ability to boot from backup is a life saver. On more that one occasion we have had to boot from backup after the clients onsite IT accidently "borked" their SQL server. With boot from backup the client was able to continue working while the software completed the restore of the VM in the background.
- offsite backup allows us to store the nightly backups from our clients at on offsite location, with this feature we no longer have to pickup and return drives on a daily basis to our client locations. Not only do we save time, but we are able to charge for the service and save our clients money on the costs of a daily hard drive rotation.

Cons

- trivial, but it would save a step if when upgrading the software it would uninstall the old software for you. Currently you have to remember to manually uninstall it first then install the new release

Christian S.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Review from Germany

Reviewed on 2020/02/24

Altaro is ideal for small enviroments with HYPERV ONLY. If customers growth, or if you need integration into Vendor Driven Storage Arrays you will have to look for other products.

Pros

I install Altaro in HYPERV Only enviroments. In general it works fine. I am a reseller since 8 Years and run Altaro on various sites. Installation is very easy and you will get good results.

Cons

The easyness has issues in bigger enviroments. One of my customers is running 6 Clusters and aprox 10 standalone hyperv hosts. I would like to have a better reporting tool to plan the jobs. Reporting is poor in general. Ex. Time for backup in real live is much longer than shown, depending on weh the stop watch is started. Altaro Seems to measure the time after a succesfull snapshot, saving the data. Lots of other features (includung LOG Mainentance is promised for years).

Alan M.
  • Industry: Research

Backup bang for buck

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

I've been using it for over five years to back up my virtual machines. It's a great product and I only wish I could back up my branch domain controllers with it. It's never let me down.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to setup
Regular updates
Ability to replicate entire servers to Hyper-V host in hot site
Very space efficient
Exchange mailbox item level restore
Competent support
Priced competitively

Cons

Doesn't do physical machines: if it did physical machines to tape libraries as well as disk I'd use nothing else for backup
Support doesn't cover all time zones: there's sometimes a delay in getting assistance

Response from Altaro Software

Thanks ever so for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We appreciate it.

I wanted you to know that we will soon be providing backup of physical machines and will notify our customers and followers about this in due course.

We're also now starting to provide 24/7 support.

Patrik M.
  • Industry: Animation

Altaro review: small business, 2-4 hosts

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

Very good. Have been able to restore objects very easily when needed.

Pros

Stability and high amount of good features.

Cons

Hard to diagnose errors as an end user. However, the support is easy to reach via chat at most office hours.

Response from Altaro Software

Thank you for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We are working on more detailed error messaging, and we are putting efforts into publishing additional KB articles which error messages can link to so as to provide a `next step¿ for each error scenario. However this is not always possible and sometimes we simply do need to look into further logging to provide further recommendations and solutions -- in those cases you will of course find our team ready to help, quickly!