QuickBooks Enterprise Reviews

QuickBooks Enterprise

Enterprise accounting, FSM and inventory management solution

4.5/5 (14733 reviews)
Beverly W.

QUICKBOOKS IS AWESOME

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

My overall experience has been great I would definitely recommend this company to anyone.

Pros

Quick books has a very easy to understand app & website to manage all your business needs.I deal with a lot of truck drivers on a daily bases and Ifta tax tracking has always been a hassle,but not with quick books.They allow you to add mileage & fuel cost to better estimate quarterly taxes.You also received discounts on tax preparation software.

Cons

I honestly don’t have anything bad to say about quickbooks.The only thing I suggest is that they partner with more companies to offer customers discounts.

Response from Intuit

Great review, Beverly! Hearing how easy and helpful QuickBooks has been to you and your company is music to our ears. We'll continue to be there to assist with all of your mileage and cost tracking, and tax prep for years to come. For more info on ways we're working to provide even more features and functionality to you, we recommend checking out our Blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv

Cheers to continued success!

Lynn B.

Almost flawless functionality

Reviewed on 2019/09/09

My experience with Quickbooks has been great overall. Have had a few glitches now and again, but (knock wood) it's been working fine for years now. I like the ability to search by client, to print various reports for clients, taxes, etc., and to easily keep track of client retainers. I have not used this software for billing, so I can't really give an opinion. I tried it out, but didn't have the patience to figure it out with respect to legal billing.

Pros

Quickbooks serves its purpose for me very well as banking software. It keeps track of the checkbook and prints professional-looking checks. I also use it for bookkeeping purposes come tax season by printing out expense reports to see all of my potential tax deductions. It is also pretty good with searching for specific transactions. I do make sure my client name is in the memo field, otherwise I have had trouble searching with other fields (probably "user-error"). It is great for keeping track of client funds, which is essential as an attorney who collects retainers from clients. Reports are also required for client funds/retainers, and they are easy to prepare and print with Quickbooks. Reports are a little complicated because there are so many to choose from, but once you know which ones are actually useful, they are great.

Cons

Intuit has been very clear that they will no longer support my version of Quickbooks. I had no need to update otherwise, so I am working with a version that I can no longer get any assistance with if anything goes wrong. Also, the back-up data files do not sync with my cloud software for some reason, so there is always an error message in that regard on my cloud software (which I cannot get any help with because I have an outdated version). The search engine is workable, but I have learned to put the client's name in the memo field for every transaction so I know how to get an accurate list of transactions for a client.

Response from Intuit

Organization is key for any business, so it's great to know you've been able to keep track of your banking, bookkeeping, and tax aspects all in one space, Lynn! We appreciate you being a loyal member of the QuickBooks family and you can count on the software to help lighten your workload for years to come. If you do decide you'd like to update your account, this article is a great place to start (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/update-products/update-to-the-latest-release-of-quickbooks-desktop/01/203221). For additional resources and helpful advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members, we recommend checking out the Community (https://community.intuit.com/).

Thank you for review!

Anthony C.

A wonderful accounting tool for startups and growing businesses. Customer support is nothing to writ

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

It's a great accounting software, but charges and customer service could frustrate you

Pros

I like how QuickBooks has an aesthetic and user friendly interface that makes it relatively easy to navigate.
It drastically reduces the amount of work and time I have to expend on basic accounting operations. Its Integrated tools help me draft invoices, keep an eye on financial reports, track my business revenues, costs and expenses very easily.
With QuickBooks online, producing financial reports is a matter of just a few clicks as a user finds it easy to create sales receipts and estimates in minutes producing instant accounting reports.

Cons

Adding transactions from bank feeds can be very time-consuming because there's no functional flexible way of entering transactions from bank feeds. Sometimes I have to visit a transaction twice to get all the data and coding in the right order.
Another sticking point is that there’s no way for me to sync QuickBooks Online with QuickBooks Desktop or vice versa.
Intuit's lack or inadequacy of professional support is a big weakness. You often have to be on hold for a really long time before speaking with a support staff, and even after you do, sometimes they're unable to solve your problem.

Response from Intuit

Saving you time by providing the tools you need to get the job done is our number one goal, Anthony. We're thrilled to know this has been achieved for you! You can continue to rely on us for all of your invoicing, reporting, and revenue tracking needs. For more info on adding downloaded back transactions, we recommend this article (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/bank-feeds/download-match-and-categorize-your-bank-transactions-in/00/185637). As an alternative way to find the support you need, we invite you to browse our other Community articles. If you can find exactly what you're looking for, you can post your own unique questions and receive helpful advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members (https://community.intuit.com/).

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review.

6.0/10
Karen R.

Quickbooks: Perfect for small businesses; requires minimal accounting background; cost efficient

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

QuickBooks is perfect for a small business without extensive accounting knowledge to manage and track financial aspects of their business. With the online payroll tax reports available as well as year end W2's and 1099's, it is very easy to handle monthly, quarterly, and year end tax reporting with an affordable subscription . The con is that it is a "one size fits all" and does not offer enough ability to customize to a specific business.

