GiveSmart

Mobile bidding and event management software for fundraisers

Crystal
Crystal
  • Used for 2+ years

Gesture offers excellent professional software with outstanding customer service.

Reviewed on 2017/10/31

Pros

Gesture's software is user-friendly, fun to utilize and has a clean, professional look. I thoroughly appreciate Gesture's frequent software updates. They are continuously in search of even better ways to improve upon the customer experience, which they communicate through their Gesture Innovation Center emails. I believe that they value customer opinions and implement suggestions, accordingly. As an event planner, other companies often approach me, but none offer the experience Gesture has given my clients over the years. Our account manager, Allie Erickson is on top of our every need, patient, accessible, friendly and helpful. Our on-site manager is thoughtful, communicative, professional and kind. The Gesture team is trustworthy, diligent and fully dedicated to their customers. Every year, our attendees highly rate Gesture in our post-event survey. We have remained loyal to Gesture for many years and will continue for many more to come.

Cons

I would like to remain logged onto the system longer, but I understand that the system logs me off for security purposes. I really don't have any complaints.

Seth
  • Industry: Fund-Raising
  • Used for 1+ year

Great software for Online Benefit Auctions

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

They have a great costumer support team as well as on site team. Have had nothing but good experiences with their software and team.

Pros

I like that you can have multiple photos per auction item as well as items can be in more than one Category! These are GREAT features that separate their product from others.

Cons

The price is a bit too high for a lot of my clients, especially if its for a one off event.

Auctria, Greater Giving and OneCause

Reasons for Switching to GiveSmart

Due to their sales team, support team, and ability for items to be in more than one category and have several photos.
Lillian
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions
  • Used for 6-12 months

First-time mobile bidding user

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

Online technical troubleshooting is minimal and mostly limited to references to existing articles. Introduction to our on-site event lead was too late, and staff/volunteer training was therefore delayed. More pre-event communication and training with our direct event lead would have been helpful. The customer service provided by GiveSmart staff at registration was poor according to guest feedback. There was little effort in trying to understand the purpose and scope of our event and our intentions in how to use GiveSmart to facilitate our vision. Many guests had trouble with mobile bidding, but did not receive adequate support from GS staff. We instructed on-site GS staff about specific check-in procedures that were ignored; GS staff had pressured guests to provide credit cards despite our instructions.

Pros

Relatively easy bidding, data readily available for auction items, ability to import registrant data with custom fields

Cons

Page customization is relatively inflexible given our organization's needs. Any changes to auction item description input and packaging is tedious given that you have to un-package items to make more extensive changes to individual items. The donor recognition is automated so it's prone to errors. Auction item restrictions are not readily visible on the mobile site for bidders. Item photos can't be saved from the platform. Item certificate and acknowledgment letter formatting is inflexible and flawed. Funds to account are not easily distinguishable between auction and donation, which does not help our accounting.

Recommendation
Maggie

Make your auction run seamlessly!

Reviewed on 2021/12/07

Excellent! No complaints.
We highly recommend this over similar products.

Excellent! No complaints.
We highly recommend this over similar products.

Pros

We have used GiveSmart for several years for our Gala auctions and we have had wonderful experiences with the software. This has made our auction seamless to run, and the checkout is simple to use. All of the reporting is very intuitive and the support staff is helpful is you have questions.

Cons

GiveSmart used to send staff to help run your events and we are told this is no longer the case. We liked having their team available to help at the in person events.

Greater Giving and OneCause

Reasons for Switching to GiveSmart

The staff support was helpful and the product was easy to use and implement.
Anna

First Time Admin and I am already loving it!

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Pros

Everything is centrally located on the campaign dashboard and you can use it with other events as well. Allows for ease when trying to organize many events.

Cons

Because there are so many features to this software, the learning process is a little daunting. However, once you get through it you'll have all you need to make sure that each campaign is successful.

Chelsea

GiveSmart Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

So far my experience with GiveSmart has been great!

