4,4
4,4
Jason P.

Zero Complaints

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Documentation of customer systems is a nightmare. A) You've got to have a centralized place where your staff can access it, B) That data needs to be secure, C) There are not many affordable AND secure options for small businesses like ours. PassportalMSP has solved all of these issues in one go. We are now migrating all of our documentation into Passportal with ease and it's actually USEFUL to keep up and running as we go about our day supporting clients.
My sales rep has been amazing! Highly communicative, quick to respond, ensures I've understood how the system works for when I want to start reselling password security to clients.
Onboarding was a breeze. By the time I had scheduled my onboarding session, however, I had already begun utilizing the system and my customizations were as they would have recommended. A very intuitive system to use!
Pricing is spot on as well. Add to the fact I can resell to clients as part of a service bundle or otherwise, and eventually the service pays for itself. You can't go wrong with that.

I highly recommend giving it a trial, if you're struggling with centralized documentation and password management!

Pros

Highly intuitive interface, easy browser integration, plenty of options to customize data entered into the system, data is connected quickly to other relevant data to navigate client documentation quickly, password management has been spot on with little to no issues. Recently learned I can integrate it with customer AD networks and manage account resets from within my own system!

Cons

As of yet, clients cannot access their documentation we record. This is supposed to be coming in the future, however. Also waiting for documentation access in the mobile app, but I can forgive as I know progress doesn't happen overnight.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Has potential but not there yet

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

We used Thycothic Secret Server for password management and SharePoint for documentation. We were looking for a tools to help improve documentation and found IT Glue first , which seems to be a mature solution, but the sales resps (specially since the product belongs to Kaseya) are jerks and they want to charge an arm and a leg besides locking you up on a contract for years.
In our search, we found Passportal. It looked like IT Glue six years ago and the sales rep made a ton of promises about the development team working on "tons" of new features".
The password manager is good, we like the mobile app; but it is slow and the UI doesn't flow.
The documentation part is not ready yet. We tried to use and it doesn't give us the "efficiency" e were looking for. We went back to SharePoint and hope that SolarWinds brings this product up to speed.

Pros

The mobile app to see passwords while on the field. +1 for MFA support.
Ability to request access to passwords for L1 techs and they can be assigned permanently or temporarily. The is no report about this, thought.

Cons

It is supper slow. To get one password you have to navigate through folders and it takes 3-5 second to load a page. The search engine should default to current customer and keep that setting until its changed. It should remember your last folder, etc.
All the documentation part is still not mature as rivals like IT Glue:
- Default templates don't have the fields we need, and if we modify them, we can not link them from passwords anymore. There is no way to go back.
- Domains don't allow to enter custom DNS records, and they don't have snapshots; so if somebody changes your DNS zone, there is not way to know what was there before.
- There is not alerts for domain or certificates about to expire.
- SOP Documents don't allow inheritable templates. You need to create the same document for each client for common procedures.
- No reporting. Only for passwords. The "runbook" is just a dump of all documents/assets.

The feedback option doesn't show dates, so you don't know if a feedback or a idea you are going to vote for has been there for years or days.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Michael F.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

From implementation to party of our daily rotation

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

The subfolder/search issue gave a bad first impression for myself and my staff of the product. The inability to automate the backup with 2FA is a major issue.

Pros

Once we removed the subfolders and placed all of the passwords at the root of the clients it works just as we need it to on the web and mobile apps for quick access to users and passwords.

Cons

There is an ability to create subfolders for each client but when you have a number of subfolders for all clients it breaks the search function eliminating the possibility of using the subfolders.
There have been 2-3 major outages in the 8 months we have been using this application. This increases the need for constant backups which can only be done via an application run manually.
Support was not aware of the ability to run the backup application from command line which has instructions in text file in the same folder as the application itself.
Unfortunately you can't run a backup via command line and automate it (batch file, scheduled task, etc.) with 2-factor authentication enabled (which we HAVE to have enabled) so you would have to run the backups manually. If there is ever an update to a password between backups and there is an outage then the staff does not have access to the updated password until the service is restored.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Andrew F.
Industry: Computer Networking

Pretty good so far.

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

Being able to collect user passwords from my team automatically without us having to remember to document everything has been pretty helpful.

Pros

It was quick and easy to setup and deploy on my systems and customer systems. Being able to see who accessed a password and when is also pretty huge for audits.

Cons

There are some things that can't be changed after you set them, some of the setup is not super intuitive or flexible. Things like assuming the customer has a person who can administer the service onsite and forcing you to have at least 1 site administrator per customer when in reality, there are probably a number of companies that don't have a person in house suitable to be the site administrator.

Integration with N-Central doesn't seem there quite yet, but we're hopeful they'll get it working properly soon enough. You can access and copy the passwords from the Take Control, but it won't actually paste the passwords into the system it seems.

Kyle B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Passportal has organize and streamlined my MSP

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Passportal Ocular, Docs, and Sites has really helped my MSP mature and I'm very thankful to have it!!

