Melio

Accounts payable for small businesses

Ryan
Ryan
  • Industry: Automotive

Simple yet awesome product

Reviewed on 2023/04/04

Pros

It is nice being able to have rewards being built for credit card payments, less 1099's, and simple payment tracking

Cons

Not really friendly yet for QB Desktop users. We have a lot of features we would like including chain and price driven approval system and other nice feature would be more medium to large business friendly would be nice. If you are small business this tool is great but I see a future with this product working more and more for the medium to large business area.

Response from Melio

Hi Ryan, thank you for sharing this review. We're happy to hear you find Melio to be a useful tool for your business. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our team.

Devin
Devin
  • Industry: Wholesale

Simple and Intuitive for our growing business

They have been great to work with and support is super responsive

They have been great to work with and support is super responsive

Pros

One thing I like about Melio is a newly released feature that allows us to pay multiple invoices to one vendor by one payment. We often had to create individual payments to each vendor separately so now we can combine into one payment makes everyone's life easier.

Cons

We had issues of the preferred payment method of payment to vendors change without us making the change but that seems to be a resolved issue.

Response from Melio

Hi Devin, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you find Melio useful and are enjoying the features we offer.

Jonathan

Why use Melio with QuickBooks

Reviewed on 2022/03/31

Excelleent

Excelleent

Pros

The built-in integration with QBO and QuickBooks Desktop allow easy flow from invoice entry to payment. The ability to schedule to send either ACH or Check within QuickBooks is critical to our workflow. If we don't have the ACH info the ability to request it securely from the vendor is great

Cons

No batch payment, the ability to pay more than one bill with a single payment would be a great addition. Also showing how credits are applied to a bill would be extremely helpful. We send a "bill & applied payments" to our vendors so they will know. Just an extra step that we would like to eliminate

Darla
Darla

Took My Client's Money

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

I WILL NEVER USE MELIO AGAIN! You are like an insurance agency - you only find out how good they are when you file a claim

Pros

Ease of use................................

Cons

Melio is great if all you want to do is send out bills and have no issues besides cancelling a check you sent. However, the software started populating vendor names for vendors we NEVER did business with, which ultimately ended up with a check going to the wrong vendor. The vendor called me and notified me of the mistake, but would not cut us a check back or ACH us the money directly. Instead, they said their policy was to send the payment back via the exact same means it was sent to them...BIG MISTAKE! Melio claims they don't have the money and have no way of tracking it (even though I gave them all the info the need to search for it), and on top of that, they REFUSE TO ALLOW ANYONE FROM MELIO TO CALL ME!I have requested multiple times for a manager to call me. They even put in a call request...what happened? They would only respond via email and of course I kept getting representatives. After no less than 25 emails back and forth, I finally got a response from an "accountant manager" who told me there's nothing they can do and they are closing my case. Um, you have over $1200 of my client's money and I have requested multiple times to be called so I can discuss this issue with someone at the company in higher management, and I have flat out been denied! I CONSIDER THIS THEFT!!! Melio has stolen my client's money and won't make it right.You can't call them, and they WON'T CALL YOU! VERY UPSET WITH THIS COMPANY AND THEIR LACK OF FOLLOW THROUGH.

Response from Melio

Hi Darla, we'd love the chance to investigate this further. We don't have enough information here to find you in our system, please email us at [email protected] with "Capterra review: Urgent" in the subject line and our support team can connect with you.

Cheryl

Extremely User & Budget Friendly

Reviewed on 2023/02/03

Absolutely love this product and it’s affordability.

Absolutely love this product and it’s affordability.

Pros

This product is a great value for what it provides. We rarely pay anything for this product as it only charges on international wires and checks. Most of our transactions are ACH and free. Processing is super easy.

Cons

The only complaint I have is there is no phone support. Getting an answer to an issue is a little delayed through a ticket system.

BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable and Airbase

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Bill.com was unreasonably expensive for our volume.

Price and functionality.

Response from Melio

Hi Cheryl, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community. We're glad to hear Melio has been a great fit for your business. As for support, feel free to live chat with our customer experience team any time Monday- Friday 9am- 8pm EST. We're happy to help.

Herbert
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Painless payments for painful payees

Reviewed on 2020/12/14

Excellent

Excellent

Pros

I was able to set up payments to the very few vendors that absolutely demand being paid via ACH rather than needing to consolidate my business transactions through a software suite to make it worthwhile.
It is also incredibly affordable or free for the transactions, and there has not been problems.

