ModMed

Cloud-based, specialty-specific EHR, PM and more solutions.

Gilbert

Reviewed on 2013/04/07

I am the owner/doctor of a solo ophthalmology practice and just opened a little over a year ago. I only have two staff members: a receptionist and a tech. I wanted to start off right away with an electronic health record system because I didn't have much storage space in my new office. I also wanted to qualify for Meaningful Use. I was looking for a cloud-based electronic health record (EHR) system because it would minimize the amount of computer equipment needed and be easily accessible. I also wanted a system that would utilize the iPad, if possible.

I started with a company that had a very nice layout that displayed all the examination findings in one screen, but there were several major problems (watch out for these when you are shopping):
The javascript-based interface accessed through a web-browser had many bugs.

The IT team was poor. It was based in another country, so there was a problem coordinating time zones. There was also poor communication among the teams within the company. It took them 5 months of trying to program a bridge between my EHR and practice management (PM) systems, and by that time, I was just sick of the run-around that they gave me.

I could not find the time to program all of my impression/diagnosis code/plan algorithms. The default ones they packaged for me were inadequate.

I really wanted to use an iPad for my EHR. Even if I could access this EHR with the iPad Safari browser, the user interface was really designed for clicking with a mouse and using a PC keyboard.

I finally went to paper charts for a few months while shopping around for other EHR systems. I randomly got a Google ad for Modernizing Medicine while writing my email and decided to check them out. When I clicked on their ad, they were advertising for their ophthalmology app, but had not released it yet. A few months later, I looked again, and found that they had just released their ophthalmology app and that they were Meaningful Use certified. I signed up with them a few weeks later and have been with them for the past 6 months. I was up and running just in time for the last attestation period for Meaningful Use for 2012 (October 2012).

The company has been great to work with. The EHR to PM system bridge was completed within a few weeks. The online training was great and timely (we fit the sessions within a month and this gave me time to spare for going online in time for October 2012). Customer service has also been wonderful. They are continually making improvements.

The system is easy to use, and it comes packaged with impressions/plans that is already great. The time-saving program that makes most accessible the most common impressions/plans that you choose is really time-saving. I also love how it is "customizable" on the fly. If you don't like one of the pre-programmed items, you change it and it is saved for the next patient with the same presentation.

I am most impressed with their native iPad app. To me, it is the biggest selling point of Modernizing Medicine. When I signed up with Modernizing Medicine, they were, as far as I knew, the only cloud-based EHR with a native iPad app. The only other company with a native iPad app was one which was apparently pretty expensive and also required me to purchase an in-house server (another huge expense).

As a note, if you are in the market for an EHR in which you can use an iPad, don't be tricked by other companies which claim that you can use the iPad to navigate their program. Most of them use a remote desktop program in which the iPad is essentially mirroring the screen from a separate Microsoft Windows computer in your office (a former colleague of mine was duped this way). It is slow, because you are running the EHR 'secondhand,' and the iPad touch interface was never made to navigate through Microsoft Windows. If you see an ad from another company that shows an iPad with a screenshot that looks like a Microsoft Windows window, be wary!

The iPad interface of Modernizing Medicine is very easy to use (and easy to learn) and saves me a lot of time. With my previous EHR, it was still inconvenient to lug around a laptop from room to room or from a room to a table surface to use the mouse and keyboard to fill out charts. With EMA (Modernizing Medicine), I can fill out charts while I walk from room to room between patients. Electronic prescriptions are sent right through the app. I have one iPad for myself, and one for my tech. My staff love the program.

One of my iPads has a cellular data plan activated - the benefit of this is that it can still operate if the Internet connection in your office is down. I also can take the iPad from hospital to hospital if I need to do an off-site consult.

I have given Modernizing Medicine 5 stars in three of the rating categories. I gave 4 stars for the product quality, only because I have encountered bugs even if it is a very high quality product. However, I have never encountered an EHR that does not have bugs (my colleagues all tell me that their EHR systems have bugs). In addition, Modernizing Medicine has been very proactive in addressing bugs and making improvements.

