Modernizing Medicine

Specialty-specific Healthcare IT Suite - EHR, PM, Analytics

Gilbert W.

Reviewed on 2013/04/07

I am the owner/doctor of a solo ophthalmology practice and just opened a little over a year ago. I only have two staff members: a receptionist and a tech. I wanted to start off right away with an electronic health record system because I didn't have much storage space in my new office. I also wanted to qualify for Meaningful Use. I was looking for a cloud-based electronic health record (EHR) system because it would minimize the amount of computer equipment needed and be easily accessible. I also wanted a system that would utilize the iPad, if possible.

I started with a company that had a very nice layout that displayed all the examination findings in one screen, but there were several major problems (watch out for these when you are shopping):
The javascript-based interface accessed through a web-browser had many bugs.

The IT team was poor. It was based in another country, so there was a problem coordinating time zones. There was also poor communication among the teams within the company. It took them 5 months of trying to program a bridge between my EHR and practice management (PM) systems, and by that time, I was just sick of the run-around that they gave me.

I could not find the time to program all of my impression/diagnosis code/plan algorithms. The default ones they packaged for me were inadequate.

I really wanted to use an iPad for my EHR. Even if I could access this EHR with the iPad Safari browser, the user interface was really designed for clicking with a mouse and using a PC keyboard.

I finally went to paper charts for a few months while shopping around for other EHR systems. I randomly got a Google ad for Modernizing Medicine while writing my email and decided to check them out. When I clicked on their ad, they were advertising for their ophthalmology app, but had not released it yet. A few months later, I looked again, and found that they had just released their ophthalmology app and that they were Meaningful Use certified. I signed up with them a few weeks later and have been with them for the past 6 months. I was up and running just in time for the last attestation period for Meaningful Use for 2012 (October 2012).

The company has been great to work with. The EHR to PM system bridge was completed within a few weeks. The online training was great and timely (we fit the sessions within a month and this gave me time to spare for going online in time for October 2012). Customer service has also been wonderful. They are continually making improvements.

The system is easy to use, and it comes packaged with impressions/plans that is already great. The time-saving program that makes most accessible the most common impressions/plans that you choose is really time-saving. I also love how it is "customizable" on the fly. If you don't like one of the pre-programmed items, you change it and it is saved for the next patient with the same presentation.

I am most impressed with their native iPad app. To me, it is the biggest selling point of Modernizing Medicine. When I signed up with Modernizing Medicine, they were, as far as I knew, the only cloud-based EHR with a native iPad app. The only other company with a native iPad app was one which was apparently pretty expensive and also required me to purchase an in-house server (another huge expense).

As a note, if you are in the market for an EHR in which you can use an iPad, don't be tricked by other companies which claim that you can use the iPad to navigate their program. Most of them use a remote desktop program in which the iPad is essentially mirroring the screen from a separate Microsoft Windows computer in your office (a former colleague of mine was duped this way). It is slow, because you are running the EHR 'secondhand,' and the iPad touch interface was never made to navigate through Microsoft Windows. If you see an ad from another company that shows an iPad with a screenshot that looks like a Microsoft Windows window, be wary!

The iPad interface of Modernizing Medicine is very easy to use (and easy to learn) and saves me a lot of time. With my previous EHR, it was still inconvenient to lug around a laptop from room to room or from a room to a table surface to use the mouse and keyboard to fill out charts. With EMA (Modernizing Medicine), I can fill out charts while I walk from room to room between patients. Electronic prescriptions are sent right through the app. I have one iPad for myself, and one for my tech. My staff love the program.

One of my iPads has a cellular data plan activated - the benefit of this is that it can still operate if the Internet connection in your office is down. I also can take the iPad from hospital to hospital if I need to do an off-site consult.

I have given Modernizing Medicine 5 stars in three of the rating categories. I gave 4 stars for the product quality, only because I have encountered bugs even if it is a very high quality product. However, I have never encountered an EHR that does not have bugs (my colleagues all tell me that their EHR systems have bugs). In addition, Modernizing Medicine has been very proactive in addressing bugs and making improvements.