Cons

There was a feature that was pretty adept at picking up an invoice PDF and setting it up as a pending bill, but the accuracy has gone down. Nothing to cry about though as I have always triple checked things!

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and QuickBooks Online

Easier and more reliable

Reasons for Switching to Melio

No need to consolidate my business into a software package that locks you into renewals. I can switch banks, accounting software, addresses etc. and Melio is just for paying bills. No need to be all things.

Response from Melio

Hi Herbert, thank you for the fantastic review. We are delighted to hear Melio has been able to take some of the pain out of making business payments - it's what we're here for. We would also like to thank you for your feedback which we will pass along to the team.

sandy
  • Industry: Accounting

Melio is a great option for sending and receiving payments

Reviewed on 2022/03/31

I have been extremely happy with the ability to have payments come directly into my bank account from the customer, and the fees are fair.

Pros

This product integrates very well with Quickbooks Online, and is fairly easy to use once it is set-up. Customer Service is great

Cons

Set-up takes a little bit of computer saavy, but customer service is very helpful. It takes a little bit longer than I would like to get the funds in my bank account after a customer has made the payment when they pay from their bank account.

Veem

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Quickbooks payments fees are too high, and the time it takes to get the money too long

QuickBooks Payments

Reasons for Switching to Melio

I did not need to process any international payments

Customer Service is not good - Service is inconsistent

Reviewed on 2023/06/01

Overall experience is that they are inconsistent and have poor customer service. Not a company or software that can be relied upon.

Pros

I like that they offer the same day vendor payment for a reasonable fee. I also like the check payment option in the event a signer is not available.

Cons

Just a buyer beware, avoid same day payments, the vendor does not receive funds when promised and they still take their money out of your bank account for the same day service.When we pay the same day processing fee it is a 50/50 shot if it makes it to your vendor the same day. Their customer service reps make excuse after excuse and attempt to blame the customer. They ask for screen shots proving what you are saying and even when provided they blame the customer. Unfortunately this exact same interaction has occurred at least 3 different times, paying different vendors, and reaching out to customer service and being treated and spoken to the same way. They also will not refund the fees when there is a service failure. They just say, [sensitive content hidden] but nothing is ever done and you will have to contact your bank if you or your vendor would like a refund. Even with the receipts they request they do not care even telling me that I should have read their policy article before using their service. We won't be using any paid methods of payment with Melio any longer because sadly they are at best dishonest in what they charge for and they don't see any problem with the way in which they do business.

Response from Melio

Hi there, thanks for leaving this review and we're sorry to hear your experience has been less than stellar. Our support team is available on live chat Monday- Friday, 9am- 8pm EST via the help center. Or please reach out to us at [email protected] and we'll be sure to look into any issues you may have.

Lisa
  • Industry: Building Materials

Helpful as can be

Reviewed on 2023/07/20

Melio is nice to sync all information of A/P and A/R to keep better track of what is paying out and what is coming in. I don't have to write as many checks and mail out invoices. I think with some work on the accounts receivable side this program will be even better. You have to wait sometimes for items to sync. Can't really complain too much when most transactions are free. That's really nice.

Pros

I like how Melio syncs with my QBO. I put in a bill and it shows up in my to pay list of vendors. From there I can schedule it to be paid and its paid on time.

Cons

Much improvement is needed in the accounts receivable. My invoices sometimes don't show up for me to send and it's hard for some of my customers to sign up to make payments to me or they don't want to give out their banking information.

Response from Melio

Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing this review and leaving this feedback. We're glad to hear you're finding Melio to be a resourceful tool. We appreciate the feedback and would like to hear more about the issues you're facing so we can help make this experience even better. Please email us at [email protected], we're happy to help.

One of the best Payment Platform

Reviewed on 2022/12/08

Overall, I am satisfied with this Software and I will surely recommend to use Melio for payment purposes. It really saves a lot of time.

Pros

Melio has easy & simple Interface which helped me to easily understand and navigate through the software. I have mainly used for payment processing and payment accounting. It really helped me alot in overcoming my payment issues & challenges.

Cons

One thing that I didn't like was the price at which it is available. I think it is expensive for small businesses. Other than that, it was really Helpful for me.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Melio changed the way we pay bills and receive payments

- Reduce waiting times for customer payments (via check) to arrive
- Cash flow leverage - I can use...

