Travis CI

Platform for testing and deploying codes

Francis C.

review

Reviewed on 2021/02/19

It was amazing until the recent price changes.

Pros

Very easy to setup and many integration examples.
Multiple services and environments makes it quick to setup for many testing combinations.

Cons

The pricing has gone up drastically recently and without that much time to adapt.
The best way to keep services up and running without getting caught back-and-forth requests of build minutes was to move away from the service.

Adam G.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Essential for software development

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

I am able to conduct a wide variety of tasks from checking compilers, running static analysis, and building documentation.

Pros

Travis-CI was the first CI system I used on my research projects, and to this day Travis-CI still does the heavy lifting on most of my tests during Continuous Integration. It's extremely flexible; I have workflows that run static analysis, security checks, documentation builds, and more. The features and integrations with a number of other systems (GitHub, CodeCov, etc.) make this my go-to CI. I especially appreciate the support for Education customers, other CIs would be quite expensive by comparison.

Cons

Operating systems support can lag. In particular, support for modern C++ compilers can be a bit tricky (it's an old item many of us have raised). The new plans price some organizations (e.g. Boost) out of using it. Support on the MacOS images is not as robust.

Ian M.

CI tool that has a lot of value for the money

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

I started using Travis initially because I needed a way to have consistent builds of our desktop software (built on Electron). Travis has just the tools I needed to make this happen. Doing local builds of the software was processor intensive, I had to go check the status of the build and I was always changing software on my local machine so sometimes builds would fail because I changed something. Travis has completely containerized build machines so you get the same result every time. We now use it for building all our software. I don't know what we'd do without it.

Pros

* Affordable (it's priced based on users/seats)
* Documentation is solid and easy to follow. I've never needed to contact support. There's good online Q&A since Travis has a large user base.
* Versatile (whatever software you're building, there's a recipe for it)
* Github integration : you get realtime build status RIGHT in Github which is awesome, once you get your system set up, you rarely ever visit Travis again. It just works.

Cons

There's really nothing I didn't like about Travis. Some of the quirks of Electron were the trickiest things to figure out, but that's not Travis's fault. There's a little learning curve when you go from building locally to building remotely with Travis where you need to understand how to set environment variables and retrieve those values in your config/script.

Tim G.

Wolf Software Travis Review

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

We have had a very positive result with Travis and we implement it on ALL of out projects from simple link checkers to fill docker build pipelines, it gives us single point of reference and consistency in all of our projects.

Pros

One of the key things was the direct integration with github making the running of jobs seamless to the developers. The wide variety of tools and language support are also very important.

Cons

The config files can be tricky to write when trying to adopt new features.

Samwel O.

Travis CI Review

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

I have only used Travis CI on Github repositories so I am not sure how it works with other code hosting providers. In Github, It works like a charm.

Pros

Travis CI is easy to use, it has a nice and easy user interface that gets you started quickly.
Travis CI is well documented which makes onboarding easy.
Some of my associates thought that when you have private repositories, you have to pay to use it. I have been using it with my private repositories. If before you had to pay, now things have changed. It would be nice to help support the product though so that development can go on. The servers also require funds to run.

Cons

Everything is perfect as per now. I have not come across any issues.

• Industry: Insurance

An awesome tool to handle autmatic testing with Github

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

overall a great tool for running CI tests automatically.

Pros

Remove the manual work in running tests before merging code.
Also it's scalable to multiple branches and developers.
And it give viability on how the build is broken if any issues arise.

Cons

1. A bit slow comparing to running the tests on local machine.
2. Have a verbose limitation of 4MB.

Kim N.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

I'm not abusing your system! Really not! Also my new Contributors don't do that!

Reviewed on 2021/03/02

Apart from the above, i'm a huge travis-ci fan.

Pros

Declarative Flexibility specifying the context in which my software is tested

Cons

I just counted and i've created 10 support-request this year just to whitelist my peers and me (multiple times) from the abuse-detection-system. The latest one is #26838. It's really a pity for us and i would love to see this improving.
For every new contributor we need to create a new support-request and for a rapidly growing project like ours, this is really a burden.