So far my experience with GiveSmart has been great!

Pros

I like the fact that it is very user-friendly. There are various webinars that are helpful, videos that are always accessible, and the GiveSmart helper is very nice.

Cons

I wish that this software was easily implemented into DonorPerfect.

Silent Auction Pro

Reasons for Switching to GiveSmart

We liked the professionalism of the GiveSmart team members.
Joanna

Good product for basic fundraising

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

Givesmart has helped us to run virtual events and campaigns more smoothly. The reports allow for very easy access to attendees and donors.

Pros

The Givesmart platform is fairly easy to use and intuitive. Customer service is very responsive to questions.

Cons

I wish there was more options for customizing text and layout within the pages. Adding photos takes a lot of playing with as they look different live than on the admin side. Also, the photo size limit is challenging. More customization of donation pages would be helpful as well as adjusting sizes of the pages.

Meghan
Meghan
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Worth the investment to skyrocket your event fundraising!

Reviewed on 2017/10/31

Pros

Ultimately, it has very clear ROI for the agency. The transition from paper building to mobile has drastically increased our pre-event and day of event fundraising. My favorite part about the software is the increase in funds collected the night of the event. It was incredibly unfortunately how much staff time we had to dedicate post event to collecting money, for many of our events we not have 100% funds collected the night of the event, which frees our staff up to focus on thanking donors. Lastly, the interface is very easy to understand and navigate. We have a number of events that have more mature attendees, who were skeptical when we began to make the transition from paper to electronic. After one use they all required we use the technology at future events. This is also a credit to the Gesture onsite staff who really meet the attendees where they are at and give extra attention when needed!

Cons

I guess my comments would be both a pro and a con. The fact that Gesture is constantly evolving and improving the technology it can sometimes be hard to keep up with all of the current offerings and capabilities as a client. This is one of many vendors you work with so it can be hard to keep yourself educated. Although, this is when you really rely on your account manager to relay this information to you, which our, representtaive, does a wonderful job.

Karen
Karen

Great company, easy to use, lots of great features!

Reviewed on 2017/10/31

I have been able to generate reports that I need for sharing with my committee and for tax letters. Also, the on-line bidding system is a favorite of our guests. I love the messaging too. It allows me to send messages to my guests pre, during, and post event.

Pros

I love that you can generate reports (I use Excel) with information you need for money raised on tickets-silent-live-raffle items, $ raised by donor, FMV vs what was donated for tax purposes, and the list goes on. The spreadsheets can be sorted as you like for your purposes. I also like the messaging. You can send out text messages to your guests for reminders like auction open for bidding, parking, auction closing, links to photos post event, etc. You can also generate tax letters from the site. A lot of great features!

Cons

The only thing I wish it could do is generate tax letters for each guest separately. If you need to make a change for one guest, you have to generate all letters as they go into a single PDF file. You can't just generate them for one guest. Not a major problem, just wish it was a feature. Overall it is a great system!

Response from Community Brands

Karen -

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We will let our development team know of your suggestion! We love working with Folds of Honor Chicago and look forward to many more incredible events!

Amy
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Givesmart for fundraising

Reviewed on 2023/07/20

Pros

Givesmart's platform looks great on the user end. it had all the functionalities I was use to and the price was better. Once I got used to the back end, I was able to set up my site easily

Cons

There is a strong learning curve (at least for me) and I felt it was not as user friendly as other platforms. Some things were not very intuitive and took a lot of trial and error to figure out. Learning the system was time consuming and many features are still not available.

Stephanie

Limited functionality and customization

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

I wish the people selling the product and facilitating its use had actual fundraising experience

Pros

My staff had used it before and thought it was easier to use.

Cons

Lacked basic software capabilities and extremely limited customization

Classy and OneCause

Reasons for Choosing GiveSmart

Because my staff preferred this platform

Reasons for Switching to GiveSmart

Because my staff requested it and my price specifications were met.
Lina

Gala 2019

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Unfortunately, it wasn't a good experience as we had a lot of damage control we had to do due to the automated emails being sent out through this software.

