ZipBooks

Accounting & online invoicing software

Susan B.

ZipBooks - Perfect for a Hobby turned Small Business!

Reviewed on 2017/01/05

The ZipBooks staff have been very responsive and willing to help. The software is free to use, however, there is a $1.25 charge per Paypal transaction when a customer pays via ZipBooks invoice. It provides basic accounting features that would work well for a person who is turning their hobby into a small business or a small contract business.

If you are new to accounting, ZipBooks is perfect. If you are accustomed to accounting software, then this free software isn't for you. It doesn't yet have dynamic reporting features, ie no balance sheet or clickable fields to expand a data field on the Income Statement. If your business is small and you are going to keep it that way, ZipBooks is perfect. If your business is thriving and growing, invest in paid software as you'll quickly grow out of ZipBooks.

That said, I'm told they have changes in the works so maybe this won't hold true in the near future.

Pros

Easy to use for someone with no accounting knowledge. Perfect for an MLM or hobby turned business. I love, love, love that their customer service is responsive.

Cons

The reporting features are seriously lacking. No balance statement, COG's are lumped together on the Income Statement, no division of income sources and no field on the Income Statement is clickable for a detailed report. Invoice and Expense pages are long with one arrow to the next page on the top and when editing an invoice or expense and saving, you are brought to the "1-50" page instead of the current page you were working on.

Cj S.
  • Industry: Photography

Not perfect, but constantly improving and Customer Support is the best with super fast replys!

Reviewed on 2017/10/09

Pros

I run a photography+subcontractor business. I've been with Zipbooks since before they started charging a fee (switched from freshbooks) and let me tell you, there were definitely some major growing pains. The good new is that they listened to the customers and would always solve problems quickly.
The gap between Zipbooks and Quickbooks/Freshbooks/etc.. used to be cavernous, but that gap is almost unnoticeable now. The interface is ridiculously easy to understand and flows really well. It's the best user interface experience I've had for accounting software.
Costumer service has been nothing short of impressive. I'm an accounting/bookkeeping newb and the customer support has basically trained me how to do my own accounting. They have this great chat button that's always in the bottom right corner so you can easily ask questions and get answers like if you were chatting with a friend on facebook messenger.
The company has a long way to go to being the best, but they certainly have the chops for it! I would high

Cons

The fact that I can't mark an invoice as paid from the list view. I don't like the extra step of clicking through to the individual invoice. But, it's a minor inconvenience.

Enrique O.

Exceptional value to this cloud-based accounting software. Compared to many other popular...

Reviewed on 2017/07/04

Saved on monthly unnecessary accounting fees using this service and the software fit my small business without having to worry about getting stuck with bells and whistles I didn't need.

Pros

Easy to use, Great Customer Service, Available when you need it, Accounting made easy and management of clients is great. Invoicing is a breeze, even on the fly. Swayed from Wave Accounting for Zipbooks time keeping feature and decided against Quickbooks because of its pricing structure.

Cons

Managing transactions is automated with your linked bank account. But, entering transactions manually is tricky. The user must keep a close eye on transactions so the software reconciles accurately. But, this could be relevant to any accounting software...

• Industry: Hospitality

Great for a small business for accounting and invoicing

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Pros

I love the simplicity of ZipBooks and that it doesn't require a software installation. It has all the features I need to run my business without having to pay or wade through features I don't need.

Cons

Nothing so far. If my needs expand I can migrate to something more robust.

Debbie F.

ZipBooks provided simple software and it grew with me - from free to inexpensive.

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

I started with accounting but now I use it for invoicing and time tracking. I can share with other users as well. Reports are easy to see and simple to use.

Pros

You don't need to be certified to use it! Unlike other accounting options :). It was easy to use, the reports were great and it helped for invoicing, time tracking and accounting.

Cons

They are still growing their integrations to work with other software and solutions so you can't connect with very many apps outside paypal, stripe, and wepay.

Brian L.

Use this app frequently to pass time and to get a nice read!

Reviewed on 2018/07/08

Pros

Great app! They provide the best reads of the day, week and month. Working in NYC , very convenient to walk into a Barnes n Nobles and get a quick peak of today's best read.

Cons

Best reads are often repeated. On days I actually want to check out what to read and noticing it before is a turn off.

Jason B.
  • Industry: Information Services

Solid solution with great customer care

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

I can’t imagine doing my billing without it. It’s easy to use, it has great functionality, and in the rare occasion I have problems, the support team is on point and engaged with a great attitude and ownership of the problem. Excellent job!!

Pros

It’s very easy to use with minimal issues.

Cons

10 day turn around on payment of invoices

Alessandra O.
  • Industry: Research

Anytime i have an issue (usually me not being very technological) i get a professional...

