Filestage

For teams to manage their content review process

William L.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

It's... mediocre at best.

Reviewed on 2017/11/14

Pros

On the bright side, it does do what it claims to do. Most of the time. When there aren't bugs. And they are constantly improving the app, so there's that.

Cons

But... it's buggy. Often we receive complaints from clients about a video not loading, or not playing back, or not being able to scrub through the video. Or even being redirected to the Filestage homepage without any errors. There are better alternatives, but you have to pay more for them.

Donvil C.
  • Industry: Media Production

LOVE FILESTAGE!!!

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

My team switched from frame.io to filestage.io for our review process. We primarily produce nonprofit, corporate, and commercial productions. Filestage was just much more robust for us at the time. I do understand that other platforms have emerged that and I hear frame.io has improved since we left, however, we just felt that it was simple and worked. There were some initial quirks we shared with the Filestage reps, and 1-by-1 we saw them resolved. One of the most recent ones is the template feature for projects which has SPED UP our project creation process A LOT! We thankfully are on a grandfathered plan where we pay much less than the current advertised cost, but even so I always felt it was a little more than I wanted to pay. Regardless, in our opinion, Filestage is the best we've used so far.

Pros

Support, Ease of use for clients and staff, Adaptability, Flexibility for file types, Options.

Cons

Cost is my only Con due to the size of budget projects I do, but might be a steal for someone else.

Ben C.
  • Industry: Design

Wish we'd implemented sooner!

Reviewed on 2020/08/05

Brilliant! Wish we had implemented sooner, clients prefer the visual approach and we have managed to reduce the number of revisions we have to work through.
Simply a much better review process than trying to email PDFs and collate feedback from multiple people.

Pros

No more misunderstandings or long emails to read through trying to understand the changes required. Really easy to use which makes onboarding clients quick and effortless.
Allowing our customers to add feedback directly to artwork has sped up our review process significantly, reducing our time in email and delivering projects quicker to our clients.
Our clients find the overview of which files are in review helpful to get a snapshot of where everything is and who's responsible for the next actions.
Being able to add comments to videos at the relevant time stamps makes giving video feedback a lot easier!

Cons

No negative points as yet, but still in early stages of using the software. Very positive experience so far!

Daniel W.

My customers love Filestage - so do I!

Reviewed on 2017/05/17

You save time in your post-production process and offer clients a great tool. Saves their time and yours!

Pros

- Easy interface
- Easy feedback
- Documentation
- Great customer service

Easy interface, especially for customers. My clients can provide me with detailed feedback on the spot. They just click into the video and write a comment. They don't need to send timecodes, need to make lists, write an email. Revision became much more efficient.
Once my customer reviewed my videos, pdf's etc. I get a notification and have an easy to do list.

It's possible to brand the software and fit it into your company.

You also have a clear documentation and approval from your customers, which can be handy when things get complicated at a later point.

Filestage is easy reachable and help with everything.

Cons

Features for sorting projects: The interface improved a lot since I started, but there are small things, for which I use workarounds.
Projects in the overview can't be sorted in an easy. I think it's only date and alpha-numerical. I rename my projects therefore with 00.. 01.. etc.
But the team is listening and I hope the will add this feature soon!

Response from Filestage

Thanks for the review!

Hannah E.

Filestage has been a great tool for removing roadblocks to get projects completed efficiently.

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Read my review!

Pros

We have a creative studio where we design and paint graphics, and Filestage has been a game-changer for getting projects from concept to the real world quickly, with very happy clients (and us). We usually start off with a draft document, send a link to the client, have the client comment directly on the draft with questions/feedback, and then we can respond and/or add a new draft, then repeat the whole process until everyone's happy. We like how easy it is to get a client to respond on Filestage, and that our clients aren't forced through a weird UI or made to sign up for the app themselves. We love not having to send giant PDFs through email or dropbox, and forcing document download after document download until you can't remember which version is the most recent or how many times you have the same document draft saved in your "downloads" folder. That said, you can still enable each Filestage doc to be downloadable, so if our clients do want to download files, we like that it's an option for them.

Cons

Clunky to use on mobile, an app would be great eventually, for even more on-the-go quick response ability. Price is a bit steep too, but you get a lot, so understandable.

Response from Filestage

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback!

Best,
The Filestage Team

Richard E.

Easy for anyone to use, well priced, and not limiting.

