Samsara

All-in-one fleet operations management platform

Michael N.
  • Industry: Food Production

Many advertised features do not work, Proof of Delivery integration has issues.

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

After spending over $20k in API design to facilitate routing and Proof of Delivery integration we find that Samsara has sold us a bill of goods that does not work and now I am stuck with it. You get a lot of lip service on how sorry they are for all the problems, but no solutions.
The first level support folks are very nice but have no ability to assist with complex issues, they refer the case to the next level support and that is when it just stops... no follow up and never any real time assistance.

Pros

The cameras and harsh event capture work good...sometimes.

Cons

Proof of Delivery integration in the driver app does not always capture the signed document, this creates huge issues for us and our drivers have to return to the sites and get a paper copy signed. Have had open support case for months and get no follow up. If you open a case in their system it gets ignored.
If they do reply at all, it will be days later and generally it is to ask for more screenshots from the driver app in the phones and dashboard...when you send them in, you get no follow up.
API integration is spotty at best, API support is non-existent.
Routing function is terrible and adjustments made to a route are not updated.
We were told how awesome the distracted driving worked and the website shows a driver looking at his phone and an alert showing up... that feature does not work for us.

Lisa L.
  • Industry: Utilities

Great Products, Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

I have touched may departments in Samsara and they always make you feel like they are your #1 customer. Response time is great and they quick to follow-up to make sure everything is to your satisfaction.

Pros

We are in the honeymoon stage with Samsara and so far everything is great. The implementation team was amazing and made sure the setup process was very easy. The dashboard of the program is great and the integration with my other favorite software is on point. It is the best integration I have seen so far.

Cons

It is a bit pricey but well worth the spend in my book. All it's missing, in my opinion, is a timesheet option for drivers and non-drivers and then I would be totally satisfied.

Brandon J.

Has Potential

Reviewed on 2020/10/26

There's so much potential with this company. I was extremely happy when I first signed up with them and had an excellent experience the first year and a half. It wasn't until I ran into my first issue and need help from customer service and accounting. My business is not valued at all. Another 1 until my contracts are finished and I will find another provider for my GPS and ELD services.

Pros

Very user friendly. Accurate and up to date latest information.

Cons

Absolute worst customer service I think I've ever dealt with in my professional 10 year career. You can not get a hold of them by phone. No matter how many voicemails you leave, no one ever returns your call. 2nd option is email. I don't know how many I've sent over the last few months to address one issue. No one responds or cares.

Response from Samsara

Hi Brandon, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us we always aim to put our customers first and are very sorry to hear this has been your experience. A manager from our Support team will be giving you a call so we can help address your concerns.

Jason D.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Best option that continues to improve

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

The product is great and many others are as well. The team behind it has been as impressive which puts them in the lead.

Pros

The setup and configuration options are very user friendly. The ability to share live links is very helpful. The Time on Site report is a great tool to share with shippers and consignees.

Cons

There were a few features that were missing in the beginning but have since been added so nothing comes to mind.

Ajneel R.

SAMSARA ELD, DASH CAM AND TRUCK TRACKING

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

I HAD SMALL ISSUES WITH DEVICE GOING OUT, IT WAS QUICKLY RESOLVED BY SAMSARA TEAM BY THEM SENDING ME ANOTHER ONE IN 2 DAYS.
I HAD ISSUES WITH THE WIRE THAT BROKE AND THEY REPLACED THE WIRE IN 2 DAY'S FREE OF CHARGE.
WHENEVER I CALL THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE TO HELP WHICH I LIKE. PHONE CALLS WORKS AND EMAILS WORK ALSO. THEIR PRODUCT IS A GOOD PRODUCT TO HAVE AND UTILIZE FOR A COMPANY WHO LIKES TO SEE REAL TIME TRACKING. AS FAR AS DASH CAM THIS IS THE BEST PRODUCT YOU COULD EVERY HAVE. OUR TRUCK WAS SIDE SWIPPED WITH A CAR AND THE CAR CALLED CHP TELLING THEM IT WAS OUR TRUCK WHO HIT IT. LUCKILY DASH CAM WAS THEIR AND BEING A WEEKEND I CAN REMOTE ACCESS IT FROM HOME AND SHOWED CHP WHAT REALLY HAPPENED THEY LET OUR TRUCK GO AND GAVE OTHER PEOPLE TICKET AND TOWED THEIR CAR.

Pros

EVERYTHING WORKS THE WAY IT SAYS IT WILL WORK.

Cons

SO FAR WITH ALL THE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PRODUCT THERE IS NO ISSUES

Ashley G.

Love it!

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Love that we made the switch and even my supervisor is starting to love it more and more everyday.

Pros

I love how much this program offers; it has helped us majorly weed out the not so loyal employees. The ELD portion is simple and easy to use and I don't have to fight the guys to use it for their logs. They just want to use it. I love the camera system as it has helped us out with false reports on reckless driving and gives us a little sense of comfort knowing that we have those backing us up 100%.

Cons

The only issue I have seemed to notice is where we live in Nebraska sometimes when the trucks are going out in the sandhills; sometimes the trucks don't quite connect all the way. So the live feed gets a little jumpy, but it still keeps it up to date as best as possible.

