sharetribe

Cloud-based marketplace for small to medium businesses

Christian H.

Very good starting point for testing a marketplace concept.

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Easy setup, gained months using Sharetribe instead of setting up the marketplace from scratch.

Pros

Easy set up. Great customer support. Free 30-day trial. Reasonable pricing. Lots of tutorials to get started. Great articles in the Sharetribe Academy to help you grow your community and business.

Cons

Limited customisation features. Access to <script> tag to write custom javascript code allows some customisation, but it is not ideal because the code has to be constantly tested and regularly updated with evolutions of the core Sharetribe code, and furthermore this option is reserved for developers. Limited marketing features to interact with client database. Limited payment gateways.

Rashid A.

Deciding to use Sharetribe for my marketplace was the best decision ever.

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

Amazing. Top of the notch. It's the best out there for sure.

Pros

I am a product person that wanted to design every little feature of the user experience, before doing any coding. With Sharetribe Flex, the possibilities are endless and their support system is just amazing.

Cons

I had some trouble at first, to hire the right people for the development job. But this is due to my lack of experience with engineering teams.

Quentin D.

Powerful and user-friendly platform for peer-to-peer rentals

Reviewed on 2018/03/15

Easy to get started with a community project without high upfront investment in a platform

Pros

- Very intuitive and nice looking (simple, yet all all necessary features to convince your customer)
- Powerful payment system(s) integrated (Stripe & PayPal)
- Robust: neither admins nor users can make mistakes when using it

Cons

- Customization possibilities are very limited (including branding, especially of the outgoing emails)
- Open source version does not contain the most crucial elements
- Pricing is driven by number of users rather than by number of transactions. So you may end up paying a lot even if the business is not taking off

• Industry: Sports

Sharetribe is an excellent marketplace solution for companies - fast and affordable.

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Near-instantaneous MVP of my music instrument marketplace concept.

Pros

User experience is key in marketplaces. And Sharetribe's UX demonstrates a clear understanding of the common (and not so common) use cases for the supply and demand sides of marketplaces. Ease of set up and implementation. The customer support is excellent.

Cons

Lack of an integrated CMS. If you are trying to build a marketplace from nothing, it really requires tools to drive organic growth/awareness/adoption of your site. That's not to say that you cannot set up a wordpress or medium blog to support your Sharetribe marketplace. You can. However, configuration has to be done at the less-than-ideal subdomain route (which has some SEO downsides).

Jérôme G.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

I recommend Sharetribe to someone who wants to launch new Marketplace without spending lot of...

Reviewed on 2017/09/22

It allowed me to create a Marketplace really easily, fastly, and without spending a lot of money!

Pros

The cost is very low. It's very easy to use and configure. The team support is really nice and reactive.

Cons

It's still impossible to import a .csv file or other format to create listings in one shot. I have some customers who have hundreds of listings to create but of course they don't want to create it manually!

Kelly D.

Fantastic DIY Marketplace Tool

Reviewed on 2021/02/26

Sharetribe has made the set up of our marketplace extremely seamless, and their resources and support team have been exceptional. I highly recommend this software to anyone looking to build a world-class marketplace fast, with room to grow as needed.

Pros

I liked the ease of set up. We were up and running within hours.

Cons

Look and feel of the client interface. Wish there was some font selection tools.

Guillaume U.
  • Industry: Human Resources

I'm a ShareTribe client for more than a year now. I could build my MVP and test my marketplace...

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

I could develop and test my marketplace idea, and gain the trust to have clients, partners

Pros

I really like the ease of use of Sharetribe, you can quickly set up your own marketplace and run your business.
The customer support reply quickly.
The design is nice and the platform responsive, you can really build a nice MVP with ShareTribe

Cons

not enough features to take my marketplace to the next level.

the landing page is too much expensive, that's really a joke.

Alex B.

Professional and Dependable Service

Reviewed on 2018/01/04

The responsiveness of the people behind the software. I received answers in no time, including on weekends and they were beyond helpful!

Pros

The site is simple to use even for the least tech savvy of people! The responsiveness of the Sharetribe team is unparalleled.
Along with the suggested reading, it is a great way to get your Marketplace started.

Cons

A few functional limitations that I hoped in having for my marketplace, but not at all a deal breaker.

Simple to use out of the box software to get you started on your marketplace

Reviewed on 2018/01/28

Was easy to use and implement, the customer service was quick to respond and the price was the best I could find.

Pros

easy to use
price is right
can take user info with you if you leave
lots of integrated features from the get go

Cons

the design is mediocre
you have to pay extra to customize the landing page
limited features for customizing

Sharetribe platform allowed me to build marketplace in just few hours

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

Simplicity, security and scalability of the platform. payment gateways are easy to configure. creating managing categories is easy. Availability calendar is best suitable for booking marketplace.
Feedback system allows users to leave feedback to build trust. Sharetribe is great for someone who wanted to test the minimum viable product marketplace idea and scale it further.

Cons

lack of API's and custom themes. Bulk upload products would be good for large inventory. lack of third party plugins third party plugins

Patrick G.

