Artsystems

Art management database for galleries, artists, collections

5 /5 (20 reviews) Write a Review!
4,8
4,9
Ben H.

Using Artsystems Pro and Artsystem5 art focused databases

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

Overall, Artsystems provides a system with functionality that is extremely well suited to recording, tracking and reporting on everything to do with artworks.

Pros

Having used Artsystems Pro (with Cloud Sync) for a number of years, I was impressed by its wealth of features and attentive support team. Being able to quickly generate custom reports on a searched-for selection of artworks has been invaluable. Our database, which contains a considerable amount of content, including many images and some custom data fields, was then migrated seamlessly from Artsystems Pro to Artsystem5. With Artsystem5, all of the functionality and more has been very successfully moved to a powerful and convenient web-based system.

Cons

Although Artsystems Pro worked very well and was equally well supported, it did require a supervised (video call and remote machine access) update every time Mac OS received a major update. With the migration to the fully web-based Artsystem5 this inconvenience was removed.

Response from Art Systems

Ben, thank you for you review! Always a pleasure working with you and an honor to serve the Estate of Francis Bacon. So glad that you appreciate the convenience and functionality of our new upgraded web-based system, A5, and the seamlessness of the migration. Best, Doug

Frederick E.

Excellent Software for the Fine Arts Industry

Reviewed on 2020/10/03

As a fine art landscape photographer with a growing portfolio and numerous gallery relationships, I found that managing my print inventory with Excel was no longer adequate to my needs. I have adopted Artsystems Pro, and with its flexibility and robust data management capabilities, I know where all of my prints are, and my consignment, invoicing,reporting and contact management workflow is vastly simplified. Software support has been excellent. The savings I have realized from being on top of otherwise-misplaced inventory is well worth the investment cost of Artsystems Pro alone!

Pros

Functionality allows me to eliminate the redundancy of data input and output in different business processes (inventory, consignment, invoicing, reporting, etc.).
Easy to learn.
Excellent customer support program.
Better control of inventory pays for itself.

Cons

No cons in my view. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Edward C.
Industry: Retail

Ever Evolving Products and Support

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

I can rely on Artsytems for timely service when needed and for innovating its integrated product lines to support and grow my business over time. This has allowed me to remain focused on my business and serving my clients and artists.

Pros

My gallery has been served by Artsystems since its establishment in 2006. Over the years, we have migrated our database easily to newer and ever improving Artsystems client and data management tools, which connects to and serves the website that Artsystems designed and hosts for us.

Cons

Like all software, it requires updates and adjustments to keep pace with every advancing computer operating systems.

Jill C.
Industry: Fine Art

Vital software with great support

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

We have been using Art Systems for over 20 years. It has been vital as a print publisher to keep track our extensive inventory with their EDITIONS module. It is quite easy to enter new editions considering how complex the software is. It has also been a time saver that they have integrated Quickbooks into their software. We don’t have to double enter invoices into our accounting software. Art Systems new program A5 has been invaluable during the pandemic. Since our database is now cloud based, our entire team was seamlessly able to work from home making invoices, tracking previous sales and having our clients contact information on hand.

Pros

Support is super quick to respond and resolved lightening fast. Since switching to the cloud based system, all support is efficiently handled by emailing a description of the problem. Along the sidelines, the Quality Assurance team fixes it! It’s so simple. Gone are the days of having someone remotely jump on my computer to see what’s going on and taking the time to work with them to resolve. It’s fixed from a distance and they simply let us know all is set. It could not be easier.

Cons

Since they upgraded to their cloud based system, A5 has many more features. We are most certainly not using the new program to it’s full potential but plan to learn and integrate all of its latest features.

Response from Art Systems

Wow! thanks so much, Jill, for your kind and thoughtful review. It's been a pleasure working with you and Larissa for so many years and we are so proud that you have been able to take full advantage of many of the powerful features with our software, including the integration with QuickBooks, the dedicated Editions module, and the <2-hour response and expertise of our experienced support team. Best, Doug

Tom G.

Couldn't image running my business without Art Systems

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

Pros

I run my art gallery business with Art Systems because it helps me keep my business efficient and effective. I chose Art Systems because Pro Database Software allows me to manage our inventory, our mailing list and our transactions efficiently by connecting all of the data. I post all my financial data to QuickBooks which removes any repeated data entry and provides me with the means to double check my accounting or find mistakes quickly. I also use Art Systems for my website from which I continually get positive feedback on the design and functionality of the site. Pro allows me to easily manage the site. Each Art Systems tool saves me time and money. With Art Systems, tasks get accomplished faster and more efficiently thus making my business more effective. Art Systems is a business that continues to be vested in the success of its customers. They continually provide prompt and excellent support in a generous manner. They are always finding ways to respond to the changing art market by providing updates to their products and create new one to better serve their customers. I have worked with Art Systems for 25 years and couldn't image running my business without them.