Erik
  • Industry: Medical Practice

EMA is the best ophthalmology EHR available.

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Our experience has been so excellent with both the EHR product itself as well as the Modernizing Medicine team that we have since adapted their practice management software as well. While using another practice management company we were able to directly contrast the customer support between the two companies...and there was no comparison. From implementation to troubleshooting, the support from Modernizing Medicine is far superior to anyone we have come across. The support team is reason enough to choose EMA over its competitors. Fortunately they also have a superior product to go with a great support team.
If you are considering an ophth EHR do not hesitate to go with Modernizing Medicine. You will not be disappointed. I have no financial incentive or other alternative motivation to promote this product. They have exceeded my expectations from the very beginning and I just really love this EHR!

Pros

The intuitive interface makes documentation far easier than any of the other systems we tested before choosing EMA. Even our more senior partners were able to adapt to this system coming from decades of paper charting only and without having to employ scribes.

Cons

We are ‘dead in the water’ on the very rare occasion that we loose internet connectivity. Currently there is no way to access prior patient records or testing since it is all stored on a cloud server. In 4 years of using this system we have only had this happen 2 or 3 times for a period of 1 hour to half a day. This has never been a problem with the EHR system itself but was either our internet service provider or once when there was an ‘attack’ on the amazon server system. Reverting back to paper at those times was a great way for us to realize how much we preferred documenting in EMA rather than paper!

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Good morning Dr. Niemi - Wow, thank you! We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and others considering our software. Thank you from the entire Modernizing Medicine team! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Charity
  • Industry: Medical Practice

The schedule is development's redheaded stepchild

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

EMA is robust, and the PM system has come a long way in the past few years. Medical documentation is vital (EMA), and the billing portion of the PM has understandably received more attention and more advancement than the scheduling portion. Hence my title.

Pros

Integration with Relatient for appointment confirmations

Cons

The list is long, but here are a few highlights: -Desperately need permissions granularity by user and by appt category (preference group). -When an account is inactivated users are still able to set appts. Not ok. Inactivating an account should disable it from a scheduling perspective. -As an administrator I'm spending way too much time changing the templating daily. The templating is simplistic and clunky as far as edits to existing template. Needs a delete option of "from today's date forward" and not just "delete all" or "delete this single one". -The schedule block feature should be granular; not all users should have that permission. I also need to be able to make recurring blocks, to be able to choose the date in the block window and not have to go to that date in order to block (which if you're in a week view is a PIA), and need to be able to choose a date range. -The schedule grid was not optimally designed for a multi-provider practice that wants to "view all providers here today". Each time I go to the schedule I have to reload every doc. Would like to be able to choose a default schedule that could be user preset that would load with some sort of default button, or at the very least have the system keep the memory sticky of the way I had it loaded when I left that screen. Way too many clicks right now. -Canceling appointments requires too many clicks. -Need a drag and drop feature from one provider's schedule to another.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Dear Charity - Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. I have personally shared this with our product teams here for review. Our support team will be reaching out directly to you to assist on several of the items noted. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Adam

EHR of the Future

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

We use the Modernizing Medicine EMA Orthopedic platform and are very happy to have found an EHR company that works with us and their other clients to make the system better for all. I also like the fact that each of the other EHR domains (ex. Derm, gastro, etc.) work together re utilizing tools already developed/solved for other domains instead of always having to design items from scratch, this dramatically improves the time from a "client system request" to "included in a release".

If you are in the market for an EHR, I would suggest you take a serious look at the EMA platform from Modernizing Medicine and then decide if the system is right for your practice. Modernizing Medicine is a great company to work with in solving your clinical workflow challenges.