Pros

QuickBooks is the most popular software on the market due to it's ease of use, and it's cost efficiency. A beginner with computer literacy and basic financial knowledge can set up a company and post transactions with little or no support assistance. Printing needed month end reports such as Profit & Loss Statements, Balance Sheets, Job Costs, etc. is simple and requires minimal steps to accomplish. With the online subscription, payroll is quick and easy including payroll tax reports. The ability to send our CPA a year end report for filing taxes is a major plus.

Cons

While QuickBooks is the easiest accounting software to use, I prefer more detailed accounting applications. I have in-depth accounting knowledge and would prefer to have a company specific design rather than a cookie cutter one size fits all. While I like the financial reports with QuickBooks, I really don't like the Payroll report designs. Previous accounting software that I used offered a much better layout for payroll reports which offered a quick view of employee wages and deductions. QB's report has too many wasted columns in the P/R report and it takes a lot of time for me to customize the report to the information that I want. There are also functions that are not available in QB such as easy posting of "cash advances" to employees which is something used frequently by the company I work with.

Response from Intuit

We love knowing you've been able to count on us for your reporting, tracking, and payroll needs, Karen! Providing the tools to make your job easier is our number one goal. For additional info on customizing reports, we recommend this article (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382). To stay in the know on how we're working to improve, we invite you to take a look at our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv).

Thanks for a great review!

Chris L.

Ideal for some, but quickly outgrown

Reviewed on 2016/08/29
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Ease of use, and very quick to learn. This version allows up to 10 concurrent users.

The audit trail and stock reports are very user friendly with plenty of filters. Expect a very quick turnaround training new staff and getting them up to speed, as the interface and functionality is hard not to grasp.

Customer service is located in North America. From my experience, after upgrading to the Enterprise version, our account manager usually responded to any inquiry within 24 hours. There is also a toll free line for any technical/database bug issues

In the Canadian version, plugging in to SQL server is the way to go in order to obtain custom reports.

Cons

The role centers, although a step up from the Premier version, "handcuff" users to certain roles. When it comes to the general ledger, the "all-or-nothing" functionality doesn't allow the controller to shut off access to certain parts of the financials. Ideally, the controller should be able to define a role center to allow posting/viewing in certain account groups and not to others.

Inability to approve and subsequently lock down POs and SOs. Once a PO/SO gets issued, a user with basic access can always change unit costs and quantities. This hinders the business' scaleability.

The Canadian version no longer allows the user to compress the data file in previous periods. This may be frustrating for companies who rely on lengthy journal entries, as the database file size will exponentially grow.

If you are a job shop (or project-based company), do not expect much in terms of job-cost reporting. The software is limited to populating a customer field when posting an expense. You will have to manually set up jobs as customers and instruct staff to classify expenses under the proper subgroup.

In my experience, the only real noticeable difference between enterprise and premier is the number of concurrent users (5 vs 10).

There is nothing that can replace QB. Believe me, I tried them all.

Reviewed on 2018/06/24

Pros

Everyone will tell you it takes a while to get used to, but once you do nothing can compare. The amount of data available to you from this program is just incredible. A basic understanding of bookkeeping is a must but a few online courses and some guidance from a decent accountant will have you on your way to a complete picture of how your business is running, good or bad. We use QB online and thought it doesn't have all the features of the desktop software, we prefer to not have all our data store on one computer in one location since we often travel for work for a month at a time. Also the customer service is by far some of the best i have ever experienced of a modern company. Everytime we did have a problem we would call they took our questions seriously with sincerity and personal responsibility to find the answers as if this were their personal problem. One time we were on the phone for 2 hours and not once did the person seem like he wanted to dismiss us and felt honestly puzzeled about the software glitch.

Cons

There are still a few programing glitches, a few more than I would like there to be. The bank account connections often go down but I have a feeling that has more to do with the banks than the software.

Response from Intuit

First things first, thank you so much for this incredible review! I'm overjoyed QB has done so much for you and your business. All this said, I want to ensure the software is working optimally, and have some info in mind that is widely known to clear up glitches.

To start, try clearing your browser cache. Temporary data, which typically helps pictures and text on frequented web-pages load faster, can cause performance issues in QuickBooks. To remove this info, please follow the directions at community.intuit.com/articles/1145697.

As for the bank connections, this article tackles fixes, as well as how to search for steps to resolve the most common error codes: community.intuit.com/articles/1145508.

This will have you squared away, and I'm wishing you continued success moving forward!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

William S.

Great Small Business Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

Our experience with QuickBooks has been excellent and we will continue to use the product for the foreseeable future.

Pros

QuickBooks has helped our company manage its finances since its inception. Our Bookkeeper recommended the product based on her previous experience with it. Quickbooks was easy to set up and easy to use and was productive from Day 1.