Very good

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

Simplicity and price, ShareTribe offers a very attractive way to test a business model in few minutes.

Cons

Personnalisation. I'd like to have more opportunities to personnalize my platform even if i pay for it.

Rieke L.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Perfect starting point for a new marketplace

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

Sharetribe was the best way to start out for us, as it allowed us to see our business concept in action, and to define exactly what we did and did not need. Customer service was hands down the best I've experienced. We always got a response within hours of enquiring, always helpful, always knowledgeable, always friendly! Thank you!

Pros

Sharetribe's best asset: the trading side of the marketplace is sorted! We didn't have to worry about how to connect sellers and buyers, or any of the tough stuff like $$ transactions, commission, or privacy & security around transations etc.

Cons

We ended up opting for a custom solution instead of Sharetribe (after a good year of defining our strategy and goals with Sharetribe), purely because we needed some specific functionality for our marketplace. Limitations were also in the content manager, and sorting / display abilities within products offered.

Sam L.

Really simple to use and brought us fantastic results - outstanding customer service.

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Allowed us to go to market quickly and on a very tight budget to test assumptions and generally just get out there. The results we drove last summer allowed us to raise and build our own product - thank you sharetribe.

Pros

How easy it was to use / how quick it was to set up, and this ease of use came with excellent results.

Cons

Sometimes this simplicity meant that areas of customisation were not possible but only very infrequently.

Jacob S.

Review for Sharetribe

Reviewed on 2019/06/13

Happy with the service. You can focus on other aspects of the business.

Pros

Easy to start a marketplace and test the idea, Excellent support from the team.

Cons

On the hosted version the facility to integrate other payment gateways and Multi currency payment are some features that can add avalue.

Nicolas V.

Ideal for people that don't know how to code. Super-fast customer service response

Reviewed on 2017/11/11

Pros

Stable software
dummy proof
You can truly easily get to work with it.
Superb help tutorials & guide how to set up step by step.
You can easily set up your market place and can pivot
Superb customer service: replies within a few hours, always ready to help, ...
People of Sharetribe are very pleasant, friendly and accessible. You can build a relationship with them.

Cons

Too general - missing quite some standards (call, mail buttons, ...)
possibilities to make it more customized
Some features/landing page structures are not conversion-friendly
No view on future versions/updates/features

Cara M.

Easy set up and good initial functionality for start up marketplaces

Reviewed on 2018/03/15

Pros

The ease of set up, very quickly and easy. Customer support was also strong - including follow up down the line when features were added at a later date.

Cons

Couple of key features missing that limit our suppliers - those selling clothing (to easily put in one listing with clothing size options); the ability for suppliers to put in more than one shipping option (up to three would be great); and ability to create different commission rates for different groups of customers.

Tina H.

Sharetribe is easy to use, help is fantastic and with a few additional features will be...

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

It's great for pretotyping and the help team are brilliant, even helped me over an issue with Facebook login on a Sunday!

Pros

Very simple to use, requires little or no technical knowledge and it looks great. The search by location feature is a great addition and you can be up and running in less than an hour.

Cons

For products it needs a few additional features to be 5 stars, such as CSV product uploads, a rewards feature and the ability to handle returns through the platform.

Megan W.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Sharetribe is a great platform

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

Sharetribe is a really interesting platform and their customer service is out of this world! I would recommend it especially if you are planning on creating a services or rental marketplace. multi-vendor retail is a little tricky in some areas but they're adding features all the time and are receptive to requests (although requests are always subject to development demand and timelines, of course). Considering the quick set up, amazing customer support and tutorials available, I would highly recommend giving it a try to see if it will work for your unique marketplace.

Pros

Sharetribe's customer service is amazing: quick (despite timezone differences), friendly and solution focused. The initial set up is guided via a checklist for different areas of your marketplace and is very easy to follow. The look is pretty clean and the filter features are built in and really powerful. There are a lot of tutorials and supporting documents available if you're trying to figure out something new and if you still have trouble, they're always happy to help. There are also a lot of case study examples of Sharetribe marketplaces out there so you can really see what's possible for what you're trying to do.

Cons

I found that since my marketplace focuses on peer to peer sales (not rental or service based), I ran into some features that weren't available or possible to implement on Sharetribe. There is a lot of customization possible but there were a few things that I felt were important for the specific result I was looking for that made it difficult for me. Despite this, I have had a great experience with Sharetribe and they helped me launch my initial marketplace which has been essential in my business growth.

Jeanne B.

Sharetribe - HELPED DURING COVID-19 - Give them your business!

Reviewed on 2020/04/15

The thing that really stood out to our team of 20 remote volunteers was the customer service that Antti from sharetribe offered us. During COVID-19 it is a very difficult time for all businesses but the team at Sharetribe were enthusiastic to help and really took the time to understand our product. They even geared up for a national TV spot we were promised but that never happened.... upping their servers and giving us advice on some scaling challenges with our manual approval process.

Pros

This is incredibly easy software to deploy for any kind of two sided marketplace.
Especially useful for a team that includes non technical people.
We used the GO & FLEX versions and found them simple, intuitive and that the support was really exceptional for when we were figuring out how to use it initially and for all our out of the box queries.

