Shortcuts

Management tool for salons, spas, and barbershops.

4,1
3,8
4,2
Mickey H.
Industry: Cosmetics

My Personal experience with shortcut salon..

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

Over all betterment to operations and management ...

Pros

I started from the begin| ! Was a wise move on my side ...

Cons

None ...It wasn't so easy for me personally
change in mind set and moved forward and learned a new and better wat 4

Julie L.

User Friendly Software

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

We are very pleased with Shortcuts in our salon. The 24/7 support has been great.

Pros

This salon software is so user friendly. It is easy to train my staff to use this. We use Shortcuts to schedule clients appointments and for point of sale. The variety of reports and marketing lists is great.

Cons

We really have not had any problems with Shortcuts. If we could not figure something out, the support is outstanding.

Ivy H.
Industry: Retail

Shortcuts isn't a good choice for my salon

Reviewed on 2016/12/10

I wouldn't recommend shortcuts to any salon and Ive made this clearly obvious to shortcuts. this software is not right for any non basic salon business. After spending numerous hours/days/years on extra extra extra training, encountering daily and constant system errors and issues. I managed to get help from someone who was efficient and she spent over and hour reprogramming our software after it had been set up incorrectly (by shortcuts). Then everything she spent her time doing was wasted because the system that is shortcuts managed to not save any of her updates. So suffice to say our next 3 training sessions revolved around reprogramming it again.
Please please please do your research before signing up to a shortcuts contract. Perhaps do a trial with them first. Because I am signed to a 3 year contract and would honestly have been better off using a paper and pen system.
Shortcuts is awkward, cluncky and constantly times out. When id had it over a year i was told extra training would require payment and i even paid for my receptionist to do a course which didnt even touch on the system and turned out to be nothing related to shortcuts at all. The help desk is impossible to get through to. Their systems constantly goes offline. Its very sticky and cluncky. Its not user friendly and it duplicates clients contacts and if you ask shortcuts to fix most issue they will charge you unless you nearly have a nervous breakdown.
The marketing tool requires a degree in software programming to be able to use as its completely random and not user friendly.
Before i bought S/C I couldn't have been clearer about my needs before I agreed to this system and ive lived to regret it. It was supposed to make booking easier for me and my clients but its been a complete nightmare. Other software companies were honest about what their systems couldn't do but shortcuts promised theirs could do everything on my list and more. And the truth is its not right for some. But it's not even capable of managing my stock which is extensions and Ive given up. I hate leaving reviews like this but after they fasley used a feedback they asked me to do after a training session I feel its my duty to be honest about this system and prevent others from being duped.

Pros

It looks nice

Cons

Its useless, not user friendly, over priced and very basic

Katy D.

perfect for us

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

Pros

Familiarity and ease of use. company is always trying to improve functionality and features

Cons

i wish I had remote access to all features at any time like mind/body

Nathan S.
Industry: Education Management

Reviewed on 2019/09/29

Pros

The amount of things it can do for the cost.

Cons

Could have more robust reporting and customization of reporting.

Cliff A.

Owners opinion of ShortCuts

Reviewed on 2019/09/22

Not bad enables us to effectively run our business, not having the ability to enter middle initials, and last name suffixes is a short coming as well as not providing a daily report on hair cut times is a big disadvantage as a high volume shop with 8 stations, haircut times are very important to us

Pros

a number of good reports (KPI's) are generatd

Cons

the data base lacks structure, we are a high volume barbershop providing 750 to 900 services per week. We have numerous clients with similar names, including father and son, brothers etc. To better differentiate, our clients if you data base configuration included a filed for middle initial, and last name suffixes such as Jr, Sr, 1st, 2nd 3rd etc it would make it easier to correctly identify the correct client. If the wrong client is selected it can result in improperly cutting their hair as the notes are wrong because it its not the correct client. Also you need to establish a daliy report that provides hair cut times

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Britney R.

Shortcuts Software

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Through Shortcuts we have been able to take our bookings online through their online booking portal resulting in a reduction of front desk staff labor!

Pros

Shortcuts software is extremely user friendly in our salons. They have an expansive educational library on their website that make training new staff a breeze.

Cons

The only downfall we have with Shortcuts is its not a true shared database. We have multiple sites so having one pool of client data would be ideal. They have work arounds like global clients but it creates duplication in the files and data per site.