- Reduce waiting times for customer payments (via check) to arrive
- Cash flow leverage - I can use a credit card to pay my bills
- Take advantage of credit card reward programs while paying bills
- No need for us to charge customers for credit card processing fees

Pros

- I can use any payment method (all major credit cards, debit cards, bank accounts) to pay my bills
- Easy ACH payment implementation for paying bills
- I can receive payments from customers quickly, relieving them of the need to mail checks and providing various options to pay me

Cons

- it seems that many features are still in development and not necessarily thought over yet
- communication about incoming payments and their status needs to be more transparent

Andrew

Best Software For Any Business

Amazing!

Amazing!

Pros

It is very intuitive, and the integration with QBO makes AP and AR processes efficient and automated. All that with a low price makes this a win win for any business.

Cons

I would like to see more integration with other accounting software platforms like QB Desktop, Xero and SAP.

Response from Melio

Hi Andrew, we're so happy to hear that you find Melio useful and easy to use. Thank you for sharing your review with us and the community.

Mar
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Melio is the best payment processing app available for the price

Reviewed on 2023/05/06

Excellent customer service

Excellent customer service

Pros

Payment processing, Ease of use, and price

Cons

I like everything about Melio. I don't have any complaints.

Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Stripe treats small business owners incredibly bad.

Stripe

Customer service, Price, and Ease of use

Response from Melio

Hi Mar, thanks for leaving this 5 star review. We are glad to hear Melio is a resourceful tool for your small business.

Paul

When it works, it's great

Reviewed on 2022/02/04

Even though it is (mostly) free of charge to use, I have lost confidence that payments will be made as scheduled. The need to keep monitoring Melio and our bank accounts means that I am now investigating other options, even if I have to pay for them.

Pros

I wanted a way of paying my vendors by ACH. I wanted to be the one that solicited their bank details - not have the payment company dis-intermediate me. There were some bonus features: if a vendor doesn't want to be paid by ACH, I can still use Melio to pay them by check; They claimed to support international payments; I can set up multiple companies of mine on one account and have the staff of each company only access the relevant one. It's tough to argue with free.

Cons

There are some vendors that need paying every month, but the amount changes from month to month: Melio's recurring payments only works if the amount is constant, so you have to set up a payment from scratch each time. However the biggest issue is with payments that do not go through even after receiving notification that they are scheduled.....on several occasions, I have had to bring 'stuck' payments to Melio's attention. Operations typically blames it on Compliance and says they can't do anything.

Response from Melio

Hi Paul, thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review and share your feedback. We are happy to hear that Melio's ability to send payments to vendors by both ACH and paper check has been of use to you. We appreciate the feedback regarding the ability to have recurring payments be of different amounts, and would be happy to pass that along to our product team. Regarding payments that are declined by Compliance or fail to deliver to the vendor for various reasons, Melio users are sent an email notifying them of the payment failure as well as the reasoning. In order to resolve, the user must reach out to our Support team directly. If the failure reason is due to Compliance, our Support team will provide the Compliance team's contact information or escalate the issue to them. We hope this clears things up for any future issues you may run into. Thanks again for your honest feedback!

Marilyn

GameChanger for my Firm & Clients

Reviewed on 2023/05/06

Love Melio, I switched from bill.com and which I had changed sooner

Love Melio, I switched from bill.com and which I had changed sooner

Pros

I love that Melio’s interface is very user friendly, syncs with QBO, I can complete payments to any vendor or contractor with the click of a button, it’s inexpensive, payments are received timely, there are multiple payment options.

Cons

The ACH feature could be quicker is my only suggestion for improvement

Response from Melio

Hi Marilyn, thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful review. We are glad to know you're finding Melio easy to use and helpful for you business. Thank you for the payment ETA feedback, we'll be sure to pass it along.

Abdessalam
  • Industry: Civil Engineering
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Melio will make your life easier

Reviewed on 2023/02/18

Melio ensures that your payments are sent quickly and securely to your Vendors. Furthermore, Melio guarantees on-time payments every time, giving you the confidence that your payments will be received on time. Additionally, Melio offers a range of payment options, from bank transfers to mobile wallets, which makes it easier for you to make payments on the go.

Pros

The ease of sending out payments to vendors that you work with on a regular basis, as well as being able to track how much you have paid them over the course of the year for tax season simplification, is a great asset for any business. Additionally, integrating automated payments into the process can save time and make the overall experience even smoother. Furthermore, utilizing an expansive range of payment options, from mobile wallets to traditional bank account transfers, can open up new ways to pay vendors quickly and effectively.

Cons

there are very few downsides to using Melio. The system is designed to run seamlessly and any occasional issues that arise, such as old invoices being listed in the queue that have already been paid, are quickly resolved. Overall, Melio has been a reliable and efficient way to manage payments and invoices.