Thembo charles L.

The best tool I've used for setting up automated tests

Reviewed on 2019/06/25

Pros

One of the best tools to integrate with github. Automatically runs you test suites everytime you push changes to your repository

Cons

The documentations is not clear on how to set up the travis.yaml file. My first time using the tool, took a long time to figure out the configurations

James francis K.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Code testing has never been easier

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

Pros

It is the first CI I used and did wonders for me. It is open source and easy to configure

Cons

I haven't figured put how to disable the email notification which can really build up in your inbox

David E.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

This rewiew plataform is exhausting

Reviewed on 2021/02/05

Pros

It is great that you help open source projects and have a lot of services and integrations

Cons

The queue time for open source projects in the free tier is HUGE, I have to wait four hours for a deployment. Im using both paid and free tier options and im strongly thinking about migrating our open source projects...

Rafael D.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

travis cl don't work

Reviewed on 2021/03/21

So far my experience has not been very good to say, because it does not work to do what I need.

Pros

I like the ease of integration with R and github.

Cons

I have not been able to make it work, and I do not understand why it is really taking me a long time.

Nicholas C.

Easy-to-use product but support for OSS failing

Reviewed on 2021/02/02

Pros

I like how easy it is to deploy and get up and running with this software and configuration files, etc (e.g. it's essentially just a commandline which is nice).

It was also really nice for all of my open-source projects while travis-ci.org was still running. I could deploy and have builds run without having to worry about money.

Cons

Ever since the move to travis-ci.com, support has been terrible and I've used up all of my free trial credits on my open-source web application's Cypress integration tests (https://github.com/tutorbookapp/tutorbook).

I contacted support 5 days ago and still haven't heard back about getting more open-source credits for my account. I seriously miss travis-ci.org (though I completely understand the problems with cryptocurrency mining, etc).

Emanuele S.

CI / CD in a simple way

Reviewed on 2021/02/02

I'm very happy about Travis, until now I found always an answer for each need I had

Pros

1. Documentation, maybe the most important value
2. Configuration flexibility in particular GIT SSH custom keys, env variables with sensitive information, build trigger (with inline configuration... very useful for testing configurations), machine SSH encrypted keys, configuration imports, custom scripts
3. Easy integration with GitHub

Cons

Permissions check (it's not so clear understand who can build, who can view build history, who can edit configuration).

Alex S.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Travis CI: One of our sharpest, most reliable, most powerful and transformative tools.

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

It's a daily productivity driver for our team. Incredibly valuable, reliable, and one of the best tools we have in our development process.

Pros

I pushed hard for my team to build our CI/CD pipeline using Travis. It is just a tremendous tool, and I'm deeply grateful that we have this tool in our toolkit.

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] said "If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first six of them sharpening my axe." Travis CI is one of the sharpest tools we have, and it's made a massive difference in speeding up our team's productivity. You guys recently gave us the option to upgrade our private Travis CI to include even higher numbers of parallel builds, which made a massive difference to our ability to grow our development team, and to increase the rate at which we build our own software.

Cons

For a while, we were working very hard on our end to try to figure out how to speed up our builds, and had to do quite a bit of work to try to optimize our software architecture to optimize around the limits on build concurrency in Travis. We made some progress on that, but it was slow going, and ultimately you gave us an option to pay for a higher degree of parallelism.

Patryk B.

Recommendation

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

Pros

It's easy to use and configure and also a nice user experience.

Cons

It's expensive in comparison to other solutions

Chris W.

Fast, free (for OSS) continuous integration testing

Reviewed on 2021/03/13

Ensuring that the master branch of my projects remains stable and of release quality, by only allowing changes that pass CI to be merged.

Pros

Web interface is fast and responsive. Builds are quite fast. It's free for OSS. Quite good documentation (comprehensive). Supports several environments, including Macs (and now Windows too).

