Pantheon

WebOps platform for agile marketing and development teams

4,1
4,6
Rob W.

Recommended for ALL WordPress and Drupal site owners

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

The main business problems Pantheon solves are that, internally, our team can rapidly spin up WordPress sites and get right to work on client requirements. Externally, from the client's perspective, the money they pay us goes right into their site needs, plus they get a fast, secure website that can handle a lot of traffic and store a lot of media, even with just the "Basic" plan. They don't have to pay extra for things that shouldn't be add-on options, but standard, like a CDN or HTTPS. You wouldn't buy a car with a mo-ped engine or no door locks. Why would you buy a hosting plan that is slow and doesn't keep the bad guys out?

Pros

I love how it's built from the ground up to be secure and high-performing as well as having a workflow that enables me to spend less time on DevOps and more time delivering high-value business requirements to clients.

Cons

At first, I hated the fact that I couldn't install plugins and themes directly on the Live environment. Pantheon has also published numerous workarounds for various plugins that want to write to the Live environment's directories.

But after getting used to this reality, I realized that such a strict web hosting environment security protocol results in two benefits: 1) it has resulted in _not one_ Pantheon-hosted website in my portfolio ever being hacked and 2) it helps me weed out the non-secure plugins and themes that don't follow best practices on security.

Jason P.
Industry: Publishing

Love Pantheon product & company, and would highly recommend!

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

We're able to start getting into automated testing, which is something we weren't able to do with Acquia.

Pros

I love the DevOps nature of the product. Every site and environment is set up in containers and easy to duplicate.

I love their terminus program, which makes it easy to script up various things, like making backups, duplicating environments, clearing caches, and operating drush on any site/environment.

I love their technical support and every employee I have worked with. They are super-friendly, love their job, and want you to succeed.

Cons

The learning curve coming from another provider. We had to change the way we organized and committed our code. But once that was done, it has actually made it easier for us to jump into new functionality and sites.

Industry: Internet

Fantastic Platform for Drupal Developers and Owners

Reviewed on 2019/09/09

Very nice, intuitive, and easy to get started. You can setup your first project in seconds. Great not only as a hosting solution for production websites but also as an educational / training platform for web developers learning Drupal / WordPress.

Pros

Pantheon is easy to use and setup your first site on. It has good integration with popular Git platforms and its own Git. Multidev environments help to demo features easily and really benefit the QA and development workflow.

Cons

As any cloud hosting it has certain limitations due to its cloud nature.

Zahra H.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Great for dev, test and live

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Pantheon didn't fail us one bit. It was WP end to end and we loved it. Later they started drupal as well. We still miss the multidev as kinsta doesnt have it. Multidev helped us stay away from many issues from the start and yes... ruined our habit along the way.

Pros

Multidev. Without a doubt, the multidev was a feature i loved the most. We don't use pantheon anymore but its our first go-to choice when recommending others

Cons

Pricing. It became very expensive to maintain our sites on pantheon. We moved to kinsta, because it was cheaper for us.

Lisa D.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Pantheon Hosting

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Overall, we have have had a great experience with Pantheon. Pantheon is responsive, their tools are intuitive and they are great about communicating any issues that they may have and keeping us posted on resolutions. We have had no down-time since we moved to Pantheon.

Pros

Pantheon is has wonderful UI that is easy to use. I love the the development, test and live environments and how easy it is to moving code from one to the other. The automatic backups are also great and can be a life-saver when in a jam. Pantheon support threads and help are also exceptional. I've only had to contact the pantheon on chat once. They were quick to respond and pointed me in the right direction.

Cons

The only drawback I have found is some Drupal modules do not work well on Pantheon due to Pantheon's security settings. For example, exporting Drupal Webform results to CSV will not work without a patch. Pantheon is aware of the issue, and points to a user patch that does help. That said, I would rather have good security than ask Pantheon to bend its security rules for a Drupal module.

Sandra E.

Amazing Hosting for Developers

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pantheon is lighting fast hosting that is great for having several developers working on things at the same time. This allows my team to work seamlessly without causing code conflicts. It makes the production line so much more expeditious.

Pros

This platform is great for development centric needs. It provides seamless integration with GIT and allows developers to work together utilizing a multi-dev setup.

Cons

This setup can be used by anyone, but it does have a learning curve. I would not recommend it for low tech clients to utilize directly without someone techy to intervene.

Quratulain H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

The best website management platform out there

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/12/18

Pantheon remains my platform of choice to develop client sites and deploy them there. Unfortunately, their per site plan works against them in some cases where customers expect to host multiple sites within the same plan.

Pros

I love the code management and seamless transition between dev, test and live environments. It is rare to work on a platform that is both beautiful and provides tons of features and functions.

Since the code is fully locked on test and live environments, I never had problems when it came to malware, or bots attacks. Just never happened.

Cons

Pantheon revised their pricing strategy earlier this year and I had to move my sites out. Mind you, it was because my sites were going to become too costly to host their when they don't necessarily get as much traffic or get a lot of traffic but not page views.

Unless you're hosting a membership website or an ecommerce portal where the average user visits 3-4 pages, the revised plans don't make sense.

Eric A.
Industry: Internet

A WebOps platform for serious developers

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

When firing up a new customer web development project, it used to take me a half-hour or more to set up and configure all of the links in our development chain which included Git repos, deployments, server accounts, and more. Now, with a few keystrokes and clicks, I have the most robust development setup I've ever used.

Pros

I love the simplicity and workflow that Pantheon's platform enforces. Also, their command-line tool, Terminus, allows me to interact with the Pantheon platform programmatically using single commands or even writing bash scripts, which can save hours of time.

Cons

I didn't understand what a time-saver it was sooner.

Industry: Libraries
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees
Translate to English
Translate to English

Pésimo servicio a clientes

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Al querer cancelarlo después de 3 años hicieron un cargo adicional y al reclamar dijeron que no hacían reembolsos así que mucho cuidado con darles el numero de su tarjeta de crédito

Pros

Es un herramienta fácil de usar auque sus certificados SSL tienen problemas

Cons

Esconde muchas cosas cuando quieres cancelar, te secuestra información

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10