Cons

There isn't another gallery management software that comes close to what Art Systems provides.

Response from Art Systems

Tom, thank you so much for your review and for helping to improve our products as a true power user. Your support has been critically important to us over the years.

Cristin L.

Web Based is the Best!

Reviewed on 2020/11/18

Pros

We have been Artsystems Gallery Pro users for many years, and the web based aspect of A5 was
important to us because it made the database accessible from any location with an internet connection. I know this has made our IT manager’s life much easier, and it has been essential considering that our staff is primarily working remotely during the pandemic. The ProFile app has also improved the way we communicate with clients, and it allows us to work efficiently while in the gallery and at fairs.

Cons

Moving from one version of the database to another can be a challenge simply because of the learning curve. However, the support team does an excellent job with training sessions and they respond to questions quickly.

Rosina R.

I Don't Know What I'd Do Without ArtSystems

Reviewed on 2020/10/24

When I started my project, I was working with a 35mm camera and keeping hard copies in plastic sheets in binders. The process of categorizing, sorting, sending out information has changed exponentially over the years and ArtSystems has been a huge part of that for me. (See comments in "Pros" section.)

Pros

I began using ArtSystems in the late 1990’s to catalogue the work of my late aunt, painter [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who created more than two thousand works on canvas and paper during her lifetime. From the earliest version to the current cloud-based program, ArtSystems has evolved to meet my growing needs and proved to be a key organizational tool as I recreated exhibition history and curated new exhibitions, built a website, and gathered material for the Walinska papers at the Smithsonian Archives of American Art. The people behind this software understand the needs of artist estates and are a joy to work with. Their hands-on support and training, and their openness to comments and suggestions, have made learning and utilizing this program painless and productive.

Cons

There is nothing negative to say. The software just keeps getting better, as the creators are constantly seeking feedback and making updates.

Response from Art Systems

Thanks so much for your review and your support over the years, Rosina. It's always been a pleasure working with you. -Doug

Margit E.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Artsystems helps make our collection accessible

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

The licensing cost for Artsystems is well worth it for large collections of art. Also, I recommend paying extra per year for support access. The staff is quick to respond and give excellent friendly instruction. They have often come to my rescue when I had an urgent task to accomplish.

Pros

An archive is only as good as it is accessible, and Artsystems makes it very easy for us to present our collection to clients, galleries, book publishers, and curators worldwide. The works, contacts, and transactions fields coordinate beautifully, and reports and worksheets are smart looking and quick to put together. Just as important, the AS staff knows the product inside and out and is always there to help. There are very few art databases that are comparable to Artsystems.

Cons

Artsystems is a sophisticated database that takes a while to learn.

Response from Art Systems

Thank you, Margit, for your great review. We're so proud of being able to serve the Saul Leiter Foundation and it has always been a pleasure working with you.

Julie E.
Industry: Fine Art

An indispensable product for our business

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Pros

Artsystems software allows us to effectively manage our extensive inventory of more than 50,000 works of art. Artsystems is not only intuitively designed and straightforward to use, it also allows us to integrate our inventory, contacts, and transactions, efficiently cross-linking all of the data. Customizable reports, including invoices, consignment agreements, and client presentations are also particularly appreciated and help to streamline the gallery’s workflow. I have always found the Artsystems support team to be responsive and personable, continually providing prompt and knowledgeable assistance. In short, Artsystems has proved to be an indispensable tool for managing our business for more than 20 years.

Cons

Since our inventory is so large, the data can occasionally take a while to load.

Howard S.

Great prodcut!

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

For approximately 30 years, Artsystems has helped streamline our gallery operations, manage client contact information, and maintain the records of all artworks that we handle. We especially appreciate the ability to create customized reports, including invoices, consignment agreements, and documents for internal use. Artsystems software has changed the way we keep records for our business and has only been improving over the years.

Pros

Cons

Aesthetically, I think Artsystems could use a makeover. Maybe to look a little more modern/chic.

Chance L.

Artsystems review for Gary Price Studios Inc

Reviewed on 2020/11/02

We have been using Artsystems for many years at Gary Price Studios and have been pleased with their level of support when needed and with how the software is designed. We love how simple it is to use and does not require a lot of training to understand how it was designed. The new A5 cloud based system has been a great improvement for us as we can manage our needs and records on the go. We would highly recommend working with Artsystems!!

Pros

I love the convenience of the cloud based program, it is easy to use and very simple to navigate.

