IronWorker

Container operations management for all business sizes

Dan M.

Simple set up, very good support, and clean interface

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

I like Iron Worker. I don't use all of the features but it has helped a lot with scaling up and streamlining functions in my app.

Pros

It's simple but scalable, the support is very good. When setting up I had a lot of questions and they respond quickly. I like the interface, the ability to easily see exactly what is contained in each request is great and the API is straightforward.

Cons

There is not much middle ground on the pricing, it's either an opening price point plan with more limited features, and then the next level jumps up significantly in price. I am using this for an app that is not processing a up huge volume of traffic so I am able to get by with the features on the lowest price point plan, but I would like something offered in the middle that doesn't jump up in price so steeply. I should mention I am using the worker via the Heroku app.

The only other negative is that the worker has gotten hung up on me a couple of times but it has only happened minimally and they are quick to resolve once I report it.

Chris M.

Easy to use caching + worker deployment

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

Pros

Very easy to integrate the product; highly available service; great performance.

Cons

Little support and support by email takes a very long time to get a response. Platform availability great but they could improve customer service support and documentation or knowledgebase.

Abhinav K.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

DevOps solution to speedup the Software development.

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

Iron Worker helps in simplifying the development and focus on the cost cutting. The custom auto scaling helps to set the threshold limit so we should not run out of budget. The opensource server-less computing with help of IronFuncation give the wings to application and help in integrating with the containers .

Pros

Iron Worker helps in managing the multiple management portfolio to speed up the software development and delivery. It also provides the flexibility while designing the deployment cycle for different level of architecture. Brief metrics help in auditing and identifying area of improvements. Simple Queue Service is much more enhanced and provide the multiple option like sharing the queue and generating the report and analytics to get the area of cost cutting. SQS dashboard help to analysis all the things in the single panel window. Authentication is provided with the token which make the queue share possible without compromising with the security.

Cons

REST based API configuration is little complex and we need to go through the documentation before implementation as user interface for setup wizard should be user friendly and simple.

Daniel M.
  • Industry: Legal Services

The ORIGINAL serverless platform

Reviewed on 2019/01/05

This is a great solution to the "cloud cron" problem. Scheduling of jobs is easy. No need to have a cloud instance running cron.

Pros

I love the ability to schedule jobs to run at regular times. Native PHP support is also a great plus.

Cons

Occasionally jobs stall in the queue and need to be manually pushed through. This has not happened recently.

Iron.IO Makes Worker Deployment Simple

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Overall, I throughly enjoy my experience with Iron.IO except for a few caveats.

Pros

The hybrid service is excellent and allows for greater control for my usage and us very simple to deploy new instances with one command.

Cons

They Autoscaling is not true autoscaling... It will not automatically add the Security Groups when scaling up. Therefore, I still need to be available to add security.

• Used Other for 2+ years

Nice but a little expensive

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Overall I was really thankful for it and initially it enabled me to do some things that would have been very, very difficult on other platforms.

Pros

I used Iron Worker for a couple of automated processes like running subscription payments for the gym software that I built. I found a PHP plugin that got me up and running really quickly and initially the cost was very low. I couldn't have had everything working as quickly and as well as I did with any other platform than Ironworker.

Cons

Quite honestly it got expensive to the point that it was cost prohibitive. It ended up being cheaper for me to spin up an EC2 instance and run my processes using cron jobs on a virtual server. I haven't checked the pricing recently so it might have changed, but at the time it became too expensive to use.

• Industry: Semiconductors

Good service but price model is questionable

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Use baseline service during pilot stage, works well.
With our volume increase, baseline service shows reliability issue and sometime out-of-sync.
So we are suggested to use either enterprise or on-premise deployment. The question is, it's just small part of our overall architecture but either E/P services charged too much.
So our engineer build similar home-made solution within ~3 weeks to replace it.

Pros

Good functionality set, customer support is fast and expert level

Cons

The baseline service and enterprise service had a huge gap.
Baseline service is high value-of-return but can't guarantee performance and promised behavior.
Enterprise service is over-charged comparing with other similar Cloud service.

Ingram M.

Simplicity comes at a price

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

Very happy with Iron Worker. The only issue is the pricing is very high, compared to other shared resource processing.

Pros

- Simplicity of use
- Language support
- Good dashboard and reporting

Cons

- Expensive
- Seems to slow down a bit on the shared Iron Workers at about 1pm GMT, when the USA starts its working day

• Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great Service

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

Pros

Iron provides great documentation which makes it simple to get started running workloads on their system that can then scale as far as you need.

Cons

Some of the offerings overlap with AWS which may be a better choice if you're already using Amazon or Google's clouds.

I use Iron services every day.

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

Very easy to use, the analytics is great option for use to optimize our code, the guarantee cron job is peace of mind to our business.

Cons

Very short window of period on worker history, so that we have to track and store every tasks with the payload and the result.

Crissy C.

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

Very versatile! Software works great to reach customer base that we need for our business.

Cons

There are some glitches with the software. It is not very consistent.

Iron is Great

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

We are using iron to automate and time tasks

Pros

Iron allows users to easily maintain their automated tasks.