Pros

Excellent technical support staff and training staff. The ModMed Programming team is constantly coming out with updates and additional needed/requested functionality. They are always open to listen and understand the problems faced by our clinical staff and providers in order to design, develop, and implement solutions to our problems. The staff from Modernizing Medicine is always delightful to deal with and they are fully supportive of delivering the best experience and easing documentation burden around the clinical visit compared to other EHRs

Cons

The system is designed around the physician workflow and smaller office staff, this system is not as user friendly for office staff not involved with the clinical visit when you get into a large, busy clinic. Many of the administrative features found in the larger client base systems are not found in this one. They are making progress on all of the above with each and every update!

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Dear Adam - We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and others considering our software. We value the relationship we have with you and the entire MSK team. - Tara W., VP of Orthopedics & Pain Management

Brian

Reviewed on 2013/06/26

I am in a 2 person general dermatology and Mohs surgery practice. I was using a paper chart system prior to switching to EMA in 2011, and now have almost 12000 visits documented in EMA.

I always thought that when I left the military and entered private practice 16 years ago, I would adopt an EHR system very soon. I quickly realized that it was not easy to find a system out there that could match the efficiency of the single page progress note with anatomical figures that my practice like many others had been using for years.

I set a goal to find an EHR system that would make me more efficient, but still allow the convenience of documenting the visit on an anatomical figure like most dermatologists have done for years. I also wanted to be more accurate and complete with my documentation, and preferably be more productive. Finally, I wanted a system that would allow me to maximize face time with the patient and minimize the drudgery of all the paper work associated with patient care.

When I started evaluating EHR systems at different dermatology meetings in 2010 and 2011, I did not see a single system that met any of those goals. Then I stumbled upon the Modernizing Medicine booth at the AAD meeting In New Orleans. There was definitely a lot of interest in the product and I was immediately impressed. Finally, a system that appeared to be designed by a dermatologist with all my goals in mind.

I have to admit the implementation was not as easy as I expected. The product was relatively new at the time we began and far from perfect, but it has improved by leaps and bounds - and Modernizing Medicine continues to find ways to improve it regularly. Most of my staff has learned to use EMA very quickly, and brand new employees seem to adapt to EMA faster than they do to a paper chart. I estimate it took 6 months to be reasonably comfortable with the system, but with the improvements made in the program now, I suspect that time could be even less for a new user.

The coding feature of the program is I think one of its greatest strengths. I learned more about accurate coding in the first 6 months of using EMA than I had in 15 years of manual coding. The coding feature has not only shown me many areas where I was previously under coding, but has also highlighted visits where I previously may have lacked documentation to justify a code.

I always take clinical photos of biopsy sites to help me prepare for future surgery. This program does an excellent job of assigning the photo to the patient's visit with a label almost effortlessly. Filling out a pathology request and all the specimen jar labels use to be a pain in the neck with a paper chart. Now, all the pertinent information is collected from the note and in a few clicks the request and labels are done. Not a single call back from the path lab because they cannot read the path request form since we started EMA.

The ultimate goal of an excellent EHR system should be to make us a better doctor by allowing us to spend more time thinking about what is actually wrong with the patient, and to provide us tools to arrive at a diagnosis and treatment more accurately. With the ease of documentation and addition of some of the new features such as VisualDx, EMA is very close to achieving that ultimate goal for me.

Cynthia
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Issues with this rapidly growing company

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

I truly am happy with the back office EMR but wish I would have asked around about their PM and appointment reminder systems. These 2 areas need a lot of work and unfortunately the company is not good at client relations. I feel they are not up to the average standard for comparable products in appointment reminders and PM.

Pros

It has a great user friendly back office EMR system.