We use Quickbooks to track our expenses, manager our purchases, pay our bills and do our banking. The reports the software generates help keep us on top of our finances and alert us to issues and abnormalities so we can quickly address them. Our banking and credit card information automatically populates into Quickbooks reducing the time needed to enter this information manually while eliminating any data entry related errors. The product also integrates well with other financial management tools and has add-ons specific to our business.

I can't imagine running a small business without a tool Like Quickbooks, and I doubt we ever will.

Cons

The licensing can be a little complex, especially when multiple users need access to the product. We also have struggled a little with their customer support. Both of these may have been issues on our end due to lack of familiarity with the product or failure to read the documentation.

Response from Intuit

Hi William! It's an honor to have QuickBooks be a part of helping you manage your business from the start. Business owners like yourself are who we had in mind when designing our software to be a versatile tool to handle all your accounting needs. Whether you're running reports or categorizing bank transactions, you can count on QuickBooks to have your back. When it comes to managing licenses for multiple users, it can get a bit tricky. If you need assistance with that or have any other questions, we've made it a priority is to provide you with a variety of support options to ensure you're taken care of. In addition to phone support, you can also receive assistance via the channels below:

Twitter: @QBCares

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review and we look forward to working with you in the years to come!

Bulinda M.

Inexpensive To Account for every Dollar

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

My business is staying afloat because of QuickBooks and we can see our future being very profitable by using this software. I can do all summary reporting without having to do a hard copy by hand which takes a lot of time. The software has the key components of making sure all credits and debits are inserted into its proper place. The only errors are that of those we make and this software will not allow you to insert numbers if they do not add up. The accounting tools are fantastic and a very valuable insight in our business.

Pros

QuickBooks has been a very simplified way of managing and tracking our every dollar earned. I have utilized this software for over four years and it is very simplified. Our debits and credits are accounted for with each ledger that we handle. Our customers are happy with our business and that keeps us stress-free in all aspects of the business. Our business does not have to outsource any accounting to a bookkeeper or any one outside of the company.

Cons

I have as of today after four years of having this software can not find any cons. I really enjoy using QuickBooks and I teach the program to everyone that must keep quality control moving smoothly.

Response from Intuit

Thank you for the rave review, Bulinda! It's an honor to have QuickBooks be a part of ensuring the success of your business over the last four years. Our software wouldn't be what it is today without great customers like yourself who use and refer others to try it. It's our mission to continually work on new enhancements and features to make QuickBooks an even more versatile tool for you to use. To hear news on what our developers are working on, we recommend checking out our official blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv.

Thank you for being part of our QuickBooks family!

Tracy O.

The Small Business Software of Choice

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Since using QuickBooks vs. batch processing software, the time I have saved doing my work is exponential.

Pros

What I like most about the software is:
1. The flexibility of it in that there are several different ways to do the same task.
2. The drill down feature in the reporting that allows you to drill down from any report to the source document and also make changes to that document in real time, and update that report in real time without re-running anything.
3. Real time updating of the software vs. batch processing.
4. Ease of use, easy to train employees, super easy and clean to fix mistakes.
5. Value for the money
6. Makes payroll processing very easy.

Cons

Cons:
1. If you are not using the enterprise version, customer service is not good.
2. If you let a person who doesn't know what they are doing use it, they can mess it up really bad, pretty quickly.

Response from Intuit

Success stories like yours make our day, Tracy! It's wonderful to hear that QuickBooks is helping you save time and making it easier to handle your daily tasks. Whether you're running payroll or updating a report, you can count on our software to get the job done. Our priority is to provide you with a variety of support options so you can get quick answers to any questions you may have. In addition to phone support, you can also receive assistance via the channels below:

Twitter: @QBCares

We also recommend checking out this article for great resources you can use to help train your employees: (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1767637).

Thank you for the rave review and we wish you continued success!

Great Product for Small Business

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

overall quickbooks is a fantastic program with minimal learning curve especially if you are coming over from another program. the user interface is friendly and easy to use. the customer service is top notch and is always there to help you immediately and come to a resolution to get you back up and running 100%.

Pros

the best thing about this software is that it is easy for a small business to setup with customers, tax tables, A/P, A/R, inventory, invoicing, payroll and business taxes. it helps take the burden and guesswork out of paying taxes, employees and business expenses while maintaining the books and budgets. There is even utilities that are readily available to use to convert from another program to quickbooks to get you up and running much faster while retaining your previous data with a few tweaks. Customer service is the best there is. not once have i contacted them and not had my issue almost immediately resolved.

Cons

As always, the least liked thing about quickbooks is the updates. it seems that no matter what update it is or how new or old an installation is, there is always an issue with an update. whether it requires you to reset the update history and re-download the update and apply or completely boot all the users out of the system to make repairs and then reboot the system it is hosted on so that you can update the quickbooks system again and get everyone back into it to continue working.