Reviewed on 2017/07/17

Accountancy in order

Pros

It would be crazy not to appreciate it!!!
It is of fundamental help for my work. I can create, edit, send, download an invoice from anywhere in the world with just my phone qnd few clicks. I used to have all invoice scattered everywhere in my personal computer, home computer. Now i have everything with me at all time

Cons

Maybe the renovation is too often so what happens is that you can't keep up with it all the time. This is the only thing

Christopher M.

ZipBooks gives me a simple, but powerful alternative to QuickBooks Online, at 1/3 the cost

Reviewed on 2017/08/07

Pros

The interface is very modern, responsive, and easy to navigate. I moved from QuickBooks to ZipBooks due to a recent price increase, and I haven't looked back. It has most of the features from QuickBooks that I needed, plus I actually enjoy working in ZipBooks because the app just works.

Cons

It could allow a bit more invoice customization, like being able to set a NET-15 / NET-30 on a recurring invoice rather than it being due on receipt. Other than that, it's worked pretty well.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Gamechanger for how I do online coaching/consulting.

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

Streamlined my invoicing system.

Pros

At the end of this day, this has streamlined how I send invoices and receive payments, without having to think about the software. That's a win for me.

Cons

There are some aspects of the UI that feel a bit bloated and unnecessary. Could be streamlined some.

• Industry: Restaurants

Great For Basic Scenarios

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

Pros

Easy to pull reports when I need them. Used to have bookkeepers as well

Cons

Can't easily do deferred revenue, so it's not ideal for SaaS where upfront payments are involved

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks for your review!

David S.

ZipBooks has been super useful as my one-stop-shop for all my invoicing needs.

Reviewed on 2015/11/23

Pros: Very simple to use and intuitive. I'm amazed how easy they've made invoicing. Not to mention it's 100% free, which makes it a no-brainer choice for me. I've been impressed with the customer service and how quickly they've been adding features. ZipBooks is the invoicing tool of the future.

Cons: There's still a few more features I'd like added, but they seem to release new stuff regularly so I know it's only a matter of time till everything I need is included in the software.

Response from ZipBooks

David,

Thanks for your patience on our feature release timeline. We won't let you down!

Chai L.

I love ZipBooks! Switched from QuickBooks and never looking back.

Reviewed on 2018/05/21

Pros

It has a free level without ridiculous limits, as well as a more robust premium version. It is beautifully designed, easy to use, and allows for people to keep detailed records easily.

Cons

The little upgrade messages can get in the way sometimes - if you click the wrong area, you might lose your invoice when it asks you to upgrade. Just a small bug, but pretty unpleasant.

Karin H.

Great product and easy to use

Reviewed on 2015/11/20

I just learned about this product and so far I am pretty impressed by what it can do and the support level they offer for a free product.

Response from ZipBooks

Karin,

Let us know if you have any questions about the product. We would be happy to answer any questions about the specifics.

Thanks!

ZipBooks Team

Francesco P.

Very good and great potential

Reviewed on 2016/01/20

It's really easy to use and it has a lot of potential.
I was using wave invoicing before but I switched to Zipbooks and I'm really happy with it.
The customer service is also great.
It lacks some features of the big players but they are growing fast and you will not be disappointed!

Patrick M.

ZipBooks - Awesome

Reviewed on 2015/11/23

Great online accounting program. Best of all, it's free! This is one program where I would actually consider paying for it.

Vital V.

The best value for zero price

Reviewed on 2015/12/07

Ideal choice for small business.

The best app a small business owner could use

Reviewed on 2019/10/24

Highly recommend – beautiful, easy to use, full-featured, and more affordable than any of its nearest competitors.

Pros

ZipBooks is the most affordable, feature rich accounting software I've ever used. It allows me to accomplish everything I need, from sending expenses, to tracking time and expenses, to invoicing. I've used other software and it either didn't include time tracking or it was too expensive for my small business.

Their web app is also incredibly easy to use and is design very well. It's all organized in a way that makes sense and the charts/reports are beautiful.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with ZipBooks is their mobile app. I'm running it on my iPhone and it seems like it's just a web-app published in a shell, storing no local information. It's difficult to track time or send invoices that haven't been saved as a draft. Sent invoices also display in reverse order – with the cache clearing every time I open the app.

If they built a full-featured, native app I think ZipBooks would be perfect.

Jack D.

A great invoicing and accounting solution for small agencies and freelancers

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

A highly functional and easy-to-use platform for client invoicing and accounting.

Pros

Zipbooks is a phenomenal tool for invoicing and billing clients. As a digital agency, our team does all of our estimating, invoicing, billing, time tracking and accounting through Zipbooks, and it's been a great experience. The platform has seen continuous improvement throughout 2017 and 2018, so I have a lot of confidence that we'll continue to run our business through Zipbooks.

Cons

The slick interface comes to be a burden when reconciling transactions - if you're not an accountant by trade, it can be easy to make a mistake and have difficulty correcting it due to the streamlined presentation. After struggling with this, I've been able to refine my reporting process to work well with Zipbooks.