Cons

Iron allows limited concurrency which does overload the servers.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Very User friendly

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

Pros

For people not technically advanced, it's a very easy to use UI. Easy to find what I'm looking for.

Cons

There are production level outages occasionally which would cause the queue to stack up. Not a good customer experience.

Nikhil K.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

hosted job solutions

very good

Pros

dynamic scale is the feature i like the most

Cons

nothing as such i am about to fully use this

Pratyush P.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Background Jobs

Reviewed on 2019/01/21

We were trying to implement background jobs and orchestrations. Background jobs can still be achieved but for orchestration we had to move to AWS Step functions.

Pros

Iron IO and Iron Worker are all easy to use. Its also well documented, so quite easy to get started

Cons

I think its nice with all hardware scaling and all. But from software point of view its small. You dont have too many options or configurations.

James S.

Serial processing to parallel processing with Iron Worker

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

As per my mini essay above!

Pros

Iron Worker is a great way to move your workflows from serial to parallel. This tool is actually a bit hard to wrap your head around, but it effectively enables either a large job to be sliced up into smaller, bit-sized chunks and processed concurrently, or can process lots of small tasks concurrently.
What this means is that instead of having a bottleneck in your data production line (borrowing a factory analogy), where your output is low because one step takes a long time and thus the ENTIRE production line is limited, you can de-bottleneck it with Iron Worker.
For us, this was doing ETL on a huge CSV file. I needed to have lots of data pulled out and standardized, before sending it off on a message queue (we also use Iron's Message Queue [Iron MQ], because of it's push queue feature).
This was a huge bottleneck for us, and we were just spinning up more and more resources in AWS to try and push a watermelon through a baseball sized capacity window. Iron Worker was great because we were able to run 20 Workers that EACH worked on pulling the data we needed, organizing it and then placing it onto the message queue, at the same time. To say that our capacity lifted 20x with these 20 workers for our entire flow is not an exaggeration, and returning to our production line analogy, the operating capacity of our production line has greatly increased.

Cons

The tool is a little tough to understand at first, but really this makes it a bit of a secret as many people don't understand how to employ it and reap the rewards. Worker came originally from a consulting solution to large company problems around these production line issues (I have chatted with the CEO over a call), and it really does a good job at it.

Additionally, the docs are a little tricky to pick up at first, but is worth the effort to overcome. I do wish Iron would simplify some of their docs and there is a bit of versioning.

Stephen L.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Makes my job so much easier

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

I love how it easy it makes my job. By automating part of our processes, it saves us so much time!!

Cons

It was difficult for me to figure out how to go online and change my CC# information. But once I figured it out..it was fine.

Scott R.

Solid service but can get pricey

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Very reliable, stable and quick to learn platform which would be even better if a little cheaper.

Pros

Easy to get started and upload in my case, PHP packages to do some queue processing.

Cons

As soon as I threw good amounts of traffic at the service, costs would add up pretty quickly. In the end it was cheaper to run my own queue servers instead of using third party.

Skyler K.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Great Service!

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

While a queued message service is something that can be run and managed ourselves, we were spending too much time working on these backend services that our customers did not necessarily see the value of. By offloading the queued messaging to Iron Worker, we were able to get back to building new features for our core product and customers!

Pros

I loved the fact that I could move our queued messages off to a dedicated company that knows queues inside and out. It was almost a drop in replacement for the Redis based queued service I was using previously

Cons

I did not find any major downsides to using the software. At some point the cost will likely become a factor.

Nick M.

Good way to offload long running tasks

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

Helped us to move some expensive tasks off our main app and run them reliably and scalably at a decent price.

Pros

Really powerful tools for automating and monitoring async tasks. Good reporting and API. Really easy to see why a task failed and retry it.

Cons

Found it hard to get started with the new Docker-based setup and migrate my existing tasks.

Excellent

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

Pros

All, everything I do I can do it with ease

Cons

Nothing, I think it's the best software

Kamil Z.

My review

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

Pros

Easiness of use, documentation is easy to start

Cons

List of features-would be great to have more of then

Very useful product

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Pros

API is very easy to use. Easy to navigate the website

Cons

System goes down occasionally. Also often the timer for the worker will continue counting even after the job succeeds in our system, and will only stop counting when the page is refreshed.

Ivan B.

Humble review

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

I'm running multiple tasks to collect and update various stats and analytics. Having a persistent cron-like jobs runner is very handy.

Ability to queue task via API is helpful too but in my case, I'm not using it extensively.

Pros

Fast and simple deployment of updates via Docker.

Cons

UI of the control panel.

Inability to filter or sort scheduled tasks (especially by payload).
Inability to temporary pause scheduled task.
Inability to search through tasks logs.

Artificially reduced in size Config editor in Codes.

Vaurn D.

Iron- The good and the bad

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

As any SAAS, iron has its pros and cons, in my organisation we heavily rely on iron and for good reason. But we do not rely on the iron logs as much, probably because we have other better logging services in place.

Pros

Pros :
1. Great for automation
2. Great for scheduled task execution.
3. The concurrency feature is awesome.

Cons

Cons :
1. Very limited task logs, and is could use some more features and be more detailed.