Carta

Equity management solution for public & private firms

Mallory R.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Super easy to keep track of my stock options

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

Overall it is simple and easy to use and makes it easy for a company with a large number of employees to keep track of which people have which vested stock options.

Pros

Love how Carta automatically updates me as to when I have more vested options and shows a progress bar as to how far I still have to go for all of my stock options to vest.

Cons

No complaints but I probably haven't used this software at a deep enough level to truly find anything difficult or something to dislike about this software.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Stock Options Made Easy

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Pros

Carta helps us track all of our company's stock options in one place, providing simple reports and instant changes to our cap table.

Cons

Changes to Stakeholders now require more steps than they did in the previous format, it is a bit more time consuming when making a lot of changes.

Frank T.

Great Cap Table Management and Scenario Modeling

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

Overall, I am very happy with Carta.

Pros

I love having an up-to-date Cap Table at all times and being able to model exit and funding round scenarios quickly. Integrated stock ledger and 409A valuations are a plus, too. I plan to implement investor and board communication into the platform this year.

Cons

I wish the scenario modeling provided optionality around convertible notes. But the file outputs allowed me to manipulate the data once in excel very easily. And they were presentation ready.

Theodore B.

Good Cap Table Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Pros

Carta is a very cool cap table management software with various functionality answering the majority of the needs of a startup for this kind of software. The UX is very nice and easy to use.

Cons

One of the downside of Carta is its CS. As long as everything is working it's perfect but when you need their CS you will have to wait a long time before your problem is resolved

Tanner W.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Not sure how I should be using except once a year...

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Very nice UI. Seems intuitive.

Pros

The UI is very slick. Easy to navigate. I'm sure when Carta is relevant to me, it will be easy to use.

Cons

Don't really know how I'm supposed to interact with it. Not sure if that's my company's fault or Carta's customer success team... All I know is one day I'll have RSU's in there and it will become more relevant.

Molly R.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism
  • Used Other for 1+ year

User friendly

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

I was able to buy stocks through my company with just a couple of e-signatures.

Cons

It was lacking in some features. The time it took to get my stocks was a couple of days but that may have been on my HR side.

• Industry: Insurance

We use this to distribute/organize stocks

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Pros

Our company gives employees stock options and we use Carta to organize/distribute/view your stock options. It is pretty helpful and easy to use. You can check out each stock option separately so you know exactly when you received each amount and when it vests and such

Cons

I don't have anything I don't like about it, I guess I just wish I knew what else the website can do, I only really know about accepting/viewing my stock options.

• Used Other for 1-5 months

All in one platform

Reviewed on 2020/10/18

Overally, it's been a few months but good experience nonetheless.

Pros

Never knew such platforms existed until we started using one. It's a nice, easy to use platform, allowing us information about everything ESOP's and the related terms for us within the organization.

Cons

It would have been great had there been more information on how to actually navigate through the platform.

Sonya I.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Very simple interface for viewing, managing, and monitoring my stock options

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

We started using it this year to manage stock option paperwork and vesting schedules.

Pros

No hassle, very easy to use. It has a clean layout and makes it easy to view all your paperwork. It sends me an email each time more stock options vest.

Cons

I haven't hand any issues with it so far. My only complaint is that it's a very specific tool for what amounts to legal document management and those documents could be shared and managed another way. But it works well and has a clear goal, so it's fine.

Taddes K.

A clean and efficient way to manage stocks

Reviewed on 2018/11/21

We use this for managing equity

Pros

By far, the user interface is excellent and allows for a great deal of visualizations that help you manage and understand stocks. It's built using React and is a stellar example of component-based design at its best. It's clean and clear.

Cons

It is a bit unintuitive and complicated for the uninitiated, which is a common thing whenever you're dealing with stocks and finance, but the user interface is clean and there is plenty of support

Once top shop for cap table management

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

Very easy to use
Option grants to employees are all done through the software
There are reports for all our needs, from stock based comp calculations, min disclosure for financial statement audits, etc...
Customer support is top notch. Chat feature allows you to live chat support team with minimal wait time.

Cons

Reports take a very long time to populate and the files can be extremely large. Some report files are over 20 MB's

Sho L.
  • Industry: Information Services

Love-Hate Relationship with Carta

Reviewed on 2021/01/10

I have nothing else to compare Carta to, so I don't even know how to respond. On a positive note, I suppose I can list 'Carta' as a skill on my resume, though I don't know whether I would want to deal with Carta ever again if I seek different employment.

Pros

When I have issues with this software (which is often), Carta's support team is usually very responsive and will work with me on the issue.

The software itself works fine, I guess, as it rarely has technical problems. The offered tutorial does help, and I appreciate the Carta team for putting the tutorial together.

Cons

Not very intuitive to use! A major part is requiring a good foundation in securities and stock options knowledge, which I clearly do not have.

One HUGE gripe I have with Carta is that there is no quick way to bulk update a set of option grants, but rather I have to go into EACH option grant, upload the document I need to upload, add a note of what I am updating, wait for 5 seconds for the update to occur, and repeat with the rest of the 1000+ option grants. I have been uploading/updating these option grants for a few days now while trying to do my other work, and I am still updating as I write this review on a Saturday evening. I don't know whether to keep on updating while cursing at the Carta screen, or just call it quits for the day. Also, the update generates an email notification for the option holders, and of course a good amount of them send me questions afterwards despite our team having already prepared a mass message for our Chief Sales Officer to send out that explains these notifications. I'm at the point where I'm inclined to curse out the next sales employee that asks me what these Carta notifications are for.

