Carta

Equity management solution for public & private firms

4,5
4,3
4,2
4,3
Mallory R.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Super easy to keep track of my stock options

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

Overall it is simple and easy to use and makes it easy for a company with a large number of employees to keep track of which people have which vested stock options.

Pros

Love how Carta automatically updates me as to when I have more vested options and shows a progress bar as to how far I still have to go for all of my stock options to vest.

Cons

No complaints but I probably haven't used this software at a deep enough level to truly find anything difficult or something to dislike about this software.

Zeah S.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Eshares to Carta

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

We started with Carta when it was Eshares. Prior to using this software we were tracking everything in an excel spreadsheet which was a complete cluster. Now we can easily pull reports for information on the shareholders. The only difficulty I have encountered is the lack of a report that my auditors will accept without manipulation from myself. Still way better than manual tracking.

Pros

The ease with which data can be entered

Cons

Reports for Audit purposes can be painful

Adam G.

I like Carta

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

Understanding my options and RSU holding, their vesting schedules

Pros

Carta is easy to understand, find information, and understand where you are in the vesting process.

Cons

I think the vesting informaiton needs to be presented in not only column format but graphically represented also

David B.
Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Imposible to use because its always so SLOW

Reviewed on 2020/05/10

The CEO's and law firms that use it seem to be happy with it, as an investor user, I literally cringe every time we get a new stock cert from Carta because it takes so long to do antying.

Pros

In theory, it should be easy to manage our portfolio of over 50 different holdings.

Cons

We are investors, not issuers. As investors, we have 3 big issues.
A). The site is SO SLOW, I literally end up e-mailing the portfolio company to ask for the information.
B) The UX for the portfolio is nonsensical. For example, if you accept a certificate, you are not taken to the holding,s rather to some summary page from which you then have to search for what you just accepted and if you are not in the right "portfolio", it doesn't show up.
C) Carta makes it very difficult for one to keep a backup.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Alan C.
Industry: Computer Software

Easy way to manage stock options

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/09/24

Overall I have had a positive experience with Carta and am glad it exists to easily manage stock options.

Pros

Their documentation and blog are very helpful in understanding all the terms and nuance of stock options.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like - the software does a solid job servicing our need for managing stock options.

Industry: Consumer Goods

Stock Options Made Easy

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

Pros

Carta helps us track all of our company's stock options in one place, providing simple reports and instant changes to our cap table.

Cons

Changes to Stakeholders now require more steps than they did in the previous format, it is a bit more time consuming when making a lot of changes.

Industry: Computer Software

Simple way to manage equity in a startup.

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

Pros

It's easy to see when I can exercise shares, and it's easy to see my current holdings.

Cons

It's such a bare website. I would like some more features, maybe educationally-focused links and ways to track the value of the shares, if there is any information.

Frank T.
Industry: Retail

Great Cap Table Management and Scenario Modeling

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

Overall, I am very happy with Carta.

Pros

I love having an up-to-date Cap Table at all times and being able to model exit and funding round scenarios quickly. Integrated stock ledger and 409A valuations are a plus, too. I plan to implement investor and board communication into the platform this year.

Cons

I wish the scenario modeling provided optionality around convertible notes. But the file outputs allowed me to manipulate the data once in excel very easily. And they were presentation ready.

Industry: Computer Software

Easy for users, simple interface

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Very seamless and straightforward. Positive experience for end users, and helps feel like the equity system is more legitimate within our company.

Pros

Uncluttered user interface. Very obvious where to click & navigate. It's nice to track my overall equity and individual grants. The best feature is the ability to simply forecast overall share allotments across varying vesting schedules.

Cons

There isn't a robust feature set beyond the basics to track your equity, but I'm not sure how much more I would need for that.

John C.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Carta Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

I enjoy using Carta, and hope I can continue to use it and continue to grow equity.

Pros

I love having everything in one place, and easy to use, purchase and organize all of my grants and vested stock.

Cons

I wish that I could use some sort of market value prediction tool, as well as have deductions from my paycheck taken out to be used for stock.

Rob P.
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Huge timesaver, great value and has improved continuously over time

Reviewed on 2019/06/21

Pros

It solved a hugely expensive problem very easily (I used to have to manage our cap table in excel, print out paperwork and issue my own stock certificates. However, every time I look at software options, I was stuck going back to the same system. Using lawyers is truly insane cost-wise, so we manged it in-house. I talked to users of all competitive products and every single one noted errors in those products that led to board-level action and highly expensive fixes. This is NOT something you want to mess around with. Carta, however, was FAR superior to all other options in ease-of-use, accuracy of data, security, rapidity of product development, and ability to scale along with our company. They could make any adjustments needed without the needs for costly external counsel or board interaction.

Cons

When we first started using it (nearly 5 years ago), we found a few bugs in accounting reporting on edge cases (we had a couple outlier cases unusual for a company of our size at the time ). The Carta team quickly made adjustments to their software to resolve the problems however (and have continued to respond quickly to feedback).

Industry: Internet

Once top shop for cap table management

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

Very easy to use
Option grants to employees are all done through the software
There are reports for all our needs, from stock based comp calculations, min disclosure for financial statement audits, etc...
Customer support is top notch. Chat feature allows you to live chat support team with minimal wait time.