The project management tool/time tracking was a bit weak but it is getting better and I'm happy to see the service improve.

I would also like to see support for signing contracts/agreements for related invoices.

Mike W.

Great software with outstanding technical support

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

The software itself is fairly straightforward and easy to use, although for someone who doesn't know accounting that well it sometimes can be slightly confusing. What is really great though is that their support team is very knowledgeable and can not only help solve technical issues but can also help explain what their software means to you from an accounting standpoint.

Invoicing is simple and easy to use, integration to bank and credit card accounts continues to improve, and they continue to enhance the set of reports available to help you understand how your business is doing.

Cons

It's fairly minor stuff - the graph on the main page of the application assumes you are using accrual basis accounting, and that ends up misrepresenting the numbers you see if you are using cash basis accounting. I also don't like that I can define that my business uses cash basis but the reports always default to accrual.

It would be nice to understand how the business health score is calculated, as mine continues to decrease despite the fact that I thought my business was continuing to improve.

Leigh P.

Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2018/06/27

For small business, it's perfect.

Pros

The software is user friendly. Easy to re-set up our company. Like the on-line look from the customer's point of view. It's easy to complete.

Cons

I do find it a bit frustrating that I cannot find out WHEN my deposits are estimated to hit my bank. It's either that it doesn't exist in the software, or that it's difficult, even for a daily user, to find it in the menu system.

Derek C.

Simply Amazing

Reviewed on 2016/12/30

ZipBooks is the perfect bookkeeping solution for my small business! It allows me to add client details, business expenses and payments received from clients. There is also a great quotation feature built into the app that includes project management and time tracking. Generating an invoice from an existing project or quote only takes a click of a button (how awesome is this?!) and manual invoices can be added too. My favorite feature is the recurring invoices which get sent automatically and even allows me to set payment reminders for those that have not been marked as paid. Believe it or not, these reminders do work! ZipBooks also has great reporting features which shows you your total revenue for the past 12 months, an expense report, income per client, outstanding payments, tax and more. Oh, I forgot to mention, all of this is free! You can also accept payments via the internet but this isn't supported in my country yet. ZipBooks saves me loads hours every month and lots of paper (everything is backed up securely in the cloud), the app and its development/support team definitely add value to my life.

Oh yeah, there's also an iPhone app for when I'm on the move or need to generate a quote for a client immediately :-)

If you're looking for great bookkeeping software, this is it.

Pros

Recurring invoices, payment reminders, great support, iPhone app, quotation system, easy to use report features, integration with Slack.

Cons

Can only accept internet payments with American banks.

Alex V.
  • Industry: Design

Clean, powerful bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

ZipBooks is perfect for my small business, though they have options for expansion (payroll, etc.)

I have had no major complaints so far and I think the platform is a great option if you're new to bookkeeping or experienced and want an alternative to some of the other major competitors.

Pros

ZipBooks has a very clean interface. All the data is so clear. It's a fast platform and it's easy to navigate. All the backend is there too if you're an experienced bookkeeper looking for flexibility.

Cons

The mobile app has a few bugs that are very obvious. Incorrect account balances and poor sorting of time tracking 'jobs.' Some of these bugs have been ongoing since I signed up, and a few have been fixed. I hope they keep improving the app.

Zipbooks for personal/business accounting

Reviewed on 2019/02/20

I have used many other book keeping softwares during the past 5-6 years for my personal / business use. But Zip books is the easiest tool among all those solutions. Ease of use, Features, Mobile app view are some of the features that i like the most

Pros

Time Tracking and generate invoices for those times for a particulate project is once of the greatest feature that zip books has. Other than that it would be very cost efficient and also very easy for a business to use this solution for there book keeping. Support team is really quick and helpful on the support queries.

This is a all in one solution where you can handle accounts for multiple businesses easily.

Cons

Amount of restrictions that applied during the free tire is higher in count when this is compared with other solutions.

Tom H.
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Trial did not inspire a buy

Reviewed on 2019/11/19

None. We used it for a few months when shopping around for the right program, decided "this ain't it", and moved on.

Pros

I do like the user interface of Zipbooks. Some parts of it are certainly easier and more intuitive than QuickBooks, which we ended up going with in the end. The whole thing feels pretty streamlined. I also appreciated the customer support team. Even though I was just on a free trial I did get prompt assistance whenever I asked for it.

Cons

Overall, it just feels like an "also ran", watered down version of it's main competition - QuickBooks. I was only on the free version, so that may change when paying to unlock other features.

Furthermore, I hated that when I wanted to export my information to put it into QuickBooks, no such option was available to me. If I understand right there is no way to export data, which is ridiculous. It may be that I'm misremembering and it's just not possible to export without paying, which would also be a problem.