Pros

I like the ease of use in uploading auction items. I also like the customer service we received when we had questions.

Cons

It sent out notices to our guests (when we were changing their seats on the seating chart, etc.) without our knowledge. It also sent out invoices and receipts without our knowledge at the end of the gala (there were some whom we were working on case-by-case basis).

Also onsite registration was not easy to do through this software.

Reasons for Choosing GiveSmart

We had been using 501 and it was acquired.

Reasons for Switching to GiveSmart

We thought the transition would have been easier from 501.
Amanda
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great for in-person events, still working out the virtual event kinks

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

Overall, I would recommend GiveSmart, especially as I know they will continue developing their software to provide better solutions for virtual events. It is really easy to set up your site and auction, and once users are in it is easy for them to use as well. The account managers are really fantastic and willing to help you through any questions or customizations you want to try. Unfortunately, in a virtual setting, it seems less risky to run the site and auction yourself on the day of the event. I appreciate their display, reporting and communication options.

Pros

This software is extremely easy to use from the administrative side. I like how easy it is to upload and edit auction items and do small customizations to the page to display information and even things like sponsor logos. The display for a live fundraising appeal with all the names and real-time amounts is great. I like being able to send texts very quickly. The reporting function is amazing. There are so many different types of reports to really be able to analyze the data. I like being able to livestream a youtube video with the presentation view. The customer support team is fantastic. I am excited to use the new Champions feature for peer-to-peer fundraising.

Cons

The switch to virtual events has created some kinks that need to be worked out. Whereas they typically were registered ahead of time by us as being on the guest list, or could register at the door, in a virtual setting they had issues registering themselves, especially if they were trying to register for a second event. It is not very intuitive to sign in if you forgot your password. I wish that you could customize the fonts and the order in which ads are displayed. I also would like to be able to send an email through Givesmart that would show up as coming from me so it would be less likely to be missed by event attendees. While the support team is fantastic, the on-site/day-of specialists can be hit or miss in their effectiveness.

Amazing event support

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

GiveSmart provides much needed day of event support as well as an easy to use interface for auction bidding. Reporting has helped ease the closeout process and assure everyone receives their items and we receive payment. They send continuous follow-up to donors for payment post event. You also have access to crowdfunding for 6 months after your event has ended.

Pros

Easily create auction website to link to your website. Bidders receive texts when they have been outbidded. You are able to create endless silent and live auction items for your page. Event support is so responsive and you are able to customize your support needs for in state and out of state events. Their team arrive to your event with ipads to complete donor bidder profiles on site. They will come to your booth in exhibit hall and encourage people to register for bidding. They are super friendly and outgoing and are great as live auction spotters. They raise far more than their cost and double our giving. You are able to even enter in different pledge amounts as donation items on the auction site.

Cons

They are a little costly however it's worth it for a smooth, successful event. I do wish the website was a little more attractive and grouped the silent and live items together. The items appear kind of small and cramped together.

Shelley
  • Used for 2+ years

Decent bidding software, horrible customer service

Reviewed on 2020/10/22

Up until this year I have been pleased with GiveSmart. We have been GiveSmart customers for several years, starting out with 501 and then converting platforms to GiveSmart. I have been extremely disappointed with GiveSmart's customer service during the pandemic. They will not budge on previously signed contracts- despite live events (still several months out) being canceled and the GiveSmart team not being allowed to travel. I even asked about just extending our contract so that we can continue to use GiveSmart at a future event (2022?) but even that is apparently not an option- our only option is to be held to a contract and lose our deposit on an event that can't happen. Sad to think they are willing to lose a customer rather than even attempting to work with us.

Pros

Bidding functionality is great with GiveSmart. The SetUp is easy- as long as you are ok with their preformatted template- the majority of the pages are all formatted and can not be customized, even something simple like trying to move one section up or rearrange various sections on a webpage is simply not possible.