Pros

I love many things about Passportal, but my favorite one is the 'Site' feature. Being able to securely share the entire password database with the PoC at each client is a major game-changer for my MSP. It adds visibility to the relationship. A lot of clients with outsourced I.T. feel like they are in the dark and kind of held hostage with their own environment. The Site feature bridges that gap and helps keep the client in the loop and feel like they've retained some ownership over their environment. Can't wait until the full documentation platform can be shared with the client!!

Cons

The biggest change I would make would be the ability to edit and change what configurations are listed in the menu tree under Core Items, Trackers, Apps & Services, & Others. I'd like to be able to move these around, rename them, add additional, etc.

Kevin K.

Passportal gets a pass

Reviewed on 2020/01/27

We have solved our password management needs and documentation for clients in one spot and hope to solve more once we optimize the use of the system more.

Pros

I like how many features are combined in one solution from password management to documentation to offering portals to employees and clients easily.

Cons

The organization method of the system is not very logical. I do not like how you have to create a vendor and then a contact and that the vendor list is pretty much global and not specific to company. Also the agent on the servers do not seem to work correctly and we still do not see them functioning as they should. After contacting support we have decided to table fixing this since no one is in need of it at this time. I also do not like the addon in the browser it autofills 2FA and creates login issues instead of seamless logins.

Kendall P.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

This software has been a life saver in terms of saving time and money. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

I really like that all my clients information is readily available in 1 place. I don't have to hunt through pages of documentation to find a password, IP address, how to article or anything. All information is laid out in a standard format

Cons

the integration with ConnectWise Automate and Control seems a little delayed. and sometimes doesn't show up at all if the serial number isn't populated in Automate.

Kelly speers I.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Passportal Ocular +Docs is helping us prevent brain drain

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

our documentation and password management are kept up to date allowing our contractors as well as the outsourced teams to know what we have in place.

Pros

How easy we keep records of our client's setup and secure their credentials.

Cons

there is a bit of a learning curve but support is helpful getting over the humps.

Tom S.

Enterprise password management

Reviewed on 2020/02/19

Very please with the solution, it makes it easier and more secure to login to multiple customer environments.

Pros

I was involved in choosing this solution for our organisation and chose passportal because it is the only true enterprise password management solution on the market. I like that you can organize your credentials by company, that there is a plugin for connectwise control, and that you have the option to share the credentials with the customer themselves.

Cons

There is no way to permanently delete something as a user, you have to get in touch with support to do this. This is essential for GDPR

Joseph M.

PassPortal

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

We have been able to centralize and secure passwords for our company. This product has also helped secure our clients passwords for internal use as well provide a portal for our clients to use which helps provide value to our clients.

Pros

What I liked most about Passportal is how you can manage your clients. I like that i can private label the product for our company. The mobile app is great and very handy and works well. Securing our clients passwords has been a huge benefit.

Cons

Initial setup was not so intuitive and needed to run through the training twice.

Michael P.

Good bang for your buck

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

It's a solid product at a fair price.

Pros

Good documentation is key to running a successful MSP and PassPortal allows you to keep good notes for both your team and your clients in a secure manner. It's as comprehensive as their largest competitor, IT Glue, but significantly less and with only a month to month commitment.

Cons

It's still not inexpensive, but it's necessary as you scale and mature your MSP. It's also a major undertaking to get setup, but there are good resources to get you up and running.

Michael M.

Very happy with Passportal

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Pros

It forced us to develop good habits. We previously documented in the site config section of autotask which was functionally no different than a notepad file. Passportal's structure of templates and linking forces us to put in more information which leads to better notes.

Cons

There are some customization aspects which are still lacking, but are on the roadmap.

Jay A.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Best tool in our arsenal

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

We work with dozens of tools and passportal has easily been the most useful one. We have had to call in for technical support twice and both times our issues were handled on the first call.

Pros

Our passwords are secure and we have the ability to share those passwords as needed to clients. Password management has always been a nightmare but now it couldn't be easier

Cons

We add our client domains in and have the ability to see expiration dates but there is no way to run a report on all domains to see all expiration in one view.

Chris B.

MSP Password and Security

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Overall great experience, it helps us achieve some GDPR compliance and audit ability of our customers as well as a central store for documentation

Pros

The audit report of known password by user and the ability to change windows password

Cons

The fact that single sign on and ad sync is not an option at the moment

Ryan C.

PassPortal Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

Pros

The reporting capabilities are pretty good. The idea of Docs is really good, but needs some work.

Cons

It's pretty slow going between sections and clients.
While there are a lot of integrations, there are no ways that I've found to bulk edit imported assets, or merge duplicate assets.

Runbooks don't export long sentances properly, they don't word wrap well. For instance a long URL in a text field exported to a PDF would go off the page

Lucas P.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Passportal

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

Even prior to the acquisition, Passportal had excellent customer service and support. Their employees truly stand behind and understand the platform. SolarWinds will only improve that great, baseline technology and continue to give great support.