Bishr A.

Best Dermatology EMR

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

I bought a small dermatology practice and converted a paper practice to EMR- best decision I made because I am efficient, compliant, and can deliver great patient care.

Pros

Best dermatology EMR out there, very streamlined and easy to use. I am incredibly happy with my choice because it gives me efficiency, and it has very nice built in capabilities for dermatology. There is also analytics built into it which help you run all kinds of reports including CPT code, diagnosis, referring doctor, patient reports and many others. There is also a practice management system that fully integrates with the EMR so you can have all in one and no need for another. I personally use Kareo which integrates quite well with it. Great support team when you need them.

Cons

It is more costly than other EMRs but you get what you pay for- I would rather pay more for a better product.

Response from Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Hello! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and those considering our EHR, EMA. We're thrilled to hear you have been happy with your decision.

Loyd G.

Great EMR

Reviewed on 2018/12/30

Overall it is great. Best on market for derm. I am very happy and think it is the best by far for derm.

Pros

Very easy to use. Based on an iPad. Very intuitive. Staff likes using it also. Updates are say to get.

Cons

Can get pricey. They should not charge for pathology reports but do. Should give more discounts for multiple users.

Response from Holly A.

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us and those considering our EHR software. It's greatly appreciated! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Linda W.

Reviewed on 2013/06/25

Before going to the training in Florida, I was skeptical if there could actually be a dermatology compatible EMR. Our small practice (1 doctor and 2 medical assistants) was moving locations and starting fresh after using only paper charts. The 2 medical assistants do everything from patient check in, scribing for the doctor, assisting in procedures, answering phones, check out, and billing. We needed a software that would help, not hinder, our office flow.

We have been pleasantly surprised over and over again! Here is why we love EMA and the company that brings it to us. EMA has been developed and continues to be improved by people who use it. This translates into easy-to-use software that works in the real world. Our staff have different comfort levels with computers, but all of us have been able to use EMA proficiently in a short amount of time.

EMA makes caring for our patients easier. EMA saves time, freeing us to do the most important thing, taking care of our patients. We often take credit when our patients say “this office is like a well-oiled machine”, even though much of our efficiency is due to EMA.

When we have a question or a suggestion, the support team at Modernizing Medicine responds quickly. The suggestion process is easy and our suggestions are taken seriously. The improvements that are made are consistently an improvement. Their staff is professional, knowledgeable, and refreshingly kind. I am not someone who likes change, but when it comes to EMA, if something is changing, it means it is only getting better.

Lisa C.

Love EMA!

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

great photos
MIPS

Pros

I like ease of use and ability to customize

Cons

I don't like fees for outbound faxing - so I just fax less

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Thank you so much Dr. Christman for sharing your positive feedback with us and others considering our dermatology EHR, EMA. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Michael W.

EMA ophthamology

Reviewed on 2014/09/20

A fairly nice EHR. Great summarization of encounter screen and a nice portal that allows patients to input some medical history that populates to the exam. The system organizes the data nicely. The opening screen gives great overviews & makes it easy to see previous encounters. The system is very intuitive & easy to use. The chief complaints are easy to input & the questions asked during HPI relate to the specific chief complaint only. This EHR system has 3 major flaws however: (1) It is unable to load all the previous exam findings (for example previous CD findings will not load) (2) Exam data is often deleted & has to be re-entered even when saved. For example if you are performing a post-op exam on the right eye & save your exam but then later go back & try to enter data for the left eye, the entire exam must be re-entered & repeated. The same is true if you start off doing a non-dilated exam & decide to dilate....then the entire anterior segment exam must be repeated. Most users avoid this by not entering data from the exam screen but instead doing it from the diagnosis/impression screen but of course this would create an incomplete record (it does not have retinal findings like CD included in the exam notes). If they could fix these 2 problems the software could be great!

George J.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Very cumbersome. Better EMRs out there.