Response from Melio

Hi Abdessalam, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community. We are glad to know Melio has been such a great resource and we'll be sure to pass along the feedback given.

Toni

No Longer An Asset to My Clients or Practice

Reviewed on 2023/09/08

Terrible!!

Terrible!!

Pros

There is absolutely nothing I like about Melio anymore. This payment service is not ideal. Most of my clients do not use it. And for the one's who do, I am working to remove them from the platform.

Cons

Melio declines all expedited payments no matter the amount. Payments that they used to allow to be expedited that have not changed in dollar amounts or vendors, or payment accounts, are all of a sudden being declined consistently causing issues for my clients and causing my payments to be late. Again I am working to remove the remaining few from this platform and encouraging them to use other AP platforms that come with bill pay or simply use their banks. So far I've removed 13 clients and I now need to remove 4 more and I can be done with the nightmare.

Response from Melio

Hi Toni, thanks for sharing this feedback. We're so sorry this has been your experience. We would like to take a look into your client's accounts and see why these payments have been declined. However, we understand if you've already stopped using Melio. Should you decide to use Melio again down the line, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] with any questions or feedback. We want to make this a better experience for you.

Aaron

Fantastic Product

Reviewed on 2022/11/07

My overall experience with Melio has been a positive one. We have multiple locations and the approval process on each invoice being processed has been seamless.

Pros

The ease of set up and implemenation on this software is outstanding. The immediate synch with Quickbooks has been a time saver.

Cons

This software was free when we started using and now is charging per transacation. I am not a fan as part of our attraction to this software was no fee.

Cost

Response from Melio

Hi Aaron, thanks for leaving this review. We're happy to hear you are finding Melio useful and easy to use. To clarify, our new check fee covers printing, postage and handling. There is also an additional layer of security to sending checks with Melio - your bank details are never on the check, helping protect you from fraud and check forgery. Please note, our ACH bank transfer feature remains free of charge.

Jason
  • Industry: Media Production

A Cut to the Chase Solution

Reviewed on 2020/12/15

Customer service is second to none. You really get the sense that the people speaking to you care about the product and care about how you are using it. I've had several people reach out to me just to make sure everything was okay and that we were getting the most out of the product. The interface needs a little work to make it easier to use, feels a bit clunky at times, that and the other things listed above are some issues that need to be incorporated in but other than that we love using Melio for our needs.

Pros

Melio is a great product we recently had the opportunity to discover. I was very impressed at how easy it integrated to our accounting in Quickbooks. This is the main reason I found it so vital in our operation. Before we started using Melio there never really was a great solution for paying people by different means. We had some vendors who wanted printed checks and still others who preferred an electronic payment. Melio makes it easy for your company to pay people safely and quickly.

Cons

I have to say I really like the software so far but there are a couple of items I would really like to see and these items almost stopped me from deciding to use the product. First, the paper checks really need an overhaul to look more professional and branded from a specific company. I've had freelancers who wonder if the check is legitimate because it doesn't have our logo or they can't see that it's coming from us. Paper checks definitely need some work...also, the ability to run a simple payroll out of Melio wold be helpful so that you can eliminate printing checks in your office completely. It would be nice to be able to simply pay employees through Melio as well as freelancers. I know that there are work arounds, but we need a dedicated way to pay employees added.

Response from Melio

Hi Jason, thank you for posting such an amazing review. We are very happy to hear you find Melio's various payment options useful and that our service is able to save you time and hassle. Also, thank you for your valuable insights into our product - we will pass them along to the relevant teams.

Adam

Melio for Wine Retailers

See above.

See above.

Pros

-ability to use credit cards to pay distributors via ACH
-ability to earn triple points on Chase INK Preferred card since Melio is categorized as "shipping" for Chase. Don't mess around with this!
-syncing to Quickbooks invoices
-itemized credit card transactions with distributor name; easier for bookkeeper
-wonderful and responsive account rep - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Smart
-simple interface

Cons

THINGS TO ADD:
-importing vendor credits from Quickbooks to Melio
-ability to partially pay an invoice
-ability to sort invoices by date, vendor, due date, amount, etc.
-need to clearly display which store/account I'm logged in under; I have two stores and I have to click my name in the bottom left to see which store I'm logged in under

ISSUES/IMPROVEMENTS:
-better communication with accounts receivable departments at vendors; a lot of companies have Melio and have no idea what it is, don't trust payment, don't tell sales reps, etc.
-improve the speed of emailing of payees after payments are made; there is a lot of confusion if/when a payment is made
-Code for bonus categories for AmEx and Barclays business cards
-Create an Android app
-Find a way for credit card payments to hit vendors' accounts at open of business next-day
-offer promotions to be more competitive with Plastiq. Currently, Plastiq offers tens of thousands of dollars every month with 1% fees. They also only charge 2.5%...
-Find a way to make COD payments easier or more trusted with alcohol vendors

Mary
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great Product for small business owners

Reviewed on 2022/11/19

I've recommended Melio to all small business owners that I've met across the board and utilize it for all 5 of my own companies. This helps me so much in terms of organization and cash flow.

