Stessa

Smart accounting software for landlords.

Nancy A.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Nope. Not gonna do it.

Reviewed on 2019/01/13

See above

Pros

None- I never got that far. Maybe it's good, but I won't give out sensitive into to a stranger

Cons

As a landlord with multiple properties, I thought this might be a handy tool, so I began the sign up process. Until they asked for my banking info. What?? What do they need that for? Not happening. I'm out.

Response from Stessa

Hi Nancy - Linking a bank account to Stessa is safe and completely optional, and this is clearly explained during the sign up process.

While secure bank connections are the most seamless way to automatically track rental property income and expenses, Stessa also allows users to create transactions manually or via data file uploads. For users who do choose to link accounts, Stessa uses technology similar to sites such as Mint and Personal Capital to link up with thousands of US based banks and credit unions.

In any event, we're sorry to hear that Stessa isn't for you and wish you luck finding an alternative that meets your needs.

Michael B.
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Infinite ROI

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

Eliminates the need for having a checking account for each investment

Pros

Fantastically organizes and maintains the ledgers on each of your RE investments. It's Quicken for real estate investors. Eliminates the need for having a checking account for each investment. At tax time, Stessa provides invaluable year-end reports. The ideal location to store relevant lease information - including a digital copy of the lease, move-in/out date, name of tenant, rent, market rent, etc...AND it's free!

Cons

Would like the ability to link outside banking accounts to get a better estimate of net worth. There's really nothing about the software that I dislike

William P.

Property Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

Holistic view of the property valuation and cash flow. Tracking expenses and providing required profit and loss for accounting.

Pros

Quick and ease setup.

Interface is designed for property managers - provides accounting and bookkeeping using the terms familiar to property managers and owners.

Easy to track the expenses and capture everything for expense allocation and audits.

Cons

A few additional features requested:
- historical view of the property instead of just point in time - enable leveraging for audits if needed
- enable capturing receipt before the transaction comes through the CC to Stessa - store the image until matching available
- integration w/ OWA from RentManager

Gwynne W.

Best rental management program I’ve found

Reviewed on 2019/02/11

I have looked for over 10 years for a program that would work for my husband and I to manage our own rental properties. We now own 15 long term and short term rentals and as much as I wanted to replace our customized excel spreadsheet, it still worked best for our needs after trying other programs specifically for investment properties or general accounting. I always gave up because it just didn’t quite work well enough. Stessa has been the only program that I have found that is easy, seamless and still tailored to every property we own. I can finally get rid of the old spreadsheet. I can’t wait for tax season next year where I have a full year of management with Stessa. It has made attaching receipts, invoices and cash flow so easy. I am so thankful and excited to have stumbled across this program. It works.

Pros

Ease of use, categories, seamless and it just works effortlessly

Cons

At the moment any slight potential tweak I find it seems the staff quickly tries to resolve and fix so that it works even better

Eduardo Z.
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Great tool for anyone serious about their real estate investments

Reviewed on 2019/01/16

Great product filling the void for small yet sophisticated investors to be able to track performance. Overall I'm very glad I found this product and plan to continue using it for future investments.

Pros

The interface is very easy to use and very powerful. Linking up the dedicated accounts to track expenses is a huge time saver for me. I can create professional statements and reports for my partners super easily.

Cons

I wish there was a more robust mobile app that was more than the expense inputs. Perhaps there will be one in the future.

Sean R.

Mint for Real Estate

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Moved from excel sheets to a completly automated tracking system online with Stessa. Basically an online accountant with minimal user input required. Ability to see problems, and access overall Real Estate Portfolio performance, as well as track expenses, taxes, and cashflow.

Pros

Dashboard look and feel, incorporation of multiple online data sources, tracking for cashflow, equity, taxes, etc.

Cons

Some connections to small banks not available yet.

David L.

No more spreadsheets - Stessa provides the financial tracking and reporting I need

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

Pros

They automatically import financial transactions from data sources you link. They provide the ability to track by property and category. The reporting at the end of year (for tax purposes) is simple and thorough. I can't believe it's free.

Cons

They are adding more functionality to improve the reporting. Right now, I get a good summary but, in the future, would like to get some recommendations such as: a) this is the best mortgage to pay off b) you should consider getting a home warranty for this property. I'm sure that will come as they develop.