Reviewed on 2020/04/22

Customer servicer has been great when we needed it, which is hardly ever.

Pros

I like that not everyone in our organization has to be registered as a user and when we send something off to proof they can just click the link and open it without dealing with user names and passwords. We don't have to pay by the amount of users either.
The features are simple, we've had very little questions from users on how to use it.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any other than trying to get our campus used to doing things differently.

Vanessa W.

Very helpful and fun to use

Reviewed on 2019/07/13

Our first tool to give reviews to our creators was our intranet email. This was very stressful and unorganized. With filestage we had the opportunity to improve this project from zero to 100 in a short time. Now its much more organized, you can communicate well with your employees and tell exactly what u want to change. Thats it!

Pros

The tools to mark in the content of our creators and that you can have many projects of your organization in one place. And there are different options: For departments, projects, internal projects,... its so helpful to have them all in one place

Cons

there is really nothing I can tell. It improved our processes very well and there's nothing that I can tell right now

Lizzy M.

Filestage Helps to Move Our Projects Forward

Reviewed on 2020/04/22

Pros

I love how easy it is to upload, comment on, and share files. Filestage makes
project collaboration a breeze. I spend more time moving a project forward
vs. figuring out how to move it forward. Filestage does that for us.

Cons

Filestage meets our needs. I haven't encountered any features that are
missing.

Great for collaboration with students and colleagues

Reviewed on 2020/04/13

Pros

I use the software with students and colleagues. It is very easy to use, works like a swiss clock and allows me to give feedback much faster. My favourite feature: Annotate videos. Far better than writing emails or tickets.

Cons

Unfortunately, the project templates are only available in the Pro and Enterprise Version. Would love to use several templates for different projects with my students and colleagues.

Kason B.

Decreased Review Time for Videos & Websites

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

I have a website and video production company. The review process is now a snap. I simply send the filestage link - instruct the client to leave all the feedback on there, then we will execute all their reviews for a flat "revision" cost - since endless revisions are the least profitable part of the job.

Cons

I had a bit of trouble with the annotation feature early on. It turns out the google adblock plugin breaks some of the code so I just disabled it on filestage.io

Vivien D.
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used Other for 1+ year

filestage is the best and easiest way to get a feedback from your customers

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

I'm a freelance videographer and sometimes it's very stressfull to get all information you need from your customer. Filestage is a very helpfull tool to get feedback, because the customer can comment exactly the frame that needs to be changed. You also can upload new versions on the same file, so it is very clear to use.

Pros

- easy upload
- clear layout
- great comment tool
- very friendly support
- you can update your files to a newer version without any struggle

Cons

I have nothing to critize. I'm very happy with this tool :)

Max S.

It's a must!

Reviewed on 2021/01/25

Pros

Easy to use, friendly app/software where we can review and check our projects within the team and our clients.. and to spend less time!

Cons

I have no cons, it's what we needed and we will going to use it in every project.

Evan U.

FileStage has significantly improved our creative collaboration and our clients love it!

Reviewed on 2017/07/03

Pros

Simple collaboration made easy

Non-tech clients who love the experience

Ability to branded the platform

Cons

Completely white label with a custom subdomain (design.asimpleclean.agency) and for emails to come from our email addresses

David W.

I highly recommend to any Team handeling film projects over long-, or short distances.

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

a faster easier project work. we saved alot of time working on our project cause the feedback chain was quick to execute from anywhere.

Pros

Shared project work over any distance has never been so easy! Can't imagine any future projects without filestages assistance. Thanks! You can mark any spot in a frame and leave a comment. You may also draw scetches into frames to further illustrate corrections for your team mates.

Cons

didn't have any trouble yet. Filestage does exactly what it was made to do with excellence! Also has a friendly customer support.

Jaco V.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Superb Best review and collaboration product available!

Reviewed on 2016/11/14

The moment I signed up I knew I found something great! The interface is easy to understand and use. My recent clients were very impressed. Customer support is amazing! They're very quick to reply to emails and ready to help with anything! This product just boosted my way of communicating with clients to a whole new level. Totally worth your money!

Pros

The easy to use interface and quick response combined with great customer support.

Cons

Nothing everything is good

Response from Filestage

So happy that you find Filestage useful ;-) Thanks a lot for your great feedback!

Best wishes & happy reviewing,
The Filestage Team

Tomas M.
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Good solution for our needs

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

As many international media projects in our company started to appear, I think Filestage was the right choice for us. It is an easy-to-use online proofing software that helps us get our company and product videos reviewed and approved faster.