Cons

Very little customization. Not user friend for virtual events- great for bidding but does not allow streaming or actual event coverage. In order to host a virtual event a secondary software also has to be used to actually stream/ cover the event.

Cleve
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Covers All The Bases

Reviewed on 2020/10/16

Not a fan of the fact that someone on our dropped the fee for user support and had us go DIY but that's on us and I made it work anyway

Pros

Fairly easy to figure out. With enough lead time a and lab scenario deployments most folks can work it out.

Cons

Little cludgy trying to get the card readers and IPADs. Come on now, one stop shopping. E en if you use two vendors you can mask that with software so that we don't have to know.
I have had many complaints from folks trying to purchase the online raffle tickets. Once they click the buy they get the message that KS for your purchase. They have actually added multiple tickets to their cart trying to figure out how to actually purchase the tickets. You should change the phrase to "you items have been added to your cart" and NOT thank you for the purchase. Or add verbiage that says now click the "Pay" button to continue.

BiddingOwl.com

Reasons for Switching to GiveSmart

Better pricing model and had seen it before
Kierstin
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Bad decision to purchase

Reviewed on 2022/10/13

This was one of the worst technology purchases I have made with an organization. I regret bringing my team into this and spending a lot of money for very limited use cases and poor customer support.

Pros

I liked the ability to manage event registration, seating, and event fundraising in one place.
I liked that sponsors, vendors, volunteers, and attendees could all have their own registration page for the same event.

Cons

We did not use the Auction component and actually opted for pen and paper after realizing the Givesmart Auction functionality. It does not look appealing or feel easy-to-shop for an attendee who is immersing in the software during the event.
There was almost NO customization available for fundraising for units of impact as opposed to dollar amounts. The user (me) had very little ability to redefine an event attendee's experience on the platform. I had to spend weeks if not months requesting very simple changes to the giving forms.

My experience with customer support was poor. They would reach out to me a few weeks before my event to see if I was using all the software features available and push me to integrate them that late in the project. There seemed to be no consideration for the user and where they are in the planning process versus what sales objectives they needed to accomplish before my renewal period arrived.

Camellia
  • Used for 6-12 months

Auction & Reservations

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

GiveSmart was such a game-changer for our event. It streamlined the entire evening and provided a smooth way for our guests to interact with bidding, and our team to coordinate the winning details. The reports were a great feature, and having the details instantly was a huge win. Our account manager and the support staff in the chat feature were always very responsive and helpful.

Pros

We love the functionality of live-time updates in a program that tracks and manages the bidding at our auction. It's wonderful to streamline both bidding participation and ticket reservations all in one place. And the support team at the start and end of the night is a great feature to have day-of.

Cons

There are a few functionality pieces we wish we could have customized to our specific group. Not every component of the reservations process is editable, and that would have been helpful. The support staff was great to have on-site, but some of them seemed very confused by the program and the flow of our evening. It would be nice to have slightly more aware team members to help, or even a training with them the day before the event so everyone was on the same page. A few of the support team members gave inaccurate information to our guests.

Kirby
  • Used for 1+ year

Worth looking into

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

Pros

I like that you can use it for multiple fundraising campaigns. I also liked the presentation view so participants can bid and watch simultaneously on one screen.

Cons

A little clunky. Not super user friendly. I needed guidance and tips and tricks for best practices but I don't feel like I really received that. I feel like there were a lot of features and customization options within the site that I didn't take advantage of because I didn't know how best to utilize them. I also didn't find the help pages that useful which was where I was directed to everytime I asked for help. They need to be more descriptive overall. I also didn't realize that our tax preferences weren't properly set up until after the event was over and it was too late to do anything about it. My nonprofit ended up eating the tax that should have been charged to the purchaser (according to the law) and we lost over $1000 having to pay that bill ourselves. I would suggest including this to planning agendas for future events. Or reset the default.