Response from Intuit

Nothing makes us happier than hearing QuickBooks is helping you easily maintain your books and that you've been receiving the support you deserve. Whether you're running payroll or handling a budget, you can count on our software to back your business. With updates, there are many factors that go into getting them to install properly and sometimes having the software hosted on its own system can cause hiccups. Should you continue to have issues, please let us know and we'll investigate further. In addition to phone support, you can also receive assistance via the channels below:

Twitter: @QBCares

Thank you for the rave review and we wish you continued success!

Polly G.

Brilliant Accounting Software for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

Once you take your time to enter in all product, customer, supplier information etc you have a great tool to undertake your bookkeeping accurately and professionally. It's quick to be able to perform tasks, which in turn allows me more time to do what I do best. I have all the information I need to be able to analyse the performance of my business and instantly can make financial changes and decisions necessary to keep abreast of my competitors.

Pros

Easy step by step guides to setting up the software which is tailored to your company and the type of industry you work in. If you have an understanding of bookkeeping, then QB is very easy to navigate around. Data input is simple and it takes very little time to be able to produce your 1st, professional looking invoice batch and email to your customers. Expense recording is also very easy to understand. Bank reconciliation is very quick and integration with your own bank account is great. There are numerous reports which can be quickly adapted to suit your own requirements. On the whole a great all round accounting software package for a small to medium size business.

Cons

Would prefer to be able to purchase desk top software and not the pay monthly/yearly. Apart from a few tiny niggles, I would buy QB before any other accountancy software packages.

Response from Intuit

Success stories like yours make our day, Polly! QuickBooks was designed for business owners like yourself to make it easier to track your finances and focus on doing what you love. We're thrilled to hear you're enjoying the numerous features and we'll be sure to continually enhance our software so it grows with your business. To stay up to date on what's being worked on next, we recommend keeping an eye on our blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv.

Cheers to your continued success!

Naomi A.

Not for entry level

Reviewed on 2019/07/28

It has definitely helped our business stay in compliance. Most CPA’s use this software so it’s an easy way for them to access our information. It has not been an easy software to learn but it’s worth it once you do.

Pros

Once you tailor it to your business and get familiar with the features it can be helpful and stress free. Knowing I’m staying in compliance puts me at ease as well as having one spot I can go to to access all my info.

Cons

It is not user friendly. You can’t just purchase the software and try and “figure it out” on your own. I had to have training from my CPA and it has taken years to fully feel comfortable with it....and I STILL have questions! I also don’t like having to transfer the file back and forth with my cpa which means I have to wait on him to get anymore work done.

Response from Intuit

We appreciate you being a part of our QuickBooks family over the years, Naomi! It's wonderful to hear our software has helped you stay at ease by knowing you're in compliance and all your data is in one spot. At first it can be tough to figure out how to use all the features available and like you said, you can still have questions even when you're comfortable. If you ever need to know how to do something, we recommend checking out our Community page for self-help articles and discussions with your peers, as well as access to our support team: (https://community.intuit.com/quickbooks-desktop). Also, if you're not already, it may be easier to share your file with your CPA by using our Accountant File Transfer Service (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1760628). This allows you to continue working in your books and apply their changes when they're done.

We hope this information helps and wish you continued success!

7.0/10
Evan B.

Easy accounting software

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Pros

It does a lot while you do a little. I am able to send invoices, receive payment in different forms, do payroll, file tax forms and make payments as well as much more. It is very user friendly most of the time. I don't ever have any bugs. It let's me spend more time on other parts of my business.

Cons

They force you to purchase new software every three years. The customer support can be hit and miss.

Response from Intuit

Hi Evan! Business owners like yourself are who we had in mind when designing our software, so we're thrilled to hear that QuickBooks is handling your accounting needs. Whether you're running payroll or receiving payments, you can count on our software to get the job one. To keep our software up to date with the latest security measures and implement new/improved features, we periodically discontinue products. It's a balancing act between supporting older versions and creating new ones.

It's our priority to provide you with a variety of support options to ensure you're taken care of. In addition to phone support, you can also receive assistance via the channels below:

Twitter: @QBCares

Thank you for being part of our QuickBooks family and we wish you all the best!

Donna M.

Quickbooks Desktop Rview

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Overall QuickBooks has been easy to use for paying invoices, tracking expenses/income and completing employee payroll. I've been using QuickBooks for over 7 years. Please note that there is a big difference between QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online version. The online version is not user friendly at all. I would not recommend the online version.

Pros

QuickBooks Desktop is relatively easy to use. The payroll feature makes calculating and filing employee payroll and payroll taxes very easy. Paying invoices is also very easy and it records expenses in individual accounts that you set up. You can quickly and easily find invoices that have been paid and track year to date expenses. There are many reports available so you can easily see amounts spent in each category or where income is coming from. This is very useful when working on budgets. The software allows you to modify things according to what works best for you.