Cons

At this point in my usage I do not have any issues with the new A5 cloud based program.

Tracy B.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Over 20 year relationship...

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

We joined Artsystems in 1999, first with R.B. Kitaj's studio, and now as an integral part of my work with the R.B. Kitaj Estate. The database is used daily, as we track inventory, gather information for rights and reproduction requests, or review historical notes on the work for scholars. Artsystems support has been invaluable over the last twenty plus years! We are grateful to have them as part of our support system.

Pros

The ease of use; the ability to include a variety of images; and the Customer Service is FABULOUS

Cons

The annual cost - but it is worth it! We take advantage of the services provided. Money well spent.

Response from Art Systems

Thanks, Tracy, for your wonderful review! It's been an honor and pleasure to work with you and the Kitaj Studio and Estate over the last 21 years.

Alex L.
Industry: Retail

12 Year Customer

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

For over 10 years we've been using Artsystems to manage our client base and inventory. We've had excellent support over the years, including updating major versions without problems and we especially love how the database syncs to the website easily. Artsystems have found a way to support our bilingual website which was super important.

Cons

After 12 years of entries our database is fairly large so the software can render a little slow, especially when looking at images/ large bodies of works

Brigid L.
Industry: Fine Art

Artsystems is a great program!

Reviewed on 2019/02/24

Since introducing Artsystems to our gallery, it has become vital in running our business. Artsystems allows us to manage our inventory across multiple locations efficiently. The support staff has been a pleasure to work with as well. They go above and beyond to customize the system to meet our needs and aid us in way we need.

Pros

Allows us to manage our inventory with ease and efficiency. Great support team!

Cons

Having a separate APC environment, however making that move showed a big improvement of how fast the software was working.

Shannon S.
Industry: Photography

Great Database

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

Etherton Gallery has been with Artsystems for over a decade, and we couldn’t be happier with the program. It has everything we need, and more, to store our inventory with ease and peace of mind. The support staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We can’t say enough good things about this data base, thank you Artsystems for your continued support.

Pros

Easy to use. Gets the job done. Great database to store our large inventory.

Cons

Tiny issues here and there, but the support staff is extremely helpful.

Jennifer W.

We love Artsystems!

Reviewed on 2019/01/16

Pros

Our gallery was one of Artsystems’ very first clients and I, personally, have been using the software for almost 20 years. I don’t know what we would do without it! Artsystems is user-friendly and allows us to keep track of our entire inventory, contacts, offers, consignments, and sales. Their support staff is amazing as well and is always available to help.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about the software.

Steve S.
Company size: Self Employed

Review by an uber user of Artsytems

Reviewed on 2020/10/04

I especially like the support. My support people are [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. They always help me and have lots of patience with me.

Pros

It keeps me organized. Allows me to be the best registrar of the collection. It's extremely important to me. One of the most important things in my life.

Cons

I like everything about it. No complaints.

Response from Art Systems

Thanks, Steve. It's been a gas working with you and your wonderful collection with your database and website for so long. You rock.

Juliana M.

Easy to use program

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

Pros

I like that the system it is very complete and keeps changing for more upgrades. I am the only user at our gallery and I find the system very easy to use. We use gallery system for our inventory, and also the ipad app for art fairs.

Cons

I am very happy with it, nothing bad about it

Caroline B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Great product!

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/10/07

Artsystems has been flexible and supportive of our needs. They provide excellent customer service and are always responsive. They also provide expert support personnel who complete data input and uploading information to our website, which is incredibly helpful when we are short on time.

Pros

Artsystems is very easy to use. The program helps us manage a database of thousands of artists' images. It also easily tracks biographical, provenance and contact information. Many reports can be easily customizable and extracted from the database, which is incredibly helpful when managing inventory.

Cons

I hesitate writing a con, as we are very pleased with the program. If pressed, I would mention the search feature on the online platform could be more robust. That said, it is perfectly functional.

Response from Art Systems

Thanks so much for your review, Caroline! Always a pleasure to work with you all and an honor to serve the Pollock-Krasner Foundation. Regarding search, since you must be referring to your website, I will have our web team touch base to see how we could improve this feature. Thanks! -Doug

Karlyn B.

Impressed with Artsystems

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

Artsystems helps me to efficiently manage the many moving parts of planning an exhibition for a non-profit arts organization, from tracking lenders, shipments, and artwork to quickly creating labels and checklists. I can't imagine working without it! I started using Artsystems software earlier this year and was impressed by their customer support. I received quick responses to my inquiries. Artsystems representatives were patient and worked with me to implement my specific needs.

Pros

There are so many features and it is very comprehensive.

Cons

It would be great if images could load faster.