Cons

Not so easy to determine exactly what you need to run (e.g. which packages to install, what to sudo). A simulator/interactive environment for testing would be nice!

Duncan B.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Too Expensive For Individuals ($69/month) - No Option To Buy Private Repo Credits

Reviewed on 2021/03/03

Overall decent experience with the product. But it seems like when they switched from .org to .com and changed their pricing plans it really threw people for a loop.

Pros

Really easy to use, workflow was easy and UI is nice for debugging. No complaints about the product.

Cons

Too darn expensive. $69/month is too expensive for me and the one-time credit allowance would only get me so far before I have to switch. There needs to be some way to purchase minutes/credits on a pay as you go plan or a monthly allotment on a $5-10 a month plan.

Damien M.
  • Industry: Banking

Works, but deprecated UI

Reviewed on 2021/02/03

Pros

It does the job with reliability. I have no reason to change.

Cons

The UI has not evolved for years I think. I'm constantly doing the same 10 clicks to do the same things everyday, that I could have done in 1-click with a better UI. There are no insights, no "nice to have".
It may work but I have absolutely no attachment to the product and could change without missing anything.
In fact, I'll probably rationalize the number of tools we have by switching to Heroku CI or Github Actions, since they do as much as Travis I have no need for another tool.

Carlo J.

Open Source Software

Reviewed on 2021/02/14

Pros

I used to like your approach to give back to the open source community.

Cons

That you changed your approach to giving back to the open source community.

Wechuli P.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Wonderful CI for Open-Source Projects

Reviewed on 2020/04/07

Travis CI is a great CI/CD tool that caters to most of my needs if am working for an open-source project.

Pros

- Comprehensive documentation for almost all popular languages and deployment environments
- Built-in plugins to cloud providers such as AWS, Google Cloud and Azure
- Free for all open-source projects
- Fairly easy to use and configure for almost all CI/CD scenarios.

Cons

- It can be tricky to integrate with other online repositories other than GitHub such as Bitbucket.
- You need to pay to support private builds.

Michael G.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Broken promises

Reviewed on 2021/03/18

Horrible. Broken promises. Unresponsive support. Will not use it, and I will aggressively move anyone I collaborate with off Travis as quickly as possible. Travis breaking the open-source infrastructure has already cost me days if not weeks of additional work.

Pros

Before Travis got bought out and reneged on their promise to support open-source software, it was a cornerstone of my open source work. Alas, in its current form, I wouldn't touch Travis CI with a 10-foot pole. The only reason I still interact with it at all is that one of those projects is specifically for deploying documentation via Travis. As soon as I can move the project in a new direction, I'll be done with Travis for good.

Cons

Travis broke their promise of supporting Open Source with free CI service. I requested OSS credits months ago and got no reply. It's not that the paid tiers are prohibitively expensive. In principle, I might be able to expense CI costs. However, Travis' actions have eroded any and all trust I might have had in them, so I would not do business with them at any level

David T.

One of the better CI tools out there

Reviewed on 2020/09/01

Pros

Very easy to set up, and out of the box gives me a lot of control over my deployments.

Cons

It's more expensive compared to competing tools for smaller companies.

Bruce elbert B.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Most powerful testing automation tool I've used

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

Pros

One of the most amazing tools I've ever used. It automates you testing and integration of your application and instantly notifies you when there are errors.

Cons

The build notifications to email can accumulate so much in your inbox. And the support for new users is not that good.

Praneet L.

Falling behind

Reviewed on 2021/03/20

Pros

Everything listed in the Cons section? :)

Cons

Lack of first-class support for build artifacts. The configuration format for a multi-stage pipeline isn't straightforward and a bit unusual among the competition. No support for 3rd-party extensions.

Very easy to get started and free for open source projects.

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

Pros

This is probably the easiest CI platform to get started with. With very little configuration, you can create a nice CI/CD pipeline. It also supports a build matrix feature, which makes it easy to run tests with different configurations.

Cons

If you need to do some really custom builds, you are limited by Travis CI's configuration options.