Cons

The annual fee is expensive and there is an extra fee for the payroll service. Also, the customer service is not very good. Occasionally I need to call in and get a customer service rep to correct a problem. Service is slow and it's hard to understand the reps as they all have accents. I try to use the self help section of QuickBooks before calling in to get assistance and I know it will take over an hour to get a problem fixed.

Response from Intuit

It's great to hear you're using all the features to the fullest, and it sounds like you're a pro, Donna. The Desktop and Online versions have slightly different work flows, but we're glad you found one to meet your unique business needs. For other ways to contact support, we recommend this Community article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Contact-the-QuickBooks-Desktop-Customer-Support-Team/td-p/252601

Thanks for your review!

7.0/10
Jonathan Z.

As a Satff Accountant this a great asset to have

Reviewed on 2019/06/09

This is great accounting software for all kinds of business, it has done wonders for our company and all the associates that work with it within the finance and accounting team. I would highly recommend it to small to medium-sized businesses.

Pros

Quickbooks is one of the best tools I've used for accounting, this is due to its very light platform and intuitive UI for you to navigate through and execute. Taking into consideration the fact that you need to have an accounting background, that doesn't take away the fact that this is an easy-to-use tool. Among my favorite features the one that I can point out the most, is the Vendo/Bills feature, which allows you to add all bill of the period into every vendor's account for you to generate you AP and Aging reports.

Cons

Among the cons, you could find this software to not be easy to break into, even tho it has a very light UI, you are required to have an accounting background for you to fully exploit this tool's full capabilities. Another thing you could find as a little bit of an issue, it the way it's mobile app works, as for it is not at full development quite yet, meaning you will find yourself capped on the thing you could do with the reporting features and journal entries.

Response from Intuit

Hearing an accountant describe QuickBooks as one of the best tools they've used is music to our ears, Jonathan. We strive to provide software that is accessible to users of all backgrounds and have some great resources to help learn the program. Should you or a coworker be interested in learning more about the features in the software, we invite you to check out our video tutorials. Here you can find over one hundred videos on topics from getting started to running reports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVxBmyedTVhTRQRYeZJfVBpz_12zwHc6Z

We appreciate the wonderful review!
David, The QuickBooks Team

Amber elizabeth M.

Discount Bookkeeper in your pocket

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

I've used quickbooks as the administrator for several small businesses. It's a powerful tool that can even be useful for forecasting so long as you keep up to date with it.

In my own freelance business, I've started to use Quickbooks Self Employed which is not currently as useful as the Quickbooks I've used for small businesses, but the cost per year reflects the lessened capacity it offers.

Pros

Not only does quickbooks make bookkeeping seem accessible to anyone with the slightest grasp of numbers, the apps make it easy to keep books up to date on the road.

It is only as useful as the the effort you put into the software. It's not exactly intuitive, but there are many resources to support you as you learn.

It's very easy to find a Quickbooks bookkeeper to work with that can support your business if it's not your speciality while making the transactions easy for both parties.

Specialty apps can add to the functionality of Quickbooks increasing the power of this software.

Cons

Because the detail pulled from the bank can sometimes be quite homogeneous, QBO will try to categorize "Wire" transactions or "checks" to the latest transaction payee. Creating rules to ignore the transactions is tedious and can be confusing to new users of the software that may not realize that its matching to previous transactions.

The new model of "tiering" users and how many functions they access seems a bit suspect to me, but so far, we have not reached any limits so I don't know how this will impact us, if at all.

Response from Intuit

Thanks so much for a detailed review, Amber! We're glad to hear you've been able to easily keep track of each aspect of your business, and other businesses you manage, all while on the go. You can count on us to be there for each business endeavor. We recommend this article that provides a detailed explanation of how to set up and use bank rules (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/banking-topics/how-to-set-and-use-banking-rules-for-downloaded-transactions/00/186468). Additionally, this link offers info about adding, deleting, and changing user access within the account (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/delete-users/add-delete-or-change-user-access/00/185920). You'll find a hyperlink in the same article that will take you to a list of different types of user roles.

Thanks for stopping by to leave a review!

Anna H.

Use QuickBooks to feel Empowered and Efficient while running your business

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

As an ASL Interpreter, I met many self-employed freelancers in my field. I was very apprehensive about transitioning from staff employment to self-employment. Luckily, I decided to try the Self-Employed option through Quickbooks. It's been a great experience. As a "first generation freelancer", I depend daily on the tracking tools that QuickBooks provides. Before, I faced daily anxieties about whether or not I was documenting my expenses and mileage correctly. Now, I track this information confidently with Quickbooks, and am able to spend more of my cognitive and emotional energy on my actual work and passions.