Bernie R.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

3 Year contract of frustration.

Reviewed on 2019/03/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I am appalled that a customer can spend thousands of dollars to get a programme to work for me rather than the programme doing what it promises and that Shortcuts are willing to fob me off. After being a loyal customer for 6 years running and have put in so much effort to have a great Spa software, this is the thanks I get from Shortcuts. Do your research, there is other software out there that works in a much easier way and doesn't cost as much. Be careful of software that wants to lock you into a 3 year contract. Upgrades are also another 3 year contract added onto your current contract. Bizarre!

Pros

The technical support are quote knowable and mostly friendly.

Cons

There is no social media integration. Average wait time on the phone for tech support is at least 20 minutes, in a busy salon that loses money. Their system is very old school based, not very intuitive. The Gift voucher system is so counter intuitive, really hard to find old gift voucher numbers.
They lock you into a 3 year contract and I believe that is the only way they keep customers. Their pricing for features that you can't use properly are extra costing. Overall I paid for the extra services so that I could use the software to it's best and after signing the contract there only some features available.
The confirmation text messages are very short and their online marketing system to create marketing emails (when it works as it rarely does) looks like its from the 80's. I had a MAC pc and had to install other software with a technician that cost me over $1400 to get sorted out to be able to use Shortcuts on a MAC, it gave us so much trouble I eventually bought a Windows computer from Shortcuts that cost me $2500 plus. I have spent so much time and countless hours working "for" shortcuts instead of it working for me.

I have asked to be released from my contract for Shortcuts and they would prefer to have a customer that will never return than lose 12 months of something that doesn't and has never worked for me.

When I have asked for education to that on my part I know I am using it to it's fullest ability, I have been quoted a few hundred dollars each time.

Jason S.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Shortcuts Opperations

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Overall great experience with using the Shortcuts software package. Support is great from Shortcuts, they can dial in a fix issues if it can't be resolved over the phone via Teamviewer. Most of our students catch on quick with the basics of adding appointments and client services, cashing out and general navigation is great.

Pros

Very easy to setup and use. So many features from inventory to customer appreciation to scheduling clients with one to many employees. I know a few salons that use this software and love it. All in one package for everything you would need to run a salon/spa.

Cons

The only thing I was not happy with was that the credit card software was an add-on (like most software platforms) and since we are an education facility we had to go with the standard package. This means you have to have another solution for a standalone credit card processing device if you are not willing to pay to use the built-in module.

Betty D.

Reviewed on 2019/09/28

Client complaints.
Past/future business.
Stylist performance.

Pros

Reletively easy to use.
Secuity levels.
Reports.
Friendly contacts.
Remote access.
History log.
Email and texting abilities.
Daily auto backup.
Client history.

Cons

The below need work before we can use them.
Waitlist use.
Walkin manager.
Online booking.

Freddie B.
Industry: Hospitality

A vendor that is there for you every step of the way....

Reviewed on 2019/01/16

I have been with Shortcuts since the inception of my salon 9 years ago. It is scary enough as it is opening a salon, let alone looking for a software scheduling program. I came from using a paperbook for years, and knew that I needed to be in the NOW with a digital software program. There were soooo many to choose from. So confusing. But what made Shortcuts stand out from the rest was there personal one on one approach. The initial online presentation was even conducted by the sales rep and the CEO at that time. The CEO!! Like who does that?! I am one to ask many questions, and they were all answered with ease and confidence. To this day, Shortcuts still operates in that manner.

I make it a point to only deal with vendors that I can actually have a business relationship with and not just be a number on a sales call list. Shortcuts treats you like a true business partner. Whenever I call the Helpdesk, they always remember who I am and give me the best undivided attention, always. Any question, big or small, is treated as a priority to them. That in itself is priceless.

For this, I can truly say that I will be a client forever. We have a solid business relationship. One that cannot be purchased but only forged through years of dealing with each other. And isn't that what a true business partner is all about....

Pros

- Online Booking
- Client Booking App.
- Cloud Appointment Book
- Staff Anywhere Schedule Access
- Remote Access
- Visually Appealing
- Touch Screen Friendly
- Easy to Use
- Always Innovative
- Consistent Training Available through Webinars, Email Articles, & You Tube Videos
- Helpdesk is always willing to help

Cons

Maybe the wait time on the Help Desk, but that is to be expected during peak hours. They recently added a call back feature if you don't want to wait on hold. That sure is a plus.

Vasi B.