Reviewed on 2018/07/22

Looks "pretty" when you first see it, but this program is very cumbersome. Requires multiple mouse clicks for simple tasks. You have click from screen to screen multiple times to complete a chart note. Customer support is horrible. I was locked out of system after hours on a Friday and could not get anyone to help me regain access until Monday.

More expensive than other EMRs we looked at including E-Clinical and Epic. In so many words, we have been very disappointed with this system.

Pros

Physical exams can be customized fairly easily. Otherwise, there are not many positives to this system.

Cons

Very low, cumbersome, lots of clicking, horrible customer support, more expensive than it appears.

Response from Holly A.

We certainly appreciate you sharing your feedback, as it will help both our team and product to better meet the needs of our clients. Someone from our customer success team will reach out to discuss your experience, or you can reach us at 561-880-2998 x2. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Sarah C.

BECOMING MODERN

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Pros

MODERNIZING MEDICINE HAS A VERY EASY CHECKIN AND CHECKOUT SYSTEM. EASE OF USE ON THE PMA SIDE IS GETTING BETTER DAILY

Cons

THE REPORTS RUNNER IS NOT VERY USER FRIENDLY.

Wendy E.

Ema makes being a solo practionnioner not solo

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

excellent

Pros

Ease of use. logical connections for diagnosis and treatment

Cons

nothing no complaints
Having to press submit without any complaints

Response from Modernizing Medicine

Hi Dr. Epstein - We are so glad to hear about your great experience in using our EHR system, EMA. Thank you for sharing! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Libby B.

Reviewed on 2013/07/11

Our office was still using paper charts before converting to EMA. We put a lot of time and energy into researching different electronic health records before making a decision.

We needed something user friendly and Dermatology specific. It was a no brainer!!!! EMA or M2 was hands down the best choice for our practice. The implementation was smooth and the company's staff was so helpful. They even came to our practice and helped with the training. The sandbox they set up as a test site ahead of go live date is super helpful and still helps with the training of new employees.

We have only been using EMA since October 2012 but it is like second nature to the staff and providers. There have been several updates since we started, but there is always videos and support to help us along the way. With any new EHR there are bumps and obstacles to overcome, but I believe EMA is one of the easiest transitions out there. You hear horror stories about companies who have been using their EHR for over a year and still can't get it. Definately not the case with us. Overall I am very happy with EMA-M2!!!!!

Jennymarie M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Modernizing Medicine Meets all of our needs.

Reviewed on 2015/02/05

Pros

The vendor has a knowledgeable group of employees who are schooled in the specialty they promote and train with. The customer service and advice on the technical side of Ophthalmology is wonderful. The product is easy to learn and follow. The web training worked perfectly in our schedule. There are plenty of review videos and training videos to see. The program is constantly being upgraded to meet the needs of the physicians based on requests made. Meaningful Use was relatively painless because of the technical work and training that this vendor took to create.

Cons

From a management perspective I have no complaints. Perhaps the billing department could use a little attention.

Kirk S.

Smoothest EMR for Derm

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

This is the most intuitive EMR software I’ve ever used. It is incredibly well designed. It cuts down on charting time considerably, however still produces a very detailed chart. Game changer!

Cons

The only downside to this product is the overall cost. It is considerably more - over double when compared to their competitors. Like driving a BMW versus a Ford though, you get what you pay for.

Response from Holly A.

Hi Kirk - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience using our EHR system and glad it has helped save time while charting! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager

Kent K.

Horrible customer service

Reviewed on 2017/01/23

The company does not respond to real problems with the EHR. I have reported billing issues where incorrect modifiers are used for billing with no resolution in OVER A YEAR! The software does not run properly on the most recent version of Firefox which is a browser required to be used by the company. When using this combination repeated delays occur when entering data with endless spinning wheels popping up. I reported the problem after spending months and $$ with my contracted IT people trying to figure out the issue (including swapping out my computer). A month later the issue is still "open" and unresolved.

Pros

It is more user friendly when working than other EHRs I have seen.