Pros

I mostly use the "QuickBooks:Self-Employed" features of this software. I love the versatility with the mileage tracker that allows me either to have trips automatically tracked or to add and delete trips on my own. Living in a metropolitan area, the mileage tracker will sometimes count rides on public transportation as a car ride. I'm easily able to delete that trip and also check on my transactions to make sure that the money spent on transportation is documented appropriately as business or personal.
One of my VERY favorite features are under the "Reports" section. I love the ability to get a preview of what kind of information I'll be sharing at tax time. I can download an excel spreadsheet that breaks down all of my Schedule C Transactions as a different page for each category (assets, meals, etc.). Before I started using Quickbooks, I didn't even know what most of these terms event meant! Now I'm able to work more freely and confidently as a "first generation freelancer".

Cons

When manually adding a trip to the mileage section, you are able to input the beginning address and the end address. However, QuickBooks does not have a feature that will calculate the miles between those addresses. As of now, I have to go back to my Google Maps app to see what the number of miles were. It makes the experience less fluid.

Tony T.

A reliable cloud software with great add-on options

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Overall QB Online made my reports easier, got me organized, and freed up a huge amount of time aggregating data when I switched to it from using simple excel spreadsheets.

Pros

I use the QBO online version. It is easy to login. Setup takes some time and with the help of my accountant to establish g/l's it was not too bad. Once setup it is very easy to allocate expenses and the add-on links to banks, credit cards, and my payroll system were very easy to setup. I love the fact that I can login from anywhere to do business. Customer service has been helpful when I got to them. I love the fact that I can fluidly switch between businesses as we have several LLCs and Corps.

Cons

The online version interaction with mobile devices is not as fluid as it should be. It can be quirky for viewing on my iPhone. Customer service wait times can sometimes be long.

Response from Intuit

Thanks a bunch for the review, and for letting us know about what improvements you've envisioned for the future of QuickBooks, Tony. I'd be more than glad to forward your comments about the mobile app to the Engineering Team, as we default to your suggestions as a means to power our innovations. you can even stay in the loop for what's to come next at our Blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv), so keep an eye out for the latest enhancements to be passed down the pipeline.

You're the best part of QuickBooks, so keep up the fantastic work!
Grant, The QuickBooks Team

Miguel F.

Tried & True - Quickbooks remains king!

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

The ability to track me financials allows me to identify my business's cash flow which is crucial to keeping my doors open. Automatic bank feeds are cutting down the time I need to spend doing manual data entry and gives me more time to focus on my main mission of my company.

Pros

The ease of use allows just about anyone to successfully navigate and work in the software. No matter if you have an accounting or financial background. This is great news for business owners and accounting personnel, alike. With the ease of use, the training resources provide by Inuit, and their extensive list of available Pro-Advisers, you will be up and running and tracking your business's finances in no time. One other aspect I like is the ability customize the software to git your industry or company's needs. Custom reports, customized chart of accounts, etc are just a few examples how QB sets the standard for small/medium size business accounting softwares.

Cons

The least favorable aspect of Quickbooks is the inability to prevent old transactions from back-posting into a closed period. For example, if I void a check or an invoice, I would like to be able to set an effective date of today and not the original date of the source document. Allowing this to happens, will throw off bank reconciliations, it would and could change past period financial statement information and could impact your tax liability as well.

Response from Intuit

Thank you for bring this to my attention, Miguel.

You can close your books for a period of time so that transactions aren't allowed to be posted before that time period.Here are the articles for the respective programs:

Online: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/How-do-I-close-the-prior-years-books-to-send-to-the-accountant/td-p/182283

Desktop:

If you ever have any questions about this, please reach out to us on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) or Twitter (@QBCares).

Grant, The QuickBooks Team

With QB, we know 'where we are heading'

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/04/15

QB has helped not only us but many thousands to know where we are heading in our business, thereby reach our corporate objectives and financial goals and survive in this competitive and challenging business environment by systematically managing resources.
Thanks, QB team for the great efforts you have taken and I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment to recommend QB to any small to medium scale user.

Pros

The best part in QB is that it doesn’t allow others to toy around when it comes to managing the ‘returns for your efforts’.
You don’t need to be an accounting professional to work with QB, but a little playing around with the software gives you a glimpse of the workings and gradually guide you through to become an expert in managing your financial matters yourself or even supervise a basic level staff member in handling your financial matters if it’s a small to average scale business. The passwords systems at various levels ensure the security and prevent manipulation of data by other fellow users. With long years of improvements and with the feedback of users of various levels and a variety of trades, QB has become the leader in this category.
QB has simplified most of the bookkeeping tasks in a diverse array of businesses be it services, trading, manufacturing or your personal accounts. It has gone beyond accounting software to function as an ERP in our manufacturing facility. It has become another machine in our plant with no complaints of overwork, no leave, no annual bonuses, and no work stoppages. If the accounts guy is away, I myself take his place with all other priorities. It’s so simple even for those who are not IT savvy.