I'd love to see Stessa integrate with other rental management companies like Avail, TenantCloud, Cozy, etc.

Dwayne S.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Software

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

It’s been great with every aspect

Pros

The software is perfect for my rental properties. The best I’ve used in 13 years of owning rentals

Cons

There is. Nothing that I do not like about this company

Rhett R.

Stessa for Real Estate Owners/Investors

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

Stessa is an intuitive software that streamlines information for real estate investors and owners.

Cons

The interface could be more aesthetically pleasing

Daniel G.

Really helpful for portfolio analysis and organization

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

This has helped me categorize and organize without me having to "reinvent the wheel" trying to set up a spreadsheet in line with the tax code.

Pros

This software takes all the input and then collates it and calculates it giving you an analysis of individual properties as well as the portfolio in general. It helps me as a newer investor to categorize my transactions which I suspect will be very helpful when it comes to tax season. I like the mileage tab as well as I was bad about recording my mileage and this tab serves as a reminder for me. I'm very excited to see how helpful and effective the software is when it comes to tax time!

Cons

So far I have no complaints at all about this software.

Todd D.

Amazing App For New Real Estate Investors

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

This has really helped me start organized as I start up our real estate investing portfolio.

Pros

I love the ease of use and ability to connect to my business checking account as well as my business credit card.

Cons

Inability to do split transactions and didn’t know how to pull reports until recently.

Cami B.

A must have software program for Landlords

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

Overall, I can not imagine my life without Stessa now. My partner and I currently have 9 rental properties with a goal to grow to 15 properties in the next year.

Pros

Stessa software is the easiest program to manage my rental properties I love that once I set up a property profile and connect my bank account that manages that specific property, Stessa automatically uploads my transactions and sends me a notice to review transactions. Then monthly I get an update about whether I had positive cash flow. I love this program and can easily move between seeing all of my properties collectively or individually if I need to drill down even deeper. This program is a no brainer for anyone owning or managing multiple properties.

Cons

This was a little confusing setting up the initial property details, but once I got used to where things were in the program and how to add the information it was alot more friendly for me.

Janea B.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Perfect for Investors just getting started

Reviewed on 2019/12/14

I just bought my second property. I’ve been tracking transactions on my first property for about a year and half now with Stessa. I’m in the process of setting up my second investment property now. It’s super easy for a beginner. The last thing I need to be worrying about is how to navigate accounting software. I need one place to store and track all the transactions on my real estate property. I know I can access them anytime and run a quick report for my accountant at the end of the year. It’s su0per easy to use this platform as a way to analyze whether or not a property is profitable by running a quick report. Looking forward to growing with Stessa as I add more properties to my portfolio!

Pros

This is super easy to use and set up. The software walks you through property set up one question at a time. You don’t have to know a lot about accounting or accounting software, but it is evident the software is setting up a structure for you to monitor and track the transactions of your real estate investment(s) and be able to pull financial reports at the end of the year for your accountant. I use it once a month. It takes me less than 5 minutes to enter the transactions and I’m done!

Cons

There are no options for assigning HOA fees in the “money going out” category. I lump them under the Management fees section. It would be nice to be able to categorize HOA fees in their own world.

Roger T.

Making life easier

Reviewed on 2019/06/10

Stessa has made the monitoring and managing of my multi-family rentals very easy. It gives you a nice snapshot of your properties performance at any time.

Pros

The software allows me to easily manage my multi-family rentals. Transactions can be automated and or easily entered manually.

Cons

I do not have any cons at the moment with this software.

Jeffery S.

Excellent Product and Customer Support

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Pros

This free software from Stessa works wonderfully for tracking expenses. When I had an issue, it was resolved immediately so customer service is top notch as well. Will definitely recommend Stessa to other investors.

Cons

There is no app for Stessa which makes it difficult to manage on the go.

Collin S.

So far so good!

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Just like the title suggests - so far so good. The customer support has been surprisingly quick and helpful. I had a few questions about future iterations and CSR was very quick to get back to me confirming that several suggestions would be available on the next release.

Pros

I am relatively new to using this tool and I appreciate the visibility that this tool offers me for my rental property(s) to look at different performance metrics.

It kind of reminds me a hybrid of Mint and Personal Capital for Rental Properties.