Linda

Ease of Event Management

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

The experience with Givesmart has been very good so far. The support team is always good about answering questions or getting back to me quickly when we are the middle of an event crisis. We have used the on-site staff to help us at the live events and I cannot say enough wonderful things about how smoothly our event ran, the helpfulness of the staff and the ease of keeping the data accurate during the event.

Pros

The software is pretty user friendly. There are various options for reporting tools to access the data stored per event which makes it handy for when I need to reconcile an event.

Cons

The option for customizing the home page is still not as easy to arrange as I would like it to be.

Val

Great System

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

GiveSmart support is always quick and helpful. Overall GiveSmart works for us, but I wish it was a little more user friendly on the admin side for sponsorship groups and groups of tickets.

Pros

This system works very well for us for its silent auction capabilities. Easy to use and increased our revenue from a paper system. Also great for instant buys (wine pull, raffle tickets) and donations. Easy to use system for guests.

Cons

I wish there was more flexibility in the ticket purchasing side. Guests that are part of a group of tickets that have been pre-purchased are not able to go on to update their own information. This makes the check-in process longer as we try to capture the information that is needed (addresses). Did not like having to buy their specific swipers at such a high cost to use once a year.

Chris
  • Industry: Fund-Raising
  • Used for 2+ years

Great way to improve your auction

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Overall, this software has helped us organize our dinner auction better, have a faster checkout and engage our guests earlier.

Pros

Easy to use. Downloadable reports. Mobile friendly

Cons

Entering items and descriptions are very time consuming. IT would be nice to figure out a faster and better way to do this

Mary
  • Used for 2+ years

Gesture helped to organize our large event planning and provided great customer service.

Reviewed on 2017/10/27

I have recommended this product to quite a few non profits for the ease of use and the fact that it combines several event planning tasks into one platform.

Pros

The software allowed us to get rid of excel sheets and a separate ticketing vendor. We like the auction capabilities and simplicity of use. We like that Gesture makes enhancements and improvements based on user feedback. We like the ability to use the helpdesk chat function when we have a question. We like the dashboard and reports. Unrelated to software , but a nice customer service perk is that you have a rep designated to you.

Cons

A few improvements can be made (as with any software) and when I suggest them, they are escalated.
I have been very pleased over the years and plan to continue to use Gesture.

Ben
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for 2+ years

Such an upgrade from doing an auction on paper. Can't believe we waited so long to make the...

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Ease of use and real time results. Also having GiveSmart employees at the event.

Pros

Having used this 3 years now, I appreciate being able to access previous years' info and descriptions. The reporting functionality is fantastic and I love being able to see results in real time.

Cons

1. I wish we could have several screens for the same item. Silent Auction packages are sometimes made up of a few items and it would be nice to showcase those items visually on more than one available page.
2. Similarly, the automated process of creating table tents/placards for your project is not ideal. The available space for an image is too small, as is font size. You don't want people squinting at your package descriptions.

• Industry: Sports
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

GiveSmart Changes the Terms of Agreement without Notification!!!

Reviewed on 2022/05/24

I would never recommend working with GiveSmart. The customer service is awful and the company deceives their clients.

We signed up on a year-to-year annual renewal and did for 3 years in a row. We chose to cancel our year-to-year deal this year and provided over 30 days notice of cancellation as per the terms of the original and annual agreement.

GiveSmart asked us to renew 3 months early in 2021 and changed the annual agreement to a multi-year agreement without notification the terms had changed prior to renewal. They say we are locked in for two more years with this service. Our leadership is not happy with GiveSmart's business practices and the company should be ashamed for deceiving their clients into long-term agreements.

Pros

Importing items. Reporting is decent post-event.

Cons

Training could be a lot better. When asked if we could get help setting up an auction for the first time, the GiveSmart rep sent a video for us watch instead of personally helping us. The design templates are limited along with the graphics. It's not intuitive and their customer service is worthless.