Cons

whenever there are glitches, there are enough resources available in the community forums or the Intuit support team. Having said that, I wouldn’t say that QB is the only and perfect system, as there could be glitches during different applications, but with the help of the users, QB team can update the system for better performance for the benefit of all concerned.

John S.

A little clunky, but still the best accounting software on the market

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

The main benefit of quick books for my business is the ease of use for everyday bookkeeping tasks, and interfacing with our accountant for year and and quarterly filings. Also, it is such a standard software that it is easy to find new hires with quickbooks knowledge. Once your Quickbooks is set up to suit your business, keeping it up is really easy. It also saves on paper waste as documents and receipts and invoices can be scanned right into the software and the physical copies destroyed.

Pros

Quickbooks contains everything you could need for most organizations. The user interface is a bit difficult to navigate, and could use updating, but the funcionality is there. My favorite feature is being able to attached scans of documents or receipts right to a transaction. You can upload saved scans from your computer, or quickbooks will interface with a scanner to scan them directly into quickbooks, which is very handy. This cuts down on lots of paper in the office. Also, the accountant function is great for utilizing a 3rd party bookkeeper. You can send out a portion of the quickbooks file to your accountant to make changes, meanwhile still being able to use the software and update with new changes.

Cons

The interface takes a lot of getting used to. The usual keyboard shortcuts don't work in Quickbooks, and pulling reports is clunky, but functional in the end. There is so much functionality packed in that it is hard to navigate to simple things sometimes. Not all companies need inventory management and purchase order tracking, and complicated payroll features, but some of these functions are always turned on.

5.0/10
Sheri S.

Have been using QuickBooks for my small business for 16 years!

Reviewed on 2019/03/14

The benefits of using QuickBooks are that I stay organized by recording all of my sales, income and expenditures in real time as they happen which saves me in accounting expenses such as hiring this work out. Also...I liked QuickBooks so well for my small business that I use it to record all of my personal finances as well. I love the reports I have easy access to as well such as Profit and Loss statements that allow me to see quickly how my business is doing this year compared to previous years. I also love that I can track what I'm spending in customized categories that I've created. It also gives me tremendous insight into my sales, ie what is selling, what is not and how it compares to previous years. I highly recommend QuickBooks for not only keeping your finances straight but also for the reports that give you valuable insight into your business.

Pros

Once you familiarize yourself with the product it's easy to use. I have been using QuickBooks for 16 years for my small business for all of my daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bookkeeping needs. It saves me time and money on accounting expenses and allows me to stay organized. Because I handle all the day to day accounting needs thru QuickBooks I only have to pay my accountant to handle my yearly tax return. And because QuickBooks makes it easy to stay organized with income, sales and expenditures my accountant spends less time preparing my tax return which also saves me money.

Cons

That the Cloud version is a bit too pricey for my small business needs.

Response from QuickBooks France

Thank you for the excellent review, Sheri! I'm delighted QuickBooks is saving you time when managing your daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bookkeeping, and it's wonderful to know the program has been backing your small business for over 16 years.

I'm sure you're a pro by now, but if you ever need support, know the answers you seek are only a short search away on our Community website. I encourage you to explore this site when you have a moment to spare: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us

I'm thrilled QuickBooks has been able to help you with your financial records, regardless of them being personal or business-related. Thank you again for this excellent review, Sheri!

Warm regards,
Clay, The QuickBooks Team

So easy: Quickbooks Self-Employed

Reviewed on 2019/03/12

Overall, it’s a great program for self-employed people with fairly simple business practices... people who are service providers (massage therapists, counselors, interpreters, consultantsc etc). I had more complex businesses so am used to a bit more flexibility than QB Self-Employed offers, but they are mostly preferences than actual essentials (except the Chart of Accounts comment above). I recommend it to everyone!

Pros

MILEAGE TRACKING!!!
The software tracks your trips and you later pick business or personal for each trip. It shows you the address for both origina & destination, as well as time of day, which makes it easy to figure out what the trip was for. QB keeps an updated tally of your mileage deduction for tax purposes.

EASY CATEGORIZATION OF EXPENSES:
Automatically populates transactions from your bank AND credit card accountant into the ledger, so all you need to do is select which expense category it belongs t! Qb will ask if you want to set up a “rule” so that all transactions from AT&T (let’s say) are automatically categorized into utilities when they are imported from your financial institution.

INVOICES
Create a template and you can duplicate it later when billing the same person/business. You can easily send the invoice from the QB platform and what the client get s is a really professional, polished email with the invoice in the body of the email, and he receiver can download a pdf if they choose. QB keeps track of paid and unpaid invoices, making it easy to see who you need to follow up with for payment.

TAXES:
For tax purposes, the reports QB does make saving and tallying receipts a *ridiculous* practice. There is NO reason to ever do your books on excel. Too many mistakes when things are done manually. And it requires SO much time to input amounts, categories, etc. This is all done for you in a fraction of the time using QB Self-Employed.