Best Salon Software Ever

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Pros

I feel that this is THE most easiest software to learn, use + train others to use. It’s so user friendly and simple and we have never had any one of our staff have a problem using it. The business reports, marketing, inventory + online appointment sections are incredible and keep our business running smoothly and effectively. I also love the 24/7 customer care that’s available at any time if you need them.

Cons

There is nothing that I don’t like, It’s always been a pleasure even after all these years of using shortcuts.

Brandi W.

8 years working with shortcuts

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

Overall I love how responsive the shortcuts help desk is! They always take time to answer all of my questions and make sure I am taken care of. If I do not know how to do something they are always there to help!

Pros

I love the clean and professional look of shortcuts. I like that there are so many things you can do from booking appointments, marketing to clients, and even auto scheduling reminder or no show texts and emails.

Cons

The two things I would like to add to shortcuts is the ability to keep card information on file to charge no show or cancellation fees as well as a way to be able to txt clients and have them respond. Right now we have to use a third party for each of those features.

Diana B.

Great product overall

Great!

Pros

I love the ease of use of this product. Our daily day to day operation would be so much more difficult without Shortcuts. Shortcuts keeps everything organized and running smoothly.

Cons

The only down side to this software, when using the online booking feature, everything is a-la-cart. It is an issue for the salon industry, since we often book clients back to back. For example, one client would be a color and cut, during their processing time for the color, we could book another client in there. Not all clients know to book the color with a blowdry/cut, some only book the color portion which does not always leave us enough time to fulfill their request.

Billy R.
Industry: Retail

Avoid at all costs if you're looking for a modern salon software

Reviewed on 2020/02/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The staff are always pleasant and helpful however they have a policy of trying to tie you in to long contracts without being clear about it.

Pros

Shortcuts is an out of date and overly expensive salon software which doesn't have the capabilities that it advertises.

The reporting feature is useless and makes it impossible to know how your business is performing. They don't even have a good client retention report that is easily accessible, which we consider our most important KPI. There is no option to use the full features of the software remotely which is really hard if you run a business with multiple locations (I cant be in two places at once).

They tie you into long contracts and conveniently don't mention that when you upgrade to a new feature the contract starts again. I believe that this is because they know that if they offered rolling contracts they wouldn't have any customers. If you read the google reviews you will notice I'm not the only person with this complaint.

After years of being a customer of Shortcuts I feel that I've been treated appallingly. I don't want the hassle of moving I just want software that works for me, but after promise after promise of 'new features' which are always 'coming soon', I'm tied into paying for something that still doesn't suit my needs. So I'd really prefer to try something else. But they make it impossible for you to leave.

Due to it's failure to adapt quick enough and improve the software so that it is suitable for a modern salon owners, you'll be better of choosing a different software that does. Avoid at all costs.

Cons

Lack of remote capabilities, poor reporting, poor online booking system & app. Not great for use on an iPad. It's just outdated and doesn't evolve quick enough.

Julie L.

Great Salon Software

Reviewed on 2019/01/22

We use Shortcuts for salon scheduling and point of sale. It is excellent for customer record keeping and has a lot of options for marketing specifics.

Pros

Shortcuts is so user friendly. It was a very smooth transition in our salon when we started using it. I like that you can do multiple functions at the same time without losing any information. The variety of reports is very helpful. Shortcuts customer service is fantastic! Someone is available to help you 24/7 with any question or challenge.

Cons

There hasn't been anything that I haven't liked about Shortcuts. If I am unsure of how to do something, support will walk me through it.

Jessica H.

Excellent software with amazing support

Reviewed on 2016/02/05

We been using shortcuts going on to six years and it's been a blessing to have such a powerful operating system to support our business growth.

I have researched other point-of-sale systems including salon biz, salon Iris, mind body, millennium - hands down Shortcuts remains the best for the following reasons.

1) simple user interface
The touch option and visual layout is easy on the eyes. This works with our barbers as our staff are spatially and visually oriented. The icons are self explanatory and predictable.

2) shared credit among staff
As a team-based environment an important feature was for us to be able to give credit to multiple team members for one ticket.

3) benchmarking
A great feature is that shortcuts allows us to benchmark ourselves against other businesses operating within the same threshold. This helps us gauge the health of our business.

4) built-in marketing
Shortcuts also has a built in marketing tool in which we can compile customer information based on a variety of demographics and variables. This information can be exported into an email campaign and sent directly to the customer at no additional cost. Comparatively other softwares outsources this feature thus resulting in added cost/each campaign.