Cons

Their PM service is not good at all. It takes my receptionists and office manager twice the time to input a patient, schedule an appointment, move an appointment, and run routine reports than our previous software.
Also, the patient reminder system ( Relatient) is awful. It does not connect in real time to the practice schedule and requires extra work to find out if a patient has cancelled an appointment. This means loss of revenue for the practice. The reminder system is also very redundant and I have had numerous patient complaints over it. The managers in this patient reminder system know there are numerous issues with it but are not allowed to do anything until ModMed approves it which can take weeks. Lastly, even if you want to get out of this portion of the contract, ModMed will not let you. You are forced to pay for it for the full 3 year opt in time even if you no longer use it.

Samuel
  • Industry: Medical Practice

EMA is great, customer service is bad

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

My overall experience has been bad because I had a bad implementation of new features (PM lite) followed by enforcement of a contract that extended my end date with them even though we cancelled the PM lite. They could have just reverted to my old contract after cancelling the PM lite implementation and I would have been happy.

Pros

user friendly emr system which saved time in clinic

Cons

The software for EMR called EMA is good and user friendly, saves time in clinic. Implementing new features is a nightmare of discovery calls, introductory calls, unusually long timelines for deploying new services. The customer service is terrible which is surprising considering it is priced at a premium level.

Nextech EHR & PM, DrChrono and Practice Fusion

Reasons for Switching to ModMed

Seemed to have the best EMR system
Barry
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Very happy otolaryngology practice!

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Mod Med was on our short list of four vendors for evaluation. Two were specialty specific, two were general. 1.5 years into our installation, we are SO GLAD that we selected this system and strategic vendor partner.

Pros

Doctors love the iPad device. We absorbed staff attrition because of system efficiencies, now doing the same clinical work with less staff. Practice Management has been a pleasant surprise. We now collect 10% better than with our previous system because of integrated clearing house and point-of-sale merchant services devices.

Cons

Mod Med is a dynamic company and constantly updating the products. We love that! The frequent updates requires you to keep up with release notes (we don't mind this) and sometimes a new release breaks old features (we don't appreciate this). There's still room for better alpha/beta testing. Additionally, Mod Med needs to enhance ancillary service features (audiology, allergy). We know those changes are on the road map, but we need them.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Good morning Barry - Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a detailed review with us and other considering our ENT EHR system. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Bart

Great EHR maybe WORST customer service in history

Reviewed on 2023/09/06

Absolutely awful and they will not even respond to their complete incompetent billing practices .

Pros

EHR is documentation great. Ipad interface is good

Cons

The customer service is zero. We had requested providers and services be removed, over the years. Every time they continue to bill you for those things you requested removed. We even sold the company, transferred account and continue to be billed. They are non responsive, and simply do not care at all about your business once you start with them.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

We always aim to deliver a great experience and are sorry to hear in this situation we missed the mark. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

David

ModMed

Reviewed on 2023/11/18

Pros

Able to use on IPAD which allows me more flexibility in entering data

Cons

Difficult to transition to desktop web version of EMR

Response from Modernizing Medicine

We value your feedback, David! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

betsy

Evaluation of Modmed EMA

Helps with MIPS.

Helps with MIPS.
I dont think there should be a charge for users to attend a yearly conference to learn more about the system they are paying handsomely for

Pros

It is capable of producing a comprehensive clear note. The ability to access pictures and notes is good .

Cons

It requires technical skills that have outstripped our dedicated older workers capabilities. We have to have younger tech savvy assistants do much of the work including path logs and notes. The notes are too long and the assistants have to spend their time with i-pads in hand instead of physically helping the patients and providers. Our overhead has skyrocketed with more personnel and the increased costs to EMA. We have spent many long hours implementing and training with this system and the charges just keep coming

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Good morning Dr. Beers -

We appreciate you sharing your honest feedback with us and have passed along your concerns. modmed Central is a great resource for helpful videos, product updates, etc., and our support team (https://www.modmed.com/support/) is always happy to assist you and your staff. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Audrey
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Finally a specialty EMR done right!