Cons

CHART OF ACCOUNTS:
I switched which credit card I use as my business card and want to stop automatically importing transactions from the old credit card (which I am now using for personal expenses). You can’t turn off imports for a particular account without losing all former transactions associated with that card/account. This completely changes the Profit and Loss reports. I had to call customer service and they had to do a whole delete thing where now all transactions from deleted accounts are called “cash,” which is misleading and unclear.

INCOME:
There is only one income category to choose from. I have to classes of self-employed work I do that uses the same bank account and credit card. I’d like a way to assign Income A and Income B, so that when I look at my Profit & Loss reports, I can see at a glance how much I earned from type A kind of work and how much I earned from Type B.

EXPENSE CATEGORIES
There is no way to add or change the provided categories. I understand QuickBooks does this so that each category that is offered is automatically associated with a particular tax deduction item approved by the IRS, but it would be nice to be able to add a category that suits my business and select the associated IRS deduction category when setting it up.

INVOICES
You can’t make up your own invoice numbers. I would like use the same first 2 numbers or even letters for each client I invoice, but you can’t. You have to use QB’s automatic numbering system.

Michael S.

Solid accounting solution for small to medium businesses across multiple vertical segments

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

We use QuickBooks Enterprise for Non-Profits, which allows ODBC access into the data to provide access for external reporting capabilities from products like Crystal Reports. This can be a powerful feature depending on your reporting needs.

Pros

QuickBooks is easy to install and configure, includes many useful out of the box reports, easy to read visual indicators for things like receivables and payables, and an easy to configure and process payroll solution. We use the Intuit Enhanced Payroll subscription, which has significantly cut down on the labor involved in processing payroll. We can easily customize, memorize, and schedule reports to ensure our department heads are kept up to date on their budgets. We use the system to track our endowments, auxiliary cash accounts, and profit and loss for projects and individual organizational units. Over the past several versions they have greatly improved the shared company file feature, so managing multi-user access has become much easier and more robust.

Cons

Though Intuit recently introduced the ability to use multiple monitors with QuickBooks (a much overdue feature), they require that all monitors use the same scaling. It's not a huge deal, but a little inconvenient since I use a laptop and would prefer the built-in display panel on the laptop to be 125% and the two external monitors to be 100%. Also, the way they implement multi-monitor display is a little weird... the main app spans monitor screens, and sub-windows are drug from monitor to monitor within the main app's window. It would be much more user friendly if the sub-windows (such as the home screen, various reports, data entry windows, etc) can be moved around independently of the main app's window. This is how most other apps work and I believe how Windows was designed to handle multi-monitor use.

QuickBooks is my 1st choice for small and medium company!

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

I used QuickBooks a lot. In my current company, we use QuickBook for all consolidated entities in US and internationally. Experience is very positive. Our international locations are able to input monthly data into QuickBooks, timely for consolidation. Our US locations use QuickBooks with a lot of functionality. Reporting is very simple and logical for accountant. It is very easy to generate income statement and balance sheet, double click on any number and export details in Excel right away.

Pros

QuickBooks is very widely used and is extremely simple. It just follows accounting login without extra thinking and it is very convenient. You can extract basically anything into Excel in a few seconds. You can double click on any number in balance sheet or PL report and get full details of accounts and then, entries. As for small and medium businesses, it is definitely my 1st choice. Everyone knows QuickBooks. Accountants are hard to find. So, if you use QuickBooks, it is much easier to do recruitment as there are a lot of accountants who know QuickBooks pretty well. So, you can focus on other skills in your recruitment. This makes recruitment for accounting team less challenging. Moreover, QuickBooks is so simple and there is a lot of training provided. I also like QuickBooks customer support - responsive and simple way to address problems. I work for global company with US headquarters and multiple international locations. We use QuickBooks for all entities. I love consolidation function in QuickBooks when it access multiple QuickBooks entities (you just need to input password for each QuickBook company) and quickly generates income statement and balance sheet reports with each consolidated company next to each other. This makes consolidation easy and quick. Overall, QuickBooks is a great ERP!

Cons

When your business grows, it eventually outgrow QuickBooks and you need to implement new ERP, such as Oracle or SAP. I can't think of any other issues. QuickBooks is really a good ERP to start with. Also, many companies might not grow to that large corporations which need larger ERP. Also, QuickBooks does not have audit trial (necessary for public companies), but you can incorporate month-end closing password preventing people from modifying prior period records, after month is closed.

Response from Intuit Canada

Reviews like yours are why we do this as it's wonderful to read your comments about how QuickBooks has been easy for you to use and implements in your businesses, while still providing you detailed and logical insights from reports.

In regards to your cons, QuickBooks actually has a built-in audit trail report called the "Audit Log". If you'd like to see more about this report, please see the following article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/The-Audit-Log-What-it-is-how-to-use-it/m-p/186180

I hope this helps to clarify the Audit Log report. Thank you again for the lovely review and for being a long-time user of the program.

All the best,