Cons

Reports take a very long time to populate and the files can be extremely large. Some report files are over 20 MB's

Kevin C.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great App for Managing Private Equity

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/12/04

Overall, it's been awesome using Carta. It's a great tool to manage private equity. I'd highly recommend this.

Pros

- Keeps track of multiple companies in a singular account
- Great data visualization tools for exercised vs. vested, etc.
- Repository for pertinent documentation

Cons

- Mobile application is lacking some features that the web app has (i.e. documentation repo).
- Sometime difficult to understand the workflow required to accomplish a task. There are multiple ways to do the same thing, which can leave the user feeling a bit lost at times.

Enrique F.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

For a Start-up, this is a great tool to manage your equity

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/13

Overall, Carta Equity Management allows us to track and record equity along with sharing the information with the employees. It also provides us the reports to book the quarterly stock based compensation.

Pros

Carta is fairly easy to navigate, as the administrator I can answer questions employees may have as far as vesting and their options.

Cons

Some of the reports are not easily identifiable, you have to select the options you want when running the report.

Jeff L.
Industry: Financial Services

Step by step and very informative

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

Pros

I like how for every piece of information, Carta has detailed explanations for it. It's great for new people who are not familiar with how option grants work.
Interface is clean, and I like the different animations when you sign or purchase grants.
Also like the monthly email about the vesting progress.

Cons

Don't really have any problems with the software. I am just a user of the tool with very limited permissions. There is not much I can do on the site.

Ben B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Easy way to monitor employee stock options

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/11/08

Overall, Carta has been a useful tool for managing and visualizing my employee stock benefits.

Pros

I'm not a finance expert, nor a lawyer. That's why I like Carta so much for managing my employee stock benefits. It keeps all the records and information in a single place that I can access easily, along with helpful guides and tutorials for what everything means.

I also really like the interactive vesting schedule/option exercise calculator. They are both quite helpful in visualizing stock benefits.

Cons

I don't really have a complaint about Carta other than I wish it integrated with other employee benefits platforms, like Justworks. Obviously Carta is much more specialized than Justworks, and there are probably legal/security reasons it is separate, but it would be cool to have everything in one place.

Theodore B.
Industry: Real Estate

Good Cap Table Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

Pros

Carta is a very cool cap table management software with various functionality answering the majority of the needs of a startup for this kind of software. The UX is very nice and easy to use.

Cons

One of the downside of Carta is its CS. As long as everything is working it's perfect but when you need their CS you will have to wait a long time before your problem is resolved

Molly R.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

User friendly

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

I was able to buy stocks through my company with just a couple of e-signatures.

Cons

It was lacking in some features. The time it took to get my stocks was a couple of days but that may have been on my HR side.

Tanner W.
Industry: Computer Software

Not sure how I should be using except once a year...

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Very nice UI. Seems intuitive.

Pros

The UI is very slick. Easy to navigate. I'm sure when Carta is relevant to me, it will be easy to use.

Cons

Don't really know how I'm supposed to interact with it. Not sure if that's my company's fault or Carta's customer success team... All I know is one day I'll have RSU's in there and it will become more relevant.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Very Easy Management of Company Shares

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/01/13

I have loved that I can see all of my equity in the company and when the stock vests.

Pros

I love being able to go in and see how many shares I have, how many have vested, and when the next shares will vest. It has a portfolio section as well that shows how many shares will vest and on what day those shares vest. Overall, it is a very simple program for the user and (from what I have heard) very easy to set everything up on as a company.

Cons

I hope that one day Carta will get into other markets to allow you to invest in other private companies. I feel like they have a great platform and would be good at adding a feature like this.

Industry: Telecommunications

Stocks in One Place!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Overall, no major issues with Carta. Makes the stock options piece of my job easier to manage and communicate.

Pros

I really like using Carta to manage our stock options for employees. I find it simple to use both for administrators as well as employees who are creating accounts and reviewing options.

Cons

Sometimes I find the reports are tedious to complete because there are many options to select. Sometimes it does take some time to make multiple changes.

Aaron D.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great for users

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

Easily see all investments with my current company. Easy to read and understand. I get an email each month with updated vested shares.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time. Will see when I am fully vested.

Stock Options: Managed

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/11/26

Does what I need it to as an employee of a company that offers stock options.

Pros

app for iOS and a web portal with Two Factor Authentication required before anything can be used. Gives an extra layer of assurance that only the intended user is accessing sensitive financial information.

Cons

The password requirements are kind of funny, starts off by saying "Your password needs to be at least good and 9 characters long.", then changes the message as more characters are typed. The definition of "good" is eventually revealed.

Industry: Insurance

We use this to distribute/organize stocks

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Pros

Our company gives employees stock options and we use Carta to organize/distribute/view your stock options. It is pretty helpful and easy to use. You can check out each stock option separately so you know exactly when you received each amount and when it vests and such

Cons

I don't have anything I don't like about it, I guess I just wish I knew what else the website can do, I only really know about accepting/viewing my stock options.

Tatiana S.
Industry: Media Production

Great Product!

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

Pros

This product is easy to use and we are very happy with it.

Cons

I can't think of anything that can be improved as of now.