Reviewed on 2017/09/01

Overall excellent software. It might cost more than some of the others but I believe it is worth it and should allow you to see more patients, therefore bring more money in, in the end. I came from working in a derm office using this platform and am now in Plastics and am desperately trying to convert my new practice to EMA Plastics.

Pros

They clearly listen to providers and are constantly making changes to improve their system. It comes with built in counseling, patient education, diagnosis codes, it codes all your office visits/procedures for you, keeps track of global periods, allows before and after image comparison (which is huge for stubborn acne teens), it is user friendly, works across desktops, ipads, iphones, the through the use of protocols, it can make charting go extremely fast!

Cons

There is always room for improvement but overall I can't really say anything that stands out for negatives. It would be nice if some of the standardized features like patient history, patient portal had some customizable features or the ability to rearrange topics for personal workflow, but it's nothing major.

James

Overall great system that only misses on minor features

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

EMA has allowed us to cut down on the time that our providers spend entering notes by orders of magnitude over other systems we have tried.

Pros

Ease of use and functionality. It is only missing a few small features that I think would make things easier. There is no way, for example, for a manager to get ability to view all tasks assigned to all staff members. Only the assigner and assignee can see the task.
Additionally, the system does not incorporate "." phrase programming for frequently used phrases.

Cons

It is expensive. Full licenses are relatively high priced and pricing faxing per fax sent puts that feature out of range for most busy practices, including ours.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Good morning James - Thank you so much for taking the time share your feedback with us and those considering our urology EHR. We will pass along your suggestions as well to our team here. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

LINDA

amazing work flow , MIPS usage extremely easy, good customer support

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

clear and accurate data to complete a visit with a patient in a timely manner. EMA integrates with our Billing software and make workflow easy daily for staff. The clicks of the system are minimal. From previous EMR's there is no comparison to the function of EMA. Good job to the developers and the continued software updates to improve functionality of the program.

Pros

Easy work flow and customer service is fabulous. The program allows easy usage of patients visit information and population of MIPS requirements. Pathology reports, consents and much more is very organized and minimal clicks to function.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Good morning, Linda - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review and feedback. We will certainly pass this along to our teams as we love sharing our clients' success stories. We're glad to have you as part of the Modernizing Medicine family!
-Alex B., Marketing at Modernizing Medicine

Jennifer

Great product

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

Overall, they are pretty reliable and their system works really well with our PM system, so win win all around.

Pros

EMA is a great, they keep you informed and are always up to date with all new and important information that pertains to your practice. They are always putting webinars out there so many options for training and knowledge issues.

Cons

When a problem arises, sometimes you cannot reach someone directly and leaving an email is not always convenient. The response is too delayed and very frustrating.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Dear Jennifer - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and others considering our EHR system, EMA. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Caryn

Good Experience

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Pros

good interface, works well for specialties- dermatology/orthopedics/ophthalmology, very detailed, easy to use,

Cons

does not interface super easily with payment system, have to click around a lot to get to where you want

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Thank you Caryn for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and others considering our product. We would recommend taking advantage of the feature release webinars which are posted on modmed® Central. They include a wealth of information that can help users become more efficient. Topics range from ePrescribing, to the Virtual Exam Room and updates to Previous Findings just to name a few.

If you ever need additional assistance, our support team can help as well! You can reach out to them at 561.880.2998 x2 or [email protected]. Have a great week!

-Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Loyd

Great EMR

Reviewed on 2018/12/30

Overall it is great. Best on market for derm. I am very happy and think it is the best by far for derm.

Pros

Very easy to use. Based on an iPad. Very intuitive. Staff likes using it also. Updates are say to get.

Cons

Can get pricey. They should not charge for pathology reports but do. Should give more discounts for multiple users.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us and those considering our EHR software. It's greatly appreciated! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Sandra

EMA EHR Feedback

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

being able to run our quality measures and provide this information to other companies we do business with is very helpful.

Pros

It is easy to use and give great notes for challenging claims denied.

