ArtBase Reviews

4.9/5 (25 reviews)
Carmen S.

Best software for dealers

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

They transfered all of my data over from an old system in about a day. They made the transition so easy. And the training was so great. They even have training videos which I go back and review all the time.

These guys are really "on it" with new technology and features, and they have made some kind of update every year since I bought the system in 2015.

You can use it on or offline. I started out offline but switched to the cloud about a year ago when we started to travel more - and we are loving it.

I would recommend it to anyone who has a gallery or a dealership.

Pros

Artbase makes my life easier! I think I'd have to hire another person if we didn't have it.

I can make and send invoices so easily.

I can send offer emails with images attached.

I do all my consignments and exhibition lists in it. Wall labels.

I even link with my website.

I really like how it shows all the information on Inventory and Contacts. So if you are looking at a person you can see everthing they ever bought, were consigned or were offered. Or on an inventory piece, you can see every little detail and bit of history right there. No hunting around for information. And every time I make a document, it gets recorded in there automatically. I don't have to remember to track things - it just knows!

Cons

It's more expensive than some, but from what I've heard from colleagues who have gotten burned by other systems, you get what you pay for. With the money I'm saving on staff time, it's worth it.

Tyler R.

Great for monitoring data

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

I have used several ArtBase competitors, and by FAR ArtBase has the best reporting. It's an easy to use solution that could be used by museums, galleries, collectors -- and, most importantly to me, for appraisers. It collects and stores information in a way that is easy to digest, and that's really rare and difficult to find in the fine-art-database world. I think their customer support team is great, too, which helps when you're working through potentially frustrating issues. Cheers!

Pros

I like the import/export features; they're extremely intuitive and save a lot of time. I have a love/hate relationship with the auto-save feature, but I think the reporting that the program generates is a great double-check on importing records. ArtBase is super easy to modify and customize, too, so it blends well with existing excel reporting.

Cons

Sometimes when you're inputting record information there is a lag time switching between records. I also wish high-res TIFF images could be imported as opposed to only JPEG files. I like metadata :) (little database joke there).

Janelle W.

ArtBase for Collection Management!

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I've been using ArtBase for my private clients for 10 years now; but, I first used ArtBase at my first gallery job in 1996! I've seen ArtBase grow and adapt their program through the years by embracing new technology and all the best art management techniques from top NYC galleries! The staff & support team are super friendly. I highly recommend ArtBase!

Pros

I use ArtBase to manage and track the collections of my clients who are Private Collectors. ArtBase allows me to produce beautiful and flexible reports, lists and documentation for my clients and customize each document to my specific client's preferences. I track locations, appraisal values, insurance, condition, conservation, expenses and all correspondence pertaining to each artwork. This allows me to provide my clients with up to the minute reporting with just a few clicks of my mouse.

Cons

There is not much I don't like about this software. It is much more user friendly than the other options out there.

Michael G.

Always ready to help and assist

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

ArtBase are a very supportive team towards their customers, who are ready to help out immediately, unless the problem is more complex, then they will schedule a time with you.

Pros

The many possibilities there are within the software... as long as it has been set up properly. It is great that it integrates reporting, accounting and inventory and can create your standard forms.
It is a well-thought through platform for galleries' usage.
ArtBase offer free video trainings to become more proficient with the software. Like with everything you want to master, time investment is everything.

Cons

The set up is time-consuming and so is learning about it, but it is worth it as ultimately you will gain time. Someone within the company needs to be the Super User so they can train the others. It is not something that you do 'in-between' 5 min here, 5 min there, you need to sit down and do it. And then of course use what you have learned!

Caitlin S.

ArtBase review - from version 8 to the present

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

I've trained more than 60 users on this software and have used the program in different galleries for over ten years.