Charles A.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Cutting Edge Fleet Safety and Monitoring System

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

The company has been extremely responsive throughout our business relationship with them. They have done programming to make the software fit our unique business needs. Overall, the experience has been fantastic.

Pros

The equipment was extremely easy to install, and functioned well from the start. Video image quality is outstanding (and can be used to identify license plate information of adverse vehicles in a wide range of light conditions. Software uses artificial intelligence to identify risky driving behaviors (including rolling stops, cell phone use, distracted driving or drowsiness). The most useful feature is instant notifications by email or text when an alarm is triggered. GPS location displays are great, and access to video clips is outstanding.

Cons

We have had very few issues with the software, and are very happy overall. We had some minor issues on some older vehicles connecting to internal multiplex data, but these were quickly resolved.

John T.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Use of Samsara in the Transportation industry; Namely Limousine/Black car Service

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Overall Samsara software is a good product. The IT and Customer Service divisions are exceptional. Every person I have had to speak with or correspond through e-mail or live chat with has been professional, very helpful and the majority of the time has the answer or fix for any question or issue I have had. Additionally, they have done to in a timely manner.

Pros

*In no particular order*
1. Ability to accurately track company vehicles.
2. Ease and Speed of requesting Video Clips and the high quality images produced
3. Intelligent set up of user Dashboard
4. Ease and speed of requesting IT help through the "Chat" button
5. Ability to categorize driver and vehicles using "Tags"
6. Ease of making "Carrier Edits"
7. Ease of monitoring Driver HOS during shifts
8. Ability to toggle between map display options

Cons

*in not particular order*
1. No dedicated "Distraction" Alerts
2. When assigning a driver to a vehicle on the Dashboard in the Gateway Settings window, the system does not automatically begin logging "Drive" and "Duty" time. This function would be helpful when a driver neglects to log onto a vehicle and it would reduce the "Unassigned HOS" alerts and the need for an administrator to edit driver logs for this issue.
3. Missing a "Trip Replay" option for Dispatchers

Shannon D.

Sounds silly, but it is a game changer.

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

The system is a problem solver. Whether it is complaints about a buses timing, a missed stop, a "where is our bus", or a call about a speeding bus, we have immediate access to the information we need.
I recently had a driver lost...I was able to walk him through turn by turn how to get to his destination over our 2 way radio. It was amazing.

Pros

I think the ease of use is the best part of it all and then the real time access to all of our vehicles is fantastic. No more, "Our bus never came." I can easily look and see - yes it was a this time, the same as every other day. It also helps work with drivers who may be struggling that we did not realize were struggling.

Cons

I can honestly say nothing at this point. We under utilize the system now, but after an in person training, we are ready to get going (for real) - maybe I'll have a "least favorite", but not at this point in time.

Alex K.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

A+ for Team, product and overall ease of business!

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

I have been very happy with their service and product. My rep can be reached practically 24hrs a day. They are always ready to help.

Pros

The software and platform are both simple yet in depth. I can do as much or little as I want.

Cons

I have no cons to report at this time. We received the newest version of their two way cams.

Jim M.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

VERY Good system, could use a little more durability

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Overall, I am very happy with Samsara and would continue to recommend the system to others. They are very responsive and quick to help resolve any issue that do arise and it never feels like I have to "battle" to get a resolution.

Pros

The system is very easy to set up and use. The dashboard is very intuitive and and navigation is simple. The accuracy in which the system tracks the trucks is outstanding.

Cons

The durability in the hardware could use a little upgrade. They are great at swapping out defective units (or ones that go bad after a time) but it feels like we are doing this far too often in some of our trucks. Now we run a LOT of units and have over 60 units in various construction grade environments, but it still feel like we are replacing units too often.

Eric V.
  • Industry: Chemicals

So many options to handle your fleet

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

The experience has been great from start to finish. The only real complaint I have is the billing portion. At first we were getting several bills for each of the units and that has changed from to a more stream lined system, also talking with the billing department is really slow at times. I have had to reach out to my sales person just to get an answer from billing.

Pros

Almost everything about the software is great. Being able to keep our drivers accountable while protecting ourselves at the same time is something that gives you a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Reporting is a little tough at times, but it could also be I need to put more time into it also.

Loyd K.
  • Industry: Machinery

Always available to help whenever there's any questions

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

From the program as a whole we had some positive consideration from our insurance carrier and our accidents are down significantly YTD. We are considering the camera option.

Pros

The information that is available is great and I use it daily. I look at harsh events, the IFTA fuel report (for mileage reasons only) and publish a weekly safety report to management and our drivers.

Cons

Can be clumsy on the website navigating around the pages. It seem like you should be able to navigate from any point to the next without having to go back to the home screen.

Andrew j. S.
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Great product but could be better!

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

We own a medical transportation company with 30+ cars and with this product we can ensure our values; safe, reliable and friendly.

Pros

I love that it has two cameras, front and interior facing, that it connects to the control module of the car, that it alerts us when the driver is distracted or unsafe and that it records audio.