Alan C.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Easy way to manage stock options

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

Overall I have had a positive experience with Carta and am glad it exists to easily manage stock options.

Pros

Their documentation and blog are very helpful in understanding all the terms and nuance of stock options.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like - the software does a solid job servicing our need for managing stock options.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Easy for users, simple interface

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Very seamless and straightforward. Positive experience for end users, and helps feel like the equity system is more legitimate within our company.

Pros

Uncluttered user interface. Very obvious where to click & navigate. It's nice to track my overall equity and individual grants. The best feature is the ability to simply forecast overall share allotments across varying vesting schedules.

Cons

There isn't a robust feature set beyond the basics to track your equity, but I'm not sure how much more I would need for that.

John C.

Carta Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

I enjoy using Carta, and hope I can continue to use it and continue to grow equity.

Pros

I love having everything in one place, and easy to use, purchase and organize all of my grants and vested stock.

Cons

I wish that I could use some sort of market value prediction tool, as well as have deductions from my paycheck taken out to be used for stock.

• Used Other for 1-5 months

Stock Options: Managed

Reviewed on 2019/11/26

Does what I need it to as an employee of a company that offers stock options.

Pros

app for iOS and a web portal with Two Factor Authentication required before anything can be used. Gives an extra layer of assurance that only the intended user is accessing sensitive financial information.

Cons

The password requirements are kind of funny, starts off by saying "Your password needs to be at least good and 9 characters long.", then changes the message as more characters are typed. The definition of "good" is eventually revealed.

Tatiana S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great Product!

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

Pros

This product is easy to use and we are very happy with it.

Cons

I can't think of anything that can be improved as of now.

Richard C.

The most painful experience imaginable

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

The worst experience with any B2B software company for years

Pros

Nothing - over complex and awful UX and customer support

Cons

The setup is beyond painful. The support staff are incredibly arrogant and everything about your business has to fit around Carta. You can't even stop the annual subscription without following the 'Carta off boarding process' which is just as hard as onboarding and is simply designed to help their finance team...classic lack of customer focus. Truly painful in every way.
Seriously avoid unless you are a huge company and you feel like wasting enormous amounts of time

Michael L.

Carta keeps me in the loop

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Pros

I love their communications skills aka the emails they send out when I've vested shares.

Cons

I have no qualms or issues with Carta at this time.

Really simple setup

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

Great UI and application!

Pros

Carta was the easiest setup I've ever had for any financial app or solution.

Cons

Setup was fairly painless so I don't have any true negatives.

• Used Other for 2+ years

Simple way to manage equity in a startup.

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

Pros

It's easy to see when I can exercise shares, and it's easy to see my current holdings.

Cons

It's such a bare website. I would like some more features, maybe educationally-focused links and ways to track the value of the shares, if there is any information.

David B.
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Imposible to use because its always so SLOW

Reviewed on 2020/05/10

The CEO's and law firms that use it seem to be happy with it, as an investor user, I literally cringe every time we get a new stock cert from Carta because it takes so long to do antying.

Pros

In theory, it should be easy to manage our portfolio of over 50 different holdings.

Cons

We are investors, not issuers. As investors, we have 3 big issues.
A). The site is SO SLOW, I literally end up e-mailing the portfolio company to ask for the information.
B) The UX for the portfolio is nonsensical. For example, if you accept a certificate, you are not taken to the holding,s rather to some summary page from which you then have to search for what you just accepted and if you are not in the right "portfolio", it doesn't show up.
C) Carta makes it very difficult for one to keep a backup.

Aaron D.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great for users

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

Easily see all investments with my current company. Easy to read and understand. I get an email each month with updated vested shares.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time. Will see when I am fully vested.

Jon D.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great Equity Management

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

We use Carta to manage our company equity and stock options.

Pros

Easy and efficient way to check on equity status. I also like the language / articles that Carta provides about stocks and stock options.

Cons

The platform is straightforward and easy to use I have no complaints

Rob P.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Huge timesaver, great value and has improved continuously over time

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

Pros

It solved a hugely expensive problem very easily (I used to have to manage our cap table in excel, print out paperwork and issue my own stock certificates. However, every time I look at software options, I was stuck going back to the same system. Using lawyers is truly insane cost-wise, so we manged it in-house. I talked to users of all competitive products and every single one noted errors in those products that led to board-level action and highly expensive fixes. This is NOT something you want to mess around with. Carta, however, was FAR superior to all other options in ease-of-use, accuracy of data, security, rapidity of product development, and ability to scale along with our company. They could make any adjustments needed without the needs for costly external counsel or board interaction.

Cons

When we first started using it (nearly 5 years ago), we found a few bugs in accounting reporting on edge cases (we had a couple outlier cases unusual for a company of our size at the time ). The Carta team quickly made adjustments to their software to resolve the problems however (and have continued to respond quickly to feedback).