Pros

I love that I can control cash flow easily using Melio - it will remind me about when bills are due, I can easily see what I have outstanding, search for paid/unpaid invoices by vendor and plan out when my bills are best paid.

Cons

I would love to add an entry area to specify the difference between "delivery date" and "due date".

Response from Melio

Hi Mary, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Christal

Melio Makes a Good Inexpensive Bill Payment Option

Reviewed on 2023/07/27

Overall, Melio is good for small businesses and inexpensive option compared to other apps.

Pros

Melio is easy to setup and use in small businesses. Scheduling payments is easy, and it integrates with QBO.

Cons

I wish it was more detailed in setting up approvals process for employees.

BILL Accounts Payable & Receivable

Response from Melio

Hi Christal, thank you for sharing this review. We're happy to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our team.

Zane
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

A God Among Men

Reviewed on 2020/01/29

We use Melio to send all our ACH transfers. You can quickly upload and create bills and schedule payments for whenever they are due. when you send transfers via your business debit card, they arrive to your vendors NEXT DAY! It's super easy and actually fun to use.

They also have the ability to pay your vendors via credit card, so they charge your card and deliver the funds to your vendor's bank account for a small fee. It really helps us keep up with cash flow, plus the 2% back from the credit card makes the fee almost non existent.

And with the direct connection to Quickbooks Online, its super easy to sync all your vendors, bills and payments, making Melio a perfect bill management application. We'd recommend it to everyone.

Pros

- Free to use
- Free to send bank transfers
- Low cost to send bank transfers by charging a credit card
- Perfect bill management application
- Gorgeous and responsive UI
- Syncs directly with Quickbooks
- Quick and responsive support staff

Cons

No ability to pay international vendors via credit card transactions, but no one does that so not really a loss.

Karen
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Worst customer service ever!!

Reviewed on 2022/09/30

Pros

No pros at this point. I thought that this was going to be a great choice, but it is not!

Cons

I processed 13 bill payments on 9/6, the funds were withdrawn from my account immediately. I started to receive phone calls from my credit card accounts, bank, insurance companies saying that payment was never received. I immediately looked at the QBO account, then my checking account. I reached out to MELIO via a chat and email. I was able to chat with a representative who eventually told me that "Unfortunately there was a bug in the system that prevented the payments from going out." REALLY?? And you couldn't even make your clients aware of this when it was occurring or even afterwards?! NOPE, now I have incurred late fees, and penalties. I requested that they overnight mail these checks to my vendors with an explanation of what occurred on their end, but was told that there was no way for the system to expedite payments, but could give me promotions for future payments as long as I was eligible. I requested contact with someone in a supervisory role, but have never heard from anyone. Again, all their fault, but no responsibility taken on their end. This company is just a joke, and I have expressed my concern with their business practices to Quickbooks as well. If you are thinking of a billpay service--stay away from MELIO!!

Jim
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Non Responsive Support

Reviewed on 2022/07/25

We reported a very serious fraudulent activity over a week ago, since this time I have been trying to get someone associated with Melio to contact us in order to share additional information concerning this case. Trying to reach someone within the Melio organization is a joke, I am extremely frustrated by the lack response when it comes to urgent matters.

For this reason only, I would NEVER recommend anyone to use Melio. It is fine until a situation arises then you are absolutely 100% on your own. A simple call or a follow-up email from a live person versus automated responses would go a long way.

Pros

The product is easy to use, however customer support is NON-EXISTENT. There is NO WAY to reach an actual person, either via phone or "Live Chat". So far my experience with Meilo 's customer support has been absolutely horrible.

Cons

Customer Service/Support Team is unreachable & non responsive

Response from Melio

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you voicing your concerns and would love the chance to turn this experience around for you. We're currently investigating further to see if your case has been resolved or if you need further assistance. To make sure we have all the correct info, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "Capterra review". Kindly include your account name, contact details and a brief explantation of the issue you've been experiencing. We will ensure your case is placed on high priority and responded to by a member of our support team within the next 1-2 business days.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.