Cons

Multiple problems including incorrect coding of modifiers, and incompatibility with more recent versions of Firefox which is the internet platform needed to run the program. Customer service is completely unresponsive when you can get a hold of them and drop issues without resolution. Requires having a full time office person available to try and deal with the company.

Katy A.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

EMA is the best EMR ever! It has made charting a whole lot easier

Reviewed on 2014/06/26

Pros

I like that it is very user-friendly, and it makes charting so much easier. I also like that we did not have to make many changes to the templates because the system is dermatology-oriented. It's funny to think that we were doing paper charts just a few years ago.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like is that I cannot change the username for the patient portal.

John G.

Modernizing Medicine - Great Experience

Reviewed on 2013/12/04

Pros

This product enables a chart to be done in minutes without the use of suspicious clone-like templates. There is time and room to add your own findings and comments at every step if necessary.

The vendor has superior and knowledgeable support staff, and I know them by name. I have had this EMR for about two years, and I cannot imagine using any other.

Cons

I find no negatives in this program. There is always phone support for questions.

Ronald F.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

I have been happily using EMA for the last two years

Reviewed on 2015/02/10

Pros

The support and product are far superior to any other I have seen and head over heels better than the two EMRs I used in the past. I have been on an EMR for more than 10 years now, and my blood pressure is back to normal since starting with EMA.

Cons

Still waiting for the Pathology module. There is really nothing else I would complain about

Mark G.

Reviewed on 2013/01/08

We were one of the first customers with EMA by Modernizing Medicine and have been using it for almost two years. We had a previous EMR system that we never could use in a meaningful way but EMA is so intuitive that even our new MA's pick it up very quickly. We would never go back to our paper templates and charts of the past!

Every upgrade they have implemented has improved their product and their customer support has been very good.

We looked at several EMR systems before settling on EMA and have had no regrets!

Ajit N.

Glad I Made the Switch to EMA

Reviewed on 2015/02/16

Pros

It's intuitive and has a user-friendly tablet interface; charting time reduced compared to previous vendor; it has automatic superbill creation; it generates glasses and contact lens RXs.

Cons

It does not have its own integrated practice management system.

Israel E.

review for EMA

Reviewed on 2016/11/03

I am very happy with this product. it is very functional and adaptable to our practice needs.

Staci G.

Reviewed on 2013/07/11

We have been using Modernizing Medicine now for 2 1/2 yrs now. We have been extremely satisfied from day one. The support system is wonderful. We would highly recommend this EHR software.

Dr Reed has been in practice for almost 30 years. The changes over the years have been a lot for medical documentation. EMA is very user friendly and definitely helps with billing to the highest level.

Samuel G.

A great Apple like app.

Reviewed on 2015/02/12

Pros

Its easy to use and is very intuitive.

Cons

It took some time to integrate it with practice management software.

Robyn S.

EMA Review

Reviewed on 2015/02/03

Pros

They continue to update and improve their product by listening to feedback.

Cons

It's a rapidly growing company, therefore they're very busy. This is good and bad.

Eileen S.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

An amazing product once you learn it!

Reviewed on 2014/06/24

Pros

Very little free typing is needed.

Cons

There are frequent updates to correct or fix issues. By the time you learn an update, another one is about be launched.

Jeffrey T.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

The EMR is good. Do not under any circumstance is signed up for the billing service my...

Reviewed on 2017/07/16

Pros

Signed up initially with your EMR. Their EMR works well.

Cons

Do not sign up for their billing service. My collections are way down since we switch. Every time I call they don't seem to care

Jeanette M.

Reviewed on 2013/01/30

It is easy to get through to the support department, but very difficult to find someone that understands the product enough to know what your issue is. The typical response is, "let me log in and see if I can repeat the problem." I know it is a problem. I'm not ever asking if it is. I'm asking if it is a known issue and if so when in it will be fixed. If it is an unknown issue, I will gladly enter my own case.

Enhancement requests are prioritized by affect on all customers, not by facility. We have yet to see an enhancement.