Cons

Sometimes when updates happen new problems occur and take time to resolve

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Good morning Sandy - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and those considering using our EHR and Practice Management systems and MIPS Advisory Services. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

MARY

Very user friendly

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Extremely state of the art as opposed to our previous software. I love it!

Extremely state of the art as opposed to our previous software. I love it!

Pros

Appointment scheduler is wonderful and very easy to follow as well as the appointment finder when scheduling an appointment.

Cons

Takes to many steps and clicks to post insurance checks that come in the mail. Should be able to auto allocate.

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Hi Mary - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and others considering our software. Glad you have found the Appointment Scheduler beneficial!

Jessica

Pros and Cons

Reviewed on 2021/06/24

Overall, Mod Med doesn't work great for the cosmetic side of our practice. Derm has had better results, but it is not well designed for cosmetic patients that pay at their visit.

Pros

There are many things I like- it is very intuitive and easy to use, and when you do get stuck, there is a help button that actually works pretty well.

Cons

My least favorite thing is how clunky it is. It takes way too many steps to complete any simple task. It doesn't save your place either, so you often have to start all over when jumping around from place to place in the software.

Priscilla

So easy to use!

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

Everything it’s so efficient and constantly being improved. I will think of a way to improve something I submit a ticket and then it’s there!!!!

Cons

When there is a glitch and the wait period for the resolution, it’s not usually long but waiting is so hard!

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Thank you so much for sharing your experience in using our EHR system, EMA. We're glad you find the system easy to use.

John

Reviewed on 2013/07/27

We are a busy two doc/two esthetician medical and cosmetic derm practice that offers the complete scope of derm services, plus dozens of cosmetic treatments. We switched from our old system to EMA in December 2011, as it clearly was more sophisticated. With the prior system, the doctors had to be word processors, having to free text into notes. Reviewing prior notes/diagnoses was tedious, and no easier than flipping through a paper chart. We launched EMA just before Christmas 2011, after our team completed weekly webinars with a trainer and did homework on the aspects of the software unique to their positions. The implementation was fairly smooth; we had issues with the interface in Advanced MD (billing/scheduling software) that cannot be completely attributed to either company; and the users stumbled on various issues, however, support (voice calls or emails) was very responsive and attentive.

Early in 2012 there were issues with crashes of the cloud servers, resulting in no chart access for minutes (rarely hours) at a time. The company was quite response, and since changing from the cloud hosting, we've had stable access to the software for nearly a year.

We love EMA. Its easy to use, intuitive, and robust; support is excellent, the company is responsive, and constantly improving the software. It saves us time and improves the quality of our care, hence we are more productive and profitable. The built in PT education features (handout and vDX links) are incredibly helpful.
There is no better derm software in my opinion!

Kenneth

3 years of almost daily use with patients

Reviewed on 2017/11/14

Pros

EASY TO LEARN, LOCATION BASED SOFTWARE MESHES EASILY WITH ICD 10, TOUCH ANATOMICAL LOCATION TO APPRAISE CODING SOFTWARE OF WHERE TO CODE FOR.

Cons

MONTHLY COST A LITTLE HIGH, NO REDUCED COST PLAN FOR PART TIME DOCTORS, A LITTLE SLOW DOWNLOADING LARGER FILES SCANNED IN FROM PAPER NOTES

Lisa

Love EMA!

great photos
MIPS

great photos
MIPS

Pros

I like ease of use and ability to customize

Cons

I don't like fees for outbound faxing - so I just fax less

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Thank you so much Dr. Christman for sharing your positive feedback with us and others considering our dermatology EHR, EMA. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Gib

GREAT product!

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

Best of bread

Best of bread

Pros

Support
Feature rich updates monthly
Genuinely research needs to add to the product
Onboarding and training

Cons

Interfacing
Managing provider custom fields

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Hi Gib - We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our EHR system, EMA, and glad you've had a positive experience at your practice.