5) genuine and enthusiastic
The truth is, just with all other technology- bugs and hiccups do happen from time to time. What is important is that we are confident that someone at helpdesk is always there to resolve the problem.

We just ranked top 200 salons in North America by Salon Today under growth category. We couldn't have done it without a strong management system. Thanks Shortcuts! Keep up the great work. Lets continue to grow together!

Response from Shortcuts Software

Thank you so much for the kind words, and huge congrats on making it to the Salon Today Top 200 Salons. We love having Eikonic House of Barbers in the Shortcuts family.

Victoria C.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

We have been using Shortcuts for over 15 years in all our salons, and appreciate the ease of use - 24 hour technical support and how they stay always increase software options to help you keep control and expand your business.

Pros

Shortcuts Software makes it easy to book and keep track of client history and services. Great business reports and training videos help us to keep out business on track.

Cons

We like using the Set & Forget email marketing program, but would like to see more art options, and styles to create more attractive emails.

Jennifer T.
Industry: Consumer Services

Great for large salons with multiple locations

Reviewed on 2016/12/08

I had worked with Shortcuts for years when I was managing a chain salon. It was super user friendly. What I really loved were the training videos that were loaded on it, and available through a quick click for teaching new stylists and receptionists how to use every feature.
There were lots of reports to access that give data on every aspect of the business and for individual stylists. The stylists loved being able to easily ruin a report to make sure they were on top of their goals.

Pros

Reports, customer service, personalization

Lisa D.

Sold Me on all the new functions (Google + Facebook Bookings and payments a custom app!)

Reviewed on 2018/12/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Used them a cpl of years ago at a different salon so when I opened my own, they were my go to. I deal with their USA location in HB, and they have a great team there now!

Pros

Loved that I could get a custom app for my own salon without having to spend thousands on my own developer. My clients love that they can book online from the app or Facebook/Google. Love that I can take deposits for appointments if I need to and that the checkout process for clients is so easy and can be done right from the chair! (we use a tablet with the app to do this part).

Cons

While I haven't had to call the help desk much, there might be a bit of a wait on the phone, would love to have the help desk available on chat and live during biz hours. Other than that, no complaints, it helps me run my salon smoothly and I'm happy about that!

Cindy S.

Organize hair artist

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

Shortcuts has organized myself and my salon,glad to be done with physical books!

Pros

I love looking up reports on how the salon is doing as a whole as well as individual!I like in a second being able to tell a client when she last visited us what she paid ect.

Cons

Client look up will only show you so many names and then u have to switch your look up by phone number or last name,which we cant always recall

Debby M.
Industry: Cosmetics

Shortcuts Software Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

We love this program/ clients can book on line. saves us time. check out and inventory very easy.

Pros

Easy to use. Support is great, anytime we have a question or problem someone helps. able to log in from home and girls can see schedule on phone.

Cons

Need to be able to color code clients. we have clients that have special prices and time we need. would be nice if they would be color coded so we can see that when they come up to pay.

Michael G.

Not user friendly

Reviewed on 2019/11/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Shortcuts also has a unique system set up for credit card processing which limits the amount of companies that can work with it so expect to pay a premium from their processor.

Pros

When the cloud functionality is working where I can access the software from a remote location.

Cons

The software itself feels very antiquated. It is my no means a user friendly interface. My stylists and staff complain about using this product on a daily basis. Support from Shortcuts has been an issue as well. Being an east coast based salon, their non-emergency tech support doesn't open until 9 am Pacific which has presented problems if I need assistance or have an issue. Training on the product was less than stellar as well and was condensed because the trainer was going on vacation and wanted to have things wrapped up before he left.
Unfortunately I am forced to use this overpriced, hard to use software because my franchisor has made it mandatory and I have no choice. There are so many other options available that are easier to use and less expensive.

Brittney L.

User friendly

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

It’s easy to pick up where someone leaves off, easy booking, fairly easy checking out.

Pros

I do all my training with this software. It’s easy for me to train with, user friendly, simplified steps. Step-by-step process which eliminates error.

Cons

At the check out if another service/product is added on after ‘confirmation’ is clicked, you have to put in 0.00 to the EFT to combine the whole price. Confusing to train on.

Eugene C.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

Choosing Your Software

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Pros

It encompasses what other brands do alacart into one easy to use, comprehensive data and growth oriented software solutions.

Cons

Earlier years struggled with products being launched what seemed prematurely, and promises of technology to come which seemed forever to happen. However over the last several years what you provide in my opinion of over 6 years the best software solutions for salons.