Pros

User friendly interface that is pretty intuitive (as compared to other database systems.) It's easy enough to teach users of various skill levels how to do basic to mid-level functions. If you use the contacts, finance, and inventory modules, you can really get a good understanding of your clients and sales. There's a number of pre-built reporting tools and once you're comfortable with the fields, you can export nearly any additional data you may need or want to interpret further. The customer service has been consistently great; they are extremely knowledgeable and super friendly.

Cons

Would be nice for administrators to be able to make more edits/configurations than they can currently (name changes to field display titles, for example.)

Patricia h T.

Recommending ArtBase to everyone!

Reviewed on 2019/04/04

ArtBase has given us the ability to communicate quickly and efficiently with our clients; it keeps track of all our records of inventory, sales, locations- all the important parts of a gallery's operations.

Pros

For galleries, ArtBase is the most efficient and simplest to use. The functions are intuitive and there is no learning time. We do a lot of offers of art work by email and ArtBase links the offer with images, inventory and the clients. I can’t speak highly enough about ArtBase. The program is wonderful and keeps getting better. The people are the greatest, always there to answer any little question I have. I’ve worked with and seen the other programs and know that ArtBase is the only game in town. I recommend it to everyone.

Cons

There is nothing that I can criticize. ArtBase listens to suggestions and has adapted to the art market's needs.

Keli Z.

Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I honestly don't know what I would do without it.

Pros

I have been using ArtBase for many, many years. They adapt to the art market's needs and are always making it better. I have worked with businesses who have used other platforms and I have always suggested the switch to ArtBase, and I have been a hero! Whether you are a large or small gallery, a private dealer, or a collector, it does everything you need it to. The people (you get to speak with actual people!) at ArtBase are always responsive and will take the time to walk you through answers to even the simplest questions.

Cons

There are no actual cons. It does so much that it takes a little bit of time to understand ALL of its functions. Once you get through it all you will see that everything is intuitive.

Bo J.

The most established, robust and comprehensive art inventory database on the market!

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

I have been using artbase as a gallerist and as an artist since it’s first version in the mid-1990s and it has served my wide ranging needs exceedingly well. It has been central to my ability be organized and productive both in my business dealings and in my promotion.

Pros

It allows for totally comprehensive data to be maintained for every type of art or collectible. Built by art world people who started in galleries so it allows for very particular use. It works for more basic use as well.

Cons

It’s so in depth that it takes a little time to delve into all the levels of functionality it provides.

Geanna B.

ArtBase Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/16

Pros

The system is very helpful in tracking and organizing inventory and contacts.

Cons

It is very difficult to use for staff members travelling or using the system remotely. Customization is also very expensive.

Response from ArtBase

Dear Geanna, Thanks for your review! You mention that you are having difficulty using the system while traveling, but I see that you aren't using our Cloud version. ArtBase Cloud is much easier for people to use in multiple locations or while traveling. Be sure reach out to us if you would like more information. Thanks! ~ArtBase

5.0/10
Marcella A.

Best Gallery Software Ever!

Reviewed on 2019/05/18

Five stars! As the person who handles the financial aspect of our business, I love the ease of use of the invoicing system and the accounting reports.

Pros

Wow! This program is the best. Our company recently switched from another program, and what a difference! The tech support is the best part. They got our team trained in no time and are easy to reach and quick to ascertain and solve our issues any time we have a question or concern.

Cons

Not much. We started our business using a different program as the other was cheaper. So, I suppose, Art Base is not the cheapest, and some may see this as a con, but I promise you get what you pay for. I would actually say, in my experience Art Base is the best value product. The best deal you will get for the money you pay.

Nancy A.

Does everything I need it to do when I need it to do it!

Reviewed on 2017/07/12

Pros

Simple interface
amazing techs on call to help you
great online support
Easy invoicing

Cons

must have internet connection

Response from ArtBase

Hi Nancy, Thank you for the review! You mention that we require an internet connection. But our offline solution does not require one! Reach out to us if you'd like to explore that option: [email protected]
~ArtBase

Simone J.