Cons

We think the auto response on emails - when a listing is not approved. Would like to customise this, but it's a small thing and you can always find a work around (we did with Sharetribe's assistance).

Best option for building a successful marketplace

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

Pros

We looked at various marketplace software options before deciding to go with Sharetribe. From the outside some options like Wordpress Plugins look even a lot better than Sharetribe for example regarding functionalities. So we did several test trials. Our experience was not a single competitor of Sharetribe kept the promises made on their landing pages. So our experience from the start with Sharetribe was that they keep their promises and only promise what they are actually capable of delivering with very good quality. And the quality & robustness of the software has been simple outstanding. Besides their customer support is truly amazing and their marketplace academy extremely helpful. Overall I firmly believe choosing Sharetribe was the single best decision in our company history so far.

Cons

Every marketplace is different, so the requirements can probably vary quite a bit for every marketplace entrepreneur. So chances are high that you will miss a few functionalities. Nevertheless the Sharetribe team is constantly updating their software und the gaps are getting less with every month. In the end though having one functionality or not wasn't the most important thing in building our marketplace. For us building trust has been so far the most important factor and if your users trust you than they are also willing to overlook some of the current missing features.

Birte B.

Ration quality/price is very good -Easy to use and Sharetribe offers great customer service

Reviewed on 2018/01/08

Pros

It was very easy to set up the platform - we could quickly get started and and test different options. the concept of sending out daily/weekly updates of news on the site is great feature to keep people attention.
The Open source platform was probably the strongest reason why we choose the software in the beginning as it gave us confidence. None of us had an IT-background and it allowed us to start very quickly without a major investment and financial risk.

Cons

We have a closed marketplace - new members enter by invitation. However a high % of emails from Sharetribe are rejected ending in the Spam folder. We always pair an invitation generated from The Sharetribe Platform with a welcome mail send from our own e-mail system. However many invitations fall through and the automated e-mails about news on the site very often ends in the Spamfolder.
It is a cumbersome work checking and re-inviting potential new members as well as we are loosing members as they no longer see the daily/weekly mails !
Would like to have more options for personalizing - ei developers within the Sharetribe team that can help us adding more functionalities and still being able to use the software. A service that we are prepared to pay for.

Edward J.
  • Industry: Entertainment

This Software Ticks all the Boxes

Reviewed on 2017/12/18

It makes things so easy where users can place their own profile and listings. There is also no need to chase up commissions from users since these are taken out automatically after each transaction.

Pros

This software is very user friendly with an excellent review system. I also love the split payment system where buyers pay for goods to a user and I receive my commission instantly. I have always received excellent customer support where most inquiries are responded to within a few hours. Support have always been polite, friendly and very helpful. The look of the site is first class and far more superior than alternative software. I also like the way that new features are added at no extra cost. You can also email all users within the system and also download them to add to an external mailing list.

Cons

The customer service is of such a high standard that any issues I have had where resolved within a short time. There are some features that I would find beneficial such as having a facility for a discount code which I have suggested and hopefully will be implemented in the future.

Jennifer S.

Amazing customer support

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

If I have a question, it gets answered asap! Even on Sundays. When i'm working I don't expect them to be working... but they are!

The system is SUPER easy. There really isn't anything complicated to learn.

Pros

I'm building the website for my client and one thing I notice most is SPEED! we originally had a setup using wordpress on a shared server but it was just too slow. I know if we didn't get a dedicated server it just wouldn't work. So we did a trial and decided it's better then the competition.

Cons

I can't say there is anything I least like. All systems are a work in progress.

I would like to see more done in the booking calendar so customers can block off date. But this i'm sure will be applied in the the future as more work goes into the system. Also having a built in subscription would be nice. But i'm sure it will be considered and built in time.

Anthony M.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A great product with an even better customer service team.

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

Pros

While the software itself is an incredible turn-key solution, the real standout was the customer service team. While browsing the site, I found myself on the Sharetribe Careers page and read a quote about how the customer service team is constantly being praised and I couldn't agree more. Honestly, they have been amazing every step of the way. Thank you to the whole team for helping me out, working with me, and allowing me to take a chance with my business.

Cons

The lack of shipping cart for individual vendors proved problematic when dealing with the sale of particular goods.

Ammi Z.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

A great Choice for Online Marketplaces

Reviewed on 2019/10/20

The services of Sharetribe are really bespoke and robust to manage eCommerce concerns and that for me is a major selling point and advantage i have got from it.

Pros

I researched about other platforms that would help with building an online marketplace, and most were conventional store applications with plugins for marketplace functionality, which i didn't like very much. Sharetribe provided me the exact service i was looking for, a dedicated platform for marketplace development, setup and integration without the unnecessary hassle of multiple plugins and add-ons to have a functional marketplace with conventional store development apps.

Cons

My major concern with Sharetribe was the pricing, a store is something many people use experimentally, and thus, is not cost effective for most users just starting out to test the waters of e-commerce. It was a major turn off for me initially.