Pros

The user-friendly environment makes it easy to work with.

Cons

In the short time of using the software, I did not find any cons of it.

Boris P.
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

HORIZONT Review

Reviewed on 2021/03/29

I live it!!

Pros

Filestage kept rising our dynamic and efficiency of workflow creating Productpapers, factsheets, Presentations a.s.o. to a new level.

Cons

Sometimes the upgolding time for files lasts a bit to long.

Jenny T.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Makes reviewing creative easy

Reviewed on 2020/02/04

Overall I really like it - I would love for it to integrate with other project management tools I use like Basecamp.

Pros

Easy to mark up creative without having to download and upload so many PDFs - I can mark exactly where I want to see changes, and can clearly see how other reviewers have marked it up and if they have approved it.

Cons

It's easy to click into the wrong version and not realize there's a newer version that I should be reviewing instead - sometimes my notification emails come out of order, which causes this.

Sarah F.

So helpful!

Reviewed on 2020/08/19

Pros

Filestage has been invaluable for keeping track of internal and client revisions on design projects – especially being a freelance designer that's not in the office engaging with the team. Previously we'd been adding sticky notes to PDF files, but this was hard to keep track of. I love being able to keep track of the edits and mark off which ones have been completed. This is HUGE in keeping organized. It's also helpful to be able to reply to specific comments so that all of the communication on that one piece is together. The user interface is clean and easy to use. I like having the 2-panel view – with project on one side and comments on the other. Being able to sift through multi-page documents and easily see any remaining edits has made the revision process run so much more smoothly. I also love having the ability to hide resolved comments, so you can easily see your remaining tasks.

Cons

One suggestion: There was one instance where there were a couple of unresolved comments on version 1, but we needed time to figure them out and in the meantime we moved onto version 2. It would be nice if they were a way to transfer unresolved comments from one version over to the next version so that we can keep track of them as we move through the project phases.

Moritz S.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Filstage is easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/07/03

Pros

I liked the most, that our students marketing association could easily do the Corporate Design checks, which are necessary for us. The Design is very clear, which makes orientation in the application easy, too. Even without knowing similar software before, I knew after very few minutes, how to deal with it.

Cons

Sometimes I had the feeling, that some Comments on already uploaded Pictures weren't send as an email to the others, cause the notification on the right lower corner was missing sometimes.

Paul H.

We got hooked on filestage right with the first project. Using it for almost all correction...

Reviewed on 2017/07/18

Quick and clean corrections and voting rounds with the customers. Saving a lot of time, effort and nerve.

Pros

The simplicity of working with it - especially when giving the link of a file to a customer. There is no need for him to sign up, which makes it really easy to use.
Also, the usability and the user experience is great. Its actually fun to work with, even considering it is about something as tough as dealing with corrections of customers.
Everything is beeing kept clear and manageable.
We also love how we can handle nearly every kind of file.

Cons

It kinda reaches its limit when handling really big pdfs (more than 200 pages), since people are going to download the pdf and will make their comments there, instead of in filestage.

Maria M.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

I've been working remotely for 3 years and I've suffered from not having a tool to organise the review workflow. Now getting my worked reviewed takes less time and effort.

Pros

Easy to use, supports many file types, charged by active projects and not by file storage or number of files.

Cons

Sometimes it is a bit slow, specially for users that are force to use older browsers.

Mike E.

Great piece of software

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

Pros

The simplicity to use. We implemted the program mid-way an important assignment, and it was really easy to use from the start. Getting a workflow going was literally minutes work!

Cons

I would prefer it as a stand alone software version instead of SaaS

Ahmed B.

Great Reviewing and collaboration tool

Reviewed on 2017/01/26

Very straight forward clean interface, Great customer Support that listens to their customers and their needs, great value too, I highly recommend it.

Rick H.

Huge time saver

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

Great experience. Customer communication for approvals had never been easier

Pros

This is the best way we found to share, comment and get approvals from clients.

When the message arrives at the client it’s easy for them to open the project, comment and reject or approve. The training is baked into the client message.

Reminders keep our projects on schedule and we don’t have to chase people.

Cons

It’s fantastic for images or PDFs but web pages need screen capture then post for approval. It would be great if we could just enter URL and it scraped the page automatically. It’s a feature available in some of their competitors.