Pros

The functionality and capabilities that are meant for Managed Service Providers are top notch.
Administration, implementation, and set up was simple.
AD and Chrome browser extension integrations were effortless/

Cons

There are some small kinks to still be worked out: some User/Password fields don't populate, a few newly created credentials don't auto-save, some small UI issues with extension

Eddie P.

Using passportal with 500 end users

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

Pros

The great thing about this software is that it seems pretty intuitive, I like the import feature for the passwords it works really really well. It has two factor authentication of course which is a requirement. lastly the windows sink although it took a bit of time to figure out exactly how it worked is extremely nice.

Cons

when we first reviewed this software it looked like the search feature was extremely powerful however after using it for a while it isn't as powerful as I'd like. Secondly there's no way to move items around so if I create an item in one folder I can't move it to the other without doing it one by one there's no mass feature there's also no document import feature which would be nice that being said importing or rather copying and pasting from word or even from a website works extremely well

Jason C.

Clarity review

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

Passportal has been an easy tool for our team to use and has forced us to better manage passwords we use for our tools and access to our customer environments. Its another tool to help us improve the security we need for our client environments.

Pros

Software is easy to use and provides an audit trail for password activity. Integration with Automate is an valuable feature for our use of the tool.

Cons

Would like to see configurations between ConnectWise Manage and Passportal so that we don't have to copy information to Passportal.

Robert M.

Lost promises

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Pros

Password management and integration with connectwise control

Cons

Unable to create folders to organize articles.
Unable to update passwords through connectwise automate.

Tim G.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Using Passportal has enhanced our ability to keep client passwords secure. Since there is documentation as well we are able to keep almost all of our information in Passportal making information more easily accessible.
The ability to use Passportal with Screenconnect has been an added bonus as it makes logging into systems much quicker than before.

Pros

The website is very easy to use. The plugins for ScreenConnect and Microsoft Edge work very well and make me and my team more efficient.
The password sync with servers has helped a lot with user support.

Cons

The plugin for Firefox doesn't work very well. The app on the iPhone only has access to passwords and none of the documentation.
At times the server password sync can be buggy but it is easily fixed with a reinstall of the software.
The customization of the documentation is a little lacking but not too bad.

Austin F.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Excitement for future features.

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Working with Passportal has been quite positive. The application is fairly intuitive and theirs always someone willing to help.

Pros

Passportal makes managing passwords for hundreds of clients simple.

If a question arises, phone support is rarely longer than a 15 minute wait. Support staff is always courteous and wanting to help find the answer best suited for the scenario.

Cons

Features could be more fleshed out such as setting default properties for folders, but this is only a temporary issue since we’ve been informe by Passportal that this will someday roll out to customers.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Good password management tool, fair documentation platform

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

Overall our experiences with Passportal (previous to being bought by SolarWinds) has been positive. While there have been some issues they have addressed them and the product has continued to grow substantially since we've been onboard.

Pros

It does a good job of keeping login information for various customers in a central, secure, managed location. It allows you to restrict access to specific clients to specific people or teams and tracks every time a technician has accessed a password so you know what needs to be rotated if they depart.

Cons

The browser plugin is tolerable but not great.

Tracy W.

Functional with Issues

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Pros

The Search and Password Generator features are convenient and useful. Being able to keep my passwords in a different vault than the company passwords is great. I also like that I can share my username and password info with an individual without have to make it public for the entire company.
Negative issues experienced when we first rolled out Passportal no longer happen and the fact that Passportal has 'fixed' these is considered a big Pro in my books! (IE: Organization Code would not save, credentials would not populate even though the URL matched).
Happy to have a Canadian offering such as this!

Cons

The set up and transition to Passportal was not smooth, which may have been a training or implementation issue, but it was frustrating out of the gate due to issues that now do not seem to happen (see Pro comments).

Nick R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Changed the way the business operates.

Reviewed on 2019/07/26

The software has enabled our business to organise, check and collate all our clients documentation and credentials in one place. This means our technicians are spending a lot less time searching for information, so overall efficiency for our customers has been greatly improved. Having the ability for our technicians to have their own secure vault for corporate credentials has also improved our overall security.

Pros

Access to the portal on any devices at any time.
Portal is well designed and extremely fast to use.
Ability to store credentials and documentation in the same portal is amazing, plus the ability to link documents and credentials in revolutionary for us.

Cons

After using the software for nearly 6 months we have found no issues.

Ronald B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Fairly new, but very technical user

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

We were LastPass users for 5 years. Passportal is definitely an upgrade.
However, LastPass' extensions seem to be more mature and compatible.

Pros

- Very well thought out and robust feature set
- Portal layout
- Global search with options
- AD integration

Cons

- Browser extension incompatible with Duo 2FA for certain sites
- Organization key requirement. It resets on its own and I don't like storing it somewhere else
- Passportal extension doesn't always prompt to add new sites, and clumsy when it does. If you accidentally click off the extension without saving, you lose anything already typed.