Lockbox LIMS Reviews

Lockbox LIMS

Configurable LIMS solution for lab technicians

5/5 (6 reviews)
Peter W.

Lockbox LIMS by Thirdwave: Great LIMS for multi-center NIH funded program projects.

Reviewed on 2019/07/15

We were trying to solve a communication and coordination between performance centers that are located in different US states, and countries around the world, that are work together as a consortium for NIH and EU funded projects and needed a way to track samples, as well as disseminate sample and project meta-data, and perform management of each program.

Pros

The first strength is the design of the lockbox schema, that covers most of the basic LIMS features required by any laboratory that may need GCLP or GMP level requirements, including database encryption, tracking of sample custody, protocol/SOP management, and implementation of electronic forms and data entry when implementing protocols.

A second and most important strength go this lies is the ability to customize what the LIMS tracks, and share information using collaborative portals, that enable multi-site communications and coordinate data entry and dissemination. Rules and design are configured in the lims using an easy to use desktop like interface, then the same rules are pushed to a portal through the force 'lightning interface'.

Finally, and what ultimately is responsible for all the functionality, is how the force API was leveraged to design a logically consistent set of LIMS applicable features that provide easy to use desktop like configuration tools so the end user organization.

Cons

There is nothing I really don't like about the software. However the underlying Force API is a very powerful and has many features, and it would have been useful to have shorter case/article documentation to provide more focused help for the Lockbox Lims application itself for administrator and end users. Since we had started using the Lims, Thirdwave had published a support portal with a searchable knowledge base that contains articles for the common administrative tasks for managing the Lockbox application, that provides specific guidance to setting up and managing Lockbox features.

Emma C.

This software has greatly simplified my job, and I am so grateful.

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

I love working with Lockbox LIMS. They are very responsive and extremely helpful. Their software has made my job so much easier and it has allowed me to spend more time focusing on other aspects of my job and get more work done rather than spending all of my time tracking down samples. I would highly recommend this software and company to anyone considering it.

Pros

The software is simple to use and there are many ways for you to complete the same task. Using other software in the past was so frustrating as you have to be exact and complete the tasks in the same manner. If you made an incorrect click nothing would work as expected. Whereas with Lockbox LIMS, the software is very user-friendly and logical, which is a major benefit to people in my profession. It has been so easy for us to incorporate this into our daily functioning to save us so much time and energy.

Cons

Due to the nearly limitless possibilities, it was difficult initially to figure out exactly what we needed. We had to go through several iterations in order to get to our current final product. We had become so fixed in using our spreadsheet based tracking that we initially created something that was not as useful as it could have been. However, after working with our primary contact at Third Wave on a regular basis we were able to develop something fantastic. She had many great ideas and based on her knowledge and experience we were able to greatly increase our productivity.

Jeremy D.

Excellent LIMS for CRO's

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

Our experiences with Lockbox have been nothing but positive. During the development process, we thought we had hit game-breaking roadblocks but they worked with us to resolve those issues and even passively improved the flow of some of our processes as we worked through those issues. In the 2+ years I have been working with the team at Lockbox, I have always had the feeling they truly care about our experience with their software and wanted our company to get the most out of their software in order to help us succeed.

Pros

The possibilities with Lockbox go on and on. What started as a desire to improve our inventory management has grown to incorporate most of the lab aspects of our business. It is very flexible and easy to use and customize. Customer service is top-notch and they are willing to listen to ideas for future improvements and customer needs. Also, being built on Salesforce, having access to the Salesforce AppExchange cannot be overlooked.

Cons

Initially, it was hard to wrap my head around how much the software could do if we wanted to use it to its maximum potential.

Jon H.

Great LIMS for Biotech Lab

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Overall, it has been a great experience. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

We like how user friendly it is. We were able to get up and running on Lockbox to track our samples and projects within a few days. The screens are very user friendly. If we have questions, they answer them quickly. The software has helped us keep track of our samples and project status. Before we were using Excel. We are a CRO and Lockbox make our projects (samples, results, reports) much more organized.

Cons

When we first started using the software 2 years ago, the box map feature was not as nice as it is now. Now it provides even better features to customize which fields can be displayed. We have been too busy to turn on the new feature, but wished we had been trained on it initially because it is a nice way to find samples in boxes.

Ryan C.

Lockbox LIMS for Drug Compound Lifecycle Management

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

We have been using Lockbox LIMS for over a year and a half at our therapeutics company to manage the lifecycle of our drug compounds and therapeutic programs, and we couldn't be happier. We use Lockbox to track all of our samples, including sample attributes, storage locations, and sample lineage (derived samples and aliquots). The sample and storage management modules are feature-rich, flexible, and easy to use. I was able to implement the system for our lab without any assistance from my IT department, which tells you how easy it is to install. The customer support has been excellent. I wholeheartedly recommend Lockbox to any research lab, QC lab, or other type of organization that needs a LIMS.

Pros

Ease of use and implementation, flexibility, customer service.

Cons

My only "con" so-to-speak for the software is that some of my colleagues never fully realized how powerful it was.

Sergio P.

Use of Lockbox as a LIMS sytem in BWh

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Pros

We have tried several LIMS systems, and Lockbox is by far the best one. Its simple, affordable, user-friendly, and have good graphic inter phase. We were able to pick it up from the beginning. Also, the customer support is amazing, they are always responisve and make follow ups on every query. The team is always implementing upgrades and finding ways to make us, the customers, happier.

Cons

Using salesforce is always a little of a learning curve, but as I said, we were able to pick it up really fast.