ArtBase loyal advocate

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

The ArtBase team is promptly responsive, always has answers, easily understandable and immensely helpful and adaptable. I have nothing but good things to say.

Pros

I have worked with ArtBase for over 20 years in galleries, as a private a dealer and now assisting a foundation and estate planning. It is easy to use, thorough and adaptable. I wish all my clients used it.

Cons

I don't have anything to say here. Please see other comments.

Rune E.

Everything you need.

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

A registrars dream. Keep everything recorded so one can sleep at night.

Pros

Artbase got everything you need to catalog your art collection. It can store unlimited information about the artwork + clients and potential prospects.

Cons

Due to the amount of function in Artbase its quite a bit of a learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, it is smooth sailing. + AB support is always there to help you.

Alice G.

Excellent software for galleries

Reviewed on 2019/04/04

This software enables me to be the most efficient worker I can be. It saves me time which in turn makes me more valuable to my company.

Pros

Easy to use. Does EVERYTHING you need to run your business. They give you everything you need, nothing extra to buy.

Cons

Absolutely nothing. They are as perfect of a company as you can find.

Kim S.

Customer Service is a Relationship

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

Pros

Working with Customer Service is like calling up a friend and asking them to help with a project. They are super accessible and e joy to work with.

Cons

I haven't come across any cons yet! If/when I do, I'll let you know.

Comprehensive inventory management solution!

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

Robust search functionality, intuitive user interface, cloud hosting means I don't have worry about IT support.

Cons

I wish the whole industry would standardize on this platform to make cross company interactions easier.

Craig S.

A Great System for Artists

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

A Great System for Artists. It does everything I need.

Cons

No complaints. If you don't know something you can ask the support team.

Robert C.

Can't live without

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Really has focused our team and efforts and allowed us to be more productive. Nothing falls through the cracks anymore.

Pros

Its hard to explain how much this program has helped shape the way our team functions. It took a while for us to go digital due to the intensive and complicated paper system we were using. But once we took the leap to we had no regrets.

Cons

A bit pricey, and there's a learning curve at the beginning but well worth the money and time investment.

Inés P.

I am 100% satisfied

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/04/01

Pros

I am 100% satisfied with the services I have obtained from Artbase since the quality of them has been the one I expected, I do not have any complaints about their service, I recommend it widely as one of the best in their field. request their services.

Cons

I have no complaints about the site, everything has seemed excellent to me so far, I will continue to use the service for a long time.

Marlan B.

Awesome Organizational Database

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

Very easy to use
great training videos
Totally great system for artists and collectors/museums

Cons

Took a bit of time to learn
A tiny bit more expensive than other systems, but totally worth the money!

Great system for Smaller Galleries

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

Pros

The training videos are helpful and well-thought out to anticipate most basic questions. The personalized training is very good. It is a powerful system, but also works well for small galleries. The system was a great improvement for tracking images.

Cons

Like all software systems, there is a bit of a learning curve. If you don't know something you can just ask the support team. Not the cheapest system - but you get what you pay for!

Hayley D.

The best out there!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

The best UI and customer service in the world!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind - it's just great software.

Aaron P.

Art Base review

Excellent!

Pros

It's very easy to use and I found the personalized training to be very good. The online training videos are excellent and very helpful, I use them often. It's a robust system with many useful features.

Cons

It took me a little while to learn all of the features but the online training videos were very helpful with this.

Magdalena M.

A great system for galleries

Reviewed on 2019/05/18

Excellent customer service. I couldn't recommend more highly!

Pros

A very powerful program with a lot of features (invoices, email offers, accounting reports).

Cons

Took me a little while to learn all the features but training and customer service are excellent.

Margaret B.

Great support system online as well as during business hours

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2017/07/11

Pros

This is very convenient because it has 3 pricing options: 2 subscription options and 1 subscription-free option.

Cons

It's a little pricey but there are different options as far as frequency of use and degree of usage.

4.0/10