I see the potential of this tool platform and look forward to seeing where it goes!

Cons

I like how this tool allows for me to export different financial reports for different time periods, I just wish that it would give me all of the details of the summary data in the spreadsheet?

Also, the data exported is appears to be just text data? If I want to modify any of the tables, I can't because there are no formulas?

Luciano A.
  • Industry: Insurance

Very happy with it

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

Pros

Keeps all info in one place and easier to use and track than excel

Cons

Takes time to initially enter all data but worth it after you do it

Cesar A.

An actual valuable service

Reviewed on 2019/01/12

Very professional site and responsive / knowledgeable support staff
Refreshing!

Pros

Attractive, intuitive and usable service

Cons

Confusion about actual vs proforma expenses - needed to contact support

Bryan C.
  • Industry: Public Safety

Incredible value

Reviewed on 2021/02/13

Stessa makes tracking all aspects of owning rentals easy. Incredible

Pros

This platform nails real estate management basics and is ever evolving to include new useful features like tad preparation documents.

Cons

No cons! Great team and product! Continual development of new features. The dev team is open to customer requests and acts on feedback.

Nicole G.

Stellar Platform with Amazing Customer Service and Great Regular Content

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Phenomenal. I've working in management consulting implementing technology systems for years and know what a pain it can be to transition data to a new system - and this experience has been nothing short of awesome. I am thrilled not to be using my Excel pivot table reports or having to manipulate Xero, Wave, QBO, Netsuite, etc. to fit my needs as a real estate investor. Really, incredible strategic move on Stessa's part and we are thrilled end-users.

Pros

Ease of use, integration with current banking systems, and focus on real estate investors. I was planning to drastically manipulate Quickbooks to make it work like Stessa - Stessa basically eliminated all of that work AND has a gorgeous user interface compared to QBO or my rigid Excel sheets!

Cons

Some features are still in the works (e.g. they just implemented new functionality to demonstrate sale proceeds from a flip, and are working to integrate to reporting) - but that's it. Really, it is INCREDIBLY simple to use, and any time I've had a question I've gotten a detailed answer within 24 hours.

Heather O.

Best income property software on the market!

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

I submitted the 2018 reports to our accountant and he loved them. So much easier than the Excel spreadsheet and shoebox of receipts!

Pros

This software is easy to use and comprehensively tracks everything related to our rental properties. I especially love that each property is tracked separately and together in various reports.

Cons

It would be nice if a Rent Roll report was available, by property and by portfolio.

Deanna H.

Huge TIMESAVER!!

Reviewed on 2019/01/12

Positive, I have already recommended it to my colleagues. Customer Service getting back to me so quick. So I didn’t get overly frustrated and give up.

Pros

The customer service! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] always got back to me within 24 hours. Great n very patient w all my questions. Didn’t make me feel dumb. Taxes will be much easier this year. You’ve given my accountant hope and his sanity back, lol. Love the reports the app gives you from transactions info!!

Cons

Wish the transactions could show on my laptop. It would be much easier for setting up reports. With my vision getting worse as I get older, it’s hard to read the numbers. I have to enlarge the numbers to read it. A lot of scrolling.

Michael S.

Great solution to start with, added benefits keep growing

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Enables a snapshot view of the performance of my company that I didn't have in one place. Free solution and it's getting better every week.

Pros

It allowed me to get out of Excel manual entries for multiple properties for transaction reporting. The dashboards and added functionality such as better reporting, blogs, and downloads are a great plus. Owners respond directly to your questions. Great work!

Cons

I joined 2H of last year and the backlogged entries only went back a couple weeks (at the time). I had to manually enter all 1H transactions, which wasn't too bad. If I started near the beginning of the year it wouldn't have been an issue.

Miguel h M.

The easys way for handling my rental apartments

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

i came from a excell table , the experience with with stessa have been great in many ways, 2-3 hours a month. I only have 2 apartments , but now i planning to buy another.

Pros

The easy of easy and the tax packages is increible

Cons

Sometime i need to check the same expenses several time before came on automatic

Patrick B.

Stessa for the small business

Reviewed on 2019/05/04

Pros

The value you get out of the free version is immense. I have eliminated 4 or 5 spreadsheets with stessa. Would recommend 10/10

Cons

They are still working through some features that currently need a work around