Cons

I think the sound quality is uneven and can be improved. The video retrieval process is very helpful but clumsy and needs to be improved.

Kimberly F.

Great Product & Service

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

Our experience has been very positive. Sales support is good, I can email or call our rep at any time. Technical support is second to none. The support staff tries to answer my questions while I'm on the phone. If this is not possible, they are always quick to call back with a solution or advise that it needs to be looked into further. They have also extended their hours recently. The product is easy to use and they are always making updates to make it even better.

Pros

Ease of use and that they are always looking at ways to improve functionality.

Cons

There is not an easy way to just add a note or remark to a status. Also there is not an easy way to set an alert for the temperature sensor..there are always 2 entries that have to be made.

Ryan B.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great product at first, but falls down after a few months

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

They are great to work with until you have issues. Once you have issues they ghost you and are impossible to contact. I would look at other ELD solutions and avoid this company and its software.

Pros

Seemed easy to use and during the trial period the sales support was very active and helpful. once we were past the trial period, support disappeared and functionality starting failing. Many bugs that cause inaccurate locations and routing. Dispatch functionality does not work or improve over time as promised. The hardware in the cab has already started to fail in less than 12 months. Document capture frequently fails without notice to the user.

Cons

Lack of user roles for dispatch. No ticketing module. Uses inferior wireless network so conectivity is spotty.

Brian L.

Great

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

The best option included is letting us know if something is wrong engine wise and other issue we get alerts on our phones and other devices letting us know the issues instead of our drivers trying to explain what they think might be wrong. Great option!!

Pros

User friendly, very easy to show others how to use it. Also was very easy to install into our buses.

Cons

The play back video doesn't last long. We are hoping their will be able to get play back video at least a month out.

Eddy A.

Great Product For Our Needs

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

I can see at a glance where our equipment is and when it moves, whereas before we had to rely on eyes in the field and calling around. Samsara solves this problem by taking out the human error. No more having to use post it notes and whiteboards!

Pros

I can track where our machines are on a daily basis. Being able to change the parameters on the dashboard and have more control over our fleet of equipment is very beneficial. I do not have to call around to see where a certain machine is.

Cons

I wish that the AG45 units were smaller in size. It would be great if your team could work on a smaller unit to have available for applications that require tracking such as equipment remote controls. we have 10 + crews that carry around remote controls for our walk behind compactors. These remotes are very expensive and can be lost or misplaced easily.

Mark D.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Never works when you need it to.

Reviewed on 2020/10/10

Horrible experience, completely cannot count on this product.

Pros

The product started off great, now anytime I have an incident it is never working.

Cons

Poor communication, too difficult to get anyone to help you, always blame issues on something else. Never works when I need it, I completely cannot depend on this product

Larry A.

Customer service is 2nd to none

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Live camera feeds. We used to have to wait to information, now it's all updated quickly via wifi

Pros

Ease of use, very intuitive. Working your way around the portal is very easy and setting up alerts and adding users. The maintenance alerts are very useful for keeping track of repairs and upcoming maintenance. The GEO fence setup is awesome and you can utilize actual areas rather than say a 100 mile radius which really does not work in the real world. I love the idle time reports and incident alerts for tracking speeding, idling and MPG. When configuring alerts I like the fact that there are many variables you can apply, it's not a canned response.

Cons

Some of the reports are still a work a progress, however the did give me access to the API to pull the data

Dylan C.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Best hardware and software on the market

All experiences I have with Samsara have been great

Pros

It gives me real time data on all company assets.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about the software

Zoran P.

Only ELD service I will ever use

Reviewed on 2018/04/12

Live tracking of my fleet, drivers drive instead of writing paper logs, instant insight of safety issues, geofencing.

Pros

Intuitive, fast learning curve, the possibility of editing logs, speed, the option of temporary line for tracking a vehicle which I can give out to brokers (nobody likes 4 AM check calls)

Cons

I would like to see integrated SMS texting within the app, other than that I have no issues whatsoever

Sharon Z.

Samsara ELD Review

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

It has been smooth, no major concerns.

Pros

It is easy to use. My drivers already used to it.

Cons

(1) Hard to reach support in odd hours. I wish you have 24X7 customer service as bus business runs 24X7.
(2) Drivers forgot to sign off duty a lot. I am wondering if there is a good way to remind them. For example, when the bus parked at parking lot without any activity for more than an hour.

Andrew M.

Reviewed on 2019/07/08

We love it over our previous software which was GPS only

Pros

The interface and ease of use. The data easy to review and see all of your data track trucks current and past performances.

Cons

It does not connect with our manifest generating software so when we add new customers we have to add it to both systems, it is a very manual process

Tammy T.

Good experience

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

Easy to use and get valuable information needed such as harsh braking. Very helpful to know where drivers are at all times when going to customers. Very helpful to be able to see how much driving time they have left when booking reloads. Customer service has been very quick in getting back to us when a problem arises. (which has only been a few times in the beginning).

Cons

Sometimes on two different screens it will have drivers at different locations. I guess it updated a little quicker on one computer. Once in a while it seems to freeze up and you have to sign out of it and then get back in (doesn't happen often enough to be a major problem).